Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2023 6:29 AM

Nov 2011
Well, it's interesting to pair up Chise and Veronica.

Got some lore and storytelling coming from her. Tbh, it's an unusual pair but Chise used the opportunity to understand her and the world better. An interesting episode overall imo as it showed more of Chise's curious personality and activites around school.
Oct 26, 2023 8:17 AM

Apr 2016
Well its been long overdue to get some backstory of Philomela and the blonde rich lady girl Veronica, they truly are one of a piece those two aren't they, i still can't quite figure out Veronica quite yet, she still a mystery.

And while we also got some pep talk about the red haired twin siblings, this episode pretty much was all about Philomela and Veronica.
Oct 26, 2023 8:39 AM

Feb 2021
肝試し (kimodameshi lit. "guts trial") - test of courage (by going to a frightening place, e.g. a graveyard)
13:47 So the hatchling in the OP comes from this scene! And there is also young Philomela in a birdcage. I'm liking this OP more and more.
A part of me wanted to see what would happen if Rian answered the mirror.
This was a good episode focused on characters and their backstories. And I want to see more.
The ending with the spirit of the student was quite funny. But this also implies that they died at the College...
Oct 26, 2023 10:29 AM
Mar 2020
based reasons for crossdressing
Oct 26, 2023 10:58 AM
Aug 2020
great episode
some deep conversations
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 26, 2023 11:04 AM
Sep 2023
I've always loved the flashback with Veronica here, since I first saw it in the manga. She's a very fascinating character, equal parts sympathetic and disturbing, very difficult to read.
Oct 26, 2023 12:16 PM

Apr 2016
Reply to fast2611
based reasons for crossdressing
@fast2611 More like sad, these children all have very sad lives due to their magus lineages.
Oct 26, 2023 12:31 PM
Mar 2020
Reply to Swagernator
@fast2611 More like sad, these children all have very sad lives due to their magus lineages.
@Swagernator Oh I'm not talking about his sister, thats obviously pretty fucked up.
But yaknow, "I'm doing it cause I like it, and I dont care if my family judges me" is a pretty friggin positive attitude to have, especially with the sorcerer families in this setting

Oct 26, 2023 12:41 PM

Apr 2016
Reply to fast2611
@Swagernator Oh I'm not talking about his sister, thats obviously pretty fucked up.
But yaknow, "I'm doing it cause I like it, and I dont care if my family judges me" is a pretty friggin positive attitude to have, especially with the sorcerer families in this setting

@fast2611 Yes but he does it because of his sister.
Oct 26, 2023 12:45 PM
Mar 2020
Reply to Swagernator
@fast2611 Yes but he does it because of his sister.
@Swagernator So, was the flashback we saw this episode a lie? Or are you just mixing up the two of them?
Oct 26, 2023 12:46 PM

Sep 2014
I do like this show but the constant Philomela sobstory gets tiring, it never evolves. We got some backstory now sure but nothing changed.

The pacing in general just seems a bit odd, with the weird furry getting a few seconds of screentime each ep and nothing else. Im all for building up events over time but if nothing happens you might as well just combine it and give us a coherent version.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 26, 2023 12:59 PM

Dec 2013
That was a nice background information and lore regarding the magic society and the families, everyone is carrying their own cross. There is no way those puppies are even alive : (
Oct 26, 2023 1:03 PM

Feb 2022
i really like the ghost part feels like Hogwarts.
Oct 26, 2023 1:20 PM

May 2015
Well, it could be a good Halloween episode, I think.
Oct 26, 2023 6:02 PM
May 2017
A very good episode, as expected! Junna's voice is delicious.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Oct 26, 2023 6:49 PM
Aug 2021
It would be nice if the story actually moved along. I’m always hoping for some progression but nothing ever happens. What happened to last week’s ending? What did grandma start? Why can’t it be a tiny bit linear? Great series but every week you can’t plant a nugget and then not move it along afterwards.
Oct 26, 2023 6:50 PM

Apr 2022
back to the nurse's office for chise huh.
Oct 26, 2023 7:14 PM

Sep 2016
He did answer to the mirror, did he. They're playing it as he got interrupted but the scene cutting and the part where the teacher notices something and he brushes him off...hmmmm

Imo he got swapped with his reflection.
bruh
Oct 26, 2023 7:32 PM
Mar 2015
the people are much scarier than any monster or horror movie
Oct 26, 2023 8:47 PM

May 2022
Comander-07 said:
I do like this show but the constant Philomela sobstory gets tiring, it never evolves. We got some backstory now sure but nothing changed.

The pacing in general just seems a bit odd, with the weird furry getting a few seconds of screentime each ep and nothing else. Im all for building up events over time but if nothing happens you might as well just combine it and give us a coherent version.

I’m feeling the same way. I hope Philomela’s story doesn’t have a tragic ending but it’s starting to make my eyes look like hers after I watch each week. I’m also starting to dislike Rian.
Oct 26, 2023 10:42 PM

Feb 2014
Violet's idea of having a test with the seven wonders of the college was pretty enjoyable, as it gave a good amount of character interactions with some added backstories, like with Violet and his sister, Jasmine, and their reasons for crossdressing.

The most interesting conversations was Chise/Veronica and Violet/Rian. The former gave a bit a backstory on Veronica's part as to how she and Philomela was first acquainted. Even then, Veronica does have that air of mystery around her, although hearing her reasons does make me respect her more.

The latter was mostly due to Violet giving Rian a piece of his mind, which was very much needed. I wasn't expecting the mirror to show Rian the younger Philomela for a brief second, though.

In the end, everyone succeeded and they all watched a low budget Shark movie (Sharknado, eat your heart out!) before they were told to head back to their rooms. Elias appearing and telling Chise to go somewhere upon a request was interesting, same goes for the wolf women appearing on the roofs at the end of the episode. I don't expect this calmness to last much longer.
Oct 27, 2023 4:16 AM

Dec 2018
none of these episodes are bad per se, but put all together and it's a boring slog. is this entire season going to be about philomela? i'm honestly sick of it.
Oct 27, 2023 2:29 PM
Sep 2018
A shark on mountains as a scary movie would be something to defo check out!
Oct 28, 2023 2:48 AM
Oct 2021
lmfao Veronica really said to Chise "Mind your own damm business" indirectly 🤣
Oct 28, 2023 6:08 AM

Dec 2008
Ancient Magus Bride at college is as entertaining as it feels completely out of place and different than season 1.
Chise and Elias could probably help Philomela a lot more with her problem with the slave driver grandma.
Veronica could also do something about the nasty treatment of her underling.

I really hope Philomela can be happier in the future, as I think that she is quite adorable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 28, 2023 9:03 AM

Sep 2017
Pretty slow episode. They really went all in on the test of courage after Chise just happened to bring it up last episode. Mostly just learning more about Philo and Veronica. Also telling Rian to stop being kind of a dick. Seems we are finally seeing the wolf dude again from episode 1 I believe.
Oct 28, 2023 11:59 AM

Sep 2014
Reply to CHT13
Comander-07 said:

I’m feeling the same way. I hope Philomela’s story doesn’t have a tragic ending but it’s starting to make my eyes look like hers after I watch each week. I’m also starting to dislike Rian.
@CHT13 hopefully there will be some big payoff with Philomela and Rian, because otherwise I dont understand why there is so much melodrama about Rian.
Oct 28, 2023 12:46 PM

May 2022
Reply to Comander-07
@CHT13 hopefully there will be some big payoff with Philomela and Rian, because otherwise I dont understand why there is so much melodrama about Rian.
@Comander-07 I know, right? I love the series but this part has just been a little disappointing in certain aspects. I do like the setting in the school though. The end of the last episode looks like things are going to get interesting again. Hopefully
Oct 28, 2023 9:21 PM
Mar 2019
Cool Halloween episode. On to the next.
Oct 28, 2023 9:29 PM

Nov 2012
I keep thinking Philomela is a werewolf maybe one of the werewolf's cubs. I don't think the hair color is coincidental.
Oct 29, 2023 3:10 AM

Oct 2017
Wait there really was a ghost lol. Philomela, Rian, Isaac stuff was okay.
Oct 29, 2023 7:54 AM

Sep 2014
Reply to CHT13
@Comander-07 I know, right? I love the series but this part has just been a little disappointing in certain aspects. I do like the setting in the school though. The end of the last episode looks like things are going to get interesting again. Hopefully
@CHT13 it seems too calm for me. With the seemingly never happening climax to the philomela arc we just have normal school life even though there should be way more interesting things on the horizon. We didnt even really get an update on who has that cursed book either and well the furry never really does anything either..
Oct 29, 2023 6:34 PM

Jul 2016
4/5 episode. Really liked how they used the "test of courage" as excuse to give tons of depth to most side characters.
Though Veronica and Violet can choke on sand for all I care. They both are just being plain selfish.

So... was that the ghost of the student who hanged themself 30 years ago?
Oct 30, 2023 3:48 AM
Sep 2017
This slow flow of investigation, intrigue and tasteful suspense really sells the take the series has taken.
It is a school life slice of life, but it's not just that.

The setting is providing with good character development for all the involved parts, and the narrative mechanism used for this episode in particular was really well integrated.

Overall, it was a really enjoyable experience, although I can understand it may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Nov 6, 2023 2:56 AM
Dec 2022
The test of courage episode. This should be interesting. A back story on how Veronica first met Philomena. Something is making the students fall ill.
Nov 7, 2023 6:32 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Boring episode....
Value test in a world of phenomena? Hilarious!!
Nov 9, 2023 2:25 AM

Jul 2017
The students ready for the night's test of courage, and Chise is tagged with Veronica to tell of the history between her and Philomela. And what a distraught history it is between the two girls of Veronica's Rickenbauer family being served by Philomela's Sergeant family, she is a great deal of mystery.

The conversation to Rian about the St. George siblings of Jasmine and Violet, both wanting to become like the other, is also kinda interesting to see from each other's POV. Even between Isaac and Rian, one feels inferior while the other is indifferent, it's customary that they feel the emotions fuelled for one another. Everyone ended up reaching the observatoryobservator and got to watch a horror movie, and indeed it had a horror element of an impostor ghost.

At the very least, the test of courage was a success.
Nov 16, 2023 5:48 PM

Mar 2010
I can't lie I'm fallen mad in love with this Philmolena gal... I can't resist her hopeless baggy eyes no more.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 23, 2023 12:03 PM

May 2020
Did they forget to get startled over the appearance of that ghost of the girl who hanged herself 30 years ago or do they just not care lol.

Also as if we didn't already know that blonde girl was beyond toxic, that they needed to remind us through a backstory.

"tHiS Is nOt a rEQuEsT. iT Is aN oRdEr". FUCK YOU.
Dec 11, 2023 7:40 PM

Aug 2019
Imma be honest, I miss seeing Elias.
Jan 11, 10:28 AM

Aug 2019
night exploring game thingie.
veronica x chise yuri when?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 1:17 AM

Jul 2008
We need more Elias in this....and yeah I don't like Veronica after all.
Jan 18, 10:52 PM

Feb 2013
I wonder why Isaac is always shown with half of his face covered/cut off

BTW; ths movie they were watching actually exists
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2622826/
<-click
Jan 22, 11:45 AM
Jun 2023
Reply to Sun_Chan
@Sun_Chan 😭😭 I feel u. My heart races each time he gets at least a minute of screentime. Otherwise this part of the season just leaves me quite apathetic.
Jan 22, 11:45 AM
Jun 2023
Reply to Sun_Chan
@Sun_Chan 😭😭 I feel u. My heart races each time he gets at least a minute of screentime. Otherwise this part of the season just leaves me quite apathetic.
Apr 16, 6:48 PM

Jun 2015
That was the best episode so far.

I love that Veronica didn't paint herself as a saint when talking to Chise and she doesn't pretend to want to help Philomela. She knows exactly what Philomela is going through and knows that she can't do anything. I love that scene where she tells Philomela that if they're going to live in a cage for their entire life then at least it should be a nicer cage. I'm glad that I was wrong about Veronica being a secret villain and being schadenfreude at her struggles. Her grandmother is still a mega bitch no matter what.

Mommy vibes

I loved that Isaac and Violet gave it straight to Rian that he's way more gifted and special than he thinks he is. There are a lot of special people who think that they're just like everyone else and hold normal people around them to that same absurd standard. He needs to apologize to Philomela for his outburst and not understanding that she has a cruel and miserable existence in this world right beneath him. Isaac is a real brother man, we all need an Isaac.

Chise reminds me of Aladdin from Magi a little bit with how she reacts to information presented to her.

That ghost in the end was so telegraphed last episode but I still couldn't figure it out. Hilarious prank that Chise and Violet came up with.
Apr 30, 8:40 AM

Apr 2013
Didn't expect them to watch a shitty shark movie. Isaac x Philomela is my favorite ship in this so far.
Sep 21, 11:44 PM

Feb 2019
I've been wanting to learn more about some of these characters for so long and this episode didn't disappoint. Especially Isaac and Rian, I can never get enough of them. I also think it's very cute how Lucy and Ivey are getting along so well too. This was just such a nice fun episode. It's a lot like some of the warm feelings you get in the first season, but still with a different flavor. I'm sure it's only gonna keep getting darker so this was probably a much-needed respite from that
"Do you believe in gravity?"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2023

86 by combi2015 »»
Oct 7, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Part 2 Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2023

43 by Ononoki_Chan »»
Aug 8, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2023

43 by snowykevin »»
Aug 6, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2023

32 by Code0018 »»
Jun 11, 11:49 PM

» Where all romance gone?

xakpc - Dec 25, 2023

10 by Gator »»
May 4, 3:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.