Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 22, 2018 3:25 AM

Apr 2017
Gotta appreciate those jiggle physics, clad to see Emily got her payback with butt slapping.

Overall Harukana Recieve was a nice and wholesome show. I would have liked it to handle the ”getting good/practise” phase a little bit more but then again, I think that not going as deep into that allowed the show to be more heartwarming and laid-back. Which I’m totally fine with. In a 12 episodes series that would have been a pretty difficult task to say at least... Last matches were still very intense and full of emotion though! Oh, and OST used in this last episode was great! Props for that!

Hopefully this gets a second season.
Sep 22, 2018 3:48 AM

Aug 2018
Thank you Japan for making an anime about beach volleyball that contained lots of close-ups of female butts, pretty girls in bikini's and the power of friendship! Oh, did I say this out loud? Iether way, I even actully learned a thing or two about beach volleyball in the meantime. Who knew? Good to see Haruka & Kanata win, even though I kinda rooted for the Thomas sisters, but then again, it was kinda obvious who would win because MC sakes. I did enjoyed the anime, though. Seeing pretty animu girls play beach volleyball? Sure, why not? I'm glad I picked this anime up. I was kinda skeptical at first.

Iether way; this was my second sport anime ever. My first sport anime ever was Keijo!!!!!!!! Still I prefer Keijo!!!!!!!! over this one, but since this is my second sport anime ever, it has for now it's second spot in sport anime. You see; I like my sport anime with a PLOT. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Never change, Japan. Never change.

7/10 overal I guess.

P.S.: It was good we had a final glimpse of Tortoise-chan. Tortoise-chan best girl!
Timz0rSep 22, 2018 11:30 AM
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Sep 22, 2018 6:53 AM

Mar 2012
Meh ending.
Yeah Harukana were going to win since they were the main pair, but ffs, at least make Kanata grow out of her pokey and hit the ball.
Nah, better use the stupid "MC wins 'cause MC"...

I fully understand Claire, I'm really competitive so losing would affect me, but I don't think Akari was really needed to keep them together, friendships shouldn't die that easily.

In the end, not a bad anime, expected fanservice, at start got a lot of forced drama but they managed to put that aside and give a good anime centered in the sport.
Waifus only represent ideals
Sep 22, 2018 7:41 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Amazing show, i really enjoyed this show a lot. The intensity both teams showed was very good and despite it being full of boobs and butt it still managed to keep a serious tone when it came to game time. HaruKana really came a long way and I liked that Haruka mentioned to Claire that her final block in the match was because of Claire teaching her that.

The 2nd half of the episode was very relaxful. Nice to see Narumi get a bit more screen time especially talking to Haruka.
That BBQ though, when it comes down to that Claire is my girl she knows what a good BBQ has :)
Lol Emily with that butt slap to Claire xD
Narumi with that catchy ringtone ~

I hope a second season comes or we get an OVA, even if it’s a slice of life episee I’s be glad to see the characters again.

Sep 22, 2018 8:04 AM

Jul 2008
This ending was predictable and stupid. Number 2 team in Japan who have been playing consistently lost to a team with a player with about a year of experience and another player who hasn't played in years?

No way.

Not only should the Thomas twins be in better shape, so not gassed at the end, but the years of experience really should have been big advantage. I understand they were training together, but no way were the Thomas twins going all out in training against them. All those trick shows pulled out of Haruka's ass in the final was just ridiculous.

If anything it looked like the Thomas team were the noobs and really only had one, predictable way to play. Which isn't believable for the NUMBER 2 TEAM IN JAPAN.

Had to drop it a whole point for that ending. 6/10
Sep 22, 2018 8:43 AM

Apr 2018
Overall Thoughts: Besides from the T&A, this show was pretty high quality in the animation department. The matches had weight, and I really enjoy the theme of what it means to cherish a partnerships as well as friendships. I’m looking forward to a potential s2. (7/10)
Minori Chihara <3
Sep 22, 2018 9:21 AM

Jun 2014
Deducted a point just because they let the noob girl win against the #2 team in japan..
2/10
garbage story, garbage animation. Sound effects sound like they recorded a toilet flushing in a public bathroom, then bit crushed it down to 8bit
Sep 22, 2018 10:30 AM

Mar 2013
God of Anime, please make it that, that HaruKana an swason 2 gets, this deservers very well!!!

SaiDrew said:
1st.: How come no one is talking about Ayasa and Narumi leg-stretching exercises??

2nd.: Also was Haruka charging her phone in the middle of the beach?

1st: I do think, because at that time everyone an blackout had, where then everyone had it reboot their cells...xD

2nd: Does say maybe the term "solar collector" ar you? Nowadays is it normal an mobile/portable solar collector station for such situations to have.
Sep 22, 2018 12:58 PM
Oct 2012
I wish Kanata would have surprised the pair with using the "real" move instead of the pokey, but the writer's most definitely keeping this for the nationals (vs Narumi) match
Sep 22, 2018 5:46 PM

Apr 2014
this series is amazing and all i can say is im really hoping this series gets a season 2 loved this series ever since the manga came out though translations just was never a thing for a long while but now with the anime and the and seeing someone has started translating the manga again am super happy so i can continue on

but yeah again really hoping this gets a season 2 cause the anime versions was just amazing
"one step at a time"
Sep 22, 2018 6:24 PM

Mar 2013
I liked the inserted song in this episode, but that's pretty much it
I was hoping that they would at least made the best duo actually win...
But instead we got a BS result... and the worst part is, there's no reason for it to happen.. we could've the same development from kanata and haruka without that bs win...
In the end being a main character saves the day... again...

Overall score 5/10 ~ 6/10 imo
Sep 22, 2018 11:10 PM

Sep 2008
One of my favorite animes of the season, sorry to see it go. Wish it could have been maybe 20 eps to see the rest of the national tournament. 8/10 anyway.
Sep 23, 2018 4:31 AM

Oct 2007
Enjoyed. This was a nice finish. Enjoyed the final bits of sports action.. and I'm glad Haruka and Kanata still friends with the thomas sisters. The steak brought by Claire made me hungry!!

Overall 8/10. There are drops in animation quality on episode 3-4, but I still enjoyed watching this.
Liddo-kunSep 23, 2018 4:39 AM
Sep 23, 2018 4:39 AM

Oct 2007
SweetKiichigo said:
Amazing show, i really enjoyed this show a lot. The intensity both teams showed was very good and despite it being full of boobs and butt it still managed to keep a serious tone when it came to game time. HaruKana really came a long way and I liked that Haruka mentioned to Claire that her final block in the match was because of Claire teaching her that.

The 2nd half of the episode was very relaxful. Nice to see Narumi get a bit more screen time especially talking to Haruka.
That BBQ though, when it comes down to that Claire is my girl she knows what a good BBQ has :)
Lol Emily with that butt slap to Claire xD
Narumi with that catchy ringtone ~

I hope a second season comes or we get an OVA, even if it’s a slice of life episee I’s be glad to see the characters again.

Caught me by surprise, did not know Narumi has that for a ringtone. ^^

Hopefully, they at least give us an OVA. This anime had boring moments for me, but overall it's still fun to watch.
Sep 23, 2018 5:26 AM

Nov 2010
Ugh, we do really need a second season.

Good show, enjoyed it as much as i wanted and i'm glad i gave it a shot.

7/10
Sep 23, 2018 7:40 AM

Aug 2013
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

this > Keijo!!!!!!!![/size]

Of course. Keijo sucked in everything but art and character design.
This one was super enjoyable, characters had engaging personalities and they felt just... alive?
Setting was much better too. I mean, is there any better place for beachball than small Okinawan seaside village?
Oh. One more thing. The soundtrack! Rasmus Faber did amazing work with music again.
Can't wait for OST release (26th september).
Second season when.
rsc-plSep 23, 2018 7:46 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Sep 23, 2018 8:34 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
rsc-pl said:
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

this > Keijo!!!!!!!![/size]

Of course. Keijo sucked in everything but art and character design.

um...

NO

Keijo is a god damn motherfucking

MASTERPIECE

and one of the sexiest things to ever be made

its precisely the art and animation that it loses points in, as the art looks like shit much of the time.... oh and lets not forget the purposefully ugly girls

you tryna trigger me? XD

Harukana almost always looked gorgeous, plus the ass shots were way sexier

even though girl fights > girl sports
Sep 23, 2018 9:34 AM

Mar 2015
Having the twins lose was just bad writing imo
Sep 23, 2018 10:42 AM

May 2016
I liked this series but I really hate when the protagonists win even though the rivals were better (Ballroom *cof* *cof)

So the Thomas sisters practice volleyball since childhood and a girl who didn't play in a while that only use damn pockeys (were interesting at the beginning, then pretty spamming) and a girl with just a year of training won.

So you know the series is good but totally hated that ending.
I like to post in manga forum when I feel it is worth it, so people think. "Shit, is her again" or something.

People asked me where I read certain thing but the rules say no telling where did you read so maybe I am too boring for not saying? Or salty because you didn't check my profile that says don't ask because I hate people to ghost me after that. I love learning languages so maybe I did not read the manga in English.
Sep 23, 2018 4:53 PM
Dec 2015
GoldenEmpress said:
I liked this series but I really hate when the protagonists win even though the rivals were better (Ballroom *cof* *cof)

So the Thomas sisters practice volleyball since childhood and a girl who didn't play in a while that only use damn pockeys (were interesting at the beginning, then pretty spamming) and a girl with just a year of training won.

So you know the series is good but totally hated that ending.

100%

some who think liike me wp dude
they destroy the anime with this ending
Sep 23, 2018 4:54 PM

Sep 2013
I agree with you all team HaruKana shouldn't of won it based on experience alone, it was a still a fine ending in my opinion. A chill last episode, it was pretty relaxed and that Ost song in English was pretty nice. Overall a fun little sports anime with a nice cast and an above average Ost, episode 9 was gorgeous! Anyways I would love to see another season and hopefully the score will go over 7 this anime deserves it.
Sep 23, 2018 5:34 PM

Oct 2010
God damn, how many times is it going to be brought? It is explained throughout the series, several times and with several factors why it makes sense that HaruKana could win this match, and the issue of experience is actually counterintuitive to how sports work many times.

Not saying that now HaruKana are better than the Thomas sisters, after all they just won one match, but damn there are so many reasons why this is perfectly plausible: Kanata, Haruka's talent and fast learning, the training period, the fact they trained with the Thomas sisters and Marissa of all people. The only plausible reason why it sounds far-fetched is because the ellipsis may have messed up with the perception of the amount of training Haruka and Kanata went through.

And seriously "Kanata only uses pokeys" is the understatement of the century. If the show tells you that the character chooses her moves based on tactics and temporary circumstances in the match and that she's good at this kind of strategizing, why are you doubting the effectivity of her choices?
jal90Sep 23, 2018 5:42 PM
Sep 24, 2018 3:53 AM
Jan 2018
yea lets all just pretend a Number 2 team losing to someone with less training then them doesn't actually happen in the real world /s

Sep 24, 2018 12:53 PM

Jan 2013
This was better than I expected, in fact I enjoyed it more than Haikyuu. It did have it's flaws, especially the pacing was off, but it was still pretty good. I wish we get the second season soon. 7/10
Sep 24, 2018 4:14 PM

Dec 2007
Don't want to be too prude but ass bounce, I think i was holding my breath during that match cause when it was over I felt exhausted too, So another season of butt ball is in the making

Sep 24, 2018 6:20 PM

Sep 2015
Best sport anime in the year! The score needs be to higher than 8!
Sep 24, 2018 7:24 PM

May 2018
For an anime about female beach volleyball they really set low around the fanservice and set the actual sport as the center. Good job on not being cliche. Overall this was more enjoyable than expected although not good at all times.
12 episodes were not enough to set up the tone, and with 2,5 episodes for the last game alone there really wasn't much screentime for pretty much anything.
HaruKana winning against Eclair is...giving how beach volleyball is a rather short living sport, let's say acceptable. Kanata played a lot in the past and Haruka is a fast learner, so it's okay.
Eclair winning in the end (by at least 5 points+) would've been slightly more believable though.

6/10
Sep 24, 2018 10:35 PM
Dec 2017
Idc I enjoyed it a LOT
9/10
Sep 25, 2018 4:52 PM

May 2015
The last two episodes were pretty intense and action-packed, with a good finale. Overall enjoyed this show a lot as well, so it sucks to see this one go. S2 when?

8/10.
ReverberateSep 25, 2018 4:57 PM

Sep 25, 2018 6:55 PM

Oct 2008
Of course Haruka & Kanata win..but damn! that was inconsistent, if you are a team in which ranked 2nd in all Japan...you can't lose 95% to a team that is quite new or lower level than you.
but damn! the fanservice and sexiness of both Claire and Emily was top class especially their goddess mom!
5/5.
7/10.

Sep 25, 2018 11:49 PM

Sep 2010
So.... DOAX activity adaptations:

Beach Volleyball - Harukana Receive
"Butt-pushing" - Keijo
Rock Climbing - ?
Jetskiing - ?
Relaxing on a beach / pool - ?
Sep 25, 2018 11:55 PM

Apr 2011
Congrats to Haruka x Kanata pair! This anime was loads of fun.
Sep 27, 2018 4:00 AM

Jul 2008
jal90 said:
God damn, how many times is it going to be brought? It is explained throughout the series, several times and with several factors why it makes sense that HaruKana could win this match, and the issue of experience is actually counterintuitive to how sports work many times.

Not saying that now HaruKana are better than the Thomas sisters, after all they just won one match, but damn there are so many reasons why this is perfectly plausible: Kanata, Haruka's talent and fast learning, the training period, the fact they trained with the Thomas sisters and Marissa of all people. The only plausible reason why it sounds far-fetched is because the ellipsis may have messed up with the perception of the amount of training Haruka and Kanata went through.

And seriously "Kanata only uses pokeys" is the understatement of the century. If the show tells you that the character chooses her moves based on tactics and temporary circumstances in the match and that she's good at this kind of strategizing, why are you doubting the effectivity of her choices?

Because only using pokeys is a dumb strategy as you become predictable. Why the Thomas twins had troubles dealing with that is strange.

Yes, they trained with them and they could be fast learners, but the Thomas twins were 2nd in Japan. 2nd! I think you discount that too much. The problem was the writer didn't make them seem like 2nd. Haruka showed more diversity in her play style than the Thomas twins. No way they get to 2nd place with such basic smash play. And their endurance was laughable. Thomas twins should be in way better shape than HaruKana; you can't improve your overall fitness as easily as they made it seem.

Sorry, but it was just poor writing one way or another to have HaruKana win in the end.
Sep 27, 2018 4:28 AM

Oct 2010
Brushrop03 said:
jal90 said:

Because only using pokeys is a dumb strategy as you become predictable. Why the Thomas twins had troubles dealing with that is strange.

And Kanata didn't only use pokeys, heck, in fact she wasn't always the one who finished, she also received, set, moved through the field, dictated movements, read the timing of the match and adapted strategies to the environment and the moment. Did you pay attention to the matches? It bugs me a lot that you are reducing a character who is constantly strategizing and doing an active interpretation of the matches as "only using pokeys", which is not even true for starters, but it's specially wrong if you try to isolate it from her entire performance as a player like the rest doesn't matter. Heck, even her pokeys do make sense to her tactics.

Brushrop03 said:
Yes, they trained with them and they could be fast learners, but the Thomas twins were 2nd in Japan. 2nd! I think you discount that too much. The problem was the writer didn't make them seem like 2nd. Haruka showed more diversity in her play style than the Thomas twins. No way they get to 2nd place with such basic smash play. And their endurance was laughable. Thomas twins should be in way better shape than HaruKana; you can't improve your overall fitness as easily as they made it seem.

So? Do you think that being 2nd in Japan in an amateur category is some sort of unattainable rank that can't be overcome with talent and training? This assumption that there is a hierarchy set in stone in sports and inexperienced can't defeat experienced is dumb, doesn't apply to reality at all and the worst thing about this is that Harukana actually gives a reasonable space, timeline and set of circumstances for this to happen in a plausible way.

And you are splitting hairs here a damn lot with the fitness issue. Kanata kept training alone after leaving Narumi, she was fit from the beginning and was known as somebody with an aptitude for volleyball who could read the mood of the matches and think through applying her own experience and knowledge of the game; her problem was emotional and it got solved around episodes 3-4, before they went through their strict training period. Haruka was athletic from the beginning, a fast learner and talented for sports in general. There shouldn't be a noticeable difference in their overall fitness and even if there had to the training period is more than enough to justify the scenario. They spent a year with one of the most revered coaches in the category. Yes, the Thomas sisters are great but so are Haruka and Kanata in their ways, they are not just two random girls who happened to join a volley club.

And all of this isn't stuff I'm making up, it's stuff that the show mentioned repeatedly from beginning to end, that it took care to show explicitly multiple times, and that of all things this is what bugs people in this show is just absurd to me. Of course Haruka is an ideally fast learner, but this is mentioned and tackled and that doesn't stop her from making mistakes, struggling with basics and even hurting herself at the beginning. It's not an ideal frame. If anything, it's you the one who is overrating the Thomas sisters and their performance as some kind of unattainable perfection and then setting yourself up for disappointment. We could perhaps find more points of agreement in the way the series displays more interest in the tactics of Harukana than in the tactics of the Thomas sisters, but I would even doubt that it is supposed to make the twins look worse but to put emphasis on the actual MCs. It's not like Emily and Claire are devoid of strategizing, it just doesn't become the narrative focus as often, which yes, I could see as an issue in this match. But to say that their game was basic and simple is a disrespect to a match that had plenty of alternatives and short term tactics in it, and that was pushed to a tie in the third set. Just being able to answer to what Haruka and Kanata bring has to change their game a lot. And it's not like they didn't go with tactics on their own.

So no, I don't agree this was poor writing.
jal90Sep 27, 2018 4:36 AM
Sep 27, 2018 7:40 AM

Jul 2008
jal90 said:
And Kanata didn't only use pokeys, heck, in fact she wasn't always the one who finished, she also received, set, moved through the field, dictated movements, read the timing of the match and adapted strategies to the environment and the moment. Did you pay attention to the matches? It bugs me a lot that you are reducing a character who is constantly strategizing and doing an active interpretation of the matches as "only using pokeys", which is not even true for starters, but it's specially wrong if you try to isolate it from her entire performance as a player like the rest doesn't matter. Heck, even her pokeys do make sense to her tactic

I'm OBVIOUSLY talking from an attack perspective. she exclusively used pokey's after losing her confidence with the spikes. Beach volleyball, unless you're doing a dump, you know who the attacker will be so the fact that the Thomas sisters seemed to struggle with her obvious pokey attack was not believable.

jal90 said:

So? Do you think that being 2nd in Japan in an amateur category is some sort of unattainable rank that can't be overcome with talent and training? This assumption that there is a hierarchy set in stone in sports and inexperienced can't defeat experienced is dumb, doesn't apply to reality at all and the worst thing about this is that Harukana actually gives a reasonable space, timeline and set of circumstances for this to happen in a plausible way.

Amateur category? What? They were the SECOND best team in Japan's junior division. Stop trying to downplay that. Amateur simply means they weren't in a league getting paid. And top amateurs often compete with professionals (e.g. Tiger Woods, playing since he was a kid, won the Masters just a few months after going from amateur to pro).

The poor writing here is that they were the 2nd best team but their play and tactics seemed less developed than that of Harukana. Sorry, but no....I would think a 2nd place team would have played better and adapted. They didn't....I mean pokeys. Claire's consistent use of spikes. No beach volleyball player uses spikes every attack. the opposite in fact...they rarely use spikes. The best player in the match was clearly Haruka and she was trying new things she's never done before (e.g. the top spin shots). Are you telling me the Thomas' mother, who I believe is one of the top coaches, didn't teach them anything but spikes?

So maybe my real issue is that for someone who watches collegiate indoor volleyball and Olympic beach volleyball, the play wasn't even good. This was more like indoor volleyball on the beach where each time is consistently trying to out spike the other where spikes are rarely used in beach.

Sep 27, 2018 8:01 AM

Oct 2010
Brushrop03 said:
I'm OBVIOUSLY talking from an attack perspective. she exclusively used pokey's after losing her confidence with the spikes. Beach volleyball, unless you're doing a dump, you know who the attacker will be so the fact that the Thomas sisters seemed to struggle with her obvious pokey attack was not believable.

She rarely came to the net, and when she did, this strategy worked in their favor and they scored points. If you are only talking from an attack perspective then don't sell me this "she only does pokeys". She does a lot of additional stuff that is crucial to make the attacks (and defenses) work. And this is said and emphasized again and again, in a series that takes a lot of effort to emphasize that games are dynamic and they need to try different things and anticipate all the time.

I'm assuming you know a lot about beach volleyball so then tell me, how do tactics work? Because honestly Harukana's focus on timing and short term strategies seems a lot more plausible than what you seem to be hinting at. The players were changing their schemes constantly and shifting when they stopped working.

Brushrop03 said:
Amateur category? What? They were the SECOND best team in Japan's junior division. Stop trying to downplay that. Amateur simply means they weren't in a league getting paid. And top amateurs often compete with professionals (e.g. Tiger Woods, playing since he was a kid, won the Masters just a few months after going from amateur to pro).

I'm saying this because you are talking like the Thomas sisters are some sort of Olympic champions when in reality they are just the second best of a junior league. Because there is a difference in level and therefore in how out of reach they are.

Brushrop03 said:
The poor writing here is that they were the 2nd best team but their play and tactics seemed less developed than that of Harukana. Sorry, but no....I would think a 2nd place team would have played better and adapted. They didn't....I mean pokeys. Claire's consistent use of spikes. No beach volleyball player uses spikes every attack. the opposite in fact...they rarely use spikes. The best player in the match was clearly Haruka and she was trying new things she's never done before (e.g. the top spin shots). Are you telling me the Thomas' mother, who I believe is one of the top coaches, didn't teach them anything but spikes?

It is clear that spikes did work for Eclair for a long while. But they stopped working against HaruKana when they could stand up to their game. That's why they did change this basic approach with them at some point in the match. Too late? Well, maybe, I'm not here to say that they did their best.

And you keep saying "2nd best team" like it means something. It doesn't. And winning a match doesn't mean either that Haruka and Kanata are better, in fact they partially won because Claire was overconfident in that last spike. If you are telling me that amateurs compete with professionals perhaps stop shoehorning rigid hierarchies in competitive sports, let alone for a single match.

Brushrop03 said:
So maybe my real issue is that for someone who watches collegiate indoor volleyball and Olympic beach volleyball, the play wasn't even good. This was more like indoor volleyball on the beach where each time is consistently trying to out spike the other where spikes are rarely used in beach.

That's something at least. Not the whatever you are mentioning about Kanata that doesn't even make sense to what the series has shown of her performance. But yeah, I understand better now what you meant about the Thomas sisters.
jal90Sep 27, 2018 8:49 AM
Sep 28, 2018 9:21 PM
Apr 2015
Am I the only one hoping there's going to be a second season to this show?
Sep 29, 2018 3:33 PM
Apr 2018
Sailor-Sedna said:

We need a sequel, I want a whole arc about the nationals.

Not sure if they have more material to adapt though.
Oct 1, 2018 4:33 AM

Oct 2007
SaiDrew said:
Sailor-Sedna said:

Same here. I also want to see the nationals get animated.

Hopefully, sales will be good so they make a season 2.
Oct 1, 2018 4:45 AM

Oct 2010
Liddo-kun said:
SaiDrew said:

What I've read is that apparently the anime is quite caught up with the manga, not sure how true this is, but it would mean that regardless of sales a second season can't be expected in a while.
Oct 1, 2018 5:13 AM
Apr 2018
jal90 said:
Liddo-kun said:

What I've read is that apparently the anime is quite caught up with the manga, not sure how true this is, but it would mean that regardless of sales a second season can't be expected in a while.

I'm not sure either (all scans and fantranslations seem to be dead after volume 1) but oh well, I was expecting HR to end here.
Oct 10, 2018 5:52 PM
May 2016
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
Deducted a point just because they let the noob girl win against the #2 team in japan..
2/10
garbage story, garbage animation. Sound effects sound like they recorded a toilet flushing in a public bathroom, then bit crushed it down to 8bit

seems agree with you.. noob doesn't deserve this..
but because this is sport anime i give this 5/10
Oct 11, 2018 5:55 AM

Aug 2012
Twins should have won. Story wise in terms of the scope of the series it makes much more sense.

Kanata's journey was about getting back out on the court and believing she can play again, Haruka's was about dedicating herself to the sport and her partner which as a newbie is enough of a character arc in a series of this length.

The Sisters though had loftier goals and it makes much more sense for them to eventually win the match. We know that Claire's goal was to avenge her longtime loss to Kanata and the other girl so it would have been satisfying to see her make that first of two steps by winning this match.

I mean these two Sisters have been trained by their Pro mom since youth and yet they lose to a girl with 1 year of play under her belt and another, whom while very good, had been out of the game for a number of years. It's just a bit silly of an ending and should this show ever get a season 2, which I highly doubt, then it'll be so hard to root for a pair of basically novices on the national stage.

In the scope of the Anime's story (ignoring the Manga) and the fact these 12 episodes are likely all they'll ever be the Sisters winning that match makes the most sense to me. The ending could have been exactly the same pretty much. Take the scene in the water with Haruka and Kanata, they weren't talking about going to Nationals after all their hard work. They were celebrating how far they had come. That makes a ton of sense. If they had lost then the mere fact they pushed the 2nd best in Japan to the limit should have been a victory in of itself.

Things like this in the show are why I found it just fine overall. The show didn't earn any of it's attempts at drama, and the main duo certainly across the 12 episodes didn't go on the sort of journey that was worthy of this outcome.

6/10
Oct 14, 2018 8:31 PM

Jun 2011
Such misleading anime, I thought it was gonna be about the sports, yet again, it's a sports slice of life CGDCT. Really not very fond of sports slice of life drama like Battery and Harukana Receive, especially Harukana Receive where at least 50% of the screen time is just your average CGDCT, even though the slice of life moments are not that bad, it's still nothing special. The final match is pretty decent but the matches overall are weak. We're introduced to a couple of characters that won't be relevant after this tournament, most likely, and it felt like a waste of time.

The show started pretty well but it didn't really live up to my expectation. The good thing about it though is that it doesn't go full blown fanservice with juggling jugs every movements and there's not a lot of camera pan onto the girls private areas and such, unlike Keijo that overdo it. Haruka is pretty funny too, she's cheerful and I like it, she's a good counterpart for Kanata who's trying to overcome something from her past, keep the series from going full edgy/emo like Hanebado.

The show definitely could've been better.

edit: oh yea if there's 1 thing I really dislike about sports anime is the fake tension in keeping the 2 teams score as close to each other as possible until the final seconds, this is why I love Go (Hkaru no Go) and baseball (Ookiku Furikabutte) sports anime a lot more, you can turn the table in 1 play, it doesn't have to have that fake "omg is he gonna, is he not?" tension leaving you wondering who's going to win, after keeping the 2 sides at almost on equal terms for the entire match.

BlaizeV said:
In the scope of the Anime's story (ignoring the Manga) and the fact these 12 episodes are likely all they'll ever be the Sisters winning that match makes the most sense to me. The ending could have been exactly the same pretty much. Take the scene in the water with Haruka and Kanata, they weren't talking about going to Nationals after all their hard work. They were celebrating how far they had come. That makes a ton of sense. If they had lost then the mere fact they pushed the 2nd best in Japan to the limit should have been a victory in of itself.
I am not really fussing over Harukana's win because I don't really care much about the result itself but I agree with you. I find that a lot of writers these days seem to think that only by winning at the end of story like this, then a 'character development/progression/growth' would be complete for the main characters, when it's really not the case at all. It doesn't help that I like the blond pair more, couple with the fact that they probably deserve the win more to further their own character growth.
ToG25thBaamOct 14, 2018 8:35 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 16, 2018 4:46 PM

Jul 2015
This god damn ecchi volley ball anime had the nerve to make the last match freaking 3 episodes long... And it was paced so freaking good, and felt epic and tense as all hell for all three episodes, and the music was so freaking badass the entire time like god damn, I felt chills yall CHILLS, MY HEART WAS BEATING OUT OF MY CHEST (I'm exaggerating but man I felt that). This is the mess that makes me watch 30 anime a season, it's because I don't wanna miss out on stuff like this from anime I don't expect much from at first glance. These last three episodes alone were a freaking 10 out of 10 and I'm so glad I decided to watch this anime. this was great. This was a freaking great finale and I'm happy.

Better than Keijo. 9/10. Should add an extra point for the additional enjoyment received through this thread and the intense salt from people who for some reason stuck through this whole thing because they either freaking masochists and enjoy watching things they hate and or just plain stupid lol.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 16, 2018 6:46 PM

Jun 2011
DuoraDoll said:
This god damn ecchi volley ball anime
I disagree on this being ecchi, ecchi is something like Keijo that sexualize their wamen, showing off their bust and ass. While the premise of this show is beach volleyball I wouldn't categorize this as ecchi just because the girls are in their swimsuit. I find this very rare in today's anime where a show doesn't sexualize their female characters and it's a positive thing for the anime imo, so mis-categorizing the series might turn some people who like sports anime but hate ecchi away.

I agree though the reason I also try to watch as many anime as I can every season is so that I don't miss out on really good anime that's being rated below 7 on MAL.
Oct 17, 2018 4:16 AM

Jul 2015
ToG25thBaam said:
DuoraDoll said:
This god damn ecchi volley ball anime
I disagree on this being ecchi, ecchi is something like Keijo that sexualize their wamen, showing off their bust and ass. While the premise of this show is beach volleyball I wouldn't categorize this as ecchi just because the girls are in their swimsuit. I find this very rare in today's anime where a show doesn't sexualize their female characters and it's a positive thing for the anime imo, so mis-categorizing the series might turn some people who like sports anime but hate ecchi away.

I agree though the reason I also try to watch as many anime as I can every season is so that I don't miss out on really good anime that's being rated below 7 on MAL.

Hmmmm, I personally consider it to be... I guess a light ecchi if anything? In my opinion, it didn't feel like much of an ecchi since that wasn't the focus of the anime, but it was there. All the shots and the fan-service is there constantly because of the sport and outfits (which are basically just water proof underwear) but it just doesn't register as much because they aren't putting huge emphasis on that. I don't think it needs to be quite as sexualized as Keijo to the point where you can't help but notice things to be an ecchi.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 17, 2018 5:57 AM

Jun 2011
DuoraDoll said:
it didn't feel like much of an ecchi since that wasn't the focus of the anime, but it was there. All the shots and the fan-service is there constantly because of the sport and outfits (which are basically just water proof underwear) but it just doesn't register as much because they aren't putting huge emphasis on that.
Yea this is the point I was making. The anime doesn't go out of their way to get a boob shot or an ass shot in the camera like many other ecchi series do. A swim wear is still just a swim wear, it doesn't zoom in on the assets like Free does to its guys.

I got this image from one of the Goblin Slayer threads, I personally haven't seen the series yet but I would classify this as ecchi

It flaunts a female's boobs on purpose in order to get a certain reaction from its viewerbase.

I get where you're coming from but if we were to label it as ecchi, it would definitely give a wrong impression to many fans who're trying to get into the show.
Oct 17, 2018 5:41 PM

Oct 2012
Perfect ending! It really captured the team spirit and the melodrama x sport shounen was also well done.

Really like this series! Compared to (very, very) flawed and bad Hanebado this was godsend!

There are only two things not so good on this series:

- Narumi is basically walking archetype. Her charcter was hardly developed and it's hard for viewers to see her as true person but rather as plot device instead. I just hope she gets more depth the next time,
- and it ended with 'to be continued' style although I really can't say it was not enjoyable, quite contrary. And we know 2nd season is coming.

Also, would like to see Akari playing volleyball too, but I guess new character would be introduced as her pair later.

Other than that I had fun, and watching each episode was always great experience. Too bad some character background bits were cut but it certainly didn't feel rushed there is big potential for the sequel.

7/10 Where are you sequel, here I come!
Oct 21, 2018 10:40 AM
Jul 2008
Brushrop03 said:
jal90 said:

Sorry, but it was just poor writing one way or another to have HaruKana win in the end.

Well you don't need to take this anime seriously. I laughed when Emily went to front to spike the ball but everyone seems not to realize her presence at all. Were all the eyes so fixated to the ball? We're then showed flashback how in the past Emily's team lost because of her passive play style. Sadly after that Kanata countered her by sending the ball to back court, the result was Emily became passive again lol.
Same with the back setting, it only worked first time. After Kanata countered that, it seems they never use it again. So every new move performed by the Thomas will be countered by Kanata, end result was they just playing with the spike.
Harukana team won because Kanata carried hard, she's the smallest one, but she has the highest stamina, don't underestimate Kanata!

Seriously I was a bit frustrated the time I saw Kanata just used pokey when those 2 defenders were away from the net, why not just tip the ball over the net?

If you want a more serious volleyball anime, try Haikyuu. The characters are smart enough to not smash while getting blocked and not use pokey when they're not blocked.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Harukana Receive Episode 1 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 8, 2018

24 by Zekkenshin »»
Sep 28, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Harukana Receive Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2018

49 by Ranxomare »»
Sep 21, 5:20 AM

Poll: » Harukana Receive Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2018

43 by Ranxomare »»
Sep 20, 5:08 AM

Poll: » Harukana Receive Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2018

47 by Ranxomare »»
Sep 19, 8:25 AM

Poll: » Harukana Receive Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2018

60 by Ranxomare »»
Sep 19, 1:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.