Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 16, 2008 11:00 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I watched this ova as a recommendation to catching up quickly on the macross series without watching every episode. Seemed decent to me but the premise of bringing together three warring races with an ancient pop song seemed a little corny to me.
May 17, 2008 7:37 PM
May 2008
While this can be watched to "catch up" with the story so far as of the end of the original Macross TV series it is not quite the same story. Macross - DYRL was written as a movie within the Macross universe. It was releases to the residents of Mactoss city, Earth in 2024, 10 years after the 1st despora to the stars, to remind the people of where it all started. It is "hollywood-ized" to make it more interesting. In the original series the Zentradi and Meltrandi were all one race, the genders being different divisions in the army. Not seperate peoples. In the original series Minmay's song caused confusion in the zentradi not revolution. It's something to be said though that the "non-canon" storyline built in DYRL became canon for all future series though, as reflected in Macross 7, Macross Plus and Macross II. I would suggest watching the original series as well as DYRL as they are different in some ways and both are magnificent in and of themselves.
May 22, 2008 11:40 PM

Oct 2007
Pretty cool movie to get ready for the series.

Jun 22, 2008 5:09 PM

Jun 2008
Officially, the main Macross canon according to Kawamori Shoji is:

Zero
Original TV series
Flashback 2012's original sequences
Plus
7, its movie and OVAs
Frontier

Thrown out of continuity entirely was Macross II, which has little to do with the original creators. As Cpt_Gloval mentions, DYRL is included as a metafictional movie within the Macross universe. The film itself is referenced in the Macross 7 episode "Minmay Video" where a new film based on the events of Space War I is produced aboard Macross 7.

Where things get a bit confusing is that some of the design changes from DYRL were retconned into canon as of Macross 7. Some of the stranger Zentradi physiology, especially Exedol's pulsing brain and weird "hands" being the most obvious example. The DYRL version of the UN Spacy flight suits also seemed to be retconned in.
Oct 18, 2008 1:51 PM
Dec 2007
Trojun said:
I watched this ova

This movie, as its name implies, is a full-length movie released on Japanese theaters at the time ;) You can easily see it's not an OVA by the perfect graphics and animation for the time, and the indecent budget that has been put on it. For me (and a lot of fans) it's by far the best Macross ever released and the absolute masterpiece of the saga. Though I love Macross Plus and the first Macross series from which "Do You Remember Love" is taken. The rest of the series/movies, including Frontier, is pretty average...

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 19, 2008 3:25 AM

May 2008
Trojun said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I watched this ova as a recommendation to catching up quickly on the macross series without watching every episode. Seemed decent to me but the premise of bringing together three warring races with an ancient pop song seemed a little corny to me.

It was more of an Alternative Ending, but yes, some of the stuff did happen during the macross saga. I thought it was pretty cool, and quite ironic.
Mar 20, 2009 4:00 PM

Jun 2008
A damn good movie. Animation was fantastic for it's time, and still is.
Jun 25, 2009 9:14 PM

Jan 2008
Orkel said:
A damn good movie. Animation was fantastic for it's time, and still is.

Agreed. Actually, with perspective and context in a comparison, the animation is probably some of the best anime has to offer, the art as well. Even movies these days can't manage to look at good as this did 25 years ago.
Aug 21, 2009 11:33 PM
Sep 2007
One of most beautiful anime movies I've ever watched.

OST, animation, story...
Perfect.

Lynn Minmay >>>>>>>>> all anime female characters
Aug 22, 2009 4:34 AM

Apr 2008
Loved it of course. I have watched it some15 years ago and it had left a huge impression on me and it was also my first contact with the Macross world. It remained one of my favourite movies ever.
Sep 2, 2009 3:20 PM

May 2008
Decided to re-watch this tonight since it has been a while since I originally saw it. Absolutely amazing film in terms of directing, art, and action (so much delicious Itano Circus). Really well animated too considering how detailed the art is. Plus it doesn't derail Minmay's character like the TV series did while still making Hikaru and Misa seem like the logical couple choice. Second only to Encounters in Space in terms of great mecha films and easily the best thing the Macross franchise has ever produced.
Absolutely_SteveSep 2, 2009 3:24 PM
Oct 8, 2009 7:52 PM

Feb 2009
The movie was OK, what I didn't like was that it was just a retelling of the original story, a very rushed and boring one... the character's personalities changed too much and most didn't get any development, I didn't feel any emotion in this film, doesn't do the series justice. What was very good was the animation considering its age.
Oct 11, 2009 11:47 AM

Jan 2008
Well I thought the TV show had a better story obviously, the flaw with this movie is the pace as usual, however Hikaru's relationship with both women importantly isnt rushed and we get plenty of time to buy his romance with both of them, so that was nice.

The attention to detail was STUNNING, what an amazing production. I loved the montages. Definitely worth a watch for fans of the franchise, but as is the problem with these kinds of movies, it's not as accessible to casual viewers, unless they're open minded anyway.

Minmay definitely gets the best treatment, she felt much more tragic and less teen idol-ish this time round, and also hot.

Or maybe Kaifun got the best treatment, trying to fool us into thinking he's not the biggest scumbag in the universe. WE WILL NEVER FORGET KAIFUN, WE KNOW WHAT YOU'RE REALLY LIKE.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Nov 1, 2009 7:26 AM

Feb 2009
Story was definitely not as strong as the original series, as it only has two hours to cover what was told in 30+ episodes of the TV series.

But the animation for this film is AMAZING. Some of the best I've ever seen, impressive that this is 25 years old. My favorites are any of the dogfight scenes featuring either Max or Miriya.

I would give my left nut to watch this on Blu-Ray.

Dec 7, 2009 12:05 PM

Apr 2009
Beautiful... this is what Macross could have been, what it should have been, this movie was just beautiful.
It had all the things I liked from Macross and none of the things I hated, no stupid fillers, no overblown silliness, no ludicrous portrayals of characters and reactions to events, nothing like that... unlike in Macross the war was epic, bloody and grim, the panic and despair that acompany him were conveyed correctly and all the characters were believable. Though in the series I disliked Minmay mostly, I loved her here, she felt so human, even her faults were a plus. Then it was the way that the love triangle was resolved, no childish crap, it was resolved in a way that felt real and made me feel for all the characters involved... hell even Kaifun wasn't such a jerk in the movie, I could tolerate even him, perhaps because they were wise enough not to have him in that many scenes but still... and then there were the visuals, absolutely stunning...
Again this movie was beautiful, this movie is what Macross should have been...

And btw I wouldn't recommend this movie as an intro to the series, as some have mentioned, this is meant to be watched after the series, it doubt it will do you much good otherwise.
Alas86Dec 7, 2009 12:36 PM
Dec 17, 2009 10:11 PM

Oct 2008

I can't believe it..

Perhaps, I should watch the entire Macross 7 series now as that it is the biggest Macross series and also the most popular one. However, there are just too many episodes and side-stories. I don't have the time to spend on it. On a second thought, I guess I should spend some time on it.
Kira01Dec 17, 2009 10:19 PM
Dec 31, 2009 8:48 PM

May 2009
I loved this movie. Very entertaining with a good, interesting story and characters. Great music and soundtrack and the animation is wonderful, especially considering how old it is.
Mar 26, 2010 11:56 PM

Apr 2008
So, this time the Zentraedi have their own language. I didn't need to see Minmay naked but okay, a little fanservice doesn't hurt.
Folk' dead was good, in both versions he doesn't get to eat the pineapple salad.
44:00 lol
56:40 Delicious.
1:08:48 :)
1:29:49 :)
1:34:58 It reminded me of a boss from a NES game.
1:36:28 Yay!, I just don't like Minmay.
O_O Kaifun wasn't annoying.

Hikaru ends up with Misa that's what I called a happy ending.
6-7/10 The music was good, the animation was well done, they kept the nonsensical ambient. Overall a good adaptation.
TuzoAnimeMar 27, 2010 12:07 AM
Oct 6, 2010 9:05 PM
Jul 2018
somebody should do something bout the synopsis it literally gives away the entire movie.
Dec 13, 2010 2:43 AM

Aug 2010
The movie is a little bit retro for me, but I still loved it. I'm really glad to see that the same music that touched so many people 2 decades ago touched even me. The romance was a bit too sweet and even though I hoped for Hikaru to go on with Minmay, I'm glad he made his choice to stay with Misa in return.
I haven't watched Macross yet(due to not finding some average quality stream or download) but this movie made my day :D
Jan 12, 2011 12:35 AM

Sep 2008
I found the movie version a bit better than the original series since Ichijou made the choice a lot earlier, thus having to hurt Misa less. It still sucks that Roy had to die and I miss the space fish...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2011 1:12 PM

Aug 2008
This was a damn good movie. If I hadn't watched the original series I would've been pretty confused in the beginning, but it still does a great job of fitting that whole series into a movie and leaving out the most annoying, aggravating and at times nonsensical parts of the series. Favorite Macross production so far (though I've only watched the original SDF TV series and the Frontier series and movie, so far).

May 20, 2011 10:47 PM

Apr 2009
What a great animation considering this movie was made more than 2 decades ago. The main characters are quite good, as one of the review says, Minmay is actually likable here and Kaifun's not the asshole that he is in the TV series. Even though I like this movie's animation and action over the TV series, I think I still prefer the TV series just because of the amount of hilarity I enjoyed in it.

HawthorneKitty said:
and I miss the space fish...

There's actually a fish or two still at 17:13 into the movie though it didn't come from space like the TV series, it was likely blown from the supermarket or one of the restaurants in the city when the gravity system malfunctioned during the Macross transformation.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 25, 2011 2:52 PM

May 2010
What the hell? So what happened to Minmei at the end? I like her here than in the series.

The whole thing was ruined when Kaifun came back kissing her. I wanted Hikaru to choose Minmei in this universe.

How did Minmei escape again?
ConfuciusMay 25, 2011 2:58 PM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 12, 2011 3:39 PM

Sep 2009
Needed more Kaifun.
SabinleroseJun 12, 2011 7:28 PM
Jun 14, 2011 7:31 AM

May 2010
Sabinlerose said:
Needed more Kaifun.

I hope you are joking.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Oct 17, 2011 9:02 PM
Aug 2011
Watched this expecting it to be my gateway drug into the world of Macross and was pretty disappointed. I liked some of the romance scenes in the beginning but everything else was really rushed and I struggled to care about the story or any of the characters outside Hikaru and Minmay. I was completely dumbfounded when he picked that other girl. The singing at the ending was cheesy as hell and went on way too fucking long. Gonna watch Frontier next but my impression of Macross isn't so good so far.
Dec 1, 2011 4:12 PM

Feb 2010
Beatnik said:
Well I thought the TV show had a better story obviously, the flaw with this movie is the pace as usual, however Hikaru's relationship with both women importantly isnt rushed and we get plenty of time to buy his romance with both of them, so that was nice.

The attention to detail was STUNNING, what an amazing production. I loved the montages. Definitely worth a watch for fans of the franchise, but as is the problem with these kinds of movies, it's not as accessible to casual viewers, unless they're open minded anyway.

Minmay definitely gets the best treatment, she felt much more tragic and less teen idol-ish this time round, and also hot.

Or maybe Kaifun got the best treatment, trying to fool us into thinking he's not the biggest scumbag in the universe. WE WILL NEVER FORGET KAIFUN, WE KNOW WHAT YOU'RE REALLY LIKE.

^perfect
Sheepshaman.png
Mar 30, 2012 3:01 AM

Feb 2008
Dear god, the jump in animation and production quality is almost startling. Feels like a ten year gap between them when it's barely even two.

Loved it, as expected. It's not the best anime film of all time for me or anything but it's right up at the top. Wish it was a bit longer, though, if only to go more in depth with the love triangle and their feelings for eachother. Oh well.
Apr 16, 2012 11:21 AM

Apr 2012
Beautiful handmade animation. They don't make it like this anymore.
May 5, 2012 9:34 AM

Mar 2012
Beatnik said:

haha yeah they even changed his name, but agreed, I will never forget how much of a dick Kaifun is - EVER!

I thought the film was brilliant beautiful matte/background art too, the mecha in general were far better drawn than the original series. I definitely did miss all the funnies though
Jul 31, 2012 5:04 PM

Sep 2010
For those who know Macross Frontier. In an interview, Kawamori talks that Yoshino once told them that their idols are based on different Minmay versions:

Sheryl was based on Do you Remember Love version of Minmay (the movie).

Ranka was based on the Super Dimensional Fortress Macross version of Minmay (the tv series).
Nov 13, 2012 1:08 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I've seen this movie many times, but this time I watched it in the brand new remastered edition for the BD and it looks and sounds absolutely stunning. It is hard to believe its nearly 28 years old. A wonderful alternate retelling of Macross too. Despite the many differences with the main story, the romance part of it works even better here than in the series. This time, Hikaru really chooses Misa out of love and not as a life choice.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 22, 2013 7:48 PM

Feb 2008
Watching SDF is definitely a must before watching this. I didn't really like the movie when I saw it two years ago. Now, after watching SDF, the movie was a lot better. If anything, I prefer the movie over the show. The show was silly like it's a parody. DYRL was more serious. Okay, except for Kakizaki. Now that was one of the best deaths I saw.

The characters were more likeable here than in the show (thanks to the epilogue arc). Ichijou was way more mature here than in the show.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Mar 24, 2013 9:09 AM

Jul 2012
Meh it was ok. I get that they had to retell 30+ worth of episodes in a span of 2 hours, but still that was way to rushed.. Great animation though.
6/10
Mar 27, 2013 11:59 AM

Mar 2013
Dreamsmatic said:
Meh it was ok. I get that they had to retell 30+ worth of episodes in a span of 2 hours, but still that was way to rushed.. Great animation though.
6/10

Yeah watching the original series first usually improves the impression of this movie by quite a bit. It spans about 25-26 episodes of the original so it leaves a lot out making the story seemed rushed.

I agree, EPIC animation considering it's age.
Jun 5, 2013 7:27 PM

Apr 2012
So it seems Hikaru ends up with Misa. Pretty disappointing because i'm rooting for both him and Minmay but oh well. It seems that Minmay remains a legend throughout the macross universe anyway but i wonder who she ends up with in the end.
Sep 1, 2013 5:35 PM

Jul 2008
RedgraverSoul said:
So it seems Hikaru ends up with Misa. Pretty disappointing because i'm rooting for both him and Minmay but oh well. It seems that Minmay remains a legend throughout the macross universe anyway but i wonder who she ends up with in the end.

Probobably her creep-ass brother since he wanted to kiss her so bad. Ho-ho-ho.

This is the first Macross releted thing I have ever watched and I really liked it. I realise the series goes into more detail but this was fine for me. I really liked the romance and the unexpected twist of Hikaru going for Misa instead of Minmay was a pleasant suprise. (Didn't really prefer one over the other anyway)

I'll definitely be watching more Macross series and it'll all be thanks to this movie. 8/10
Jan 17, 2014 8:04 PM

Nov 2012
Not as good as the TV series at all, it felt really mediocre.
Rushed romance, and supporting characters with no screentime
RX-782Jan 17, 2014 10:41 PM
Feb 5, 2014 8:21 AM

Feb 2012
Best anime film ever.
Feb 7, 2014 9:42 AM
May 2013
This was better than the TV series , countless times better .
Apr 20, 2014 2:49 PM

Nov 2013
This was surprisingly good, far better than the series.

I mean Hikaru didn't take 2 years to make a decision,Focker didn't die in the stupidest way possible, even Kaifun was actually likeable.

The series pretty much soured me on the rest of the franchise but after this I might actually watch some of the other shows.
Aug 26, 2014 12:37 AM
Oct 2013

If i had watched this in cinema theatre as Macross fan, ı would have been die from a nerdgasm :D I am glad i am not...
Still it was a good movie but they should have done some more attractive moment for the song; it looked a little bit dummy.
Stil 8/10
Nov 9, 2014 10:22 AM

Sep 2013
That was a lovely movie. Made me feel nostalgic and remember the memorable cast from SDF Macross. The pacing suffered a lot due to the condensed length, but I came in expecting that. Knowing the background from the tv-series, it didn't really matter. I think this is meant to be watched as a 'sequel' to the series.

Minmay looked better than ever, and so did the dogfights.

Music was great.

It's tough, but I have to give this a 9. I enjoyed it a LOT.
Nov 9, 2014 10:41 AM

Oct 2008
It shits so hard on the TV series that its not even funny.Basically what Char's Counterattack is compared to the original series and ZZ.
Nov 9, 2014 10:50 AM

Sep 2013
amateur said:
It shits so hard on the TV series that its not even funny.Basically what Char's Counterattack is compared to the original series and ZZ.

Eh, that's an interesting comparison. Because I though Char's Counterattack was worse than either 0079, Zeta or ZZ, and I think the majority feels that way. This movie was the opposite, save for the pacing issue.
Nov 10, 2014 5:58 AM

Oct 2008
cupc said:
amateur said:

Eh, that's an interesting comparison. Because I though Char's Counterattack was worse than either 0079, Zeta or ZZ, and I think the majority feels that way. This movie was the opposite, save for the pacing issue.

0079 certainly has its merits ,it has inspired countless other titles (unfortunately some in the same franchise that tried to reproduce it) no one can deny that.But as it is now,at this present day its very dated.And i don't mean that from a visual point of view ofc,but from a story/character,pacing :each episode self contained "villain of the week" type perspective.
ZZ is not even worth talking about,its just absolute garbage.

I felt that CC encapsulated the Gundam franchise, at that certain time ,very well .That being a heavy action based ,with very light political/doctrinal elements series.
Jun 16, 2015 11:16 PM

Jul 2013
Wow. I was surprised at how much they changed the story, despite expecting some change. This was really visually masterful, but I think I like the original story more. A lot of stuff is left out like the origins of the macross and a ton of characterization, obviously because of the format. I wish they did like Gundam and had three movies. It's really disgustingly ironic and tragic the guy who wrote the song that gave immense hope in the bleakest possible situation committed suicide recently (?). Fucking hate the world 4evr.
Making the Zentradi look like big creepy green dudes was retarded. A huge (heh) theme of the show is that the heroes and the enemy are one in the same. Meltrandi still got to be beautiful. Oddly, I felt like I had to rate this higher than the original series despite kind of feeling equally about them overall. This was really much stronger than any equivalent amount of time in the show.
Aug 8, 2015 10:15 PM
Aug 2011
I freaking loved it, i'm not going to harp on pacing and character building because there is no way i'm going to compare the pacing of something happening in 2 hours as opposed to a complete TV series.

That last bit where Minmay is singing and the fight was going on was a goddamn EXPERIENCE and that says a lot coming from me because i've never thought of Minmay that highly before.

The visuals of this movie were stunning- 2015 eat your heart out.
Jan 13, 2016 8:17 PM

Feb 2013
It was amazing to look at, but emotionally hollow compared to the TV version.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» This count as a summary?

Umbreon20 - Sep 14, 2022

3 by Riilu »»
Sep 20, 2022 3:08 PM

» Series Connection?

MrShepherd - Jul 1, 2010

8 by HeirofZor »»
Apr 29, 2020 5:40 AM

» This is the greatest and most beautiful anime movie ever made.

Kleferi - Feb 27, 2010

7 by Xstasy »»
Feb 5, 2020 2:21 PM

» is it a remake?

IshigamiSenku17 - Mar 27, 2016

0 by IshigamiSenku17 »»
Mar 27, 2016 5:44 AM

» Gray_Phantom vs Live-eviL

FormX - Nov 22, 2014

1 by cupc »»
Nov 22, 2014 1:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.