Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Higeki no Genkyou to Naru Saikyou Gedou Last Boss Joou wa Tami no Tame ni Tsukushimasu. Episode 9 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2023 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
Damn, a past event in Pride's life just came back.

Not going to lie, I think this episode was really intense on emtions. That criminal looks like he held anger and emotions and directed all towards Pride. Probably not an evil person but that could've been much worse than it looked. 
Aug 31, 2023 9:03 AM

Dec 2021
Geez, Val restrains his violence from being directed towards anyone, but he unleashes it on inanimate objects, especially when he's grappling with complex emotions. Despite his remarkable abilities, he remains unable to channel those skills effectively.

Val presents himself as indifferent to the children, initially viewing them as mere orphans tagging along, seeking his protection. However, over time, their shared experiences lead to their growth as an integral part of him. This also marks the first instance in his life where he experiences genuine emotions and concern for another. These newfound feelings are so unfamiliar that he struggles to process or articulate them, resulting in an inability to express his deep affection for Kemet and Sefec. Tiara notices his internal anguish, while Pride successfully guides him to recognize that he has discovered a newfound family worth safeguarding. Junichi Suwabe truly excels in delivering exceptionally moving performances in 2023.

Aug 31, 2023 9:07 AM

Feb 2019
Weekly Pride Appreciation Post

That last scene with Pride and Val crying together is exactly why I love this series. People who hate on it in their reviews talk about “nothing happening” like it’s a battle shonen.

There’s not supposed to be a lot of action in this series. It’s about pride winning over one person at a time and establishing these interpersonal relationships. Not every fantasy series needs to be defeating a demon lord or a big adventure.

Seeing people like Val, with such cold and prickly exteriors gradually melting away and revealing their true vulnerabilities is so satisfying. Kermet and Sefec may have started out as nuisances, but somewhere along the way they have become his genuine family.

I just love how Pride handled this situation. Everyone knew val needed help, but she just needed him to come out and say it. Telling everyone to leave the room and facing him one on one was a great decision and ultimately paid off. Seeing how she navigates these situations is always so interesting. Arthur, Stale, Gilbert and now Val have all had their own unique issues and she’s been able to find ways to reach each one!

Can’t wait for next ep.
Marinate1016Aug 31, 2023 9:30 AM
Aug 31, 2023 9:45 AM
Sep 2015
The mechanism of fealty contract is much more cruel than slave contract.
Aug 31, 2023 9:48 AM

Mar 2013
Nice character development! Finally!
This is the character that I've been waiting to change for the good. To think his feelings have yet to know what a family is because of his past. How this was portrayed really clearly in this episode with such clearance was wonderfully executed. I will not be the one to hate this because of just one aspect of the story because of the slavery things , thanks to Pride, he can finally change for the better.
However, he made Tiara cry... *angry noises*

A tool is neither good nor evil. Whoever uses them can be called good or evil but no one can be good because only God is truly good.
CrazyButNot4UAug 31, 2023 10:58 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Aug 31, 2023 10:40 AM

Jun 2015
The deconstruction of reborn in a game world is close. Probably one of he best shows this season
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Aug 31, 2023 11:53 AM
Nov 2022
There was no real attachment to the character in the first place, now they want to make us feel sad?! The basics of making a sad scene are to first make the viewer attached to a character and then show some sad backstory or death or some predicament that would make the viewer sad and tearful.

But here there's no good development of the story or attachment to characters. Frankly right now I wouldn't care no matter who died in this anime. This episode was CRINGE. So long and just boring.
Aug 31, 2023 11:58 AM

Apr 2022
So much talking, and almost the whole episode was set in a single room... Cool 1 or 2 moments, ultimately boring as heck.
Aug 31, 2023 12:12 PM

Dec 2018
Overly melodramatic; it was less touching and emotional, and more annoying and drawn out.
Aug 31, 2023 12:59 PM

Jul 2019
What a dramatic episode with some intense feelings!
Other places where to find me:

☆ AO3/FF/tumblr/YouTube: Tuliharja
☆ Pixiv: Tuliharja/72847426
☆ DA: Tuliharja-art
Aug 31, 2023 4:17 PM
Apr 2018
RenTaichi said:
There was no real attachment to the character in the first place, now they want to make us feel sad?! The basics of making a sad scene are to first make the viewer attached to a character and then show some sad backstory or death or some predicament that would make the viewer sad and tearful.

But here there's no good development of the story or attachment to characters. Frankly right now I  wouldn't care no matter who died in this anime. This episode was CRINGE. So long and just boring.
Spoken like a true sociopath.  There isn't enough grass in the world that you need to touch.
Aug 31, 2023 4:19 PM

Apr 2021
felixsifuri said:
and almost the whole episode was set in a single room
That is called a bottle episode^^

I found it suprisingly powerful and moving, especially because of his inability to disobey her. He was kinda forced into a realization that he probably never would have achieved on his own...
Aug 31, 2023 7:15 PM

Apr 2022
StateofOhayo said:
Overly melodramatic; it was less touching and emotional, and more annoying and drawn out.
this sums it up quite right.
Aug 31, 2023 7:51 PM

Dec 2018
ryzxgum said:
StateofOhayo said:
this sums it up quite right.
i see some calling this sort of reaction "sociopathic" but really it just felt forced and hamfisted. like, instead of exposition dump, show us what he's been up to over time, have a B or C sub plot line following him and weave it all into the crescendo of the kids being abducted. but instead they just said "this happened oh and btw this is what i've been doing but i'm going to be edgy for 20 minutes while dumping this info, now be sad damnit". 
totally inorganic. i'm a huge cry baby sometimes when it comes to emotional scenes but this was not one at all. it also dragged on too long. if they had practiced "show don't tell" and nailed the timing, it would have had more impact.
Aug 31, 2023 8:30 PM

Apr 2015
This guy must have lived a pretty messed up life.
Aug 31, 2023 9:00 PM
Jul 2016
Val's just a big ol' tsundere now lmao.

This is first episode with new content for me, since the manga discontinued after the Gilbert arc. I'll be real, I was pretty bored watching the anime since I already read the manga. But the new content is interesting.

I also like seeing the limits of the Fealty contract. Even if Pride is using it in the most virtuous way she can, it's pretty brutal. Imagine how awful the Fealty contract was for Stale in the original timeline.
Aug 31, 2023 10:10 PM
Jul 2018
I had to drop the show after this episode. I know it's supposed to be about character and emotional development but everything felt forced, seemed nonsensical, and had pseudo-philosophical forced emotional development themes and forced therapy nonsense. I was iffy about that contract before but I was hoping pride/the show would make sense of it. They didn't...well kinda, the contract made Val recognize his feelings and his punishment to a certain extent but it was such a weird way to go about it and pride didn't even realize a lot of it until after Val started breaking down so even that argument in favor of the contract is a stretch.

Pride is starting to annoy me and she almost did seem like a villain in this episode. The show would actually be more interesting if Pride became a villain in a different way. Almost as if the self-righteousness, savior mentality turns her into a villain but the people around her don't see it and she literally destroys her country because of it. People would continue to see her as a savior (especially the nobles and royals).

Because of how she originally was as a villain in the game, she is now obsessed with trying to over-correct it too far to the other side to the point where she's blinded by it. The country would slowly degrade because of her actions but no-one can see it because they are blinded by her savior complex and her supposed intentions. That would be an interesting flip.

You can already see aspects of that with Arthur and Stale. They damn-near worship her and can't really see her faults except when she puts herself in harms way but even then they just go back to worshipping her after she succeeds. Their interactions with Val seemed so privileged and fake. Pride's interaction with Val seemed forced and almost unintentionally villainous and expecting a natural reaction out of val when it's literally forced out of him is psychotic. Pride basically abused this man and forced what she wanted out of him and forced him to depend on her. Then had the nerve to try to comfort him. This show is too ironic.
removed-userAug 31, 2023 10:18 PM
Aug 31, 2023 11:38 PM

Jun 2021
Val gave up on his stubbornness at last. Pride handled it well.
Sep 1, 2023 3:57 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
This episode was a bit of a rollercoaster while really not much happened, cool how that can happen lol. The situation with Val was an interesting one, and wow that dude was suffering on another level not just due to the feelings he didn’t understand, but also because of the contract. We haven’t really seen the contracts in full effect until now and it really did force every word and action out of him, you could tell he absolutely hated it too, you might argue that it’s cruel of Pride but I know she’s just trying to help too, and I’m betting she might release the contract once this situation is over.

But man, for a second I was thinking Val truly didn’t give a shit about the kids but no, the man just doesn’t have an idea on what it is he’s been feeling lol, once he explained the exact feelings he’s had it was clear. Also lucky lad got a Pride hug, I’m sure he wasn’t feeling lucky tho lol, looking forward to seeing where this arc goes!
Sep 1, 2023 7:54 AM
Mar 2015
He feels pain by being forced to think about other people
Sep 1, 2023 2:12 PM
Jan 2020
Twenty minutes of whining and crying that could have been in less than five.
Sep 1, 2023 7:58 PM

Mar 2008
That fealty contract really is crueler than I thought it would be how much it can control someone. It's worse than slavery because they cant even keep a secret and their actions are totally under control even without anyone watching over them. Even if Pride means well she could easily force someone to divulge things she would regret forcing out of them.

I actually like how they approached things with Val since it came out like a mystery on why he seemed to care but unable to lie say he didn't and keep acting like the same bastard he was before till the very last moment which is a more unique approach than a slow character progression you see done all over the place. I never would have expected a character like him would make me teary eyed.

Marinate1016 said:
That last scene with Pride and Val crying together is exactly why I love this series. People who hate on it in their reviews talk about “nothing happening” like it’s a battle shonen.

There’s not supposed to be a lot of action in this series. It’s about pride winning over one person at a time and establishing these interpersonal relationships. Not every fantasy series needs to be defeating a demon lord or a big adventure.

Seeing people like Val, with such cold and prickly exteriors gradually melting away and revealing their true vulnerabilities is so satisfying. Kermet and Sefec may have started out as nuisances, but somewhere along the way they have become his genuine family.

I just love how Pride handled this situation. Everyone knew val needed help, but she just needed him to come out and say it. Telling everyone to leave the room and facing him one on one was a great decision and ultimately paid off. Seeing how she navigates these situations is always so interesting. Arthur, Stale, Gilbert and now Val have all had their own unique issues and she’s been able to find ways to reach each one!

Yeah I don't really get why some people have difficulty with things like this. Maybe they just dont really relate or deal with different types of people enough to understand what it feels like on either side. It was all about people skills for Pride to read into his actions and be able to handle the situation on how to get to the bottom of things and comfort Val which is like trying to comfort an injured dog that is trying to bite you.
Sep 2, 2023 1:16 PM

Oct 2008
w0w! IMPRESSIVE Emotional episode! hats-off great performance by VA Junichi Suwabe to Val!
5/5.

Sep 2, 2023 9:45 PM

Oct 2022
It's hard to feel the emotions the anime is trying to convey when the solution to the problem is literally just mind control. It would have been better if Val willingly told Pride about the situation and about how much he cared about those children. Pride can still help him understand his feelings for the children and how much they mean to him but instead Pride just uses mind control to figure it out which destroys any sense of meaningful conversation and emotions from this episode.

-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
Sep 2, 2023 9:52 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to felixsifuri
So much talking, and almost the whole episode was set in a single room... Cool 1 or 2 moments, ultimately boring as heck.
@felixsifuri It's not an anime but a movie called 12 Angry Men is one of my favorite movies of all time and 95% of the movie takes place in a jury's room and it's basically all talking. Unfortunately I have to agree with you this episode was really boring but it can be done right is my point.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
Sep 3, 2023 2:36 AM

Apr 2022
Reply to WaffleMaster89
@felixsifuri It's not an anime but a movie called 12 Angry Men is one of my favorite movies of all time and 95% of the movie takes place in a jury's room and it's basically all talking. Unfortunately I have to agree with you this episode was really boring but it can be done right is my point.
WaffleMaster89 said:
It's not an anime but a movie called 12 Angry Men is one of my favorite movies of all time and 95% of the movie takes place in a jury's room and it's basically all talking.

Similar case with "The man from Earth", and I love that movie! A good screenplay goes a long way.
Sep 3, 2023 8:11 AM
Apr 2019
Reply to CrazyButNot4U
Nice character development! Finally!
This is the character that I've been waiting to change for the good. To think his feelings have yet to know what a family is because of his past. How this was portrayed really clearly in this episode with such clearance was wonderfully executed. I will not be the one to hate this because of just one aspect of the story because of the slavery things , thanks to Pride, he can finally change for the better.
However, he made Tiara cry... *angry noises*

A tool is neither good nor evil. Whoever uses them can be called good or evil but no one can be good because only God is truly good.
@astralkill00

I agree, a excellent character driven episode. The writing pulling back the layers of his emotions is on point.
Sep 3, 2023 3:57 PM
Dec 2018
Que episodio bom, gostei do drama com o bandido!
Quero ver como será o desevolvimento entre todos eles!
Sep 4, 2023 4:31 AM

Oct 2022
I was pissed off at first but wow that was emotional. Looks like he'll turn for the better now, thank goodness.
Sep 4, 2023 7:11 PM
Dec 2021
I can't deny it, this episode was quite powerful. </3 I almost broke into tears, I think I did.
Sep 5, 2023 2:45 AM

Jul 2017
Val makes a return, though him tumbling on the road being unconscious and injured, what's the geddup?

As usual, the reluctant servant who has sweared fealty to her before, it took all of Pride's commands to squeeze intel out of him, and this human trafficking business is to be stopped immediately, though it seems like he didn't want help to rescue them so that he can live a comfortable life using those same children as his servants. Entrusting Tiara to both Stale and Arthur, her sensitivity is too great of a burden to bear, and it's down to Pride and Val to save Kemet and Sefec.

Pride wanting to know the context of the story from Val, it seems that both Kemet and Sefec have been following his trails everywhere he goes. But the fealty contract forces Val to think from his heart against his head, and this is an emotion that he just will not understand. And to alleviate this pain, Pride compels to him of her own emotions that she felt playing as a villain.

All Val needed was understanding, and Pride did just that.
Sep 5, 2023 6:48 AM
Jul 2023
Hâte du prochain épisode !!! 🌸
Sep 5, 2023 8:44 AM
Jul 2018
annoying ass character.
9 Episode watched. meh.
isn't bad but isn't good either, i will probably leave a 5/10 if the last episodes don't get better.
Sep 5, 2023 10:15 AM

May 2015
This show is so awkward and boring. The premise is nothing new and I can vibe with that, but the execution is just really nothing special. 9 episodes in, and I still don't see why we should root for the main characters, everything is quite predictable. And Pride is not a very likeable character despite how desperately she tries to act good. That's actually a bit annoying, tbh.
Sep 6, 2023 10:41 AM

Dec 2009
OMG what has this anime been... It's been getting more gripping as time goes on. I keep finding myself wondering how it is so good.

That is indeed the perfect punishment, but also a reward, a life of repentance and reclaimed virtue.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Sep 8, 2023 6:08 AM
Apr 2023
Pride using her OP fighting skills really is something.
Looks like there will be more enemies coming in, most likely from a new enemy faction.
Sep 21, 2023 9:09 AM
Jun 2021
Nice Story + Music
Sep 21, 2023 12:44 PM
Apr 2017
His punishment is to know love and suffer from worrying about his loved ones.
Damn she is truly the last boss queen,truly devious.
Sep 25, 2023 9:48 AM

May 2018
I'm cryingggggggggggggggggg T_T
Sep 28, 2023 11:32 AM

Nov 2013
damn the way Pride talked to him giving him orders ... goosebumps lol
good thing Val can't hurt her, he probably wanted to hurt her pretty hard
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Sep 30, 2023 7:31 AM

Apr 2011
That was intense. But it dragged on.
Feb 23, 5:15 AM

Mar 2014
I hated this episode. There is no rational reason for princess to care about some rude criminal who was given a plenty of chances to show humility and remorse and is still annoying, loud and vulgar.

I know it's a fairytale but this guy should be executed for his behaviour long time before episode ends and this whole scene just drags on and on with boring questions and boring answers, everything overly and unrealistically dramatic. Why should I care about someone this rude and obnoxious. Doesn't make any sense, I didn't feel nothing in this episode but annoyance and boredom.
Apr 21, 1:49 PM

Aug 2019
like 80% of the episode was spent in that destroyed room
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 1:58 PM

May 2015
Best way to make a tsundere be honest? A magic contract that forces them to do so might be up there. Val definitely had a cruddy life if it took adulthood to finally learn to care about someone else.
Sep 21, 12:38 AM

Sep 2015
This was genuinely a good episode. While not much plot wise progressed, I think seeing how Val's emotions broke down and understanding what familial connections meant was touching. It also was done in a fairly organic and natural way, not rush as this type of stuff tends to be. After the first 3 episode, the pacing slowed down a lot to a fault but I think this level of pacing was perfect for the emotional and personality deconstruction. Even though we didn't experience it first hand, the way he was before, and the way he is now, and how he is in denial is actually good character development. It feels organic and not rush. It just happened behind the scenes until now, but we can FEEL that he has built up a connection even if not directly shown.

If all the episodes was this level of quality, I would rate this series higher, but this was more a exception than the standard unfortunately.

I really like the show's themes and concept, just wasn't executed well. Mainly pacing but also some narrative choices early on. Pride is very empathetic towards other given how much she cries and relates to other's suffering. That said, like how these last two episodes haven't seen her bemoaning how she'll be evil anymore. It seems she passively acknowledged she's not evil and won't be evil. I know a lot of people were annoyed about it, but the series definitely has gotten better over the past few episodes.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higeki no Genkyou to Naru Saikyou Gedou Last Boss Joou wa Tami no Tame ni Tsukushimasu. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2023

62 by zcv45 »»
Sep 21, 3:50 PM

Poll: » Higeki no Genkyou to Naru Saikyou Gedou Last Boss Joou wa Tami no Tame ni Tsukushimasu. Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2023

30 by zcv45 »»
Sep 21, 3:21 PM

Poll: » Higeki no Genkyou to Naru Saikyou Gedou Last Boss Joou wa Tami no Tame ni Tsukushimasu. Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2023

35 by zcv45 »»
Sep 21, 1:06 AM

Poll: » Higeki no Genkyou to Naru Saikyou Gedou Last Boss Joou wa Tami no Tame ni Tsukushimasu. Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2023

29 by zcv45 »»
Sep 20, 11:36 PM

Poll: » Higeki no Genkyou to Naru Saikyou Gedou Last Boss Joou wa Tami no Tame ni Tsukushimasu. Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2023

32 by zcv45 »»
Sep 20, 11:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.