Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 12, 8:14 AM

Nov 2011
There's so much trust and faith put into theories in this anime that it's almost dangerous.

Rafal got himself into trouble but he's given a trial. Credit is where credit is due. I respect what Rafal is doing in this show and the path he follows. He has a dream to follow after all.
Oct 12, 9:20 AM

Dec 2021
I mean, yeah it was pretty much known that since Rafal's dad was Hubert's sensei, it would only make sense he would also have some thoughts when it came to heliocentrism, probably on the same level or even more than Hubert himself. But ofc, here comes TsudaKen's character to fuck everything up and while in a way, lead him in the right way and try to look out for him in a way by telling him to fess up, he was also being nothing more than a devil's advocate and ultimately leading into him snitching on Rafal.

Might only be three episodes, but we know Rafal's determination when it comes to this whole thing, so ofc all it was going to take was seeing the sky again to once again further his resolve, and further his resolve did he do because when supposed to recant for his actions, HE FUCKING TORE THE UNI APPLICATION LIKE A FUCKING BOSS. Not without really, really, REALLY bad consequences though. Yeah, we heard the story and saw briefly the tortures that can happen after doing such a thing, but the such thing that Rafal did was way beyond what even Hubert did, so ofc, death was imminent one way or another.

Even until the very end, Rafal showed off how much of a boss he is, with him taking the poppy things and dying without feeling any pain... what a fucking boss, and what a fucking episode.

Don't know where the story can go from here, I mean, the MAIN DUDE IS FUCKING DEAD???? Maybe the two dudes we saw will take his place, I don't know anymore, but man am I hooked.

Oct 12, 9:29 AM
Apr 2021
um excuse me i would have liked to see the MC live
Oct 12, 9:30 AM
Jul 2020
I'm completely shocked, I didn't know the manga which is why this came out of absolutely nowhere.
Oct 12, 9:37 AM

Nov 2016
Letting the inspiration live on in exhange for his own life. Nice twist. I didn't expect the series to take such a direction, but it should be interesting to have a change of characters throughout the show.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 12, 9:40 AM

Jan 2009
Some shots are really great, overall Id say they are slightly better than the first two eps.

The overall direction and OST are really on point and help a lot. Good adaptation so far.

Best arc of the manga coming up next imo
Oct 12, 9:43 AM

Jan 2009
I can see a bit of confusion around Rafal, since he is so prominent in keyvisual advertising the show, the OP, the ED etc but yeah, he is one of the many protagonists of the manga, not the only.one
Oct 12, 9:48 AM

Jul 2016
Damn. Didn't think Rafal would be joining Hubert this soon. Psychologically torturing your would-be torturer and fake-executing your would-be executioner are up there for the most badass things you can do before going lights out, at least.
Oct 12, 9:56 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Amazing surprise, the young boy died!!!
The 2 men that appears latter and found the box in the middle of the forest were friends of the guy, right?
kekeke
Oct 12, 10:00 AM

Jun 2019
I cried. I don't know why. I love this show so fucking much. It only took 3 episodes for it to make me absolutely fall in love with this kid. What incredible storytelling. When Rafal tore that page, I started tearing up. It was so good. The love for something that you can't even understand completely, it's so touching. It was beautiful. Putting your life on the line for things you believe in. Amazing, everything so far about this story has been amazing. My favorite show of the year so far. I love it that much. Ten years later.
Oct 12, 10:12 AM

Jul 2017
A great episode with a twist I could not have imagined, especially with this early on. But as was discussed in the episode by Rafal, what he did carried inspiration out there today and he died at least with being his genuine self and joining Hubert. Already the two characters in major focus from the first episode are dead like that, but the way Rafal went out was pretty damn awesome at least. With brand new characters seemingly finding his box of stuff and adopting his inspiration basically, the series promises to be very interesting for sure. I just hope that the series can keep its momentum strong with its evolving and changing cast since those kind of things can also break a show too. At least the start has been very impressive and Rafal till his dying breath, went out strong there. Even the whole university application being torn to shreds in front of everyone was so great to watch and he at least got to die on his terms. I like that the series committed to this and not just gave him an easy out with escaping.

I have read many, many manga (especially when new anime adaptations are coming out), but this is one series where I haven't read anything nor know anything, and I'm glad. This has so much potential and the impact was strong in this case since I didn't know what was coming for once.
Oct 12, 10:20 AM
Apr 2024
Rafal died..??
literally i didn't expected itt😭😭..
But still.. imma expecting that he is alive.. I'm waiting for his return like eren did in AOT.
Oct 12, 10:21 AM

Jan 2014
How? that is just madness
You're right
But you could also call it love

Boys, we are only 3 episodes in, and my god this is ALREADY turning to be a classic in the making. If it weren't for Re Zero, this would be the #1 show for me
Oct 12, 10:23 AM
Feb 2020
The real Orb starts now.Man for a hot minute i was expecting it to be a dream sequence and after wondered how he'll get out since hes the mc AND then thought he couldve survived the poison somehow.

Novak couldve just lied of having evidence and Potocki wouldve crumbled and convicted Rafal.Tho if he didnt,his research couldve been found.

Loved how shaken Novak was and Rafals beautiful speech that his death will inspire more,what a chad.Now why and how did it took someone 10 yrs to finally found it,or maybe its been passed around before?
Oct 12, 10:30 AM

Jul 2019
This episode really caught me off guard. I was ready to get into Rafal's university arc from this episode and boy was I wrong, until the 10 years later frame, I was still hoping that everything will actually turn out to be fine but no! This was a really bold move though, rest in peace Rafal. I wonder how his "inspiration" will affect others.

P.S. If they could've condensed the first 3 episodes into the initial 2 episodes, I believe the anime would've popped off even more.
Oct 12, 10:33 AM

Feb 2019
Man this might be AOTS. Crazy how slept on this is rn. Genuinely had my jaw on the floor this entire episode. I KNEW Nowak was closing in on Rafal, but I didn’t expect bro to only last 3 episodes?!! Like that’s some bold writing and it really does drive home how perilous and dangerous this time was for men of science. Incredible writing and twists.

We’re so used to our protagonists having plot armour and getting out of these situations with smooth talking and I fully expected Rafal to somehow wiggle himself out. But nope, even in the face of death he refused to sell out on his convictions and would rather die being true to himself than living a lie. Fuck, that hurt though. Rafal had so much more life to live and Hubert passed on the dream to him, guess it’s time for him to pass it on to someone else now.

I did love that whole convo with Nowak on the eve of the torture/him being put to death. Nowak’s face when Rafal showed no fear and didn’t back down was amazing. He’s so used to seeing people cry and shaking in these sort of situations, he was the scared one this time around I love it 😂.

Like Rafal said, you can’t stop the truth. You can kill the man, not the idea and it is kinda cool to have a story that goes from one protagonist to the next passing down ideals and a mission until the ultimate goal is achieved. I don’t think I’ve seen that other than Fumetsu with the MC taking different bodies

I know Potocki gonna feel like shit for selling out his own son now lmao. Guess he overestimated how much Rafal wanted to live.

Can’t wait to see the next protagonist!
Marinate1016Oct 12, 11:25 AM
Oct 12, 10:33 AM
May 2021
Huh wtf he is dead???? who tf is the protagonist then?? what the hell
Oct 12, 10:42 AM

Mar 2020
"Can't you see how that is madness? You're right, but you could also call it "love".

My word, I was surprised by this episode, with how the show committed to the consequences of being a heretic. With that, I know that this show is serious about its theme, because many other shows would have given their protagonist an easy way out. I have a lot of respect for what Rafal did, not giving in, and going out on his own terms, like a boss. Nowak was also a very interesting character, and in his normal stoicism, even he was shaken by what Rafal did. However, as great as this episode was, this narrative direction also poses a huge amount of risk, especially with new protagonists being introduced, but if this show can keep this up, it will truly be something special.
Oct 12, 10:45 AM

Jan 2014
Reply to Marinate1016
Man this might be AOTS. Crazy how slept on this is rn. Genuinely had my jaw on the floor this entire episode. I KNEW Nowak was closing in on Rafal, but I didn’t expect bro to only last 3 episodes?!! Like that’s some bold writing and it really does drive home how perilous and dangerous this time was for men of science. Incredible writing and twists.

We’re so used to our protagonists having plot armour and getting out of these situations with smooth talking and I fully expected Rafal to somehow wiggle himself out. But nope, even in the face of death he refused to sell out on his convictions and would rather die being true to himself than living a lie. Fuck, that hurt though. Rafal had so much more life to live and Hubert passed on the dream to him, guess it’s time for him to pass it on to someone else now.

I did love that whole convo with Nowak on the eve of the torture/him being put to death. Nowak’s face when Rafal showed no fear and didn’t back down was amazing. He’s so used to seeing people cry and shaking in these sort of situations, he was the scared one this time around I love it 😂.

Like Rafal said, you can’t stop the truth. You can kill the man, not the idea and it is kinda cool to have a story that goes from one protagonist to the next passing down ideals and a mission until the ultimate goal is achieved. I don’t think I’ve seen that other than Fumetsu with the MC taking different bodies

I know Potocki gonna feel like shit for selling out his own son now lmao. Guess he overestimated how much Rafal wanted to live.

@Marinate1016

I feel like this is another Rakugo in the making. It's airing at the same time as other mega popular anime, and because of that 90% of anime watchers will initially miss it. Over each week the score of the anime gradually gets higher and higher till eventually it gets to above 8.50, and at the end it's hailed as one of the best anime ever made. At that point a lot of that initial 90% who slept on it, go, HUH? What is this anime??? I've never heard of this. Why is the score so high?

They then decide to give it a go, and in most instances they finish it in a few days or so and are like

I don't want to ruin the anime by hyping it up like this ( im an anime only with this ) but man, episode 3 and obviously the build up to it, was just STELLAR writing. I can't help but think the rest of the anime will be as good, or even get better
Oct 12, 10:57 AM
Dec 2023
I liked it, I found it interesting and I didn't expect that ending to happen, I'm looking forward to the next episodes
Oct 12, 11:21 AM

Nov 2023
I was already loving this series, now it's Anime of the Year contender for me (if we consider Frieren a 2023 anime).
Rafal was talking like had seen the truth of the world, and in a way he had. These beautiful quotes embody his idea perfectly:

• "No one has experienced death, yet everyone assumes it is the greatest evil" - Rafal paraphrasing Socrates
  • "When we exist, death is not; and when death exists, we are not" - Epicurus
  • "Life is long if you know how to use it" - Seneca
  • "You are sacrificing your life for something you don't understand. Can't you see how this is madness?"
    "You are right, but you could also call it 'love'." - Rafal

The church might have won the battle with both Hubert and Rafal, but as long as the war is won, it doesn't matter who wins it.
Death is not but a temporary setback for the real Main Character of this show: Heliocentrism itself.
While humans are susceptible to death ideas will continue to exist as long as there is a vessel for them.
The truth will one day be revealed. Human curiosity will always lead us to it.
Oct 12, 11:27 AM

Mar 2022
Reply to DoctorWasabi
How? that is just madness
You're right
But you could also call it love

Boys, we are only 3 episodes in, and my god this is ALREADY turning to be a classic in the making. If it weren't for Re Zero, this would be the #1 show for me
@DoctorWasabi What a way to subvert our expectations.

Jan 2024
"I will let inspiration survive even if it costs me my life"

Rafael truly went out like a hero. In just 3 episodes(glad I binged it together) this kid made me fall in love with his character and resilience. His conversation with Novak was so genuine even Novak couldn't do anything to counter but watch as he dies on his own whim. It completely caught me off guard, never imagined the mc to die in 3rd episode. Really felt sad for poor boy and made me shed tears.
From Hubert to Rafael to someone else let it continue..

It will be interesting to watch new mc(dk and all die?) & the direction where it goes. Visually it gorgeous and peak writing. Ik it's very early but like many said ez AOTS contender. Expecting more great things.
WaterMageOct 12, 8:55 PM

Mar 2021
so basically we will get a new main character for next episode.. interesting
Oct 12, 11:29 AM
May 2024
What an episode, damn.

I think this is the fastest I've seen a main character die, like, ever??

I feel like this series will take place over the time span of several decades or something, with different people getting closer and closer to proving heliocentrism.

So excited for next week's episode.
Oct 12, 11:35 AM
May 2022
cho- chotomatte! what.. he is dead????? the mc is dead in the 3rd episode itself????? the hell????? whats gonna happen now... it was getting so interesting..
Oct 12, 11:37 AM
May 2022
Reply to Marinate1016

Marinate1016 said:
bold writing
exactly, author killed the mc so quickly... i wasnt expecting that.. i am still shocked that such a small child can think like this and take such steps
Oct 12, 11:44 AM

Mar 2023
Hubert was in the same situation ep1 and managed to get out without burning the main stash

It's an interesting idea, I think they mean for every arc to have a new character cast, let's see how it works out.
watsymOct 12, 11:49 AM
Oct 12, 11:44 AM
Jun 2021
Okay this show is sooo good,ii hope more people will talk about it !!!!
Oct 12, 11:55 AM

Apr 2017
The scene between Nowak and Rafal made me cry t.t I wonder if we'll see the former again? Even he seemed to feel really guilty about the prospect of having to torture a child. Great character. Badass child.

Potocki must feel SUPER guilty for turning Raphal in now.
Cool beauty, world class genius, unbeatable charm!

I'm unstoppable!
Oct 12, 11:58 AM
Aug 2024
great episode. But it's hard to accept Rafal's death. great character.
Oct 12, 11:58 AM

Apr 2017
Reply to watsym
Hubert was in the same situation ep1 and managed to get out without burning the main stash

It's an interesting idea, I think they mean for every arc to have a new character cast, let's see how it works out.
@watsym my guess is that unlike in Rafal's case, the church didn't know Hubert HAD a physical stash somewhere.

It could also be that Hubert hadn't had the time to lead them to it since ep 1 took place right after he recanted, but that's a bit unlikely since we did get a timeskip of a week or so before his death
Cool beauty, world class genius, unbeatable charm!

I'm unstoppable!
Oct 12, 12:01 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
Holy shit this was great.
I did not expect this at all.
I have been surprised with this anime many times now.
lucio54Oct 12, 12:47 PM
Oct 12, 12:07 PM

Mar 2015
if anything, this seems like very ambitious storytelling, I can respect that. looking forward to seeing more
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Oct 12, 12:08 PM
Nov 2016
I'M SPEECHLESS!

I mean, I kind of expected Rafal to die, but not after just 3 episodes lol. He refused to bow down to the lie and decided to die while affirming is beliefs, but it's sad that he died so soon. I liked him as protagonist. This series is definitely one of the best anime of the year imo
Oct 12, 12:09 PM
Jun 2013
Wow, didn't expect that early death. Now I'm convinced the show it'll go like this fellow says:
PinkSkies177 said:
I think this is the fastest I've seen a main character die, like, ever??

I feel like this series will take place over the time span of several decades or something, with different people getting closer and closer to proving heliocentrism.

So excited for next week's episod

Because there's indeed quite a history between early-astronomers and the church over heliocentrism. The most popular being Galilei. I bet he will have some eps.
Oct 12, 12:35 PM

Sep 2016
Did the MC really die in episode 3 already or was it a feint?
Oct 12, 12:36 PM

Mar 2014
Reply to dodoxdo97
I'M SPEECHLESS!

I mean, I kind of expected Rafal to die, but not after just 3 episodes lol. He refused to bow down to the lie and decided to die while affirming is beliefs, but it's sad that he died so soon. I liked him as protagonist. This series is definitely one of the best anime of the year imo
@dodoxdo97
Let's calm down there, quality can go up and down.

This is a 25 episode anime as well...
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Oct 12, 12:40 PM
Oct 2017
Reply to Zarutaku
Did the MC really die in episode 3 already or was it a feint?
@Zarutaku There's no Mc in this show, everyone is a key to reach the truth that is Heliocentrism
Oct 12, 12:44 PM
Apr 2017
Damn I got spoiled by the manga synopsis but didn't expect it would happen so fast. Half imagination, half curiosity, what a line. I suppose he will reappear several times as memories?
Oct 12, 1:01 PM

Jul 2022
What an episode, I’m in shock. I didn’t expect this kind of ending. I honestly thought Rafal would be the one to fully embark on this journey, but it seems we’re going to have more than one person exploring the heliocentric theory. Just like Potocki, who abandoned his studies out of fear, Hubert stepped in and defended Rafal, showing him the beauty of the world. And Rafal, with full determination, chose to die believing in what he wanted, without any regrets.

The real protagonist here isn’t a person but rather the curiosity and inspiration of individuals seeking to shape and transform the world. It’s even more remarkable because society doesn’t change overnight. Science isn’t created by just one man; it’s a legacy, a construct built by many men and women throughout the centuries. It is sustained and continues to grow on the shoulders of our predecessors, all for one purpose, to reveal the truth. The collective knowledge is passed down through the efforts, study, imagination, and most of all, the curiosity of those who came before us.
Oct 12, 1:10 PM
Dec 2019
Holy moly. Hit like a truck but left a bold impression. This is gonna be a good watch, I already know it. Can't wait for Saturday to hit now.
Oct 12, 1:21 PM
Jun 2020
Wait, so we will have multiple MCs, then? Like the boy in the Key Visuals is just one of them? Like, he didnt fake his death, he is really dead?

I didnt expect that considering I like the MC and how much they advertised him in PVs and KVs.
Oct 12, 1:21 PM

May 2020
This came out of absolutely nowhere and hit like a train. I was genuinely expecting Rafal would pretend again and will somehow get these church people off his back, but man, such strong will just to stand firm for his ideas and even accepting death tells a LOT about him. Was here just for these three episodes but has left a lasting impression already.

One refreshing way to tell a story, I must say. And yeah, this series is hella unpredictable, would try not to get attached with any character, because I mean…

Hugely looking forward to how this series would go from here on.
Oct 12, 1:22 PM

Jan 2021
Such an intriguing episode.

Potocki kind of gained my respect. I thought he was just going to be an annoying guy throughout the series, but to find out he himself researched heliocentrism gives much more depth to his actions and character. In general, the series did quite a splendid work of creating interesting characters in only 3 episodes. Considering the narrative of the series from now on seems to be that the main character will be replaced every few episodes, it's definitely a skill this anime needs.

The dialogue between Nowak and Rafal was quite engaging, and the ideas exchanged between them were fascinating. Heliocentrism and geocentrism, both ideologies themselves and the conflict between them, aren't ideas I've seen explored before, but the accompanying themes in the conversation were also notable.

I really didn't expect such a twist to happen this early in the series.

Throughout the episode, there were a lot of beautiful drawings of the night sky. Although the series doesn't have as high a level of production as other Madhouse anime (and it's not necessary for it to have), it's always nice to see such shots, which helped emphasize to the viewer the attraction Rafal himself sees in the night sky. So one can be sure the series is in good hands.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Oct 12, 1:36 PM

Apr 2015
Wait WHAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT?????

I was not expecting he got catch this soon, but he also died omg.

So if we are going for multiple MCs, I wonder if it will reach until Nicolau Copérnico? The one that actually manage to prove the theory.
Oct 12, 1:40 PM
May 2020
I hope this is an anthology that proves that inspiration and truth are worth the struggle.
Oct 12, 2:28 PM
Feb 2021
Omg, that was WILD. I don't even care about the historical inaccuracies anymore. Can't wait for the next episode!!
YaBoi420Oct 12, 3:05 PM
Oct 12, 2:36 PM

Nov 2022
Wait seriously? They killed Rafal? Bro I liked the guy... ;(

No way tho... he's like in the op and ed and everything...
Oct 12, 2:49 PM
Dec 2016
I hope Gigguk, after this episode, has decided to make a video about it, because more people need to jump on the weekly. This shit is shaping itself to be legendary. Legit only a small amount of people are watching it aside from the Japanese audience (because they probably knew what was coming). It was also #1 top watched tv series on Netflix Japan beating Re Zero, Blue Box and Dandadan.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Episode 4 Preview images and synopsis

18927 - 4 hours ago

4 by Technopunk »»
19 minutes ago

» good anime for new anime fans?

nickZ2929 - Yesterday

19 by Crogan247 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Chi.: Chikyuu no Undou ni Tsuite Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 5

79 by Alfredo-Sauce »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Chi.: Chikyuu no Undou ni Tsuite Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Oct 5

84 by sxrpente »»
Yesterday, 11:19 PM

» Absolute Cinema

sunatsf - Oct 13

16 by Phlaryx »»
Yesterday, 9:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.