Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 17, 2009 3:37 AM
Jul 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
Man, how could those men in suits beat up on Ange, that was like messed up.
Now I'm just left to wonder when the whole series came spiraling down for me...

I thought the part where eva dies was more messed up.
Maybe because I wasn't expecting it.
Though I did think the scene with Ange was sad and guys kind of deserved what happened to them.
Dec 17, 2009 3:45 AM
Feb 2009
I just love seeing VN fans raging and complaining about DEEN all the time.

On the episode, I didn't find it to be so interesting. In fact, every part of this arc that had something to do about Angie was boring. I am more interested in what's happening on Rokkenjima in 1986.
Dec 17, 2009 5:09 AM

Mar 2009
Meh episode, gore saved.
Dec 17, 2009 5:34 AM

Aug 2009
Oh, what the hell.

I would be more satisfied if they crammed this episode. How the hell am I going to get BeatoxBattler scenes if they used this one episode for the KasumiAnge scene?! This episode was great, seriously. But what about the next episode? How will they do it?! There are still too much scenes to cram into a 30/25-minute episode...

Sigh, DEEN.. I don't hate you. I just hope you balanced the pace. Not: last episode fast, this episode slow. Goodness..

Okay, I like this episode. I don't know on the next.
Dec 17, 2009 5:56 AM

Aug 2009
One of the best episodes I've ever seen. Loved the animation in this episode! It was perfect!

Umineko's score's getting lower and lower... D: It deserves a freaking 8,5 like Higurashi.
Dec 17, 2009 6:47 AM

Nov 2008
Jumperboy333 said:
One of the best episodes I've ever seen. Loved the animation in this episode! It was perfect!

Umineko's score's getting lower and lower... D: It deserves a freaking 8,5 like Higurashi.

sadly no it doesnt (and no it isn't last I checked Ange wasnt picking up glocks and head shotting people) , and many would argue Higurashi (season 1) deserves a lower score (Kai season 2 a higher than season 1) But as has been said even DEEN has given up on their own bombing series here. *shrug* And at least Higurashi had more Ryu07 input then this.. mess.

(well then SirWence why are you watching!? At first I prayed for the miracle it would get better.. and when I knew it wouldnt.. well you crane your neck to see the car crash or the train wreck.. its sort of like that)
sirwenceDec 17, 2009 7:01 AM
Dec 17, 2009 7:01 AM

Jan 2009
damn, with this the last episode will be another bullet train.

but on the other hand, good episode, and nice troll face

"DAAAAMEEEE"

lol

just hope for a great tea party
Dec 17, 2009 7:04 AM

Dec 2009
Pretty good episode. It was slow, but explained a lot of things. Anyway, I can't see a final in the next episode, maybe they'll make a OVA or a movie, idk.
Dec 17, 2009 7:20 AM

Aug 2009
sirwence said:
Jumperboy333 said:

sadly no it doesnt (and no it isn't last I checked Ange wasnt picking up glocks and head shotting people) , and many would argue Higurashi (season 1) deserves a lower score (Kai season 2 a higher than season 1) But as has been said even DEEN has given up on their own bombing series here. *shrug* And at least Higurashi had more Ryu07 input then this.. mess.

(well then SirWence why are you watching!? At first I prayed for the miracle it would get better.. and when I knew it wouldnt.. well you crane your neck to see the car crash or the train wreck.. its sort of like that)

Are you a VN reader?
Dec 17, 2009 7:31 AM

Nov 2008
hmm why yes, in fact I am. (and I hazard the mangas to)
Dec 17, 2009 7:35 AM

Jan 2009
sirwence said:
*shrug* And at least Higurashi had more Ryu07 input then this.. mess.

I always laugh when I see something like this. How can you possible know that? If anything, with Umineko there is confirmation for certain that he has supervised at least complete episodes and even previews. Higurashi had so much input by Ryu07 that he had to create a completely original anime arc (which frankly, was lackluster compared to the other stuff) for the second season to fill all the holes his absence had left.

Seriously, blame it on DEEN all you want (and Chiaki Kon is certainly responsible for a lot of what VN readers are complaining), but don't lift all the responsibility from Ryukishi's shoulders at the same time. Maybe this media just doesn't lend itself easily to his style of writing (though since a lot of people ARE enjoying the anime anyway, I guess it's a matter of taste and opinion).
Dec 17, 2009 7:57 AM

Nov 2008
I liked this episode itself...
I played some of the VN, not the entire thing...
The next episode will be rushed, and it probably will be bad, which will make me sad
Even though this is nothing compared to the sound novel, i still give this series a 10, just because of the plotline... I love Ryukishi07 that much :3
Hidden Moonlight

隠された月光
Dec 17, 2009 9:18 AM

Oct 2009
OmegaDenmad said:
sirwence said:
*shrug* And at least Higurashi had more Ryu07 input then this.. mess.

I always laugh when I see something like this. How can you possible know that? If anything, with Umineko there is confirmation for certain that he has supervised at least complete episodes and even previews. Higurashi had so much input by Ryu07 that he had to create a completely original anime arc (which frankly, was lackluster compared to the other stuff) for the second season to fill all the holes his absence had left.

Seriously, blame it on DEEN all you want (and Chiaki Kon is certainly responsible for a lot of what VN readers are complaining), but don't lift all the responsibility from Ryukishi's shoulders at the same time. Maybe this media just doesn't lend itself easily to his style of writing (though since a lot of people ARE enjoying the anime anyway, I guess it's a matter of taste and opinion).

As far as I know, there is NO confirmation that Ryukishi supervised any Umineko episodes. They just made a joke in one preview that he had supervised it, because there were Touhou references in it.

Ryukishi essentially co-directed Higurashi Kai, from what I understand. I would say that is quite a bit more input ... wouldn't you? That's why that extra arc was made, because he actually had a little power. Making sure an extra arc was created is a tad bit more power than supervising a preview, wouldn't you say?

At this moment in time, he's far too busy to be supervising the anime, probably. He was releasing Umi Ep 5 when the anime started, he's been writing and creating Ep 6 which is coming out in about two weeks since then, plus his best friend, editor, and website guru BT died suddenly this summer.
Dec 17, 2009 9:20 AM

Aug 2008
Terrible episode. Besides casually bringing up very important information at the beginning of the episode, all this did was reaffirm (for maybe the 10 time) that magic is a half-baked metaphor for love. Then, after all that, despite saying "without love it can't be seen" (and fuck almost everyone who has used that line out of context in these discussions), she proceeds to actually show her aunt (whatever her name is) magic.

Just a mess. One more episode.
Dec 17, 2009 9:22 AM

Oct 2009
It's pretty damned easy to work out what the anti-fantasy explanation for that "magic" is though. (Well, I suppose it depends on how the anime depicted Amakusa -- I haven't had the chance to download the episode yet. Was he carrying a long package while he was on the boat?)
Dec 17, 2009 9:22 AM

Aug 2009
sirwence said:

Thought so.
Dec 17, 2009 9:24 AM

Oct 2009
Jumperboy333 said:
sirwence said:

Thought so.

Yeah, it's always shocking when someone who has more information and experience than you gives a better informed opinion on a particular topic.
Dec 17, 2009 9:27 AM

Nov 2008
June_1983 said:
Jumperboy333 said:
sirwence said:

Thought so.

Yeah, it's always shocking when someone who has more information and experience than you gives a better informed opinion on a particular topic.

I agree it is stunning when that occurs, isn't it?
Dec 17, 2009 9:29 AM

Oct 2008
noteDhero said:

Just a mess. One more episode.

Next episode will be one hell of a ride.
Dec 17, 2009 9:30 AM

Aug 2008
June_1983 said:
It's pretty damned easy to work out what the anti-fantasy explanation for that "magic" is though. (Well, I suppose it depends on how the anime depicted Amakusa -- I haven't had the chance to download the episode yet. Was he carrying a long package while he was on the boat?)

No he wasn't. But with that, I assume you're saying he's a sniper. Ok.
And what's the point in talking about the episode if you haven't seen it at all?
Dec 17, 2009 9:35 AM

Apr 2008
noteDhero said:
June_1983 said:

And what's the point in talking about the episode if you haven't seen it at all?

yep he's a sniper and he says a few cool things on the boat in the VN. Nothing plot crucial just a few nice lines
Dec 17, 2009 9:48 AM

Oct 2009
noteDhero said:
June_1983 said:

I wasn't talking about the episode, kiddo, I was just responding to your statement. I obviously already know the plot, so I just asked if they preserved one particular piece of evidence in the anime which was present in the VN.

Anyway, yes, that is most people's theory on the matter. Amakusa had a sniper rifle with him and he didn't stay behind at the boat as he was told. Good for you, you actually managed to put two and two together instead of just complaining about magic being a stupid metaphor.
Dec 17, 2009 10:13 AM
Dec 2009
Well, now I'm glad I didn't say anything last week. I was just about ready to say that the VN readers were nit-picking, until I saw this. I can only see one of two things happening now: making something up or rushing through the next episode. And I honestly can't decide what I'd rather see.
Dec 17, 2009 10:13 AM

Oct 2009
Just took a quick look at this episode and this part was so Epic. I wanted to see Eva being blown iwth her shotgun for some time and here it is=> Let's also not forget Kyrie's relative with her stupid insulting pigs (they dare to hit Ange! They dared!) being dead and so satisfying it was

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Dec 17, 2009 10:17 AM

Aug 2008
Maybe it's me, but when I come into an episode discussion thread, talk about what I just watched, and get a reply from someone who's already posted a lot in said thread, I assume they watched the episode.

But thanks for the pat on the head.

edit: To bring this back around to discussion, Ange's delusion of Evatrice turning into 86 Eva still needs to be explained. Was there an extra person there that took Eva's form, or was that not real at all, and she just grabbed a gun and shot at the ground for no reason?
Dec 17, 2009 10:21 AM

Oct 2009
noteDhero said:
Maybe it's me, but when I come into an episode discussion thread, talk about what I just watched, and get a reply from someone who's already posted a lot in said thread, I assume they watched the episode.

But thanks for the pat on the head.

Well, that's why I mentioned that I hadn't seen it yet, so that you wouldn't suffer under that misapprehension. I don't think it's uncommon at all for there to be posts in a thread about an adaptation by people who are familiar with the source material but haven't seen the episode yet. If I could download it right now, I would, but unfortunately I can't. Until then, if I see a post I want to respond to, that is on the PLOT of the story I'm very familiar with, then I will.
Dec 17, 2009 10:27 AM

Aug 2008
I don't think it's uncommon either. But in the context of my post, I think it would be uncommon to talk about how easy it would be to figure something out (with a condescending tone) based on evidence that wasn't presented and thereby spoiling me a little bit.

I don't have a problem with you posting in these episode discussions. I only have a problem with the tone and bringing up assumed evidence that wasn't presented in the episode.
Dec 17, 2009 10:33 AM
Sep 2009
Well, I saw two posts(at least a post) in this thread that said Witch-Hunt should be blamed for translating the VN before the anime came out. I know he might just said it jokingly but I think it better to put on a brake early, just in case...

On to the direction of pacing, I guess we only bet on a special DVD or OVA for the whole Tea Party, even though it's a very slim chance.
Dec 17, 2009 10:40 AM

Oct 2008
Veldril said:

On to the direction of pacing, I guess we only bet on a special DVD or OVA for the whole Tea Party, even though it's a very slim chance.

Yeah sure, with the Stakes Valentine, Beato's white day and a filler fanservice beach episode. ;_;
Dec 17, 2009 10:52 AM

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:

edit: To bring this back around to discussion, Ange's delusion of Evatrice turning into 86 Eva still needs to be explained. Was there an extra person there that took Eva's form, or was that not real at all, and she just grabbed a gun and shot at the ground for no reason?

I'm pretty sure there wasn't any other person there. In the VN, Mammon is the one who killed "Eva" I'm not sure why they changed that.

Why is anyone hoping that there will be an extra episode for the tea parties? They are definitely doing them next episode.
Dec 17, 2009 11:00 AM

Nov 2008
hirahira said:
noteDhero said:

I'm pretty sure there wasn't any other person there. In the VN, Mammon is the one who killed "Eva" I'm not sure why they changed that.

Why is anyone hoping that there will be an extra episode for the tea parties? They are definitely doing them next episode.

Yes I was rather.. very un happy with the change of who Killed "EVA-Beatrice" Ange going GLock displeased me greatly.

There was no cause to change that that, though they did drop a lot of Mammons stuff *shrug*

--------------------------

So you're fairly convinced they will try to do a cut and rush job rather then just make up more things like Ange using a pistol ? lol
Dec 17, 2009 11:04 AM

Oct 2009
While VN readers might be right because the anime adaptation isn't as good as the VN, they are wrong for one thing. When you judge an anime, you don't judge how good or bad it was adapted... you judge how goo the anime itself is. And honestly, this anime is really good.

VN readers just can't grasp it and ruin the experience of non-VN readers. I find it pretty amusing that you care for spoilers if you do that to us.
Dec 17, 2009 11:16 AM

Aug 2008
Ehh...
A lot of anime-only watchers have said this, but I'll say it this time: The anime isn't good. It lacks cohesion, life, and understanding. Part of it is the fault of it not having hindsight at it's disposal, but it's mostly due to the fact that DEEN is just not good at letting a work stand on its own feet, relying on fans to watch it only for specific scenes and kind of throwing everything else away. I haven't read the vn, but I definitely have been feeling like the show has been slow to the point as of late, milking scenes that aren't as important as others, and shifting the focus to more clip-worthy "wait-till-you-see-this-on-dvd" moments.

@sriwence & hirahira
Is it possible that the change itself is meant to steer things toward a different direction? I feel like lately, a lot of VNers have been saying "this got changed, I don't like it" and may not be thinking why. I think if we looked at a lot of those changes, that may say something.
Dec 17, 2009 11:27 AM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:

A lot of anime-only watchers have said this, but I'll say it this time: The anime isn't good. It lacks cohesion, life, and understanding.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man.

Quote aside, I'm not trolling. I don't think anyone could objectively say "this anime is bad": production values aren't that low (besides some QUALITY which happens in the best anime); it doesn't have unfinished animation; even though it's skipping details and characterization it's not changing the plot in an unfixable way so it's more respectful of the original story than most adaptions (ie almost anything Madhouse, JC Staff or Gonzo touches), without deviations like gecko ending so far. Consider also that it doesn't have the budget of an OVA or movie series, that it's niche at best (in comparison, Higurashi is much more mainstream, though it could be said that Umineko fans have more of an investment on the series).

You can, of course, say subjectively "it's bad". But when people I know aren't that lost and can craft theories by only watching the anime, and it keeps them interested, I can't really fathom "it's bad" as a possible objective opinion.
Dec 17, 2009 11:28 AM

Nov 2008
to me the changes say "we really didnt actually go through the scripting of the source material" as for the direction , down the drain.

In all seriousness I just dont see what 'direction' they are taking other then to actually change the story itself . Which I would disagree with VN reader or no, I dislike massive source material changes. But everyone likes there own thing.. But I will agree with you certainly Note - this Anime lacked what you said - you will get no debate from me on that point at all.

And how can you say they havent changed dropped skipped over etc - something that isnt unfixable - these novels are not FINISHED - they could have easily dropped changed or flat out made up something that contradicts 6 or 7 ~ And I was being quite honest , I dont want this team or studio to Touch Chiru - "Such a complainer or hater" oh well thats a subjective view of my subjective view apparently :P
sirwenceDec 17, 2009 11:31 AM
Dec 17, 2009 11:31 AM

Apr 2008
noteDhero said:
Ehh...
A lot of anime-only watchers have said this, but I'll say it this time: The anime isn't good. It lacks cohesion, life, and understanding. Part of it is the fault of it not having hindsight at it's disposal, but it's mostly due to the fact that DEEN is just not good at letting a work stand on its own feet, relying on fans to watch it only for specific scenes and kind of throwing everything else away. I haven't read the vn, but I definitely have been feeling like the show has been slow to the point as of late, milking scenes that aren't as important as others, and shifting the focus to more clip-worthy "wait-till-you-see-this-on-dvd" moments.

@sriwence & hirahira
Is it possible that the change itself is meant to steer things toward a different direction? I feel like lately, a lot of VNers have been saying "this got changed, I don't like it" and may not be thinking why. I think if we looked at a lot of those changes, that may say something.

you mean building up to an alternate ending? I shudder at the possibility but it could be. >_>
Dec 17, 2009 11:36 AM

Aug 2008
No, I mean streamlining ambiguities to the actual ending.
Dec 17, 2009 11:37 AM

Oct 2008
Brace for an anime original ending : Battler kills the EVIL™ Beatoriche with Bern and Ange help.
Dec 17, 2009 11:39 AM

Apr 2008
dioptase said:
Brace for an anime original ending : Battler kills the EVIL™ Beatoriche with Bern and Ange help.

I think you would hear countless screams of pure rage and Deen would be burned to the ground >_>
Dec 17, 2009 11:40 AM

Nov 2008
dioptase said:

oh dear I certainly hope not.. I am braced for an AOE though and Braced for a Rush cut job to. But *gag* at the thought
Dec 17, 2009 11:42 AM

Jan 2009
sirwence said:
they could have easily dropped changed or flat out made up something that contradicts 6 or 7 ~ And I was being quite honest , I dont want this team or studio to Touch Chiru - "Such a complainer or hater" oh well thats a subjective view of my subjective view apparently :P

Besides some small details in the last couple of episodes, I haven't seen complaining about particular events in the first 3 episodes; and reading the VN, I didn't notice any change that would be painfully impossible to adapt around. The only really noticeable missing parts are the small characterization: George explaining about tea, Battler thinking why he doesn't believe in magic, some meta battles that went a little deeper, but the bare bones are there in the anime.

Some may say the mostly skipped foreshadowing (for example, in EP2 for Moetrice) was an unforgivable sin, but most VN readers didn't really notice that at the moment as far as I know so people are mostly experiencing the same deal in that aspect. I mean, VN readers...

...at the end, people experiences are pretty similar if you think about it. Just as anime-only watchers went through all the mystery/magic thing, or the troll at the end of EP3, they will experience that spoiler.

edit: That said, I would lmao if they really go for a gecko ending with Bern and Ange being the heroines of the whole thing. But DEEN usually sticks to the source (except for when they go all out with filler from the start like with Rurouni Kenshin or Kyou Kara Mao) as long as the space is there.
OmegaDenmadDec 17, 2009 11:48 AM
Dec 17, 2009 12:42 PM
Dec 2007
It was some great action and great developments once again. Well, Ange is a really cool character after all. I didn't think that the whole episode would revolve around the Ange story only, but I suppose the last one will be great with a final Beatrice vs Battler showdown.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Dec 17, 2009 12:46 PM

Apr 2008
The preview should be out soon
Dec 17, 2009 12:57 PM

Jun 2008
The preview will probably be out in 5 or 6 hours.
Dec 17, 2009 1:06 PM

Sep 2007
Another shitty episode. Great work DEEN!!
Dec 17, 2009 1:07 PM

Apr 2008
really? That's what someone said a few hours ago on LJ I think @,@ oh well
Dec 17, 2009 1:13 PM

Jan 2009
Normally it's uploaded to the site but not updated on the main page until friday. A direct link should appear sooner or later.
Dec 17, 2009 1:15 PM

Apr 2008
Thanks for that info then. ^_^
Dec 17, 2009 1:15 PM

Nov 2008
I eagerly await to see a preview of what kind of cluster f- we shall get for 26 ^-^ ~sigh
Dec 17, 2009 2:04 PM

Oct 2009
OmegaDenmad said:
Normally it's uploaded to the site but not updated on the main page until friday. A direct link should appear sooner or later.

Which site?
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» A(No-Other) Psychoanalytic Take on Umineko no Naku Koro ni

rawruwu - Oct 13

0 by rawruwu »»
Oct 13, 7:06 PM

» I want to watch it but...

cvbnm07 - Oct 12

7 by cvbnm07 »»
Oct 13, 11:23 AM

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

13 by Asudox »»
Oct 10, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

antidentite - Jul 15, 2009

215 by BlackStar_24 »»
Sep 29, 4:25 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sii_Kei - Jul 8, 2009

312 by BlackStar_24 »»
Sep 29, 4:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.