Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 20, 2018 5:00 PM

Jun 2009
I feel like some fans think the new anime is pointless since the OVAs did a good job on adapting the novels. Remaking the original with bright colors in HD to appeal to younger people feels like a waste of time to me.
Apr 23, 2018 10:53 AM

Oct 2013
Having standards is not being toxic.
Apr 23, 2018 4:49 PM

Dec 2010
dc22 said:
Having standards is not being toxic.

You know other people have things like opinions that are different from yours I have no interest in the old version just because people like this version does not mean that they do not have good standards. I have no idea what your problem is with the first episode it was really good way better than most other currently airing things.
Apr 23, 2018 6:36 PM

Oct 2016
oh whatever it's shit anyways
Apr 23, 2018 7:33 PM

Mar 2017
The character designs/visuals make this an extremely hard watch imo. It's poorly done and makes the show unwatchable for me. Everything else seems fine, but not as good as the original OVA. Which is expected.

I don't really hate it, but also can't really enjoy it as someone who is just watching/watched the original. The Designs/changes just bug me.
Brandon2149Apr 23, 2018 7:39 PM
Apr 23, 2018 7:48 PM

Nov 2008
I'm an old guard fan of LoGH and after seeing the preview and the character design I was ready to hate the new series. However, after watching the first episode, I think the hate isn't warranted. This isn't Berserk level of bad adaptation or other bad remakes of beloved series.

It may be not perfect or not what we wanted, but it's far from that IMO. I think it's a respectful adaptation that acknowledge the original and at the same time is trying to be it's own thing. It may not do it well at first, but I see potential. I think even the original didn't get all things right during the first season. What it is important is to get the important parts right and just judging from the first episode, it did well.

Yeah, sure I'm not 100% sold on the redesign of some of the characters and voice needs some time to get used to. Still that's just not the most important part.

I believe this is the LoGH for the new generation, not really for me (although I think it is respectful for old fans like me) and I think it's delivering. Dunno if I will have my final opinion after this season, but if they can slowly improve and keep adding more season, I'd say the negativity is really not warranted. It's just the age of being outraged by non-issue and having extreme opinions happening thing.

We can't have moderated opinions. I don't think it may get to Yamato remake level of goodness, but I do hope it gets close to it.
Eo tempore, cum tibi occuri,
Mihi vita laeta fuit,
Cum autem te nusquam conspexi,
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Apr 23, 2018 8:42 PM

Apr 2014
CoreFinder said:
They are just jealous of the fact that normies are also able to get taste of this holy series so their tactic is to down-vote the remake and make the newcomers look like fools for watching it.

this guy hit the nail right on its head
Apr 24, 2018 8:07 AM

Jun 2011
Halkenburg said:
Teerack said:

There's so much that has to get set up before the story really starts taking flight. I remember it being like that with the original too. I kind of wonder what the original would've been rated after 3 episodes.

Exactly... the beginning is really slow and solid, took about 20 episodes or something like that to things get serious
Apr 24, 2018 8:33 AM

Jan 2014
the original OVA is my number 1 favorite anime of all time, but this one is pretty great.
the thing about those toxic people is that they're too paranoid that their "sekrit" anime will be well known to casuals. They'll just nitpick every single thing they don't like and treat it like it's an abomination from hell.

also it's a good thing that this remake sells pretty well so far.

Teerack said:
Like is this anything like the original? because that show was so famous and highly rated

yes, this isn't really different from the original.
so i guess you won't like the original too.

Apr 24, 2018 10:05 AM
Apr 2016
Does it matter why they are angry at others in the internet? It is the value of the series that matters. If the value is there, and it is great, then you appreciate it, and sometimes try to defend it if someone dares to tarnish, diminish the dignity of it.
If there is no value/you can't see it, you either criticize/slander the series, or leave it be. This cycle is repeated again and again and again in every forum, every discussion, every commentary and input. And you are, like, "Y iS tHeM sO tOxIc?" Must be BECAUSE THEIR Ph IS HIGHER THAN 7 (I got 4 out of 5 for chemistry because my family was acquainted with the teacher)
TyroneHayes said:
As someone who started watching the readaptation and then started watching the OVA, I can confidently say that the readaptation feels a lot more shallow on many layers. Not saying it's bad in any way, but I definitely understand why OVA fans dislike it.

See, and I greatly disagree with you. This series is not anyhow shallow, and if the previous series was even greater than this, then why would it ever be re-mastered? There is a breach in theory.
Re:formed
Apr 24, 2018 1:42 PM
Apr 2016
TyroneHayes said:
Daniel_Naumov said:
This series is not anyhow shallow, and if the previous series was even greater than this, then why would it ever be re-mastered? There is a breach in theory.

Don't really enjoy arguing on the Internet so this is all I'm gonna say:

1. I wasn't saying it's shallow, I meant it simply feels a lot more shallow than the OVA, meaning that it is my early impression I'm quite confident of. Take some English/reading classes and then we'll continue this conversation.

2. Honestly, I don't wanna talk out of my ass like you did there, so I'd suppose that both the art/animation as well as the voice acting and representation are too old-fashioned to be appreciated by the mainstream in modern times. Plus, the OVA didn't follow the novel too closely. Those seem like some good reasons for a readaptation.
Chaotic_beauty said:
I'm not especially fond of the original LogG, but I can say one thing. People who use word "toxic" in a social context need to be deprived of oxygen. Permanently. This is even worse than the abuse of *literally*

The reception of the new series is actually better than I expected it would be.

Literally toxic cringe, my children.
Apr 25, 2018 3:27 AM

Nov 2014
Telling other people that's it's wrong to view things a certain way seems even more elitist to me, as for things being "toxic" isn't that just a buzzword for "people who don't all share my opinion" If people hate this show for whatever reason then why should you care? just ignore the posts you don't find useful and you will find all the "toxicity" disappear. They're just words on the internet, they can't hurt you, they can't make you angry unless you let them so you really shouldn't be letting them rustle your jimmies.

I really can't stand that stupid buzzword.
Forum Signature
Apr 25, 2018 5:34 AM

Jul 2012
At this point, comparing them content-wise, they pretty much covered equivalently well the things they should have, all of the relevant information is in there, and even some expanded bits different for each of the approaches. particularly, putting some El Facil content in the remake was a really cool touch for Wenli's introduction (and something we would only properly touch much later, not to mention being more of a side story material from the books which complements pretty nicely his characterization this early on).

Some scenes were otherwise better executed in the first series, like the delicated presentation of the drama behind Reinhard's backstory and his inner feelings toward it (very subtle, too. a thing the OVAs did the best with its elements... sometimes a bit too subtle).

I would say that at least the first two episodes were better than what we equivalently got in the first OVA episode, while still being far inferior to the movie expansion of the first 2 OVA episodes.

This reimagining is going really nicely thus far in, extremely faithful to the book (any watcher of the old series who happened to read the book series will know how much the series would modify things from the books, for better or not, as they expanded many elements of it, while also not going through with much depth at some other points).

Chimerared said:
Telling other people that's it's wrong to view things a certain way seems even more elitist to me, as for things being "toxic" isn't that just a buzzword for "people who don't all share my opinion" If people hate this show for whatever reason then why should you care? just ignore the posts you don't find useful and you will find all the "toxicity" disappear. They're just words on the internet, they can't hurt you, they can't make you angry unless you let them so you really shouldn't be letting them rustle your jimmies.

Agreed. This kind of people are something plagging every discussion about this new series I participate... And it isn't really about "my above stated opinion is superior", they barely elaborate an opinion to begin with, most of them are one liners too lol

How about people compare them properly and posting in detail comparisons of what they liked or disliked about both series, instead of going for a shallow "it's rushed", "it sucks", "hurdur character design is so gay" (this one is particularly hilarious, as the old series is SO MUCH GAYER in every aspect of interaction thus far), "the remake did better", "the old series is trash cuz animation is limited", "old series is boring cuz not enough pewpewpew action", much like what I'm hearing the most in the forums thus far.

All I hear from said determined people is either flat criticism/overpraising/cherrypicking for any of the two, or name calling/similars (because yeah, ad hominem is what the entitled "elitists" in any of the sides like to do the most, I'm in the fanbase long enough to be through with this bullshit... or maybe that's just what MAL became in general at this point).

Call me a hypocrite for name calling them if you want (not the first time in this very thread), but I have at least given a proper "the reason you suck" argument beforehand, which should be the basis of any valid criticism you may want to introduce in a discussion in this community (not to mention always inserting proper "discussion material" just before too, you know, the bare minimum you should do while discussing the series).

Have a positive/negative/mixed opinion? Share it properly pointing out why is that so, and create a nice discussion surrounding it. You people derailing the thread solely going into personal insults is one of the things makes the fandom of any series toxic anyway. Might as well call a forum mod to lock this thread sooner or later.
Apr 25, 2018 7:02 AM
Apr 2016
Danpmss said:
At this point, comparing them content-wise, they pretty much covered equivalently well the things they should have, all of the relevant information is in there, and even some expanded bits different for each of the approaches. particularly, putting some El Facil content in the remake was a really cool touch for Wenli's introduction (and something we would only properly touch much later, not to mention being more of a side story material from the books which complements pretty nicely his characterization this early on).

Some scenes were otherwise better executed in the first series, like the delicated presentation of the drama behind Reinhard's backstory and his inner feelings toward it (very subtle, too. a thing the OVAs did the best with its elements... sometimes a bit too subtle).

I would say that at least the first two episodes were better than what we equivalently got in the first OVA episode, while still being far inferior to the movie expansion of the first 2 OVA episodes.

This reimagining is going really nicely thus far in, extremely faithful to the book (any watcher of the old series who happened to read the book series will know how much the series would modify things from the books, for better or not, as they expanded many elements of it, while also not going through with much depth at some other points).

Chimerared said:

Agreed. This kind of people are something plagging every discussion about this new series I participate... And it isn't really about "my above stated opinion is superior", they barely elaborate an opinion to begin with, most of them are one liners too lol

How about people compare them properly and posting in detail comparisons of what they liked or disliked about both series, instead of going for a shallow "it's rushed", "it sucks", "hurdur character design is so gay" (this one is particularly hilarious, as the old series is SO MUCH GAYER in every aspect of interaction thus far), "the remake did better", "the old series is trash cuz animation is limited", "old series is boring cuz not enough pewpewpew action", much like what I'm hearing the most in the forums thus far.

All I hear from said determined people is either flat criticism/overpraising/cherrypicking for any of the two, or name calling/similars (because yeah, ad hominem is what the entitled "elitists" in any of the sides like to do the most, I'm in the fanbase long enough to be through with this bullshit... or maybe that's just what MAL became in general at this point).

Call me a hypocrite for name calling them if you want (not the first time in this very thread), but I have at least given a proper "the reason you suck" argument beforehand, which should be the basis of any valid criticism you may want to introduce in a discussion in this community (not to mention always inserting proper "discussion material" just before too, you know, the bare minimum you should do while discussing the series).

Have a positive/negative/mixed opinion? Share it properly pointing out why is that so, and create a nice discussion surrounding it. You people derailing the thread solely going into personal insults is one of the things makes the fandom of any series toxic anyway. Might as well call a forum mod to lock this thread sooner or later.

When the "opinion" just goes "eeeeey dis be bad, you like it? u retard TRUMPVOTER" then yes, it may be disregarded as mental waste of some grey mass internet users. But, as you mentioned, elaborate opinions on matters stop being opinions if they are either proved, or disproved. There are guidelines, and there are borders. If I see a piece of digital crap before my weary two eyes, fathom it with my two brainhalfs, any of your attempts to hide behind "ItS yOuR oPiNiOn!" will be dismissed as irresponsibility and you will be labeled immature as art viewers. Such is the theory.
Apr 25, 2018 9:55 AM

Jul 2012
Daniel_Naumov said:
Danpmss said:

When the "opinion" just goes "eeeeey dis be bad, you like it? u retard TRUMPVOTER" then yes, it may be disregarded as mental waste of some grey mass internet users. But, as you mentioned, elaborate opinions on matters stop being opinions if they are either proved, or disproved. There are guidelines, and there are borders. If I see a piece of digital crap before my weary two eyes, fathom it with my two brainhalfs, any of your attempts to hide behind "ItS yOuR oPiNiOn!" will be dismissed as irresponsibility and you will be labeled immature as art viewers. Such is the theory.

Except you are being a hypocrite here, and doing the very same thing you are criticizing people of doing.

Someone says:
"As someone who started watching the readaptation and then started watching the OVA, I can confidently say that the readaptation feels a lot more shallow on many layers. Not saying it's bad in any way, but I definitely understand why OVA fans dislike it."

Very lightly delivered opinion, lacking some elaboration, but fair enough point of view, many people would opt for the classical music driven very slow and subtle storytelling, full of ridiculous yet charmy 80s future technology of the first adaptation, instead of the epic futuristically accurate (for our standards in our present day, at least) fully reanimated in Full HD with lots of pewpewpews remake. The approach for character presentation in the original is a lot more hammy and overdramatic at times, but also very poetically crafted when it wants to (see Reinhard's past in both versions).

I can see many people loving the first version for its odd charms, and also many people who would opt for a more straight to the point and "fast paced" (not really, it's just that the OVAs took their good time expanding some other stuff out of the books) action heavy space opera. Both versions so far are pretty awesome yet peculiarly different adaptations of the same source material.

Yet, you answered with:

"Does it matter why they are angry at others in the internet? It is the value of the series that matters. If the value is there, and it is great, then you appreciate it, and sometimes try to defend it if someone dares to tarnish, diminish the dignity of it.
If there is no value/you can't see it, you either criticize/slander the series, or leave it be. This cycle is repeated again and again and again in every forum, every discussion, every commentary and input. And you are, like, "Y iS tHeM sO tOxIc?" Must be BECAUSE THEIR Ph IS HIGHER THAN 7 (I got 4 out of 5 for chemistry because my family was acquainted with the teacher)

*The above mentioned quote*

See, and I greatly disagree with you. This series is not anyhow shallow, and if the previous series was even greater than this, then why would it ever be re-mastered? There is a breach in theory.

You assumed things instead of asking the "why is that so", instead making a nonsensical regard that has little to do with his opinion (most of the stuff which gains remakes -and not a "remaster", that's a completely different thing- is precisely for the opposite reason, such as modernize the to new audiences and give the older one a new spin in their beloved series, not to necessarily "fix problems"), and more about why is this remake even a thing, missing the point. In any case, here's no theory in here to be broken or have holes on it, it's as simple as that.

Well, nevermind that, as the guy who quoted had the decency of further elaborating is does he think it's that so:

"Don't really enjoy arguing on the Internet so this is all I'm gonna say:

1. I wasn't saying it's shallow, I meant it simply feels a lot more shallow than the OVA, meaning that it is my early impression I'm quite confident of. Take some English/reading classes and then we'll continue this conversation.

2. Honestly, I don't wanna talk out of my ass like you did there, so I'd suppose that both the art/animation as well as the voice acting and representation are too old-fashioned to be appreciated by the mainstream in modern times. Plus, the OVA didn't follow the novel too closely. Those seem like some good reasons for a readaptation."

And there goes your counter(?) argument, and how mister criticism full of himself like you respond to that?... Oh wait, let me quote what you just said above before I commit an unfair ad hominem myself:

"When the "opinion" just goes "eeeeey dis be bad, you like it? u retard TRUMPVOTER" then yes, it may be disregarded as mental waste of some grey mass internet users. But, as you mentioned, elaborate opinions on matters stop being opinions if they are either proved, or disproved. There are guidelines, and there are borders. If I see a piece of digital crap before my weary two eyes, fathom it with my two brainhalfs, any of your attempts to hide behind "ItS yOuR oPiNiOn!" will be dismissed as irresponsibility and you will be labeled immature as art viewers. Such is the theory."

Now, continuing, after said person answered and elaborated very much properly an answer to your quote, what did you respond him with?

Literally toxic cringe, my children.

Yeah, not so different from the one liners you were "calling out" just now, you see. You are one of the people I would describe as a problem maker in these forums. To me, it seems you are the one very much intolerant to other opinion that doesn't suit your own, no matter how elaborated the answer is.

And as such, that's my last reply for you, I believe I prove my point (pretty sure it won't convince you anyway), and any further addendum to this would be very much derailing the thread (although, the theme of the thread is this very thing -not that it should belong in here anyway- it only causes unnecessary flame bait, since there ARE a lot of people in this community like that for real).
Apr 25, 2018 10:35 AM

Jul 2012
it sux bc every1 is a bishounnen :( i hate it when anime boys look handsome :(( i wish it was like the old 1
i want the old VAs :( miayno mamoru and suzumura ken suck because they're younger. ii like older VA oonly
Apr 25, 2018 12:49 PM
Apr 2016

Oh, forgive me, I did not mean to anyhow negatively affect you. Or them. Yeah...
Apr 25, 2018 6:59 PM

Feb 2018
memesaredreams said:

No, it's simplified and shortened down because it's 12 episodes, they needed to make sacrifices. Also I'm pretty sure the reason why they look younger is because the anime designer for Kuroko no Basuke is the lead character designer for this, so they all look like their 20 something.

Aren't they actually in their 20's at this point in the story though? So it's fitting...?

I met the devil and god
and couldn't tell them apart.
Apr 30, 2018 11:11 AM
Oct 2012
7.5 is a reasonable score though when you consider that other worse anime airing this season gets a higher one and people are being put off by the negativity it is a little bit annoying.
I wouldn't go as far as toxic I think its a very natural response which a lot of other fandoms have responded in the same way, the new desigins are unrecognisable from the original the aesthetics, music, feel and some of the details are missing, they're rejecting this out of a passion of the original.

I think most of them aren't being balanced there are some scenes this one does better, though for the most part I would agree the original is better, they're not judging this as a stand alone, but rather as a comparative. This series is still Legend of The Galactic Heroes, the writing, events and stuff which happens still does, if your a fan of the books this version should definitely appeal to you its actually closer than the original. Either way its hard not to get caught up on comparison as a stand alone show its one of the better anime in the season and I am really enjoying it, old Lotgh shouldn't get to caught up on the changes, as its own thing its pretty good so far.
May 13, 2018 1:17 AM

Jul 2013
Oh, calling a fandom toxic is a totally new spin on the typical "Why is my 10/10 anime rated so low at the first episode" every series gets.
May 13, 2018 4:55 AM

Mar 2017
Looking at all these comments just give me more laugh than I need. The LoGH remake is currently under the fire of not 2 but 3 types of haters.

1. The hardcore fanboys of the OVA who would never ever accept any remake as they follow the nostalgia path which means that anything in the modern age is considered trash.

2. The trolls lurking in the forum who has been waiting for a chance to bash LoGH franchise as a whole since it's rated high and far surpasses their favorites and they cannot watch the OVA due to the aged animation. And with the remake being heavily relied on CGI, it simply adds more fuel to their flamethrower.

3. The book elitists who will find flaws and say things like "this wasn't on the book!" or "this is not how it went in the book!" etc.

At any rate, you guys just keep heating the room, I'll just observe from afar and have more laugh at it XD.
May 14, 2018 11:00 PM

Mar 2015
2DEnthusiast said:
3. The book elitists who will find flaws and say things like "this wasn't on the book!" or "this is not how it went in the book!" etc.

I haven't read the books but @Danpmss seems to be saying that this new adaptation is more faithful to the books than the old one. So maybe elitists should be getting ahead of the curve and ascend to the highest level of the exploding brain meme, by being too snobbish for the less faithful OVA.

And as of now, based on the average ratings, your opinion is more special and unique if you love the new adaptation.
May 14, 2018 11:05 PM

Jul 2012
Halkenburg said:
2DEnthusiast said:

I haven't read the books but @Danpmss seems to be saying that this new adaptation is more faithful to the books than the old one. So maybe elitists should be getting ahead of the curve and ascend to the highest level of the exploding brain meme, by being too snobbish for the less faithful OVA.

And as of now, based on the average ratings, your opinion is more special and unique if you love the new adaptation.

To be fair, most of the "filler" content the OVAs added were nice expansions about the storyline. Funny enough, they covered some stuff in more details, even increased some of the characters screentime AND importance in the plot, but somehow, didn't quite adapt some other details, and straight took a bit too many liberties here and there with the presentation.

Concluding, the OVAs are still my "best animu ever made" material, but to say this new series is not holding on its own exceptionally well is pretty much a nitpicking at this point (the one thing I wasn't quite found of was the character designs, and this is something pretty much minimal).
May 15, 2018 4:08 AM
Dec 2017
LightSparker said:
Mormegil said:
Same thing happened with the Kino's Journey remake. People hate remakes.

Tell that to FMA:B or HxH(2011)

This, makes are good

i haven't seen the ova but i'd imagine after seeing this i'd think it's old and crappy, but that's my opinion as i hate old anime
May 15, 2018 4:55 AM

Sep 2014
Gabbatek said:
i haven't seen the ova but i'd imagine after seeing this i'd think it's old and crappy, but that's my opinion as i hate old anime

Sure it's old, crappy is hating something you haven't seen.

The truth is unfortunate to read this thread. I like old OVAs but I'm not going to waste my time saying it's better than the new version when that's so obvious. And it seems ridiculous to me if you call me elitist when I'm fucking fed up with defending Kuroko no Basket over Slam Dunk.
May 15, 2018 7:07 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I dislike the expression"toxic" It's overused and applied in situations where its not relevant. In any case, I don't think it applies to the LOGH fandom.

You want to see toxic? Spend some time in the Darling in the FranXX forums and bring some popcorn.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 15, 2018 9:05 AM
Jul 2014
And still it's not than toxic as the Fate/Stay Night fandom, lying constantly and bashing about DEEN adaptations. If there is any responses to this, i will not read it. I don't talk with repelent freaks.
May 15, 2018 9:06 AM

Sep 2017
Well,the only reason that I'm watching this remake is that i expect to see Reinhard naked,where is my fan service?
May 15, 2018 9:46 AM
Apr 2016
Farabeuf said:
I dislike the expression"toxic" It's overused and applied in situations where its not relevant. In any case, I don't think it applies to the LOGH fandom.

You want to see toxic? Spend some time in the Darling in the FranXX forums and bring some popcorn.

People without much intelligence luggage and moral foundation tend to simplify everything into the negative, as long as it serves them. By their vile tongues and crooked fingers will the words and beliefs be twisted lest they become repugnant themselves. The creation of humanity becomes its victim.
Also rednecks with unrestricted access to the internet yet restricted in their development. The source of both your complains.
May 16, 2018 6:49 PM

Oct 2008
I'm a huge fan of the original OVA, and I was shocked and annoyed when the score for Die Neue These after the first episode aired was around a 6. Too many people didn't even give it a chance and were just mad at the fact that it was a remake.

Some fans of the original were bashing Die Neue These for dumb reasons in the beginning but I hope some have given the remake a chance by now.

The reason I like remakes is because it brings attention back to the original. The original's fans should instead encourage new fans to watch the original if they like Die Neue These, not bash the remake (which is pretty good) which then turns off potential new fans from viewing the series in general at all.
Feb 27, 2021 6:53 AM

Sep 2020
they butthurt because lelouch on top and always whine about cg copy gayass,while their ova basically dethrone both season
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

13 by ItachiDeltaForce »»
Jul 11, 2:00 PM

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.