Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 5, 2022 10:28 AM

Feb 2022
SimpleSight said:
This episode felt ridiculously messy. This slow burn intro to set up Cid isnt flawed inherently, but the fact its based on a low effort commemorative volume release side story from the web novel with bonus rapey shit is insane. Everything after the ED felt off aswell.

Entire episode is saved by the fact that our lord and saviour Jimina Senen is in the OP.

this is from epilogue in Volume 4 Light Novel

Oct 5, 2022 10:32 AM

Jul 2022
This episode was interesting. Honestly I didnt think that this show would be an isekai show. The introduction made the show seem that it was one of those high school drama anime until the point that truck-kun came in and the MC got ran over. I didn't see that one coming and started laughing so hard. The after credits scene with the MC and friends gathering on the rooftop to do an operation brief, I couldn't help but think of Night Raid in Akame ga Kill. I am glad that the show will have 20 episodes so we might get a decent sized story and plot.
Oct 5, 2022 10:33 AM
Oct 2019
anime_monger said:

yeah finally we can hear his version of moonlight sonata which is the most iconic music from this series
Oct 5, 2022 10:37 AM
Jul 2020
Tokoya said:
Dschlz said:
When does it air on crunchyroll? :)
This won't be on CR, it's a Hidive exclusive

Oh shit, i was so hyped and now i can not watch it๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ˜‚
Oct 5, 2022 10:38 AM
Oct 2020
I love this episode because he didn't just get hit by a truck and reincarnated his character was setup and showed his motivation before he got hit by a truck
Oct 5, 2022 10:39 AM
Dec 2021
where is my big chungus main character. I thought I watch the wrong anime for 20 min straight. Bruhhhhhh.
Oct 5, 2022 10:40 AM

Dec 2021
It was OK, in terms of overall story aspect. but it was really diverse and unique when it came to the isekai side and gore elements. it caught me off guard. lets see if this chunnibyo mc will be more entertaining throughout the whole course of show like he was in episode 1.
Oct 5, 2022 10:42 AM

Dec 2012
Weird place to start at but I'll take it
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Oct 5, 2022 10:44 AM

Sep 2014
I love the sound effects!
Vide cor Meum
Oct 5, 2022 10:49 AM
Jun 2021
As someone who's reading the manga, when I started the first episode I though I was watching the wrong anime but it turns out I was not.
The entire first episode was made only from **5** pages of the manga... but it's BETTER than how the starting was presented in the manga. In the manga it shows what the mc was like before getting isekaied by truck-kun in just 5 pages which kinda bland and the isekai experience started right after that, but the first episode of the anime extended it and made it a lot better.
The way the presented the first episode was really good in my opinion, they made it really interesting, a little unique from the manga. It left a good first impression on me.
I hope they keep up the momentum and this'll turn out really good.

Edit: I just found out that the anime is adapting the light novel, not the manga. so excuse me. I don't know how the light novel started the story, if you've has read the light novel can you tell me if how the story started in the light novel and what is your opinion if you don't mind. Thanks.
YagyaveerOct 5, 2022 10:53 AM
Oct 5, 2022 10:49 AM
Feb 2016
KatsukiKaito said:

Here comes the angry twitter police guy. Bro its just an anime. A work of fiction. Kidnaping and shit like this is used frequently in fictional stories. Stop getting so upset about it.

It's a lazy and cheap plot device that partially sexualizes the girl with few other traits or relevancy given to her and leads into exaggerated one-dimensional cartoon bad guys. The kind of shit that SAO and other similar shows constantly got knocked for, and you're saying it's okay now because............low standards? The fact that this is apparently a comedy series, and yet the first episode presents this look an angsty power fantasy for 12 year olds has me extremely dumbfounded.
Oct 5, 2022 10:52 AM
Jun 2008
I actually really enjoyed it, i was hoping for more of the real world though, he seemed like he could eventually be a bad ass just in the normal earth
Oct 5, 2022 10:52 AM
Feb 2016
EdgyLord666 said:

Don't blame the author for the horniness of the anime, there is no stripping and rape threats in the original source.

Fair enough. But I will blame the adaptation for trying to go that route as a means to glorify the MC. Apparently his getting hit by a truck was played like a joke in the manga, but it's bizarrely serious here.
Oct 5, 2022 10:53 AM

Aug 2019
What the hell, this looks REALLY promising!!

Oct 5, 2022 10:56 AM
Nov 2020
Miraikane said:
SimpleSight said:
This episode felt ridiculously messy. This slow burn intro to set up Cid isnt flawed inherently, but the fact its based on a low effort commemorative volume release side story from the web novel with bonus rapey shit is insane. Everything after the ED felt off aswell.

Entire episode is saved by the fact that our lord and saviour Jimina Senen is in the OP.

this is from epilogue in Volume 4 Light Novel

Can you atleast read chapter 145 from the web novel before typing this lil bro
Oct 5, 2022 10:57 AM

Jul 2021
Holy shit this was so good. But I came here expecting comedy not disturbing imagery wtf

the fight scene was really good. loved how they showed the brutality of kageno's attacks and how nothing was censored.

Nishino isn't normal, she seemed so unfazed after seeing a dude get beaten up so brutally. she must have gone through some serious shit in the past.

the isekai part came out of nowhere. he's in a new world now. what about nishino now?

not like i'm complaining, i'm liking this serious and kind of melancholic atmosphere of the show a lot but i came expecting comedy. are the tags wrong?

5/5 episode though. seems like this could be good.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Oct 5, 2022 11:01 AM

Dec 2019
Here comes another chuunibyuu anime, this ep was an introduction from start to finish so not much to tell about it, and it was cool I like it

"That's why, at this very moment, in the interval of a second,
I wish to cross the world lines and protect your smile.
Then, once again into a time loop devoid of misery,
I will be swallowed as a lonely observer."

Oct 5, 2022 11:05 AM
Feb 2018
Inexplicable said:
SunlitSonata said:
To writers:

If you, for any reason, need to use kidnapping, stripping and rape threats on an otherwise irrelevant female character so male lead Awesome McCool Guy can come in for the save and spout edgy nonsense, shortly before being ISEKAIED into being the leader of a group of super assassins clothed in black. . . .

Don't. Just don't. Please seek help; you clearly didn't get enough attention in highschool.

Awww I'm afraid you're a bit late and the script has already been written.. too bad.

Yeah probably written in 2010-15 I guess, he probably thought he will make the dopiest shit ever, but it's 2022 now and instead it turned out to be shitiest shit ever, werukammu kuringu festo.
Oct 5, 2022 11:11 AM

Dec 2011
I thought i was watching another anime. I remember reading the manga version of it and it didn't have that backstory..
So this is an adaptation from the LN. Anyway really good first episode and I am liking the animation so far...
Oct 5, 2022 11:12 AM
Jun 2007
Honestly, thought it was pretty mediocre, in a "nothing we haven't seen before" way.
Will continue watching this because of the hype and because it's supposed to be a comedy, which I'm assuming will be more evident in the next episode.
Oct 5, 2022 11:12 AM

Dec 2020
And yet another time Truck-kun shows no mercy.
Oct 5, 2022 11:13 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Must be embarrassing at having to point out that someone was calling her the wrong name. The perfect mask to shield her from the effects of that trauma huh. Kagenou sure arrived in the nick of time though. But for a schoolboy though his combat ability is impressive as was the level of bloodthirst that he had in him. At the very least Akane should have had at least two other bodyguards to protect her rather than just one. Too bad that despite his skills he couldn't escape from his date with truck kun. If anything his imagination is pretty broad.

Overall a damm good opening ep that did a great job at introducing the main character and his motivations for wanting to achieve his goals. As Isekai's go that first part was surprisingly well thought out though it was quite dark as well. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on in this new world though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2022 11:15 AM
Apr 2017
TsutanaiFuun said:

not like i'm complaining, i'm liking this serious and kind of melancholic atmosphere of the show a lot but i came expecting comedy. are the tags wrong?

The tags are correct. You are in for a wild ride.
Oct 5, 2022 11:16 AM
Jan 2021
Horrifically cringe
Oct 5, 2022 11:18 AM
Sep 2021
Tbf, seems pretty generic so far. Hopefully it'll get as good as the manga readers say it will.
Oct 5, 2022 11:19 AM
Feb 2018
Meggid0 said:
I liked the first episode, it has some depth
Depth, Ehhhhhhh ? Naniiiiii ?
Oct 5, 2022 11:19 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So we have that very edgy boy that loves attacking people but suffers from a lack of power that ends up being isekaied in a very original way (truck as usual lol) and now he'll gather more power in the isekai world without limits... kinda weird start as I feel it will be kinda ridiculous and edgy but we'll see how it develops... especially that it will have 20 episodes
Oct 5, 2022 11:20 AM

Jul 2021
Splair said:
TsutanaiFuun said:

The tags are correct. You are in for a wild ride.
haha looking forward to it then

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Oct 5, 2022 11:21 AM

Jul 2019
Ok, i uhhhh didnt like this very much, and im unironically surprised so many are enjoying it that much. Its fine to enjoy it, dont get me wrong, but as a manga reader, all i have cared about this was the comedy, because that was honestly golden and extremely good. The drama/lore on the other hand? I honestly couldnt care less, its all so edgy and kinda dumb most of the time, it just didnt work for me when i first read it (it could change tho as i first read this years ago). And when people talk about the series, they always talk about the comedy, so i also thought that most people also didnt care/like the actual lore aspect of the show.
But today, the first episode of the anime airs, and its focused on a prestory apparently adapted from volume 4 of LN, which was mostly 17 minutes of serious (and in my opinion truly edgy) moments. And people seem to be really liking it either way, which again is fine, but it really didnt work for me. It just seemed like all of the other super edgy shows that there are each and every season that most people always call edgy/bad. Still, ill continue to watch it for a bit because next episode should actually have the comedic parts of the original work, and im interested in seeing how they do that.
Oct 5, 2022 11:23 AM

Aug 2013
A great first episode. I've read good things about this from novel readers so I'm looking forward to seeing more of this. I guess we'll have to wait until next week to see what this show is really about.

Oct 5, 2022 11:24 AM

Sep 2020
How did he get magic????

๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š. - ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

Oct 5, 2022 11:25 AM

Dec 2020
They really did me dirty. The beginning and the fight was cool and all but the reincarnation at the end. I'm not complaining, I'm still hyped for the rest.
Oct 5, 2022 11:46 AM

Jan 2014
Seems aight, but why is every single person in his little group a girl lol......look I know waifus sell, but throw in another guy or two, it's just jarring
Oct 5, 2022 11:47 AM

May 2015
Seems ok, but it has Asami Seto in it, so I'll keep watching
Oct 5, 2022 11:50 AM
Dec 2021
It’s seems it’s true They are adapting all the volumes. This episode began on the last volume, and definitely wasn’t expecting to see Noshino(thought it was CID’s sister).

Also this adaptation seems a lot more different from the manga and the LN. I don’t remember a train in the manga or even in the LN. it was just magic and swords but here, there’s car, 1900 carriages, 1900 buildings and 1900 style. The second isekai set in the 1800 to the 1900.

Next episode— I am Atomic!
Oct 5, 2022 11:52 AM

Apr 2022
Is it Batman? ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Nope.It's the Balaclava Berserker!(tm) ๐Ÿ˜ŠโœŠ

Oct 5, 2022 11:55 AM
Oct 2022
The episode was very good
Oct 5, 2022 11:56 AM
Feb 2017
That Moonlight Sonata hits diffrent
Oct 5, 2022 12:10 PM

Jun 2020
Didn't expect it to show so much of Cid's past already. I haven't seen the novel, only the manga, so this ep was mostly new stuff for me nice

DoctorWasabi said:
Seems aight, but why is every single person in his little group a girl lol......look I know waifus sell, but throw in another guy or two, it's just jarring

Now that you mention it the series overall has a ton of female characters everywhere
Oct 5, 2022 12:10 PM
Jun 2020
kuroneko99 said:
I thought the show was a comedy from its title, but it's more violent than I thought. And it turned out a mere cingy isekai story after all.

It actually is very comedic, a lot of the comedy was cut from the beginning because of the way they restructured it.
Oct 5, 2022 12:11 PM

Jun 2020
Fine prologue. Didn't expect the brutal fight was but he's def a chuuni and psycho
Oct 5, 2022 12:17 PM

Jun 2014
I liked the first part, but omg the chunnibyou cringe on the post-credits scene was unbearable.
Oct 5, 2022 12:18 PM
Feb 2013
Great, Im Amazed.... He's to cool to be Second ! ! !
Oct 5, 2022 12:19 PM

Jan 2021
Literally a "Chuunibyou from another world" xd
Oct 5, 2022 12:21 PM
Dec 2019
10/10 so far. I love the fight scenes. No blurred out blood.
Oct 5, 2022 12:31 PM

Jan 2013
SunlitSonata said:
KatsukiKaito said:

Here comes the angry twitter police guy. Bro its just an anime. A work of fiction. Kidnaping and shit like this is used frequently in fictional stories. Stop getting so upset about it.

It's a lazy and cheap plot device that partially sexualizes the girl with few other traits or relevancy given to her and leads into exaggerated one-dimensional cartoon bad guys. The kind of shit that SAO and other similar shows constantly got knocked for, and you're saying it's okay now because............low standards? The fact that this is apparently a comedy series, and yet the first episode presents this look an angsty power fantasy for 12 year olds has me extremely dumbfounded.
Or your take is actually just feminist bullshit, and the same thing can be said about SAO.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 5, 2022 12:32 PM
Feb 2018
Why are you presenting itself poorly, why are you introducing everyone in one go without making much of the progress or better I say without any proper reasons and did a pre character introductory by the end of the episode 1, it's unnecessary and a cheap excuse for character's flashback about what happened in a long run, if it was a flashback leading to a recent event then it's fine or else what's the point of having us see a whole squad right after the mc is Isekai'd, it ruins the first taste, like many other Isekai's have been doing lately, we don't need pre character introductory, seeing them in the op song or ed song is enough for us to know that they will be here in the later time of the show, just do a proper setting for the story, half arse crap won't cut it for most of us folk's, why ? well because our taste buds had been already spoiled by top tier AAA anime's which is capable of making you completely forget about reality, get you glued to the screen, give your emotions a roller coaster ride, get you connected with the characters, leave you depressed for weeks for no reason, so on and so forth.
Oct 5, 2022 12:35 PM
Jul 2022
Finally an Isekai MC thats here to kick gum and chew ass and he's all out of gum lol...the premise of this drew me in and stood out among the many isekai with the typical tropes and lack luster MC's i have watched and that have all come out this season and that's really saying something..im excited to see where this goes and have high hopes that its gonna be an absolute banger
Oct 5, 2022 12:39 PM

Mar 2020
This one is interesting, in that the isekai mechanics seem a bit more well refined and distinct from the usual generic setup of a truck-kun killing. It is perhaps a bit edgy, and Kagenou reminds me of Ayanokouji from COTE, but just a whole lot more interesting in general. The show itself resembles Overlord to some extent as well, with Kagenou having a bunch of subordinates. Not entirely sure how much I'll like this due to the animation being rather sub-par, but I will say that this was one of the best first episodes for a non-sequel series this season so far, alongside Gundam.
Oct 5, 2022 12:44 PM
Feb 2018
LostSpectre said:
SunlitSonata said:

Or your take is actually just feminist bullshit, and the same thing can be said about SAO.

I am with him and together we won't stand for another excuse for a low quality cheap ๐Ÿœ. When you grow older and are not juvenile or teenager anymore, qality matters for 99.99% satisfaction or else you're left out with bad taste in your mouth and some bit of an unsettling vexation.
Pages (15) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is Cid still oblivious ?

meteor4000 - Oct 19

11 by meteor4000 »»
7 hours ago

» About Alexia's rejection scene in episode 5

Jatin587 - Oct 16

31 by Sayan_Pal »»
Oct 17, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

773 by Sayan_Pal »»
Oct 12, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2023

261 by ShadowkillZ »»
Oct 9, 5:27 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2023

124 by ShadowkillZ »»
Oct 9, 3:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.