Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 16, 2010 4:24 AM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aww, I kinda teared when Riki and the grandpa reunited. It was sad. :(
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 16, 2010 3:22 PM

Jul 2008
The ending was a bit sudden I thought, still great series.
Feb 22, 2011 1:26 PM

Mar 2009
To be an anime from 1986, it truly is amazing! Rating it 9/10! Looking forward to see the new season that didn't come until 2006 :)
Feb 22, 2011 1:34 PM

Mar 2009
TO be an anime from 1986 it surely is amazing. Also funny to see how a PG-13 rated anime is so violent. If this anime would be recreated today without any sensoring it would be unrated or 17+
Feb 27, 2011 2:21 AM

Nov 2009
Awww, that was so great! I pretty much cried at the end D':

This is an awesome anime. I loved it.
May 3, 2011 3:21 PM

Jul 2009
Truly amazing! How come this anime not more popular again?
Sep 7, 2012 1:48 AM

Feb 2012
Mezziaz said:
Truly amazing! How come this anime not more popular again?

I guess it is only popular in Finland and Sweden.

Anyway, I don't think this anime is good just because of the childhood nostalgia. It is very unique in its own right, featuring animal main characters (who do not turn into moe girls for viewers amusement) fighting against monstrous beasts. This of course means that there is a lot of animal cruelty going on and some people are sensitive for that for some reason. Anyway, I do remember Riki's death as well many other brave dogs losing their lives (was it Akatora who blinded Akakabuto at the cost of his life?). Intense and gory as hell too.
Dec 5, 2014 6:27 AM

Jun 2010
This anime is unbelievable popular in Finland.

I loved the ending but it was too rushed. I think Gin didn't earn to be a leader but surely he was logical choice because the previous leader was his father. I would prefer Ben or Akame.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 15, 2016 12:23 AM

Dec 2013
Great ending for a great anime, chapeau ✨
Mar 10, 2016 4:58 AM

Mar 2015
Great anime !
Why this anime isn't more popular
Oct 29, 2016 4:42 PM
Feb 2015
Kind of wanted that grandpa would be the one to kill Akakabuto but im not mad with Gin doing the job
Mar 21, 2018 2:13 AM

Aug 2007
The story is pretty average and to the point, but the action is awesome. The music is fantastic. I like the gore and animation, even though this was made in the 80s.

I love that this is centers around dogs. That being said, I felt like the beginning episodes with humans really weakened the appeal. If anyone drops the series due to the first couple episodes, they are really missing out on the ending battle scenes.

I really wished there was more depth in the characters besides Ben and Cross. Gin is awesome, but he didn't have any real flaws or got seriously injured.

This was a bit better than average... I would rate it higher, but there are a couple things lacking. I'll give it a 7/10.
LycanMar 22, 2018 5:54 PM

Nov 23, 2018 9:53 PM
Apr 2013
Very very good. Underrated. I could have used more character development but the fight scenes were so good

Best Waifu: Holo - Spice and Wolf
Favorite Anime: Steins; Gate
Read my Wolf's Rain fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12618229/1/Finding-Paradise-Wolf-s-Rain
Jul 15, 2019 7:13 PM

Oct 2015
Too bad Daisuke and Gin departed from each other, but I guess it couldn't be helped since Gin has a bigger role in fulfilling. I'm glad he has become the new king of the dogs, but I wished him a more happy ending than that. Like him going home with Riki, Gohei and Dasuke to his neglected mother. I also liked how he finished off Akakabuto with that head slash, he sure was a tough cub. I thought Gohei would be the one that finished him, but damn that bear is tough to be able to go on a continuous rampage while blind. I really was impressed by his antagonism in the story, especially his development towards the whole saga. They build Akakabuto so greater than any villain I've ever met, it was beyond impressive. RIP to Akatora, he sure fought bravely! I don't know how many times Ben has managed to evade death, he sure was a dead baiter in this series so many times. But how did he survive that cliff fall though and what happened to Hyena? Lastly how will Gin handle his leadership role since his dad has passed on? RIP Riki!

Overall, brilliant anime with a great build up of a story line. I enjoyed it very much, the characters were perfect and the animation wasn't bad either.

8/10
lihle808Jul 15, 2019 7:17 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 23, 2020 3:43 PM

Feb 2017

"Great men don't want an audience when they die."

Jun 6, 2021 11:42 AM

Feb 2020
i really love the series. i wish they have adapted the last arc too.

one thing i disliked is towards the ending the colour become too dark especially the bears wear jarring to watch and also some pacing issue was also present towards the end

but overall it definitely one of my top 80s favorite anime. 9/10
AdampkJun 6, 2021 11:46 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Aug 2, 2021 2:22 PM

Nov 2016
80's Jump hit different with the gore. Gin is now a leader of an army that could take over Japan. Imagine all of them coming out of the water and from the mountains like in the other episode.

Ending was rushed, guess that was a problem with many Toei shows from around that time, but it was a fun ride. Even tho I didn't expect that this would turn out to be a manly men eh pardon, I mean manly dog battle shounen with lots of bromance/dogmance ala Hokuto no Ken, Sakigake Otokojuku. Pretty hilarious xD

Edit: For those interested in continuing with the manga, you can start from chapter 43. The anime cut some parts and the manga is a bit more elaborate in general, but you wouldn't miss out on much by not reading from the beginning.
FMmatronAug 3, 2021 5:59 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 5, 7:28 PM

Dec 2022
Was sad to see Riki die, but he got to teach Gin the (really funny) spinning sawblade attack, so it wasn't for nothing. That encounter Gin had with Daisuke at the end was nice too, and displayed how Daisuke held nothing against him for joining the wild dogs, which was then returned with Gin's still apparent fondness for his original friend/owner.

For the simple premise of building what is essentially an army here, it was still a series that could maintain your attention with all the bloody action and canine territorial feuds. When it did have customary moments of melancholy through all the deaths and sacrifices, it made sure to provide the characters enough attention beforehand so as to implore some sympathy from the viewer. Would've liked to see more from the human characters after the first few episodes, but they still served their purpose. The imposing presence of the bears, conceived through both the art and sound design, also did some excellent work in depicting them as the ruinous beasts they were supposed to be.

Perhaps this series main issue is the ridiculousness of some of the action scenes, such as when Gin very literally flew into the air with a dog four times his size from a grounded position, and then piledrived him into the snow. Obviously Gin wouldn't have won many fights if this series had complete adherence to realism, which I didn't expect to begin with, but by the end of the anime I was half expecting the dogs to start shooting energy blasts from their mouths. There were also some moments of sloppy animation, but they weren't frequent or noticeable enough to be distracting.

╔⏤═⏤╝ ╚⏤═⏤╗
Shaded Horizon

Oct 19, 8:49 AM
Jul 2017
soooo many dogs died, i wish riki didn't die because ben was at the precipice of death so many times. and what happened to the general dog

the ending was rushed and several plot threads were left. i felt as though we needed more closure between gin and his father. the gore was surprising. john becoming a wild dog was surprising as well
silent_lurkerOct 19, 8:58 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Nagareboshi Gin Episode 20 Discussion

VARIAchan - Apr 16, 2010

11 by silent_lurker »»
Oct 18, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Ginga Nagareboshi Gin Episode 19 Discussion

VARIAchan - Apr 16, 2010

9 by silent_lurker »»
Oct 17, 5:24 PM

Poll: » Ginga Nagareboshi Gin Episode 18 Discussion

VARIAchan - Apr 16, 2010

8 by silent_lurker »»
Oct 17, 11:21 AM

Poll: » Ginga Nagareboshi Gin Episode 17 Discussion

VARIAchan - Apr 16, 2010

9 by silent_lurker »»
Oct 16, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Ginga Nagareboshi Gin Episode 16 Discussion

VARIAchan - Apr 16, 2010

10 by silent_lurker »»
Oct 16, 10:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.