Forum Settings
Forums
Weathering With You
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 3, 2019 4:35 PM
May 2018
The scene when they were falling from the sky and the chorus of Grand Escape starts playing was so powerful holy shit.
I also liked the ending narration of Hodaka when he finds Hina and accepts everything he did was his choice, and tells her everything is going to be ok. There is a very interesting message there.
Oct 3, 2019 10:37 PM
Mar 2015
Moral of the story "Ain't no sunshine when you'e gone"
Oct 3, 2019 11:13 PM
Dec 2015
Just watched today, and I can say it was beautiful but definitely can't compare to Your Name, that is in a whole other league.
Oct 4, 2019 6:55 PM

Mar 2008
Better than Kimi no Nawa but still has it's problems.
Not big enough to spoil the fun while watching, at least that.

It's good but still, just a juvenile entertainment with some questionable ideas (all habitable areas of japan are below water? Whatever, who cares). Made me remind Penguin Highway, a much superior and much more interesting movie, even in regards to the art/animation.
Oct 6, 2019 6:52 AM
Nov 2015
PaninaManina said:
Better than Kimi no Nawa but still has it's problems.
Not big enough to spoil the fun while watching, at least that.

It's good but still, just a juvenile entertainment with some questionable ideas (all habitable areas of japan are below water? Whatever, who cares). Made me remind Penguin Highway, a much superior and much more interesting movie, even in regards to the art/animation.
Penguin Highway is definitely better but tenki no ko i wouldnt brush it of as juvinille entertainment, its theme were fairly relatable and it handled it with maturity.
Oct 7, 2019 2:31 PM

Mar 2008
Black_Sheep97 said:
Penguin Highway is definitely better but tenki no ko i wouldnt brush it of as juvinille entertainment, its theme were fairly relatable and it handled it with maturity.

Can you talk in more detail about this "theme"?
Oct 7, 2019 2:34 PM
Nov 2015
PaninaManina said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

Can you talk in more detail about this "theme"?
what I observed was the theme of weather and how it affects people , and of course love and loss a staple in his films.
Oct 10, 2019 5:35 PM

Mar 2008
Black_Sheep97 said:
what I observed was the theme of weather and how it affects people , and of course love and loss a staple in his films.

What does it says and why you liked it?
That's what I wanted to know, because what I heard there was not really "good".
Oct 11, 2019 12:11 AM
Nov 2015
PaninaManina said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

What does it says and why you liked it?
That's what I wanted to know, because what I heard there was not really "good".
Fair enough I have to watch it again to formulate better points but I recall it saying something through the lamenting of the mc and with interactions with the girl, but if the themes you don't believe are good I fail to understand why they aren't good.
Oct 11, 2019 11:01 AM
Sep 2019
I can't even begin to express how amazing this was. I loved 'Your Name' and I love this just as much. Lots of emotionally moving parts that hit you where it counts, but the visuals and the characters were the strongest parts of it, imo. The way they bring to life the setting is breath-taking, to say the least. I read on this article here that it's not getting an official North American release until January 2020. I might watch it again in local theaters by then.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Oct 12, 2019 6:48 AM

Feb 2019
That was one hell of a ride considering this was first anime movie that I watched in theatres.
Oct 12, 2019 10:19 AM
Oct 2019
MrAkira said:
After the movie ends, there is something I still don't know....

Who tf is Natsumi? Keisuke's sister or something?
she's keisuke's niece i guess
Oct 12, 2019 10:22 AM

Sep 2017
Awesome that this was released in India. I'm just happy I got the chance to see this in a theater. It was great fun to watch and the movie was amazing.
Oct 13, 2019 8:45 AM

Aug 2018
First anime I saw in theaters and it was an amazing experience. Visuals were beautiful, characters were great and story was good. I liked Kimi no Nawa more but both are great movies.

My entire theater screamed in excitement when we got the Kimi no Na wa cameos. Was an awesome moment.

<Insert clever quote>
Oct 14, 2019 12:42 PM

Sep 2016
Note for @ Tsunami, lo so che mi osservi. Non leggere sotto che ci sono gli spoiler *3*

Just got out of the cinema.

Woah.

Absolutely worth it. Sasuga Shinkai.

Even though, well, compared to Your Name, something was missing for me.
While the plot, visuals and emotion were top tier level I didn't feel the same level of immersion of when I watched your name.
It was still really, really good, but it didn't give me shivers down my spine (and goosebumps) in the same way Your Name did.
It's not like it wasn't capable of dragging me in, because I for sure was dragged in, but there was something missing that kept me right outside, watching from close up, in some moments.
I will have to see if my language's adaptation was to fault tho (voice acting fluctuates between excellent to good at times), so my judgement about this is only 90% complete.
I need to hear the original voice acting, along with full volume music in my stereo headphones, without people comments in the background, and I'll see.

So, until the Blu Rays come out, I guess.
There's a CAMrip already around, with original audio, and the comments say the audio is very good, so maybe I'll give it a rewatch already, while I wait for the BD...after all, the first impression of Your Name was from a very low quality rip as well, and it didn't ruin my experience at all (if anything, it made me run to the cinema to watch it again the day right after and then rewatch it twice, in both languages, when the BD came out =D)

I also was quite happy to see some familiar faces make cameos in the movie, that was a very good touch to add.
Multiverse when?

The end also...absolutely perfect.
The only other way it would've been more perfect than this would be if

but whatever :D

The movie kept me with a grin for like 3/4 of the times, and got me laughing more than I would like to admit.
A couple of tears got shedded, as well. Not on a huge level like Your Name, but I'll have to wait for the full immersion experience to have a final word on it, like I said before.

I also got surprised a lot for the amount of "skinship" between the characters...in a way this is one of the less japanese anime (movies) about japan I have seen >.<
Hugging? Holding hands, BOTH hands? I thought holding ONE hand was a huge relationship goal for couples xD

A thing that'll make for sure make some US citizens drop the score for this, were the police scenes.

So to my experience, about all Shinkai movies I've seen (bar shorts):
Your Name > Beyond the Clouds = Garden of Words > Weathering with You >>> 5 cm per second > Voice from a Distant Star
Don't quote me on these/try to convince me otherwise as they are subjective (and you're wrong anyway).
FullyChargedOct 15, 2019 12:52 AM
bruh
Oct 15, 2019 9:50 PM

Nov 2013
Impressed. This one really pushes the envelope. It's got elements of mystery, urban action and that ever present Makoto Shinkai separated love. This had many facets, just just one story line happening this time.
I can see that the author is going through a catharsis over time.. his movies are getting more hopeful with each new release and happier endings.
Can't wait for the Blu-ray!
Oct 16, 2019 1:36 PM

Jan 2016
so cool, emotional Much greater than Your Name. Too bad no kiss and what happens to Nagi?
Oct 16, 2019 1:53 PM

May 2016
3 cameo with Cure Black and Cure White. I loved them!!!
Oct 19, 2019 7:20 PM
Jul 2011
That was amazing! I can definitely say this is better than Your Name.

I can't wait for the Blu-ray release.
Oct 19, 2019 8:05 PM

Apr 2019
Saw this at Scotland Loves Anime yesterday in Edinburgh. So glad I did as it was beautiful and fantastic.
Oct 22, 2019 6:13 AM

Feb 2018
Awesome movie, the animation was spectacular Makoto Shinkai delivered greatness again. The story and ost was great too

It was nice to see Mitsuha and Taki cameo appearance. Really enjoyed this movie
Oct 31, 2019 1:31 PM

Oct 2018
Shinkai and his studio are gods, I beg you. Finally this anime was premiered in Russia today, so I couldn't miss the chance and watched it immediately. Gosh, it wasn't just an ordinary anime, it was two-hours long unstoppable goosebumps. The animation, the plot, the characters, the soundtrack, EVERYTHING was absolutely breathtaking and so involving that I just haven't noticed time passing. This anime has finally brought my inspiration back and I really hope that I'll be able to watch it in cinema once again (and also draw at least two fanarts).
_________

Although I was kinda disappointed with luck of background stories of the main characters. Why Hodaka has left his home? How did Hina and her brother manage to live by themselves? Who knows.
Nov 1, 2019 4:06 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Man, this was just a Phenomenal Movie! It's finally out in Beijing here (I had to miss the earlier event starring Radwimps, Shinkai-san and more) and I couldn't help but immediately buy the tickets for the first screening here closest to my place, quite price-y thus as a result but totally worth it through and through.

Sadly, no English Subs so I'm a little unclear on some of the mechanism of Hina's abilities but I think I just about grasped enough to make out things. Taki-kun and Mitsuha's short cameos were fantastic too I've to say and I really appreciated some of the similarities this movie had with Your Name! Interesting how another elderly in the movie just like Your Name pretty much set things up for some drama, I've to say.

Anyway, on to the real meaty parts now. Artstyle and Animation, please just take my money Comic Wave Films! Absolutely breathtaking, those clouds, rain drops, city demonstration from different camera angles and some of the fluid character movements - Simply glorious! Definitely the best production-wise Movie from this Legendary Director! Sound Department is another Department done absolutely right! Some of the Piano Covers and insert songs really livened things up a zillion times, in my opinion. Sure, no particular scene hits me when I listen to the soundtrack (except for Grand Escape of course, creds to the highly talented Toko Miura for that!) but there's this feeling of wholesomeness that really swells up in me. Stunning stuff! Bloody enjoyed the movie to smithereens too, you bet!

Character-wise, the Movie was pretty great as well! Nagi is probably my favorite character of the movie but the two leads were top-notch as well, don't get me wrong. Senpai was just a tad bit better and that cross-dressing scene totally cracked me (and apparently the crowd too) up. It was nice to see Hodaka pretty much implied "Screw the world, I want her back!" with his actions and I honestly liked that attitude! Resulted in what will most likely go down as some of the most exhilarating and fantastical few moments up to the very end with the two asleep under the tomb. Anyway, Hina was a really fun company too. I'd a feeling she was younger in reality and sure enough she was, liked how Hodaka started calling her "Hina" instead of "Hina-san" there out of the blue. Side-characters, such as Suga-san and Natsume, were an interesting bunch too but sadly too little time for them to really shine. Natsume's really got the talents with a motorbike xD. Suga-san with the final fatherly acts was a really nice pleasure too, felt so empty when he was in tears unknowingly there. Condolences for his late wife too.

Story-wise, it wasn't anything exceptional nor as intriguing as Your Name but the idea of the plot was original and I really liked that. Could it have been handled better? Well, I'm not too sure really, I feel like the Directing had a certain charm to it after all. On the other hand, the whole Police affair honestly was very underwhelming and I can sort of see why a few Japanese people would be ticked off by this. Choppy, to say the least from my part. Some of the transitions and lack of details here and there (such as regarding Hodaka and Hina's pasts and more) were a little bugging as well, to be brutally honest, but no biggies here. What about the ring though, Hodaka? They really should've spent a couple more minutes on this and made it similar to what Kyoukai no Kanata did. Abrupt ending too, somewhat.

I prepared myself for something Great and I got exactly that! I know many people were expecting another Your Name and admittedly I was hoping for one too but the milder response from Japan convinced me to think otherwise and I'm glad I did exactly that. This is another completely different Movie and must not be compared to
Makoto Shinkai's other works I reckon.

All in all, a Solid 9.00/10 from my side! I'll definitely rewatch this Movie if I find a cinema offering Eng subtitles! Actually, you know what, I'll probably just watch it again for the ride anyway lol. Got teary-eyed a bit but I wonder how it'll go next time lol.

Interesting little tidbit on Tokyo being submerged originally, I honestly didn't know that. One more thing - this Movie seriously felt like a journey through Tokyo, absolutely loved it! And the theme of "Weather" was exploited in depth and really well too, got to love these!

I honestly want to see more of Makoto Shinkai's works! Hopefully next time, Toko Miura and Radwimps will be involved in the project too!
_MushiRock11_Nov 2, 2019 2:20 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 1, 2019 6:09 PM

Dec 2017
overdramatized and the story is just ass. 16 minutes of screentime was dedicated to him searching for the chick and crying. visually looks good, but it's subpar in everything else comparing to Your Name

people eating that MUH POWER OF LOVE like there's no tomorrow, yet it just looked like some hollywood "epic" teenage drama
Nov 9, 2019 3:39 AM

Apr 2018
The story wasn't as great as Shinkai's previous works like Your Name but it was still really great and not to mention the sound and visuals, which were right on point. Listening to the OST after the movie really gets you into the feels, huh.
Nov 19, 2019 6:36 PM

May 2018
Not the one that I expected, I mean it is good but everything feels short. The story is simple, I would change my mind if this was longer and the characters have the enough time to developed more, my only problem that it feels short. Anyways that was a good movie, since I don't rate something based on visuals, I can only rate something about the story and characters. Well, this is not something that can WOW me based on the story and characters.
EsieEyenNov 19, 2019 6:39 PM

Dec 7, 2019 11:31 AM

Mar 2019
I watched the Chris Stuckmann review and now I'm a little worried. He was saying it was basically a re-do of Your Name with the same plot beats. No spoilers please but is this true?

Now if all he means is that Shinkai is once again doing the star-crossed lovers separated by some mystical force I'm fine with that - his movies are always about that but are still significantly different to me at least.
Dec 7, 2019 4:15 PM

Sep 2012
I think one main criticism I have with this title as a romance movie is that it feels more like a one sided love that Hodaka has for Hina with how they portrayed it. You constantly get told and shown how much he loves Hina but you don't get to see as much of that with how Hina feels about Hodaka. It's just not as clear and I can't think of many specific moments besides her wanting a clear blue sky for him. In Kimi no na wa, you definitely get to see how much the two love each other through the efforts and hardships they went through. It felt very balanced in the portrayal where you know for sure, these two love each other so much. I don't feel as much as that in Tenki no ko. It feels more like, "Wow, this guy loves this girl so much and he's willing to go so far for her." But, one huge credit I'll give this show over Kimi no na wa is the romance scenes seem better with it being more imitate and touchy. A lot of hand holding and hugging.
FlamingMangosDec 8, 2019 3:55 PM
Dec 14, 2019 10:12 AM
Aug 2015
I've seen it on Thursday (France premiere) and Makoto Shinkai was there!!
The movie was good but not as astonishing as Your Name. I liked the story and although the fantasy part was not well developped I liked the parallel between what happens to the characters and the climate change that affects our real world.
The animation, art, background were beautiful. But the musics didn't stand much for me although there were fitting for the movie.
But I didn't get to like the characters as much as Your Name's, although Hodaka and Hina made me laugh (Hina's brother too), their story, their choice were interesting but I don't know why they didn't manage to had an impact on me. Maybe it's because we don't know much about them (family for example) While in Your Name I really liked Taki ans Mitsuha, the focus on their family life and friends.

But Tenki no Ko is a good movie and worth seeing.

Makoto Shinkai answered some of the question after the movie :
Dec 15, 2019 7:28 AM
Jul 2017
I was also at the premiere of the film in France in Paris. I didn't really like the movie especially the story isn't as good as Your Name but I really liked the music of the movie especially since there was a singer who had nothing to do with RADWIMPS.
ShikuroSWFEDec 17, 2019 2:34 PM
Dec 18, 2019 2:06 AM

Sep 2012
Kirie-san said:
But I didn't get to like the characters as much as Your Name's, although Hodaka and Hina made me laugh (Hina's brother too), their story, their choice were interesting but I don't know why they didn't manage to had an impact on me. Maybe it's because we don't know much about them (family for example) While in Your Name I really liked Taki ans Mitsuha, the focus on their family life and friends.

I think it's because in Kimi no na wa, it focused on the pov of both characters and the body switch concept just really helps portray the characters in a enjoyable memorable way. TnK had a bigger focus on the side characters so it doesn't have as much of a focus on the main characters compared to KNNW
FlamingMangosDec 18, 2019 2:10 AM
Dec 29, 2019 8:29 AM

Oct 2009
Enjoyed it! =D
Makoto Shinkai and everyone involved did great! Plan to watch again next week.
Jan 8, 2020 10:26 PM

Sep 2019
I loved the movie. A little bit more than Kimi no na wa (a little bit huh)
Jan 11, 2020 7:45 AM

Jan 2017
Great movie but not as good as previous Shinkai Makoto movies.

- Animation 11/10 nothing less to expect from Makoto
- Art 12/10, basicly 2h of wallpapers, an absolute eye candy in every scene. I hope that they will release a 4K version just like for Your name.
- Sound 20/10 - same as always, perfect even beyond that!
- Story a solid 6/10, nothing revolutionary, by the 30-40 minutes mark you already know how it will end.

Despite that, I love how Hodaka (MC) goes full Life is Strange ending, fuck the city I want my waifu!
Also is nice so see some others characters in small cameos here and there.

Overall 8.5/10
Jan 11, 2020 1:27 PM
Jan 2020
Hi ! I've just watched the movie.
Did anyone notice the reference to the manga/anime "you're under arrest" in the scene where Hodaka escaped the police station and is helped by Natsumi who's riding her motorbike ?

At the end of their crazy motorbike ride (you're under arrest's Natsumi style) , Natsumi says something like : "maybe I should join the police in the motorbike brigade" in reference to character of "you're under arrest" who has the same name and drive as fast& crazy as her. Haha
Jan 12, 2020 2:45 AM
Oct 2018
I watched the film yesterday (France) and I found it very good. It is different from the movie "Kimi no Nawa" but that is precisely what is interesting.

There were many things that I liked.
Like the notion of sacrifice which "opposes" Hina and Keisuke. At first he thinks that sacrificing someone else for the good of a large number of people is normal, especially since it will help him with his daughter. But ultimately he takes the risk of losing everything he fought to help Hodaka find Hina even if it is detrimental to him.

On the contrary Hina thinks that it is normal to sacrifice oneself for the others if that brings them a lot of happiness. This is true as a sister who does everything to support her brother, but also as a priestess to bring back the sun and the joy of life. In the end Hodaka brings it back and we can see that even if the city is partially submerged, it is not his fault. Especially since she didn't have an easy life.

The film shows that the forces of nature sooner or later surpass the will of men. And as we can see at the end, we will try to adapt no matter what happens. Tokyo returned to its original state, long before human influence and life still resumed its course.

For how long? History does not say it but the rain will probably continue to fall for years ...

There is still a lot to say but what is certain is that it was worth it to go see it;)
Jan 12, 2020 11:07 AM

Nov 2017
You know it's a good movie when even my sister who hates anime absolutely adored it
Jan 15, 2020 3:54 PM

Feb 2012
McDonald's and Pretty Cure

Japan got hit hard in the Shinkaiverse, comet and flooding, add Kaiju and Aliens and he's Japanese Roland Emmerich

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 15, 2020 6:19 PM

May 2014
It was fantastic.

I picked the wrong showing by mistake apparently and saw the dub instead of the sub, so that was unfortunate. I also had a few absolute cunts heckling and talking the whole time in the back. So that stuff was annoying, but again, really loved the movie itself.
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Jan 15, 2020 6:34 PM

Jul 2012
I had too high of expectations I think... It was nice but nothing to write home about. It definitely caters to a larger audience than most anime movies. Beautiful visuals and amazing soundtrack but story and characters were on the weaker side. A lot of the character decisions were a bit rash and the SciFi was not as strong as Your Name. It is a feast for the eyes but not for the brain. Overall, still worth watching. I don't think I would watch it again though. Also, it's more of a comedy than a drama as 3/4th of the movie is unintentionally funny. I thought I'd bawl my eyes out or something.

7/10
MayukaJan 15, 2020 6:38 PM
Jan 15, 2020 7:01 PM

Mar 2013
Honestly not that great but that's ok because it hilariously foreshadowed Carlos Ghosn's flight from justice.
Jan 15, 2020 7:21 PM

Jul 2017
this movie was so much fun to watch tbh, i had a fucking blast, it was actually amazing.
Jan 15, 2020 8:36 PM

Dec 2014
Just went to the NA premiere, it was a good movie. Very enjoyable.

Production and art direction were fantastic, tons of stunning shots with beautiful scenic backgrounds. Total eye candy.
Radwimps did an incredible job with the soundtrack again, all in all production was absolutely fantastic.

Now, to talk about the story. The story is well, enjoyable but isn't really the most compelling in the way it tries to bring across it's point. Much like Kimi no Wa the strongest aspects of the story is the opening 30-40 minutes that establish the setting. It's easily the most enjoyable part of the movie, full of energy and tons of fun to watch. My favorite part of the movie are Hodaka's monologues where he talks about how it's a strange thing that state of the sky and just sunshine can affect our view on what the day is gonna be like, I think I took a bigger liking to Hodaka and Hina than I did to Taki and Mitsuha and from Kimi no Na wa but I did love their little cameos. Hina was lovable, I love her standard twin tails but damn does she look beautiful with her hair down.

I like what the movie tries to convey about being sincere to your true feelings, it's just the way the movie goes about it seems overly dramatic and the way the story moves forward can sometimes feel overly coincidental perhaps convenient is the word? It's ironic because the parts where the movie best expressed it's own theme is in the beginning where Hodaka and Hina are doing the Sunshine girl stuff. I don't know I just feel there is just something missing from Shinkai's movies to make it some compelling, I don't get it in the same way most other people do. They are good, but I don't have the same praise many other people have for them. I had similar opinion when I watched Kimi no Na wa.

Still very enjoyable, worth watching in the movie.

I also really liked the post movie interview with Shinkai where he talked about using weather in a more violent and dangerous depiction than normal where it's generally to make a scene look scenic and beautiful.

8/10
Jan 15, 2020 8:38 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Watched it today, the little brother is hilarious, and the fireworks scene had the best fireworks animation I ever seen in any type of animation, the rain animation was the best I seen in anime as well.
Jan 15, 2020 8:48 PM

Aug 2013
Unfortunately the plot in this film is pretty lackluster even more so then Your Name it looks good but that's about the only positive thing about it 5/10.
Jan 15, 2020 9:06 PM
Jul 2015
This is basically Your Name 2 but it was beautiful and the "action" if that's the right word, was more exciting than Your Name.

Your Name had a a better "plot" though.
Jan 15, 2020 9:19 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
After seeing and absolutely adoring Your Name, I was ecstatic to see where Makoto Shinkai would take us next. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the same love in Weathering With You.

I think this was a good film, but the final act really lost me. It just kind of went all over the place and ultimately ended with a big "meh". This just didn't have the laser focus Your Name had with its narrative. The more I think about it, the more I find it strange that Hina had to be sacrificed. She didn't choose this, she just prayed for good weather to spend one last day with her mother. I feel like the ending unfairly punished the characters, especially Hina.

The first part of the movie was a blast. I liked seeing Hodoka's journey to finally finding a place to live, I loved seeing Hodoka and Hina work together to bring sunshine to people's lives. But once that ended it all just went downhill. I mean, if they were going to quit the sunshine girl business, why not focus on finding a solution to the rain? I understand that the plot point of Hodoka running away would eventually catch up to him, but I really think it was taken too far. The whole running from the cops, struggling to find a place to live was just too out there. I think instead, Keisuke should've just hid them as they try and find a solution to the rain.

I will say however, that I like the fact that the main character made a choice, one that was in a morally grey area, and now he has to live with it. This is something that a lot of movies don't do, or are afraid to do. But ultimately, I didn't like the fact that Tokyo was destroyed in the process. Also, there were a number of contrivances that didn't help the story either.

I think it's safe to say there are a lot of similarities to Your Name. With it's star crossed lovers, structure, etc. I would say Your Name did almost every single thing better. First and foremost when it comes to romance. While Honoka and Hina spent a lot of time together, it didn't feel as nearly as impactful as the romance between Taki and Mitsuha. In fact, like others have pointed out previously, this felt even a little one sided. At the end during the stand off with the police, I kind of felt Honoka had gone off the rails because their relationship didn't feel substantial enough to justify the rash actions he took. So when the sad parts hit, I wasn't really that sad. It just failed to impact me as much as Your Name did.

Another similarity would be between the female protagonists of each movie. I won't spoil Mitsuha's, but both had this magical "curse" on them they needed saving from. Both characters didn't ask for the curse, but at least Your Name resolved it in a great and satisfying way. This however, felt almost unfair to Hina and ultimately left me felt wanting.

Now the characters, I think they were fun as hell. Everyone seemed to gel really well and I loved watching them talk and interact with one another. Hodoka was a likable guy and liked his arc, Hina was sweet but sort of plain. I wish they had worked more on her character, as she didn't feel all that real. Keisuke was a cool guy, but the movie explored the idea about he and his daughter's future but kind of left it alone. It confirmed in the end they were spending more time together, but it felt like an abandoned plot point, or at least character point. I did however, like how he related to the two protagonists and went out on a limb to help them. I really loved Natsumi especially. She was such an interesting and fun character. She was really charming and had great screen presence. Hell I'd take a movie with just her.

A big advantage this movie had over Your Name was the better utilization of the side characters. The side characters in this were miles better than any side character in Your Name.

It's a privilege to watch Makoto Shinkai's films for the visuals. This was easily his most breathtaking work yet. I really can never look away from the screen when one of his films are playing. The rain was so gorgeous, the movements were fluid, and the art is still as charming as ever. Makoto's visual style is unmatched.

The music was also beautiful, many of the pieces fitting very well with the theme of rain. Radwimps have made a name for themselves with the help of Shinkai, and I'm glad they're still working together.

I do briefly want to touch on how this affects Your Name.

Overall, I liked the move. But only just liked it. The visuals were a masterpiece, the music was moving, the characters were great, and the comedy was terrific. And while the plot was fun and entertaining the first half of the film, it quickly turned into a mess that ultimately feels like wasted potential. Shinkai needs to work on how to write his endings better.

7/10
takkun_Jan 15, 2020 9:23 PM
Jan 15, 2020 9:27 PM

Jul 2012
ACasualViewer said:
the little brother is hilarious, and the fireworks scene had the best fireworks animation I ever seen in any type of animation
Agreed with these two. The "senpai" running gag was HILARIOUS and the fact that his girlfriends helped him escape was so extra haha. The fireworks animation was stunning, definitely also the best I've ever seen in animation ever.

Todd_ said:
I think this was a good film, but the final act really lost me. It just kind of went all over the place and ultimately ended with a big "meh". This just didn't have the laser focus Your Name had with its narrative. The more I think about it, the more I find it strange that Hina had to be sacrificed. She didn't choose this, she just prayed for good weather to spend one last day with her mother. I feel like the ending unfairly punished the characters, especially Hina
Fully agreed. This movie could have been great but then it progressively lost it's way in the final act. Could have went in a different direction and made this a masterpiece.
Jan 15, 2020 9:38 PM

Oct 2010
Hina being "punished unfairly" was kind of the point. That's how weather/climate works. It doesn't discriminate. It hurts those that necessarily deserve it.

Anyway, movie was really beautiful and I'm glad Hodaka chose love in the end. Nature deserves to take back what we stole from it anyway.
Jan 15, 2020 9:40 PM

Apr 2016
I went in with pretty low expectations. Three years ago, everybody and their brother told me that Your Name was this amazing, incredible movie, which was quite jarring when I finally got to watch it and it only turned out to be an okay film. Didn't help that the marketing materials for this movie presented it as yet another boy meets girl love story by Shinkai.

I was pleasantly surprised. I think this is my favorite Shinkai film after 5 Centimeters Per Second. If you can get past the opening five minutes of cringeworthy, melodramatic narration, the movie becomes thoroughly enjoyable. It's the funniest Shinkai film yet. The audience laughed out loud a lot.

The film isn't without it's flaws. Many of the character designs looked samey, like they were reused from Your Name. Hodaka is visually indistinguishable from Taki in Your Name, and Hina looks exactly like Mitsuha but with pigtails. It still has the cringeworthy, melodramatic narrations and a nonsensical third act.
There is also some very bizzare tonal dissonance.

Ending spoilers and speculation for the next Shinkai film:

The English dub is good.

Highly recommended!
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What did you guys think of weathering with you?

cauthecow793 - Sep 9, 2020

22 by removed-user »»
May 11, 7:30 AM

» Am I wrong here? I loved it

Hrusi - Mar 16, 2020

32 by DFrench125 »»
Oct 21, 2023 8:23 AM

» kimi no na wa and tenki no ko is connected ?!

nanatshi - May 28, 2020

12 by elGatoGordo06 »»
Apr 11, 2023 11:45 PM

» Everything wrong with Tenki no Ko

Atsunome - Mar 17, 2023

26 by Steph »»
Mar 18, 2023 5:22 AM

» Did anyone spotted Yotsuha Miyamizu (Mitsuha's little sister)????

IvenDOCson - Jun 17, 2021

5 by Dutch_Chief »»
Mar 11, 2023 4:05 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.