Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 1, 2015 6:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, shit got real this episode in the beginning there.. Loved the rivalry especially since Maria feels somewhat inferior to..Viv. There's a bit of ideology clash and not to mention, she makes fun of Maria because of her virigin status.

I'm not sure how well Maria's future will fare but I think she's on the right track if she can keep it up. She needs to keep her emotions in check though.
Stark700Feb 1, 2015 6:55 AM
Feb 1, 2015 7:29 AM

Aug 2010
Ezekiel so pure Or is she?<3 She can be annoying sometimes but she's quite cute most of the time esp at the end :3
Poor Priapus he was just gonna get laid by Viv lol

I just feel bad for Maria. The world she lives in is quite close minded <_<
She's way different from the other witches. I don't even really see her as a witch :/
She's just trying to save anyone she can...

Dat Loli Maria doe :3
Barion-ZaraFeb 1, 2015 9:04 AM
Feb 1, 2015 7:33 AM

Jul 2010
Another person appears to push Maria to lose her virginity! Viv is really direct, the two surprisingly get along well.

It was nice to see a glimpse of Maria's childhood days. The grandma sort of being like a grandma for Maria. Maria still wanting to bring peace upon all lands despite the treatment she gets from many others.

Really enjoying how the good and bad are all tangled up together. The village where she stopped the plague and also stopping wars to seeing a wiped out village and mercenaries having to pillage. Makes me wonder what sort of people would help and support Maria as with her current group, she can only do so much.
Feb 1, 2015 7:47 AM

Dec 2013
Kind of slow episode. Viv seems pretty cool.

Really want to see more Maria flashback.
Feb 1, 2015 7:53 AM

Oct 2014
I wonder if Maria is still aware that losing her virginity is also losing her powers?
Feb 1, 2015 9:36 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I think that Ezekial is a virgin too....She didn't annoy me this episode and I think that I'm gonna end up liking her a lot

Poor Priapus still hasn't got his penis yet and almost got laid by Viv whom is hot herself and very lewd xD

We got more characterization for Maria this week and seeing how she grew up was sad. All she wants to do is help everyone TwT
Feb 1, 2015 10:15 AM

Dec 2014
Poor Priapus though, that was humiliating. I feel sorry for him.
Kid Maria was so cute still, it's pretty sad how they treated her.
And Ezekiel was cute too, I really like her design.
Can I ship her and Priapus?
Feb 1, 2015 10:27 AM
Oct 2012
Tokoya said:
I think that Ezekial is a virgin too....She didn't annoy me this episode and I think that I'm gonna end up liking her a lot

Angels are supposed to be sexless. But that shouldn't stop the animation (or for that matter the doujinshi) on this!

Nice episode. Accepting death instead of engaging in sin is something completely incomprehensible to modern man, however what is transitory pain compared to eternal salvation? That is how people in the middle ages believed, so that is how they would have acted. Death was a constant present to these people, not the occasional visitor it has become today. As such both the need in believing in an afterlife, and the importance of not putting too much store in one's daily existence were blunt necessities.
Feb 1, 2015 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
Ezekiel is so pure, but she can be annoying sometimes.

Kid Maria was cute, I felt bad for her for how the villagers treated her.
Feb 1, 2015 12:20 PM
Nov 2014
Any viewers here who is Christian, especially Catholic? Does this show offend you?
Feb 1, 2015 12:30 PM

Apr 2013
another great episode.
Feb 1, 2015 1:11 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Maria better give Priapus the proper equipment soon. Hell hath no fury like a horny teenage succubus without a member constantly being denied one.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 1, 2015 2:26 PM

Feb 2013
I Really enjoy this anime,

Maria just wanna help people for the sake of helping, yet the heavens just ignore peoples prayers Just "Because" Maria is the real angel :D
Feb 1, 2015 2:40 PM

Feb 2013
cheesewithwhine said:
Any viewers here who is Christian, especially Catholic? Does this show offend you?

I'm non-denominational Christian, and I don't have any real issues with the show. In fact, I find it to be a pretty compelling analysis and criticism of Christian beliefs.

Wasn't as fond as this episode as the last one we saw, but it wasn't bad or anything. I like Viv, she's a welcome addition to the cast. Her scene with Priapus was great. The mention of Joseph being a virgin as well was an interesting one. Also, just realised Joseph and Mary are the names of Jesus's parents. Stupid me for not catching that sooner.

Episode ended without really resolving a whole lot, or moving the plot forward too much. I hope more happens next week.
Feb 1, 2015 3:54 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Shaniyaz said:

Looks like Ezekiel's strict mindset about Maria has changed a bit after hearing Ann's grandma's story, even to the point where she speculated that will Maria become a God if everyone so desires. I think that might be foreshadowing to something. O.o

I'm glad Ezekiel is coming around. She seemed like she would be annoying but I just found her pretty funny from when she was introduced. But at least she's understanding Maria more, and why Martha, despite being a devout follower, likes a witch like Maria. I was surprised to hear what Ezekiel said about becoming a God too...like woah. It's a possibility?
Feb 1, 2015 3:59 PM

Nov 2011
Comedy in this show delivers.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Feb 1, 2015 4:50 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Takuan_Soho said:
Accepting death instead of engaging in sin is something completely incomprehensible to modern man, however what is transitory pain compared to eternal salvation? That is how people in the middle ages believed, so that is how they would have acted. Death was a constant present to these people, not the occasional visitor it has become today. As such both the need in believing in an afterlife, and the importance of not putting too much store in one's daily existence were blunt necessities.

Yes, this pretty much sums up the worldview back in that time. People sought salvation after death as it was more commonplace than the modern developed world. Life is cheap back then.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 1, 2015 6:49 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode pretty much.
I like how it deals with the religious stuff.
Feb 1, 2015 6:53 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
One day Priapus, the ladies will get your D.
One day..
Feb 1, 2015 8:51 PM

Oct 2013
Another great episode of what I'm ever-more confident that's a hidden-gem of this season.

Joseph looking up to or befriending Galfa might make for an interesting situations where his love for Maria is concerned, considering that given the chance, Galfa might not be against getting rid of her seeing that she's interfering with his & his fellow mercenaries' work. I think it's safe to say that the most mercenaries would willingly be out for her head if the order was given. Lucky for Maria that they'd probably either fear her power to do so. Still, she might have to be on her toes soon - powerful witch or not, a well-aimed hit from a blade, bolt or arrow will kill her just like anyone else. Burning down her home and her village(perhaps even taking them as hostages) is also not out-of-the-question.

At least the witches don't seem to be TOO angry with her, not like the mercs anyway. That was the impression I got from Viv anyway who was more friendly & outgoing than I though and the fact that a witch guild does exist and Maria even got an invitation to it means that she can expect more leeway from other witches, even though they apparently make a living of wars just as mercenaries do. Of course, that might not be the case for long if she keeps interfering.

Next week can't come sooner, these episodes feel like they fly-by way too fast!
Feb 1, 2015 9:09 PM

Jun 2014
NessieFynn said:
cheesewithwhine said:

I'm non-denominational Christian, and I don't have any real issues with the show. In fact, I find it to be a pretty compelling analysis and criticism of Christian beliefs.

Its really interesting how it doesn't seem to choose sides. Both the church AND Maria are presented as being squarely in the wrong, but each having their own merits to what they believe is right.

We also get to see why Maria only answers requests, the last time she tried to help she was pelted with stones by dying villagers.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Feb 1, 2015 10:26 PM
Nov 2013
Viv is a keeper for sure. I felt bad for Priapus, Maria keeps lagging on giving him a penis lol.

Kid Maria was really adorable, it's pretty sad how the villagers treated her even though she was only helping. The church is planning war? I wonder why.. I like how the show is keeping us in the dark at the moment, cause I feel like something really big will happen soon.
Feb 1, 2015 11:10 PM

Jul 2013
The familiars and Ezekiel continue to steal the show! Mamiko Noto sounds so sexy as Viv. It was really hilarious when she was teasing Maria and the misunderstanding that Ezekiel might not be a virgin XD

cheesewithwhine said:

I don't see how this is offensive. It's not like it's trying to deliberately insult Christianity and it is yet to misinterpret it too. If anything this might make some christians to think more critically about the same fundamental questions that's confusing Maria right now.

I actually laughed when Viv joked that maybe next time Gabriel would put a baby inside Maria. It's one of those times that the phrase "I'm going to hell for laughing at this" might be true.
Feb 2, 2015 2:14 AM

Mar 2013
When will Priapus be complete ?
I like Viv We need doujins with her and Artemis
Maria's youth was really hard
TanmaFeb 2, 2015 2:18 AM
Feb 2, 2015 2:33 AM
Nov 2014
Viv said "Men hates virgin women".
But....Who agree with this...?
Feb 2, 2015 11:30 AM

Aug 2014
I feel bad for Maria. She's still has fault for couldn't save the people of that village from the pest. :(
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Feb 2, 2015 1:22 PM

Oct 2013
Koh01 said:
Viv said "Men hates virgin women".
But....Who agree with this...?

What Viv meant was that men hated having sex with virgin women, not hated them as a whole. For most soldiers & mercenaries in particular but also many others who just wanted to have some intimate fun with a lady without having a romantic relationship, carefully deflowering a shy virgin was probably boring.

Of course, there are always exceptions.
Feb 2, 2015 1:34 PM

Jan 2013
I wonder when Priapus' issue gets solved XD

Feb 2, 2015 9:35 PM

Dec 2013
Seems like Ezekiel has changed her strict views about Maria after hearing Ann's grandma's story. Viv is a nice addition to the cast.

I loved the ideology clash, episode felt like 5 mins long.

5/5

Still need them Ezekiel doujins.
PriestSlayerFeb 2, 2015 9:45 PM
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Feb 3, 2015 6:08 AM
Nov 2013
Damn, the Church in this anime is extremely complacent for its own good. If it was me those idiotic heretics would be on the stick already; burning. This depiction of Ezequiel hurts my eyes. She (or he) is the best Michael can do? Pff, Michael show us some real thing...
blankflatFeb 3, 2015 6:53 AM
Feb 3, 2015 9:45 AM

Jun 2010
Religious extremism, yup sound about right for the early catholic church.

After the spoiler Ezekiel gave us I'm almost sure Maria is going to become a saint at the end.

at the end she'll be near death, but before she dies she'll start accumulating "Love" from all the people she helped out and turn into a human "spirit bomb" and bam Saint Maria was born.

Hope she gets broken like the saints in the Toaru series. that would be mad dope.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Feb 3, 2015 7:33 PM

Dec 2010
I really don't think this show gets the credit it deserves- Many interesting themes explored in this episode.
I'm in a band! Check it here-
https://fanlink.to/tropicvibez
Feb 3, 2015 7:47 PM
Oct 2012
Rebelhero said:
Its really interesting how it doesn't seem to choose sides. Both the church AND Maria are presented as being squarely in the wrong, but each having their own merits to what they believe is right.

I wouldn't say either side "is wrong", but the writer has done a good job at showing how truth isn't that easy and that the step from "right" to "wrong" is very, very small.

I hope the author will address it, but that one brother has the potential of being a very interesting character. After Maria rejected his offer, he reminded his assistant that collecting honey requires patience.

This is true, if your goal is one's eternal soul, then a truly righteous person would wait until waiting is no longer an option in the hope of saving that one soul (but not to risk innocent souls). Maria on the other side shows the righteousness of "not waiting" and saving everyone now instead of their soul (but the "ends" justify the means is a conflict to both arguments).

I am not expecting much, after all it isn't incumbent upon the Japanese to understand a foreign religion, however I have hopes that this show will be something more than mere "religion is hypocrisy" cliche. Having both the Brother and Maria being right would make this a compelling series.
Feb 4, 2015 12:17 AM
Aug 2011
fucking hell I all I kept hearing was Kagami and Kuroko
Feb 4, 2015 3:59 PM

Jul 2014
Taken from the ANN review of this episode:
Meanwhile, Father Bernard is doing his “disinterested and self-serving emblem of religious institution” thing by turning the death of someone the Church failed to aid in life into a PR move. The dude's a schemer, but I'm curious as to where exactly he falls on a scale of corrupt anime priests (a metric that ranges from “misguided” to “Kotomine Kirei”).

I laughed at the Kirei reference more than I feel comfortable admitting.
Feb 5, 2015 9:07 AM

Nov 2011
Episode I might call simply, like a little slice of daily life without being pretentious, but even so he did not make it about. Fun storytelling, but also rich in reflective moments; in short, enjoyable without being pretentious. Cute the drawings and increasingly sympathetic characters. Nice also time scenarios, not bad always have new mythological animals in the story, it seems almost a roundup for educational purposes.

Eventually the underlying message was: The people decide with their free will to leave help or not.
Feb 5, 2015 2:11 PM
Feb 2014
This ep got back my faith in the series
Feb 6, 2015 5:25 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode! Viv is such an awesome character XD Interesting discussion with Maria as well with her pushing her morals, then she had a quest to help Maria get rid of her virginity ... too bad Priapus (despite his name) is the wrong person to choose XD Poor guy though, he still hasn't been "finished" ... :P
The Black Plague eh ... that explains the ravaged village :S A bit more of Bernard and Gilbert too. Looking forward to next episode~
Also liking the ED card changes (I know I said this already though XD)
Feb 7, 2015 3:20 AM

Jul 2008
Excellent episode, and Bernard is a pain in the a*** who will definitely stir up some trouble for Maria >:(
Feb 7, 2015 6:02 AM

Feb 2014
Episode 4 was the weakest episode in my opinion, the animation quality decreased a lot. The first half wasn't really good...

But glad to see that Taniguchi Goro play the Bernard's part in the story very well, its not like he's a forgotten character. I'm waiting for the story diverse from the original story of manga.
Feb 7, 2015 12:26 PM

Aug 2007
Well, with this episode I have some opinions and theory with Ezequiel:

Now that she is living with Maria and her servants maybe she will change her mind because she will have another prespective of how humans live, act and make decisions.

Maybe she will have a fight with Mikael. Or maybe not.
Feb 7, 2015 4:19 PM

Feb 2013
cheesewithwhine said:
Not really. This anime isn't something to take too seriously.

So anyways... seems I was right.. this is now the quest for Maria's virginity.
Feb 9, 2015 1:45 AM

Oct 2008
AangMoreiira said:
I feel bad for Maria. She's still has fault for couldn't save the people of that village from the pest. :(

yes, something like naive Shiro from FS/N "you cannot save everyone".

Feb 15, 2015 11:31 AM

Jul 2009
It's kind a bother that they just talk about sex with her, I am more interested in her flashbacks...
Feb 16, 2015 11:21 PM

Jun 2011
I really don't like the repetitive virgin joke/talk, it was fine at first but now it's all in your face. I also hate how the romance is developing.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 3, 2015 11:51 PM

Jul 2009
Damn after a month of delay i'm finally back on this :)

NIce to see Viv talking some more! Can't believed she's voiced by Mamiko Noto, especially the way she talks about virginity and all XD

Then again she does plays some Queen's Blades characters so yeah :P

Ezekiel can really be noisy as hell! This is probably one of Kana Hanazawa's talkative roles XD

Nice to see Maria's past as a child and how she helped Martha and Anne despite her being stoned by other villagers.

Shame about the concept of life back then. Even without help they still believe their "lord" will save them.

Definitely looks foolish in today's time.

Gonna catch up soon. Can't wait for the next episodes!
May 6, 2015 2:41 PM

May 2012
Great and also quite fun development! Let's see what happens next.
Apr 5, 2016 5:47 AM

Oct 2010
cheesewithwhine said:

I was born in a Christian family, my father is a priest, and lived a majority of my life doing activities in the church before I even recognize my own existence.

And no, this show don't really offend me. In fact I'm glad it's asking relevant questions about spirituality and the church itself. More often anime just treats monotheistic religions as an eccentric foreign cultural import, which is then sanded down to the level anime stereotypes can cope with, or in a deeper level, to a certain view that is acceptable in the vagueness-loving Japanese societal norms that derived heavily from Shintoism and Buddhism.

Well basically this anime is more serious than it initially seemed. I do like it for that though. So far.
Sep 6, 2016 11:11 PM

Sep 2013
Poor Priapus needs his dang wiener!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 16, 2017 5:57 PM

Jan 2014
Kid Maria was cute, it's sad how they treated her..
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2015

194 by gswelcome »»
Sep 6, 3:50 PM

» Adoption

sandwich-boy - Oct 18, 2023

2 by Animaticide »»
Oct 18, 2023 11:16 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2015

79 by EmperorThor »»
Jul 24, 2023 6:42 AM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

87 by Sarakitteh »»
May 25, 2023 9:18 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

93 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 13, 2022 10:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.