Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2011 10:12 AM

Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The only Pokemon film I ever saw in US cinemas, I have fond memories of this film. It may not have been the best, but far from the worst. Latias and Ash make a cute couple. XD
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Aug 5, 2011 11:18 PM

Aug 2008
yeah, my siblings were kind of freaking out that ash was kissed for the first time, and by a pokemon.

but then i realized that he actually was kissed by that girl with the ocarina in the second movie
Feb 10, 2013 7:37 AM

Dec 2012
This is my favourite and most memorable Pokemon movie besides the very first movie about Mewtwo. I rewatched this movie at least 4 times when I was younger. Seven years later, and the plot is still strong in my head, although I didn't particularly love it as much as before.

8/10
Sep 10, 2013 12:47 AM

Jul 2008
This one is pretty memorable because of an actual pokemon death. In the Celebi movie, its death was played up a lot more but brought back. In this one the characters weren't as emotional I thought.

Still very good though.
Dec 9, 2016 6:45 AM

Sep 2014
Just watched the fifth pokemon movie. I actually cried. Two times actually. First when Latios sacrificed itself and then when Latias kissed Ash. Didn't expect someting like this from a pokemon movie again. Might be my favourite pokemon movie up 'til now. It at least rivals the first movie, which I haven't seen in years. What a bittersweet movie.
Nov 18, 2017 8:50 AM

Apr 2013
aww that kisses make me jealous haha, that little lucky ash xD
Feb 10, 2018 4:46 AM

Aug 2016
One of the better movies for sure!
Nanika ga Okashii
Oct 4, 2018 3:27 PM

Apr 2017
I had this one on VHS as a kid and watched it all the time. Of the Pokemon movies, this one is on the better end of the spectrum.
Awoo :3
Dec 14, 2020 2:48 PM

Jul 2013
This film turned out to be way better than what I expected. I really like the Venice-like setting, and the city's history gives more backbone to the story. Also, the blending of 2D and 3D animation is nicely done and most of the battle scenes look quite fluid.

Pokemon movies get a lot of hate generally, but this particular one doesn't deserve it in my opinion.
Feb 16, 2021 6:56 PM

May 2008
Man oh man that CGI. LOL It didn't age too well (though it's not AS hideous as others) which makes this movie a perfect example of why I detest CGI in 2D - it tends to age badly over time and becomes too obvious. Not only that, this movie also makes my theory that CGI works best in 2D with non-complex movements - such as water. Water, hands down, always look the best in CGI while humans (or any complex movement like it) always look the worst.

It also makes me sad that Pokemon was introducing CGI this early. 2002? Yeesh, I thought I'd be safe until I get >2008. It makes me sad because outside of it, this is quite the beautiful movie. I wish I could have gotten to see it in full 2D rather than this mix. The version I just rewatched was the updated one, so colors were quite... bright (damn the green is BRIGHT).

On rewatch, this movie is actually... pretty good! Sure Rocket Gang don't do much of anything but I kinda like how they're just trying to have a vacation? They aren't trying to sneaky or plotting or interrupting where they don't belong; if thy don't have a good role, I rather them be on vacation in the background.

The plot is simple, but it works in this one's favor. It allows for pokemon-human bonding though it could be better in developing the two minor characters (Kanon and the old man). I felt they were weak despite how important their role is supposed to be. The villains are a welcome change too. It's kinda funny how varied the movie villains were back then despite following the Rocket Gang motif.

Even Kasumi and Takeshi helped a little! Though they wouldn't need to if Satoshi didn't stand around and gape rather take an active role as soon as they saw what was going on. But I really like that Latias went to get Satoshi first and how close they got; I wanted Satoshi to "capture" her. It's no fair everyone else gets pokemon because of their friendship except Satoshi, he only loses them. :/ How awesome would it have been if Latias became a travel companion?

The OST is killer too. At multiple points it stood out, something that usually doesn't happen for me.

Raising my rating by one. Good movie.
Jan 13, 2023 5:14 PM

Jan 2013
Not even a word from Jesse when she returned Wobbuffet ... lmao
I still remember the first time seeing that cute kiss from Latias when I was younger.

I just really like this movie, fond memories of watching it the first time and just a really pretty movie with the Venice setting.
For me this was on par with the first movie.
9/10
May 8, 2023 1:50 AM
Apr 2022
Show Rate Meter Guide  - (5 Great _ 4 Good _ 3 Fine _ 2 Not Good _ 1 Bad).(dismal are sometimes needed)
[Story] - 4   
[Art/Animation] - 4
[Sound/Music] - 3.5
[M-Character] - 4.5
[S-Character] - 3.5
[Enjoyment] - 3.5
[Overall] - 3.5

The storyline is very nicely written and the Venice setting was good and interesting, having fond memories of my two favorite rear Pokémon Latios and Latias I loved theses two more then the, Gen one with the 3 birds and gen two with the 3 dogs. Latios sacrificed himself kind of hit me hard seeing that happened in Pokémon, He was my first rear I ever taught in my fist Pokémon game .Ruby, I recall be surprised at the end seeing Ash getting a goodbye kiss on the check when I saw the film for the first time. I was a teenager when I first saw this movie, I think this is my 4th or 5th times seeing it. If I saw this film as a kid I think I wood have loved it more then like it.
CcCharlesMay 8, 2023 2:18 AM
Dec 31, 2023 7:09 PM
Jan 2021
Latias is a cute girl. The entire franchise could be greatly improved by making each pokemon have a cute girl form.
Jan 14, 9:11 PM
Apr 2023
My number one favorite pokemon movie forever in my life... Latias was so cute both in Pokemon and human form ( she is my favorite pokemon ever since!), the music when Ash was chasing the girl was one of the best musics ( OST: Search for the girl) and overall it was a sad movie that Latios the brother died but still the ending was beautiful because Latias gave Ash a cute kiss in the end:')

Jun 30, 9:36 PM

Dec 2022
really love that Venice aesthetic, setting and set pieces and all that was beautiful! way too much CGI for my liking buuuut I'm trying to get used to that with these Pokemon movies since it seems that's just how they're gonna be.
great ending all around too. seems to be a lot left open to interpretation with exactly how the lifecycle of Latios&Latias works, plus with exactly who it was Ash got smooched by ^_^
Annie Oakley locked up and proud to be in the criminal hall of fame lol. Jesse James can never achieve such a feat, bringing shame to their namesake! sad!
Jul 6, 5:29 AM

Nov 2020
Good movie I liked it better than the last one but it wasn't really like first 3 movies...

Poor Latios and I didn't expect that kiss at the end...
Sorry for my english xD!

RIP Kentaro Miura :(
RIP Akira Toriyama :(

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who kissed Ash?

iamKetranLang - Jan 14, 2022

4 by iamKetranLang »»
Jan 15, 2022 3:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.