Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2023 6:28 AM

Nov 2011
Rean and Lavi teaming up just like before...? Heh, that was rushed. No development at all but I guess they wanted them to be the heroes representing different sides of the war.

At least we do get to see Altina, Sara, etc in this finale. As for the show itself, this was really underwhelming. It doesn't adapt the mainline games and served more as a treat for the fans, rather than a faithful adaptation. They even showed profiles of the new Class VII but they don't make any important appearances :(
Stark700Mar 24, 2023 6:32 AM
Mar 24, 2023 7:32 AM
Aug 2014
Holy shit they didn't forget kevin.
It's a shame that I can't recommend this to get people to try the games, even though that was the purpose of the anime lol.
I still had fun watching and enjoyed the fan service tho.
Mar 24, 2023 7:51 AM
Dec 2021
Pretty rush but that was expected. Curse huh, That Ex arts was a good homage to the game Rean getting overtaken by his ogre power was unexpected, thought it will be the same as CS3 where His eyes Become Snake-like? That Infernal Gale really shows how good is his Eight Leaves technique even if the ogre powers is out of control. So main antagonist(Jayna) is a S huh. Talion is finding his own purpose all this time huh. Wait Rogan is one of the Jaegers in Juna Naval Fortress? Along with those Jaegers with him? Rean post war chat with Lavi and that Instructor comment, So they made Lavi one of the reasons for Rean to be a Instructor at Branch campus huh, Aurelia getting the Class 7 ready is planned by Musse right? Kevin appeared, Yes he appeared, Falcom really wants for Kevin to just appear in the credits scene of every kiseki related story(CSIV, Kuro, Correct me of there's more) and Renne too, She has part in every trails game(Sky, Crossbell, Cold Steel and Kuro). Altina telling she is Homuncili while Spiral of Erebos is on and Dialogues about CS3 and Rean reciting the teachings of Yun-ka-fai made the last seconds of the Anime a PV for CS3. Man that gave me enough boost to replay CS3 Again. So where's the Award Ceremony? Looks like Rean here still doesn't have a Idea that his Spirit Unification is not available? Will the anime release a OVA?
Mar 24, 2023 8:06 AM

Nov 2011
Kakeru_00115 said:
Pretty rush but that was expected. Curse huh, That Ex arts was a good homage to the game Rean getting overtaken by his ogre power was unexpected, thought it will be the same as CS3 where His eyes Become Snake-like? That Infernal Gale really shows how good is his Eight Leaves technique even if the ogre powers is out of control. So main antagonist(Jayna) is a S huh. Talion is finding his own purpose all this time huh. Wait Rogan is one of the Jaegers in Juna Naval Fortress? Along with those Jaegers with him? Rean post war chat with Lavi and that Instructor comment, So they made Lavi one of the reasons for Rean to be a Instructor at Branch campus huh, Aurelia getting the Class 7 ready is planned by Musse right? Kevin appeared, Yes he appeared, Falcom really wants for Kevin to just appear in the credits scene of every kiseki related story(CSIV, Kuro, Correct me of there's more) and Renne too, She has part in every trails game(Sky, Crossbell, Cold Steel and Kuro). Altina telling she is Homuncili while Spiral of Erebos is on and Dialogues about CS3 and Rean reciting the teachings of Yun-ka-fai made the last seconds of the Anime a PV for CS3. Man that gave me enough boost to replay CS3 Again. So where's the Award Ceremony? Looks like Rean here still doesn't have a Idea that his Spirit Unification is not available? Will the anime release a OVA?

There was no announcement or anything after the finale unless the TV version has something. For now, it's safe to assume this anime is over.
Mar 24, 2023 8:17 AM
Sep 2015
Good, there's a mutual understanding between both factions, avoiding the worst case scenario, which is infighting within good guys, and the bad side win by doing nothing.
It seems like this is just a tiny story of what the game  Trails of Cold Steel offer, but I doubt I'll have time to play 4-5 games.
Mar 24, 2023 9:04 AM
Jul 2015
Yeah safe to say that Falcom ended up making this anime as one big advertisement for the mobile game. The story will probably be much much better due to having more time to flesh out everything. Maybe even treating it as a visual novel to have more characters show their inner thoughts or stuff like that. 
Mar 24, 2023 9:20 AM

Feb 2021
I think that it is not the ending based on Rin's words at the end of the episode. I hope for the season 2 or some OVAs!

MemoreMar 24, 2023 9:27 AM
Mar 24, 2023 12:36 PM

Jan 2013
As a huge fan of the Cold Steel and Crossbell games I was pretty hyped for this anime but it was completely and utterly disappointing. They completely shafted the existing characters in favor of this new story which itself was just bad. There were some interesting themes with Lavi about what makes a hero but the execution was just completely awful. Half the show wasted on the new cast dicking around and when the plot finally starts it all felt very rushed and hollow. This was suppose to be about Rean and Altina being sent into a warzone to shop some Norhern Jaegers that did a coup before the imperial army rolls in and kills everything but instead he just shows up at the end for 2 minutes.

From what I remember Altina said in CS3 that during the North Ambrian war she was suppose to be supporting Rean but ended up being useless with Rean just protecting her and that's why she wants to be useful to him now. We saw none of that. There was barely even a war shown. Just Rean fighting some robots which is a Tuesday for him. Also the visuals were absolutely awful by even 10 year old standards. Their animation budget must have been non existent for this. If that was the case they should have just done something fun and simple like maybe an OVA with some of the old characters hanging out but instead we got this husk of a show.
To anybody even mildly interested in this series just go play the games. Don't even bother touching this unless you're already a fan and just wanna watch it for completion sake.
Mar 24, 2023 2:31 PM
Jun 2015
Jesus Christ! I already think the Coldsteel games are pretty bad but this anime managed to go to a whole new level of being bad. 

CS4 is awful. Hajimari is bad. 
Kuro 1 is good but Kuro 2 is horrible. 
This anime is d0g sh1t. 
RIP Trails Series I guess

Thankfully, the characters from the old class 7 almost didn't appear.
They don't deserve to suffer anymore from Falcom's bad writing.
Mar 24, 2023 2:52 PM

Sep 2021
I had a lot of hope for the show when it first started airing, but I'm sad to say I think the execution just didn't work, and I really, really wish Falcom could find a bigger budget if they want to adapt stories from their flagship series.

I've noticed a lot of people saying the same thing, and I have to agree: it's hard to figure out exactly who this anime is for. Even as someone who has played all of the games up to Kuro no Kiseki, it was nice to get some character cameos and interactions, but I don't think Kiseki's storytelling style really works in a standard, 12-episode cour format. The last few episodes were just really, really rushed, especially in this last episode. A lot of what we've heard through the games either didn't happen at all, or happened in a way that contradicted what we knew... and I know that's a thing that can just happen with anime adaptions. Sometimes it's even used to the advantage of the adaption, to give us a new perspective on things, or to add more depth to certain events- and that's what I was hoping would happen with Northern War. But it's obviously not what we got. Lavian and Rean teaming up just didn't feel earned at all. I saw what they were trying to do, with them maybe being two representations of a 'hero', and reconciling with each other through that- but what should have been an intense, emotional, and climactic moment, just fell flat. It was literally like "ok we fought for two seconds, plz help." And the animation just... my heart actually hurts thinking about what a Kiseki adaption could be like with an actual budget, and the proper time given to a studio who could then put some real love and care into the animation. This series has such great lore and incredible potential for worldbuilding and characters, so it's genuinely really sad to see this absolute lack of care in the presentation of the show.

I feel like I'm just venting right now, so I'll try to come up with some positives. I really enjoyed Lavian's arc in the show. The question of what it means to be hero, and seeing her wrestling with that question and also with the impact of her grandfather's legacy, was really, really great. My favorite episode was her just being at home, and getting those introspective moments that I know and love from the Kiseki series itself. And at its heart, in its best moments, at least Northern War did 'feel' like Kiseki. There was some great character banter at times, and even if there was an abundance of cameos, I appreciated seeing other characters acknowledged (like a certain green-haired priest and his squire).

Sadly though, I don't think I could recommend this to someone looking to get into the series, and I'd struggle to recommend it to someone who already does love the series. This adaption really deserved better. I can see the potential for something greater, for something that could have been truly special... but, in the end, it didn't hit the mark, not even close. I'd give it a super generous 4 out of 10, almost like... a momentary flash of light that just didn't manage to illuminate the darkness.

...I think this is the first time I've ever written so much in an episode discussion thread. I just have a lot of feelings about Kiseki, I guess. :3

I'm okay now... At least... I want to be able to say that.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingreadingart credit

Mar 24, 2023 3:17 PM
Jan 2018
If this is the full anime it would only be disappointing as it doesn't fit the game's story. I wouldn't be surprised if this was only the first chapter.
Mar 24, 2023 3:18 PM

Jun 2015
This end eps is pretty poignant to whats happening in eastern Europe right now. Going on close to a decade old war of an ethnic group fighting for freedom from a larger collective. Except this time the people coming in to save them have ired the wrath of the global industrial complex because why not throw shit at shit and require more money to be thrown at shit when a group of people just want to be with there ethnic partners. And we can profit from war by using every single weapon we can so we can produce more to deny them that right. We need a hero!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Mar 24, 2023 6:16 PM

Sep 2011
[font="\"Helvetica Neue\", HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif"]What a complete waste of time.  The "war" wasn't even a whole episode.  None of the original characters for the anime have any sort of interesting aspects or story to them.  All of the pointless cameos were the most desperate, lazy nostalgia pops imaginable.  And the production was just so bad.  One of the worst looking anime so far this year.  The only positive thing I can say was I liked the OP song.[/font]

[font="\"Helvetica Neue\", HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif"]The Northern War was more interesting in the form of Rean monologuing in CS3.[/font]
Mar 24, 2023 7:27 PM
Sep 2015
I was disappointed by this anime being a fan of Kiseki games. I will give a 5 overall, it had good things and some points were exciting but in the end, it was pretty average.
If they made this anime to promote a gacha game I don't want to play it/spend money on it.
Mar 24, 2023 8:48 PM
Oct 2021
Getting an anime adaptation of a source material you like is usually a joyous thing. The expectation is that you'll get to see familiar characters, familiar events, and familiar scenes brought to life using animation and voice acting. In the best case scenario, the animation goes above the source material, and makes even those who are familiar with it appreciate the story in new ways. In the worst case scenario, you wish they never bothered making the show, and wish that people don't judge the source by it.

Yeah this was a disaster from start to finish.

From Rean and Lavi's terrible "duel" and their "coordination". How a guy wearing the imperial uniform and driving an imperial soldat is now suddenly in the capital. Sara is suddenly here, Railway military police is suddenly here.

I almost lost it when the sky went dark, because we need that atmosphere lmao.
Freaking Altina just skateboards her way through a ton of archiasms and they fall like bowling pins lol. And then delivers Lavi and just peaces out as if the rest of the episode will give her something to do lol. Seriously, we're now leaving everything in Lavi's hands?

The entire scene with Jayna doesn't make a lick of mf-ing sense, I'm not even gonna bother with it. I can write an entire essay on it alone, but the short version is that it's superficialy made to give some stakes and moral dilemma to the mc, get her and Talion to work together and save the day, and deliver some weak, nonsensical lore about North Ambria. All while building nothing to set it up. All while having to rules we could follow to know why and how anything is happening. All while it is being driven by what could only be described as the lowest tier of trash villans, who meets a trash end like that. How Jayna can apparently cause curses and impact Rean's state is beyond me and it's so bullshit. This is the worst character in this show. Quite a feat when almost every original character seems to be running for that title.

Rogan got to do something cool at least, surprising Campanella. Though it is as stupid as everything else. He just opens a secret armory, grabs a hammer and destroys this device that we have established what it is in this episode. Them struggles to fight 2 archiasms. See, he is not Lavi, who can defeat a giant archiasm on her own like it's nothing. He needs Marty to come in and- wait. Marty? The guy we last saw getting surrounded by archiasms outside of Haliask? I guess he's here now.

Man. I laughed my ass off again when a bunch of civilians, too stupid to run from Valimar are just there to get in his way. No wonder this country is so doomed! The average civilian iq seems to be in single digits!.

And of course, we were all waiting to see Rean's rampage that was so significant to him in CS3. As it turns out, he was just a drama queen. It was nothing but a brief rampage, in which he still worked towards his goal, didn't hurt anyone, and wasn't his fault at all, but because of Jayna (somehow), and all was needed was to kill her to stop everthing.

And the end of the episode is just "REMEMBER THE GAMES??????". Pathetic. I knew they'd try to make Lavi significant, and lo and behold ! She's the one who gave him the idea that he should become an instructor! get outta here. Aurelia looking at the new class 7's profile, as if they forgot only 3 of them were originaly intended to be in class 7, and the other 2 were in different classes before moving into class7, but this anime won't stop sense and logic from putting in cameos to make people like it.

If I dig deeper I'd list even more and more and more problems with this heap of garbage. At least most people I've seen online seem  to agree, so there's still hope in humanity.

Plot that makes no sense and contradicts previously established events, driven by many plot-hole riddeled events and contrivances. Characters that are paper thin, with terrible motivations and arcs. Worldbuilding that isn't good, useful, or interesting, contradicts the source, and is delivered in the worst way possible. Dialogue that is so bad and makes no sense a lot of times, getting to cringey territory often. Characters can be wherever and do whatever the plot needs them to in order to happen, rather than having any consistancy.

1/10. I wish they never bothered.
Mar 24, 2023 8:58 PM

May 2018
VERY BAD ANIME. thumb down!
Mar 24, 2023 9:00 PM
Oct 2021
Roch2001 said:
This end eps is pretty poignant to whats happening in eastern Europe right now.  Going on close to a decade old war of an ethnic group fighting for freedom from a larger collective.  Except this time the people coming in to save them have ired the wrath of the global industrial complex because why not throw shit at shit and require more money to be thrown at shit when a group of people just want to be with there ethnic partners.  And we can profit from war by using every single weapon we can so we can produce more to deny them that right. We need a hero!
Jesse, What the fuck are you talking about?!
Mar 24, 2023 10:22 PM

Jul 2016
Good, but no more than that.

7/10
Mar 25, 2023 3:07 AM

Jun 2015
Secret333 said:
Roch2001 said:
This end eps is pretty poignant to whats happening in eastern Europe right now.  Going on close to a decade old war of an ethnic group fighting for freedom from a larger collective.  Except this time the people coming in to save them have ired the wrath of the global industrial complex because why not throw shit at shit and require more money to be thrown at shit when a group of people just want to be with there ethnic partners.  And we can profit from war by using every single weapon we can so we can produce more to deny them that right. We need a hero!

Stuff. what are you talking about? This show is a mirror of reality. maybe we watch things with different knowledge of the real world.
Mar 25, 2023 3:29 AM
Oct 2021
Roch2001 said:
Secret333 said:

Stuff.  what are you talking about?  This show is a mirror of reality.  maybe we watch things with different knowledge of the real world.
I don't believe the northern war was intended as a mirror for a real-life war going on right now. But do enlighten me if you think otherwise.
Mar 25, 2023 3:52 AM

Jun 2015
Secret333 said:
Roch2001 said:

Stuff.  what are you talking about?  This show is a mirror of reality.  maybe we watch things with different knowledge of the real world.
I don't believe the northern war was intended as a mirror for a real-life war going on right now. But do enlighten me if you think otherwise.

I do tend to get carried away sometimes with my diatribe. But I still think what is happening in show reflects what is going on right now in real world. And we definitely need a hero before w3 happens.
Mar 25, 2023 11:11 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Despite his official orders its always been Rean's nature to save lives after all. The past version of Lavi would never had been able to work with Rean like this so im glad that she managed to change. Cool usage of the bonds via Sara as well. But its actually fun seeing everyone work together to deal with the true villain despite official orders. Figured Talion was working on something but he sure picked the best moment to strike. While North Ambria would later join the empire at the very least their economy won't be focused on war. Didn't think that Iseria would end up in the guild though. Given that we saw Rose and the members of the new class 7 i wonder will we see an adaptation of the 3rd and 4th games sometime. Overall as a series it didn't improve over the course of the second half it would have been a rare 5 but because it did 6/10 would be the best score for it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2023 1:10 PM

Dec 2018
this is definitely for fans of the games; i don't think anime casuals will understand or appreciate it so the show is kind of niche. still, i thought it was fairly well done, even if the ending felt rushed. we had 11 episodes leading up to the invasion and then it was wrapped up super fast.
Mar 25, 2023 1:55 PM

Feb 2021
Hmm, I wonder whether there will be a season 2 after... Interesting.
Mar 27, 2023 11:35 AM

Aug 2018
Other than the fan service this was a complete waste of time. wtf was even the point of Jayna? I kept expecting her to be revealed as an Anguis or something but she was just there to be evil for no reason and die pointlessly I guess. 
Mar 28, 2023 6:51 AM

Aug 2016
As a massive fan of the Trails series, I can confidently say with my full chest that this is one of the worst animes I have ever seen in my life.
Mar 29, 2023 12:49 PM

Jul 2008
3/10 this anime was all sorts of nonsense. Nonsense is the best word I can use to describe it.
Apr 8, 2023 12:21 AM

Mar 2008
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I feel like Rean was almost PTSD'ed by what he had to do in the Northern War in Cold Steel 3. I definitely was expecting more than just him fighting archaisms, which went rogue.

I won't say it was god awful, as I enjoyed the cameos regardless of how well they were done or short they were. But the anime itself felt very much unfocused on what it wanted to do.
Apr 19, 2023 12:32 PM

Nov 2019
Apparently taking place between Trails of Cold Steel II & III, there doesn't seem to be much point in this Anime's existence.

Even if there was a point, the terrible visual quality (far worse than the games themselves) would've rendered it moot.
Nov 16, 2023 8:14 AM
Aug 2013
yep, this show was not for newcomers. That said even if you are in the know it is still terribly paced with the only thing they try being.... remember these people from the games.

this last episode is supposed to be action-packed and instead was an absolute snoozefest
Dec 11, 2023 3:07 AM
Nov 2016
Wow, 5.6 rating, really ? The Sky fanboys hate for Trails of Cold Steel has no bounds.
We get it, you just wanted another 10 games about Estelle and Joshua and are salty Trails of Cold Steel introduced a new arc, country and characters and to add insult to injury CS made the series more popular/known than ever before.

Jan 23, 8:46 AM

Aug 2011
As a Trails fan this I felt this anime as an OFFENSE.

» Escapism.

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - Northern War Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2023

14 by Volvagia »»
Nov 15, 2023 6:16 PM

Poll: » The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - Northern War Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2023

17 by Volvagia »»
Nov 15, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - Northern War Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2023

25 by Volvagia »»
Nov 15, 2023 9:13 AM

Poll: » The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - Northern War Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2023

19 by Volvagia »»
Nov 6, 2023 8:53 AM

Poll: » The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - Northern War Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2023

35 by Volvagia »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.