Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 13, 6:59 AM

Nov 2011
I've read the manga for this and well, kinda got the same vibe as the anime from this episode. The presence of dragons is evident. Kai kinda carries this anime with his goals and he seems like the no-nonsense type of guy. The background story lore is definitely important.

In the present timeline, it looks like Kai put a lot of responsibility on himself. Seems he's quite an independent person and knows how to handle himself well. If anything, he's better than a typical wimpy protagonist.

Jul 13, 7:00 AM

Dec 2021
The THIRD of three adaptions that novelist Kei Sazane has gotten of one his works just this year alone. To which one that came out last season was, well to put it lightly, ass. Will this be the saving grace for Kei, or again be ass.

The mission of the Human Protection Agency, to which the protagonist Kai belongs, is to continually seal the demons, barbarian gods, holy spirits, and phantom beasts that once waged the War Between The Five Races on Earth against humanity in the Graveyards. Thanks to these efforts, humanity has enjoyed a hundred years of peace. While everyone else has grown complacent about the threats from other races, Kai remains diligent in his training.

Right off the bat, this is easily the strongest and most interesting premise to out of all of Kei's works so far. Sure the beginning is pretty much your generic fantasy show, but once Jeanne gets warped or whatever, shit starts to hit the fan. Whoever was behind the warping was cockblocking Kai, I swear. Right before the confession as well. You can tell Kai was going through it when he heard that Jeanne was a dude now. But yeah, he went to the graveyard thing or whatever and from what I'm guessing is Sid, is that angel girl there.

Easily the best start out of all of Kei's works. But knowing this guy, it'll only get worse from here... I would hope not because this was a decent start, all things considered.

Jul 13, 7:00 AM

Jul 2017
The 3rd and last of imitation author Kei Sazane's works for the year, and this one AT THE VERY LEAST there is hope for a story that's at least inspired by fantasy, but wholly original by his standards.

The promise of a boy to rid a girl of her constraints, this is the mission of Kai Sakura Vento, in a world where there's endless war between races for supremacy in an 86-esque Republic world (because of the VA who did Shin in Eighty Six). If anything, within the Urza Foundation's Humanity Aegis Agency where Kai works, Jeanne (who did Kaie) reminds me too much of Vladlilena "Lena" Mlize, which both her and Kai went on a shopping spree for her promotion as a leader with presents from him, Ashran Highroll and Saki Miskotti, Kai suddenly gets warped into a world where he stands alone.

Having found himself in another world, Kai gets thwarted by demons, which he finds himself now supported by Ashran and Saki, but belonging in the Human Rebel resistance Army, with the Neo Vashal underground city where Jeanne now is a leader in the Urza Federation after humanity failed in the Great War of the Five Races...which she does not recognize him at all, leaving Kai rather shocked and puzzled that the world forgot him and the Hero Prophet Sid. Still, after having found a sword that is the inheritation of said hero in its graveyard, wielding the Code Holder, and finding himself on what seems to be a tower, facing Rinne who's all tied up against a pole, requesting him to free her.

In a way, this premiere episode IS the title displayed on full, no punches there. Still, I want this to succeed the best.
KANLen09Jul 21, 4:50 AM
Jul 13, 8:13 AM
Jun 2022
i hope Tatsuma Minamikawa carried the show as he once did in Fire Force Season 2
Jul 13, 8:41 AM

Sep 2016
pretty average Ep1.
same author as Kimisen and Kami no Game from previous season, so I have no hope for good writing.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 13, 8:49 AM
Jul 2023
Decent enough first episode, seems like the animation going to carry the series, seeing how the writing has not much to offer.

Not questioning why the MC have the same uniform as the resistance personally irk me.
Jul 13, 8:53 AM
May 2021
Pretty interesting start and that fight with the demon was pretty well animated and fun to watch. I hope the budget stays the same for next episodes lol
Jul 13, 9:10 AM
Sep 2015
I hope there are more surprise other than the obvious that either Kai is Sid or at least in de facto but for now I already like two things from the first episode, the music, and the skin-tight costume that Kai wear.
Jul 13, 9:42 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
I have a good first impression. Ofc maybe it will be average at the end, but i like the serious tone!
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jul 13, 9:51 AM

Oct 2017
Somewhat unique/interesting setting but otherwise okay. Do feel bad for the guy though. I hope Jeanne will atleast remember him someday. Now idk if this'll turn into the cliche that he was Cid all along but as long as they get a happy end I'm fine.
Jul 13, 9:54 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to Mainnus
Decent enough first episode, seems like the animation going to carry the series, seeing how the writing has not much to offer.

Not questioning why the MC have the same uniform as the resistance personally irk me.
Mainnus said:
He doesn't though. His aegis agency uniform is slightly different and has different badge/logo as well.
Jul 13, 10:00 AM
Jul 2023
MegamiRem said:
Mainnus said:
He doesn't though. His aegis agency uniform is slightly different and has different badge/logo as well.

In details yeah, but superficially not. The similarities should be acknowledged at the very least.
Jul 13, 10:17 AM
Aug 2021
bland start not good
Jul 13, 10:40 AM

May 2021
this is the one i like the most among the "kei trilogy" but this deserved better than being adapted by projectno9. they're so ass, sorry not sorry. hoping minamikawa saves it a bit.

ig looking forward to it!
more rinne and jeanne content soon!!!
Jul 13, 11:01 AM

Dec 2018
Somewhat original I guess, first half was part exposition dump and really dragged it down. Second half was okay. The animation is serviceable. We'll see how it goes.
Jul 13, 11:28 AM
Feb 2021
This first episode was fire and has a really good start to it. I'm hoping this anime can stay on this type of timing for the rest of the season.
Jul 13, 11:43 AM
Apr 2020
Im pretty shocked on how many of you said this was only an okay episode. I can think of some reason why you'd think this way, but to say this was okay is just out of my expectation.

Jul 13, 12:07 PM
Mar 2020
Intriguing start, hoping it will go well...
Jul 13, 12:09 PM
Apr 2023
It looks like this anime will be a good one in the future, the plot that is presented is exciting and that's what makes me hope more for this anime. Hopefully, in the future, it won't disappoint me.
Jul 13, 12:27 PM

Apr 2012
-1 because they showed the end of the episode at the start
i freaking hate that
Jul 13, 1:47 PM

Aug 2013
So the MC is Sid now? Guess we already know the outcome of the show then...
Jul 13, 2:04 PM

Feb 2007
Glad to finally see more of this than the two scanlated chapters.

What's with the horribly mistranslated official English title, though?
Jul 13, 2:05 PM

Dec 2020
Armpit right of the bat hell yeah

Seems like the plot doesn't have anythin' special to offer but we got some great action there. Good to see at last a no nonsense mc. Chiba's melancholic voice actin' prevails properly. But man Jeanne turned into a man!?💀...but somethin' looks fishy judgin' her/his expression like she's actually pretendin' to be a guy. So, to not take any risks he/she calls off Rina who caught Kai's wrist.Now letz see what Kai'd do with this armpit goddess
GeoXsf9Jul 13, 2:13 PM
Jul 13, 2:45 PM

Apr 2023
A very mediocre start, dunno what I was expecting given the title but it's painfully generic.
Jul 13, 3:13 PM

Jun 2008
Very generic.
Either I am just losing interest in anime or this season really is just bad...
Jul 13, 3:18 PM

Feb 2019
Sazane sensei’s third work this year to get an anime, and tbh it might be the best of the bunch? Even better than Kimisen, wow this was a good premiere. I haven’t seen Project No.9 do a non slice of life/romcom story before(that I can remember) and the production values were actually really solid?? I’m intrigued. Also, is that my goat Shinei I hear?!

Man, Kai getting transported to another world line or his world changing, however you wanna look at it, was such a wild scene. Jeanne had finally worked up the courage to confess to him and was gonna make a promise probably to get married when she got back and then bam, gone, transported to a desolate hellscape. I’ve got a lot of questions and they definitely did a good job of creating a world that draws you in and want answers. Who overwrote the world? Why? Will Kai ever get back to his world?

Very cruel twist of fate seeing all your friends and no one remembers or even knows you existed.. but I feel like the characters should’ve been more inquisitive when they saw Kai wearing the same insignia and clearly having combat experience..

Half angel/demon waifu arrived.. hmm I wonder what’s her deal. Nice set up episode, solid production values and pretty interesting world. Can’t wait for the next
Marinate1016Jul 13, 3:47 PM
Jul 13, 3:18 PM

Feb 2019
Ryoda- said:
Very generic.

You keep watching stuff you clearly have no interest in is the issue. Being “generic” isn’t inherently bad, it’s just something you’ve probably grown out of.
Jul 13, 3:33 PM

Jun 2008
Reply to Marinate1016
Ryoda- said:
Very generic.

You keep watching stuff you clearly have no interest in is the issue. Being “generic” isn’t inherently bad, it’s just something you’ve probably grown out of.
@Marinate1016 I'm usually all for fantasy with a slice of sci-fi. The setting seems fine too, apolcaliptic settings aren't that common. Potential is there, plenty of it too, but it's once again ruined by not spending any time thinking up decent characters. For me the main issue with he vast amount of shows nowadays is lazy character writing. Everyone is just a walking trope. For starters there's nothing interesting about Kai. He barely even has a personality besides "I'm very serious about my job".
Then when other world Jeanne walked past Kai I was already thinking to myself "please for gods sake don't scream at her about remembering you... Please have some common sense, you should know by now that no one knows you here.".
I sat there basically praying that the author will give his MC at least a bit of a brain, then seconds later he shouted at her just like I imagined he would.
This pissed me off a bit honestly... This type of predictable and overly generic character writing is the difference between a 6.5 rated show and a 8.0+ rated show.
Jul 13, 3:38 PM

Jun 2023
You know, I’d be pretty suspicious if some guy came out of nowhere, knew my name, and was wearing a uniform similar to mine.

Oh and the leader’s daddy issues
Jul 13, 3:40 PM

Feb 2019
Ryoda- said:
@Marinate1016 I'm usually all for fantasy with a slice of sci-fi. The setting seems fine too, apolcaliptic settings aren't that common. Potential is there, plenty of it too, but it's once again ruined by not spending any time thinking up decent characters. For me the main issue with he vast amount of shows nowadays is lazy character writing. Everyone is just a walking trope. For starters there's nothing interesting about Kai. He barely even has a personality besides "I'm very serious about my job".
Then when other world Jeanne walked past Kai I was already thinking to myself "please for gods sake don't scream at her about remembering you... Please have some common sense, you should know by now that no one knows you here.".
I sat there basically praying that the author will give his MC at least a bit of a brain, then seconds later he shouted at her just like I imagined he would.
This pissed me off a bit honestly... This type of predictable and overly generic character writing is the difference between a 6.5 rated show and a 8.0+ rated show.

You have to realise he literally was just talking to her a few mins ago and then got teleported to another timeline. His brain probably can’t even properly fathom what’s going on yet so naturally he reaches out to her. Now the other stuff I can somewhat understand, but it’s one ep in and you have 25 mins, there’s only so much development you can do in that time.
Jul 13, 3:47 PM

Mar 2014
Very good, they are keeping the same cadence as in the manga.
Jul 13, 3:51 PM
Mar 2022
I mean good start but kinda like wtf. So the Graveyard is there near the city somewhere WITH THE DOOR WIDE OPEN and you’re telling me NO ONE ELSE has walked in and grabbed the free sword before him? Still a good episode but that’s just kinda dumb
Jul 13, 4:09 PM

Sep 2011
This was okay but I have enough shows to watch on Saturday so pass
Jul 13, 4:12 PM
Sep 2015
Reply to Marinate1016
Ryoda- said:

You have to realise he literally was just talking to her a few mins ago and then got teleported to another timeline. His brain probably can’t even properly fathom what’s going on yet so naturally he reaches out to her. Now the other stuff I can somewhat understand, but it’s one ep in and you have 25 mins, there’s only so much development you can do in that time.
@Marinate1016 Unfortunately the truck info dump didn't help with the timing and then you have things like:

"This is a bullet made of unobtanium, it kills demons dead" or something like that, who is he even talking to...? We know the bullets are in some way special since they are detailed and colored for attention, there's no need to explain it so directly, just explain it in passing in something like "here are the X bullets, 3 made of unobtanium to kill demons and n for other stuff" while exchanging supplies later on or something.

I can imagine how this will go, he found the keyblade, the chained girl AKA "goddess" or similar and at least 3 of the other enemy heroes are girls, so he will collect the waifus, make the other races see reason and establish peace on Earth.
There are some interesting things though, it does seem like the whole thing can be some kind of simulation, like a certain other anime that flips the script at halfway point. But I don't have the feeling it will go that way, low priority or skip it for now, too many things to watch anyway for me.
Jul 13, 4:13 PM

Feb 2019
UnspeakableH said:
@Marinate1016 Unfortunately the truck info dump didn't help with the timing and then you have things like:

"This is a bullet made of unobtanium, it kills demons dead" or something like that, who is he even talking to...? We know the bullets are in some way special since they are detailed and colored for attention, there's no need to explain it so directly, just explain it in passing in something like "here are the X bullets, 3 made of unobtanium to kill demons and n for other stuff" while exchanging supplies later on or something.

I can imagine how this will go, he found the keyblade, the chained girl AKA "goddess" or similar and at least 3 of the other enemy heroes are girls, so he will collect the waifus, make the other races see reason and establish peace on Earth.
There are some interesting things though, it does seem like the whole thing can be some kind of simulation, like a certain other anime that flips the script at halfway point. But I don't have the feeling it will go that way, low priority or skip it for now, too many things to watch anyway for me.

Sounds like you just don’t like LN adaptation fantasy stories. Wouldn’t waste time watching em then.
Jul 13, 5:03 PM
Mar 2017
I'll preface this with the fact that I haven't read the manga. All I've seen is some of episode 1.

So is Kai actually Sid or what? That's the sense I got almost immediately :/. That'd atleast make the show remotely interesting even if we can see it from 100 miles away. If that's not the case then the show is hyper cringe and boring. If it is the case the show is medium cringe and boring lol.
nestharusJul 13, 5:11 PM
Jul 13, 5:09 PM

Mar 2013
I've also read the manga but I'm seriously pissed off on how they did their eyes. It's staticly looking cute in both guys and girls, but it's rather annoying to watch it like that. The body designs are nice, their body language was good, and the movements were fluid. I hope for something great in this series i.e. not skipping a thing from the source.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jul 13, 5:53 PM
Mar 2019
Starting off with a cliffhanger mystery is intriguing. There's not a lot of action, and that might just be part of the flow. I'll stick around a bit to see where this goes.
Jul 13, 6:12 PM
Jan 2021
That was a rough first episode. Really clunky exposition. Can't stand this weird trope of chsracters bot acting even remotely human when someone knows things they shouldn't too. Him knowing their names while they dont know him should have them extremely concerned. His lack of knowledge while wearing clothes with their crest should be hugely concerning to them as well. It's unnatural for people to just blow off the MC. I'll give it a few more episodes, but my hopes aren't high.
Jul 13, 6:15 PM
Jan 2021
GangsterCat said:
pretty average Ep1.
same author as Kimisen and Kami no Game from previous season, so I have no hope for good writing.

This is the same author who wrote 'Gods Games We Play'? This is going to be bad if so. This episode already has a lot of the clunkyness present in the other show.
Jul 13, 7:51 PM

Jul 2016
Immediately reminded me of the Guilty Crown opening.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Jul 13, 8:23 PM

Jan 2013
super generic and lame....
Jul 13, 8:35 PM
May 2020
The plot of the main character being transported to an alternative timeline where humanity didn't win the war and everyone forgot about him, but it's clear the author can't write a dialogue that doesn't feel needlessly expository and/or artificial like a bag of plastic.
The animation is appallingly bad besides one decently cool action sequence, the scene when the MC's gf was getting sucked into the void and it was just a png of her getting distorted was laughable.
OST is kind of good, I'm honestly only watching this because the OP is done by Unlucky Morpheus and I absolutely love their music, only watching this to give them support so they can hopefully make songs for better anime.
Jul 13, 8:42 PM
Aug 2022
This one too has a Good Animation Quality.
Jul 13, 8:53 PM

Jul 2015
Honestly very unique can't say i have seen this plot in an anime before.

Characters seem likeable animation is good except for a bit here and there (like the portal sequence)
I have high hopes.

The first half was good but the second half did leave me wanting...
Jul 13, 8:56 PM
Jun 2022
Ryoda- said:

Try to put yourself in his shoes, you will see how it feels like to be left behind. The world settings that Sazane-sensei set up is cruel and Kai is just trying to grasp what he can. No allies, no childhood friend, nothing but strangers.
The 1st episode, for me, set up a pretty good for Kai's behavior. And the next episodes will be action-packed, i can't wait
Jul 13, 9:01 PM

Jul 2015
Reply to killzone3abc
That was a rough first episode. Really clunky exposition. Can't stand this weird trope of chsracters bot acting even remotely human when someone knows things they shouldn't too. Him knowing their names while they dont know him should have them extremely concerned. His lack of knowledge while wearing clothes with their crest should be hugely concerning to them as well. It's unnatural for people to just blow off the MC. I'll give it a few more episodes, but my hopes aren't high.
@killzone3abc to be fair they made it clear in the episode when they threw kai their keys out of reflex somewhere deep down there are remnants of memories hence why he threw the keys to kai like he would do in the last world.

It's not too much of a stretch to say the same remnants of memories are making them gloss over it more than they should.
Well that is if the writer is smart enough to make that the reason why since it's the only reason that makes their reactions not bad writing.
Jul 13, 9:45 PM
Apr 2024
I thought the story is somewhat intriguing, although I thought they should be more curious about why he knows them but they don't know him... oh well
Jul 13, 10:03 PM
Jan 2022
Themes: The anime explores themes of memory, identity, and the struggle to reclaim a lost world. It delves into the conflicts between those who remember the past and those who have accepted the altered reality.

Animation and Art Style: The series features detailed and vibrant animation with a focus on dynamic action scenes and magical effects. The character designs are distinct and expressive, contributing to the overall appeal of the show.

Reception: The anime has been praised for its intriguing premise and well-executed action sequences. However, some viewers have noted that the plot can be complex and requires careful attention to follow.

Overall 10/10
Jul 13, 10:31 PM

Nov 2021
Very interesting first episode, can't wait to see more. The setting reminds me of Ragna Crimson with the mix of magic and futuristic stuff. This is also the first non romcom/ SOL anime I think I've seen from Project No. 9
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Some questions about the world-building (possible spoilers)

RudeRedis - Oct 14

6 by Alex_baka04 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Naze Boku no Sekai wo Daremo Oboeteinai no ka? Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 3

55 by EMS-Kakashi »»
Yesterday, 10:13 AM

Poll: » Naze Boku no Sekai wo Daremo Oboeteinai no ka? Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 21

21 by Noegusis »»
Oct 13, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Naze Boku no Sekai wo Daremo Oboeteinai no ka? Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 28

37 by Deru_021 »»
Oct 11, 1:11 PM

Poll: » Naze Boku no Sekai wo Daremo Oboeteinai no ka? Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 27

38 by nanajp »»
Oct 11, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.