Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2012 11:11 AM
Jun 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Just finished reading this, felt completely short and I'd love to read more of this.
Mar 17, 2012 7:35 PM

Oct 2010
Me too, I love it's graphics.
Apr 1, 2012 11:49 AM

Jan 2012
I really liked the story full of mystery and horror, during reading it you're actually able to feel the main protagonist's environment which is full of tension... and of-course the Art work of the Manga is brilliant.
Apr 13, 2012 4:32 AM

Jun 2011
I love the twist ending, it was unexpected yet the progression was there from the start. And god, the artwork is brilliant.

Apr 13, 2012 6:20 AM

Apr 2011
Read this a while ago. Masterpiece.
Oct 19, 2012 4:19 PM

Oct 2011
Pretty good read. Liked the twist at the end, reminds me of Ibitsu's ending a bit.

Mar 5, 2013 7:22 AM
Aug 2011
Geez, I read this last night and it was the correct decision. I had this tense feeling the entire time I was reading and the darkness and silence greatly contributed to it.

Brilliant.
Jun 20, 2013 10:39 AM
Jan 2013
Hmm not bad, good drawing and atmosphere, but i found the twist pretty obvious.
Jul 23, 2013 2:37 PM

Dec 2012
This was fucking amazing. Brilliant art, nice chilling atmosphere and a perfect ending.

9/10
Jul 30, 2013 4:50 AM

Jun 2011
wow.. for a 1 volume manga.. it was a great read.
Aug 20, 2013 5:17 PM

Mar 2010
The irony.. Well It way decent. Only wished to see more killing o well.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 5, 2014 7:45 PM

Sep 2011
That twist caught me so off guard

this was a delightfully fucked up manga delving deep into the darkest thoughts of the human mind, had great suspense and phenomenal art

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 26, 2014 8:27 PM

Apr 2012
Well, that was interesting. The ending is perfect for a series like this.
Jun 3, 2014 7:22 AM

Jul 2013
Admirable ending. I was afraid it would be given the romantic happy ending given the circumstances. A solid read for a single volume work.
Jun 13, 2014 4:06 AM

Jun 2012
Seems most enjoyed it. I wasn't taken by it so much, so little explained. Who were the old man and child? How did they all eat and get enough water down there? What happened to the family (he said he was lonely)? How the hell did he get so fucked up (I mean, it's just a little to unreasonable)?

Whatever, short, sweet, entertaining. But by no means the best.
Oct 17, 2014 7:19 PM

Feb 2013
This was a really good and underrated manga.
Oct 22, 2014 9:48 PM

Oct 2013
Mauseum said:
Seems most enjoyed it. I wasn't taken by it so much, so little explained. Who were the old man and child? How did they all eat and get enough water down there? What happened to the family (he said he was lonely)? How the hell did he get so fucked up (I mean, it's just a little to unreasonable)?

I think you're seeing it the wrong way, the manga tells a little story and more than all, portrays an atmosphere, which is greatly delivered by the artwork and the storytelling.

On the other hand, the author is good enough to balance the sheer emotion and horror of the canvern story and the flashbacks so the manga it's not everwhelming.

The lenght is perfect so the story doesn't drag too much and we don't get tired of the characters

The only things I have some complains is that I could see the twist since the last two/three chapters and we didn't get enough of the woman

I read this whilie listening the Aku no Hana soundtrack, an awesome experience

8/10
Nov 30, 2014 11:25 PM

Aug 2013
I liked how Seiichi's left eye was still shown as injured years later.

That fight must have left quite a toll on his body though.
Dec 1, 2014 6:21 PM

Jan 2013
Mauseum said:

Just finished the manga and have to agree with that statement on most accounts. The entirety of the volume from the plot, set-up, and execution were all done well, but that's pretty much all this manga had going for it aside from the obvious confusions it had and made. The only category in which this manga did beyond that was the artwork, which is superb in the context of a horror manga, and some might even argue the entertainment factor which I wouldn't rule against. Although, It barely attempted to take risks outside its cookie-cutter plot, and "twist" ending which most everyone saw coming.

Now for the questions that were posed in this short manga:
Is the old guy living in the cave whom Seiichi killed suppose symbolically represent his father-in-law? One might draw to that conclusion as the flashbacks occurred at the same time. Then again, the old guy was suppose to be the dad... so, back to square one. Maybe Seiichi killing the father was suppose to symbolically represent him killing the type of person/dad he used to be, and starting that "new life" that's generously mentioned every chapter.
Don't mean to attempt to answer ever one of your questions, but as for the food and water thing, I think that's why people were going missing, and those captured people inside the cave were missing limbs and such. There body parts were being cut from them alive and eaten by the family... some gruesome imagery indeed.
The family seems to resemble the three of the cast, most notably when Juun is compared to the cave boy... what does this even mean? I feel like this story has a case of "The Cage of Eden" where it doesn't even know what its own ending is suppose to mean. The most logical conclusion I can draw from this is that everything that happened is a hallucination of sorts and he went crazy from the constant droning of his in-law's, killed them both as depicted in the last couple chapters, and forced his living wife and son to the cave where they lived their lives eating tourists. Makes a bit of sense given the fact that he never refers to them as his "new wife and child" just his "wife and child", although its still a stretch and I feel I'm thinking too much into it.
Yes, it was a fine read, and the MC did seem relateable to a certain extent as he had clearly gone mad past the point of chapter 1. All of that makes Hideout a 7 for me. Not much else to say besides that the questions still stand, any help or discussion from readers would be much appreciated.
Jan 9, 2015 5:01 PM

Mar 2013
Brilliant.
The art style, the backstory, the interactions between Seiichi and his wife and their tragic son's death. Brilliant.
Jan 10, 2015 10:20 PM

May 2010
Really good, probably the best one shot I own. Intense pacing, the story might not be super refreshing or original, but what counts is whether it works. And it totally does!

Backstory/flashback was brilliantly placed, none manga I've read before used something similar. When you think about it, characters act almost like real people (though wife was too one-dimensional), I only wish we learned more about the prisoned woman. And the kid. I felt SO sorry for them!

Still, it's short and it has AMAZING artstyle, drawings are creepy and yet somehow beautiful... 8/10 Absolutely enjoyed it.
Feb 6, 2015 8:31 AM

Jan 2014
Not bad, a little bit like The Hills Have Eyes-esq in plot. A good read.
Mar 21, 2015 9:47 AM
Jul 2018
That was brilliant! I loved this manga. I'm so sad it's so short, but it's so well-portrayed.
May 3, 2015 2:32 PM
Aug 2014
This manga was recently published in Brazil, and i bought and read it. Glad i did. It was a good read, so i will leave my recommendation. 7/10.
Jun 17, 2015 5:04 AM

Jun 2011
I thought he got to swap the ugly one for a hot one, but nope, he killed her. I was actually showing pity for the MC until this final chapter. Meh.

This series wasn't really that scary. Overused the close-in eyeshot. Atmosphere wasn't really great either.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 4, 2015 2:30 AM

Jul 2015
The 'twist' everyone's talking about, I could see it coming from a mile away... Ever since he 'accidentally' called the ugly kid 'jun', I knew where it was headed.
Waaaay too much black ink, I couldn't see a dang thing. Not enough blood and gore, we didn't even get to see that guy being cannibalized properly. The scenes drag on & on & on... Aaaaand ugly == scary.
The only good part is that the stupid bitch got what she deserved at the end.
And the actual artwork (or what was visible anyway) wasn't bad either.
Dec 28, 2015 10:26 PM

May 2013
Wtf? I liked the concept of the manga, but I expected too much. Even though his wife was not a good person, she didn't deserve to die. It's like that movie trope of cowards never get to live in horror movies. Also, wtf? Did he kill that other poor woman and her son at the end? Wtf?

Reading this I was honestly expecting the Descent or the Beast in the Cave/The Lurking Fear, but honestly the characters were just very not believable. Like who is honestly a mean, god damn bitch all the time? Also, it portrayed this woman as not loving him at all? If she didn't marry him for love what did she marry him for? He's a fucking writer, they don't make no money. So, how is she portrayed as a bitch that just likes to shop all day?

Also, why the fuck were the child and the old man deformed, but not the woman? She had to have been living in that cave longer than that kid, but she didn't look fucked up. And then at the end the writer was all deformed like them, too? Like that makes it obvious that this is not some deformity that these people of the cave have, but just the author of the manga making them look hideous to scare the reader into thinking these creatures are sinister or other worldly to the reader.

Even though it turned out different than I expected, if it had turned out in a good way, I wouldn't have minded it, but this story just seemed kind of slapdash and crappy. Honestly, the writer of the manga and the writer in the manga have that in common as in the quality of their writing is shit.
Aug 6, 2017 12:04 PM

Sep 2011
The twist was pretty obvious. It was a good read, a shame that was so short.
Apr 14, 2018 7:07 AM
May 2015
I really enjoyed this story, It had me really feeling for the protagonist till the very last 7 pages. I think that this story is something that could be made into a short film someday, I also think that the story in some small way drew inspiration from Lars Von Trier's Anti-Christ. Funny enough the thing that's left me so drained from emotion is not the stories ending, but it's parts set in the flashbacks. I was completely gutted twice, once when Jun's death happened and second when Miki said she didn't want another child and the Jun was an Accident. Although after considering it. Miki is just as torn up about the thing as the Protagonist and she's also in a way trying to hurt him for taking Jun away from her, so in a way all her actions are based on hurting him for revenge for Jun, can't say that isn't a mothers love in some messed up way. I really think It's perfect as it is, but another story or one shot would be good, if just to check in on the protagonist and his mental state.
May 26, 2018 10:25 PM

May 2016
He survived the explosion...and gone completely insane. He saw himself in the monster so much that he started thinking exactly like him, eventually turning into the very same monster he was running away from. The story ended on an unfortunate note and the cycle consequently continues.

This was also one of the few manga that made it hard for me to breathe because of actual anxiety. I like that the author ended up doing the same stuff he loved as a child and even explored a cave to find inspiration for drawing the manga.

Aug 27, 2020 2:34 PM

Feb 2014
Pretty decent short read, liked how it felt pretty similar to horror movies like The Hills Have Eyes or The Descent, the ugly child asking for his "mommy" was my least favorite part tho, felt a bit stupid and out of place compared with everything else in the story.
Jun 10, 2021 10:50 AM
Jun 2017
It's decent i'd say,definitely would recommend to new readers who loves horror
Oct 29, 2021 10:50 AM
Oct 2019
damn 7/10 not bad.......good read
Jan 28, 2022 8:50 AM

Feb 2021
Man oh man! What a way to end it. The psychopath had evolved into the monster. Now that I think about it, he probably killed the sweet child too :(

This is actually a really good short horror manga. The art style was top-notch.
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
"Everything I've witnessed... This whole system you have built has always rejected me. Now I'm ready to reject it. That's why I destroy. That's why I took this power for myself. Simple enough, yeah? I don't care if you don't understand... That's what makes us... Heroes and Villains."
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
Mar 10, 2023 2:16 AM

Jan 2021
I could feel those eyes staring into my sole, they were my favorite part

Cover for the volume is 10/10
Mar 22, 2023 1:07 PM
Mar 2022
great manga, finished it in 1 day8/10
Nov 8, 2023 11:05 PM

Jul 2021
Throughout this manga i wanted the dude to live but in the end he turned insane still a great read though

Mar 31, 3:40 AM

Feb 2023
The manga is so overrated. More people should see it. The art is very good and the characters are so cool. The story is mega simple and does not cover up the reader. But the end...

I don't have words how to described this final... The author is make one of the best plot twist ever!

Sorry if you guys don't understand some of my sentences. I'm still learn English. :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hideout Chapter 8 Discussion

Renzokuken - Jan 30, 2012

9 by DeonX »»
Jan 28, 2022 8:43 AM

Poll: » Hideout Chapter 7 Discussion

8 by DeonX »»
Jan 28, 2022 8:30 AM

Poll: » Hideout Chapter 6 Discussion

6 by DeonX »»
Jan 28, 2022 8:19 AM

Poll: » Hideout Chapter 5 Discussion

8 by DeonX »»
Jan 28, 2022 8:04 AM

Poll: » Hideout Chapter 4 Discussion

7 by DeonX »»
Jan 28, 2022 7:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.