Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 2, 7:18 PM
Jun 2019
lol reina such unlikable character always biased toward taki-sensei
Jun 2, 7:51 PM
Jan 2020
Disappointed by the lack of dramatic payoff this episode. Mayu bomb went down. Kumiko and Kanade were like, no big deal, saw it coming the moment she walked in sort of thing.

The you guys are the same, why did Taki make a change barrage of reactions got drab after the first time. Felt a bit like filler. Percussion teacher prob had the most memorable scene, oof.
Jun 2, 8:08 PM

Mar 2012
I think its ok being a little angry with Kumiko, but, despise that...she is japanese. I think that those attitudes, of not being honest and always think on the feelings of the group, its the major thing for them.

She is the leader that is hearing all the voices, but its shutting her on voice. And this overwhelming feelings and thoughts are just reflecting on her own music. I think she isnt being sincere with anyone one and hersfelf too, just for make the right choice for the group and being at the nationals. Wich is hard. Some people wont be listened to.

I can't see Reina being so stubborn like that, for saying the truth. I think she is strong and have her own opinions. But seeing her acting like that is so...hurtful. She is the kind of character that say out loud things that hurt people without think twice.

---

I was watching some old videos from this anime, and I feel like that Kumiko wants to follow the steps of Asuka, and take care of everybody. And at some point she will break down and say what she is feeling with someone. And i think, this moment will be shared or with her sister or with Asuka herself.

Can't wait to watch the next episode!
CarolinaVitorJun 2, 8:25 PM

Jun 2, 8:10 PM

Jul 2017
It keeps getting better. You can call this conflict low-stakes but it's the believable, relatable intrapersonal interactions that make me love it so much. Hats off to both the author and Kyoani, can't wait for next week
Jun 2, 8:34 PM

Mar 2012
Reply to SoraSenpai
People need to realize Kumiko has no one to open up to about these issues/situations because she has to play the role of president best to her abilities. She's doing what's best for the school but again has no where to go to voice her frustrations. And when she does FINALLY open up to one of her best friends she gets told something horrible. Reina is actually a bad friend in that instant because she put her personal feelings for Taki-sensei before putting herself in Kumiko's shoes.
@SoraSenpai I think that this will be her developtment as a characther. She is lost.

She doesnt know what she wants with her music. She doesnt know what she want with her carrer.

As much she is having the troubles of think of the others and hearing them. To understand her teacher.

When she trully will open up about those frustrations, will be (i'm guessing) with Asuka or her sister.

Its like, she need someone to remind what she really want with all of that.

I dont think Reina is doing a good job too, saying those things for someone that is being working on so much for the things being alright.

She is the glue that keeps everyone togheter at some point.

Jun 2, 8:38 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to watsym
Mayu is such an introvert anxious person that she can't stand being the center of attention, regardless of Kumiko she seems to just dislike the pressure of being the solo.
It's fitting we're ending with a Kumiko-Reina conflict. We'll see how Taki comes into play here and how Kumiko handles the final hurdle of pressure thrown at her, because this episode she was trying to hide from it as much as she could. She's frustrated by how everything was playing out and having to also balance Reina's authoritarian leadership style.

Beyond drama, this is kinda good at exemplifying leadership styles and the right answer is somewhere between those three:

Reina = Authoritarian style
Taki = Delegative style
@watsym this is really interesting, i didn't think about it this way. i guess Kumiko would be near the participative leadership style.

i think in the next episode Kumiko will ask Taki to explain his reasoning for picking certain members over others in front of everyone, so it becomes crystal clear in what areas some players were better than others. he might then explain his overall vision for the competition performance, like wanting to have stronger bass (tubas) over euphoniums; the main problem and the reason for the drama is that the students just don't know what Taki is thinking and what exactly he wants, and so rumors and anxiety spread. we'll see if i was correct in the next episode
Jun 2, 10:11 PM

Feb 2019
Angsty teen girl enjoyers are eating soooo good this week. Why tf are all our girls having breakdowns:Seiyuu radio, GBC, Yorukura, Sasakoi, Hibike etc.

What does Taki sensei even do, bro is lowkey the worst coach ever. Doesn’t even console heartbroken students lmao. Doesn’t explain any of his decisions. Like I’m ok with him changing things up to get to nationals and I was onboard with the constant auditions, but you’ve gotta communicate with your players/students as well. And at least encourage those that missed out to get better or things they can improve on.

I think everyone turning on him is natural considering he’s not been transparent. Kinda like a football manager loses the dressing room a la Mourinho, Tuchel etc. Reina pretty much the only one still supporting him and that’s only because she’s in love with him.

Speaking of which, “then you’re a failure of a president” holy shit I had to rewind that scene at least 5x I did not anticipate her being that blunt and nasty to Kumiko all because she doesn’t blindly follow her crush 💀 Kumiko should’ve slapped the shit out of her.

Can’t wait to see Kumiko finally confront Taki next week!

P.S Shuuichi getting upset on Kumiko behalf was sooooo cute 😩
Marinate1016Jun 2, 11:14 PM
Jun 2, 10:14 PM

Mar 2024
Most aesthetic episode of the entire season for some reason (in terms of directing, visuals, scenes, etc).

About the situation in the orchestra: i support Reina's meritocracy. If anyone remembers, at the beginning Taki-sensei directly asked the orchestra what do they want to play for: for fun or for the nationals. They chose the second way. So i dont see the point in whining and complaining that someone wasnt chosen now, since they are striving for a goal sacrifices are inevitable.

But i still wonder why Taki made choice like this.

I also dont support Maya’s hating, she is not guilty of anything and there is more pressure will now be put on her.
Jun 2, 10:56 PM

Mar 2020
Tension builds as the training camp rages on, and a tough "break-up" for Kumiko and Reina...

Following the audition results being announced, it was expected that everyone would be tense. Some people push on despite the results, and some scratch their head at the baffling choices from Taki. With all these conflicting emotions, the band is gripping their instruments a little too tightly, playing stiffly. Kumiko, in the middle of all this, must be whirling with emotion from the fact that she wasn't chosen to do the soli, but what makes things worse for her is Mayu's people-pleasing attitude conflicting with her idea that the best should play. Every time I see Kumiko and Mayu talk to each other, I get tense, because I really do feel for Mayu here. Out of everyone who talked with Kumiko, I believe Kanade was the one that offered the most solace for both Kumiko and herself, and believe me, I think she could be a good leader after Kumiko, Reina, and Shuuichi graduate.

Now, for the elephant in the room, Reina. Did she handle this well? Absolutely not. Do I get where she's coming from though? Sure. Here is a person that has known no failure, the top of the class, possibly the most feared, or respected, depending on how you look at it, and to see the two people she trusts the most have opposing viewpoints, must be a shock to her. She's standing on her pedestal, and the peasants all pouty must be frustrating for her to watch, so she lashed out at Kumiko. There'll be a rift for sure, but her worshipping of Taki is not the best attitude to go about this, and in the end, that's why she's not the president. Kumiko will have so much to deal with going forward, but she'll show us all why she is the president that gets Kitauji to the best they can be.
Jun 2, 11:14 PM
Mar 2019
It appears to be a common theme with feel good anime I[m watching this season: Episode 9 is where the major conflict comes up. Another test of friendship. Let's see where this leads.
Jun 2, 11:33 PM
Jan 2018
It's clear why Taki chose Kuroe this time for the soli. If they are both equally capable, then clearly he is testing them both out before nationals and seeing who works better as the soli euph. Why is everyone so oblivious to this? Gotta agree with Reina that they are whining, but she was way too harsh to Kumiko for her simply listening to their bandmates' concerns.
Jun 3, 12:42 AM
Jan 2022
first mayu now reina 😢
Jun 3, 12:46 AM

Jul 2013
At this point, just record the entire audition and make a spreadsheet with the reasoning behind the decision so that everyone could shut up about it lol
Jun 3, 12:47 AM
Jan 2022
Reply to Evil_Narwhal
It's clear why Taki chose Kuroe this time for the soli. If they are both equally capable, then clearly he is testing them both out before nationals and seeing who works better as the soli euph. Why is everyone so oblivious to this? Gotta agree with Reina that they are whining, but she was way too harsh to Kumiko for her simply listening to their bandmates' concerns.
@Evil_Narwhal but wouldnt he have already tested them both and figured out who to pick from the auditions instead of testing them performance wise?
Jun 3, 12:58 AM

Feb 2008
I am on team Kumiko here. Reina's last line directed to her was terrible, rude and not something you tell to a friend, even if you're a competitive person.

It is possible that Reina has multiple motives as to why she confronted Kumiko but to me, she's just blinded by love, she only trusts Taki's judgement over the other band members opinions. I don't hate Taki but I think he's in the wrong here: Kanade and Hazuki said it better than me, his decisions this season are weird and I honestly believe he's testing Kumiko and her president skills.

I also agree that the Mayu bomb kind of faded this episode, and instead we got the old Reina in the mix because she was upset Taki's judgment was being doubted. I think Reina needs to keep on growing this season. One last thing: Kumiko is doing an AMAZING job as president of the club, her internal doubts are another thing. I don't think pleasing both Shuu and Reina was a mistake, Taki has some explaining to do.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Jun 3, 4:59 AM

Aug 2020
I love this series so much. Wish it could last forever ❤

Jun 3, 5:13 AM

Oct 2017
read the goddmn atmosphere mayu, just dont unknowingly rubbing salt into other people wound

Jun 3, 1:16 PM

Sep 2015
Mayu: See told ya this gonna happen.

Reina: Don’t doubt our savior. Just git gud.

Kumiko: Why I do even have to babysit these mfs. I just wanna play some music. Just tell me why you did this you dumb sensei so I can explain to these babies.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
Jun 3, 5:06 PM

Jan 2008
I'm REALLY getting sick of Reina's shit. Just go suck Taki's dick already, that's all you ever think of. The guy could be fucking all the members in the ass and you'd still think it's a great idea. DICK RIDER! Meanwhile Taki's in his corner probably thinking "Well, if they have a problem with this, I'm sure they'll come talk to me about it".
DmonHiroJun 3, 5:13 PM
Jun 3, 6:14 PM

Nov 2019
Reply to LosTakeover
Cawambar said:
i love reina but why did she say that omg

After Reina said that, I really hope Kumiko can prove Reina wrong that something is not processing right with Taki Sensei, something in his decision making isn't adding up I'll be honest. Because if Mayu and Kumiko are on equal footing, that's very much true what they said, why would you choose the player that's gonna cause nothing but tension throughout the entire band and not pick Kumiko, the club president and the one who's been in the band all 3 years?? I hope to God Kumiko says something good and stands up to everyone!
@LosTakeover I think Reina was a bit over the top in this episode. It was a bit harsh even for her.

As a musician myself, it occurs to me that this might not be about ability, but rather about style. Different players have different and often noticeable styles that can make them good for certain pieces but inappropriate for others. Taki may be deciding based on the needs of the particular composition that they are working on. Unfortunately we as an audience have not been given much chance to hear the piece they're working on to understand it either. I wish they had included more music in this season.

Jun 3, 7:04 PM

Oct 2009
I don't get the whole point of Kumiko's drama. I mean I guess they're all in highschool but taking it out of this immature context, why is it suddenly a big deal when it was she who wasnt chosen? I think the only sane opinion was from Hazuki when she said it was just like this losing an audition and it just motivated her to do better.

This happens in the real world and if Kuroe IS just as good as Kumiko, then Taki and the whole band can be open with her too. It's just hypocritical that they were promoting 'fairness' but they love to ostracize Mayu. I get girl drama but it's just frustrating from the audience's pov lol If they didn't leave out Mayu all the time, Kumiko and Mayu will have an atmostphere of : "oh man, mayu-chan won this time, but she is not winning the national spot, I am!" kinda friendly rivalry. But Kumiko is also at fault for not being honest about her true emotions.

Mayu can get annoying but I feel she has always been in an awkward spot and Kanade doesn't help in alleviating tension and creates unnecessary drama. No matter how competitive the scene is, in highschool, the instructor does get the final say unless they opted for voting (which will come off as still biased in kumiko's favor bec Mayu is still "an outsider"). I get Reina but she is also on edge and doesn't care for others' mental wellbeing but she has always been like that.

To me, Kumiko is the one coming off two-faced right now
Jun 3, 10:36 PM

Jul 2021
HRinka said:
why is it suddenly a big deal when it was she who wasnt chosen?

Because Kumiko is president and is generally liked by club members.

It's the same situation with the trumpet solo conflict between Kaori and Reina in Season 1. Even back then, "everyone" claimed to be aiming for the gold in the Nationals, but Reina getting picked was met with silent disapproval.

It doesn't help matters that Kumiko and Reina are generally accepted as an "item" within the club (romantic or otherwise), and everyone seems to accept that Reina will be picked for the trumpet part of the solo. I think most club members thought Kumiko becoming the other half of the solo "made so much sense."

As you mentioned yourself, the high school context is also important here, I think. They're all friends and classmates, and how much they "like" someone will always get in the way of the business at hand, even if they're trying not to.

HRinka said:
I think the only sane opinion was from Hazuki when she said it was just like this losing an audition and it just motivated her to do better.

Agreed. But Hazuki's always been the strong and reasonable one, despite her cutesy mannerisms. I loved how she just kept taking losses in Season 1, how she repeatedly didn't make the competition team and was rejected by Shuuichi. She handled those like a champ and had the presence of mind to look after others, like Midori, Kumiko and Shuuichi himself. Not surprised in this case either.

HRinka said:
It's just hypocritical that they were promoting 'fairness' but they love to ostracize Mayu.

Did they ostracize Mayu? I'm sure a lot of people thought Kumiko deserved the solo part, but I don't think we saw any hostility towards Mayu, other than general awkwardness. Tsubame (?) even approached Mayu during camp and voiced her support.

Mayu has always been somewhat of an outsider even before the auditions, largely due to her own actions. She's been pleasant with people, but she's always kept her distance and avoided inserting herself into existing relationships.

Also, you absolutely can stand by "fairness" and "meritocracy" and still disapprove of Mayu's pick... if you believe Kumiko is better. It's unclear how many in the club think that, however.

HRinka said:
Kumiko is also at fault for not being honest about her true emotions.

Agreed that Kumiko really messed up here, but I think the problem is Kumiko not being more assertive in taking charge of the situation, whatever her true emotions are.

Actually, I don't think Kumiko even knows what her true emotions are. She's been a jumble of disappointment, acceptance and a sense of responsibility, which I find very realistic and relatable.

Going back to the trumpet solo from Season 1, Kaori acted on her desire to play the solo by requesting a second audition, but accepted her defeat afterwards, and endorsed Reina in front of the entire club. Which was very mature and shrewd of her. Her "true emotions" were probably of bitter disappointment, which she hid well and eventually got over.

I can also picture Asuka not breaking a sweat in lightening up the atmosphere, making friendly banter with her rival (as you suggested), and turning the club's focus towards their goal.

Kumiko, on the other hand, has never been graceful in social situations and has never had the charisma to mesmerize and convince people. While frustrating for us, I think it would've been weirder if she acted differently here, at least from the get-go. I'm sure she'll take action soon and try to fix this, in her own way.
Jun 4, 3:18 AM
Feb 2016
Reply to LosTakeover
Cawambar said:
i love reina but why did she say that omg

After Reina said that, I really hope Kumiko can prove Reina wrong that something is not processing right with Taki Sensei, something in his decision making isn't adding up I'll be honest. Because if Mayu and Kumiko are on equal footing, that's very much true what they said, why would you choose the player that's gonna cause nothing but tension throughout the entire band and not pick Kumiko, the club president and the one who's been in the band all 3 years?? I hope to God Kumiko says something good and stands up to everyone!
@LosTakeover

Mayu and Kumiko are not on the same level. It's crazy, feels like nobody watched the episode 8 where Reine herself warns Kumiko how bad she is compared to Mayu.

Maybe the subtitles in my language were clearer than those in english.
Jun 4, 3:27 AM
Jun 2023
Marsen-P said:
@LosTakeover

Mayu and Kumiko are not on the same level. It's crazy, feels like nobody watched the episode 8 where Reine herself warns Kumiko how bad she is compared to Mayu.

Didn't see anywhere that the subtitles ever said that at all, can you screenshot where it said that???
Jun 4, 4:07 AM
Jun 2023
Marsen-P said:
@LosTakeover

I just rewatched that part you're talking about, Reina didn't say that Kumiko is bad at all what're you on? She specifically said this when referring to Mayu, "I'm not sure she's good but she has good instincts. She immediately figures out what kind of sound Taki-sensei wants. And she produces that exact sound." That's it.
Jun 4, 4:32 AM

Oct 2009
Reply to perseii
HRinka said:
why is it suddenly a big deal when it was she who wasnt chosen?

Because Kumiko is president and is generally liked by club members.

It's the same situation with the trumpet solo conflict between Kaori and Reina in Season 1. Even back then, "everyone" claimed to be aiming for the gold in the Nationals, but Reina getting picked was met with silent disapproval.

It doesn't help matters that Kumiko and Reina are generally accepted as an "item" within the club (romantic or otherwise), and everyone seems to accept that Reina will be picked for the trumpet part of the solo. I think most club members thought Kumiko becoming the other half of the solo "made so much sense."

As you mentioned yourself, the high school context is also important here, I think. They're all friends and classmates, and how much they "like" someone will always get in the way of the business at hand, even if they're trying not to.

HRinka said:
I think the only sane opinion was from Hazuki when she said it was just like this losing an audition and it just motivated her to do better.

Agreed. But Hazuki's always been the strong and reasonable one, despite her cutesy mannerisms. I loved how she just kept taking losses in Season 1, how she repeatedly didn't make the competition team and was rejected by Shuuichi. She handled those like a champ and had the presence of mind to look after others, like Midori, Kumiko and Shuuichi himself. Not surprised in this case either.

HRinka said:
It's just hypocritical that they were promoting 'fairness' but they love to ostracize Mayu.

Did they ostracize Mayu? I'm sure a lot of people thought Kumiko deserved the solo part, but I don't think we saw any hostility towards Mayu, other than general awkwardness. Tsubame (?) even approached Mayu during camp and voiced her support.

Mayu has always been somewhat of an outsider even before the auditions, largely due to her own actions. She's been pleasant with people, but she's always kept her distance and avoided inserting herself into existing relationships.

Also, you absolutely can stand by "fairness" and "meritocracy" and still disapprove of Mayu's pick... if you believe Kumiko is better. It's unclear how many in the club think that, however.

HRinka said:
Kumiko is also at fault for not being honest about her true emotions.

Agreed that Kumiko really messed up here, but I think the problem is Kumiko not being more assertive in taking charge of the situation, whatever her true emotions are.

Actually, I don't think Kumiko even knows what her true emotions are. She's been a jumble of disappointment, acceptance and a sense of responsibility, which I find very realistic and relatable.

Going back to the trumpet solo from Season 1, Kaori acted on her desire to play the solo by requesting a second audition, but accepted her defeat afterwards, and endorsed Reina in front of the entire club. Which was very mature and shrewd of her. Her "true emotions" were probably of bitter disappointment, which she hid well and eventually got over.

I can also picture Asuka not breaking a sweat in lightening up the atmosphere, making friendly banter with her rival (as you suggested), and turning the club's focus towards their goal.

Kumiko, on the other hand, has never been graceful in social situations and has never had the charisma to mesmerize and convince people. While frustrating for us, I think it would've been weirder if she acted differently here, at least from the get-go. I'm sure she'll take action soon and try to fix this, in her own way.
@perseii
I mean if I want to empathize with Kumiko of course I do. And in adult eyes, they're probably having silly teenaged emotions. It's just that I've been in art school and sometimes Professors do have certain whims in how they judge. So I am more on coming from that POV. Mayu has a lot of faults but even if someone is the President, even Reina was chosen (a first year) versus their old president. Though granted, Reina was a way better choice.

I am not trying to be cold to teenaged woes and I empathize that they all feel sad and frustrated but to say that Taki was suddenly wrong is also kind of a stretch. I agree with Reina's POV of trying something new in order to grab the gold.

But if we are talking about morale, of course Kumiko, Taki and the executives need to be transparent and re-assure their members properly without bias. If you put Mayu as the main character, she is that awkward (lowkey annoying) underdog who too who finally had the guts to perform her best and snag a solo. They're both characters with flaws but I just can't get into the drama of suddenly having this conspiracy theory haha

And of course I understand where are the characters coming from. But these are my own opinions, not forcing fictional characters to do what I want. I mean this can be valuable growth for Kumiko and her shock is very well understandable but others are acting as if Mayu was cunning when she and Kumiko just lacked communication because they're both insecure and maybe competitive in a similar but opposite sense too
Jun 4, 5:21 AM
Feb 2016
Reply to LosTakeover
Marsen-P said:
@LosTakeover

I just rewatched that part you're talking about, Reina didn't say that Kumiko is bad at all what're you on? She specifically said this when referring to Mayu, "I'm not sure she's good but she has good instincts. She immediately figures out what kind of sound Taki-sensei wants. And she produces that exact sound." That's it.
@LosTakeover

Reina also says that Kumiko gets a lot of critics from Taki while Mayu don't get any. From this, I understand that she's better.
Jun 4, 7:54 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to HRinka
@perseii
I mean if I want to empathize with Kumiko of course I do. And in adult eyes, they're probably having silly teenaged emotions. It's just that I've been in art school and sometimes Professors do have certain whims in how they judge. So I am more on coming from that POV. Mayu has a lot of faults but even if someone is the President, even Reina was chosen (a first year) versus their old president. Though granted, Reina was a way better choice.

I am not trying to be cold to teenaged woes and I empathize that they all feel sad and frustrated but to say that Taki was suddenly wrong is also kind of a stretch. I agree with Reina's POV of trying something new in order to grab the gold.

But if we are talking about morale, of course Kumiko, Taki and the executives need to be transparent and re-assure their members properly without bias. If you put Mayu as the main character, she is that awkward (lowkey annoying) underdog who too who finally had the guts to perform her best and snag a solo. They're both characters with flaws but I just can't get into the drama of suddenly having this conspiracy theory haha

And of course I understand where are the characters coming from. But these are my own opinions, not forcing fictional characters to do what I want. I mean this can be valuable growth for Kumiko and her shock is very well understandable but others are acting as if Mayu was cunning when she and Kumiko just lacked communication because they're both insecure and maybe competitive in a similar but opposite sense too
HRinka said:
others are acting as if Mayu was cunning

Were they? This is the part I don't really agree with.

Club members aren't really claiming Mayu did anything underhanded to get the part. Most of the unhappy members only seem to be taking issue with the teacher's judgment.

It's a little different from the Season 1 situation, because the club found out that Reina and Taki have known each other for a long time, giving people reason to believe that the two of them conspired together.

This time around, there's not even a suspected reason for Mayu getting picked. Tsubame directly states that there may have been more complaints about favoritism if Kumiko had been picked, her being the president and the more "popular" one.

HRinka said:
I just can't get into the drama of suddenly having this conspiracy theory haha

If you're talking about the "teacher losing his touch" theory, I'm kind of with you.

The show did not do a good job of letting the audience feel the discomfort and the concern that some club members seem to be having. Granted, the earlier episodes did lay the groundwork; there was a complaint about a beginner tuba player getting chosen over a more experienced one, and there was that time when a lot of the first years almost quit, one of the reasons being the lack of trust in the instructor and the executives.

But we the audience never got an explanation for why the teacher made those choices. A lot of times we didn't get an explanation of what those concerns even are, other than the vague "something is wrong" and "I don't agree." Maybe they don't know what exactly is wrong (they're not experts, after all). But all of this makes it hard for us to really understand or agree with these concerns.

But I'm sure we'll be getting some answers out of the teacher next episode.

HRinka said:
It's just that I've been in art school and sometimes Professors do have certain whims in how they judge. So I am more on coming from that POV.

That's really interesting. But students must have had complaints and their own opinions about the professor's judgment, right? If they didn't, I stand corrected, and very impressed.
Jun 4, 8:26 AM

Oct 2009
Reply to perseii
HRinka said:
others are acting as if Mayu was cunning

Were they? This is the part I don't really agree with.

Club members aren't really claiming Mayu did anything underhanded to get the part. Most of the unhappy members only seem to be taking issue with the teacher's judgment.

It's a little different from the Season 1 situation, because the club found out that Reina and Taki have known each other for a long time, giving people reason to believe that the two of them conspired together.

This time around, there's not even a suspected reason for Mayu getting picked. Tsubame directly states that there may have been more complaints about favoritism if Kumiko had been picked, her being the president and the more "popular" one.

HRinka said:
I just can't get into the drama of suddenly having this conspiracy theory haha

If you're talking about the "teacher losing his touch" theory, I'm kind of with you.

The show did not do a good job of letting the audience feel the discomfort and the concern that some club members seem to be having. Granted, the earlier episodes did lay the groundwork; there was a complaint about a beginner tuba player getting chosen over a more experienced one, and there was that time when a lot of the first years almost quit, one of the reasons being the lack of trust in the instructor and the executives.

But we the audience never got an explanation for why the teacher made those choices. A lot of times we didn't get an explanation of what those concerns even are, other than the vague "something is wrong" and "I don't agree." Maybe they don't know what exactly is wrong (they're not experts, after all). But all of this makes it hard for us to really understand or agree with these concerns.

But I'm sure we'll be getting some answers out of the teacher next episode.

HRinka said:
It's just that I've been in art school and sometimes Professors do have certain whims in how they judge. So I am more on coming from that POV.

That's really interesting. But students must have had complaints and their own opinions about the professor's judgment, right? If they didn't, I stand corrected, and very impressed.
@perseii Sorry saying Mayu was accused of being cunning is untrue. But I just find the pacing is a bit weird. I mean nothing's perfect and I still love these episodes but it just sounds silly to me as someone who had their college work checked by professors (since both music and art is VERY subjective), them judging whether our works are good enough for exhibits or not.

And of course everyone has their opinions about the professors but as students, you can question your teachers why, what to change, etc. There are annoying professors that demand a lot but you know has little real talent. But when it comes to competitions, you either cater your work to their taste or you create jaw dropping art that nobody can deny. I wasn't correcting you by the way, I was just expressing how I'm kinda confused why some people perceive as Taki and Reina as antagonistic (to an extent). Not Kumiko or Hibike cast mind you, just us irl people watching lol

I totally get Reina's POV because the real world especially in creative or music fields, even the most talented ones need to either bend or work hard to the point of coldness. Only intensely focused people succeed or talented to the point of being outcasts. And I know Kumiko is at the crossroads of trying to follow Reina to that intense world or simply choosing for herself despite creating a rift between them. I'm not a genius in my field but I certainly know that experiences like loss are rooms to grow. I just feel like they upturned the drama a bit haha but since they are kids, they will act more emotionally and have awkward moodswings/miscommunications.

I'm sure Taki will give a good reason to Kimiko, and tbh she is trying her best. I hope she and Reina can mend their friendship sooner

Jun 4, 10:04 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to HRinka
@perseii Sorry saying Mayu was accused of being cunning is untrue. But I just find the pacing is a bit weird. I mean nothing's perfect and I still love these episodes but it just sounds silly to me as someone who had their college work checked by professors (since both music and art is VERY subjective), them judging whether our works are good enough for exhibits or not.

And of course everyone has their opinions about the professors but as students, you can question your teachers why, what to change, etc. There are annoying professors that demand a lot but you know has little real talent. But when it comes to competitions, you either cater your work to their taste or you create jaw dropping art that nobody can deny. I wasn't correcting you by the way, I was just expressing how I'm kinda confused why some people perceive as Taki and Reina as antagonistic (to an extent). Not Kumiko or Hibike cast mind you, just us irl people watching lol

I totally get Reina's POV because the real world especially in creative or music fields, even the most talented ones need to either bend or work hard to the point of coldness. Only intensely focused people succeed or talented to the point of being outcasts. And I know Kumiko is at the crossroads of trying to follow Reina to that intense world or simply choosing for herself despite creating a rift between them. I'm not a genius in my field but I certainly know that experiences like loss are rooms to grow. I just feel like they upturned the drama a bit haha but since they are kids, they will act more emotionally and have awkward moodswings/miscommunications.

I'm sure Taki will give a good reason to Kimiko, and tbh she is trying her best. I hope she and Reina can mend their friendship sooner

HRinka said:
of course everyone has their opinions about the professors but as students, you can question your teachers why, what to change, etc.

That's good to know, thanks. I guess that communication is what's missing in this Taki/Mayu situation.

I think the club members are too afraid or are feeling too awkward to directly confront their teacher. Even back in Season 1, no one really spoke up about the trumpet solo except for Yuuko and Kumiko; the rest of the club just silently watched, whispering amongst themselves.

Pretty realistic in my opinion, especially in Japan (as far as I understand it, anyway). Hierarchy must be respected, and one shouldn't be making waves and causing problems.

Taki should've been more communicative as well, but I think there's a tricky balance he's trying to keep. As the musical expert and the club advisor, he has no obligation to explain himself for every decision he makes and every complaint he receives, and in fact he should know when to keep his mouth shut and let the students figure things out.

HRinka said:
I wasn't correcting you by the way, I was just expressing how I'm kinda confused why some people perceive as Taki and Reina as antagonistic (to an extent). Not Kumiko or Hibike cast mind you, just us irl people watching lol

No worries, I just wanted to understand the art school perspective.

Of course I might be wrong, but I think most viewers dislike Reina and Taki's perspective because of Reina's crush on Taki. Reina's faith in the club advisor's decisions may be valid, but it's hard to argue her personal feelings aren't clouding her judgment. Her final words to Kumiko were also way over the line and feel like she's not thinking clearly about the situation.

I also assume many simply don't like the fact that Kumiko got hurt.

HRinka said:
I just feel like they upturned the drama a bit haha

Absolutely no disagreements there, haha. But I'm here for it.
Jun 4, 3:39 PM

May 2021
This was a tough episode to watch. If this is what it takes for the band to get gold at nationals, it's going to come at a severe cost of mental stability for the club.

Gotta shout out Kanade and Kumiko for taking the L like champions this week. I truly expected them both to be in shambles after what occurred, but alas they are troopers. I really didn't expect the angle to be "Taki-sensei's decision making is unpredictable and problematic". Reina being on the offensive over this is making for a crazy dynamic.

I have no idea what to expect going forward from this episode. Mayu and Kumiko are obviously at odds with each other and they don't want to be. Reina and Kumiko are at odds over Taki-sensei... I realize Reina is trying to be the best, but have a heart for the people who are just trying to enjoy high school band. Perhaps toning down the aggression a smidge would be helpful. It's saddening to see the entire band losing focus over this speedbump. It really hit me sideways when even Midori and Hazuki were almost at odds over "picking sides". Luckily Midori shut that down quickly. The tension is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Really gotta love Hibike for being able to portray such emotion. The last two weeks of this show have done some damage to me emotionally. Both in completely different ways. The last few episodes can't come quick enough.
Jun 4, 9:37 PM

Aug 2020
Honestly?

Just the way Kumiko confronted Reina this episode, shows a lot how she has grown as character. After years of indecisions and just accepting the whole thing, it felt amazingly satisfying to see she's now following her own path. Although it was damn painful to see a long-term connection ending like this, it definitely marks the beginning of a new Kumiko: with more ambition and way more centered.

But how on Earth are there only 4 episodes left??? WE NEED MORE
Jun 5, 12:51 AM

Nov 2023
A lot of drama in this episode as well.

Now a new conflict between the two leads.

Let's hope kumiko and Reina get together soon!

Overall another clean work from KyoAni.
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
Jun 5, 6:35 AM

Jul 2021
reina lacks empathy. just because she's better and getting chosen always. she can't imagine the worries and doubts of other people and put herself in their place. she's heavily biased in regards to taki sensei due to her personal feelings. makes her look like a shitty person despite all the confidence and charm she tries to excude.

what midoei said is exactly how i felt and even wrote in previous episodes discussion. no one;s getting closer to winning the nationals if the mood is sour and people are unable to accept the results. what reina said is ridiculous, she thinks the members are robots without feelings, one can't just ignore their doubts and anxeities and focus on playing. must be nice never having to deal with mental issues, reina otherwise she never would have followed her train of thought.

really hoping things between kumiko and reina aren't resolved quickly and it better not be kumiko making the first move. it was very rude and insensitive of reina. licking taki sensie's ass at every possible moment. if allowed she would attach herself to his balls and cock, sucking all day and night never letting go.

despite everything i feel bad for mayu too. its like her worst nightmare came true. this is exactly what she wanted to avoid and despite how kumiko acted and spouted idealism about best should be chosen she too is upset with the results and is questioning taki sensei's judgement.

we have learnt from previous experiences that it is important to have a good atmosphere in the club and everyone should be satsified with all the decisions otherwise a great performance is impossible.

looking forward to seeing what kumiko talks about with taki sensei. i am expecting satisfactory answers from him.

pretty good episode as usual.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 5, 12:18 PM
Jun 2023
very emotional episode !!
Jun 6, 2:28 AM
Apr 2016
well. this episode was a rollercoaster.
i think it's a good decision to show conflicts in a group of people, people who have doubts and those who follow instructions blindly.
reina's love for taki-sensei is clearly blinding her way throughout this season and i can only hope to god that something finally makes her open her eyes soon. really tells you a lot about the age and power gap these two have (yeah this isn't "romance" at all. i'm wishing for their downfall).

on the other hand, kumiko, who is too empathetic of people is forced to fake a harmony in this complicated situation... as much as i love reikumi, reina's obsession and strict behavior is restraining kumiko and her growth towards becoming more self-willed. it's honestly sad realizing that she's unable to sympathize with even kumiko, just for the sake of her crush. like c'mon.

overall this season makes a great point on trusting people blindly just because they're supposed to know better than you.
taki-sensei is great and all, his objectivity is a good thing-- but this doesn't mean they need to trust him with everything. after all, taki isn't going to be the one judging their performance in nationals, it only makes sense to perform a concert everyone is satisfied with.
Jun 6, 11:49 AM
Jan 2023
Reina is literally selfish and toxic character.
Jun 6, 12:12 PM

May 2015
Reply to YamadaNakagawa
@ichirotakekun69 want to accomplish the goals you set for yourself ≠ selfishness nor toxicity
Jun 6, 12:12 PM

May 2015
Reply to YamadaNakagawa
@ichirotakekun69 wanting to accomplish the goals you set for yourself ≠ selfishness nor toxicity
Jun 7, 2:14 AM

May 2021
The idea of Kumiko and Mayu being equal is being pushed a lot. Now, I think Taki-sensei is a better judge but I can't help but wonder if he had an ulterior motive behind this decision.

Jun 7, 5:35 PM

Sep 2017
This was a great episode with some great drama. Reina's blind faith (and her personal feelings) for Taki are seriously clouding her judgement and she's being a shitty friend (and drum major). She's right in that the group needs to believe in Taki to really be able to play with confidence, but just blowing off anyone who has some concern of the decision as whiny is extremely unhelpful (and also just wrong & immature). Really looking forward to the next.

Also I S2G if Mayu brings up not wanting to play to Kumiko again imma flip out lmao.
Jun 7, 9:58 PM

Jul 2016
Ah yes, classic melodrama that could have been solved by directly asking Sensei about the reasoning behind his decisions but of course that's the last thought any of these students would have. Kumiko finally confronting him about it should have happened days ago but well.

And as for Reina, I hope to God her trust in Taki is ONLY because she believes in his musical background and experience, and not because her judgment is being influenced by that dumb crush she has on him. Because I swear Reina's crush on Taki must be the most unnecessary and silly thing this show has.

3/5 episode. I liked it, but also disliked it in equal parts.
Also agree with the "rare Shuuichi W" comments. Him confronting Reina about the future they will leave to the juniors once the Third-years graduate was powerful.
Jun 8, 2:08 AM
Jun 2007
Wow this episode really...
Thus begun Kumiko and Reina "cold war" :(
Mayu on the other hand, she is trying to "comfort" Kumiko but sometimes people just need some space to cool off
Jun 8, 6:27 AM

May 2015
"- The seniors are probably sick of hearing this, but when you play music..."
" - ....you play music. correct?"
" Do you really get it?"

I loved this small part. They are referring to and paraphrasing zen teaching "“when walking, walk. when eating, eat”. The other teacher asks Taki-sensei "Do you really get it?", because of course it is a freaking hard thing not having our thoughts all over the place but being present all the time in the moment and concentrating only on what we are doing. And Taki-sensei in response has a small smile because really "getting it" would be something that is nearing the ideal of satori.
IshitatesoJun 8, 8:01 AM
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
Jun 8, 11:17 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Instead of so many worries and criticisms, wouldn't it have been better to start as the episode ended, asking the teacher directly!
kekeke
Jun 8, 6:06 PM

Nov 2012
I've been waiting for a clash between Kumiko and Reina. Reina's crush is making her hyper defensive and cruel. Reina from season returns. I'm glad Kumiko finally stopped straddling the fence and admitted what she was thinking.
dragynfaerieJun 8, 6:13 PM
Jun 9, 9:39 AM
Jul 2020
reina is genuinely such a fucking child, people who get mad at others for having differing opinions are disgusting. not that she hasn't been an asshole this entire season, but this time she really has gone too far

and mayu is so disrespectful at this point, imagine if someone beat you at something and then tried to give you the trophy because they took pity on you; that'd just make me more mad
Jun 9, 9:51 PM

Jan 2021
Reina has built a crazy shrine for Taki-sensei in her head. I know it ascends to the heavens above

Music godly as always
負けたくない

Jun 12, 8:28 AM

Feb 2019
That was a heavy episode. Hopefully, things get resolved soon.

Some lighter parts though:
- Kumiko saying Kanade was めんどくさっ was funny
- Loved Kumiko and Tsukamoto's relationship
Jun 12, 9:45 AM

Jul 2023
damnnnn man they adapted this part so well
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkHumor04 - Jun 30

204 by defaulticus »»
Oct 14, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IzanaSolos - Jun 23

340 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:51 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 16

90 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Jun 9

95 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:24 PM

» About this season

TEMPEST_1 - Sep 30

6 by TEMPEST_1 »»
Sep 30, 10:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.