Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2008 11:12 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kind of weird episode. The goblins were cool looking though.
KinetaNov 25, 2012 10:25 AM
I'm back.
Jul 11, 2009 12:07 AM

May 2008
confused how they chose to do this rather than just continue from the dragon battle.
Jul 11, 2009 12:18 AM

Dec 2007
The dragon battle is actually the middle part of the series (chronologically, it would be episode 7). It was more of a promo thing that was released first to entice viewers. The series from this point on is linear, going from beginning to end.
Jul 21, 2010 4:48 AM

Feb 2009
So thats how it begins. The human Warrior, a Priest, a Dwarf, a Wizard I guess.. and an Elf. We also got an interesting battle against goblins. I guess the Thief (I'm guessing the guy in the first episode was a Thief) will be "introduced" next episode.

They don't do anime like this anymore... not saying they don't do it good or bad, they just don't do it like this =/
Jun 4, 2011 8:13 AM

Apr 2009
Veethorn said:
I guess the Thief (I'm guessing the guy in the first episode was a Thief) will be "introduced" next episode.

Yeah I was guessing he was a Thief too.

That was convenient for setting up the quest party and actually killing two birds in one stone, send the townspeople's "perceived" culprit of the goblin threat to investigate the actual nature of the threat.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 8, 2013 2:29 AM

Sep 2012
This group is well balanced. Go to quest !
Mar 7, 2014 10:15 PM

Aug 2013
Parn why did you burn your house? You could train around the area and rest in your house for free. Now you have to pay the inn to recover. Well if Slayn was the inn keeper I guess it's okay haha.
xcheeMar 7, 2014 10:25 PM
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 23, 2015 6:41 PM

Sep 2014
The true beginning. Ep 2.

Plot: Parn and co's exodus begins with Parn defending his village against goblins alongside Etoh. Slayn and Ghim join with Ghim having his own quest involving the daughter of a friend/associate. After a furious goblin attack resulting in many deaths, Parn sets out to find why the attacks have been rising as of late.

Character: We learn much about Parn including his stubborn streak and the chip on his shoulder involving his father's disgrace. Etoh appears to be a good natured scholarly friend of Parn's while Slayne was a retired wizard. Ghim seems like a bit of a jokester or good conversation guy alongside Slayne.

That leaves Deelit, who while warned Parn and Etoh of the attack we don't learn much about her.

Animation/Sound: Nitpick but valid concern. There were several shots where it seemed a frame was skipped or from the general look just seemed off. The music continues to be great though.

4/5. I do love me some origin stories. Especially ones with good action.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Aug 30, 2015 2:18 AM

Aug 2013
The music in this show rocks.

We have our typical RPG party. I'm liking it so far.
Mar 21, 2016 8:48 AM

Jul 2015
The opening and ending are amazing, the show still look awesome, the fight against the goblin was cool, we get to know why most of them start this journey, i'm also want to know the elf reason !
Jul 31, 2016 1:35 PM

Feb 2015
Well, the animation quality took an enormous dip all of a sudden. This episode moved along so slowly, with so many still-shots, I almost fell asleep. After that epic first episode, this one really felt like a downgrade. Not sure if I'll finish this series if the next episode isn't going to be a little more exciting.
Aug 14, 2016 1:20 PM

Jan 2012
so that's how they gathered

Jan 31, 2017 5:44 PM
Aug 2014
That mayor is quite shrewd isn't he. While I understand the symbolic significance of burning down the house, the pragmatist think another family could easily have moved in.

One thing I've noticed is that in older anime, the heroes do save the day, but only after something horrible has already happened.
Feb 14, 2017 7:08 PM
Jul 2018
The art is nice, and I get the feeling it will be an interesting adventure. Deedlit is adorable.
May 24, 2017 12:44 PM

Jul 2013
Since episode 1 left me completely confused, I'm glad they made a "real" introduction episode after all.

I remember watching this anime when I was 7 or 8 years old, but this series always aired at night in my coutnry so I couldn't watch it from beginning to the end. Therefore, around 15 years later, a rewatch!

It's good so far, a bit different than I remembered, but still a decent fantasy anime.
Oct 9, 2017 3:34 PM

Jul 2016
why the house... anyways, the scene with him and his father were sad. enjoyable episode.
Dec 19, 2021 10:47 AM
Jul 2018
This was a bit of an odd episode considering what happened during the previous episode. Like, it probably would've flowed a little better if at least 2 characters (like Deedlit and Parn) were reminiscing about how they first met or something
Feb 28, 2022 11:34 AM

Jan 2009
so that is how their adventure begun eh
Mar 7, 2022 7:40 PM
Dec 2020
ErwinJA said:
The dragon battle is actually the middle part of the series (chronologically, it would be episode 7). It was more of a promo thing that was released first to entice viewers. The series from this point on is linear, going from beginning to end.
Ah, that makes sense.

Very strange, but it makes sense.
Mar 19, 2023 3:53 PM
Jan 2023
Rather odd to put an backstory episode as the second one; being, anyway, one that still leaves some questions unanswered. Nonetheless, the amazing level of the drawings keep it from being dislikable considering the nice feelings one gets when the are comes together.
Sep 18, 2023 9:50 AM

Dec 2022
So this episode tells of the first meeting of the adventuring party. The goblins actually did some significant damage to the village, but I don't think the attack was neccessarily Parn's fault. The goblins were already ambushing people in the woods at this point, and clearly already had the numbers to launch an assault on the village, so it was only a matter of time regardless.

I had to laugh at the goblin leader swinging his sword wildly at Parn a few feet away from him, more so because he was standing in place the entire time. How did any of those slashes even land?

╔═══▣ ▣═══╗
Shaded Horizon

Feb 15, 3:37 PM

Jul 2021
I guess we get the backstory now. It was a good episode those goblin designs looked cool and it was nice seeing how the crew came to be.

Parn fighting the goblins which led to them attacking the village and he came to save the day, and with the help of the others he did manage. Etoh the priest boy is such a good friend.

Seeing more of the cute elf girl Deedlit, shes cute. Parn does need some training though.

May 6, 6:31 AM
May 2015
A far more investing introduction to the cast and one that truly sets up a lot more of what makes each character tick and why they would decide to be apart of this adventure. I do still think the story is gonna take a while to get invested into, but the characters are more invested.
May 21, 8:44 PM

Dec 2022
man it's just seeping with especially visual soul. pure fantasy bliss
Jun 17, 12:43 AM
Dec 2019
Eat your heart, Hiromu Arakawa. It looks like someone beat you to the weird "burn down your own house because I'm super deep or something" schtick by an entire decade before Fullmetal Alchemist dropped.
Jul 9, 10:48 PM
Jul 2024
This is a really good start, although I do dislike how the show begins in a flash forward, I wish it had just started at the beginning. I like all the characters so far though, and the show has a very comfortable and approachable feeling that I find good classic fantasy often has.
Oct 6, 9:36 AM

Jul 2021
I'm so mad how they just showed a totally random part of the story as first episode, only to actually start from episode 2...
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lodoss-tou Senki Episode 1 Discussion

Sick_Bastard - Oct 22, 2008

46 by cyandaqil »»
Sep 15, 7:51 PM

Poll: » Lodoss-tou Senki Episode 8 Discussion

tofei - Jun 4, 2011

25 by Seijatachiiii »»
Aug 30, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Lodoss-tou Senki Episode 3 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 22, 2010

28 by Seijatachiiii »»
Aug 25, 8:56 AM

Poll: » Lodoss-tou Senki Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GlennMagusHarvey - Aug 11, 2010

52 by AguyinaRPG »»
Aug 2, 9:05 PM

Poll: » Lodoss-tou Senki Episode 12 Discussion

Veethorn - Aug 29, 2010

17 by AguyinaRPG »»
Aug 2, 8:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.