Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Somari and the Guardian of the Forest
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 12, 2020 11:20 AM
Jun 2010
Death is a part of life. Somewhat disappointed with the cop-out ending.

They (author/production) didn't want to leave viewers feeling bad, so they left the primary issue of Golem's lifespan completely unaddressed. Golem, or the demons, STILL didn't tell Somali the truth. That was the number one dramatic, character-building scene I was waiting for. A mistake not to tell her, I think, but a understandable one. Would have been nice to see the repercussions of that choice though...

Lot of wasted potential, because they doubled on the cutesy stuff and left most of the deeper issues on a very superficial level. Meh... I was expecting a little bit more from this, rather than just a as-simple-as-they-get story of finding "love" and appreciating your bonds with others.

Lovely visuals though. The scenery, the colours were awesome, can't get this stuff in a non-fantasy setting.
Apr 13, 2020 5:35 AM
Apr 2019
Hmm i kind of want to score it 8 but i found Somali voice kinda annoying sometime.. and the ending was just aight so maybe 7 is more appropriate

Well golem and oni clan carrried this show for sure..
Apr 17, 2020 6:03 PM

Oct 2013
9 out of 10 for me. I too cried black tears.
Apr 20, 2020 2:23 PM
Feb 2020
I don't care who things what. I cried a lot and love it so much... Forever in my heart <3
Apr 24, 2020 9:34 PM

Jul 2019
Simply an anime that surprises every moment, with its sweet and even distressing theme at times. A unique experience to watch this anime, if there is no second season this is fine. For this work is complete for those who get involved with it.
Apr 25, 2020 6:25 PM

Jan 2019
Wow what an ending. Such a heart felt show about a father and daughter. Also the OP was great.
Apr 27, 2020 4:40 PM
Jul 2018
Good show let down by the fact it didn't have enough source material to adapt to get a proper ending.

Makes me think the show should have leaned hard into the fact that the Golem's actions weren't actually what Somali wanted without setting up a wider story that would never get properly resolved.
Apr 30, 2020 5:51 PM
Dec 2014
Think this is such an underrated anime. I'm surprised it hasn't reached over the 8/10 mark.

Somali is so cute, might just be my fondness for anime kids but I really loved her from the start. She's so peppy and I absolutely adore her horned cloak.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about how this shows humans as bad. I mean Somali is proof that they're not all bad, same with the kid that the librarian saved.

I do agree though that maybe the pacing changed a bit too quickly towards the end though which is a shame. Makes me wonder if they don't plan on doing a season 2 and just wanted to wrap things up.

Love for Somali and her Dad tho.

Definitely didn't cry at the end there lol.
Apr 30, 2020 8:19 PM

Dec 2015
I think this show was lost between being a cutesy kid friendly show and being dark themed i would love to see more of the dark tone maybe a kid would enjoy the kid friendly feel more.
Anyway great idea great world but the writer was kinda lost between dark and kid friendly...
May 6, 2020 9:36 PM

Dec 2017
I cried so much to this anime, I feel so bad it's ending.. Never getting used to this feeling. But I felt so happy watching it that it kind of balance things out..(no idea if im being clear).
I guess we see each other in 4-5 years for season 2, if it ever happens ! Meanwhile, manga here I come..
teisseireMay 6, 2020 9:52 PM
May 11, 2020 11:18 AM

Jun 2015
so the show surprisingly had a happy end, at least for now. It would have been very heart breaking to see Golem-san die and leave Somali behind.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
May 12, 2020 3:34 AM

Aug 2018
This show wasn't very good to be honest. it would have been so much better if it had been a little more subtle with the themes it was trying to get across instead of literally saying everything out loud. Animation quality was low and Somali didn't really act like a child so much as a caricature of one. The character design was quite nice so that's a point in it's favor.

I gave it a very generous 7/10 because it's heart was in the right place at least...
May 19, 2020 9:43 AM
Apr 2015
The series was great. I gave it an 8/10. The ending was meh...Throughout the series the anime kept pulling at those emotional strings and I expected the ending to be powerful knockout punch of emotions. I mentally prepped myself waiting for moment of death and cut to an older Somali patching up the human-demihuman relations but when the time came it was like a soda without the fizzle, It fell flat. However the anime as a whole is something I would recommend to someone who is into this sort of thing. Its not action packed but it kept me entertained throughout the series sprinkling a little action here and there while tugging on those emotions.
May 25, 2020 12:12 PM

Nov 2008
Very wholesome and imaginative show about three 'dads' and their kid towards the end. xD I really like the oni chars though so it was good to bring them back. I guess they can be her godparents if Golem Dad has limited time. D:

Definitely gonna read the manga....

May 28, 2020 10:14 AM

Jun 2013
It's a cute show if you can look past the dark underlying theme of human persecution, enslavement and consumption. But I guess it maybe necessary for the plot. Anyways the relationship between Somali and Golem is the main reason why this show is interesting and enjoyable. And with the last episode you can tell the Golem is becoming more human despite being depicted as robot like creatures. But considering the Golem's remaining life span this might have a sad ending.
Jun 5, 2020 10:05 PM
Oct 2019
Loved this series. It was both incredibly heart-warming and sad. 9/10 overall

Somali is crazy adorable. She's so innocent and pure and cheery. Her facial expressions and mannerisms are delightful, and her English voice actor nailed it.

I expected an incredibly sad ending with Golem dying. But I guess he didn't. Either way, unless they find some magic cure to save him, he's dead soon anyways. Him telling Somali at the end he'll always be with her, for as long as he can, even if it's as a spirit... Wow, I just now understood the title of the series. The forest Golem dies and becomes a forest spirit. Derp.

I want to know what happens to Somali. Does she find humans? Does she live with those two guys the rest of her life (since Golem is going to die)? Is she constantly being human-hunted? Does her personality allow her to chip away at the human's persecution one town at a time? Would it still "hit" the right emotional notes without Golem? Would Somali even be as happy and lovable without Golem, or might she more introverted and depressed?

These all sound like excellent reasons to do a second season. I'd watch.

Lasty, the OP was perfect for this show.
Jun 6, 2020 6:04 PM

Feb 2012
Somali come on don't protect the f**ing auntie.
That ending was kinda feely but i expected worst.
Couldn't help it but have some tears tho knowing it's going to end soon.

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

Jun 9, 2020 6:28 PM

Apr 2015
disclaimer: not reading the manga
-
i was preparing myself for the worse so i honestly didn't see this happy ending coming but overall i really enjoyed this anime

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Jun 23, 2020 5:51 AM
Jan 2020
It made me cry so bad
Jun 24, 2020 4:04 PM

Jun 2016
Wait, wait, wait. I'm confused. Why did Golem try to leave Somali? Did I miss something? I feel like it was never expressly stated. Was it because he didn't want her to see him die? He told her it was because he lost control, but I don't feel like that's the real reason...or is it? I'm so confused!
"The coexistence of diverse political values is the essence of democracy."

Aug 1, 2020 11:15 PM

Feb 2019
A great ending to a great series. Sad that so far there hasn't been a second season announced.

I assume this was a conclusion exclusive to the anime. I definitely have to pick up the manga now. For all its greats, the ending wasn't really an ending to the story but rather to a chapter of sorts.

8/10.
Aug 25, 2020 3:45 AM

Oct 2019
I feel like the manga for this would be really good.
I thought that the story overall was nice but scene-by-scene it was a bit lacklustre.

The ending was pretty open-ended. Does this mean that there is a possibility of a season two?

--

👏 hyped for 2022 lockdown 👏
👏 all good things come in threes 👏

- - ✽ - -
Aug 31, 2020 2:18 AM

Jul 2015
Heartwarming journey with human daughter Somali and Golem dad in this dangerous yet beautiful world where they meet some great friends who help them. Hopefully one day we get a next season where we see Somali and Golem's wholesome smiles again.

Sep 13, 2020 10:38 AM

Sep 2007
So in the end golem dad managed to break out of his logic chains and embrace his emotions instead. Even though the viewers already knew he is not emotionless throughout the journey it is heartwarming to see him finally follow his heart instead of the logic that he only knew for nearly a millennia. Last scene hit so hard it went right through the heart and tears were shed. Top notch to say the least.
Oct 17, 2020 10:59 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Magebane said:
Death is a part of life. Somewhat disappointed with the cop-out ending.

They (author/production) didn't want to leave viewers feeling bad, so they left the primary issue of Golem's lifespan completely unaddressed. Golem, or the demons, STILL didn't tell Somali the truth. That was the number one dramatic, character-building scene I was waiting for. A mistake not to tell her, I think, but a understandable one. Would have been nice to see the repercussions of that choice though...

Lot of wasted potential, because they doubled on the cutesy stuff and left most of the deeper issues on a very superficial level. Meh... I was expecting a little bit more from this, rather than just a as-simple-as-they-get story of finding "love" and appreciating your bonds with others.

Lovely visuals though. The scenery, the colours were awesome, can't get this stuff in a non-fantasy setting.

I found garden of words had some beautiful art (set in the city) but, for the most part, it's definitely hard to find this kind of beauty on modern settings! OR at least the constant consistently beautiful scenes..

Nov 8, 2020 4:24 AM
May 2020
I SEE SOMALI AND TOUSAN HAVE DIFFERENT APPEARANCE IN THE END!!!

Is it means this anime will have another season? (maybe not)
I just can hope...............
EruvaNyanOct 24, 2022 6:00 AM
Dec 18, 2020 9:11 AM

Nov 2019
Is there any hope this will get second season?
Dec 28, 2020 3:47 AM

Jul 2019
IHateBoredom said:
Is there any hope this will get second season?

There's probably no hope for a second season now. The manga just ended (after a long hiatus) due to the author's poor health and there is not enough source material for a second season.
HeyItzSteveDec 28, 2020 3:55 AM
Feb 27, 2021 1:27 PM

Mar 2010
I cried so hard!! What a sweet ending and a truly beautiful anime. I hope that Somali and Golem-san will be together forever😭❤️

Mar 5, 2021 10:30 AM

Aug 2018
I was kinda hoping Golem would die so the anime can feel completed. Now that he didn't die the anime is not complete, they have yet to complete their journey or find humans for Somali to live with. Oh well, good anime. I also think that when Golem does die that Shizuno and Yabashira will take good care of Somali, they are good people.

Mar 27, 2021 9:22 PM

May 2018
Golem is best dad! Guess I’ll read the manga now.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Apr 3, 2021 11:48 AM

Sep 2012
Amatniki said:
I was kinda hoping Golem would die so the anime can feel completed. Now that he didn't die the anime is not complete, they have yet to complete their journey or find humans for Somali to live with. Oh well, good anime. I also think that when Golem does die that Shizuno and Yabashira will take good care of Somali, they are good people.

or get miracle cure to fix him
Apr 7, 2021 5:09 AM

Feb 2020
Very sad ending. :(

Overall, I enjoyed this a show a lot. It was much better and more emotional than I expected. The bond between Mr. Golem and Somali was so heartwarming. Best dad ever.

The animation also looked great.

SerafosJan 30, 2:27 AM
May 14, 2021 11:09 PM
Dec 2018
Now I'm thinking why I didn't watch it while airing? Anyways, it was a good show it has great worldbuilding had a decent soundtrack. Somali is so adorable. The ending wasn't impactful and I never shed a tear and it was kinda predictable but I still enjoyed the show.
8/10. I already have heard the news regarding the author's health that his/her manga was discontinued. Hoping for his/her good recovery.
Jun 17, 2021 12:25 PM

Jun 2019
My 77th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Aug 10, 2021 6:38 PM
Oct 2020
I hope the main goal of the next season is to find someone to repair the golem. That can be stacked with other existing goals, like trying to find humans.
Aug 25, 2021 8:03 PM

Aug 2011
I'm not crying?!?! Goddamn this was so good. I wish more fathers could've been like Golem
desu desu binches
Sep 14, 2021 6:15 AM
Aug 2020
Why open ending hoping for the real ending for me
Sep 18, 2021 10:18 PM
Jul 2021
stanleybato said:
Why open ending hoping for the real ending for me

I think I read that the Manga is cancelled, but seriously SOOOO Angry those SAVAGES who were about to rip an adorable child to shreds weren't BUTCHERED. Honestly when his eyes lit up I wanted to see Goblin Slayer levels of brutality, or at least see it off screen. That dropped the Anime a lot of points for me, I get that the theme is relationship between the races, BUT brutal child killers are brutal child killers regardless of what they are. They SHOULD have gotten killed and it makes me so angry that they went no killing with those scumbags.
Jan 9, 2022 1:11 AM
Aug 2012
very educative series, which even adults should watch to avoid being rejudiced and to accept people , creatures, events of all kinds with our minds and hearts not with the eyes only! What a hug in the end, I was deeply moved by this moment. The final episode did show us that family it's not about the blood, it's about connection between two.
Mar 3, 2022 7:28 AM
Mar 2022
damn Im glad I found and watch this eventho its ald quite late..everytime Somali cry got me ughh..this is soo beautifull absolutely 10/10..I wanna know what happen afterwards but it seems like the manga got cancelled :')
Dec 17, 2022 6:54 AM

Dec 2008
As my generation gets on in years, it makes sense that more and more shows about kids being looked after and raised by a parental figure have become more popular. In fact, they have become popular withpeople whom are not even parents or expecting, but they just appeal to a lot of folks. Theres a time and a place for realism, and a time and a place for suspension of disbelief. This anime kidna tried to do both. ANd though it had elements that were eye catching, enjoyable, entertaining nad mildly thought provoking, it all didnt really pan out except in a hollow quasi " happily ever after" type of ending. And I get that the author had health issues, hence why the mange went un finished and dropped, so that the anime could not continue its tale with even more episodes let alone a 2nd season...
Yet after that hopeful open ended finish, its best to just let it lie for now. Perhaps there shall be a sequel in 2 or 3 years. 6/10 for the bits of cuteness, humor, and basically showing a fantasy world where the humans lost, were eaten up almost entirely, and the monsters have taken over. WHERES THE DEMON LORD AND HERO A? lol :P
May 17, 2023 3:12 AM

Oct 2022
I don't hate the ending, its just not as satisfying. Though it is concise without the need for another season.
Oct 13, 2023 4:03 AM

Jul 2014
Great anime, great ending. I totally didnt expect it to be better than a standard child care anime but it proved me wrong. The relationship between Golem and Somali was very wholesome, but the word “wholesome” wasnt always the case since at some point we got a huge MiA vibes there that surely caught me off guard. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it , especially the witch town and the desert arc , they were amazing and surely leveled up the standard

9/10(I think I have something for child care anime where I end up giving 8+ rating every time lol). I know the manga is discontinued due to the mangaka’s health but I would definitely hope it is back someday, i’ll definitely watch a sequel
Nov 14, 2023 7:14 AM

Apr 2020
Really liked it.
Sadly it seems nearly impossible for it to have a sequel.
8/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Jan 26, 4:22 PM
Mar 2020
very cute loved it
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

67 by Anarcxh »»
Mar 2, 8:00 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2020

68 by phantom346 »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2020

114 by Muow »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:38 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

kuuderes_shadow - Oct 25, 2019

205 by Muow »»
Dec 26, 2023 6:36 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2020

77 by GingZ »»
Oct 11, 2023 3:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.