Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 26, 2007 7:08 PM

May 2007
Akira was my favorite of the Great Water Fairies before and she is even more so now. Aika getting emotional for Akira was touching. I love the names they were giving each other as well. Alice and Aika exchanging the use of the word "dekkai" was amusing. And let's finish it off with Aika having a....

Akari moment? Hmm... the future looks so bright. I want to see more. I want to see Ai, too.
May 26, 2007 7:14 PM

Jan 2007
Personally Athena is my favorite between the Great Water Fairies. But yeah, Aika getting emotional for Akira was indeed touching. I love the interaction between those two. Just 2 more episodes to go and then the OVA's. I'm very excited.
May 27, 2007 1:09 PM

May 2007
Faust721 said:
Personally Athena is my favorite between the Great Water Fairies. But yeah, Aika getting emotional for Akira was indeed touching. I love the interaction between those two. Just 2 more episodes to go and then the OVA's. I'm very excited.

ME TOO!
May 28, 2008 10:04 AM

May 2008
The names were great. But the filosophy by Akira was even better.

"Krijg toch allemaal de klere. Val van mijn part allemaal dood."
Jun 19, 2008 4:46 AM

Jan 2008
A touching episode~
Awww, Akia is a crybaby :3
Oct 4, 2008 5:57 PM
Aug 2008
I don't get the final epiphany.

"The glove doesn't just protect the hand."

What?

The glove protects your feelings?

The glove protects the oar?

The glove stops the rain?

What the heck?
Nov 11, 2008 12:58 AM

Jan 2008
This episode was touching~
Aika crying for Akira was really sweet and I'm glad we're getting more Aika/Akira interaction :)

formosan said:
That's what I thought~ ^_^;;

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-
Nov 16, 2008 12:35 AM

Mar 2008
jazmin_s said:
This episode was touching~
Aika crying for Akira was really sweet and I'm glad we're getting more Aika/Akira interaction :)

formosan said:
That's what I thought~ ^_^;;

yea, that part makes the ep
Mar 26, 2009 5:22 PM

Aug 2008
I was thinking about the other purpose of the gloves. However, it looks like someone already answered it here for me.

Another heart warming episode as always. This show never fails to deliver it.

Two more episodes left for me. I will finish them this weekend.

Jun 7, 2009 11:43 PM

Apr 2008
hahas~ funny names they give each other ...
touching episode too =D

Jul 6, 2009 8:48 AM

Feb 2008
I personally thought the glove meant protecting the company's legacy.
/shrug

Great episode. Love Akira so much <3
Aug 22, 2009 1:59 AM

Jan 2009
Nice ep, interesting to Aika getting really emotional about such a small problem. But I guess in Aria, much problems are overblown.

Jan 2, 2010 5:00 PM

May 2009
This episode was great and almost had me in tears. It was sweet when Aika was crying for Akira. (:
Mar 9, 2010 4:27 AM

Oct 2008
I think Athena is the best out of the 3 water fairies.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Mar 9, 2010 5:35 PM

Aug 2009
They need to be stronger and in order to achieve that, they must train even more and more to reach the top spot which is to become a number one prima in Aria. It sounded like a shounen Anime back there, lol.

Few things I loved in this episode were:
1. Akira. I thought she was GAR in this episode. I also thougt she was going to rape the others that badmouthed her but no, she took it like a mature person. Very nice.
2. The moniker moment. It was so hilarious when the 3 girls started to give each other silly monikers, lmfao. Momiko for Akari, Gachapen for Aika, and Dekai for Alice, rofl.
3. In the end where Akari, Alice, and Aika raised their gloves in the air, we got a preview of what might happen in the future. A glimpse of them riding the white boat!

I can't wait till they become prima. It would be exciting to see them become one since in the beginning, what they aim was to become a prima all along.
Apr 19, 2010 8:04 PM

Sep 2009
I shed a tear when Aika was crying for Akira. All around a very touching episode.

However, I don't quite get the revelation about the gloves either. o3o;
Apr 21, 2010 7:44 AM

Apr 2009
I think I get it.

Since Akari, Aika, and Alice are all wearing gloves, they obviously aren't up to Akira's level yet.
Akira stated that she can't take the happy or bad things in life for granted.. so she must take them seriously.
She must do that because she's a Prima Undine (gloveless).

So my guess is the gloves are not only protecting your hands, but also you as you enter Prima status.
Whatever inexperience you have and changes you go through are expected because of your current rank as a trainee.
When the time arrives when both hands are gloveless, not only does it mean you've reached Prima status, but also you've become a stronger and better individual.

"That's why we have to become much... much, much stronger."

I hope that this is a good simplified explanation. :]
May 1, 2010 3:08 PM

Jan 2010
the "water fairies" complete each other :-),i don't have a favorite,but all 3 are awesome :),but not perfect...

same thing goes for Aika,Alice and Akari :)

5/5 for another great episode :),and i'm currently oscilating between 9 and 10 :),i don't know if i can get past the rip gondola episodes,those were awful :\
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
May 4, 2010 3:56 AM

Jun 2009
Very good episode ^_^

Side note, I love the comedy in this episode ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 8, 2010 12:05 PM

Aug 2008
Akira is a wise lady. I love the little story she told the girls.
I just wish there had been more screentime for her.

Love the vision at the end of them being Primas. ♥
Dec 5, 2010 9:57 AM
Jul 2018
aika's grown on me alot this season.
Dec 11, 2010 8:50 PM

Nov 2007
This episode was so good. Every episode passes and Akira-san and Aika become more and more lovable to me. Aika crying for Akira-san was so touching.

I always knew that having gloves is meant to show they are still not there yet. Didn't they show it in ANIMATION when Alicia-san took a glove off from Akari? Well anyways.

This was by far probably the best episode so far. I dunno, whatever I see in ARIA seems so good to me. :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 13, 2010 11:13 AM

May 2010
Unlike you guys, I've always loved Aika's hair, I mean Aika as a person...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 8, 2011 2:07 AM

Feb 2011
wonderful episode again.

alicia may be the youngest to become a prima
and grandma may be the oldest to retire
but i believe akari is the most awesomest soon to be prima among undines : P
Feb 4, 2012 1:19 PM
Sep 2009
I was truthfully surprised to see Aika crying for Akira like that. Like I know that she cares for Akira even though she always denies it, but I didn't know that she cared that much.
Feb 18, 2012 3:44 PM

Oct 2009
Good episode, 4/5. I've didn't get Akira's quote about the screws (or nails), and about when Aika raised her hand and sayed, that she knows what else gloves are needed.

Akira is one of my favorite characters from this show(a lot of them are my favorites, though, but she's the very-very one).

darkerealm said:
Akira is a wise lady. I love the little story she told the girls.
I just wish there had been more screentime for her.

kitten320 said:
I was truthfully surprised to see Aika crying for Akira like that. Like I know that she cares for Akira even though she always denies it, but I didn't know that she cared that much.

She's a tsun-tsun-tsundere!

Love the vision at the end of them being Primas. ♥

Totally.
あらあら。。。
Sep 8, 2012 6:02 AM

Sep 2012
Nice episode. Akira is totally my favorite great fairy.
Nov 26, 2012 10:32 PM

Mar 2009
Touching episode. I feel bad for Aika, though. She always seems to suffer so much. =(
Jan 6, 2013 1:10 AM

May 2012
Okey episode not one of my favorites though... lacked some proper atmosphere!
Feb 23, 2013 7:14 PM

Aug 2008
jpem said:
aika's grown on me alot this season.
Same here.

I absolutely adored the Akira/Aika moments. Akira is and will always be my faviefave. She's just awesome.

Lovely episode again.
Jul 2, 2013 12:00 AM

Apr 2010
Sherr said:
I think I get it.

Since Akari, Aika, and Alice are all wearing gloves, they obviously aren't up to Akira's level yet.
Akira stated that she can't take the happy or bad things in life for granted.. so she must take them seriously.
She must do that because she's a Prima Undine (gloveless).

So my guess is the gloves are not only protecting your hands, but also you as you enter Prima status.
Whatever inexperience you have and changes you go through are expected because of your current rank as a trainee.
When the time arrives when both hands are gloveless, not only does it mean you've reached Prima status, but also you've become a stronger and better individual.

"That's why we have to become much... much, much stronger."

I hope that this is a good simplified explanation. :]

the most logical interpretation so far. it shields them from harm, literally and metaphorically
Aug 7, 2013 1:09 AM

Aug 2010
Absolutely beautiful and lovely episode, I especially liked how Akira made them realize that becoming a prima is not just being a good undine, but being a strong person who can face challenges and painful times.

We even got a glimpse of them as primas, too bad it was so short. That teasing...

And then Akari became a prima undine, also known as, SIDEBURNS. God that cracked me up, nice one Aika-chan. 5/5.
Aug 23, 2013 10:00 PM
Jan 2013
formosan said:
I don't get the final epiphany.

"The glove doesn't just protect the hand."

What?

It protects not just her hand but her whole body/person... in that others won't be jealous of her before she's a prima. There's no pressure from people who haven't made it or couldn't measure up while she's an apprentice, because the glove signifies that she's not on a different level from the other apprentices... even if she is, like Alice, who is closer in skill to the singles she practices with.
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Sep 5, 2013 5:12 PM
Aug 2011
Something that is seriously irrelevant caught my eyes. In the end, they both held Alice's hands with their gloved hands but after that, in the last scene, they were holding Alice's hands with their other hands.
Sep 7, 2013 11:11 AM

Dec 2012
Such a wonderful episode. Despite how often they clash, Aika really cares about and looks up to Akira. Akira is very mature and wise, the fairy titles are definitely not for show. That ending scene was very heartwarming as well, I hope they all become Primas someday!
Sep 13, 2013 9:54 PM

Jun 2013
Loved Akira's story about the wedding and how she pointed out how we always make ourselves miserable by focusing on the bad over the good.

"People get used to the things that make them happy, and take them for granted. But if one upsetting thing happens, it weighs down heavily on you. Maybe people make their own upsetting situations worse, all by themselves".

How I can relate D:
Mar 29, 2014 7:13 AM

Aug 2013
*all three girls were dreamy*
Akari: What kind of moniker would suit me?
Aika: Momiko.
Alice: Dekkai Momiko.

Aika: What kind would suit me?
Alice: Gachapen.

Akari: How about Alice-chan?
Aika: Dekkai Kinshi.
Alice: Dekkai kyakka.

LMAO! I love those three girls so much. Probably the funniest exchange in Aria.
xcheeMar 29, 2014 7:20 AM
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 11, 2014 9:12 AM
Apr 2014
The reactions toward silly nicknames are pretty hilarious.

Aika being sentimental about Akira kind of gets me. Akira's speech on it is great too; she can be quite philosophical at times.
May 5, 2014 9:44 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Those girls gossiping on Akira just because they aren't on her level. Practice makes perfect and the more a person practices a certain thing the better they get at it.

Aika may dislike Akira's harsh personality but she cherishes' her still because she's also caring and loving. She's a serious person after all and she doesn't take things for granted.

Lol at Aika/Alice/Akari choosing alias names.

Oct 11, 2014 3:36 PM

Dec 2013

Awesome episode.

mild_even said:
Akira was my favorite of the Great Water Fairies before and she is even more so now. Aika getting emotional for Akira was touching.
Oct 24, 2014 1:12 AM

Jul 2008
So its not all sunshine and lollipops in the perfect Aqua world.

Couldn't help but laugh out loud at the nickname debate.
Dec 23, 2014 7:20 AM

Feb 2014
Aika crying for Akira instead of getting angry at those bitches is so like her, being the crybaby she is. And for a moment I thought I skipped 2 episodes because that ending made this look like a finale.
Jan 9, 2015 10:23 AM

May 2010
Alice's moniker was the best: "Really not allowed."

The way Aika kept mentioning how everyone has started to notice her, it was bound to happen. But I liked how she took Akira's side while being jealous at the same time.

"People themselves make the bad things many times more painful." <<< so much truth. Loved her smile.
Jan 29, 2015 11:54 PM

Oct 2008
masterpiece of an episode
May 6, 2015 4:19 AM

Nov 2013
BASED AKIRA
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Nov 7, 2015 4:03 AM

Aug 2015
LMAO Aika really is "The Wonderful Crybaby" in this ep.
Gotta love the way the main trio gave monikers to each other.
Nov 10, 2015 3:03 AM
Nov 2014
Two excellent episodes in a row, speechless.
Jan 24, 2016 1:27 PM

Jan 2013
What a wonderful point that I often forget in my own life. One thing goes wrong and I begin to think everything is wrong. Thinking about all the good in life that came before hardship is just as important. Both will always be there but how you perceive it is what is most important.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Sep 18, 2016 7:59 PM

May 2016
Godot325 said:
Loved Akira's story about the wedding and how she pointed out how we always make ourselves miserable by focusing on the bad over the good.

"People get used to the things that make them happy, and take them for granted. But if one upsetting thing happens, it weighs down heavily on you. Maybe people make their own upsetting situations worse, all by themselves".

How I can relate D:

Oh damn. That's what she meant. I've never really thought of it that way. Usually I'm swayed by my emotions currently at the time, I should not take for granted all of the good things and bad things that happen.

I've got to think of all the good things that happened before something bad happens and not focus so harshly on the negative. I tend to do that.
Jan 6, 2017 3:09 PM

Feb 2013
Another good episode.
I really hate those girls for bad mouthing Akira.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jun 18, 2008

53 by Marietta »»
Sep 27, 3:51 AM

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jun 7, 2008

63 by VampireLord1024 »»
Sep 16, 1:26 AM

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Feb 23, 2008

56 by eblf2013 »»
Jul 19, 5:28 PM

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Feb 25, 2008

62 by Cabbage_Cat »»
Jul 8, 2:53 AM

Poll: » Aria the Natural Episode 4 Discussion

aero - May 27, 2008

49 by nirererin »»
Jul 5, 1:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.