Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2008 7:10 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kind of boring, I automatically dropped it into an hour of the movie.

Things that I didn't understand:
-Joe Carol's past
-Joe Carol in the ice

Things that I hated:
-The little girl
-The OP

What I found hilarious though was whenever the computer was turned on it made the sound like the Mac makes.
<br>
Nov 1, 2008 4:31 PM

Mar 2008
I found it very interesting and stayed with it. Even though it was in dub form.
(If I remember right, Joe Carol was adopted but her father wanted her to be "uber" at everything creating enormous pressure and all that psychological stuff.)
(And nobody likes Pinnoco. She is in fact, extremely annoying.)
Nov 25, 2010 9:07 AM

Jun 2008
This movie was almost as amazing as the OAV series.

watching, waiting, commiserating
Mar 31, 2011 8:44 AM

Sep 2009
Pinoko = So annoying T_T
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Apr 30, 2012 10:53 AM

Aug 2011
bullterrierlove said:
Kind of boring, I automatically dropped it into an hour of the movie.

-Joe Carol's past
-Joe Carol in the ice

LOL IM SO COOL I DONT FINISH A MOVIE AND I EXPECT TO FULLY UNDERSTAND IT AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF ITS CHARACTERS
Jun 2, 2014 1:27 PM

Mar 2013
The movie was quite fine. The premise was quite original and kinda interesting. The characters where mature and besides the lacking emotions quite realisticly and understandable. They only time the main protagonist got emotion was while speaking about being crual to this patiants and human rights and blabla, so obviously presenting the message of the movie, but over the whole movie and at the start esepcially you think that he doesnt give a damn about this little kid (pinocio or what her name was). "Yeah im 3 days off anywhere around the world letting a 6 year old child alone at home, no kiss no hug, nothing, just bye"... and after he saved her " yeah hi im back, its not like i missed you, just hi, no tears shed, nothing".. like i said, no emotions.

The movie had some akward moments, like when the little child beat up those art collectors.And i personally doesnt like the artstyle, but i can think back to this as an behond avarage movie, and compared to all the shit that comes out recently and came out in the past im happy to see such a well thought through story again.
Aug 23, 2014 7:23 AM

Nov 2011
There better a BD of it as well. Can't wait to watch this along with http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=1520, which are both Dezaki anime.
Nov 27, 2014 1:53 PM

Jul 2008
Movie fits right in with the OVA series, a good watch for Black Jack fans.
Jan 13, 2016 11:37 AM

Aug 2007
King of embarrassing that the discussion thread for this spectacular movie was created by an idiot who didn't even finish the movie.

Either way, this film holds up amazingly well for me. I'll never tire of how gorgeous those Sugino character designs are. I've heard people say the overall theme and message is overly preachy but it's not. And Black Jack is very neutral in general when it comes to politics or ideologies, all he cares about are his patients and respecting the sanctity of life.

May 8, 2016 2:06 AM

Mar 2012
How the hell did a helicopter sneak up on them lol.

It was alright. Not terrible but I wouldn't say it was a good movie either. The beginning was pretty entertaining with all the surgeries but after they discovered the cause of the disease it kinda went downhill. What would she gain by infecting Black Jack with the virus? Why did Black Jack hide the fact that he was infected? Why the hell are you trying to make me feel pity for this psychotic woman? How is it that no one discovered that huge field of flowers until now?

I'm already used to these sort of things from the TV series and that one other movie but dam.

Then there was that lol.
Dec 28, 2016 6:38 PM

Feb 2016
simply great. This movie is very good. 9/10
Dec 5, 2017 3:55 AM

Jan 2015
Avenger-senpai said:
How the hell did a helicopter sneak up on them lol.

It was alright. Not terrible but I wouldn't say it was a good movie either. The beginning was pretty entertaining with all the surgeries but after they discovered the cause of the disease it kinda went downhill. What would she gain by infecting Black Jack with the virus? Why did Black Jack hide the fact that he was infected? Why the hell are you trying to make me feel pity for this psychotic woman? How is it that no one discovered that huge field of flowers until now?

I'm already used to these sort of things from the TV series and that one other movie but dam.

You said everything I wanted to say about this.

It was intense with those freeze frames though...
Aug 11, 2018 5:53 AM

Dec 2015
The case was fine, trying to bring Black Jack to a more modern age (I guess) but too predictable (for a larger audience?). The dramatic direction is always on point though.
A little "yeah" for the fact the movie is more animated than the OAVs.

The (lack of) usage of Pinoko's character seemed to be a bad way to keep her distanced from the film and provide tension relieving moments.
(At a time, I was wondering why the hero was reacting the way he was.)

Enjoyment: 3/5
Score: 6/10

PS français: Bravo à HK Video pour ce qui semble être un film 16/9 comprimé en 4/3. Super surprise après les OAVs 4/3 "écrasées" en 16/9 par TF1Vidéo...

===============================

bullterrierlove said:

-Joe Carol's past
-Joe Carol in the ice

Things that I hated:
-The little girl
-The OP

Carol's past was so simple that they told it almost entirely through the opening pictures (in the way the OAV series does it with Black Jack). But since you "hated the OP"... And in case you wanted some more details, Carol herself narrated it to Black Jack during the movie... But of course it happened probably after you stopped the movie.
Carol in the ice is another simple thing: a visual metaphore. -_-

As for the little girl, she's a stapple of Black Jack. (although her exploitation here was kinda bad).
Rei_IIIAug 11, 2018 5:58 AM
Aug 15, 2019 5:34 PM

Nov 2014
They played the wrong music at the wrong times and why would pinoko just get up and leave with strangers? This could have been great but it was too easy to guess what was going to happen next after Carol first introduced herself. 4/10
Aug 3, 2020 7:20 AM
Jun 2013
honestly loved this movie despite never seeing anything else black jack related. the animation was beautiful although it fell off a little at the end, character animation was smooth and detailed and all of those shots of old computers and surgery were to die for. fantastic backgrounds and direction, interesting characters and the plot was good even if it was predictable. i'm a huge sucker for good 90s animation so this was a treat to watch. the only thing that bugged me was the indoor rain around the 55 minute mark.
JupiterbaeAug 3, 2020 8:33 AM
Sep 16, 2020 6:53 PM
Jul 2018
I guess I am the only one who liked Pinoko's character lol.

I don't know if it was slow but I was very immersed with the whole movie's plot mystery and unfortunately ended up biggest flaw of the movie how the stake is just ressolved very anticlimactically that ends up very theatrically disappointing after it was doing so many things right. But still felt worth watching though anyone who like myself enjoyed the ova.
May 18, 2023 11:03 PM

Mar 2021
The first 15 minutes in, I thought "This movie is so stupid!", but it improved after that. Not to mention, it looked beautiful.

My question: If Joe supposedly didn't know that Endorph A would turn into a virus, why did she put it into the wine under the pretense that she and Black Jack could work together? She may have just been lying, but her death scene indicates maybe she wasn't.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.