Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2009 2:43 AM
Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The true life of Lara Croft and Keroro Gunso :)
asandariJul 12, 2009 8:25 AM

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 26, 2009 8:12 AM

Jul 2007
it was quite disturbing and weird. in a good way.
great art and characters too.
i want a complete series of this. 13 eps or something.
May 31, 2009 4:07 AM

Feb 2008
The animation and direction are as expected good, but the narratives are quite weak in this one.
Jul 16, 2009 4:21 PM

Jun 2008
Wait, wasn't episode 5 "Dimension Bomb?" Anyway, I thought it was okay, but kind of lost me through some of it.
Jul 19, 2009 5:33 PM

May 2008
Okay, since I'm not certain what the viewing order for this was and because I don't really feel the need to make 5 posts, I'll just post all of my GPB thoughts here.

Dimension Bomb - Started off with this one and really liked it for a while until it started to drag in the middle. The end was good too, but by that point I was ready for it to be over since it really didn't need to be twenty minutes long.

Wanwa the Puppy - Didn't pay much attention to this really. The art was just way too gaudy.

Tojin Kit - I would like to think I'm not exaggerating when I say this may very well have been the worst short between both of the Genius Party films. The slow pacing made it painful to struggle through and there really didn't seem to be a point to it, at least from a, "why should people watch your masturbatory short animation?" standpoint.

Moondrive - Surprisingly my favorite of all of the GP stuff, albeit followed closely by Gala which definitely gets the honor for being the best directed (although Baby Blue was close). This was just a fast-paced, great looking, shounen-spoofing good time that I could watch over and over again. Considering Nakazawa also directed the excellent Kigeki I really hope he gets put in charge of directing some more shorts for Studio 4C since he seems to shine in that position.

Gala - I saved this for last because I had no doubts about whether Maeda would deliver and sure enough this was, from a critical standpoint, the best piece of animation in the GPB line-up and arguably the best between the two films. The part where the old man (who gives off some serious Master Yupa vibes) made the boy, girl, and cat musicians by bestowing them with Sonic the Hedgehog-esque power rings had me laughing while the climax was a thing of beauty. And of course, like many short animations, it ends with a nice little twist. Great stuff.

So yeah, overall the first Genius Party was probably better, but I liked Moondrive and Gala way more than anything except Baby Blue from the first.
Jul 24, 2009 4:10 PM

Mar 2009
Absolutely_Steve said:
Okay, since I'm not certain what the viewing order for this was and because I don't really feel the need to make 5 posts, I'll just post all of my GPB thoughts here.

I'm not quite sure about the order too, so I'll be following your example.
I've only watched 3/5 episodes so far, but I'll edit my post with thoughts on the other 2 episodes once I've finished them.

So far I agree with your comments Steve.
Dimension Bomb was nicely animated, but it took too long and they lost me on the story there.

I didn't like the art of Wanwa the Puppy either, so I can't comment on the content too.

I'm really with you on the slow pacing of Tojin Kit. That must've been about 2 minutes of that dead end hallway frame in the entire episode. Not good....
They stuck with the same frame for too long a few other times too.
As for the point.... 'toys are bad, trains kick ass' ?

Saving Moondrive and Gala for later.

Edit: watched the other 2 episodes too now.

Moondrive was great. Had me entertained and laughing all the way. The outcome was to be expected, but that made it all the better.

Gala felt like an epic story. So much happening so fast. And the ending was a nice twist indeed.
Paradox055Jul 27, 2009 3:24 PM
Jul 26, 2009 2:28 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
i'm talking about Dimension Bomb.

This was so awesome. One of the best shorts i've ever seen. Amazing animation.
p r o f i l e 👀
Aug 7, 2010 11:50 AM

Mar 2008
carouselNIP said:
even though i didn't get the story, i was stunned by the animation.

Same. Though I wasn't exactly concentrating that much at the storyline
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2010 9:46 AM

Feb 2010
Absolutely_Steve said:

Dimension Bomb - Started off with this one and really liked it for a while until it started to drag in the middle. The end was good too, but by that point I was ready for it to be over since it really didn't need to be twenty minutes long.

My thoughts exactly. The story was nonexistent or over complicated and didn't let me care much, but the visuals, the art, the pictures were amazing, especially the first half. The middle was slow, draggy and repetitive and overall it was a bit too long, but I still enjoyed it quite much. Would have been better without dialogue and only with music though.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 5, 2011 3:12 AM

Apr 2009
I don't know what the story in Dimension Bomb is but the art and visuals were amazing, and the animation was superbly done!
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 9, 2011 1:16 PM

Aug 2010
Loved the animation but I just wish I knew what the heck was going on!
Jul 20, 2011 11:20 AM

Jun 2009
Dimension Bomb was wonderful visually and sound-wise. As for the plot, I don’t have a clue.

I wish it didn’t was 20 minutes long, though. The slow mid-section of the short felt like it was dragging, which left me feeling bored for a while. I could’ve done without it.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Jan 8, 2012 4:21 AM

May 2008
To those that don't already know Nostromo, here's an AMV of Dimension Bomb. I found it far more flavorful than the terribly boring source with its tasteless "plot". Try it in full-screen and 720p:

FauxAznJan 10, 2012 3:18 AM
Sep 22, 2012 10:16 AM

Sep 2008
The music was really great, the movie... disturbing and mysterious.
Dec 7, 2012 7:56 AM

May 2012
Nice visuals but there wasn't really much story to it and that's what I found lacking but damn nice visuals and animation!

Well as for the whole thing quite some nice shorts really liked the second one of this batch, in global quite a nice watch 7/10
May 1, 2013 8:33 AM

Jan 2013
Dimension Bomb was fun to watch, kinda slow, but still entertaining.
To be honest
Untill the last 3 minutes.

With that being said, overall I enjoyed "Genius Party: Beyond" more than "Genius Party"
Even though "Genius Party" has some nice shorts aswell.
May 9, 2014 2:01 PM

Jul 2013
Pretty much agree with what Higashi had to say regarding this one, but I still enjoyed overall. Right down to wishing there was no dialogue actually because I really dug the music.

I too enjoyed this more than the original Genius Party. Moondrive and Gala are probably the two best shorts of both collections to me. Plus I think though Wanwa might be the worst here it's still solid compared to the weaker ones in the first Genius Party.
Mar 22, 2015 9:47 AM

Jul 2010
I liked the shorts in the original Genius Party more but this was still a solid 7/10 overall for me.
Jun 15, 2015 4:58 AM

Feb 2008
This one was visually interesting and had great music backing them up. Not my favorite out of the bunch, but still one of the better ones.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 25, 2018 11:51 PM

Jan 2010
Well. This was the short that I could not make sense of. I have no idea what's going on.

Animation is fascinating because unlike real life, everything in an animation has to be purposefully drawn and placed within a fictional space. You can't really repurpose anything existing since the animation starts from a blank canvas. As such, it's fun to try and guess what each person, object, and line meant to be. Though, not everything shown has some deep purpose, but at some point, a creator made a purposeful choice to include the said object, so I'd reason to believe that every object, at some point in time, had a purpose, even if the purpose was just to fill up space. That purpose could also be relative to the person viewing the object, where it could be meaningless to one viewer while being profound to another. Or, it could be meaningless to viewers in general while holding great meaning to its creators. Or, it could instead be meaningless to the creator, yet the viewers give the object meaning.

That aside, this animation, again, made no sense to me. However, I will note that the sound design was unique. I was listening with earphones, and the sound during the more psychedelic moments reverberated back and forth, playing with directionality. Like the animation itself, I have no idea what it was supposed to mean, but I don't think I've experienced that in anime before. Perhaps it happened in cases where a sound was made off screen, to which a character in frame turned to face it, but I don't recall a specific case where the sound produced from the video was directionally altered to simulate that effect.

Also, there was a lot of falling in this short. For some reason, there was this constant sense of falling, whether by the alien person, debris, rain, snow, the camera itself, or other objects in the environment. This was assisted by the lack of gravity in certain moments, where things would fall horizontal to the ground or into the sky. Though I still have no idea what the short was trying to get at. Was it the alien boy trying to give back and reciprocate the girl's kindness? Perhaps all the abuse and ridicule he received was expressed through the theme of falling, and the girl was the force that pulled him up after he finally hit the ground towards the end? Maybe this was some sort of metaphor about dealing with personal hurdles, but then again, the whole short was told in stream-of-consciousness, so I'm just guessing at this point.
Dec 17, 2018 5:43 PM

Oct 2015
This episode was kinda confusing, but all I know it had aliens, a girl's voice and a bomb that didn't go off in the end, weird as hell.

This season was hella weird and didn't make sense at all, but I loved it anyways.

8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 9, 2020 1:25 AM

Nov 2015
love the setting and ambience but the characters looked like shit and uninteresting! also the pace it didn't need 20 minute where there wasn't too much to say! the MC was evangelion much? heh

positive thing about the characters: if they do look like fuck faces all the time then it wouldn't work xD! But they movements could be use for transformation sequences of some sort, it was pretty cool... but again, a lot of shows could beneficiate with these backgrounds :D simply beautiful. AH, i wish i could remove the characters and make a stunning screensaver <3

heh, MC at the end said "itadakiman genshin" and this work is clearly influenced by the trippy transformation sequences in Time Bokan Series: Itadakiman an early eighties show.
Berry-VodkaDec 9, 2020 2:02 AM

💢

Jul 12, 2022 12:49 PM

Apr 2019
I'm sorry guys, but this one got me, I have 0 idea on what happened. Anyways, I'd say I preferred the first Genius Party movie
Jul 25, 2023 7:59 PM

Sep 2020
Wtf was that. Do know what happened but the art and animation was nice. 4/10
Nov 11, 2023 3:17 AM

Nov 2012
Ended strong this and the previous ep were probably my favs from Beyond, very cool ep!

Overall the collection not as strong as the first tho, but still enjoyable and worth the watch
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genius Party Episode 4 Discussion

Jacut - May 24, 2009

21 by Squin »»
Feb 28, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Genius Party Episode 2 Discussion

Jacut - May 24, 2009

25 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Nov 17, 2023 1:04 PM

Poll: » Genius Party Episode 1 Discussion

Jacut - May 24, 2009

26 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Nov 15, 2023 1:04 PM

Poll: » Genius Party Episode 3 Discussion

Jacut - May 24, 2009

21 by JVskunkape »»
Nov 11, 2023 2:44 AM

Poll: » Rank Them All

FauxAzn - Jan 8, 2012

6 by Electrowanderer »»
Jan 24, 2019 7:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.