Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 22, 2018 5:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah the inevitable match between Ai vs Sora started this episode. While it was kinda obvious that Ai wasn't going to win, she did put up a fight in the match.

Yaichi continues to try and support Ai even though her mom doesn't want her to follow her shogi dreams. I think this might be the most serious episode yet so far especially compared to the first two episodes.
Stark700Jan 22, 2018 8:12 AM
Jan 22, 2018 7:14 AM

Jul 2017
Up to this point, this anime reminds me a lot of the Hikaru no Go feels, just replace Go with Shogi, or even Sangatsu no Lion, though the IQ needed to understand the world of Shogi is really kept to the utmost standards.

Yes, this episode really runs down the serious atmosphere of the typical matches we've come to expect, even from the inevitable match between the disciple Ai and the Snow White master Sora, although their fights are none other than really great to watch and be immersed by the tensity of how she will go far in the Shogi world.

Am glad that now the main cast is together in working out their way up the Shogi ladder.

Really can't help but be impressed that of the 3 starting episodes, this is the best of the crop by far, the presentation worth watching further.
KANLen09Jan 22, 2018 7:29 AM
Jan 22, 2018 7:40 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was pretty damn good, by far the best episode.

I really liked the focus on the shogi matches and the circumstances around it.

The music is really nice, adds to the tension a lot.

What i especially liked was the father stepping up and accepting Yaichi's proposal before the wife could say anything, that was incredibly bold.
Jan 22, 2018 7:40 AM

Apr 2016
This show act serious and shit, but in the end it's just another battle harem in disguise ...

Guess it's time to drop this, before it's too late.
Jan 22, 2018 8:02 AM

Oct 2017
Swagernator said:
This show act serious and shit, but in the end it's just another battle harem in disguise ...

Is it a harem with only 2 people?

Was a great episode. The match was nice. The conditions got worse for her to play shogi.
Jan 22, 2018 8:18 AM

Sep 2016
best battle shounen this season. real shogi anime, that match give so much tension man. dramatic sport moment always give me way more goosebump than dramatic action fight.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 22, 2018 8:19 AM

May 2010
Swagernator said:

only 2 girls like him and you think its a harem LOL

welp, I see our young ryuou is finding em while they're young kek
Jan 22, 2018 8:24 AM

Apr 2016
Rexlaxington said:
TrueUchiha said:

Lets see:

- Hinatsuru, Ai
- Sora, Ginko
- Kiyotaki, Keika
- Yashajin, Ai (not yet in anime, but this is obvious love rival for that other loli)
- Mizukoshi, Mio
- Charlotte d'Izoard

I think this is a big harem.
Jan 22, 2018 8:37 AM

Dec 2010
Good, tension was constant for the whole episode.

5/5
Jan 22, 2018 8:43 AM

Dec 2013
Swagernator said:
Rexlaxington said:
TrueUchiha said:

Lets see:

- Hinatsuru, Ai
- Sora, Ginko
- Kiyotaki, Keika
- Yashajin, Ai (not yet in anime, but this is obvious love rival for that other loli)
- Mizukoshi, Mio
- Charlotte d'Izoard

I think this is a big harem.

I hope you know what Harem means. Out of those you called out most of them don't feel any kind of romantic interest for the prota. Just bcs they are teasing him and having sometimes mini skinship u think thats enough to call it a harem? But nevermind it would be great when u drop this anime. At least I would have to read one raging comment less. Good Idea!

Also very nice episode to see Ginko being badass. I love her expression that literally says "go die".
Jan 22, 2018 8:45 AM

Jan 2018
The moment Ginko checkmate Ai with Ryuuou is really is amazing. Finished Yaichi's disciple with the piece that have same name as his title.

Swagernator said:

Well, everyone have their own taste if you think Harem in anime are unacceptable then I won't stop you. For me though I'm fine either way, maybe it's because I only watch anime for relaxing and Entertaining so I don't take anything in anime too seriously. LOL.
AshenKnightJan 22, 2018 9:02 AM
Jan 22, 2018 8:50 AM

Jun 2015
Got to learn about how rankings work in shogi. The match with Ai vs Sora was very intense. It was obvious she was going to lose, but she did a very good job. She was in tears. I like it when her father defends her, but the mother is a stuck-up idiot. So Yaichi is going to have to marry her if she doesn't get a title. Doesn't sound too bad.
Jan 22, 2018 8:58 AM

Jul 2017
BlackstarFallen said:
So Yaichi is going to have to marry her if she doesn't get a title. Doesn't sound too bad.

But it's actually quite bad in a sense that he has to "marry into" her family, especially in Japan which is a patriarchal country. You can see the family status of her Dad...
Jan 22, 2018 9:16 AM

Dec 2013
Ai is gonna be a title holder for sure, even if I don't really think that's gonna stop them from marrying if she gets older .She is 9 and already a beast in Shogi, lol. I rather prefer Ginko x MC though bcs she's just amazing! Seems like Ginko won't stop improving also after not being able to advance as much as she thought she would against Ai.
Jan 22, 2018 9:26 AM

Jul 2014
This was pretty damn good. The match kept me in tension and I'm glad Ginko won.

#Ginko
Jan 22, 2018 9:40 AM
Dec 2017
Loli comes in like a lion... Actually better than the parody I expected!
Besides, now the couple is officially engaged... Kinda worrying legitimization!
Jan 22, 2018 9:57 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm a good luck charm eh. But Ai's reaction at seeing what was prepared was so cute. But to think that Ai is able to force the manager of the training group to be serious. But Ginko sure put in an unexpected entrance though. Ginko's reaction at seeing Ai's good luck charm that her master gave her though was interesting. The match between Ai and Ginko though was impressive. Though Ai lost looks like even Ginko struggled there. But seeing Ai's determination i can see why Yaichi decided to formally take her as her disciple. Well its nice that the parents allowed Ai to become Yaichi's disciple but the condition if she fails to be a pro though was pretty unexpected. Quite the responsibility that Yaichi agreed to take on though. A great episode though and the last part was so cute.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2018 10:18 AM
Dec 2016
I think it was a good episode. The battle was something. I thought she would straight away lose but she showed she has the talent. I love how her sad face turn bubbly when the marriage proposal came in.

And where is Char? She needs at least 1 min per episode.
Jan 22, 2018 10:35 AM

Sep 2015
The third episode of Ryou's Work is Never Done did a great job at establishing the goals of Ai/Yaichi by putting them in the most intense shogi moments. I have immense respect and connection to the main cast now. I am SO impressed, that I would recommend this anime to everyone. Not only there are cute girls, but also solid character developments that makes Ryou's Work is Never Done a pretty great anime so far.
Jan 22, 2018 10:39 AM

Sep 2013
Shogi is intense, Ginko no mercy on Ai-chan , poor baby :'(
Jan 22, 2018 10:50 AM

Feb 2007
Nice plan, mom, nice plan! :D I swear, if it didn't include the clause with Ai retiring, she'd just intentionally fail to get any titles, just to marry Yaichi. :D
Jan 22, 2018 11:01 AM

Mar 2016
HE GOT A FIANCEE!!!

fuck it, win win situation,

Question for Novel Readers, any real life references in this third episode?
Jan 22, 2018 11:11 AM

Aug 2008
Buuuuuullllshiiiiittt. If Ai becomes a pro and MC marries someone else, mother would smear her own name as someone who tried to force her daughter on someone and got rejected despite running successful inn business. They just had to take it too far. I was hoping to see MC grow as a master, not another pedobait romcom.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 22, 2018 11:21 AM

Dec 2009
Antanaru said:
Buuuuuullllshiiiiittt. If Ai becomes a pro and MC marries someone else, mother would smear her own name as someone who tried to force her daughter on someone and got rejected despite running successful inn business. They just had to take it too far. I was hoping to see MC grow as a master, not another pedobait romcom.

It's not a romcom though, it's fully focused on the Shogi aspect of the series (which is why it has won awards in Japan), it just so happens one of the lead characters is a loli. Just drop it if that upsets you so much.
Jan 22, 2018 11:39 AM
Jul 2017
Sora’s appearance was rather rage inducing considering what was at stake. The characters even lampshaded that there wasnt any reason for her to be there, given her caliber. She’s obviously jealous so she decided to grief a newcomer at the worst possible time. They should change her title from “ice queen” to “baby puncher” for such bad form.

Luckily it all worked out in the end with an extremely awkward marriage clause, but I see Sora remaining the worst girl of the series.
Jan 22, 2018 11:52 AM

May 2015
that flew by so fast
you got a younger fiance what a time to be alive
Jan 22, 2018 11:55 AM

May 2016
Nice closing episode for the first part of this series, but I really like to know what the deal is with Sora. That girl is causing me to think it isn't just jealousy but rather that she has some serious issues.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Jan 22, 2018 12:01 PM

Oct 2011
That ending - wtf...wtf...WTF!???

Jan 22, 2018 12:48 PM

Mar 2013
What is Ginko's fucking problem? She's 9 years old, like... is your pride really hurt that bad because she's got a promising future that you want to do your best to ruin it? What a bitch. And that's without mentioning how unbearably stuck-up Ai's mother is. That woman deserves a proper shoujo slap.
Jan 22, 2018 12:58 PM

Jun 2017
straggy said:
What is Ginko's fucking problem? She's 9 years old, like... is your pride really hurt that bad because she's got a promising future that you want to do your best to ruin it? What a bitch. And that's without mentioning how unbearably stuck-up Ai's mother is. That woman deserves a proper shoujo slap.

Welp you gotta give the mom props for a guaranteed loli waifu and a job if the shogi thing goes south lol.
Jan 22, 2018 1:06 PM

Oct 2014
Ai-san do this, Ai-san do that, wtf is Ai-san doing!? -_-
Not even 3 seconds of full overview of each match. Horrible.
Jan 22, 2018 1:35 PM

Aug 2015
So if she's not a pro by middle school graduation (14-15 years old) then he (21-22 years old) has to marry her. I'm 21, so when I see the comments saying this is a "win-win" for him and I think of having to marry a 14 year old, I simultaneously wanna gouge my eyes out and chop my dick off at the thought of it.
Jan 22, 2018 1:43 PM
Jul 2017
AvidAnimeViewer said:
So if she's not a pro by middle school graduation (14-15 years old) then he (21-22 years old) has to marry her. I'm 21, so when I see the comments saying this is a "win-win" for him and I think of having to marry a 14 year old, I simultaneously wanna gouge my eyes out and chop my dick off at the thought of it.

To be fair she said that he must marry into the family, not marry Ai specifically. He may have to marry a relative instead of jail-waiting.

Also, while breaking verbal agreements are looked down upon, they are not legally binding. :p
Jan 22, 2018 2:20 PM

Feb 2007
Glassgrenado said:
Sora’s appearance was rather rage inducing considering what was at stake. The characters even lampshaded that there wasnt any reason for her to be there, given her caliber. She’s obviously jealous so she decided to grief a newcomer at the worst possible time. They should change her title from “ice queen” to “baby puncher” for such bad form.

Luckily it all worked out in the end with an extremely awkward marriage clause, but I see Sora remaining the worst girl of the series.

As little as I like Ginko, she was probably brought in specifically to better judge Ai's capability, seeing how strong she was. The deal between Yaichi and Ai's parents wasn't something the shogi association necessarily knew or cared about. On the other hand, it was likely of great interest to them to see how Ai would do against Ginko or how she would play under such pressure. As Yaichi explained last episode, she would not have been expected to win all matches, or even any of them, to be able to join, just show her actual skills - and in this case, the best possible opponent was necessary to truly see how far she could go. Their personal grudges certainly made it an even more intense game, though, and not necessarily in a good way, but no one would have expected Ginko to go easy on Ai, nor should she have done so. Pride aside, it would also not have properly reflected Ai's skill otherwise.

I do agree on the worst girl bit, though.
Jan 22, 2018 2:26 PM

Dec 2009
By far my favorite episode so far. Loved how they represented how intense Shogi matches can be with hyperventilation from stress and how having a short amount of time to make your move can lead to mistakes. Ai Vs. Sora was a great match filled with a lot of emotions (loved Sora's enraged reaction afterwards).
Jan 22, 2018 2:29 PM

Sep 2016
Don't bother with him, he thinks every anime have harems in disguise. His MO
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Jan 22, 2018 2:42 PM

Jan 2011
It was a quite nice show till the part with the disgusting mother with the shitty ideas made her "offer". Worse episode... will give an extra episode before dropping...
Jan 22, 2018 3:07 PM
Sep 2010
Ciel-Lizzy said:
To be honest, i was thinking how boring this anime is to me because i don't understand shogi. But then I saw Sora. Sora vs. Ai. ¿Can someone explain me why? Sora is way better than Ai, by all I know. ¿Wasn't that a bit unfair? I know Ai wants to be professional in the future so this is experience and the match wasn't that easy to Sora, apparently. But, come on.
Well, at least there's a possibility that they're going to get married.

It's fair. Sora gave a Rook and a Lance handicap in the match in consideration of the difference of their levels.
Jan 22, 2018 3:07 PM
Sep 2010
Ciel-Lizzy said:
To be honest, i was thinking how boring this anime is to me because i don't understand shogi. But then I saw Sora. Sora vs. Ai. ¿Can someone explain me why? Sora is way better than Ai, by all I know. ¿Wasn't that a bit unfair? I know Ai wants to be professional in the future so this is experience and the match wasn't that easy to Sora, apparently. But, come on.
Well, at least there's a possibility that they're going to get married.

It's fair. Sora gave a Rook and a Lance handicap in the match in consideration of the difference of their levels.
Jan 22, 2018 3:27 PM

May 2012
Mother made me reconsider watching this.
Survived the naked loli part. Survived the loli king part. But now the fiancee crap?
I thought she put up a hard front to test her determination but in the end it's just another harem in the making.

Text me when she wins a title.
beep
Jan 22, 2018 4:19 PM

Nov 2010
I was quite wary of this show because of the hardcore lolicon undertones, but this episode twisted the whole thing into something more realistic and believable by making into about a marriage deal that allows one side to do what they want for the moment and still allows the other side to reap (what they consider to) the rewards if the whole thing fails.

People might still think it is weird and problematic, but both parties on all levels see their opportunity in this deal which makes it quite the fair thing, even with problematic content like planned marriage of a grade schooler.

I got conviced to keep watching after this episode made this kind of grounded deal over all the jail bait before.
Jan 22, 2018 4:20 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Great episode, had a lot of great tension. The matches were really good too. I think this show does a really nice job of showing the fun and challenge of Shogi.

I'm glad she didn't beat Sora. That would've made her a boring character.

So he gets her as a disciple, but if he fails he has to marry her? I'm failing to see a downside here. I mean, she's basically going to grow up to be her mother, who is in fact, hot as hell.

Can't wait to see where this goes.

PS Ai's mom is ridiculously fine. Dear lord.
Jan 22, 2018 5:00 PM

Jan 2008
This episode would have been pretty great if I could overlook the loli aspects. Sadly, I can't since it's already heavily ingrained into my mind for this show.

I do appreciate that they didn't just make her win all 3 though, just because she's the main character. Gives her room to grow, not that we'll likely ever get to see her fully.
Jan 22, 2018 5:11 PM

May 2015
Holy damn, didn't see an intense episode incoming. This one surely was intense as hell.

Best episode so far.

Jan 22, 2018 5:37 PM
EDM ❤

May 2012
Good episode but as soon as i see something like in Chihayafuru that the Queen randomly loses i'll drop the anime.
Jan 22, 2018 6:05 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
still waiting for this anime to lewd the lolis
Jan 22, 2018 6:05 PM
Feb 2013
The music is really intense during the Ginko match, it's seem this girl don't know how to holding back at all. LOL.

There are some thing bothering me though, in Ai's second match when she dropped Gold on her opponent's King head how did that check mate, Ai only have two Silvers on her hand. King can just ake Ai's Gold and then escape in his next move. I'm still newbie to Shogi can someone tell me how to checkmate that king?

Jan 22, 2018 6:22 PM

Nov 2017
Damn,this is getting good,and it's starting to make me interested in learning how to play Shogi.
Loved Ai's reaction when she found what was left as her good luck charm.
So far,interesting,cute,funny,and well worth watching.
Jan 22, 2018 6:27 PM

Mar 2008
10000/10 YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Jan 22, 2018 6:31 PM

Jan 2017
Marrying into Hinatsuru family eh? Not a bad deal for me. I mean, the loli and the mother is cute so why not? XD
reicchi-senseiJan 22, 2018 6:35 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2018

113 by AnimeXlover78 »»
Oct 14, 3:30 AM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2018

105 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 20, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2018

63 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 13, 7:28 AM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2018

88 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 9, 1:38 AM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2018

59 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 1, 5:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.