Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2009 7:19 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh that was classic. Full on 'so bad its good' territory.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 21, 2009 11:01 PM

Apr 2009
I love the animation in this show, particularly the explosions, but the hair styles and music is so 80's it hurts :P I'm really glad I chose to watch it tho.
Nov 20, 2009 6:06 PM

Feb 2009
Bad? No, i though it was pretty good, thes series some times is rather confusing (I would even say sometimes it doesn't make sense) but its so freaking entertaining and the characters are so cool so who cares? I just wish we'd have a little more development on the Kinght Saber girls and not only the "introduces randdom character relavant to a main character and kill it off in the same episode for drama boost"

Oh and the end was exciting, the plot thickens!

Also I can't believe no one has sad it... GO GO POWER RANGERS!
Dec 30, 2010 2:53 PM
Oct 2008
I really hate this story arc. It's just so overly melodramatic and the new characters just don't add anything at all.
Jan 24, 2011 8:25 PM

May 2010
So bad it's good? Man, this was one of my favorite episodes! I'm one of the biggest haters of melodramatic crap in the world, but I thought this was extremely well done for 1 episode. I guess when I think about it afterwards, lots of it was pretty contrived, but I didn't even notice that while I was watching it.
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 12, 2011 7:34 PM
Jul 2018
I may be a bit biased, but I thought it was all good. There is just something about the series as a whole that attracts me to it, but I am not sure what that is exactly.
Jul 8, 2012 3:11 PM

Mar 2012
100% loved it and not in any ironic sense either - I didn't see anything 'bad' in it, the amount of art and soul put in to ever second was palpable...
Jan 7, 2013 3:55 AM

Mar 2010
I don't really know what to say, other than this is probably my new favorite anime.
Aug 14, 2013 7:34 AM
Aug 2007
IMO easily the best episode yet. Don't see what made you think this was bad at all. The line where Sylvie says she just wanted to be free was really touching. Showed the human side to the robots...

I feel like the episode that don't focus on genom/ussd/politics have so far been the best ones..
Oct 26, 2013 7:22 PM

Jun 2010
They say a few times that Sylvie is very beautiful, but she has pretty much the same character design as anyone else. Her chest looks bigger, but that's about it. I guess everyone is easily pleased.

Raitei said:
IMO easily the best episode yet. Don't see what made you think this was bad at all. The line where Sylvie says she just wanted to be free was really touching. Showed the human side to the robots...

Well, that kind of odd since they've been using the robots basically as brainless monsters until this point (no one cared about the little girl robot from episode 1, for instance)...and putting that aside, it was pretty trite.

Also, having the a character intended to be sympathetic murder about 10 random people isn't a great way to go about it. The whole "vampire" thing was super-goofy. Hinging the conclusion on the friendship between Priss and Sylvie that we barely get to see also isn't a great choice.

If this series is supposed to be ridiculous and tongue-in-cheek, I'm really not feeling it. It just seems genuinely awful to me.
Nov 9, 2013 12:38 PM
Jul 2018
idk wut happin but is fun 2 woch lolol

No, really though - it's inane at times, but holy crap it's always entertaining. Also: fuckin' loved Nene in this episode. So cute.
Feb 3, 2015 10:37 AM
Dec 2014
Fronzel said:

Well, that kind of odd since they've been using the robots basically as brainless monsters until this point (no one cared about the little girl robot from episode 1, for instance)...and putting that aside, it was pretty trite.

If you pay attention to the previous episodes, you'll notice the Boomers are more than just mindless automatons.
Feb 19, 2015 5:36 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Sylvie was a hottie that I would have liked to see more, so I'm miffed that she had to die so soon.

While storywise Bubblegum Crisis is nothing special, it's just got so much style and energy on offer that make it a great, great watch.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 20, 2015 2:02 PM

Jan 2014
This was great!
Raitei said:
The line where Sylvie says she just wanted to be free was really touching. Showed the human side to the robots...
Sexaroids :D
Apr 18, 2016 1:34 PM

Mar 2016
As with most of these episodes I enjoyed it quite a lot. The story was another homage to Bladerunner. I mean with the whole bit about some androids escaping to find themselves planet side, looking for a way to remain alive. Cool scenes.

I was seriously confused between Sylvie and Sylia for about 10 minutes before I realized they are different characters and I wasn't watching some weird flashback. Those names are so similar and their hair is barely different @_@ but I figured it out eventually.

The little bedroom vampire scene between Anri and Sylvie was enjoyable. Gotta love that retro 80's look right down to the undies!

Sylvie's encounter and chase with the boomer guys in black suits was awesome. Reminded me of the Matrix kind of. Fire some rounds and run like hell.

Had no idea the AD Police had power suits too. Detective Leon just suddenly appears in one and tries to take things on himself... yeah, good luck buddy. That DD was a beast! Go Knight Sabers GO!

Too bad the series got cut down to eight episodes instead of the planned 13.
I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!
May 6, 2017 1:48 PM

Jan 2014
Damn, I came here hoping someone would have been able to decipher the plot of this episode, as I too found it rather confusing and nonsensical. The intro was obviously some act to introduce us to a new character, but what about an explanation as to how she came to know Prim and wtf that vampire stuff came out of nowhere O_o. Such a weird and yet so satisfying episode.
I just love the 80's drawing style and shading!

Also, I thought Anri died on that other planet... apparently not.
Feb 2, 2019 5:18 PM

Jan 2015
The best one. It is a masterpiece.
Apr 15, 2019 6:35 PM

Sep 2013
Such undeniably classic 80s awesomeness!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Apr 26, 2020 12:42 PM
Dec 2019
I actually think the way they did the sympathetic vampire thing was better than Shiki did it, and Shiki centered its whole theme around it. Perhaps that's because androids are naturally more sympathetic than humans because we presuppose a higher level of innocence with them.

When the rain started, oh man, it was practically begging for the "tears in the rain" speech.
Mar 29, 2021 1:33 PM

Aug 2017
The initial deaths were kinda forced (just hurry up and get into the spaceship!!). And they killed off a Hayashibara character that fast -_-

Judging be the lines of Leon's partner, they seem to have a "more than just friends" relationship lol. Maybe in a one-sided way.

Motomu Kiyokawa played the doc in the morgue, huh

Was the "Armored Trooper" mentioned by Leon a reference to Votoms? The caricatures of his boss on the wall cracked me up, by the way.

The machine gun in this ep. had that Macross sound again! They're literally everywhere in old anime, huh. Especially (or only?) in mecha.

This episode certainly had the best premise, the image of lesbian robot vampires will stick with me forever I guess. Sad that we got a black screen for the ending credits though.

seriously confused between Sylvie and Sylia

We also have Fargo and Largo!

P.S. Sylvie is certainly not a "good" character given what she's done to people but it's pretty tragic that she was programmed to be like that. Just who came up with the idea of designing a vampire robot.
St0rmbladeMar 30, 2021 12:24 PM
Mar 30, 2021 10:21 AM

Dec 2015
3/5

St0rmblade said:
They killed off a Hayashibara character that fast -_-

Well, it was long before her big days.
Aug 12, 2021 9:19 PM

Sep 2020
This one was straight-up good. By now you should know that there comes a melodramatic aspect to the show with its episodic format since all the stories are that of the struggle for the different characters that appear.

On the other hand, heck yeah! Priss is a badass as always and does what needs to be done, but I like that on this one Leon gets a bigger role helping combat the Boomer. He could have died on duty (since the situation was hella serious), so am glad he's becoming a better AD cop as the series goes on.

If I should recommend anything to newcomers let it be to watch the subtitled version. Even though the dub has its moments, it's like years away from perfect, and at the same time, the bangers this show has are probably even better in the original japanese.
Feb 15, 2022 8:05 AM

Nov 2016
"Sounds like someone I'd want to meet"

36:54: This didn't age well xD

This episode flew by. Just too bad that we didn't get a full yuri scene.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 10, 2022 2:58 PM

Oct 2021
Oh my Sylvie was a very hot robot girl, for a brief moment I thought she was going to join the Knight Sabers (I wouldn't mind a single bit lol).

Glad we finally saw Leon getting into action, he showed some bravery there. Nene is really growing on me he is so cute and her hair color is cool.
Dec 20, 2023 4:29 AM

Feb 2010
The ending looks very strange, because we are told that the tank goes on automatic when the pilot is incapacitaed, but then we are told that in order to stop it the pilot must die. I don't understand the logic of first - auto pilot activating when the pilot is down to continue to fight as long as it can, and then self-destruct, - and then of stopping when the pilot is dead. It should be turning off the auto pilot and self-destruct when the pilot is in control again, not the other way around.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
May 31, 1:40 AM
Dec 2019
They said the word sex and we saw a lady's bare shoulder, where's that guy who spent all his posts crying about the sexiness of this show now?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jan 27, 2009

51 by Bubbleyumcrisis »»
Oct 9, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 3 Discussion

Beatnik - Jan 26, 2009

33 by satyrelfheim »»
Aug 15, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 2 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 26, 2009

20 by satyrelfheim »»
Jul 12, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 1 Discussion

Beatnik - Jan 25, 2009

42 by satyrelfheim »»
Jul 7, 9:44 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 6 Discussion

Veethorn - Nov 21, 2009

22 by LotteGiants »»
May 31, 7:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.