Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2009 2:21 AM
Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just finished this series and all I can say is that it was very average. It does remind me of Strawberry Panic quite a bit, almost screams it, but seeing as how MariMite is like the mother of all shoujo-ai series, one can really see the deep connections between shoujo-ai series.
With this final episode, I expected a lot more closure than what was handed to me. However, I do admit that some parts with Yumi/Sachiko were pretty cute, especially since they want each other so bad. There was almost no closure to be seen at all, which disappoints me a bit. But I guess that's that 3 more seasons are for. :-\
The story itself is not bad, just a bit bland. However the story was quite engaging at times. The characters are probably the highlight of this series. Animation is fairly average considering the year it was made and the music was also fairly average.
Overall, 7/10. Though it being so... average, I fairly enjoyed it to the point of nearly marathoning the series. I have higher expectations for the following seasons now that the first season has setup a sort of footing for its characters.
Aug 12, 2009 6:28 AM

May 2008
Well, in the end this was worth watching for the characters (Kind of that is. They're not terribly amazing, just a lot better than the hoards of crap characters anime usually produces.), but the rest was pretty lacking. The "story" is average at its very best considering the show is almost entirely based around characterization, the sound was nothing special for the most part, and the animation was crap. Not that this is any surprise considering Studio DEEN is notorious for making cheaply produced anime. The only good thing is that at least the people working on this show could draw the characters decently unlike stuff like Shion no Ou and Higurashi. Recommended for people who want some pretty decent characters, but have seen almost every other series with good characterization and don't mind cheap, static animation.
Mar 24, 2010 11:37 AM
Aug 2009
It wasn't interesting anime :/ I thought, that it will be nice story about school for girls, but it's only very boring anime about tennagers problems :/

And characters are not interesting too. It was a waste of time to watch it, even if next seasons will be better, right now I don't want to watch them.
Aug 7, 2011 7:49 AM

Jul 2009
Huh... I see MariMite isn't very popular to discuss. This series is definitely not for everyone.
I like shoujo-ai, but it took me a lot of time to sit down and watch this anime. After first episode it seemed boring and art was horrible. However, after few episodes I started to enjoy it. I liked the story and relationships between girls (seiyuu was awesome), so I don't mind about art :3

8/10 and have big expectations for the following seasons.
Oct 16, 2011 4:42 AM

Nov 2010
The first three posters made me laugh: you all FAILED, go back to where you're most comfortable with.

@Kenaya: you have a point in there; Marimite's NOT for anyone who's excitable, expecting the usual services, T&A, gunfire and explosions, the standard anime tropes and all.

It takes some time to get the hang of the seemingly bland (and tea-laden) storyline, as it's from a light novel written for twenty-something women needing to kill time on the bus or the train. It's only when, after repeated watching, the story makes sense. For some people who became fans thereafter, they found a bit of themselves in the characters' personalities.
I play, the haters lose.
Jun 21, 2012 12:04 PM

Apr 2012
This is only my second shouju-ai anime that I've watched, and with Strawberry Panic being the first one, I had a few expectations for this series before I even started watching (even though I hate doing that).

What Kenaya said is definitely true. It took me a few episodes to really take a liking to this series, but when I did, I just kept on watching. I've always been a sucker for action-packed anime, but just recently I've started really enjoying character-focused ones too, and MariMite did in no way disappoint me in this category.

The animation is, unfortunately, mediocre, and I'm not really a fan of either the opening or the ending either. But I still enjoyed this anime quite a bit, and I'll definitely be watching the other seasons too!

Although I have to admit I would have liked to see a little more closure between Sachiko and Yumi, but I guess I can wait for the other seasons :)
Oct 2, 2012 6:02 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Well, despite that this is not the sort of thing that normally appeals to me, I decided to watch it on a whim to see what it was about and found it is actually fairly well done. It wasn't anything for me to get excited about, but it gets a +1 from me simply because it developed the characters very well over the course of the 13 episodes. 7/10
Jun 19, 2013 7:17 PM
Mar 2008
soulassassin547 said:
The first three posters made me laugh: you all FAILED, go back to where you're most comfortable with.
@Kenaya: you have a point in there; Marimite's NOT for anyone who's excitable, expecting the usual services, T&A, gunfire and explosions, the standard anime tropes and all.

Well aren't you incredibly condescending? I don't like gunfire and action but I still think this anime is mediocre at best. Respect other people's views.
HakuneiiJun 24, 2013 11:19 AM
Feb 8, 2014 8:47 AM

Aug 2013
HappyPear said:
It does remind me of Strawberry Panic quite a bit, almost screams it, but seeing as how MariMite is like the mother of all shoujo-ai series, one can really see the deep connections between shoujo-ai series.

That's because Strawberry Panic is a parody of MariMite.

Several years have passed since I first watched this but the magic is still there. I'm still in love with the characters, the cute moments still make me go "aww" and I find myself holding my breath every time Sachiko and Yumi have disagreements.

It's definitely not for everyone. This is yuri after all and if you're not a yuri fan, you'd most likely just see it as just another SoL set in an all-girls school.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 19, 2014 2:25 PM

Feb 2013
Good show. I'm giving it a 7/10 and will be watching the other seasons.
Nov 6, 2014 10:27 PM

Sep 2014
This show made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Yumi and Sachiko were just so cute on their date. I'm not watching this for the story (cuz...there really isn't one lolz) but for the interactions and relationships between characters.
I enjoyed this more than Strawberry Panic b/c half of SP was super melodramatic and half of it was pretty dumb. Like Amane flying off a horse, Amane having a GPS horse, and a whole episode dedicated to finding a damn umbrella, etc., and so on.
Jan 11, 2015 7:33 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Like most yuri shows that have vast amount of yuri action scenes this one was different. Maria-sama being a yuri show is a mature type show that had very little yuri scenes. However, what made the scenes memorable were the emotions put into them. This is why this show isn't for everyone.

This show gets a 10/10

The episode itself was quite amusing. Sachiko trying on pants for the first time was funny. It must have taken her a while to find pants for her size since she's so tall. Shimako showed a lot of emotion here. Before this episode there wasn't much going on with her, but this episode she runs to Sei and cries. Must be tough for her to accept that Rosa Gigantea will be leaving and she'll be on her own.

I think this was the first time hearing Sachiko laugh. She went from being cold to Yumi to being more considerate towards her feelings. I look forward to season 2 and Yumi's cute expressions.

Mar 23, 2015 8:02 PM

Jul 2012
This was a lovely series <3

There is only light yuri since these are Class S relationships but I think it works very well. It was sweet and heartwarming seeing how close the girls were. The characters are mature, complex and thankfully, there was seriousness with no melodrama.

I'll have to get around to watching the sequels soon.
Jun 10, 2015 11:09 AM
Oct 2009
All relationships were so good that I almost had to eat them with a spoon <3

I’ve had my fair share of expectations yet MariMite responded splendidly, far exceeding all of them… and the first season’s supposed to be the weakest? xD I’m so hype for the rest.

Hoping for more Sei and Shimako goodness in Haru.
Jul 31, 2015 6:49 AM

Dec 2012
Shizuka and Canina...I have to wonder if they have an unspoken understanding of each other's love for Gigantea. Heh, Yumi was playing the role of onee-sama today, leading Sachiko during the shopping. I like the part where the five of them sat down to eat sweets and how Yumi brings up the various ways that they all lost track of the time enjoying that moment together. "See you tomorrow" unfortunately I can't say the same, although I will be watching Haru in due time.

My first impression of this was that it was low budget, another Deen blunder, and frankly was going to be stale and uninteresting. Barring the minor quality issues, this completely shattered and surpassed all expectations and initial thoughts. The characters all had a surprising amount of depth to them, often feeling very organic and straying from what I'm used to seeing in yuri/shoujo-ai series. The ones that got a great deal of screen time were fascinating and even characters such as Mifuyu and Shiori made good use of the little time they had to pull me in.

I actually like how this wasn't in-your-face shoujo-ai and how it's remained fairly mild and subtle about the topic thus far. It felt more like an elegant and charming slice of life. Even though the music and audio were so-so, I really do like the character designs. They captured the essence of their beauty and refined natures.

I initially watched this for an anime challenge (an anime with a live action counterpart) and I may very well watch that as well after I've completed the other seasons.

7.5/10, I'm sure Maria-sama is watching over me so I might be pressured to bump that up to an 8.
Jun 29, 2016 11:10 PM

Jan 2013
Alright ending. 6.5/10
Feb 28, 2017 6:24 PM
Aug 2014
Enjoyed the show a lot more than I though I would after disliking Strawberry Panic. Most characters are given quite a lot of depth with limited screen time and the drama seemed to be caused by their personalties and not because of the need for drama required them to act a certain way.

8/10
Jan 12, 2019 8:08 PM

Apr 2012
SweetKiichigo said:
Like most yuri shows that have vast amount of yuri action scenes this one was different. Maria-sama being a yuri show is a mature type show that had very little yuri scenes. However, what made the scenes memorable were the emotions put into them. This is why this show isn't for everyone.

On the contrary, MariMite is the classic, “real” yuri. Not because the full lesbian yuri is allegedly not real, but because this franchise is literally the progenitor of 70% yuri tropes. This is literally the embodiment of the whole genre, both in terms of its Class S roots and its influence on the whole genre as a whole.

Lorezhno said:
Enjoyed the show a lot more than I though I would after disliking Strawberry Panic. Most characters are given quite a lot of depth with limited screen time and the drama seemed to be caused by their personalties and not because of the need for drama required them to act a certain way.

8/10

Panic is a kind of homage in the form of a affectionate parody of all the yuri popular works and tropes. Such work is better to watch after you watched MariMite, Oniisama E and Rose of Versailles.
Aug 16, 2019 8:15 AM
Jan 2018
i like the characters in this series but felt something was missing well on to the next seasons ,shame the LN isn't officially translated

7/10
Mattinator95Aug 17, 2019 3:44 AM
Dec 9, 2020 2:43 PM

Aug 2018
I don't know.. If anything, even if maybe Shizuka is trying to reach something without masks with Shimako.. It feels to me that they both exchange some standard phrases, as well as actually putting more of guard.. I don't really find Shimako's and Shizuka's relationship any open at all.. For now, that is..
I also feel that Shimako is on good and open terms with Yumi as well.. So kinda not only having to keep mask all the time in the school or something.. But who knows..
Overall, it was a nice series.. Always nice to watch some thought provoking drama.. I liked some of the girls.. Though, also, it seems, their stories are far from over, as well as their personalities are still to come out in some questions.. Well, it looks like this anime has many seasons.. But also, what I already was getting about characters - was already interesting.. I liked these series, it was a nice watch.. Maybe I'll watch some more in the future, who knows..
Feb 26, 2021 1:52 PM

Feb 2020
I'm surprised to see so many people who didn't like this show. I thought the character development was great, each character has displayed a great personality and really surprised me over the course of the show. Yumi turned out being more than just a clumsy girl, Sachiko, far from being the typical cold-hearted dark haired girl is in opposition a real sweetheart who's simply socially awkward, Sei has a tragic backstory that contrasts with her optimistic personality, Yoshino, instead of being all soft and shy like most characters her type actually has a strong and very fun personality, etc... I don't think there's a single character I don't like, they're all so well written. Proof of the great character writing being Shizuka and Mifuyu having been developed in one single episode without it feeling rushed at all. I can definitely see why this show is known for its great character development. And not just that, the relationships have been very well handled as well.

Now, it is indeed not for everyone. Not a lot happens, if anything at all actually, and everything resides in the character interactions, nothing more, nothing less. But for me it was a very enjoyable ride, and the show had a real charm overall. I give it a strong 7 (it's more a 7.5 actually, too bad MAL doesn't use decimals), and I can't wait to clean my watch list a bit so that I can watch the second season !
Dec 2, 2021 8:53 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
It’s funny to see some folks here have a very similar experience I did, going into this show it was a very slow burn, I was giving something new a try and I wasn’t too sure in the first couple episodes, but by about episode 4 or 5 I was really onboard, I loved the heck out of this show. The characters especially, they grew on me a lot and I really liked the relationships they had together. It served as a very nice relaxing Yuri show to watch, and that’s exactly what I wanted out of it.

The OP and ED I wasn’t too fond of going in either, but as the show itself did, they grew on me as it went on and I find they fit the show a lot, visuals are really nice too. I’m gonna take a small break for now but I’m really looking forward to watching the next season, I was absolutely sucked in by this show and I’m hoping the rest can do that as well. As a final note, it’s hard to have a best girl for a show like this with so many good characters, but I think my favorite as of rn is Yoshino, after she opened up I grew to really like her, she had a lot of fun moments and I like her relationship with Rei a lot, she has a really nice character design too.
Apr 16, 2022 8:39 PM

Jun 2014
Yumi and Sachiko's date went really well, and they can't wait to see each other again.

Shimako is sad, because she knows that Sei will soon graduate, and will part ways with her, but she'll cherish every moment up until then.

Overall, this series was quite good. I can't wait to start the second season.

Jun 7, 2022 4:23 AM

Dec 2021
Very lovely series.
💜
Jun 10, 2023 12:03 AM

Mar 2015
Such a comfy series once it gets going. Yumi, Sei, and Yoshino are such fun characters, and it was interesting watching their personalities and relationships develop. MariMite hasn't aged well considering the genre it more or less established has really taken off over the years, but holds up well enough to be a joy for fans of yuri. 7.5/10
My lists are way out of date...
May 31, 4:17 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Criminally underrated, but that is MAL's taste for you. Such an emotionally diverse cast and beautiful character interactions. Love watching these relationships blossom. So glad I finally checked this series out and can't wait to continue into the next season.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru Episode 4 Discussion

Cratex - Sep 27, 2012

12 by ObedPM »»
Aug 12, 5:16 AM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru Episode 8 Discussion

Cratex - Sep 28, 2012

16 by Akaseaka »»
Jun 6, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru Episode 6 Discussion

DarkIceXIII - Aug 30, 2009

20 by silentxblue »»
Sep 19, 2023 12:16 PM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru Episode 1 Discussion

skriticos - Jul 3, 2009

29 by silentxblue »»
Jul 6, 2023 7:53 AM

Poll: » Maria-sama ga Miteru Episode 3 Discussion

Cratex - Aug 12, 2012

17 by Joey-XD19202 »»
Jul 1, 2023 10:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.