Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 21, 2014 5:38 AM
Feb 2009
fuck idk how stupid Aoba can get honestly...
Jan 21, 2014 6:11 AM

Jan 2010
Good episode, even though the battles are not much hype and excitement has fallen a bit, see Hina in 'enemy' troops was something I did not expect, it was worth the episode. I do not like the excessive protagonism by the Aoba ... but it's a shounen, right. And he left the meccha stupidity level was more than eight thousand.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Jan 21, 2014 6:32 AM
Nov 2009
Rewatched episode 1 and realized that the mech that attacked Aoba and Hina was from the Zogilian faction.

And Dio is acting like a b*tch as usual in this episode. I kinda see how this show will go from here and I'm liking it. 4/5
Jan 21, 2014 6:36 AM

Aug 2012
it started great but when he saw the girl, guy became completely lame... :(

someone else always have what you want, but it usually means nothing to them...
Jan 21, 2014 6:45 AM

Mar 2009
ekushiria said:
omega_d94 said:
So the 2nd wave battle begins with Zogilia attacking Dio's squad again. So Hina is on the opposite side, with no memories of any interactions between her and Aoba huh.

The battle was pretty good, but needs to balance itself from the story. Well it's the 3rd episode so i'll keep wait until interesting happens later episodes.

Isn't it because this Hina is different from the time traveling Hina?

It's not that it's a different Hina, it's that it's the "earlier" Hina. The Hina that he fought with hasn't went to the past yet, therefore it's pretty apparent that this was this Hina's first encounter with Aoba. So I'm assuming the are the events that start off the later need for Hina to go to the past. Do that make any sense?

Great episode! Yes, it's got your typical Sunrise tropes, but the time travel element is a nice change of pace for Sunrise.

The aerial fighting is beautifully done by Sunrise, as always! The coupling is a nice feature as well. The fact that Dio was also having images transmitted from Aoba, and performing so well, indicates that Aoba has some natural skills. So, it looks like he will become the best pilot on the team. This premise is standard Gundam fare, but nicely executed. Which also means, it will keep the animosity from Dio even stronger, or they could go the other way with it, and use it to make Dio acknowledge Aoba's strength. Either way, I'm sure the beginning of the next ep with start with Dio screaming something like, "What the hell were you doing, let's execute him, he's clearly a spy working with the enemy!". Or something along those lines.

All in all, I'm enjoying this series so far. It has potential to be another great Sunrise mech, we'll see where they take it.

Urahara Out!!
Jan 21, 2014 8:29 AM

Jun 2012
bjorno said:
Aoba is going to get yelled at for sure at the next episode. Dio is getting on my nerves. He acts annoying to Aoba. Hope it will get better....
Not sure about it getting better in the next few episodes. He is getting on my nerves too, acting like a dick, but he nearly got killed because Aoba wanted to save an enemy pilot. I expect Dio to punch Aoba in the face, and I would understand why.
Jan 21, 2014 8:39 AM

Oct 2013
xchee said:
Oh god. Come on Coupling system! Share some of Dio's bad ass'ness with Aoba >__< I facepalm'd so much during that forced decoupling sequence, my forehead hurts now.

Oh and question! How did Hina's hair clip remain with Aoba? Time-traveler Hina's not supposed to exist in that timeline right? Why is it still there?

Actually, the hair clip should be given by Aoba to Hina here at this time at a later stage. That was why Hina had it when she traveled back.

xehnri said:
For the first time in a long while, I found an anime that I'd enjoy rewatching. I think I watched ep2 3x. This episode 2x. In both episodes I repeated several key scenes to understand them more. Was really excited when the first ep aired though.

I hope they manage to make a great anime out of this one! The premise is very interesting.

Me, too. I'm starting to rewatch this. I'm getting Gundam 00 vibe and given that I love G00, I think I'm gonna enjoy this a lot.

Also, the fight in the episodes until now looks good. Everyone gets their screen time.
Jan 21, 2014 8:44 AM

Oct 2011
heiqi1hu said:
xchee said:
Oh god. Come on Coupling system! Share some of Dio's bad ass'ness with Aoba >__< I facepalm'd so much during that forced decoupling sequence, my forehead hurts now.

Oh and question! How did Hina's hair clip remain with Aoba? Time-traveler Hina's not supposed to exist in that timeline right? Why is it still there?

Actually, the hair clip should be given by Aoba to Hina here at this time at a later stage. That was why Hina had it when she traveled back.

xehnri said:
For the first time in a long while, I found an anime that I'd enjoy rewatching. I think I watched ep2 3x. This episode 2x. In both episodes I repeated several key scenes to understand them more. Was really excited when the first ep aired though.

I hope they manage to make a great anime out of this one! The premise is very interesting.

Me, too. I'm starting to rewatch this. I'm getting Gundam 00 vibe and given that I love G00, I think I'm gonna enjoy this a lot.

Also, the fight in the episodes until now looks good. Everyone gets their screen time.

She is most likely wearing the hariclip under her helmet.
Jan 21, 2014 8:45 AM

Jun 2013
Always-Hungry said:
I bet Dio is pissed cos of the forced decoupling :P
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Jan 21, 2014 9:38 AM

Feb 2008
What a shocker, the guy actually tried to save the girl who brought him into this mess? And it's so strange to try to get her out of the cockpit and bring her into safety after the machine was heavily damaged. Cause not like there ever has been a mecha that exploded a while after being damaged.

So yeah, don't really see why all the flack, yeah opening his cockpit was taking a risk, but Hina was worth that risk. Especially since Hina is the only thing that holds his interest in that timeline.
Jan 21, 2014 9:50 AM
Feb 2013
Oh dear looks like for what Aoba did by cutting the coupling system, somebody is gonna be pissed.
Jan 21, 2014 10:32 AM
Jan 2014
I like what I'm seeing this ep. and judging from the next ep's title I think Aoba will somehow get rid of his generic MC mindset by then

nice mech fights
Jan 21, 2014 10:48 AM

Nov 2007
Gr33ncar said:
aoba better make a smart decision next episode...he was a complete idiot in this one

This! He might as well be the most stupid character of this anime season if this keeps up xD
Jan 21, 2014 11:09 AM

Nov 2013
Good episode and Aoba´s reaction was somewhat justified, despite being rash.

Hope he sets up his resolve in the next episode.

Jan 21, 2014 11:22 AM
Oct 2010
Aoba actiions might have been dangerous but really speaking, his only connection between that world and his old one is hina. So obviously he'd try to rescue her.
Jan 21, 2014 11:28 AM
Jan 2014
I don't get why there's so much hate on Aoba on how he acted in that situation. Aoba panicked plain and simple. The revelation that the enemy he was fighting was Hina was one thing but adding the thought that he may have killed her was what made his succeeding actions more believable.

Did you see how bad the situation looked after he sliced open Hina's cockpit? Burn marks on her suit, broken helmet, debris everywhere. How would you react to that? Probably like how Aoba did.

At this point he also doesn't know that this Hina (Zogina) was technically not the same Hina (Yuujina) (see what I did there? ;P) he was friends with. The only time he came to his senses was when she took a couple of shots at him.

Like most have already pointed out Aoba is a civilian, not a soldier, he may have gained piloting skills but he is in no way battle hardened. Checking if Hina was safe was what mattered most and that was what I think he tried to do in his moment of confusion and panic.
Jan 21, 2014 11:52 AM

Sep 2011
Nope_ said:
That well done CGI. The fights in this episode was pretty good.
yah i have to say they are doing cgi very well in this series, mixing it in with axtual animation on the mechs and only using it for when it'd be a bit too much to animate with 2D is a smart choice and makes everything look nice
Enjoyable episode, action si fast and fun, i liked the scene between hina and aoba, and i have to say aoba is starting to feel a bit more likable

though sadly even though i think the series is improving with each episode the scale of the story and the amount of characters and ideas are way too big to fit in only 12 episodes so i think this may sadly be a mess in the end

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 21, 2014 2:01 PM

Nov 2009
Some more fighting scenes in this episode and it resembles more and more like Gundam. I enjoyed the coupling sequence and Hina being on the opposite side still poses a mystery yet to be solved. I wonder what Aoba will decide to do from now on?

5/5

Jan 21, 2014 2:03 PM

Nov 2008
This one slid off the table pretty quickly...

"A new power source, unobtainium"... (or something like that). And the Evil Plot coming out of Central Asia? That's so 1930's. I expect The Shadow to show up at any time...

So somehow everyone forgot about nuclear weapons during most of the 21st Century?

And the mechas have gun systems like early 1940's fighter planes - did everyone forget about computerized fire control during the 21st Century too?

Oh well, there's no point continuing to be disappointed, so I'm giving up on this one.
Jan 21, 2014 2:27 PM
Aug 2012
Aoba falling asleep and the girl reaction.

Aoba force decoupling i think it's really hurt lol XD.

and here i though Hina already know aoba Because of her reaction when he said, im Watase aoba , and sudden shooting lol.
Jan 21, 2014 5:10 PM

Jul 2008
Deeprise
Jan 21, 2014 5:55 PM

Aug 2013
heiqi1hu said:
xchee said:

So Aoba gives the clip to future-Hina. Future-Hinathen goes to the past and becomes time-traveler Hina. She rescues Aoba and bring him to the future. Time-traveler Hina ceases to exist in this timeline. Clip remains. Aoba meets enemy pilot future-Hina.

My head hurts >__<
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 21, 2014 7:08 PM

May 2009
Lyfa said:
Gr33ncar said:
aoba better make a smart decision next episode...he was a complete idiot in this one

This! He might as well be the most stupid character of this anime season if this keeps up xD

How is he an idiot?
He just traveled 70 years into future and finally saw familar face.
Stop exaggerating.

Mod Edit: provocative word removed.
ThangLongJan 27, 2014 8:09 AM
Jan 21, 2014 8:06 PM

Sep 2011
bastek66 said:
Lyfa said:
Gr33ncar said:

How is he an idiot?
Stop exaggerating.

People are being FAR too hard on Aoba. What he does is pretty rational, do they expect him to become? a loyal soldier of the forces and be buddy-buddy with everyone after what... a few hours and never even SEEING a mech?

At least he is not being wishy washy with girls like most harem protagonists. God.... He seems like a healthy person, not that studious or forward thinking but normal.

Mod Edit: provocative word in quote removed.
ThangLongJan 27, 2014 8:09 AM
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jan 21, 2014 8:08 PM

Sep 2011
^ agreed, and another thing people are really not giving him credit for, they are all ignoring how he completly bypassed the typical
"no i dont want to fight for you or fight in general so i wont do anything"
cliche so many characters are like in the transported to a new world/time period trope, all things considered hes pretty ballsy so far.

Mod Edit: quote tower fixed.
ThangLongJan 27, 2014 8:11 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 21, 2014 8:22 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah! The twist is pretty good. Guess it'll somehow workout between Aoba and Hina
Jan 21, 2014 8:43 PM

Sep 2011
NotJizzyHitler said:
agreed, and another thing people are really not giving him credit for, they are all ignoring how he completly bypassed the typical
"no i dont want to fight for you or fight in general so i wont do anything"
cliche so many characters are like in the transported to a new world/time period trope, all things considered hes pretty ballsy so far

Like Guilty Crown? Valvrave? He definitely isn't bitching, just isn't interesting but definitely bearable.

ThangLongJan 27, 2014 8:12 AM
Jan 21, 2014 11:21 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
leemeru said:
It's sad to see people put an anime off due to "conventional" premise. We're in a age where nearly everything has been done. Nothing is original anymore. Concepts are still there but it's all about how they tell the story. So far up it seems pretty good. I've face palmed maybe a couple times but it doesn't beat face palming madness that is valrave. So I'd say it's a pretty good 3rd ep.

I think this series is way TOO conventional.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 22, 2014 12:59 AM

Jun 2013
Soul-Master said:
Wait, has it been stated that this series will be 1-cour?
I think the way the story is progressing is pretty good, it will lead to a rushed ending.

Well, Mobile Suit Gundam Origin will be starting this year, so Buddy Complex won't be still running when it drops. This is just filler until then.
Jan 22, 2014 5:24 AM

Oct 2009
The action was superb, the CGI is really well done in this.
This still suffers a bit from being generic as hell, especially how AobaXHina thing is going but I like it :)
Jan 22, 2014 6:25 AM

Apr 2011
While Aoba made a mistake there, I praise him for quickly learning to pilot his valiancer. He still have lots of room for development. We still have yet to see of what he can do in the future.
MagitoJan 24, 2014 8:40 AM
Jan 22, 2014 11:26 AM

Dec 2008
That was quick. I thought it would be several episodes later before Aoba found Hina. Then I realized it's only going to be 12 eps. Curious to find out how Hina, who's fighting for the Zogilias, ended up traveling to the future to save a future Confederacy member.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 22, 2014 3:40 PM

Mar 2012
GodlyKyon said:
bastek66 said:
Lyfa said:
Gr33ncar said:

How is he an idiot?
Stop exaggerating, dimwitts.

People are being FAR too hard on Aoba. What he does is pretty rational, do they expect him to become? a loyal soldier of the forces and be buddy-buddy with everyone after what... a few hours and never even SEEING a mech?

At least he is not being wishy washy with girls like most harem protagonists. God.... He seems like a healthy person, not that studious or forward thinking but normal.

Aoba isn't stupid, he just doesn't give a shit regarding anything except for Hina. He doesn't care about the war, or anything related to the political setup of this future, so he sleeps through is lessons. He doesn't want to pilot Luxon, but he also quickly agreed to it because that was the best decision for his own survival (and he was shaking even when he was in the pilot's seat). Nobody told him de-coupling would completely screw over Dio, and it looked like everyone else was keeping the enemies at bay.

He opened his hatch because he wanted to make sure Hina was alive, and probably felt it was too dangerous to leave her exposed and unconscious. Remember, to him, Hina is the most important thing in his life right now, as she's his only link to his own timeline.
Jan 24, 2014 6:17 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
DioxAoba: It's practically canon. "Nice coupling" and all that.

Jan 24, 2014 9:07 AM

Apr 2011
Esclair said:
Aoba isn't stupid, he just doesn't give a shit regarding anything except for Hina. He doesn't care about the war, or anything related to the political setup of this future, so he sleeps through is lessons. He doesn't want to pilot Luxon, but he also quickly agreed to it because that was the best decision for his own survival (and he was shaking even when he was in the pilot's seat). Nobody told him de-coupling would completely screw over Dio, and it looked like everyone else was keeping the enemies at bay.

He opened his hatch because he wanted to make sure Hina was alive, and probably felt it was too dangerous to leave her exposed and unconscious. Remember, to him, Hina is the most important thing in his life right now, as she's his only link to his own timeline.

Yeah I agree.

Even though what he did was stupid, for him it was perfectly natural.

ThangLongJan 27, 2014 8:15 AM
Jan 25, 2014 9:15 PM
Jan 2010
wakka9ca said:

better then unconventional crap like Valvrave
Jan 25, 2014 10:25 PM
Sep 2013
So I guess thinking about a girl ruined the homo-ness and caused a forced decoupling huh? Makes sense.

And Hina's story is probably pretty simple. The Hina from the first episode is from a different timeline, where Aoba did not come to the future. In that timeline, she started out on the Zogilia side as well but something caused her to switch sides or something along those lines.
Jan 25, 2014 11:02 PM

Sep 2011
Zero-11 said:
wakka9ca said:

better then unconventional crap like Valvrave

When people talk about conventional... They mean that it is like most Mechas series out there?
Jan 26, 2014 5:49 AM

Feb 2010
So much Seed melodrama vibe in this, coupling system, oh man... The action sequences are great though and fortunately takes most of the episodes, so it's worth watching so far.
Jan 26, 2014 8:53 AM

Sep 2011
Now that I actually watched it, it really isn't all that odd that Aoba wanted to get Hina. He knew nothing about mechs and just helped out as a side job.

Shouldn't have been asleep when Mayu was talking tho.
Jan 26, 2014 12:53 PM

Jun 2012
Well, I guess it just remains to be revealed whether this will be the same future as the two who went back in time came from, or if it will end up differently. I can assume the Aoba that episode 1's Hina knew was also from the past of her timeline... but if that's the case I wonder why he would have traveled to the future in the first place.

I'm also curious to see the Alliance's reactions about Aoba knowing the enemy, and causing so many problems mid-battle. I really hope Lee isn't dead though, because he seemed like a pretty cool guy.
Jan 26, 2014 4:28 PM

Feb 2013
Hina is quite the pilot.

I thought she was going to be captured this episode... guess that will have to wait for some other time (if they even go that route).
Jan 26, 2014 5:21 PM

Sep 2011
BurntJelly said:
Hina is quite the pilot.

I thought she was going to be captured this episode... guess that will have to wait for some other time (if they even go that route).

That really is odd, since this has only 12 eps.

Of course, this could all mean that season 2 was already planned. So far I don't dislike this series.
Jan 27, 2014 8:24 AM

Dec 2012
People who bash Aoba for this action should understand that his risky action had created a very positive impression with Hina. It takes a lot to convince a girl that you are from the past and will do everything to protect her. Aoba risking his life is the crucial step to prove his story since no one would believe a random person in a random occasion telling a time travel story otherwise.
Jan 27, 2014 4:10 PM

Jan 2009
1. Intense battles

2. love seeing both perspectives in the battle field

3. Very curious to see why Nina is on the other side

9/10
Jan 27, 2014 4:17 PM

Sep 2011
ThangLong said:
People who bash Aoba for this action should understand that his risky action had created a very positive impression with Hina. It takes a lot to convince a girl that you are from the past and will do everything to protect her. Aoba risking his life is the crucial step to prove his story since no one would believe a random person in a random occasion telling a time travel story otherwise.

I think some stupid things that harem protagonists do tends to also have this kind of effect.
Jan 30, 2014 8:34 AM
Jan 2014
I dont get the hate for aoba in this episode one it already establishes hes a person who do anything for his friends but in this case his friend and link to his past is his enemy for him it was a natural reaction to make sure she was alive
Feb 7, 2014 3:59 PM
Aug 2011
This show is just so below average.

MrNTR said:
So I guess thinking about a girl ruined the homo-ness and caused a forced decoupling

Exactly what happened. Dropped.
Feb 14, 2014 5:25 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Discrete episode, do not miss the action in the story that has to Aoba against this mast that only ever talking of his savior.
Plot starts moving, interesting.
Animations and beautiful designs, yet despite the nonsense of Aoba, the series seems nice.
Let's see if the next episode the plot will make a big step forward! * _ *
Feb 14, 2014 8:19 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
MrNTR said:
So I guess thinking about a girl ruined the homo-ness and caused a forced decoupling

Coupling seems to be on the basis that two people are in sync with the same goals.

Aoba wanting to save Hina? Goes against Dio who wishes to defeat her, hence they are no longer synced...

PLUS, he did open his freaking cockpit, and moved away from the headset/transmitter thingys in the seat. No wonder, he went out of wifi range.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2014

74 by TheSelleri »»
Jun 27, 2:48 PM

» Why does this feel like it should have been longer? (Potential spoilers)

Damolisher - Nov 1, 2021

3 by TheOnlyOneTM »»
Jun 10, 5:36 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2013

218 by aleinam »»
Mar 8, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2014

199 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 7, 2023 5:45 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2014

153 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 6, 2023 8:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.