Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 15, 9:28 AM

Nov 2011
Nice, it looks like the video JELEE cooked up got tons of views, exceeding expectations. It seems they really wanted to complete the project and show the whole world what they can do.

Kiui is an interesting case in this anime imo. She wants to contribute but also sets realistic expectations. She let so much emotions out!
Jun 15, 9:42 AM

Apr 2016
I still cant get over the fact that this, supposedly big idol company chief used hired this high school girl artist with pretty much only a basic experience ... you know the five minutes fame andy, to design something so complex.

But i guess let Yoru experience the corpo life eh :)
Jun 15, 9:54 AM

Jul 2017
One more episode to go and honestly, feel like the show's slipped too far over the last few episodes. Those people that Kiui and Mahiru knew were quite the bratty characters that acted entitled and like bullies basically, but at least Kiui managed to stand up for herself in a way that shows that she has truly grown compared to the past. I'm not a fan of the cast in general but she's definitely been better than the others in this series. Kano's side of her story in the past few episodes have been so wishy-washy to watch.
Jun 15, 9:58 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to animejas
One more episode to go and honestly, feel like the show's slipped too far over the last few episodes. Those people that Kiui and Mahiru knew were quite the bratty characters that acted entitled and like bullies basically, but at least Kiui managed to stand up for herself in a way that shows that she has truly grown compared to the past. I'm not a fan of the cast in general but she's definitely been better than the others in this series. Kano's side of her story in the past few episodes have been so wishy-washy to watch.
@animejas The show nosedived for sure, last couple of episodes were quite ... not good.
Jun 15, 9:58 AM

Feb 2019
😭 we only got one episode of this left man I can’t say goodbye to these girls. This needs to become a multimedia project. People saying the show nosedived are tripping, show got way better with the angsty drama. That’s exactly what I wanna see in my lesbian romances. Perfect contrast to Sasakoi where main ship instantly gets together.

Sorry GBC, but this has regained the number 1 spot after this Kiui masterclass. This episode was directed by Fujita Shounei who’s worked with SHAFT for over 15 years and it definitely had a distinctive SHAFT vibe, especially during Kiui’s “coming out” scene. A ton of good stuff in this episode before that as well.

For starters, love that Mei continues being there for Kano not just as a stan, but a genuine friend. Helping her focus on who and what she wants to write music for. There’s a nice dichotomy in this episode with Mei and Kano and Yoru and Kiui, both pairs have known each other longer than Kano and Yoru, so it allows them to connect in a different way.

Now in my opinion, Yoru did redeem herself today by the end of the episode in terms of the Kano situation by helping Kiui and also putting in a word for JELEE to perform with the sundolls next week. But at the start of the episode when Yukine was cooking her art and just being an asshole I didn’t feel bad. Never should’ve been working with her in the first place.

The last 10 minutes or so are just some of the best seasonal anime stuff you’ll see and Fujita’s handprints are all over it. Kiui going back to Omiya to confront her past and finally move forward took a lot of courage.

This is a girl who’s had to change her whole identity, stop going to school, move away from home.. then she makes a new identity and it’s doxxed, mocked and almost taken from her.. that pain would’ve been too much for a lot of people

And here go these lame ass losers who’ve never accomplished anything in life, making fun of someone pursuing their dream. So glad Mahiru was there to take a stand for her best friend and I love the scene going back and forth between the video game screen with the character fighting off a bunch of enemies.

Kiui’s impassioned “Normal people like you have no idea what it’s like to get mocked for the things you love” is something that everyone should be able to empathise with and feel. It’s also exactly what Mahiru needed to hear and gave her to courage to be herself and finally attach her real name to a piece of artwork. So happy for both of them. One episode seems like such a short period to wrap this all up.. I really hope DG can give us a great ending ❤️
Marinate1016Jun 15, 12:04 PM
Jun 15, 9:59 AM

Aug 2010
Kiui carried this episode super hard, proud of you you little vtuber.

As for the series as a whole, it seems that the studio doubled down on letting all the potential go to waste. Was there a change of writers halfway through the season? It's so hard to imagine that the same people who crafted the first couple of episodes are the same folks that are responsible for the current trainwreck unfolding.
Jun 15, 10:09 AM
May 2021
Reply to Marinate1016
😭 we only got one episode of this left man I can’t say goodbye to these girls. This needs to become a multimedia project. People saying the show nosedived are tripping, show got way better with the angsty drama. That’s exactly what I wanna see in my lesbian romances. Perfect contrast to Sasakoi where main ship instantly gets together.

Sorry GBC, but this has regained the number 1 spot after this Kiui masterclass. This episode was directed by Fujita Shounei who’s worked with SHAFT for over 15 years and it definitely had a distinctive SHAFT vibe, especially during Kiui’s “coming out” scene. A ton of good stuff in this episode before that as well.

For starters, love that Mei continues being there for Kano not just as a stan, but a genuine friend. Helping her focus on who and what she wants to write music for. There’s a nice dichotomy in this episode with Mei and Kano and Yoru and Kiui, both pairs have known each other longer than Kano and Yoru, so it allows them to connect in a different way.

Now in my opinion, Yoru did redeem herself today by the end of the episode in terms of the Kano situation by helping Kiui and also putting in a word for JELEE to perform with the sundolls next week. But at the start of the episode when Yukine was cooking her art and just being an asshole I didn’t feel bad. Never should’ve been working with her in the first place.

The last 10 minutes or so are just some of the best seasonal anime stuff you’ll see and Fujita’s handprints are all over it. Kiui going back to Omiya to confront her past and finally move forward took a lot of courage.

This is a girl who’s had to change her whole identity, stop going to school, move away from home.. then she makes a new identity and it’s doxxed, mocked and almost taken from her.. that pain would’ve been too much for a lot of people

And here go these lame ass losers who’ve never accomplished anything in life, making fun of someone pursuing their dream. So glad Mahiru was there to take a stand for her best friend and I love the scene going back and forth between the video game screen with the character fighting off a bunch of enemies.

Kiui’s impassioned “Normal people like you have no idea what it’s like to get mocked for the things you love” is something that everyone should be able to empathise with and feel. It’s also exactly what Mahiru needed to hear and gave her to courage to be herself and finally attach her real name to a piece of artwork. So happy for both of them. One episode seems like such a short period to wrap this all up.. I really hope DG can give us a great ending ❤️
@Marinate1016 I beg to differ. In my view the show quite fumbled when Mahiru made a wrong decision taking on the job for Kano's mother. Otherwise, all of this drama, hysteria and hassle would've been avoided. JELEE's music video would have been done sooner, and Kiui would have dealt with her own doxxing earlier. This show had been my contender for anime of the season, but the last several episodes are on the verge of making it lose the position to Konosuba S3.
Jun 15, 10:10 AM

Jul 2017
Looking at Kiui and how she is now blocking specific words on her chat, she's clearly gone back to how she was before.

As embarassing as Mei's singing is, reaching 2.2 million views, the audience resonated with her, egging Kano to do the same to complete the song. As for Mahiru, Yukine's job clearly is not cut out for her, with Kano's mother clearly going in the same direction to destroy her illustrating dream, as is with her own abandoned daughter. Of course, Mahiru feels the same that LookIdiot doxxing people is wrong, but it's also because of Kano that she is able to be where she is now. With Mei and Kano, their circumstances have been interchanged, with Mei providing encouragement to Kano, and Mahiru just feeling lost that she has to commit to the corporate life, losing her own identity once again in the process. This is the same for Kiui, which no thanks to her close friendship with Mahiru, both friends are showing the exact same emotions.

Going to Omiya to see Mahiru's original painting of the jellyfish from Kiui, this is at least one notion of their close bonded friendship. But in the same way, that also opens them to criticism from their classmates, which Kiui may have had enough of them in the past, and this is no different to fight for herself in public. With the song lyrics from Kano done, and Mahiru's art done with her own intention in mind with the Sundolls, negotiating to have JELEE in the same spot as well, how will it go?

Yikes, I don't know how you can resolve all of this within just 1 episode, it feels like it needs to be 13 episodes, but here we are.
Please, don't let this crash and burn.
Jun 15, 10:13 AM
Jul 2023
Another stellar voice acting performance, Tomita-san sure was not holding back.

Quite a ride this episode, everyone except Mei lost themselves, but gradually through understanding and determination, they found what their looking for, to speak to someone, to be true to oneself, and to not be someone else.

The lack of build up continues to be the series weakest aspect it seems.

Jan 2016
Reply to Mogami-kun
Kiui carried this episode super hard, proud of you you little vtuber.

As for the series as a whole, it seems that the studio doubled down on letting all the potential go to waste. Was there a change of writers halfway through the season? It's so hard to imagine that the same people who crafted the first couple of episodes are the same folks that are responsible for the current trainwreck unfolding.
@Mogami-kun yeah same feeling I've been having with these last eps. Was talking with someone recently and we think it may be inexperience of the writter finishing shows.
The only thing he is known to write is Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-Kun and while it has such a great character writting, its been going on forever already, over-extending the plot so damn much.
RyushindaiJun 15, 10:20 AM

Feb 2019
therjabundo said:
@Marinate1016 I beg to differ. In my view the show quite fumbled when Mahiru made a wrong decision taking on the job for Kano's mother. Otherwise, all of this drama, hysteria and hassle would've been avoided. JELEE's music video would have been done sooner, and Kiui would have dealt with her own doxxing earlier. This show had been my contender for anime of the season, but the last several episodes are on the verge of making it lose the position to Konosuba S3.

“I beg to differ” Join the club. See the “people are tripping” comment above.

Yea and then it would be boring. I want drama and spice.
Jun 15, 10:15 AM

Mar 2021
So happy to see Kiui stand up for herself and be proud of who she is. Only 1 episode left to go and am interested to see how they wrap this story up in only 1 episode.
Jun 15, 10:22 AM

Jun 2021
The only interesting part of this episode was the scene between Mahiru and Kano's mom. Didn't care much about Kiui's drama, because it felt like recycle of her previous drama.

Only one episode left, hope it somehow resolved in satisfying manner.Because I'm not a fan of the recent overly dramatic episodes.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

Jun 15, 10:23 AM

Jan 2013
kiui getting bullied was for the greater good and i will abide by this notion.
Jun 15, 10:24 AM

May 2020
I thought we already went through this Kiui stuff earlier, but if it was their way to conclusively state, "it's fine to be who you are, and what you are", then let it be I guess lol. Though again as usual, the representation of japanese bullying.. I mean anime bullying sucks lol.

Not so sure what caused miss mother to actually be nice there for a moment and accept Mahiru's art. Still the next week is the last episode, and I'm pretty sure they'd try to conclude this as happily as they could, which imo, not going to leave the kind of impression it would have if it wasn't for the overblown drama in the last few episodes.

Sep 2021
Episode mainly resolves any remaining issues for Kiui/Nox. I feel like I might have to re-watch it to understand the part when Kiui confronts those 3 characters; cause I felt like the stuff about having problems related to her gender in middle school (and when growing up) came out of nowhere. And all of a sudden we find out that Kiui identifies as a male (as her online persona)?

I might be wrong about that last part, although Mahiru/Yoru does refer to her as both a guy and girl at the end there so I'm probably somewhat correct (i think).

Looking forward to JELEE getting together and performing at a big stage in the last episode!

edit: I listened to those parts again. Kiui/Nox doesn't actually explicitly mention that she identifies as a male (as her online persona), only Mahiru referred to Nox as a guy at the end there. Kiui created Nox as her ideal self (the person she wants to be); I don't think there were any hints to gender identity mentioned from Kiui herself. If your subtitle had this line: "The guy I created, the persona I love", note that Kiui was referring to Nox not as a guy/male but as a persona (with no indication of gender). I think a more appropriate sub might be: "The persona I created, that I love..."

Kinda feels like Mahiru/Yoru is the only one that saw Nox as a male persona of Kiui (and by extension, turning it into a gender thing at the end there). Personally, I don't think Nox is a male persona but just a persona for the ideal version of Kiui (i.e. no regards to gender at all).

tl;dr: I do not think Mahiru/Yoru should have said that line referring Kiui/Nox as a girl and guy cause it touches upon the topics of gender identity which I feel the show touched on too lightly (in my opinion). Yes, I know I am reading too much into all these. Still, glad that Kiui/Nox stood up for herself back there. It would have been great to see the 3 bullies' reaction after that, cause I imagine they would have been scared off similar to how she chased away those bullies when she was a kid.
yhagniJun 15, 12:40 PM

Dec 2010
Did Kiui really stand up for herself? I bet those "friends" just called her menhera and went back to their business. Too bad we didn't see their reaction to that outburst (or maybe it's good considering how the show framed this?).
Jun 15, 10:30 AM
Feb 2020
Man ppl really be holding grudges with someone they havent seen in years huh?I wouldve just not bother honestly,not like gonna see them often anyways.Im not really sure if Yoru in any position to make these kinda request but yknow.
Jun 15, 10:32 AM

Nov 2009
Not sure what to think about Kiui's drama conclusion but look like it ends up as a ladder for Mahiru motivation.

Around middle of episode, it seems Mahiru was going to regret working for Kano mom, but she managed to turn thing around and made things work for both Sundolls business and JELEE's activity.

I assume Mahiru saw the lyric that Kano wrote and sense that she want to sing for her parent(?)
Jun 15, 10:34 AM

Mar 2020
Kiui carried this episode. Proud of her, and she continues to carry the show, along with Mei last week. The voice acting performances from those two have been superb.

I really don't remember a case where the supposed stars of the show just fell flat like this. Mahiru and Kano both have been a little aggravating to watch lately. Kano has been all lost after Mahiru left, and suddenly she creates a song at the end, and Mahiru asks Kano's mother Yukine to see if JELEE could perform with the Sundolls. Not only is this super rushed, but also this drama is ham-fisted. Kiui's story is fine, though those bullies there were just frustrating to see. It's everything else that has just been a little much to handle. This might be a case where there was a good show in the making, but they overcooked it so that while it's still edible, it's chewy and leaves you a bit underwhelmed. With more time to flesh things out, it might have fared better, but this is just wasted potential for me. I wish they kept things more simple, and just stuck to creating music. Again, with the drama earlier in the season, it was fine, but things have tumbled down in the last couple of episodes for me. It's hard for me to drop this down too far since the direction, voice acting, and animation have been pretty great, but it's tough to see this ending in this manner, but sometimes, anime originals have that sort of a fate.
Jun 15, 10:46 AM

Jul 2021
Let's see if the last episode can save the series or not.
Jun 15, 10:47 AM
Apr 2023
I think the last episode will focus on Kano's mother. Maybe it's gonna be a tearjerker, maybe not.
Jun 15, 10:49 AM

May 2023
One more episode left... Miyu Tomita shows her best performance in this episode.

Kiui is my favorite character in this anime, but the conclusion of Kiui's drama is less than satisfying, but at least I liked what she said in this episode.

Just hope that the last episode will give the full impression of this show.
Jun 15, 10:51 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to yhagni
Episode mainly resolves any remaining issues for Kiui/Nox. I feel like I might have to re-watch it to understand the part when Kiui confronts those 3 characters; cause I felt like the stuff about having problems related to her gender in middle school (and when growing up) came out of nowhere. And all of a sudden we find out that Kiui identifies as a male (as her online persona)?

I might be wrong about that last part, although Mahiru/Yoru does refer to her as both a guy and girl at the end there so I'm probably somewhat correct (i think).

Looking forward to JELEE getting together and performing at a big stage in the last episode!

edit: I listened to those parts again. Kiui/Nox doesn't actually explicitly mention that she identifies as a male (as her online persona), only Mahiru referred to Nox as a guy at the end there. Kiui created Nox as her ideal self (the person she wants to be); I don't think there were any hints to gender identity mentioned from Kiui herself. If your subtitle had this line: "The guy I created, the persona I love", note that Kiui was referring to Nox not as a guy/male but as a persona (with no indication of gender). I think a more appropriate sub might be: "The persona I created, that I love..."

Kinda feels like Mahiru/Yoru is the only one that saw Nox as a male persona of Kiui (and by extension, turning it into a gender thing at the end there). Personally, I don't think Nox is a male persona but just a persona for the ideal version of Kiui (i.e. no regards to gender at all).

tl;dr: I do not think Mahiru/Yoru should have said that line referring Kiui/Nox as a girl and guy cause it touches upon the topics of gender identity which I feel the show touched on too lightly (in my opinion). Yes, I know I am reading too much into all these. Still, glad that Kiui/Nox stood up for herself back there. It would have been great to see the 3 bullies' reaction after that, cause I imagine they would have been scared off similar to how she chased away those bullies when she was a kid.
@yhagni Yeah Kiui did say that. It's not handled well enough as previous episodes should have made a clear point out of this. They presented Kiui's personality and attitudes for how she interacts and was bullied, but didn't fully commit to Kiui's gender identity characteristic. At least they previously subtly showed Kiui not liking her body (especially her boobs).
During the drama outburst, Kiui said:
Kiui official subtitles said:
The guy I created, the persona I love
I won't let anyone deny that identity!
watsymJun 15, 11:10 AM
Jun 15, 10:52 AM
Apr 2023
I like how they casually told in this episode that Kiui does not like her big boobs (yes, if you remember from the license episode). And by casually, I mean Kiui shouting but skipping on the details.
Jun 15, 10:53 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to yhagni

@yhagni probably just because Yoru accepts both Kiui and Nox
Jun 15, 10:56 AM

Nov 2023
One more episode remains in this wonderful cute show.

Maybe we getta new season in future.

Btw, Kiui chan just roasted them.

Mahiru is cooking something with that offer for sure.
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
Jun 15, 11:00 AM

Apr 2010
Another great episode, since it entered the last arc (ep 9) it's been a great build up to the end.
Jun 15, 11:02 AM

Oct 2017
The girls struggling with their own problems but they've finally overcome it and found their answer. Nice buildup for the finale. Excited for JELEE's performance. Kiui was great btw. Been a while since I could relate with a character.
MegamiRemJun 28, 7:22 AM
Jun 15, 11:32 AM
Jul 2016
This anime started good, but got train wrecked along the way. I don't get the Kiui problem... who the fuck cares what some random shit-heads thinks? I would just ignore them. Also Kano's Mom is just a selfish, manipulative bitch, why can't they see that?
Jun 15, 11:37 AM
Jul 2021
yhagni said:

I agree it was vague but that may not be terrible. If anything, the fact that one of the bullies immediately commented on Kiui’s body, them(?) generally wearing baggy clothing, and dropping out school to avoid being seen all feels re-contextualized by this episode. That and Mahiru using they/them pronouns leaves me with a sense of Kiui not identifying as cisgender, but there might not be enough time left to better define things.

Like many other parts of this show, it feels like something that was presented well enough but leaves me wanting.
Jun 15, 11:42 AM
Sep 2022
In my previous comments I was right. . Redemption of the mother and the idol is coming, for that there was no need for so much drama, but what has bothered me a lot in this chapter is how they have played The topic of Kiui's gender identity, a topic like that needed more than one chapter, not if it was because of the chaotic subtitles, but I wasn't knowing what was happening to Kiui, it was a Theme that could have been developed better throughout history. That being said (for me) Kiui has become the only reason I have continued watching this anime, it's a shame it hasn't gone into more depth Much more into her and what she was going through. Greetings
HormigoJun 15, 11:47 AM
Jun 15, 11:49 AM
Mar 2015
The grils stood up for themseles
Jun 15, 12:07 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to yhagni

@yhagni I left it in my comment, but it bothered me a lot how the ambiguity was played on the topic of Kiui's gender identity, not to mention the chaotic subtitles that still bothered They have messed me up more. It's a shame that it hasn't gone into more depth in previous chapters in Kiui to know everything for sure. That being said (for me) Kiui is the best character in this anime by far.
Jun 15, 12:19 PM

Mar 2021
Kiui absolutely cooked those losers. The character writing continues to be stellar. Episode 11 is here and it's still the clear AOTS. Not a single weak episode to its name.

Praying for a strong finale next week!
Jun 15, 12:23 PM
May 2024
I don't think it's a song aimed at Yoru or Jelee. Kano's mother is more likely although I hope it doesn't end up boring like that. What makes me curious is there any interaction between Yoru/Mahiru and Kano in the last episode, who do you think will apologize first?
Jun 15, 12:26 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to yhagni

@yhagni Just to reply to the edit, but when she says The guy I created. She uses 'ore' in Japanese (「俺」), which is a masculine pronoun meaning "I" signifying that the avatar is identified as male. Translator must of though that guy would be enough to identify it as male, but if that was lost or not in translation.. oh well.

extract from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_pronouns for ore
Frequently used by men.[10] Establishes a sense of "masculinity". Can be seen as rude depending on the context. Emphasises one's own status when used with peers and with those who are younger or of lesser status. Among close friends or family, its use conveys familiarity rather than "masculinity" or superiority. It was used also by women until the late Edo period and still is in some dialects. Also oi in Kyushu dialect.
Jun 15, 12:34 PM

Sep 2021
Reply to watsym
@yhagni Just to reply to the edit, but when she says The guy I created. She uses 'ore' in Japanese (「俺」), which is a masculine pronoun meaning "I" signifying that the avatar is identified as male. Translator must of though that guy would be enough to identify it as male, but if that was lost or not in translation.. oh well.

extract from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_pronouns for ore
Frequently used by men.[10] Establishes a sense of "masculinity". Can be seen as rude depending on the context. Emphasises one's own status when used with peers and with those who are younger or of lesser status. Among close friends or family, its use conveys familiarity rather than "masculinity" or superiority. It was used also by women until the late Edo period and still is in some dialects. Also oi in Kyushu dialect.
It is a Japanese pronoun thing but it does not definitively signifies the avatar is identified as male. A lot more complicated and in-depth and can be used in different ways, in different contexts. And yes, I know a little about the different Japanese pronouns. Also, she always uses 'ore' if i remember correctly so it was not a pronoun used specifically in that instance to identify the avatar as male.

edit (don't want to mess up the forum so i will write it here): my bad, she does use 'watashi' to refer to herself usually irl, which is gender neutral in formal language but often used only by females in informal settings. But she uses 'ore' when she was a kid and in her Nox character which was what left the greatest impression when i thought about her use of 'ore/watashi' (As a matter of fact, she often mixes it up depending on the context). Either way, in my opinion, it does not have a relation with her gender identity. After all, 'ore' can also be seen as used when a person wants to sound tough (which i believe is why she uses 'ore' as Nox based on what had been shown of her character throughout the series).
yhagniJun 16, 7:11 AM
Jun 15, 12:37 PM

Aug 2022
The dynamics between the main 4 girls are so good.
Jun 15, 12:41 PM

Aug 2022
Marinate1016 said:

Dam are there seriously people complaining? This and girls band cry are 2 of my favourites shows this season.

I don’t really see what there is to complain about I mean if it’s about the drama then people should
Just drop the show cause that’s a pretty big part of this show.
Jun 15, 12:46 PM

Aug 2022
BladeX05 said:
This anime started good, but got train wrecked along the way. I don't get the Kiui problem... who the fuck cares what some random shit-heads thinks? I would just ignore them. Also Kano's Mom is just a selfish, manipulative bitch, why can't they see that?

Well if you understand her problem then you’re lucky. You must have never had a self conscious type of mentality.

There are millions of people who have that self conscious type of mentality who care about what others think and it can be really hard to break out of that. For kiwi it she’d be even more self conscious especially considering she’s a v-tuber and part of JELEE

And I mean yeah, kano’s mum is like that sure, that’s kinda just how the business world can be. She cares about success the most. I’m sure at least Kano herself sees her mother like that.
Jun 15, 12:48 PM

Jul 2021
Phantom_373 said:
Marinate1016 said:

Dam are there seriously people complaining? This and girls band cry are 2 of my favourites shows this season.

I don’t really see what there is to complain about I mean if it’s about the drama then people should

If the drama was well written, people won't complain. the way everything is getting crammed into these last few episodes.
Jun 15, 12:49 PM

Feb 2019
Phantom_373 said:
Marinate1016 said:

Yea look at the dude who replied to my comment above lol. They think the drama with Kano and Yoru hurt the show and the “quality nosedived” I guess they just wanted CDGCT? The drama literally led to Mei’s confession, Kiui accepting herself, Yoru learning to love her heart and presumably next week Kano learning to sing for herself.
Jun 15, 1:02 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to yhagni
It is a Japanese pronoun thing but it does not definitively signifies the avatar is identified as male. A lot more complicated and in-depth and can be used in different ways, in different contexts. And yes, I know a little about the different Japanese pronouns. Also, she always uses 'ore' if i remember correctly so it was not a pronoun used specifically in that instance to identify the avatar as male.

edit (don't want to mess up the forum so i will write it here): my bad, she does use 'watashi' to refer to herself usually irl, which is gender neutral in formal language but often used only by females in informal settings. But she uses 'ore' when she was a kid and in her Nox character which was what left the greatest impression when i thought about her use of 'ore/watashi' (As a matter of fact, she often mixes it up depending on the context). Either way, in my opinion, it does not have a relation with her gender identity. After all, 'ore' can also be seen as used when a person wants to sound tough (which i believe is why she uses 'ore' as Nox based on what had been shown of her character throughout the series).
@yhagni She uses Watashi for herself. I can't gurantee she hasn't used ore before online, but irl she used Watashi multiple times. Watashi is gender neutral I.
I don't think it was a case of nuance when it come to it's use there, which is also further supported by Mahiru's reaction when talking to Kano's mom, but I'll leave it to others to look into it further if they wish.
Jun 15, 1:14 PM

May 2019
While Mahiru asking Kano's mom if JELEE can perform in the same venue with the sundolls is bold she didn't ask Kano and the other girls for their thoughts although I suppose it was a sudden thought she had.

With one episode remaining I don't think that the overblown drama from the last couple of episodes will get resolved in a satisfactory way especially between Kano and her mom, Kano and her old group, and heck even Kano and Mahiru.
Jun 15, 1:22 PM

Nov 2013
Sorry, wtf? Why is Kano's mom suddenly tolerant and reasonable person???

Naah, this show has fallen so badly. No wonder they resort to cheap fanservice from time to time. Kiui drama, for instance, this episode felt unnecessary, as if we've repeated something we've already seen. So, last episode we're gonna get a happy ending with Jelee getting permission to participate from Kano's mom of all people, and that's it? Heck, I won't be surprised if Kano's mom makes amends with Kano! Nah, promising show that turned into yet another forgettable one. Meanwhile people sleeping on "Girls band cry", mostly sadly due to it not being available on legal sites as I've heard.
Jun 15, 1:31 PM

Nov 2013
Alfredo-Sauce said:
With one episode remaining I don't think that the overblown drama from the last couple of episodes will get resolved in a satisfactory way especially between Kano and her mom, Kano and her old group, and heck even Kano and Mahiru.
Seeing Kano's mom with a smile, praising Mahiru, felt incredibly anticlimactic. I think what you doubt is exactly what will happen in the final episode. Everyone's problems will be resolved conveniently and everyone will be friends with everyone. I hope I'm wrong, but again, Kano's mom smiling even though Mahiru defied her direct order... Dunno, fingers crossed for a not-so-cheesy and predictable finale I guess.
Jun 15, 1:33 PM
May 2023
The only anime of this season that I could connect with and it showed the relationships between people properly
Jun 15, 1:50 PM
Nov 2022
Marinate1016 said:

People complain forgetting that these are high school girls, so this affects them differently than an adult, which I presume most of these people are. They say they would have chosen the perfectly correct path when in reality real life isn’t like this.

I stopped taking most of the fanbase that chats on here seriously after Episode 9 in all honesty.

The one thing I will say in defense of some that complain, I would agree with those saying the drama was shoved in the last few episodes. I kinda wished that the drama was more shown throughout the series, or built up in a more obvious way.

Overall love this show, and look forward to the ending of it!

Solid 8/10 (possibly higher depending on how the end it) in my eyes, and one of the best this season.
Kaze1214Jun 15, 1:53 PM
Jun 15, 2:09 PM

Jun 2019
Two episodes in a row with no interaction, whether hostile, conciliatory, dispassionately neutral, or otherwise, between Yoru/Mahiru and Kano, after the emotional bomb dropped and tsunami foisted upon both the characters and the audience at the end of episode nine, can seem like a bold, questionable, and maybe even ill-advised move, but what it tells me is that the story this series is trying to tell is larger than just Yoru and Kano's relationship - whether platonically as friends, romantic, professional partners, or anything else. It's not really a show about their relationship per se. It's equally as much, if not moreso, about their relationship with and how they see themselves (self-acceptance), the whole group, and how all four of them, individually and collectively, relate to the larger world.

Especially if, as I assume, the season finale next episode ends up being a permanent series finale and this only ever has one season as a lot of anime originals do. Rather than sticking with one character or a relationship between just two of them, they really used the time allotted in these episodes to focus more on the core themes of the show. That might not please people who wanted a closer deep dive into one character (will Kano or Yoru or anyone else's issues really be satisfactorily wrapped up in the span of one episode in a true comprehensive way? Probably not) or them as a duo, but I think they did a pretty sound job of making use of all the cast of the main girls and balancing their personalities, issues, and role in the story. Far from perfect but it's a music-centered coming-of-age teen drama with 12 episodes not exactly aiming or expected to reinvent the wheel.

If I had one complaint with how everything has gone down and been handled up to now, it would be that out of the four girls I felt Kimura/Mei got the most short-shrift ever since her introductory episode (which was the second episode), last episode's fleeting spotlight notwithstanding, but that's probably because she's my favorite of the characters so I felt that shortage more acutely.

You could do an entire series, one far longer than 12 episodes even, just on Yoru with everyone else as sidelined background characters, Kano with everyone else as sidelined background characters, Yoru and Kano's relationship, Kano's relationship with her mother and her former group, etc. Most series don't manage to incorporate and tackle all these different plot threads in-depth in the runtime afforded by 12 TV half-hour blocks of episodes without feeling incredibly rushed. This series hasn't actually felt all too rushed to me, so even if they leave some stuff out that could have been probed a lot further, it's better than visibly speedrunning it (a la a Yakusoku no Neverland season 2-style slideshow at the end or something outrageous like that).
WatchTillTandavaJun 15, 8:28 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 11

131 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 27, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 13

135 by BabyBlouie »»
Sep 9, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 22

192 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 8, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8

134 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 11:35 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Pinoffin - Jun 1

206 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 12:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.