Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 22, 2015 10:41 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that got unexpectingly...violent imo.

We get some military themes in this episode and less more so about operations. However, I find find this episode a bit interesting with the swift of the environment. As a medical expert, I think Hazama would have to adapt with any environment including dealing with war.

Always fun to bring a camera when bullets are flying across your ear huh??

Reality of war is tough imo.
Oct 22, 2015 4:54 PM
Aug 2012
Don't want to jump the guns as I've only seen raw so don't know whats really going on but hell, if Yabu-san sent him to war zone for his personal motives then shame on him. Wasn't he yapping about not taking away a young mans future and now he has sent him to Vietnam to get killed?
Oct 23, 2015 10:45 PM

Apr 2015
Damn this keeps getting better and better! Loved the change of setting this time as well
Oct 23, 2015 11:22 PM
Jul 2018
This series is getting better and better.

Hazama is saving a life in the middle of the battlefield.
Oct 23, 2015 11:36 PM

Jul 2012
Karshi said:
Don't want to jump the guns as I've only seen raw so don't know whats really going on but hell, if Yabu-san sent him to war zone for his personal motives then shame on him. Wasn't he yapping about not taking away a young mans future and now he has sent him to Vietnam to get killed?

He wasn't the one who sent Hazama, Hazama went on his own after he saw that there had been fights where Yabu-san went out of worry.

So that white-haired guy is going to appear next episode? I want to see what happens.
Oct 23, 2015 11:47 PM

Jun 2014
Wow, operating in the middle of the battlefield? Respect. Judging from the preview, it looks like Hazama and co. are gonna have it rough as prisoners, and a new character will show up. This series continues to get more and more interesting.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Oct 23, 2015 11:59 PM

Jun 2014
You'd think after experiencing the (literal) scars of war at such an early age Hazama would have lost his bright-eyedness by now, going to operate on a stranger in open firing range is way too generous. He is already quite cynical as can be seen by how he is already charging outrageous operation fees, yet he still cares this much for a single life?

I'm betting one of Hazama's comrades (likely Bob) will get killed in prison due to Kiriko's

This arc looks fairly promising.
Oct 24, 2015 12:29 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
That was pretty awesome
Oct 24, 2015 1:11 AM

Jun 2015
YBJ has some scary-looking fish .

Oct 24, 2015 1:42 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hazama experiencing war first hand was interesting, this is probably where he's going to solidify his resolution for saving people, no matter what. I think what Bob said is really reflective of some Americans back then (and even now with other countries), thinking that the Vietnamese people can't save themselves so they need America's help.

Anyways, it's really amazing how Hazama's will to save lives is so strong that he would operate in the middle of the battlefield, and how concentrated he was while operating. Too bad they all got caught though.
Oct 24, 2015 2:02 AM
Aug 2012
Karshi said:

I did jump the guns. Fortunately Yabu-san didn't turned out to be the jerk, but holy shit Hazama what the hell are you doing chasing that man across the globe? What are you Naruto? Yabu made his decision to serve in Vietnam war, he's got 20+ yrs of actual life experience over you boy, let him be please. I can not believe what a naive little sweetie pie Hazama is turning out to be. How does he think Yabu-san would feel knowing he's suffered imprisonment and torture for him? Baka!

PS 1. Did anyone else laughed when the American soldier started speaking perfect Japanese after his fancy English?

PS 2: From preview the new characters head is awfully big, like disproportionately so lol

Jerkhov said:
He is already quite cynical as can be seen by how he is already charging outrageous operation fees, yet he still cares this much for a single life? .

Hazama's decision making skills aren't the best frankly. But here tho, it seemed like he decided to operate partially out of panic/adrenaline rush (certainly not naivety alone), but once the decision is made the guy has the balls to stick with it like none other and doing what he does best (aka illegal surgery lol) calmed him down completely.
KarshiOct 24, 2015 2:41 AM
Oct 24, 2015 3:12 AM

Feb 2015
Stark700 said:

Reality of war is tough imo.

HE IS FREAKING INSANE!!!.
Oct 24, 2015 3:45 AM

Feb 2015

Intense episode. Damn, Hazama operating in the middle of a battlefield and not giving a shit about the war going on around him.
Must be hard for a doctor to accept the reality that he can't save everyone. He's still gonna try though.

Too bad he got captured. He's probably going to be forced to save someone again.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2015 4:50 AM

Mar 2015
And then Steve painfully die from severe septicemia all thanks to Hazama.

Oct 24, 2015 5:29 AM

Apr 2011
Hazama was on some matrix god shit dodging those bullets.
Oct 24, 2015 5:36 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Gotta give this episode props for at least accurately showcasing just how stupid the Vietnam War was

Anyway, shit got real on multiple occasions here and I really hope that Yabu is okay....Seeing Hazama and co get captured has me concerned also because anything can happen at this pont and I'm scared for the other people's lives
Oct 24, 2015 6:48 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Hazama's always doing surgeries because someone threatens him to do so, but in this case it's a little different. In the middle of the battlefield this time O.O

4/5
GoldenDevilGamerOct 24, 2015 4:02 PM
Oct 24, 2015 9:49 AM

Jun 2013
damn this just got brutal doing a surgery in the middle of a battlefield epic dude
Oct 24, 2015 10:53 AM

Aug 2014
This is getting even more incredible! ^.^
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Oct 24, 2015 11:21 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was awesome. I liked the depiction of the vietnam war and the characters involved in this episode.
Oct 24, 2015 1:08 PM

Sep 2014
Previews for next episode showed him shirtless, can't wait to see everyone complain about that again.
Oct 24, 2015 2:24 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
YaoiWarrior said:
Previews for next episode showed him shirtless, can't wait to see everyone complain about that again.

I went ahead and read the next three chapters after this, and yeah, I won't be surprised if there will be some serious complaints about manservice, lol. If they adapt it exactly the same, that is. Which they haven't, btw. They've either changed things (I guess to speed the episodes up) they've added things (like adding Maiko into last episode, probably to show the fish and pig leg), or they've also taken out scenes (again, to speed it up). I think the changes are fitting though.
Oct 24, 2015 3:28 PM

Apr 2011
Was it just me or the animation quality went down in this episode? Idk, I noticed a lot of "quality" frames.

However, the episode was good. It feels like the story is starting now, I'm very excited for the next episodes. The ending was very intense, definitely the best part of the episode. Obviously operating on a guy in that situation is insane/impossible but oh well, nothing new for Black Jack fans I guess.

We finally got to see some blood, and on Kuroo's hands, that was cool. But still not nearly as violent as it seems to be in the manga (I have the raws here, but I can't read japanese), I'd be lying if I said that the censorship isn't bothering me.

I was excited to see the torture scenes that are supposed to be in the next episode, but since the anime has been so censored I'm not sure if we'll get to see them. ):

I'm also excited to see Kiriko, apparently he's gonna show up soon! But I'm also a bit scared because he doesn't look like himself at all.
Oct 24, 2015 4:32 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
raifuresu said:

We finally got to see some blood, and on Kuroo's hands, that was cool. But still not nearly as violent as it seems to be in the manga (I have the raws here, but I can't read japanese), I'd be lying if I said that the censorship isn't bothering me.

I was excited to see the torture scenes that are supposed to be in the next episode, but since the anime has been so censored I'm not sure if we'll get to see them. ):

I'm also excited to see Kiriko, apparently he's gonna show up soon! But I'm also a bit scared because he doesn't look like himself at all.

Yeah I think it's more interesting and intense to read the manga which is uncensored, they are probably going to tone some stuff down, taking away part of the fear of war (chapter 11). But I think the anime is still doing a great job with the minor changes, after all it's what made me go look for and read the Chinese scans. The main problems and issues Hazama experiences is still there, which is the main focus of the story.
Oct 24, 2015 4:47 PM

Apr 2011
tingy said:

Yeah I think it's more interesting and intense to read the manga which is uncensored, they are probably going to tone some stuff down, taking away part of the fear of war (chapter 11). But I think the anime is still doing a great job with the minor changes, after all it's what made me go look for and read the Chinese scans. The main problems and issues Hazama experiences is still there, which is the main focus of the story.

Yes, I agree. But if you compare both anime and manga even Kuroo's expressions seem much more intense in the manga, the fact that they didn't get to adapt it so well is kind of sad, even if his issues are still there everything seems to have less feeling in it.

Like,

But I'm still enjoying the anime and I hope to continue enjoying it until the end. I'd love to read the manga if I could tho.
Oct 24, 2015 4:57 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
At the beginning, when he was talking to the photograph the music was kinda killed the mood for me. Being louder than them talking.
Oct 24, 2015 5:27 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
raifuresu said:
Yes, I agree. But if you compare both anime and manga even Kuroo's expressions seem much more intense in the manga, the fact that they didn't get to adapt it so well is kind of sad, even if his issues are still there everything seems to have less feeling in it.

Like,

But I'm still enjoying the anime and I hope to continue enjoying it until the end. I'd love to read the manga if I could tho.

Yeah the expressions are also partially what I meant about more intense, not just the "gore" X) But they also intensified the scene with the girl in the last episode, he definitely didn't grab her face in the manga. But yeah, everything is definitely slightly more toned down. Hopefully this gets people's attention to translate the manga? Though YBJ has a pretty low watching number in comparison to other shows this season. I would like to read it in English too since my Chinese is alright, takes me a little longer to read than in English.

Young Black Jack has been really enjoyable so far, it's one of my favorite anime of the season.
Oct 24, 2015 5:33 PM

Apr 2011
tingy said:

Yeah the expressions are also partially what I meant about more intense, not just the "gore" X) But they also intensified the scene with the girl in the last episode, he definitely didn't grab her face in the manga. But yeah, everything is definitely slightly more toned down. Hopefully this gets people's attention to translate the manga? Though YBJ has a pretty low watching number in comparison to other shows this season. I would like to read it in English too since my Chinese is alright, takes me a little longer to read than in English.

Young Black Jack has been really enjoyable so far, it's one of my favorite anime of the season.

That's what I'm hoping for, that maybe someone will be interested in translating the manga, but as you said the anime isn't so popular. ): And yes it's one of the best anime this season imo.
Oct 24, 2015 6:38 PM

Jun 2014
damn he just saved that guy in the middle of the Battlefield . 0 fucks Given . if Chuck Norris was a Doctor his name would be Hazama Kuroo . Pretty intense episode , i like it so far
Oct 24, 2015 6:45 PM

Jan 2014
I can't wait for the next episode.
Kuroo has some serious balls to do surgery in the middle of a battle
Oct 24, 2015 9:24 PM

Jan 2013
Unexpected to see him in Vietnam right from the beginning of the episode.
This guy is a boss,there should be more doctors like him!
This animes is getting even better.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 25, 2015 1:54 AM

Mar 2013
YaoiWarrior said:

I don't think half as many people would complain if he was actually attractive and not some weird misshapen overly bishie mess. Plus it's not even regular shirtlessness, the author's just obviously got some weirdass fetish for watching the guy get chained up and then hit in the face.
Oct 25, 2015 4:31 AM

Jun 2013
Vetnamese girl named Phan? Why did I think about Michelle Phan, the famous youtube beauty guru all of a sudden who also happens to be Vietnamese? Michelle Phan has lighter skin though.

True depiction of this war would show Phan being raped. They had a low opinion of women and saw them as sex objects especially during the war.
臭い-
Oct 25, 2015 6:55 AM

Sep 2014
Well this was a good episode. Let's see what happens next.
Oct 25, 2015 8:24 AM

Sep 2015
BOSS. GOD. JESUS HIMSELF.... You name it. There aren't enough adjectives to describe this MC.

What a fun watch this has been. 4/5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2015 10:53 PM

Mar 2012
Another awesome episode. Loving how the story is going so far and the MC is pretty interesting :) Also found the action in this episode to be pretty good and didn't feel out of place.
Oct 26, 2015 3:16 PM

May 2014
Wow I thought we where heading into a flashback but the story's only continuing? Amazing :0
Everything aside this was a pretty good episode, introduced some new characters, the journalist guy bothers me, not the guy himself but because he's a journalist.
I oughta say this show is pretty amazing, the art being just right, the characters cool.
And the anime up till now has been pretty amazing, although the surgeries look the same all of them are doing something else. With a fine twist and turn of events around the corner here and there.
Surely it is one of the better ones inbetween the fall anime.
4/5
Oct 26, 2015 5:41 PM

Dec 2008
Hazama can operate on me any time and anywhere. That is all.
Oct 27, 2015 1:46 PM

Feb 2012
Ugh, I don't really like the sudden Vietnam setting in this.
Oct 28, 2015 5:27 AM

Feb 2014
Wow, we are soaked deep in the violence of war..

Jack shows his steel nerves and operates right on the battlefield, he gets taken hostage though :/
Oct 28, 2015 3:52 PM

Dec 2014
Operating in the middle of a battlefield? Hazama knows no boundaries.
Oct 28, 2015 11:52 PM

Oct 2011
Whoa he's saving him while they are all shooting at one another 0_________0
Oct 29, 2015 5:05 AM
Jul 2018
Hazama's got guts operating in the middle of a battlefield, it was badass to see tbh. I enjoyed this episode very much and it looks like next time will be great as well, the new doctor they're introducing is interesting me.

Oct 31, 2015 11:15 PM

Jul 2008
Badass scene but it'll probably be for naught.
Nov 3, 2015 10:32 PM

Dec 2012
A little arc start ! Good episode, it was better than the previous.
Nov 4, 2015 11:46 AM

Jul 2012
Seriously? Hazama, that wasn't worth the risk. Come on. Somehow he still survived even though his entire equipment suitcase got rekt. Pls.
Nov 28, 2015 6:36 PM

Feb 2008
Black Jack just doesn't give a shit. He's like a honey badger, doing his thing without giving a crap about things around him.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jan 12, 2016 2:07 AM

Aug 2014
lets be honest, hazama should have died or been injured from having a rocket launched so close to him but okay.
Jan 15, 2016 11:29 AM

Mar 2010
Animation is a bit too still
Dec 7, 2020 9:18 PM

May 2016
Hazama's been through shit most medical professionals won't even experience in their lifetimes. Here's to hoping that his act of reckless valor in the battlefield wouldn't be for nothing thanks to those pesky Viet Congs.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Thoughts on Young Black Jack

Hydre_Ito - Sep 19, 2020

5 by Shidoteki »»
Jun 17, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2015

193 by KuriPuri »»
May 8, 1:47 AM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2015

74 by Delgear »»
Nov 11, 2021 2:25 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2015

125 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 20, 2021 4:49 PM

» Could I watch this without watching the original anime?

Kamirator - Apr 23, 2021

4 by Kamirator »»
Apr 25, 2021 3:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.