Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 16, 1:28 AM

Dec 2021
Finally we're back to normal.

The Kitauji High School Concert Band has come together once more, now with them being confirmed to be playing in the nationals, and due to this smiles have returned to the faces of its members. Kumiko expresses her gratitude to Mayu, but Mayu’s expression remains clouded, unable to fully accept her words. Meanwhile, the time for Kumiko to think about her own future is approaching. And as for Reina, she had planned to travel to America to do her studies, leaving Kumiko to be the only one to still try an put the pieces together of what she was to do after graduating.

And to no one's surprise, they skipped the performance because when it comes to the anime, all that matters is the aftermath, and that aftermath is Kitauji actually making it to the nationals... unlike last year. Anywho, Reina leaving for America after high school was a big bombshell for her gf Kumiko. That hug between them was adorable tho. But ofc, seeing as the season is coming to a close soon, we need closure on Mayu's character, and we're getting there. Everyone's true feelings are quite complicated. Maybe Mayu wanted Kumiko to play the villain so she could feel relieved. But yeah, was nice to see not only the OG concert band squad reunited but also Mizore again.

And now, it's time for the final nationals for Kumiko and the rest of the gang.

Jun 16, 1:28 AM

May 2020
Wouldn’t have made any sort of sense if they didn’t qualify for the nationals this time around as well, just winning the dud gold in the end. So yeah, nationals it is, after skipping the entire performance, as usual lol. Though I’m not sure how to feel when Kumiko herself asserts that Mayu indeed was good enough in that soli part. Nobody cares enough about her to see she doing the soli part in the nationals as well.

Fuck the drama instigator, but hey, this episode was doing all it could to make up for the overblown drama we’ve been through all these episodes. Though that’s not gonna change anything at this point, I mean even Reina’s apology or acting like a normal person for once. She was too insufferable these last couple of episodes. Talking about insufferable, Mayu again is sounding like the same fucking broken record like she’s been doing from the time she’s introduced… leaving the soli part to Kumiko. Anyway, hope Kumiko will actually decide something after that ”educational” trip.. something concrete.
Jun 16, 1:53 AM

Oct 2017
Music? What's that? Might as well skip the nationals.
Jun 16, 3:07 AM

Feb 2019
Well with all the drama seemingly behind us it’s time to get back to the music and focus on the path to nationals. Well.. partly. Skipping the musical performance in a music anime is… interesting. I do love the drama we’ve had this season, but I kinda hate it’s come at the cost of the actual music.. would’ve been nice to get a balance. So far the only performance I can even remember from this season was Kumiko and Reina’s practice sesh in her basement..

Yea yea I know it might get repetitive to show all the performances and I’m not asking for that. Just would’ve been nice to see half of one or something.

Poor Mayu.. still lost and not sure how to handle things with Kumiko. At this point she just needs to focus on herself because the whole being nice to Kumiko thing just ain’t working and comes off as patronising. I’m not quite sure that she really trying to get Kumiko to give up like Kanade says, but I can see why it’d be misconstrued that way.

Reina making up with Kumiko saved her with the fandom cause so many people were ready to cancel her and tbh I was one of them. She got really nasty in those last couple episodes, but owning your actions and apologising is a start and if Kumiko is over it, we should be too.

Going to the Senpai’s university performance was actually great because not only did we get to see Kumiko looking stunning, but it also gave her at least some clarity that music school is not what she wants to do.

“You’re my special person” 😭 ok the yuri bait is never gonna end is it. Bless Reina heart for thinking that just because Kumiko doesn’t wanna go to music school that would be the end of their friendship. It’s ok to have different interests as the senpai showed them earlier! they’ll be fine.

With only 2 episodes left it’s really starting to hit how close we are to the end of Hibike. This has been one of kyoani’s 5 best projects without a doubt and I’m just getting so depressed at the thought of not having these girls anymore. Ironically, I feel that same type of dread Kumiko feels about her future lol.
Marinate1016Jun 16, 1:54 PM
Jun 16, 3:27 AM

Feb 2021
I finally caught up let's gooooo. This show has been a blast, I'm loving it. Watch Liz and the Blue Bird and the Ensemble Contest Arc movie if you haven't already btw.
Also there are albums with character songs for Kumiko, Hazuki, Midori and Reina which were released after season 1 aired. 2 songs sang by the VAs + one piece with the character's instrument as the main focus for each album. Please check them out, they are available on Spotify worldwide. My favorite songs are 'BrushUp x BrassUp' (Kumiko's second song) and 'Shinkyou Projector' (Reina's first song)."

I think skipping the performances except the one at nationals is fine, they're playing the same piece on all competitions.
I still can't figure out what's Mayu's deal. She appears nice, but as Kanade said, if she really wanted to forfeit she'd just do it without asking Kumiko about it.
Mizore can read Kumiko like a book seriously. "You're good at opening windows"
The final auditions are here. This will be really interesting.

"Mizore POV" lol
EmbientJun 16, 3:36 AM
Jun 16, 3:30 AM
Apr 2010
I am on the verge of dropping this show.. Is Reina gonna be a biatch until the last episode?
Jun 16, 4:03 AM

Apr 2010
Kumiko made her choice it seems and Reina going far away.
Hopefully that doesn't put a strain on their relationship.
We got to see the senpai again which was nice and a concert.
The big question is how will things proceed in the finals for the school, it will be nice to see how that ends.
Jun 16, 4:05 AM

Jul 2017
This music anime does not like music, it's so afraid of showing enough performances to actually show how much the club has grown in actual performances. I understand that we have seen them perform to get to Nationals before but I would rather at least see a condensed version of the performance and focus on the Mayu-Reina soli parts with actually being able to hear what they are performing together rather than looking at them with no music performing together like in the anime. This anime will probably have one big performance later for a finale but there should be a lot more given how much this is covering, like in the other seasons and movies. I kind of understood that this anime skipped the performance from last week's post-credits glimpse but actually seeing how this plays out was still so underwhelming. Once again, going to nationals means nothing if the growth can't be visibly seen and heard in their performances and confidence over the years to get to this point, even with a majority of members being different.

I mean after this, instead of the club being united towards nationals with Kumiko putting the drama away for the time being, we get.... more of the same drama that's been happening for weeks now (minus the Reina conflicts) with Mayu once again wanting to forfeit the soli for the next round of auditions since Kumiko isn't very happy, despite trying to still keep it together. I've seen this for weeks now, and Mayu's character once again is not fully explored to detail what exactly is happening with her even now so this whole ordeal is so stretched out now beyond belief. The way it took place in this episode was by no means natural either, just forced and going nowhere as usual. I can't possibly feel anything positive about Mayu's characterization in this anime, it just moves in circles without much real progress being made and months of time being wasted without building towards something concrete.

We did see Kumiko, Reina and company wear some nice clothes to see Mizore's performance at her university I guess. The Kumiko reveal of not going to music school to Reina was anticlimactic and not built up effectively but it does make sense, and at least it was nice seeing Kumiko try to convince Reina that they won't lose their bond even if Kumiko isn't in the music field as much post-high school. Gives Reina a bit more motivation to be that special and live up to being Kumiko's special person in the long run once she moves to America after graduation. She does have the talent and skill, and personality to succeed with how hungry she can be to a fault so the potential is through the roof for Reina in the long run.

That one scene at the end aside, this episode really sucked for me and just oozed frustration and repetition that has clouded over this show since the 2nd season.
Jun 16, 4:06 AM

Nov 2010
The show has returned to usual redundant pacing. The whole show may be able to be compressed to one third.
Jun 16, 4:36 AM

Jan 2021
I think it's insane we're this late in the season and Mayu's still at it with forfeiting. Each new week I keep hoping we're finally getting a Mayu episode where she's explored more, yet we barely have anything, even 2 episodes away from the finale. It's almost like a caricature at this point. At least I'm glad her talent is getting recognized. I wish we'd get to hear a bit more more music; I liked what little we heard of Mizore's band. But I really wanna hear Mayu.

Anyway, with just two more episodes remaining, I still don't know how to feel. Great anime, but the pacing is all over the place. We're jumping too fast to the next thing. What a pity to get only 13 episodes of this.
Jun 16, 4:46 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
This studio makes by far the most beautiful SoL anime.
If other animation studios only had 50 percent of the skill of Kyoto Animation...
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jun 16, 4:46 AM

Mar 2023
That Mamiko dressing Kumiko was obviously a metaphor for Kumiko becoming an adult.
Kumiko has used the time to practise and sort through her feelings and to figure out what she wants from her future, though still indecisive in some aspects, she has taken an important step.
Reina got to apologise for her shortcomings and is working on accepting Kumiko's decision. This is probably the most change her character has had all series.
Reina and Kumiko having Liz and Blue Bird moments is kinda nice to have in the same episode as Mizore and Nozomi make an appearance this season.

“They’re not stones, they’re people” was a nice comment from Taki's wife.
Next episode starts with the audition, so national performance is close.
Anyway, solid episode.
watsymJun 16, 4:57 AM
Jun 16, 4:47 AM
Apr 2023
We honestly need an explanation on mayu by now. We’ve got two episodes left and we don’t know a single thing about her. Cause to me she could’ve forfeited the party without asking kumiko and it’s starting to get annoying
Jun 16, 4:52 AM

Jul 2012
Well at least i'm glad they showed Reina apologizing, only saying you're not doing anything and making things only worse definitely didn't help.
Glad that got resolved and really love Kumiko's reaction.
Nice to see Mizore and Nozomi, almost all the 2nd and 3rd years made appearances this season.
Should i assume that Rikka got eliminated again, so much for flashy stuff from Azusa ...
Auditions and Mayu's problem left, hope to get gold performance.
Jun 16, 4:52 AM
Apr 2021
I have had enough of kuroe mayu man juste shut the hell up ffs. Even Kanade is less annoying than her. However I don't think kuroe is an evil character, just annoying asf. Honestly this season is so rushed and bad compared to the first two seasons
Jun 16, 5:36 AM
Jul 2020
At least we got part of a performance this episode, not that the episode itself wasn't good; that soundtrack at the end was great too
Jun 16, 5:38 AM

Mar 2021
Nice to see Reina finally apologise to Kumiko for the hurtful words she said to her. Mayu is so bloody annoying it's unreal.
Jun 16, 5:42 AM
Jun 2020
" I wouldn't think anything. I can't even imagine you being there" Mizore appeared for 1 minute and unintentionally and casually dropped the hardest opinion and insult in season 3.
Jun 16, 5:43 AM
Jun 2023
The more we get closer to the end of the show, the more I hate Mayu Kuroe. Please someone humble her
Jun 16, 5:47 AM

Aug 2015
I'm quite scandalized to read so many negative comments about the series - for people who wanted to continue until season 3 - and that after so many seasons they didn't realize what this series was really about: coming-of-age. This theme was already predominant in the second half of the second season. But it's clear that, as the end of the third year approaches and students decide which direction to take at university, these topics come to the fore and become central to the series.

Honestly, the moaners who continue this series don't deserve Hibike! Euphonium. Let them go back to watching idealistic series if that's what interests them. Hibike will never satisfy you.
Jun 16, 6:15 AM
Oct 2020
Ok moving on to nationals. Reina apologizing was nice. Mayu still a broken record just saying the same thing over and over. Only 2 episodes left we still don't know shit about her? Like seriously what's her deal? Kanade was infinitely less annoying. While I won't go as far as to say she's evil she's definitely not good or anything. Like Kanade said who tf keeps saying the same shit like that over and over to the same person.

We also get to meet the Senpais again and see Mizore Yoroizuka again. She seems to be doing well in musical college. Moreover we get a bit reconciliation between Kumiko and Reina. Reina will remain special to Kumiko even if they don't pursue music together. Also, is Reina going to America? Because of course that's where all the talented go right?
Jun 16, 7:13 AM

Aug 2020
Finally the Nationals. It's been a long road. Reina and Kumiko were honest in their feelings, and their directions are being chosen little by little.

Interesting to see Mizore and Nozomi once more... They really changed. And so did Taki-sensei - it's rare to see him talking about himself the way he did.

Kanade understood Mayu's feelings, but it will take a while for things to resolve.

Jun 16, 7:22 AM

Apr 2015
There was once a female workmate at my workplace who was the kindest person ever. Everyday she brought sweets and other stuff to offer it to us. It was nice until I didn't felt like taking the sweets one day. Suddenly she begged me to take it and did the same to other people who also declined her just because they didn't want to eat sweets today. She was so convinced that I didn't want to accept her sweets because I was too ashamed to say so which was not true at all. Whatever you said she just simply refused to listen and it got to a point where it was unbearable to repeat the same kind of answers.

A few months ago it rained vigorously and my shoes got a little wet. It didn't matter to me at all but suddely she offered me suggestions for a new pair of shoes and after I declined respectfully she kept harrassing me about it for another hour and even wanted to buy me a new pair of waterproof shoes. Later I heard that she did the same to almost all workmates and then it clicked for me. She didn't do it for ''us'' like she always claimed. In truth she did it for HERSELF because she could not bear it and always thought that her gut feeling is right, which is just arrogant and disrespectful imo.

Mayu strongly reminds me of my previous workmate. Kumiko told her over and over that she wanted a fair fight. But Mayu nevertheless keeps harassing her it is just annoying to see since it's so disrespectful.

I really like this season though it feels realistic af.
Jun 16, 7:27 AM
May 2024
Reina may have apologized to Kumiko, but I hope next time she can be a little more mature in her speech and not be biased just because Taki is an idiot! The slightest mistake could cause their friendship to be destroyed instantly and that would be very ironic.

Regarding Mayu, to be honest, I still don't understand what is really going through her mind. I think everything will be explained in the last two episodes although I think she still really annoys me, I'm sorry. It would be a disaster if at the next audition Kumiko still loses to Mayu, it would be better to just stop this series.

Hopefully in the last two episodes there will be no declaration of love from Shuichi. the reason is, shuichi barely does anything important in this third season. This anime is better without needing anything romantic, even yuri. basically drama and music are the main presentation of this story even though in the light novel, Shuichi declares his love and is dating Kumiko. Lame characters like Shuichi don't deserve Kumiko, Kumiko deserves someone much better or Kumiko doesn't date anyone. I hope Kyoani doesn't adapt a story based on a light novel

By the way it's nice to see Nozomi and Mizore again. Seeing these two makes me want to reminisce about the early episodes of the first season of Hibike Euphonium. I can't wait for the next episode 🥰
Jun 16, 8:04 AM

Mar 2020
The Nationals loom ahead, but so too does the tension of the future and the auditions...

With a successful performance at Kansai, Kitauji's hope to win the Nationals remains intact, but with that, comes yet another audition on the horizon. The big question here is, how will Mayu and Kumiko compete with each other? It seems that Mayu wants Kumiko to tell her to forfeit, but everyone's inner feelings feel a bit clouded. Leave it to Kanade to give Kumiko some sound advice though, whether it was accurate or not. Of course, the other big reveal today was Reina heading off to America after graduating, and that means separation from Kumiko and the rest of the friend group. The bonds have been built very well though, so I do believe that even if everyone goes their separate ways, they'll find a way to reunite yet again. The bonds are just too strong to break just like that. It was also really cool to see some of my favourite characters from this series, in Natsuki, Nozomi, and Mizore, yet again. It felt very nostalgic seeing the old band members.

With two episodes left, it leaves me a bit concerned about the pacing, and how this series will end. Certainly the auditions will prove to be a big event, and so will the Nationals. Seeing as we have not seen a performance yet in this season, I would certainly like to see one, to wrap up this series in the grandest of ways. I just hope they can end this without it feeling too quick.
Jun 16, 8:06 AM

May 2019
Thanks god Reina finally apologized to Kumiko for being so mean with her comment. Their made up was cute with Kumiko got mad a little as a payback to Reina. It's a little disappointing to not show their actual performance that get them qualified for nationals. It's a little unbearable and frustrasing to see Mayu keep pushing Kumiko to ask her to forfeit the soli position. Nice to see Mizore being blunt about Kumiko not suitable for her music college lmao.

@Hannatach Probably gut feeling as how Kumiko being so wishy washy about her future also contribute. Pretty sure Mizore played the oboe so passionately for Nozomi and she becomes dedicated to oboe to match with Nozomi's flute. And turns out she's just more talented than her just as shown in Liz and the blue bird.
VivaceRexJun 16, 8:15 AM

Jun 16, 8:08 AM

Jul 2016
Why do you guys think Mizore said that she can't even imagine Kumiko at music school? Is it that she is not talented enough, or simply doesn't have the conviction and/or love of music to be a good fit there? There is obviously a big difference between Kumiko and Reina in terms of drive and talent, but Mizore also did not have the aspiration to go to music school until midway through her senior year and she wasn't playing the oboe because she loved it, she simply didn't have anything else better to do.

Also, I wonder why Asuka didn't go to music school. What is she studying? Maybe she is too realistic and just wants a stable career and to freely play by herself on the weekends. She would probably make a killer businesswoman, but she had all the right traits for a professional musician: talent, experience, passion, drive, and a famous father.

Jun 16, 8:21 AM

Jul 2017
I can scarcely believe how blessed we are with this series at this point. Moving, mature, beautiful. Hibike Euphonium *might* be the perfect high school anime, and without having read the novel myself (though I own it) I think the source material has a lot to do with that. Not to say anything bad about KyoAni, the visuals here are second to none as usual. And like, leave it to KyoAni to make even the beach episode integral to the plot. Can't wait for the last couple episodes!
Jun 16, 8:21 AM

Nov 2023
What a beautiful episode.

Kyoani literally making divine job here.

only 2 episode remains. Let's hope for a great ending.
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
Jun 16, 8:26 AM
Mar 2020
Oh they won, apparently.

But likewise, I will always say that the pacing is garbage and the story is all over the place if compared to S1 and S2 but somehow this anime is still good than majority of other drama animes out there, this saga is just THAT good.

And just like I always said, Mayu does seems like a sarcastic human being and if Kumiko said it's OK, then It's OK, should've just stopped asking at that point but since Ep 8(?) I can't even blame Mayu tbh since her fear about causing conflicts proven to be correct so it's about 50:50 when it comes to Mayu but I don't hate her like I used to.

Other than that, well, nothing happened that much except for Kanade spitting fax and Mizore come straight to Nozomi (Also, what Mizore said has countless of meanings, it doesn't mean Kumiko sucked, could be, but there are other things like maybe she doesn't see her passion etc)
Jun 16, 8:26 AM
Mar 2020
Oh they won, apparently.

But likewise, I will always say that the pacing is garbage and the story is all over the place if compared to S1 and S2 but somehow this anime is still good than majority of other drama animes out there, this saga is just THAT good.

And just like I always said, Mayu does seems like a sarcastic human being and if Kumiko said it's OK, then It's OK, should've just stopped asking at that point but since Ep 8(?) I can't even blame Mayu tbh since her fear about causing conflicts proven to be correct so it's about 50:50 when it comes to Mayu but I don't hate her like I used to.

Other than that, well, nothing happened that much except for Kanade spitting fax and Mizore come straight to Nozomi (Also, what Mizore said has countless of meanings, it doesn't mean Kumiko sucked, could be, but there are other things like maybe she doesn't see her passion etc)
Jun 16, 8:40 AM

Jul 2014
You see this is why I friggin love Kanade. She knows her shit, we had a situation like this before and with her during the movie with the Natsuki incident, if Mayu truly ever only wanted Kumiko to have the soli and not cause drama she could have easily done so by playing a little off or just dropping off giving an excuse like she doesnt have the time or not interested in playing the soli, they cant really force her if she doesnt want to, but for some reason like Kanade said, she keeps on asking literally the same question over and over and over and fcking over to Kumiko, this is like harassing Kumiko to “ask” her to drop out for her or Kumiko admitting defeat, she wants Kumiko to submit. I dont know what her end game is but all I know is she is bad news.

Also, Reina’s apology felt so forced lol. Like she just said it to say it cause everything went well for her. I wanted her to apologize and admit her way of handling the whole thing made everything worst. Fck Reina, leave, go to America and never come back to where Kumiko is. Kumiko is surrounded by shitty characters lol.
Jun 16, 8:45 AM

Oct 2016
Nice episode, full of key moments for Kumiko, and seeing the old cast is always for the better.
Jun 16, 8:56 AM
Mar 2015
They won gold at Prefecturals with Mayu and Reina Our gril does not want to go to music school and Reina wants to break up with her
Jun 16, 9:20 AM
Jul 2022
tbh I am kinda confused as to how they gonna wrap everything in two episodes 😕 like there's so much left I hope this series get a deserving ending and not an abrupt ending. it's been a pleasure watching this show
Jun 16, 9:39 AM
Mar 2021
Don't mind me, I'm just here for Mizore + Nozomi
Jun 16, 9:44 AM
Mar 2021
Reply to Embient
I finally caught up let's gooooo. This show has been a blast, I'm loving it. Watch Liz and the Blue Bird and the Ensemble Contest Arc movie if you haven't already btw.
Also there are albums with character songs for Kumiko, Hazuki, Midori and Reina which were released after season 1 aired. 2 songs sang by the VAs + one piece with the character's instrument as the main focus for each album. Please check them out, they are available on Spotify worldwide. My favorite songs are 'BrushUp x BrassUp' (Kumiko's second song) and 'Shinkyou Projector' (Reina's first song)."

I think skipping the performances except the one at nationals is fine, they're playing the same piece on all competitions.
I still can't figure out what's Mayu's deal. She appears nice, but as Kanade said, if she really wanted to forfeit she'd just do it without asking Kumiko about it.

"Mizore POV" lol
@Embient Mizore GIF POV Sauce?
Jun 16, 9:46 AM
Feb 2021
11 episodes of no music whatsoever, "what music?" this is not music anime it's drama anime smh, this is just like Haikyuu but skipping the volleyball match, I was on verge on dropping this anime but I still keep my hopes up for the National performance, I know this is not the same KyoAni like it used to be but it's a music anime ffs keep the drama but at least show half of the performances
Jun 16, 9:46 AM
May 2023
I’m so glad Kumiko and Reina patched things up.
Mayu and Kanade are pissing me off again.

ps. Asuka senpai is gorgeous 😩
Jun 16, 9:50 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Lamp1009
@Embient Mizore GIF POV Sauce?
@Lamp1009

The official twitter
Also was shown on Japanese TV right after the episode.
They make these for every episode this season
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3 (my favorite)
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10
Jun 16, 10:49 AM
Dec 2018
It's only till this episode that I start to consider that 13 episodes won't do justice to Kumiko's 3rd year in Kitauji. We really and I mean REALLY need some OVAs or another movies to make up for the left out content. I'm not mentally prepared to let go of this band that fast, considering how well they developed in terms of a team going to win a competition.

Anyway what a lovely flashback to the past it was with former band members collecting together and just straight up enjoying the music experience. All girls look goreogus in these dresses and their confidence is as good as that. Kumiko is about to do the same, probably coming in the next episode. I'd be lying if I said I don't like this season so far. It's been a pleasure to watch and see how much KyoAni can step up their animation game.
Jun 16, 11:12 AM
Mar 2018
Glad they qualified, though there wasn't really a doubt in my mind (it just wouldn't have made narrative sense for them not to).

I am hoping we get something from Kuroe before the end of the season, otherwise she'll mostly have been an annoying plot contrivance.

I'm glad we got to see just the four girls together at least once, although I do wish it had happened more often.

The concert was fun, especially seeing everyone in their Sunday best. Mizore's reaction to Kumiko's question made perfect sense, but it was still savage in a very understated way.

The moments shared between Reina and Kumiko were my favorite part of the episode!
Jun 16, 11:58 AM

Jul 2016
Back to the grind this week. This episode looks fabulous as all episodes that have third places in and around Uji are. Also has better music than normal which is saying something. The pacing of this season has been fluctuating between whiplash-speed and snail-crawl but this episode was actually pretty well-paced for once.

I see some people haven't read my thread on the lack of performances this season (spoilers there were never many in the whole series).

Kanade is imploring Kumiko to call Mayu out on her constant strange behaviour. Perhaps Mayu just wants closure in Kumiko directly telling her that it's fine to forfeit the soli and just take it easy. I'm exited to see how this will develop into the main drama for the final act but damn we only got 2 episodes left that's not a lot of time.

I only just noticed Taki-sensei uses the feminine "watashi" to refer to himself.

Kumiko looks great dressed up like that. Mamiko for the win.

Reina actually swallowing her pride and apologising for her comments is nice now that the drama has blown over and the tensions have died down completely. But damn do I want to see her admit that she failed to handle the situation properly as an officer. Oh well I guess that''s the most we'll get out of her.

Her trying to make a clean and cold break with Kumiko makes sense since she often thinks too narrowly without taking other people's feelings into account. But Kumiko is too warm a person for that.

Jun 16, 12:27 PM
Mar 2020
There is too much going on in this episode to get into the weeds on each cool part. The girls all dolled up. Oumae's eternal indecision about the future.

But the thing that stuck out to me the most was getting to see Mizore again. And playing the oboe solo in Polovtsian Dances no less! What a character.
Jun 16, 1:02 PM

Jan 2022
Let me say this as a Japanese who read the original.
I know many people are dissatisfied with Mayu, but the original author says:" Mayu is Kumiko before she entered high school.
The theme of the work is for Kumiko to face Mayu, who is similar to her old self."
Before Kumiko entered high school, it was enough for Kumiko if she could enjoy playing her instrument without worrying about her grades.
For Kumiko, to be involved with Mayu is to fight her old self.

I'm translating the comments in DEEPL, so sorry if the text is wrong.
kubo_2501Jun 16, 1:16 PM
Jun 16, 1:26 PM

Aug 2022
Reina and Kumiko have such an adorable relationship, Reina becomes very adorable when she's around kumiko compared to others. Besties for life it seems.

Mayu keeps being the most annoying character in existence, at this point like kanade said its just like she keeps pestering Kumiko over and over to get out het true feelings she's kinda like a bully.

Kanade keeps being the helpful junior that she is, I love her more and more each episode especially for sticking up for kumiko
Jun 16, 1:32 PM

Feb 2014
Two things that made me very happy in this episode. Firstly, which was a given at this point, was that Kitauji has qualified for the national competition, which meant a lot for everyone. After barely missing out in the previous year, it felt great to see them qualify successfully.

Secondly was Reina apologising to Kumiko for how she has been acting towards her over the last few episodes when the drama over the auditions got out of hand. I'm simply glad that Reina realises how immature and overly snappy she has been acting recently, as well as saying choice words towards Kumiko that she now regrets, so seeing her say sorry to Kumiko was a good thing to see. Good on her for owning up to her mistakes. =)

However, even with the recent success at the Kansai competition, Mayu is still being awkward in wanting to forfeit and let Kumiko have the soli part for the upcoming audition for the nationals. Her persistence on this is impressive and yet annoying at the same time and Kumiko is conflicted about this, so seeing Kanade speak her honest opinion about Mayu was rather refreshing to see. Hopefully Kumiko will take Kanade's opinion in mind when it comes to dealing with Mayu later on.

On a brighter note, seeing Mizore and Nozomi again was really nice. Mizore's Oboe part during her performance sounded amazing. Still, she does get straight to the point with her own thoughts, which was shown herw when she said that she can't see herself seeing Kumiko studying at the same college as her. It also did make Reina worry about what the future holds, since she'll be going to America once she graduates high school and thinks it'll be best to end things with Kumiko, but she's overthinking way too much. Their friendship will continue even if their career paths go in completely different directions.

Only two episodes remain now. I pray that Kumiko can land the soli part and sort out Mayu's issues once and for all.
Jun 16, 1:38 PM

Aug 2013
Reply to kubo_2501
Let me say this as a Japanese who read the original.
I know many people are dissatisfied with Mayu, but the original author says:" Mayu is Kumiko before she entered high school.
The theme of the work is for Kumiko to face Mayu, who is similar to her old self."
Before Kumiko entered high school, it was enough for Kumiko if she could enjoy playing her instrument without worrying about her grades.
For Kumiko, to be involved with Mayu is to fight her old self.

I'm translating the comments in DEEPL, so sorry if the text is wrong.
@kubo_2501 Don't worry it's perfectly understandable, I also agree with this, I think Kumiko is fighting with her old self and also want to encourage Mayu to change for the better.

Which must weight on her heavily considering her role as president and her wish to play with Reina one last time.
Jun 16, 2:20 PM
Mar 2021
Embient said:

"Mizore POV" lol

Did you copy your comment from 9anime (aniwave whatever xd) or the other way around? xddd I was reading this and thinking that I had already seen it somewhere
Jun 16, 2:23 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Volki002
There was once a female workmate at my workplace who was the kindest person ever. Everyday she brought sweets and other stuff to offer it to us. It was nice until I didn't felt like taking the sweets one day. Suddenly she begged me to take it and did the same to other people who also declined her just because they didn't want to eat sweets today. She was so convinced that I didn't want to accept her sweets because I was too ashamed to say so which was not true at all. Whatever you said she just simply refused to listen and it got to a point where it was unbearable to repeat the same kind of answers.

A few months ago it rained vigorously and my shoes got a little wet. It didn't matter to me at all but suddely she offered me suggestions for a new pair of shoes and after I declined respectfully she kept harrassing me about it for another hour and even wanted to buy me a new pair of waterproof shoes. Later I heard that she did the same to almost all workmates and then it clicked for me. She didn't do it for ''us'' like she always claimed. In truth she did it for HERSELF because she could not bear it and always thought that her gut feeling is right, which is just arrogant and disrespectful imo.

Mayu strongly reminds me of my previous workmate. Kumiko told her over and over that she wanted a fair fight. But Mayu nevertheless keeps harassing her it is just annoying to see since it's so disrespectful.

I really like this season though it feels realistic af.
Volki002 said:
In truth she did it for HERSELF because she could not bear it and always thought that her gut feeling is right, which is just arrogant and disrespectful imo.

Interesting post, thanks for sharing.

I think most people derive at least a little bit of satisfaction from acting "selflessly" and making other people happy, but I've also seen some people make that the most important thing to them. The selfish need to be selfless.

It's a very difficult thing to change, too, because they've worked hard, and are working hard every day, to consciously cultivate that personality. It takes effort to be "nice." They probably strongly believe that they aren't doing anything wrong, and it might be extremely uncomfortable to start acting "less considerate" (as we can see with Mayu).

It might actually be easier to change a selfish person, because they generally don't "try hard" to be inconsiderate and they don't feel some sort of moral superiority or obligation about it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkHumor04 - Jun 30

204 by defaulticus »»
Oct 14, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IzanaSolos - Jun 23

340 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:51 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Jun 9

95 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:24 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 2

112 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:18 PM

» About this season

TEMPEST_1 - Sep 30

6 by TEMPEST_1 »»
Sep 30, 10:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.