Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 9, 11:05 AM

Feb 2021
Watch anime on pirate sites they said.
So you can get "accurate" translations they said.

Yeah right...
Apr 9, 11:04 PM

Apr 2015
This is how you do a first episode, Looking forward to the songs and the CGI is really fluid and characters are so expressive. I'm sold.
Apr 10, 4:25 AM

Aug 2008
Reply to removed-user
@delta5 You are a superficial viewer.
@Sorachin

They're a dime a dozen. But well, people are entitled to have their shitty opinions, so it's whatever haha

Anyway, good first ep. The animation took me some getting used to, but it's not Toei's first rodeo with this style. It's pretty good. Seems like CGI-style animation is pretty popular with girl bands anime nowadays, Bang Dream does it all the time if I recall. Also, I guess this is based of an IRL band, like Bang Dream anime are? The FMC's seiyuu/musician is also a 17 YO. Pretty talented. Liking the vibes so far on this anime, I hope it keeps up with this quality.
Apr 11, 1:51 AM

Oct 2020
Very strong first episode. I was very hyped for this and it definitely exceeded my expectations with this first episode, the cg is incredible, the music is incredible, I loved the first episode.
Apr 11, 10:02 PM

Mar 2008
Stupid crunchyroll for dropping the ball on so many series this season, this one included. First episode was quite enjoyable.
Apr 11, 10:40 PM

Jan 2011
I enjoy the story and characters. But that animation style is just god awful. I will never get used to it, it just sucks.
Apr 12, 4:13 AM
Mar 2022
ITS SOOOOO GOOD YOU GUYS loved the animation and music and characters 10/10 will be tuning in for more
Apr 12, 6:57 PM

Feb 2017
did anyone else's subs use the word "joever"? I guess that's part of the fan sub experience lol. I really enjoyed this first episode though. Gave me a kinda similar vibe to A Place further than the Universe. I like the characters already and I don't even mind the cgi here at all. looks pretty good and I'm usually the type who's put off by fully cgi series.
Apr 12, 8:19 PM

Feb 2017
Apparently the script writer for this series is the same as A Place Further than the Universe's, I guess that's why it felt similar to me. It's got the same sort of hopeful dream-chasing characters who are a bit in over their heads. Makes me even more excited to see where this is going to go. might be the dark horse anime of the season.
Apr 13, 10:50 PM
Oct 2018
The cg animation is very nice, and characters faces are suprisingly expresive
Apr 14, 3:00 AM
Oct 2018
Of cause CR dont want to distribute an anime featuring the finger lol
Apr 14, 10:46 PM
Aug 2022
I don't really like 3D design but the story it provides is very interesting. Music anime always provide good stories for me. their life before they became a band, their steps to forming a band. they convey feelings that can be felt too, through their songs they convey their true feelings. by singing everything will be released. i feel that.
Apr 16, 11:54 AM

Sep 2016
Holy shit, that way better than I expected.
Apr 16, 12:51 PM
Feb 2024
CG looked solid, I did cringe a little when she dropped the guitar.
Apr 17, 3:44 PM
Mar 2021
Exceeded my expectations: The animation, even though it's made in 3D, it's beautiful!!! And that scene when she show her middle finger made laugh loud!
Apr 19, 3:59 AM

Sep 2013
A good watch. The animation is great, the musics good, though it can be a bit cringey.
Apr 20, 10:35 AM
Jul 2019
Oh goodie, full-on CG.

Dropped. Garbage.
Apr 22, 10:16 AM
Jan 2023
Guitar falling to the ground hurt me deeply :(
Apr 23, 9:04 AM

Aug 2013
Holy shit this anime looks good. Who knew all they needed to do to make 3D anime look good is to make it look like a videogame cutscene without botched FPS?
Apr 25, 12:30 AM
Apr 2021
good impression left with the first episode! cool voice acting and impressive visuals and a plot thats kept me pretty hooked so far
May 5, 7:23 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
This ain't so bad actually, I'll watch a couple more episodes at the very least.

NYANPASU
whiskey tango foxtrot

May 13, 4:47 PM

Oct 2014
Where can I watch this yuri bait anime?

Theres none in Crunchyroll, Netflix, Hulu, MuseAsia, AniOne

Is this anime forcing me to go watch pirated sketchy anime website?

So yeah, how do you guys watch this anime?
May 25, 11:23 AM

Aug 2022
That was nice, though I noticed some weird translated moments from the few Japanese words I know. I decided to pay no thought until the final scene and saw this:

Then I learned it's fansubbed and now Idk if I should watch the rest cuz of the fear of being trolled or missing the real experience.
𝓘 𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓯𝓪𝓵𝓵𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓲𝓷 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓻𝓪𝓬𝓽𝓮𝓻𝓼 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓾𝓷𝓲𝓿𝓮𝓻𝓼𝓮𝓼.

May 25, 12:57 PM

Jun 2019
LavenderHaze said:
Then I learned it's fansubbed and now Idk if I should watch the rest cuz of the fear of being trolled or missing the real experience.

The best bet is to torrent it if the anime pirate websites still have the low quality machine translated versions or the worst from among the fansub options as their sole available versions. Since early on there have been several different competing fansub versions floating around. And from my understanding, because it wasn't licensed in the U.S. or any other English-speaking country but only in France out of all the Western countries, at least the original MTL versions put up were especially bad and like a telephone game because it was janky AI-translated from the French translation of the original Japanese.

There are fansub versions which are much better and more smooth, comparable in quality to any other English-subbed series (whether those officially licensed and translated from the major legal streaming sites, or just those fansubbed like back in the olden days with the prominent fansub groups which took their work seriously and strove for a balance of accuracy and coherence without huge spelling, grammatical, and syntax errors, or inserting translators' biases or memes).

That's what I've been doing for the majority of its run anyway.
WatchTillTandavaMay 25, 1:01 PM
May 25, 4:42 PM

Aug 2022
Reply to WatchTillTandava
LavenderHaze said:

The best bet is to torrent it if the anime pirate websites still have the low quality machine translated versions or the worst from among the fansub options as their sole available versions. Since early on there have been several different competing fansub versions floating around. And from my understanding, because it wasn't licensed in the U.S. or any other English-speaking country but only in France out of all the Western countries, at least the original MTL versions put up were especially bad and like a telephone game because it was janky AI-translated from the French translation of the original Japanese.

There are fansub versions which are much better and more smooth, comparable in quality to any other English-subbed series (whether those officially licensed and translated from the major legal streaming sites, or just those fansubbed like back in the olden days with the prominent fansub groups which took their work seriously and strove for a balance of accuracy and coherence without huge spelling, grammatical, and syntax errors, or inserting translators' biases or memes).

That's what I've been doing for the majority of its run anyway.
@WatchTillTandava I see. For a better experience, I'm thinking of putting it on hold and wait for a more accessible way to watch it. Here's hoping it gets licensed ):
𝓘 𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓯𝓪𝓵𝓵𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓲𝓷 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓻𝓪𝓬𝓽𝓮𝓻𝓼 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓾𝓷𝓲𝓿𝓮𝓻𝓼𝓮𝓼.

May 25, 5:37 PM
Sep 2010
Reply to ComediNyan
Guitar falling to the ground hurt me deeply :(
@ComediNyan Everyone else is complaining about the CGI. my main problem was watching the MC run around in the rain with that guitar and dropping it.
May 26, 5:29 AM

Sep 2013
i wish the pacing was much slower, it feels like the scenes were running at like double speed the entire time. also dont feel like it matches well with the lower tone vocal delivery direction the show has.
May 26, 12:12 PM
Aug 2019
Very promising first episode.
May 28, 10:18 AM
Feb 2024
Peak Music Anime, Absolute Cinema o(* ̄▽ ̄*)ブ
May 28, 7:23 PM
Jan 2019
Finally what was missing out of cgi, something to add to the story. Well, more directly, it makes the character expressions more alive and makes the atmosphere feel more real. I can't say the animation is perfect, but when you can see the passion you know that they are doing something right!
Jun 2, 5:59 AM
Feb 2012
Housing in Kawasaki is not cheap. One of the expensive area in Kanagawa.
[FelineYogi]
Jun 4, 8:44 AM
Aug 2021
Reply to iMack56
@ComediNyan Everyone else is complaining about the CGI. my main problem was watching the MC run around in the rain with that guitar and dropping it.
@iMack56 as a guitar player myself, that hurt my core.
Jun 11, 10:42 AM
Jul 2021
very very cute and funny
Jun 21, 11:31 AM
Feb 2020
WHY IS THIS ANIME SO PRETTY WTF ITS AMAZING WTF
this is my new bocchi teh rocjk
Jun 23, 4:00 PM
Mar 2024
el cgi no esta mal le puedo dar una oportunidad
Jun 27, 9:47 AM
Jul 2023
that shit was good as fuck!!!!
Jun 29, 11:12 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well, now the show is rated really high and I'm only starting it, I believe it gets much better later, so far the animation is ehhh special I would say and that's a classic beginning with the main girl moving to Tokyo and being unsure about her future and her feelings because people didn't trust her and made her feel like she was useless, meeting the other girls from the band she loves was nice but she's struggling with her career too and has to move, giving her guitar to MC, but seems like they're already getting reunited at the end of the episode
Jun 30, 3:16 PM

Oct 2017
Story/setting is nothing new but I did like the episode and specially the animation. Looked really well and fluid. The song at the end and the animation were both good.
Jul 1, 6:42 AM

Sep 2021
Saw this one rated above 8. Watches episode 1.

Glad I like it!
Jul 2, 7:20 PM
Aug 2021
It's nice to see their expression and the first song played were good.
Jul 6, 3:48 PM

Apr 2010
Holy sheit this anime is so good, it came out of nowhere too. The 3D graphics is amazing in this, and it will keep getting better I bet.
Jul 7, 11:55 AM
Sep 2021
Damn, this looks like poop, dropped.
Jul 9, 1:14 PM

Sep 2014
Ok I feel like a total fool now for not picking this up when it aired. Seeing "music" and "3d CG" just put me off, but this is already really good.

Most surprisingly the animation is also good?! I mean sure its 3d CG but the facial expressions are just like normal anime.

Time to ruin my sleep schedule engirely and binge watch this until 3 am
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jul 14, 8:43 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Back in Spring 2024 once again to hit another I missed out on, it will probably be this way for a while because I pretty much wanted to watch this whole season lol, and this was one I actually knew about before it came out and really wanted to pick it. I unfortunately didn’t but I’m here now, and I’m ngl this was quite the good first episode. Only other completely CG anime I’ve watched is “Revisions” but I didn’t finish that one (I plan to go back for it someday), I gotta say tho this looked quite good despite that, at least the backgrounds and the main characters do, I noticed the unimportant characters and the cat look kinda off but other than that it’s hard to complain, it’s just gonna take some getting used to lol.

And of course this being a music anime I gotta comment on the music, and damn it is good, very good OP and the song at the end of this episode rocked, those two they were running from at the start of the episode knew the assignment lol, the rainy backdrop really enhanced it too, and Momoka looks badass playing that blue electric guitar, Nina didn’t look half bad singing either. And speaking of Nina and Momoka, I’m definitely liking them so far, the middle fingers gag was pretty funny, and I love their designs. I also wanted to mention it’s unfortunate this did not get officially licensed, it’s really surprising, but it did at least get me to laugh out loud when I read “joever” in the subs lmao, I’m not even mad, it’s perfect.

And with that I’m ready to see what hot jams these babes cook up as we progress, and maybe I can make jam band references even if the music they play is a different genre lol.
TheColonel76Jul 14, 8:46 PM
Jul 18, 5:08 PM
Mar 2019
That was quick finding a band member, but who cares.
Nice vocals all through.
Aug 4, 10:41 PM

Jun 2024
Is CGI the bright future for anime? It's so beautiful...

And why are the girls pointing their middle fingers at me!?
Aug 15, 1:01 PM

Nov 2017
That animation is weird, and it's the same plot as jellyfish.

Oh well, better than anything in the west that's for sure.
Aug 16, 1:44 AM
Dec 2017
Reply to DarkInsomnia57
That animation is weird, and it's the same plot as jellyfish.

Oh well, better than anything in the west that's for sure.
@DarkInsomnia57

> and it's the same plot as jellyfish

The plots of Jellyfish and GBC diverge quickly and their end games are completely different! As you know, Yorukura has a rather haphazard and quite illogical "happy ending" meanwhile GBC ... have to see it for yourself!

> That animation is weird

You need to watch beyond ep1, as the 3D-CGI animation becomes very much fluent and highly expressive (maybe even exaggerated). Toei's / GBC's affordable, yet effective mo-cap tech is revolutionary for the anime industry.

Btw, the 104th Comiket was held this past weekend in Tokyo and will be memorable for two reasons: unbearable "spoiled cheese" stench at the giantic Blue Archives booth due to HVAC failure and the longest ever line observed (app. 300m / 1000ft long) as masses of otaku waited to buy character designer Teshima Nari's booklet for Girls Band Cry... It sold out so quickly, crew had to promise on site for a reprint run via mail order, just to disperse those who ended up empty handed. Overseas, China and South Korea have been flooding Bilibili (~asian YT) with GBC fanart videos.
Aug 16, 1:52 AM
Dec 2017
Reply to bushman66
That was quick finding a band member, but who cares.
Nice vocals all through.
@bushman66
> That was quick finding a band member

Chinese fans have noticed a minor hidden detail: drummer girl wears the very same seifuku uniform which the ex-idol wore back when she attended high school in Hokkaido. Thus drummer girl may have already been a fan of ex-idol or they have known each other previously, so it couldn't be difficult for ex-idol to scout a drummer for the Shin-Kawasaki (temporary name) all girls band.
Tacsk0Aug 19, 2:36 PM
Sep 7, 6:39 AM
Dec 2020
holy moly, everything was so expressive and fluid, masterful use of music in the scenes. truly amazing from start to finish
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Jun 28

160 by Tacsk0 »»
Oct 18, 6:26 AM

» What you guys think about the main characters?

negatives - May 3

30 by Railey2 »»
Oct 6, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - May 24

112 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Sep 19, 6:03 PM

» GBC to receive smartphone game adaptation.

Tacsk0 - Aug 31

9 by akatsukinoluna »»
Sep 19, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 6 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 10

42 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Sep 18, 6:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.