Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 20, 2015 10:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Gotta get those nice test scores~

Really refreshing episode in particular with the setting this week. I just love how some of the characters reacted in class and at home while Renge takes it like it's almost nothing. But yeah, cute episode, cute series. This is exactly what I had wanted and hoped for.

Jul 20, 2015 12:27 PM

Aug 2013
Renge was cute like always <3
Great episode.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 20, 2015 12:33 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Might be unpopular, but i didn't really like the second half. Any teacher stuff is not that funny to me. Not even Renge could save that.

First half was great though. I couldn't help but crack at Nii-chan struggling without his glasses LOL

Whoof!
Jul 20, 2015 12:37 PM

Nov 2013
Smudy said:
Might be unpopular, but i didn't really like the second half. Any teacher stuff is not that funny to me. Not even Renge could save that.

First half was great though. I couldn't help but crack at Nii-chan struggling without his glasses LOL

Whoof!

I actually agree about the second half, felt like it went on a little too long for me personally (although it did have some good laughs in it).

Still though, I liked the first part with the tests. And Nii-chan trying to read the questions even without his glasses - now that's dedication!
"Get chance and luck!"
Jul 20, 2015 12:48 PM

Apr 2010
Ren chan certainly got her sister good tho that wasn't very nice of her.
Tho her sister is partly to blame.
It served as a good motivation for Natsumi who probably got a very rough time from her mother with her first grade.
Jul 20, 2015 12:48 PM

Jan 2012
So much Kazuho this week! Well as good as Ren-chon is I guess there's just no changing her big sister's sleepy, lazy ways.:D Good as always, but this episode also felt kinda off somehow, maybe the pacing? I dunno but probably the weakest episode of either season so far for me.
animefan8800Jul 20, 2015 12:53 PM
Jul 20, 2015 12:49 PM

Feb 2015
Really liked the second half. 'My heart just got subtracted.'
Jul 20, 2015 12:55 PM
Jul 2018
Kazuho is sure lazy.

Renge is so cute.

Natsumi did a good job on her make-up test!
Jul 20, 2015 1:05 PM

Jul 2015
The first half was hilarious with Natsumi and the english question haha. The part with Nii-san was priceless. Second half was cute too with Nee-nee being lazy as ever and Ren-chon's cute way of trying to get her to stop being lazy.
Jul 20, 2015 1:21 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
I thought all of Natsumi's answers from the textbook were spot on. Too bad, they were way too advanced for a normal test. Her pizza/hiza question fail was hilarious too!

Ren-chon's lecture about motivating people was great! Pretty funny how her eyes turned dark after hearing there's no cake. Way to unmotivate her, Kazuho. >.>

A bit surprised Natsumi scored higher than Komari in the second test. Kazuho's deranged behavior must've motivated her quite a bit.

Decent episode. Ren-chon's little song in the PV was too cute! :3

Jul 20, 2015 1:22 PM

Jun 2015
Love this episode so much!! Renge is really mature for her age, and as someone who wears glasses back in school, what Natsun did sure was nasty.. I wonder if Nii-chan did badly for his test coz he didnt have glasses during it,

Best moments of the episode:

Jul 20, 2015 1:22 PM

Mar 2014
I could really relate with that episode. Natsumi's struggle with the authors intention at writing this scene. x.x

Also liked the second half. Pretty mean thing Ren-chon did but she did motivate the others. xD
“Listen, little girl. When I refer to a young woman, I mean someone who manages a student dorm and has the tolerance to give anyone advice if they want it. And there is one thing you lack as far as that’s concerned. Do you know what that is, little girl?”

There was no way she could, so she gave him a confused look and he gave the answer.

“These common breasts of yours disqualify you from providing the support of a young woman. Give up and try again later.”
-Kamijou Touma
Jul 20, 2015 1:39 PM
Mar 2014

This shot alone affirms my assumption that the director no longer takes pride in the project.

Another boring episode. Seems the show used up all of the manga's best content in the first season, and now we're being desperately fed leftovers on a silver platter (to subjective degrees of success).
vegetablespiritJul 20, 2015 1:48 PM
Jul 20, 2015 1:53 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Just me or is this season better than the first btw?

The problem with the original NNB was that nothing ever happened in it. It could have entire episodes dedicated to like walking to the store and back and nothing else. This however feels much more like a normal slice of life comedy which is actually pretty funny rather than solely relaxing (which quite frankly was pretty boring)
Jul 20, 2015 1:58 PM

Mar 2014
vodall said:

This shot alone affirms my assumption that the director no longer takes pride in the project.

Another boring episode. Seems the show used up all of the manga's best content in the first season, and now we're being desperately fed leftovers on a silver platter (to subjective degrees of success).
What's wrong with that shot?
Jul 20, 2015 2:10 PM

Dec 2014
That was pretty funny, i actually laughed out loud more than once
Jul 20, 2015 2:18 PM
Mar 2014
Paulo27 said:
vodall said:

What's wrong with that shot?

It serves no direct purpose in characterizing the area around them, so it only makes the conversation at hand seem needlessly distant. In a show entirely character-driven such as this, it could be equated to an action movie briefly cutting to a flower in the midst of a fight scene.

It's easy to see what he was going for (reinforcing the dialogue's emphasis on the TV remote), but it should never be used to complicate what's already on-screen. He already had a perfectly fine one with the same intention when they were still discussing it:

edit: constantly rephrasing things, as always
vegetablespiritJul 20, 2015 2:36 PM
Jul 20, 2015 2:34 PM

Jul 2012
HaXXspetten said:

The problem with the original NNB was that nothing ever happened in it. It could have entire episodes dedicated to like walking to the store and back and nothing else. This however feels much more like a normal slice of life comedy which is actually pretty funny rather than solely relaxing (which quite frankly was pretty boring)

I agree with ya, I don't really remember what happened in the first season but that probably plays a factor as well. Either ways, I remember watching the first season and felt pretty bored most of the time but I've actually laughed and enjoyed every episode in Repeat so far.

Anyways, the episode was nice, though I do agree that the 2nd half went on a little too long. Gotta love how Renge got her sister when she was trying to lead her to her room though xD
Jul 20, 2015 2:38 PM

Jul 2010
Those science questions are hard... it was fun seeing Natsumi getting the magic number despite taking the test. Those answers...

The second part was okay, seeing the two put up with each other. That game to ruin motivation and Renge tricking her sister.

Sometimes it is weird how I didn't laugh as much when I saw a scene, only to laugh more when I think about it again.
Jul 20, 2015 2:50 PM

Oct 2014
Very funny episode. First half with the tests and Natsumi´s struggle with them was hilarious. X3
Holy Madoka! The Yuri is strong here!

My Anime List
Jul 20, 2015 2:58 PM

Jan 2014
vodall said:
It serves no direct purpose in characterizing the area around them, so it only makes the conversation at hand seem needlessly distant. In a show entirely character-driven such as this, it could be equated to an action movie briefly cutting to a flower in the midst of a fight scene.

Did you really just nitpick a 7 sec(!!) long shot and criticize it for not further "characterizing the surroundings", although we've been following their conversation for over 5 minutes at that point already? Like, do you genuinely think the surrounding "needed more characterization" at that point?
And you also go and consider something like that proof for the director no loner "taking pride in this series"? Probably one of the dumbest things I've read all day, congratulations. You even thought up a possible reason for why this shot exists a few minutes later, so just because YOU don't like that choice hardly reinforces any such idea.

That scene was probably just there for some clever visual diversity anyway, nothing more and nothing wrong with that. I mean, we've been watching these two for a good 10 mins this episode, staying in the same room, just sitting their and talking.

No offense, but you might as well post that this show is simply boring to you, because some nitpicked frame like that hardly make you sound clever or objective.
JoekstarJul 20, 2015 3:01 PM
Jul 20, 2015 2:59 PM

Oct 2012
It really feels like they took the most boring parts from season one and put them here.

Man, why they are always in the school, can't they go play around the village? Cause that was the main appeal of previous adaptation.

HaXXspetten said:

I beg to differ. I really enjoyed the first season a lot more. Whole point of walking and enjoying the countryside in the first season was precisely the thing that made it unique. It felt both relaxing and heartwarming. Of course, provided one had the right mood to watch it. But the way it is now, this show is just like every other SoL comedy show.
Mich666Jul 20, 2015 3:12 PM
Jul 20, 2015 3:56 PM

Oct 2013
Nice episode. I was happy to see Gu once more.
Jul 20, 2015 4:16 PM
Mar 2014
BeatzYou said:
Did you really just nitpick a 7 sec(!!) long shot and criticize it for not further "characterizing the surroundings", although we've been following their conversation for over 5 minutes at that point already? Like, do you genuinely think the surrounding "needed more characterization" at that point?

And you also go and consider something like that proof for the director no loner "taking pride in this series"? Probably one of the dumbest things I've read all day, congratulations. You even thought up a possible reason for why this shot exists a few minutes later, so just because YOU don't like that choice hardly reinforces any such idea.

The other poster asked me to explain why I thought it wasn't a good shot, so that's all I did. I wouldn't say that I'm making up any fantastical reasons for its quality, either; this kind of talk comes naturally to anyone even slightly critical who's taken a film class or two before.

BeatzYou said:
No offense, but you might as well post that this show is simply boring to you, because some nitpicked frame like that hardly make you sound clever or objective.

Already did:

vodall said:
Another boring episode.
Jul 20, 2015 6:41 PM

Oct 2012
Renge more put together then Kazuho
Jul 20, 2015 7:11 PM

Jan 2014
I loved seeing big bro trying to read without his glasses haha
I'm a jazz number with no beat, tune, or direction.

Jul 20, 2015 8:11 PM

Apr 2014
Oh Renge...you always make my day shine.
This episode is so relaxing...
The test...damn just thinking about it make me sad...it's almost time for school too.
Oh well, let's get out of reality and watch some more anime ;)
Jul 20, 2015 8:42 PM

Oct 2014
Ahh yes..renge is cute as always.
Jul 20, 2015 8:48 PM

Nov 2013
Mich666 said:
I beg to differ. I really enjoyed the first season a lot more. Whole point of walking and enjoying the countryside in the first season was precisely the thing that made it unique. It felt both relaxing and heartwarming. Of course, provided one had the right mood to watch it. But the way it is now, this show is just like every other SoL comedy show.

Agreed. The first season is often classified as an iyashikei anime because it's essentially designed to have a soothing effect on the viewer, much in the vein of Aria or Kamichu! I still remember the first couple minutes of the first episode; it consists of a series of gorgeous scenery shots followed by a scene of Renge strolling along a country path playing her recorder. No dialogue, no excitement, no anything really - yet it pulled me in instantly.

The only thing I didn't like about the first season was the comedy, though fortunately it wasn't the primary element of the show; it was mainly present to contribute to the show's light atmosphere. So far, this season seems to have more of a focus on the comedy, which detracts from the show's healing nature — the main reason I watch it in the first place.
Jul 20, 2015 9:52 PM

May 2014
Awesome episode as always, I didn't want it to end! Renge was consistently adorable.

So it's looking like this season will solely focus on events during the same timeline as the first season, just focusing on random different days. I won't complain, although it is a little strange.
Jul 20, 2015 10:34 PM

Dec 2011
I feel that this episode was a bit boring... prolly because I dont like Natsumi compared to the cast... but Ren-chon's parts was still good. Just felt dragged.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 20, 2015 10:34 PM

Nov 2012
this episode didn't feel like 20 min at all, the ending song started before i knew it.

great episode, and lots of nice scenes with renge.
Jul 20, 2015 11:36 PM

Jul 2014
Consistent as usual. Crazy Funny and Renge is a futre Godess
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Jul 20, 2015 11:38 PM
Jul 2018
Will oni-chan ever say a word?
Jul 20, 2015 11:51 PM

Sep 2009
"Pizza, pizza, pizza, pizza, pizza
Pizza, pizza, pizza, pizza... pizza"
Awwww~~~
でぶ
Jul 20, 2015 11:56 PM

Nov 2013
Every episode revolves around classroom and Hotarun is always a plus lol.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jul 21, 2015 2:16 AM

Jul 2014
That was much better than the last two episodes. It felt a lot less disjointed this time and was also a lot funnier as well. More episodes like this please (except maybe less focus on the teacher).
Jul 21, 2015 2:58 AM

May 2013
Ne-ne made me laugh out loud more than once in this episode, easily becoming my favorite character in the series. Good episode.
*insert cringey anime reference here*
Jul 21, 2015 3:43 AM

Jan 2011
I guess Renge wouldn't be a fan of Princess Tomato.
Jul 21, 2015 4:15 AM

May 2013
The cake is still a lie.

Poor Renchon. T_T
Jul 21, 2015 4:49 AM

Oct 2009
Saturn19 said:
Will oni-chan ever say a word?

Obviously no XD
Jul 21, 2015 5:39 AM

Feb 2013
A lot of Renge and Kazuho this week.
Another cute episode, I had quite a few good laughs.

Jul 21, 2015 6:33 AM

Apr 2012
I guess I know why Nee-Nee decided to work as teacher in her village rather than working in the city.
teaching only 5 children( and I remember from 1st season that they usually self study).and if the only thing to make her happy is just sleeping and lazing around, I guess there is no better job and better place than what she already have LoL.

Nii-chan/Nii-Nii is struggling without his glasses,wonder how he get it back before the test is over LoL.
Jul 21, 2015 6:46 AM

Jul 2013
A surprisingly hilarious episode.. much funnier than the average episode of this series.

Loved every skit especially the last one. Kazuho was just hilarious at the end there and Natsumi just gave up on her laziness lol..

Those test answers though XD XD XD

vodall said:

The other poster asked me to explain why I thought it wasn't a good shot, so that's all I did. I wouldn't say that I'm making up any fantastical reasons for its quality, either; this kind of talk comes naturally to anyone even slightly critical who's taken a film class or two before.

I don't know about fantastical reasons but you're certainly making a fantastical conclusion out of it. I'm amazed you can conclude that the director no longer has pride in this project from that one shot alone out of the hundreds we've seen so far in 3 episodes and the potential thousands we'll see in the coming episodes.

Tienjt said:

Agreed. The first season is often classified as an iyashikei anime because it's essentially designed to have a soothing effect on the viewer, much in the vein of Aria or Kamichu! I still remember the first couple minutes of the first episode; it consists of a series of gorgeous scenery shots followed by a scene of Renge strolling along a country path playing her recorder. No dialogue, no excitement, no anything really - yet it pulled me in instantly.

The only thing I didn't like about the first season was the comedy, though fortunately it wasn't the primary element of the show; it was mainly present to contribute to the show's light atmosphere. So far, this season seems to have more of a focus on the comedy, which detracts from the show's healing nature — the main reason I watch it in the first place.

Depends on what you like on SoL shows in the first place. I'm not surprised there are many who would find the first season really boring (for me it was somewhere in the middle, neither too boring nor too good). Imo SoL anime without comedy is like bread without butter.. then again some people like their bread without butter. A great SoL needs to find balance in soothing your heart while also providing a good dose of comedy. That's why Aria is so great because it's the one anime that has that perfect balance, and that's also why I find it weird that you mentioned Aria since it has a good dose of cute funny (at times downright hilarious) moments as much as any comedy SoL. I mean not every episode of Aria showed you the wonders of Aqua in length, right? sometimes it's just full character interactions interspersed with comedy like this NNB episode (for example the episode showing the three fairies' past or the episode where Akari visited Orange Company)
MoeGodJul 21, 2015 7:14 AM
Jul 21, 2015 6:51 AM

Jan 2015
Loved this episode
Jul 21, 2015 7:42 AM

Sep 2014
Fantastic episode. It went be so nicely. I love Ren-chon to bits. This was definitely one of the best episodes I've seen in all of Non Non Biyori till now.
Jul 21, 2015 8:41 AM

Jun 2013
i wrote my name but i still got a zero i demand retribution!!!!
Jul 21, 2015 8:55 AM

Nov 2010
Lol, Natsumi is such a fun character.

Nice to see more of Nee-Nee.
Jul 21, 2015 10:05 AM

Oct 2014
Gotta love Onii-san.. :3

Oh, and this is really cute.. :3

read from right to left
Jul 21, 2015 11:37 AM

Feb 2007
Motivate the others: Mission accomplished.

I was quite surprised by Kazuho's cooking skills, though. Didn't expect the result to be actually edible. She'd clearly more skillful than I thought.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Repeat Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2015

162 by Puncheon »»
Jul 1, 7:21 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Repeat Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2015

114 by nirererin »»
Jul 1, 12:03 AM

» Random Fact: Non Non Biyori and Repeat took place at around 2004.

VaasMontenegro - Aug 17, 2021

12 by bassyey »»
Mar 4, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Repeat Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2015

122 by Sun_Chan »»
Jan 2, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Repeat Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2015

95 by Sun_Chan »»
Jan 2, 2:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.