Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 2, 2008 12:14 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
i hate kaifun more every time he opens his mouth :/
ofc it would be different if his actions had any hope of creating anything but chaos or if, at the very least, he wasn't such a self righteous ass about it.

also i still can't understand why Kajim (or whatever his name is) hasn't been executed yet.
Jun 3, 2008 7:04 PM

May 2008
I find both Kaifun and Minmay extremely annoying. I love how Kaifun calls a war with an alien race that's trying to destroy humanity a needless conflict...
Aug 1, 2008 2:23 PM

Jul 2008
Kaifun was irritating right from the beginning. But this is the first episode where Minmay's behaviour was really annoying.
Oct 5, 2009 11:37 AM

Jan 2008
This is what happens when you try to replace the Uber Cute Pinpoint Barrier. I couldnt get enough of those girls rolling those balls while screaming "yada!". :D

The thing with Minmay is that she's annoying in a realistic way, just a typical witless teen idol. Hopefully she'll see the light sooner or later.

Kakizaki. R.I.P. :(
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 5, 2009 1:15 PM

Feb 2009
The series is getting better by the episode, its getting more intense, the characters are being affected one way or another, the art is better and the pacing is getting faster.

I'm starting to enjoy these series more than Gundam 0079
Feb 12, 2010 11:09 PM

Apr 2008
Man, I love how the reporters get pissed of when Minmay's cousin starts talking about the war, " We don't give a shit about our current situation, we only care about Minmay Minmay!", those guys are hardcore paparazzis. Another side character dies, maybe the next one will be the blue hair guy.
May 16, 2010 7:35 PM

Sep 2009
TuzoAnime said:
Man, I love how the reporters get pissed of when Minmay's cousin starts talking about the war, " We don't give a shit about our current situation, we only care about Minmay Minmay!", those guys are hardcore paparazzis. Another side character dies, maybe the next one will be the blue hair guy.

Hate to disappoint you.
I;m sure by now you finished the series, so you know what I'm talking about.
Jul 27, 2010 5:47 PM

Jan 2010
Why did Hikaru hang up?
Jan 9, 2011 1:05 AM

Aug 2008
Wow! What a great episode. Poor Kakizaki never got to finish his steak. I knew the oaf was gonna bite it eventually, but damn.
Apr 11, 2011 6:00 PM

May 2010
DonKangolJones said:
Wow! What a great episode. Poor Kakizaki never got to finish his steak. I knew the oaf was gonna bite it eventually, but damn.

Lol yeah
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 4, 2011 11:11 PM

Jun 2009
Well, it was obvious that Kakizaki was done for when they showed the shot of the unfinished steak. It's also obvious that the "blue haired guy" isn't going to die anytime soon because the story is obviously pointing in the direction of him meeting the Zantredi girl.

Also, that scene with Hikaru hanging up on Minmay was magnificent. It went a long way to show how disillusioned he is with her. I guess it still hasn't hit her how dangerous this situation is.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 17, 2011 4:07 PM

Apr 2009
Okay another one bites the dust. This war might be taking it's toll on the main characters by now except Minmay. LOL

insan3soldiern said:
Also, that scene with Hikaru hanging up on Minmay was magnificent. It went a long way to show how disillusioned he is with her. I guess it still hasn't hit her how dangerous this situation is.

Yeah thank God for that. Unfortunately Minmay is living a teen celebrity lifestyle, coupled with her naive perception of the current Macross world scenario and that perception being reinforced by her fans, she might not wake up from her delusion until the big bad Zentradis came knocking at her door. I'm starting to sound like a UN Spacy propagandist, am I? XD Kaifun probably hates my guts right now if he's real and reading this post. LOL
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 7, 2011 2:18 PM

May 2008
Another fantastic episode I have to say~ And indeed, the best scene was when Hikaru hang up on Minmay. I've never really liked her so the redevelopment with Hikaru is just makes this more entertaining~
Though I liked Minmay's song which was played.
Nov 21, 2011 9:56 AM
Mar 2010
tofei said:
Okay another one bites the dust. This war might be taking it's toll on the main characters by now except Minmay. LOL

insan3soldiern said:

Yeah thank God for that. Unfortunately Minmay is living a teen celebrity lifestyle, coupled with her naive perception of the current Macross world scenario and that perception being reinforced by her fans, she might not wake up from her delusion until the big bad Zentradis came knocking at her door. I'm starting to sound like a UN Spacy propagandist, am I? XD Kaifun probably hates my guts right now if he's real and reading this post. LOL

I think that the real significance of Hikaru hanging up on Minmay, and how things are going between the two in general, is that Minmay, in a way, represents Hikaru before he became an officer in the military. Back in the beginning of the series, he was an arrogant hot-shot who would brag about how many amateur flying competitions he won. It was while he still he had this mindset that he first met Minmay, who very much shared his naivete. While Hikaru quickly realizes that he is not as great as he once thought he was, Minmay is allowed to continue to live in her fantasies despite the war. I think part of why his relationship with Minmay is getting rather rocky is that she reminds him so much of himself, and he has come to realize that he cannot continue to be who he once was.
Nov 24, 2011 2:07 PM

Feb 2010
Bunji said:
I find both Kaifun and Minmay extremely annoying. I love how Kaifun calls a war with an alien race that's trying to destroy humanity a needless conflict...

each episodes he seems more and more like a retard.... what he says makes absolutily no sense.
Sheepshaman.png
May 2, 2012 3:58 PM

Mar 2012
Veethorn said:
The series is getting better by the episode, its getting more intense, the characters are being affected one way or another, the art is better and the pacing is getting faster.

I'm starting to enjoy these series more than Gundam 0079

I am liking it quite a bit but so far I would still prefer Mobile Suit Gundam and Space Runaway Ideon over it.

Kaifun is a total idiot - the Macross' self defence is COMPLETELY unquestionable

Poor Kakizaki, he reminds me a bit of Ryo in Gundam character wise, kinda friendly big oaf
Oct 31, 2012 2:00 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Kakizaki's death was inevitable when a meal was left half finished. But then again, he was never half the pilot Hikaru nevermind Max were.

Hikaru's and Minmay's lifestyles are going in opposite directions. Hikaru is growing up, becoming a commander of men in battle which means losing them like he has with Kakizaki. Minmay is living the life of an idol with the benefits it entails.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 25, 2013 9:44 PM

Feb 2010
Some great Misa moments.

I can aggree with Beatnik, there was not enough of pinpoint barrier girls while it lasted.

Bunji said:

I would aggree but for one thing: U.N. never tried to negotiate peace, or communicate at all with aliens. As for Macross, it's only trying to survive attacks. Blaming people for fighting in such circumstances is idiotic. Why ever he boarded Macross if he wants to have nothing with military is beyond me.

Marzan said:
Kakizaki's death was inevitable when a meal was left half finished. But then again, he was never half the pilot Hikaru nevermind Max were.

Hikaru's and Minmay's lifestyles are going in opposite directions. Hikaru is growing up, becoming a commander of men in battle which means losing them like he has with Kakizaki. Minmay is living the life of an idol with the benefits it entails.

Yeah, that meal was ominous.
I don't know what Hikaru thinks but he doesn't want to see Minmay right now. Maybe it's partly because how oblivious she is of what ails him.
Not long ago his deep thoughts were of saving her (dream sequence) and he was even ready to become a civilian to be with her. As of now, he had fought numerous enemies and lost people both in and out of combat. Undoubtely he has much in common with Misa which his dream had pointed out. But aside from Hikaru, who could take Minmay out of her fictional world or would care? Her managers need only sales, and Kaifun needs only a spotlight for his preachings, so...
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Mar 31, 2014 2:21 PM

Jan 2011
While Kaifun is annoying and is as blinkered as anyone who is totally focused on a single cause, I can't help but feeling he has a point about the futility of war. On the other hand, it takes two sides to negotiate and the Zentraedi don't have that concept in their culture. Interesting to note that the spies do seem to have changed and can see the advantages of civilian life and peace.

That's two relatively major supporting characters gone in two episodes, plus a good chunk of Ontario urban landscape. It seems like things are escalating quickly.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Oct 23, 2014 5:52 PM

Sep 2011
this show has just been fantastic as of recent

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 26, 2015 3:36 AM

Sep 2013
Ohmygod Ontario just transformed into Detroit

rodac said:
While Kaifun is annoying and is as blinkered as anyone who is totally focused on a single cause, I can't help but feeling he has a point about the futility of war. On the other hand, it takes two sides to negotiate and the Zentraedi don't have that concept in their culture. Interesting to note that the spies do seem to have changed and can see the advantages of civilian life and peace.
From his own experience of human warfare, of course he holds a point, but from context he just sounds quite sheltered (has he ever offered a single plausible solution to resolving the conflict, or has he just been spewing out the same phrase?) even going as far as to de-humanize Ichijo in the last episode because he was a soldier.

Speaking of Ichijo, I am glad he didn't act like a total shit when the Major died, that would have been some annoying melodrama.
Apr 13, 2015 10:58 AM

Jul 2013
Dang. I wasn't expecting another death so soon. Kinda feeling rushed.
May 19, 2015 9:42 PM

Mar 2014
We didn't get destroyed by the massive explosion... because we were at the center of the massive explosion. #Macross
May 19, 2015 9:44 PM

Mar 2014
sojikai said:
I think that the real significance of Hikaru hanging up on Minmay, and how things are going between the two in general, is that Minmay, in a way, represents Hikaru before he became an officer in the military. Back in the beginning of the series, he was an arrogant hot-shot who would brag about how many amateur flying competitions he won. It was while he still he had this mindset that he first met Minmay, who very much shared his naivete. While Hikaru quickly realizes that he is not as great as he once thought he was, Minmay is allowed to continue to live in her fantasies despite the war. I think part of why his relationship with Minmay is getting rather rocky is that she reminds him so much of himself, and he has come to realize that he cannot continue to be who he once was.

Great analysis.
Aug 25, 2015 5:16 AM

May 2013
I really liked the scene where Hayase and Hikaru were talking, looking at the sunset. The music really set an interesting mood too.

Never particularly liked Kakizaki but it's sad to see him go. He was an irreplaceable part of the squad, another character that played a huge role like Focker. RIP.

That scene where Hikaru hung up the phone on Minmay was great. While I liked what sojikai said about this scene, I feel like it's more simple. That Hikaru realizes that they live in completely seperate worlds after having two of his friends die. That the relationship that he wants with Minmay is impossible.
Oct 20, 2015 1:51 AM

Aug 2013
Kaifun is an idiot.
Nov 11, 2015 4:59 AM

Jan 2014
Kakizaki is dead
Nov 15, 2015 7:30 PM
Nov 2015
Another great episode. Kakazaki's death again came out of the blue. I watched Robotech back in the day but don't actually remember him dying, not that it was a shock - it had been foreshadowed since his first episode.

The hanging up on Minmay was great, took a really good episode over the top into absolute excellence.
Nov 30, 2015 5:49 PM
Dec 2014
Bunji said:

Yeah I don't like war and believe it should be avoided as much as possible. But I'm not a pacifist. Terrorists and hostile alien races need to be wiped out.
Nov 30, 2015 5:58 PM
Dec 2014
Ofcourse how could I forget?

Our Canadian brothers and sisters ate pineapple salad for dinner.
Ontario is pretty rural iirc outside Toronto so hopefully not too many dead.
Jan 9, 2016 11:24 PM

Feb 2013
tfw when my home province got fucked up and Kakizaki is kill

this is not OK
Jun 8, 2017 1:22 PM

Apr 2014
These last two episodes had quite the different tone.
Oct 20, 2017 6:26 AM

Nov 2016
One after another,now Kakizaki...

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 23, 2017 11:01 PM

Feb 2014
Does that braindead hippie even know what's going on? The military is defending the earth and his moronic ass from an alien invasion, not indulging some senseless war.

And glad Hikaru hung up on that airhead. He finally realized just how one-sided their "relationship" is.
Jan 13, 2018 9:58 AM

Sep 2013
Never thought this show would've done two character deaths back-to-back. Granted they weren't super important main characters, but still
Sep 12, 2019 12:40 PM

Feb 2012
Well, no chance of the Earth taking them in now..

You'd might sound rational Kaifun if this was wasn't so one-sided, why would anyone in their right minds give up against a warrior race with thousands of thousands of ships?

WHY DID YOU HANG UP HIKARU?

Showing the nature of war yet again.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 26, 2020 10:43 AM

Feb 2017
Damn, didn't expect another major death so soon after Focker. RIP Kakizaki.

I am confident Max and Milia will fall in love somehow.
May 6, 2020 7:18 AM
Sep 2019
SO satisfying to see Hikaru hang up on Minmay, and even more frustrating that she just giggled and went back to reading. She literally could not care about him less, my god I hope something happens that completely change her character cause right now I hate her with a passion - and I can't respect Hikaru for pursuing someone who blows him off every chance she gets.

On another note things are getting real, very curious to see where we'll go from here.
Jul 13, 2020 6:12 AM

Aug 2017
Press F for Kakizaki. He was the least interesting member of the team anyway. Max confirmed Christian?

Also, imagine hating Kaifun with Bright's voice lol. Pacifists exist, Kaifun acts according to this character trait of his, what's the problem?

That music during the last scene... Nice harmonica!

P.S. Was it the first time Hikaru put on his pilot glasses?

P.P.S. What happened to Milia?
St0rmbladeJul 13, 2020 7:08 AM
Dec 14, 2021 4:23 PM

Jun 2015
Best episode so far. The scene where he hangs up on Minmay was absolutely amazing. She doesn't care that much about him, Hikaru's just a Kaifun replacement when he's not there. And finally he started to realize how shallow their relationship is. AND THE FACT THAT SHE JUST LAUGHS AND CONTINUES READING AFTER THAT just confirms it. Perfectly accurate description of Minmay's character. And the fact that I experience this just after I went through something similar (without the war with aliens part) makes it even more impactful for me. Also it can be noted that he felt disillusioned with her because one of his friends and teammates died, just after his senpai and reality hits him hard while Minmay only cares about her idol career. It's a really tough moment for Hikaru..
DeathTheKid4Dec 14, 2021 7:26 PM
Fortune favours the bold!

Sep 10, 2022 9:51 AM
Jan 2015
So much death. back to space
Sep 16, 9:33 AM
May 2021
The first ten episodes were hard to watch and pretty boring but I like how it is going. Actually, the relationships between characcters feel consistent, and here we can see what doesn't work between Hikaru and Minmay, the latter being pretty selfish not having time to see Hikaru when he was hospitalized (not helped by her job) but asking for him to come for selfish reasons even though he lost two persons he was close to (she didn't know tho). It's more and more understandable to expect Hikaru to get closer to Hayase

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veethorn - Oct 7, 2009

58 by Nicoman- »»
Oct 13, 12:28 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 29 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 7, 2009

33 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 19, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starseeker - Feb 15, 2009

72 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 26 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 6, 2009

38 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 9:28 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 25 Discussion

starseeker - Feb 14, 2009

46 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 8:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.