Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 11, 2016 11:07 PM

Feb 2016
The amount of people who are not giving this anime a chance because it looks like a typical magical girl anime is insane.
Why is this so underrated though.
It is cause of the picture that looks too similar to other magical girl shows?
The summary is not that interesting?
Fair enough only 1 episode has been aired so far but i still agree this is one of the better fall animes for me even top 3 fall animes.
I really hope this gets a bit more recognized.
I hope the animation does not drop otherwise that would be a bit disappointing however i have high hopes for this show, lets hope it gets even better from here.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 11, 2016 11:51 PM

Jun 2015
it's really goooood!
Oct 12, 2016 6:28 AM

Nov 2013
i cant say its underrated coz the show is only on episode 1, it has the possibility to become a completely mediocre anime if done wrong due to its magical girl setting.

But one thing for sure, this show is definitely underwatched, ranking of 21 among other anime aired this season. This is a very interesting first episode, it deserve to be known to a larger audience. On top of that it seems like one of those rare family friendly anime among the other anime that may contain several embarrassing stuff that should not be exposed to normal human being.
Oct 12, 2016 7:29 AM

Sep 2014
This one and Girlish Number are both pretty underrated.

It's understandable though, these are original anime from not popular studios. They are unlikely to be spotted in the early season. But give it some times, if they do well, they will eventually receive their deserving scores.

Also, Flip Flappers ED is best ED of 2016.
Oct 12, 2016 11:24 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
No, that title goes to Shakunetsu no Takkyuu and that one is underwatched as well.

But this show here is definitely special.
Oct 12, 2016 1:04 PM

Jan 2015
I have listened to the OP so many times. My personal season favorite, but I just now discovered that I haven't added it to my PTW. :D
Oct 12, 2016 3:00 PM

Mar 2016
Does anyone really expect anime fans to have taste or the intelligence to try something new? Either the public consensus shifts, or it doesn't, I guess that depends on how the word is spread.
Oct 12, 2016 3:03 PM
Aug 2015
In my opinion it's between Endride and Divine Gate.
Oct 12, 2016 3:04 PM

Jul 2016
Loved the first episode. I have big expectations for this anime :D
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Oct 16, 2016 5:19 AM

May 2009
RipperIsHere said:
In my opinion it's between Endride and Divine Gate.

I give you 2/10 for this bait.
Oct 16, 2016 10:08 AM

May 2012
Only watched 1st episode so far

I say that Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku and Lostorage Incited WIXOSS are way better than this and both have lower score. So, it is not underrated in my opinion

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku is the most underrated in this season
Oct 16, 2016 10:27 AM

Jul 2015
Why does love confusing underrated with overlooked?
Oct 16, 2016 10:28 AM

Sep 2009
What, you're deciding without a vote? Where has our democracy gone?
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 16, 2016 4:43 PM

Jan 2010
it's too soon to tell (╯≧ロ≦) ╯
but so far this show is one of those gems that you can replay the episodes
without getting tired of watching it~ the animation is so fluid and the colors are so mesmerizing.
Oct 16, 2016 4:50 PM

Aug 2013
I've just gone ahead and given it a preliminary 10. Whatever score I end up giving it, my measly vote will help draw the score up and hopefully some more people will notice it.
Oct 16, 2016 5:02 PM

Jan 2009
I think it's too early to call it underrated, but yeah, it's my favorite of the season so far.
Oct 16, 2016 7:22 PM

Jun 2016
Taking into account the difference between what a given score means from me and from the average MAL user, and the potential I see in this series based on not just the surface presentation, but the numerous details and what they likely mean for the series, yeah, I'd consider 7.5-ish underrated.

Perhaps underwatched as well, though it looks to be gaining some popularity.
Oct 25, 2016 5:56 PM
Aug 2013
From what I've seen, this show is pretty popular, certainly not underrated. Now with 3 episodes out though, I don't know much else going for this show other than it's pretty. Coconut's not too bad but Papika's pretty annoying. I'd like to see more of the other characters though, like Coconut's blonde friend, she seems like she might be alright.
Oct 27, 2016 12:01 PM
Jul 2016
I honestly think this show was just good. Nothing else.
Oct 27, 2016 2:04 PM

Feb 2008
Tbh it didn't look like a magical girl show to me at all. I expected something like Alice in Wonderland, and kind of got something similar, except with girls going Hokuto no Pretty Pure Z.

Hrybami said:

Girlish Number is probably because of lagging simulcast, so your average viewer either needs to watch when it's out in Japanese or never. Kind of Regalia that had a production break and reset, so now barely anyone is keeping up MAL (though Regalia looks kinda bad)

And yeah, Flip Flap best ED.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 29, 2016 4:04 AM
Feb 2009
Hrybami said:

It's understandable though, these are original anime from not popular studios. They are unlikely to be spotted in the early season. But give it some times, if they do well, they will eventually receive their deserving scores.

sure, not from 3 biggest studios but from not popular studios???
And most people don't care about the studio. I mostly learn about the studio when someone makes some stupid comment on the forums about why an anime rules/sucks because of the studio.
If you want to know why it's not watched then read the MAL description. Can they make it sound more like a boring magical girl anime.
But it's goofy and fun. I like the slight lesbian undertone, title is funny too. Convert those girls young :D
Nov 1, 2016 7:11 PM
Jan 2016
Yourlolm said:
The amount of people who are not giving this anime a chance because it looks like a typical magical girl anime is insane.
Why is this so underrated though.
It is cause of the picture that looks too similar to other magical girl shows?
The summary is not that interesting?
Fair enough only 1 episode has been aired so far but i still agree this is one of the better fall animes for me even top 3 fall animes.
I really hope this gets a bit more recognized.
I hope the animation does not drop otherwise that would be a bit disappointing however i have high hopes for this show, lets hope it gets even better from here.
I completely agree it seems to be a major sleeper hit it is very reminiscent of flcl and kill la kill with its vivrant fast paced story telling that is extremely serialized.
Nov 2, 2016 10:17 PM

Oct 2008
Hrybami said:

No, Dreamcatcher by nano is the best ED of 2016 of the show Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku.

Nov 3, 2016 9:10 PM
Custom Title

Jul 2009
Giving this one a chance. Gonna watch it later.
Nov 3, 2016 9:17 PM

Jan 2014
Laraid said:

Definitely dude. I was skeptical at first when I saw the summary and cover image, but it's so freaking good. You won't regret it
Nov 3, 2016 10:01 PM

Nov 2015
This anime looks amazing! I'm not so sure that it is underrated though. I'm definitely watching it when I get the chance!
people die when they are killed
Nov 5, 2016 11:13 AM

Nov 2009
Well, it looks like my favorite show of the season.

Psykofreac said:
From what I've seen, this show is pretty popular, certainly not underrated. Now with 3 episodes out though, I don't know much else going for this show other than it's pretty.

Basically, pacing. This anime is actually dynamic, something anime adapted from drawn-out media like LN and manga have trouble with.
The balance of power seems to shift every episode - most things that happened in these 5 episodes would have been put into dramatic ending of an ordinary anime.
Every episode seems to have its own theme, kind of like Excel Saga, so you never get boren with their adventures.
It's also pretty funny, in a cartoonish way.
Nov 13, 2016 1:13 PM
Custom Title

Jul 2009
DoctorWasabi said:
Laraid said:

Definitely dude. I was skeptical at first when I saw the summary and cover image, but it's so freaking good. You won't regret it

Well... Watched till ep 4. The series looks very nice. However I found it rather boring. Also, I hate Papika with all my heart.
Nov 21, 2016 1:30 PM

Mar 2014
still heavily underrated
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Nov 21, 2016 2:24 PM

Oct 2015
Yep, it's way more interesting than anything else released this season, or even the entire year, but people won't watch it because "hurr durr muh moeshit"
Nov 21, 2016 2:33 PM

Jun 2014
Is this a magical girl anime?

From this season alone I have Izetta, Magical Girl Raising Project, Matoi Sacred Slayer on my watch schedule. I have Mahou no Stella to catch up to :)
All credit goes to Sacred.
Nov 22, 2016 10:13 PM

Aug 2013
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Is this a magical girl anime?

From this season alone I have Izetta, Magical Girl Raising Project, Matoi Sacred Slayer on my watch schedule. I have Mahou no Stella to catch up to :)

Sort of? Sometimes? Not really though? This show is a lot of things. You should watch it.
Nov 22, 2016 10:15 PM

Jul 2010
Hrybami said:

I agree on everything, also it's really nice to see an anime with both great OP&ED which are my favorites overall from this season.
Nov 23, 2016 11:46 PM

Aug 2009
Lobinde said:
Yep, it's way more interesting than anything else released this season, or even the entire year, but people won't watch it because "hurr durr muh moeshit"

Agreed. Anything I say is going to be an understatement, but this anime is warm and amazing. And it's original. There were discussions years ago about the future of anime and if more studios can pull off original anime consistently. I hope that is where anime is going, incorporating a larger percentage of original material every season. Don't judge a book by its cover, or anime page picture. I'm still amazed that the rating is not higher 6 or 7 episodes in. Don't miss this opportunity to watch something awesome.

Nov 25, 2016 8:01 AM

Jul 2015
Everyone is praising Yuri on ice while Flip flappers is here and it depresses me.

It's like people are amazed by the same thing over and over while ignoring the new cool "inovative" shiny things.
Nov 25, 2016 3:01 PM
Jul 2012
Flip Flappers most underrated with such high scores???
Bro do you even Wixoss or Vivid Strike?
Nov 26, 2016 1:21 AM

Apr 2015
Windman said:

Well, it was around 7.4 at the start of the season, which is when this thread started, so...
Nov 26, 2016 3:29 AM
Jul 2012
Lanz said:
Windman said:

Well, it was around 7.4 at the start of the season, which is when this thread started, so...

Still 7.4 is too high, look at those with ~6 scores...
Nov 26, 2016 1:30 PM

Mar 2009
Grani-smith said:
Everyone is praising Yuri on ice while Flip flappers is here and it depresses me.

It's like people are amazed by the same thing over and over while ignoring the new cool "inovative" shiny things.

Well, I don't know if I'd say Yuri on Ice is the same thing over and over, but I do agree that Flip Flappers is better.
Nov 28, 2016 1:16 PM

Nov 2008
I'd like Flip Flappers SO much better if it wasn't about forcing a teenager to recognize and accept her sexuality. >_>

But they just HAD to make it about that, didn't they.......

IMHO the show's brilliant writing and visuals would be better spent on a more tasteful theme. Yuri ain't my thing, bruhs. And lesbian sex jokes between two fourteen-year-old girls who look and act like younger children REALLY is not my thing......
ChiibiNov 28, 2016 1:24 PM

Nov 28, 2016 1:23 PM
Jul 2018
As far as I can get Girlish Number and Flip Flappers are there for me honestly. Those are the ones that I'm close of catching up or caught up to.

Chiibi said:
I'd like Flip Flappers SO much better if it wasn't about forcing a teenager to recognize and accept her sexuality. >_>

IMHO the show's brilliant writing and visuals would be better spent on a more tasteful theme. Yuri ain't my thing, bruhs.

I honestly don't think going on an exploring about a person sexuality would be a bad thing as far as I am concerned (I've only seen 4 episodes but yet again I personally think its well executed at most)

But I guess that's just how people would see it through so, thoughts are thoughts.
Nov 28, 2016 1:24 PM

Jul 2009
Girlish Number and Flip-Flappers aren't only underrated, they're better than anything last season
Nov 28, 2016 1:29 PM

Nov 2008
SymphoniacTippy said:
As far as I can get Girlish Number and Flip Flappers are there for me honestly. Those are the ones that I'm close of catching up or caught up to.

Chiibi said:

IMHO the show's brilliant writing and visuals would be better spent on a more tasteful theme. Yuri ain't my thing, bruhs.

I honestly don't think going on an exploring about a person sexuality would be a bad thing as far as I am concerned (I've only seen 4 episodes but yet again I personally think its well executed at most)

The girls' ages and the art style make it feel squicky.

I'd prefer if the theme was more about finding family/ friendship discovering who you are/ learning to love yourself; something like that would be nicer.

Give it time.....episode 07 is when it gets uncomfortable....

Nov 28, 2016 1:32 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
SymphoniacTippy said:

I'd prefer if the theme was more about finding family/ friendship discovering who you are/ learning to love yourself; something like that would be nicer.

I actually got spoiled on Episode 7 with the screenshot fest that I got... maybe I'm not TOO bugged when it comes to screenshots.

But will do of course.

But I do get where you're coming from, with the show's premise and idea it seems more fitting in a way.
Nov 28, 2016 4:58 PM
Apr 2015
The show also has the disadvantage that it involves a fair amount of references, and if you aren't familiar with much art history, some bits of it are doubtless completely mystifying. And a lot of that stuff is most prevalent in the first episodes, since it just dives right in.

Chiibi said:

IMHO the show's brilliant writing and visuals would be better spent on a more tasteful theme. Yuri ain't my thing, bruhs. And lesbian sex jokes between two fourteen-year-old girls who look and act like younger children REALLY is not my thing......
Did someone hack your account? This sentiment is pretty well at odds with your signature.

Chiibi said:

The age is pretty much the normal age for discovering your sexuality. I really don't think that's what episode 7 is about though, or what the show in general is about despite people's tendency to reference those themes when giving ironically bad explanations of the meaning. Episode 7 in particular is about the characters' relationship and is largely not related to sexuality at all, I'd say only three of Papika's forms are in a romance context, of which two are male.
Nov 28, 2016 6:32 PM

Nov 2008
Cruxador said:
Did someone hack your account? This sentiment is pretty well at odds with your signature.

Lol Karin and Kazune never have sex in their manga. Kazune was drawn with his shirt off just for fanservice...as the series Kamichama Karin is marketed to young girls, not lolicon pervs like this show probably is. Also, I like boyxgirl better than girlxgirl, on average.

Episode 7 in particular is about the characters' relationship and is largely not related to sexuality at all, I'd say only three of Papika's forms are in a romance context, of which two are male.

I guess you missed the nail clippers joke. So did I....until I researched what it meant and now I am grossed out and don't want to think about it ever.
ChiibiNov 28, 2016 6:40 PM

Nov 28, 2016 7:39 PM
Apr 2015
Chiibi said:
Cruxador said:

Lol Karin and Kazune never have sex in their manga. Kazune was drawn with his shirt off just for fanservice...as the series Kamichama Karin is marketed to young girls, not lolicon pervs like this show probably is. Also, I like boyxgirl better than girlxgirl, on average.
You're avowing love (presumably romantic love, therefore sexuality) of children, while saying that sexuality in tweens (the age where sexuality normally begins) isn't okay. I mean, if you have homophobia issues that limit your enjoyment of the media, that's your own business as long as you're not hurting anyone, but it's pretty hypocritical to call them out on the grounds of youth, considering.

Episode 7 in particular is about the characters' relationship and is largely not related to sexuality at all, I'd say only three of Papika's forms are in a romance context, of which two are male.

I guess you missed the nail clippers joke. So did I....until I researched what it meant and now I am grossed out and don't want to think about it ever.
Seriously? You were fine with episode 5, but a pair of nail clippers did it for you?
Nov 28, 2016 8:26 PM

Nov 2008
Cruxador said:
You're avowing love (presumably romantic love, therefore sexuality) of children, while saying that sexuality in tweens (the age where sexuality normally begins) isn't okay.

Children? Karin and Kazune are older than they look. Koge-Donbo draws most of her characters this way.
I didn't say it "isn't okay". I said I "wasn't fond of this theme for Flip Flappers". Something being okay or not okay....a person liking it or disliking is irrelevant, you know?

I don't think it fits. Every series is different.

No, romance isn't the same thing as sex. People love saying that to cheapen the idea of romance.

I mean, if you have homophobia issues that limit your enjoyment of the media

Ergh. Not liking ficticious yuri or yaoi=/=homophobia. Seriously, people who love these genres need to stop with this mindset. Yuri and yaoi in fact fetishize homosexual relationships so much that real homosexual people find them offensive. I've seen a lot of complaints about this, in fact.

I prefer het ships in media because I can relate better to them, is all. There's also a much bigger variety to choose from.

Seriously? You were fine with episode 5, but a pair of nail clippers did it for you?

Did you not get what it means? It was a sexual intercourse joke about lesbians. Like "Clip your nails so you don't hurt me when you touch me down there".

Episode 05 didn't have any sexual intercourse jokes....at least not ones that I recognized and if it did, I'd rather stay ignorant of them. Hugs and dry kissing between minors is fine.
Sex is not.
Thus:
I do not want to think about Papika and Cocona having sex.
And the show was like "WELL, LOL, HERE'S THAT IMAGE FOR YOUR HEAD."
ChiibiNov 28, 2016 8:45 PM

Nov 29, 2016 12:05 AM
Apr 2015
Chiibi said:
Cruxador said:
You're avowing love (presumably romantic love, therefore sexuality) of children, while saying that sexuality in tweens (the age where sexuality normally begins) isn't okay.

Children? Karin and Kazune are older than they look. Koge-Donbo draws most of her characters this way.
Yeah but you also called out art style on this series so.

No, romance isn't the same thing as sex. People love saying that to cheapen the idea of romance.
Sex is a part of romance, and "sexuality" in the straight/gay sense includes romance.

Yuri and yaoi in fact fetishize homosexual relationships so much that real homosexual people find them offensive.
Well, yeah. I think Flip Flappers does a way better job though, and takes the piss out of a lot of the kind of thing you're talking about in Episode 5.

Did you not get what it means? It was a sexual intercourse joke about lesbians. Like "Clip your nails so you don't hurt me when you touch me down there".
Well, yeah. Although fingering isn't exactly sex, and it's neither exclusive to lesbians nor something that necessarily takes two people. They're teenagers, it's safe to assume that there's fingers going in there one way or another regardless of anything else, just like pretty much every teenager.

Episode 05 didn't have any sexual intercourse jokes....at least not ones that I recognized and if it did, I'd rather stay ignorant of them. Hugs and dry kissing between minors is fine.
Sex is not.

I do not want to think about Papika and Cocona having sex.
And the show was like "WELL, LOL, HERE'S THAT IMAGE FOR YOUR HEAD."
Well, if you saw a nail clipper and decided to visualize lesbian sex, that's on you. Seeing "they could potentially cut their figernails... and that could lead to fingers in bodily orifices which is sex!" is way more of a stretch than getting something similar than sucking fingers, which is literally a finger in a bodily orifice anyway. You've picked a real weird place to draw a line in the sand, anyway.
Nov 29, 2016 9:53 AM

Nov 2008
Cruxador said:
Yeah but you also called out art style on this series so.

Because it doesn't fit the theme, imho. If you disagree, whatever.

Sex is a part of romance

Not always.

They're teenagers, it's safe to assume that there's fingers going in there one way or another regardless of anything else, just like pretty much every teenager.

o____O What? Not all teenagers finger themselves, you sicko. I sure as hell didn't because it's disgusting and I can't picture either one of those girls doing this.

Well, if you saw a nail clipper and decided to visualize lesbian sex, that's on you. Seeing "they could potentially cut their figernails... and that could lead to fingers in bodily orifices which is sex!" is way more of a stretch than getting something similar than sucking fingers, which is literally a finger in a bodily orifice anyway. You've picked a real weird place to draw a line in the sand, anyway.

I didn't even know what it meant at first. It was a blog that pointed it out. And it was entirely intentional, not a "stretch" of any sort.

Explain to me why else nail clippers would be there, then?
ChiibiNov 29, 2016 9:58 AM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2016

213 by Puncheon »»
Sep 11, 2:44 AM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2016

190 by DELLspencer »»
Jul 14, 11:01 AM

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

3 by Bastodon »»
May 21, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

142 by Touka »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.