Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2018 6:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh man, that Reina girl is hard to deal with. Seems she can't accept Hinomaru.

One thing I kinda like this show is doing so far its emphasis on the actual sumo wrestling. It's not wasting much time getting right to the point. They get into their sumo mode like the snap of a finger lol.

Some of those moves also look pretty painful to take if you ask me. Got to see more of the characters' past this episode too.
Oct 19, 2018 9:06 AM

May 2015
I don't like how these demon metaphors pop up so frequently... And the fights are supposed to be the most exciting part of the anime, but they aren't. Maybe I'm just not getting hooked on the whole sumo thing but the characters don't seem especially interesting either.
Oct 19, 2018 10:35 AM

Mar 2018
This was such an amazing episode. So much fucking hype. I am also happy that the last fight ended in a draw instead of picking a winner and basically telling what the end is going to be.
Oct 19, 2018 11:13 AM
Sep 2015
I want to see Chihiro's great serpent cleaver too! Back in school I should be a manager in sports club.
Oct 19, 2018 11:47 AM

May 2015
Intense matches, nice music, lovely characters and a nice dose of humour: I'm in love with this serie!
Oct 19, 2018 12:34 PM

Jan 2018
The fights are intense it keeps you on the edge I love this anime

Sumo with perfect quantity of shonen
Oct 19, 2018 3:34 PM

Dec 2012
The fight was so hard to follow, holy shit.

We're only on episode 3 and it already feels like I'm watching a power point.

If the next episode's animation and flow has the same crap quality as this one I'm dropping the show.
Oct 19, 2018 3:50 PM
Jan 2018
I don't understand why the ratings for this anime are so low! It does fall into some basic shounen tropes but it's executed fantastically!
Oct 19, 2018 3:54 PM

May 2014
anime. of. the. fucking. year.
Oct 19, 2018 3:55 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode on the whole but a little disappointing.

Too many still frames and shots up too close kinda made it difficult to follow exactly what was happening in some of the fights. Sometimes they just the character's faces and sometimes just a super close up shot of some portion so it kinda makes it a little vague to understand what exactly is going on, if it weren't for the constant commentary we'd probably have no clue who was ahead in the fight.

I feel like Sosuke's character should've been fleshed out a little more before having him get into Sumo on the same level of his peers. It would've been a lot more endearing that way, not that the way it was done was bad but just that there was a lot of potential there to get me invested in Sosuke as a character. I'm sure I'll grow to like him a lot more as the show goes on but you know, they could've made Sosuke's return a much more emotional moment.

Apart from that, the content was great. Reina is still a cute brocon. <3

The outro was hilarious. xD

This needed that IG sports anime production value, hopefully future episodes have better production.
Oct 19, 2018 4:27 PM
Feb 2009
Done with the show for now. They had a free win by getting a WSJ sports anime and then decided to just butcher the source and make this shitshow of an adaptation. Fuck it and fuck whoever at the studio made that call.
Oct 19, 2018 5:35 PM

Jan 2017
Something about the show seems off. The pacing of the show feels unusually fast but as an anime-only I can't really know for sure. I'll give the show a couple more episodes before deciding to stick with it or not.
Oct 19, 2018 5:49 PM

Jun 2014
The fights were exciting in this episode but hopefully the future ones are animated better.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Oct 19, 2018 7:01 PM
Jul 2017
Yeah, the fights were a little hard to follow, and the characters aren't anything new. But this is all about the Sumo. Kind of like Kabukibu, I'm just watching it because the topic is interesting. As long as they keep telling me stuff about Sumo in an interesting way, I'm sticking with it.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Oct 19, 2018 7:06 PM

Jul 2017
Good episode. Animation and direction looked off but the heart is there.
Oct 19, 2018 7:42 PM

Jun 2014
This is the first time we've seen Hinomaru go up against someone who actually challenges all of his abilities. I wonder what will happen if he goes up against Sousuke again?

Oct 19, 2018 8:24 PM

Dec 2016
This man's dad really made him quit a sport because he was TOO good at it! lmaooo, that's some bullshit right there
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 19, 2018 9:28 PM
Jan 2013
I really hate how they made Reina a brocon in the anime
Oct 19, 2018 9:45 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
BlackCicero said:
Something about the show seems off. The pacing of the show feels unusually fast but as an anime-only I can't really know for sure. I'll give the show a couple more episodes before deciding to stick with it or not.

I started out as an anime-only as well, and I liked the first two episodes so much that I decided to start reading the manga last week. After reading many chapters of the manga, this episode was definitely lacking. In fact, not only are a lot of content being skipped already, but they have also changed few character relationships in this episode, which is actually a bit alarming. Kuze and Shun were more fleshed out in the manga before they even fought against Hinomaru, which made the matches more intense. I wonder if I hadn't read the manga, if I'd feel any different, given the overall positive comments so far. I might drop the anime and just continue reading the manga if I keep feeling this way ><; That said, I'm still glad to see a lot of people enjoying the show. I'd suggest people to finish the anime before picking up the manga. I sure regret my decision XD
Oct 19, 2018 10:09 PM

Jan 2011
Goddamn, they skipped so much. I still enjoyed the previous two eps but this one was just so lacking.
Oct 19, 2018 10:45 PM

Jan 2017
tingy said:
BlackCicero said:

I started out as an anime-only as well, and I liked the first two episodes so much that I decided to start reading the manga last week. After reading many chapters of the manga, this episode was definitely lacking. In fact, not only are a lot of content being skipped already, but they have also changed few character relationships in this episode, which is actually a bit alarming. Kuze and Shun were more fleshed out in the manga before they even fought against Hinomaru, which made the matches more intense. I wonder if I hadn't read the manga, if I'd feel any different, given the overall positive comments so far. I might drop the anime and just continue reading the manga if I keep feeling this way ><; That said, I'm still glad to see a lot of people enjoying the show. I'd suggest people to finish the anime before picking up the manga. I sure regret my decision XD

I see what you mean. It's surprising to see that some of the content was rushed a bit considering the show is a 2-cour. The show isn't terrible or anything so hopefully it improves later on.
Oct 19, 2018 11:09 PM

May 2017
Manager guy reminds me of Teru Mikami lol speaking of the guy, is he the one who Kuze injured when they were little? Or is it Onimaru?
Oct 20, 2018 3:54 AM

Sep 2012
i can only say that they changed a lot just from this episode alone, which is honestly surprising, kinda feel thing will change the moment they introduce kirihito this early in the story.
dunno why they did this since both kuze and kariya feels more fleshed out in manga.
i hope it gets better from now on since by looking at this episode, i am pretty sure there will be lot more change in the future as well.

as a manga reader, i might be biased so i'll just say that it wasn't bad but not good either.
Oct 20, 2018 5:35 AM

Mar 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
Goddamn, they skipped so much. I still enjoyed the previous two eps but this one was just so lacking.
Rushing this so much. >_>
Well, maybe that means that the latter parts will be faithful, r-right?
inb4 they also adapt some of the professional stuff
Oct 20, 2018 6:24 AM

Jan 2017
The first 2 episodes impressed me, but with this one... I'm not sure, it felt somehow off. Agree with the animation complaints too, I coíuldn't follow what was happening in the fight which is a big negative for a sports anime.

They might still turn things around, but it's a bit alarming, reading about how they are skipping a lot of source material. Hopefully in the next few episodes they'll be able to establish a good pace, maybe start up an arc, some tournament or something that will force them to stay faithful to the source material.
Oct 20, 2018 8:38 AM

Jan 2016
Like everyone else said, the animation was off on this one. Previous episodes I don't remember having trouble following what happened, but this one I definitely did at points. I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it picks back up, because there's a lot I do like about this show, but if it stays at this level, I might just go read the manga.

Oh, and looking forward to seeing the new club members learning to sumo. I kinda would've liked to see them learn the basics before going to a practice bout, but hopefully we get that next episode.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Oct 20, 2018 9:17 AM

Sep 2013
It's good if you don't realize it's a manga adaptation then it becomes awful.
Every characterization is ruined, I almost cried in disappointment.
Oct 20, 2018 9:42 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
The only thing I had an issue with in this episode was the animation during the wrestling scenes....It felt so lazy, like the animators barely made an effort with it =/

But other than that, I enjoyed the character moments and learning about the history that Hinomaru has with the people in this other school
Oct 20, 2018 10:40 AM
Jan 2013
As long as they leave the Reina and Hinomaru relationship development untouched , I am good
Oct 20, 2018 5:07 PM

Oct 2015
Kuze went in mercilessly, but I still had faith in Ushio. Too bad the old guy stopped the match, but I guess I didn't mind since it was too soon anyway since he's the Yokozuna's son.

It wasn't the best episode but it did okay and Ushio is interesting.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 20, 2018 8:35 PM

Jun 2013
there's something wrong about the animation it's hard to follow the action sometimes
Oct 20, 2018 10:36 PM

Oct 2008
great episode!
This shows that Hinomaru strength is really not proportional to his size and is really strong!
We to see a lot of now characters huh...from Hinomaru's childhood past.
5/5.

Oct 21, 2018 10:56 AM

Jul 2016
Oh, I kinda felt bad for Kei, to be honest. The day before he was interested in joining the Sumo club and out of nowhere, he must fight against a top Sumo wrestler the next week. I'm sure he wasn't expecting that outcome xD

And as many people already said, the animation during the fight was lacking and for that reason, it was hard to follow at some points. I hope they fix this issue in the next matches.

P.S.: Where is my megane girl!!??
Oct 24, 2018 1:18 PM
Oct 2017
Holy ****. That was such a disappointing episode. Looking back at the past 3 episodes, They skipped so much content that was in the manga. They left out parts that were used to develop the characters, a mini tournament section and a large tournament, as well as butchering, probably one of my favorite parts of the manga, my favorite up to that chapter, Tsuji Kirihito's introduction. My god that was so hard to watch. This episode was really depressing since they made him look like a ****ing idiot, when the manga's introduction of him was badass.
Was super pumped for this being animated, but the production so far has been a major letdown.
Sure, it might seem great and all to the Anime Only viewers, but there were so many bouts glossed over to skip to where we are now. I might even wager that it would have been more entertaining seeing all the fights they go through up until the point in the story where they introduce Tsuji Kirihito, compared to only the content we saw in the past 3 episodes.
Oct 26, 2018 12:23 AM

Jun 2013
I'm going to read the manga since people are saying they skipped some parts. However, I will still watch the Anime because I like watching my thicc bois.

I knew it, Reina is a brocon. She blushed so much seeing her brother wear a mawashi belt plus she was adorable when she said she wouldn't go home without her oniichan. I'm sure the other guys have noticed.

Some of the guys are thicc but muscular at the same time like Sousuke. I can't tell if he's fat or muscular, he seems to be a combination of both.
臭い-
Oct 31, 2018 4:29 AM

Jul 2008
Hmmm, now we've meet the Kuchiki Byakuya of this anime.
Nov 2, 2018 8:29 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The typical episode with the typical outcome....The "chibi" Sumo Boy waked up a giant!!! kekeke
Nov 9, 2018 5:44 PM

Jun 2015
40 freaking manga chapters in one hour of anime... Dropped.
I hope this sells the manga enough: its detail, its fights, its characters, it is very well constructed and you should check it out.
OtakanimeNov 11, 2018 9:40 AM
Dec 4, 2018 3:46 AM

Mar 2017
even Asta joins the fray!?
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Sep 30, 2019 2:39 AM

Jul 2015
Animation definitely feels off, and I'm sad that they skipped a lot of parts of the manga because the story is pretty intersting

Ushio has a lot of rivals from elementary school days, not sure what it means to be a national treasure, hopefully they explain it later

Jan 25, 7:35 AM

Jun 2022
Op & Ed Are Damn Good , Dropped First Time Cuz Of Cliches. Sports Anime Have A Lot Of Them & I Got My Fill Of It Through Kuroko Basketball . Now , Back At This For That Specs Girl , She Might Be The Type Of Gals That I Like .

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hinomaruzumou Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2019

45 by animejas »»
May 28, 7:46 AM

Poll: » Hinomaruzumou Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2018

20 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 26, 8:25 AM

Poll: » Hinomaruzumou Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

18 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 25, 8:15 PM

Poll: » Hinomaruzumou Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2018

20 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 25, 7:59 PM

Poll: » Hinomaruzumou Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2018

27 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 25, 7:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.