Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 5, 2022 9:28 PM

Mar 2014
"I'll be the last thing you ever see" holy shit L

Bittersweet ending
Feb 5, 2022 9:39 PM

Jul 2011
With that huge room with lack of interior design, was good Junior becoming blind.

Would been cool if Water Lily was killed with that move of Elle diving with Lily's sword.

Was a good move from Elle to quick draw so the program doesn't have time to activate.

I must say the replicant development room had some high quality blast-proofing.
Feb 5, 2022 9:46 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
eh.

Not really sure why she was able to cut him, I assume she was just too fast for whatever is installed in her to activate. But my first thought was, it doesn't really matter since the technology is so advanced in Blade Runner, he can just get new eyes.

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't the best either. Relatively uncompelling characters, with a basic story. What saves it is the world and atmosphere of Blade Runner.

Fights had some nice choreography, but this still looked like an Xbox 360 game.

Overall a 5/10.
Feb 5, 2022 10:03 PM
Jun 2020
Good enough ending, plus there's some nice continuity with Blade Runner 2049. Overall this was a good show, but not one I'm terribly fond of. Maybe I'll like it more if I watch the Blade Runner movies.
Feb 5, 2022 11:55 PM

Aug 2019
man this whole anime was overall just underwhelming. the white lotus vs black lotus fight was cool, ill give it that tho.
Feb 6, 2022 2:02 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I still find it funny how black lotus 2.0 or whatever her name is, fights with a huge ass medival sword, lol. You gotta acknowledge this anime(?) for giving us some rather solid fights though. No shounen tropes here to drag it down, no lengthy monologues about characters reminiscing on their backstories to power up that last the entire episode.

Wallace Jr. has the pheremone blocking safeguard rom the black widow movie lol. How Elle was able to overcome it.... I guess the answer is, reasons.

Usually I wait till the next day, Sunday, when the english dub is available to watch this, but again we got demon slayer and attack on titan tomorrow so I just want to get this over with and done- so I watched the japanese sub. Watched the dub because I thought it fit way better with the character's mouth movements; and now watching the sub, yeah I'm kind of right. No biggy though, it's not like dialogue is a central thing in this show. Dang does wallace junior definitely have a deeper voice in Japanese though lol

So.... final impressions. I like how they showed how Wallace Jr. became blind. He must have some really good medical treatment available if he was able to fix a scar that a freaking katana would've left behind. And as a whole... yeah underwhelming. And I'm not talking about the animation (which actually, was pretty solid apart from the character models {the most important thing really}, which really were jarring at times. Even Elle occasionally didn't look so good. Like everything that was NOT human, looked rather amazing actually), but this story really is bare bones and the ending definitely left more to be desired. Not that we were really expecting anything amazing, but it really is just Elle making Wallace Jr. blind and then she goes off into the sunset, the end.

You know, with even just a little bit more depth put into the character and story writing, and with a LOT more work put into the character animation and appearance, this show would've actually slap hard no cap. Like everything else, the ambience, the soundtrack, it all really just feels like blade runner. But whether or not whoever made this was actually trying hard to make something good with the resources they had, or merely was just having some fun, the mark was missed, but it almost hit.

4/10. A project that clearly almost nobody knows about, but could not live up to its potential of being a sleeper hit of the season. It will remain dormant, and fade away into memory. Dang. I really was hoping we were going to get something special though.

NYANPASU
whiskey tango foxtrot

Feb 6, 2022 2:38 AM
Dec 2020
BetaMaleUltra said:

4/10. A project that clearly almost nobody knows about, but could not live up to its potential of being a sleeper hit of the season. It will remain dormant, and fade away into memory. Dang. I really was hoping we were going to get something special though.

I like how you worded this part, I agree.

But, instead of a 4, it's a 3 from me, unfortunately.
some people...
Feb 6, 2022 2:50 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
ErensCumSock said:
BetaMaleUltra said:

I like how you worded this part, I agree.

But, instead of a 4, it's a 3 from me, unfortunately.

Thanks, erenscumsock.

I actually just changed it to a 3 as well. I've just been thinking that even though the blade runner world was captured so well, it was nowhere near enough to save it from the PS2-graphics-looking character models

NYANPASU
whiskey tango foxtrot

Feb 6, 2022 4:30 AM

Dec 2015
7/10 ... more like a 6.5 rounded up though. Bit I liked it most of the time. I remember ages ago the digital animated (CGI) first Final Fantasy movie (Spirits Within) - super boring compared to the games.

But this one ... much better the stuff nowadays. Also I never really liked the Blade Runner movies. But here the plot was nice in the beginning. And good fast paced action.

Major thing I disliked was that they didn't give Davies some important achievements. Yeah - was at least nice to see her sill alive. (Otherwise I would have scored 1 point lower.) I liked her. The story with the other guy (other Blade Runner - old friend of J) ... seemed like it could have been "deeper" (maybe with a 2-cour anime).

The end was just "your usual" stuff - but not that bad. I guess they needed to make sure Wallace was still alive - für the time line. (Cause there is the real/western 2nd movie that I think is later in the timeline after this anime.)

What I liked was the part how Elle discovered the guys from the hunt. The interaction with J (and sometimes Davies - the few talks they had). Nice action. And of course the great voice actor for the police boss guy. He he.
Feb 6, 2022 4:31 AM

Dec 2008
There was just so much potential to create something really memorable with this show but at the end it really became a long drawn out fight scene with the odd fight scene prep. I loved the look and feel of it though, but the character animation was not great. Maybe they wanted it like that? At any rate I am glad that our replicant has survived to fight another day. Maybe one day she will be back. Personally I liked her as a character but wish she would take off that plaster on her nose!
May the Uguu be with you.

Feb 6, 2022 8:27 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
A bittersweet ending for Elle as she confronts Wallace Jr. which lead to a fight with the other Black Lotus. Unfortunately the new Black Lotus was no match for the original so Wallace Jr. got rid of her. A wounded J was planting explosives to blow up the new line or replicants, but not before Elle slashed Wallace Jr.'s eyes which symbolized the severed connection between the creator and the creation. In the end J blew himself up after sealing the blast doors behind Elle. I'm curious to know how Wallace Jr. escaped all that, but whatever.

One month passes and Davis is still alive and reinstated by the police, but is permanently in a wheelchair after getting stabbed. Wallace Jr. is still also alive and still the head of Wallace Corp with a new set of eyes as he appeared in the 2nd movie. Elle on the other hand leaves L.A. for good as there is nothing left for her over there.

I think this anime was alright despite the mediocre animation, but what I really cared about is that they maintained the look and feel of the world of Blade Runner. The fight choreography was really good and it had a banging soundtrack. Maybe they can add more to the Blade Runner universe since it will be a while before we see another Blade Runner movie. As a Blade Runner fan I was satisfied with it.

For that, I give it a 6/10.
AddaeAkonoFeb 6, 2022 8:33 AM
Feb 6, 2022 3:02 PM
Sep 2013
Has anyone noticed the second bike flying with Elle at the end ?

I can't see anyone leaving with her, and I can't conceive the studio putting a random guy beside her without any meaning.

EDIT : A reflection of her own bike or something ? Dunno, doesn't seem like it.
Feb 6, 2022 7:25 PM

Jul 2016
Azlo said:

I can't see anyone leaving with her, and I can't conceive the studio putting a random guy beside her without any meaning.

Yeah I saw that also and thought it was odd. Idk if they’re saying J survived it. But then again wouldn’t both of them ride on the same bike? We never saw him die, so maybe it’s him. Can’t think of anyone else that would join her.
Feb 6, 2022 7:58 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
totti2k2 said:
Azlo said:

Yeah I saw that also and thought it was odd. Idk if they’re saying J survived it. But then again wouldn’t both of them ride on the same bike? We never saw him die, so maybe it’s him. Can’t think of anyone else that would join her.

Definitely not a reflection in my book, although that was my first instinct; that or they fucked up on the layering... ehh,

Before she started flying I swear her bike looked like a fancy tool he'd've been hooked up too.
I find it hard to believe they both survived, unless it was her dragging it behind her, or if it was automated with his or White Lotus's remains; the latter to me, even though doesn't match the direction of the current writing would make much more sense. She's more likely to survive a explosion imo. It's either that or she travels with a new replicant/ David? Yeah..all seem unlikely, but maybe it's intentionally open ended (i.e. not called out in the next version)

For some reason though, it's starting to make me believe it'd be automated though, (i.e. no partner that's conscious) since they panned from the automated truck she started with. Maybe she'll get the Wallace intellect and turn a coma-induced J into a halfie.....idk... straws.... only reaching for straws.

P.S. It does seem like the way the passenger is sitting is different then her's (leaning back instead of sitting forward).
Feb 7, 2022 4:19 AM
Sep 2013
Allright, nobody talked about it so I thought I was crazy.

I don't know why they would hide who's leaving with her, doesn't seem like the "read between the line" type of show, if J or White Lotus survived I think they would clearly show it.
Elle didn't even look to her right before getting on the bike or anything ...

Weird stuff here :/
Feb 7, 2022 10:53 AM
Jan 2021
this gets a score of 6.17, while seasonal trash often fetches more than 7.50 / 8.00.

CGI hater, or a crunchyroll hater, otherwise there's no explanation.
Feb 8, 2022 1:50 AM

May 2018
OK, nice fights (totally unrealistic but gorgeous), nice mechanical designs and nice locations (architecture, lighting ect.) but flat characters and watered down boring story. The music worked but I am not that impressed by it.

PS
I assumed that the second bike is supposed to be allusion to an "Odd Taxi finale".
Some blade runner is after her?
alshuFeb 15, 2022 1:23 AM
Feb 8, 2022 5:08 AM
Jul 2018
4/10 series for me, and this last episode was..... idk what it was?
Feb 8, 2022 2:27 PM

Jul 2014
Kaguyachinchin said:
totti2k2 said:

Definitely not a reflection in my book, although that was my first instinct; that or they fucked up on the layering... ehh,

Before she started flying I swear her bike looked like a fancy tool he'd've been hooked up too.
I find it hard to believe they both survived, unless it was her dragging it behind her, or if it was automated with his or White Lotus's remains; the latter to me, even though doesn't match the direction of the current writing would make much more sense. She's more likely to survive a explosion imo. It's either that or she travels with a new replicant/ David? Yeah..all seem unlikely, but maybe it's intentionally open ended (i.e. not called out in the next version)

For some reason though, it's starting to make me believe it'd be automated though, (i.e. no partner that's conscious) since they panned from the automated truck she started with. Maybe she'll get the Wallace intellect and turn a coma-induced J into a halfie.....idk... straws.... only reaching for straws.

P.S. It does seem like the way the passenger is sitting is different then her's (leaning back instead of sitting forward).

haha I gotta say i didn't really think much of it when i saw it. I just thought it was someone else random that just so happen to be leaving the city and thats all. people just coming and going from that city but hmm maybe it was a bladerunner after her o.o

coming soon
Feb 8, 2022 9:43 PM
Jul 2014
Yes, yes! From the moment I saw that Wallace Jr. had a lot of history in the series and that it was related to the creation of Elle, I wished that she was the reason why Wallace is blind, and that was the case! It's really cool, because now the series has a much more interesting connection with Blade Runner 2049; now every time I see Wallace in the movie, Elle will come to mind, and I'll know that he is the result of his connection to her.
Feb 9, 2022 9:01 AM

Feb 2019
Well that was rather mediocre. I correctly guessed that the main relevant impact of the show would be explaining Wallace's blindness in 2049, but on the other hand, tying it in like that makes J's sacrifice be completely in vain, since we know the Wallace replicants do get rolled out eventually. Not sure what the second bike towards the right side of the screen was meant to be at the end, either.

I'd put it at a 6 normally, but the godawful song choices they used for each ED firmly knock it down by 1.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Feb 13, 2022 5:59 PM
Apr 2016
I really thought that the detective Davis would have some kind of purpose at some point, but no, she really didn t do anything useful during the whole series XDDD

You can literally remove her character without changing the story. I was really expecting more stuff with her...
Apr 7, 2022 12:53 PM

Dec 2008
I was a not surprised by how bad that was going to be. Glad I saw it because despite hobad the show was and how underwhelming it looked, the soundtrack had a good couple hits that I will listen to frequently for a while. Typical of low score anime nowadays to have so much concentrated effort into their music be the one thing they do almost perfectly. So much for a sorta....prequel to the 2049 film starrring Gosling that came out YEars ago. Why even release this now? lol 4/10 cgi anime *smfh*
Apr 2, 2023 10:30 AM

Feb 2022
It end pretty well, I hope they create more Blade Runner Anime.

I'm just wondering why they rated it so low, is it because it's done in CGI and not the usual 2d style?

The fight scenes, the background and the Blade Runner atmosphere is really well done though.

And lastly I was wondering why Elle did not just randomly killing NPC except for her real targets, and I thought that it's a really nice detail. She just proves that she's more human than her human counterparts.
Apr 2, 2023 10:35 AM

Feb 2022
Raptor1986 said:
this gets a score of 6.17, while seasonal trash often fetches more than 7.50 / 8.00.

CGI hater, or a crunchyroll hater, otherwise there's no explanation.
That's indeed true...

I was wondering why this rated so low. And yeah the usual hate on CGI base animation...

This one is pretty good though.
Sep 3, 2023 7:57 PM

Nov 2010
I see now why Niander Jr. is so obsessed with knowing how Tyrell was able to create Replicants that can reproduce in 2049. It takes a while to grow replicants, and making so many is a long & expensive process. Also, that process is perfect for him since he fancies himself as God. He wants to populate the universe using his own Adam & Eve.

The catfight was good!

Overall, it's good! It doesn't add much to 2049 or the original, though. The only relevant event is how Wallace Jr. went blind. They should've made 12 episodes of Black Out 2022 instead.
Dec 8, 2023 12:58 AM

Oct 2013
That was fun! Really a solid show, with stunning fighting sequences and awesome soundtrack making you not willing to skip opening and ending sequences. I also enjoyed the story and how it was placed in the Blade Runner's universe.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blade Runner: Black Lotus Episode 10 Discussion

Vysarine - Jan 15, 2022

12 by Jonas-K »»
May 30, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Blade Runner: Black Lotus Episode 8 Discussion

Vysarine - Jan 1, 2022

12 by Jonas-K »»
May 30, 6:09 PM

Poll: » Blade Runner: Black Lotus Episode 4 Discussion

Vysarine - Nov 27, 2021

19 by Jonas-K »»
May 30, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Blade Runner: Black Lotus Episode 1 Discussion

koluffy - Nov 14, 2021

44 by Jonas-K »»
May 30, 12:38 AM

Poll: » Blade Runner: Black Lotus Episode 12 Discussion

Vysarine - Jan 29, 2022

9 by MizuhoKamui »»
Sep 3, 2023 7:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.