Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 2, 2015 5:22 PM

Mar 2010
found this one meh as well.. Kinda enjoyed lances more lol.
Oct 2, 2015 5:30 PM

May 2013
Wasn't a fan of the immediate info dump at the beginning or the fanservice that I honestly feel could have and should have been left out but I suppose the episode wasn't all too bad. It certainly wasn't anything spectacular but it was decent enough.
Insert philosophical quote or exceptional picture here.
Oct 2, 2015 5:34 PM

Jul 2013
I finally watched the episode and all I can say is: I totally get why the first episode got a mixed reception. Its difficult to say that anything remarkable happened. Quite literally it was an introduction episode.

The gist is pretty simple:
*These are Objects and they've totally changed how wars have operated; i.e. the Object is quite literally the only thing that matters.
*Here's our protagonists and their reasons for being on base.
*Here's the rest of the characters.
*Here's some fanservice to stop you from getting bored.
*Life's pretty calm and uneventful when someone else is doing the fighting.
*'Oh Shit' moment right at the end.

Its because the Oh shit moment only happened at the end that the reception of the characters and episode has been mixed. It can't be helped. Nothing much else happened.

Hopefully, Episode 2 can change things up as Quenser/Qwenthur and Heivia/Havia start adapting to the battlefield that they are left in. And the eventual David vs Goliath moment where they work together to take down the enemy Object.

Animation and colours are a bit flat but JC Staff is JC Staff.

Also, I quite enjoyed the OP song. At least there's confirmation that we're adapting til the end of Volume 2. The question is: Are we doing it in one cour? Is it going to be split cour?

EDIT: Also I've seen people make this mistake already but Qwenthur is the blonde student working with maintenance. Havia is the analyst hunting the deer.
OHandSOct 2, 2015 5:39 PM
Oct 2, 2015 5:39 PM

Jul 2013
OHandS said:
Also, I quite enjoyed the OP song. At least there's confirmation that we're adapting til the end of Volume 2. The question is: Are we doing it in one cour? Is it going to be split cour?

Since there's different OP for each cour, 2 vols for each cour, maybe. So, 4 vols total in 24 eps though there's still no confirmation whether this will be split-cour or not since it's currently taking GATE time slot which is coming back in Winter.

Oct 2, 2015 5:57 PM

Dec 2013
Pretty meh start. Found myself screaming at the MC to help that chick!
Oct 2, 2015 6:06 PM

Aug 2013
Well i know this will be a introductory episode with heavy expositions and stuff so i don't expect a flashy one.

Next ones should be all boom and pew pew though
Oct 2, 2015 6:08 PM

Apr 2014
Garbage, I consider it nothing more than an advertisement for the novel and a cash grab for JC. Pacing is terrible, fanservice and exposition is forced, hell the objects aren't moving at the correct speed of 500km/h. Piece of crap.
"You had no free will, you chased your vices along the same path as all of the others." - Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Diamond in the rough
Oct 2, 2015 6:09 PM

Jun 2013
I'll be honest, I was really looking forward to this anime ever since they announced it way back when but this first episode was just average at best
Oct 2, 2015 6:21 PM

Mar 2010
Reminds me of Bolo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_(tank)

https://www.goodreads.com/series/49232-bolo
All things are possible, except skiing through a revolving door.
Oct 2, 2015 6:29 PM

Apr 2015
Seems like an alright start. Hopefully it picks up next episode, but it's a bit interesting so far.
Oct 2, 2015 6:50 PM

Jul 2015
For now showed nothing else just explain a few things that Object will continue to follow the same way that it can be more interesting in the coming episodes after all this is still the first
Oct 2, 2015 6:57 PM

Jan 2011
I suppressed my Index salt just because i wanted to at least see what Heavy Object was about but this left me worried started off with a decent info dump Objects were pretty much war deterrents until everyone else started making their own lol,i'm interested to see where this goes since infantry still plays a role in the clean wars...just hoping the fanservice isn't more of the focus.

and no mother fucking Digital camo?! what!
Oct 2, 2015 6:58 PM

Aug 2015
I don't get what's with the complaint on the CG's, IMO it's fine, not good nor bad but still presentable. Anyway I enjoyed the ep so far, but still hoping they improved it in the next ep since the 1st 5 mins of exposition are kinda meh.
Oct 2, 2015 7:15 PM

Apr 2014
they were shoveling snow ONTO the runaway at the beginning. lel
Oct 2, 2015 7:23 PM

Jul 2013
ap1001 said:
Garbage, I consider it nothing more than an advertisement for the novel and a cash grab for JC. Pacing is terrible, fanservice and exposition is forced, hell the objects aren't moving at the correct speed of 500km/h. Piece of crap.

I might've missed it but where did it said that those Objects can move at a speed of 500km/h?

Oct 2, 2015 7:27 PM

Apr 2013
It was okay
I like the interactions between the two male characters, but that's probably the only thing I like from this ep
The 3dcg is bad and the other aspects are just okay so far
I hope it improve
Oct 2, 2015 7:38 PM
Jan 2010
I might've missed it but where did it said that those Objects can move at a speed of 500km/h?

That eyecatch in the middle of the episode.
Oct 2, 2015 7:43 PM

Nov 2014
this instead of index3

2/5
Oct 2, 2015 7:56 PM

Apr 2010
Really bad, good opening song tho
Oct 2, 2015 8:13 PM

Jan 2015
It seems average but I'll continue watching it. It has a nice amount of fanservice, not too much. The opening song was good. I like the setting.
WizilizOct 2, 2015 9:03 PM
Oct 2, 2015 8:21 PM

Apr 2014
I enjoyed the opening exposition more than I did the rest... thats a new one for me...
I say "I'm speechless" to tell you I want to say something though am not sure how...
Oct 2, 2015 8:29 PM

Apr 2014
I'm not that into Mecha anime...so I can't tell for sure if I will continue or stop yet.
MC is not the one to use Object...he is a backer -_-
Not that interesting too, somewhat lacking if I do say so myself.
I will give it 2 or 3 more episode.
Oct 2, 2015 8:44 PM

Jul 2013
EasyGo-er said:
ap1001 said:

Orix said:
That eyecatch in the middle of the episode.

Thanks.

Well, it said top speed and not average speed. Doubt the acceleration is high enough to reach the top speed in a short time. The Object would need to move straight for quite some time to reach the top speed and I don't think that would be a smart move in a battle against other Objects. There's also the uneven terrains to consider.

Oct 2, 2015 8:54 PM

Mar 2012
Pretty boring since it was only an introduction.
Oct 2, 2015 9:15 PM
Oct 2014
Lots of guns, alright explosions, I'm willing to stick it out.
Oct 2, 2015 9:28 PM
Oct 2010
Pretty bad, the premise doesn't make much sense either. Why nuke the object and not the country it belongs to?
Oct 2, 2015 9:39 PM

Apr 2010
We got this instead of Index S3?

That was really boring.
Oct 2, 2015 9:43 PM

May 2015
Xenocrisi said:
What a boring first episode. Bad CG imo. I was sleeping the first 5 minutes.
I don't even want this on my list.

^ This! It was so boring! The only thing I like so far is the characters design but that's about it. I didn't hate it because I had low expectations but img, they weren't this low....
I wil tune in next week because I like giving second chances but if they don't improve by then it goes on my dropped list...
Oct 2, 2015 10:16 PM
Jun 2013
i fucking hate pussy main characters like him. he couldnt save her from the belt because he was so m=worried about touching her boobs. i mean come on, but other than that, it looks interesting and looking forward to the character development
Oct 2, 2015 10:48 PM

Dec 2013
Ugh. That was so boring for me, but I'll give it maybe a couple more episodes. If it's 2 cour then this show is probably looking towards a drop.

It's too bad too because this is on my FAL team.
Oct 2, 2015 10:54 PM
Jul 2015
dudes you need to understand the magic of heavy object and that is not mecha vs mecha is man vs machime in other words 2 idiots againts a metal gear lollolol
Oct 2, 2015 11:03 PM

Aug 2013
Eh. It was completely average.

The intro may have been long, but I appreciate the world building and imagery, so that's ok.

Other than that...shoveling snow when the aviation group doesn't even like, fly planes anymore? Why?

That Frolaytia chick and the blonde chick with big knockers in the OP at the end seem like they'll be the only 2 characters worth watching...why? Because tits never tell lies.

Gotta love all the "boring" "1/5" "so lame" comments. We cant just have a pilot episode with a general introduction anymore. Unless there's some kind of dark edgy moment or a plot twist right off the get-go, everyone screams trash at how bad the episode is. *slow clap for the MAL community*

Part of me wants this show to be good and do well (because I don't like watching shows I think are bad), but part of me wants this whole show to fail and sell really bad so then JC and the publisher will realize that they need to do Index 3.
Oct 2, 2015 11:09 PM

Nov 2011
This was about as average as a starting episode gets. It wasn't particularly bad, but there isn't really much to praise either.

I appreciated the exposition at the beginning. It set the stage and made clear why Objects are relevant (even to the point of noting a nuke's affect on one). The CG didn't bother me either; I thought it was decent. However, I felt like a lot of liberties were taken with the MCs starting out with a(n apparently) close relationship with both the base commander and the Object pilot. I understand that it might have been necessary to keep the beginning from dragging, but some sort of explanation would have been helpful. Other than that, the fanservice didn't fit. The scene with Qwenthur contemplating whether he should save Milinda since he'd have to touch her boobs was especially lame.

Oh, and I really like the Heavy Object designs (even if they are horribly unrealistic). They remind me of the Arms Forts in Armored Core 4/For Answer.

It was good enough to keep watching, anyway.

Edit: Imgur album for anyone interested.

Jonesy974 said:
Gotta love all the "boring" "1/5" "so lame" comments. We cant just have a pilot episode with a general introduction anymore. Unless there's some kind of dark edgy moment or a plot twist right off the get-go, everyone screams trash at how bad the episode is. *slow clap for the MAL community*

Yeah. I don't think we've been shown enough to determine whether this is worth watching yet.

There's a lot of overreacting and/or prejudice going on in this thread imo.
TripleSRankOct 3, 2015 12:47 AM
Oct 2, 2015 11:51 PM

Mar 2014
Y'know, I get that not all works of fiction can account for the nuances of higher-level knowledge in certain fields. I don't care if you handwave certain details when they get in the way of good storytelling - like how most space battles would liquefy the pilots from g-forces, or how mecha is economically non-viable. Rule of Cool is a thing, and I can accept a few takings of creative license.

However, I really hate when common sense is thrown out the window.

First, starting off the show with such a suspension-of-disbelief-breaking thing as a weapon presented pseudo-realistically tanking a fucking nuke is just goddamn stupid. Nothing beats nukes, unless you explicitly are gonna make clear exceptions in your story's physics (Minovsky Particles, anyone?). Ironically enough, sphere's aren't really all that good at surviving explosions - the best shape is a cylinder.

Two, while this is a bit of military theory, common sense dictates that if the enemy has a weapon you can't kill, then just go kill the people that sent it. So what if the Object is untouchable? Unless they've got a dozen of the things, an attack on the country's population and government would end the war - with nukes, hilariously enough, being the best option. This is the reason the US and USSR didn't build massive anti-missile systems as much as they could have; if either side felt like it was about to lose the ability to threaten with nuclear arms, they would have preemptively attacked before they lost all capacity. The instant the Object was recognized as a superweapon, the response wouldn't have been "Let's build more!" it would've been "Nuke the fuckers."

Third, and again this goes a bit deeper into military theory, but FFS there is no such thing as an end-all weapon, especially not in 4th-generation warfare. Christ, 4G warfare is defined by how smaller, less technologically-advantaged forces leverage strength in insurgent tactics to bypass militaries they'd otherwise be unable to touch. If you can't blow up the tank, blow up the refueling station. If you can't touch the airplane, destroy its runway. If you can't scratch the military, go after the civilian population.

Lastly, I'm just gonna say it - the mech designs look absolutely retarded. I almost want to dig through my old stuff, because I'm almost certain that "big impenetrable ball with guns poking out of it in all directions" was something I doodled in 1st grade.

500km/h
Wait, so these land-based behemoths are outpacing goddamn jet aircraft?
xthorgoldxOct 3, 2015 12:13 AM
Oct 3, 2015 12:52 AM

Jun 2013
I'll show you my heavy object.

I'll show you my baby magnum.

(God I hope this continues)
Oct 3, 2015 12:55 AM

Oct 2014
That was a cool first episode. Gonna keep watching it
why
Oct 3, 2015 12:56 AM

Sep 2015
when normal mecha fights are like Karate, then heavy object fights are the animefication of two fat people throwing rocks at each other

xthorgoldx said:

500km/h
Wait, so these land-based behemoths are outpacing goddamn jet aircraft?

two fast fat people throwing rocks at each other

anyway boring anime so far

1st privat episode review

Nigami_ShinOct 3, 2015 1:15 AM

Oct 3, 2015 1:02 AM

Apr 2013
the writing is abysmal, my god is the dialog bad...

action was decent setting itself is pretty interesting

characters aren't really likable

not sure yet depends on where the focus is of the series
Oct 3, 2015 1:21 AM

May 2014
The fist episode... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBS
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Oct 3, 2015 1:26 AM
Jul 2018
I liked the info dump at the beginning but everything else was meh and the characters are really annoying so far. I'll give it a few more episodes before deciding to drop though, it might surprise me.
Oct 3, 2015 1:28 AM

Nov 2013
i thought this will be serious anime, without ecchi thing, or fan services.
Oct 3, 2015 1:30 AM

Aug 2014
looked above average I guess, so that's good

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Oct 3, 2015 1:34 AM

Jul 2013
This is not what I envisioned when reading it.

Thanks again JC ! -.-
Oct 3, 2015 1:36 AM

Feb 2015
Gotta follow the 3-Episode rule!
Some parts were boring, some were nice.
Looking forward to next ep
Oct 3, 2015 1:59 AM
Jan 2015
raveninthemuddle said:
...followed up by someone no one knows sneezing. Great job Hiroyuki Yoshino, you did it again.

Yeah, usually when a show starts you end up seeing people you haven't seen before.

But I agree, this is a really bad start. I'll give it another episode before I drop it.
Oct 3, 2015 2:22 AM

May 2014
Good animation good soundtrack but nothing interesting happened... but yeah.. maybe it'll get better wa can't know
"A life that lives without doing anything is the same as a slow death" -Lelouch Vi Brittania
Oct 3, 2015 2:58 AM

Jul 2007
Well, the sourcematerial is mediocre but still pretty enjoyable when you ignore the technobla.
But I really dunno why ppl say that cg is bad. Haters gonna hate. I thought it was good.
Oct 3, 2015 3:05 AM

Jul 2014
Well now we're past the introductory bull and can see some action. Was the first battle against the four legged object? This level of CGI doesn't look good but doesn't look bad either, they can make a decent adaptation.
Oct 3, 2015 3:15 AM

Nov 2014
im a exposition kind of guy as well id focus more on the words than whats happening so the beginning is ok for me

other than that,it was a disappointment.

fan service?on the 1st ep?on a 14 year old girl who is dying?god that guy frustrates me so much theres someone dying there and all you care about are her boobs?wow dude

that ending left no impact on me whatsoever as well.kind of pointless.instead of showing us all this useless stuff id like more plot-based content tyvm
Oct 3, 2015 3:26 AM

May 2009
xSanox said:
the writing is abysmal, my god is the dialog bad...
action was decent setting itself is pretty interesting
characters aren't really likable
not sure yet depends on where the focus is of the series

What was wrong with the writing and dialogs?
Characters don't need to be likeable from start for everyone.
Focus is science fiction show with buddy comedy.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Heavy Object Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

125 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 7, 2023 9:27 AM

Poll: » Heavy Object Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

61 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 7, 2023 8:30 AM

Poll: » Heavy Object Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2016

48 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 4, 2023 1:52 PM

Poll: » Heavy Object Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2016

65 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 4, 2023 1:07 PM

Poll: » Heavy Object Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2016

56 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 4, 2023 12:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.