3It was OK
19.6%
2Disliked it
4.6%
1Hated it
1.5%
Average 4.2
194 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 15, 2013 9:33 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Nice, the fun continues. I'm glad the Demon Queen has her own resolves. Well, overall I thought the episode was okay and ending seems tense. Looking forward to what's coming next~
Mar 15, 2013 9:35 AM
Dec 2012
It was enjoyable. Merchant did a good job. The idea of future transaction is nice.

Never imagined salt was so precious in the underworld.

I was confused at the library scene. Was it a flashback? Maou was talking as if she had not met Yuusha yet.
Mar 15, 2013 10:45 AM

Jun 2012
Hmm... why is Merchant doing the things he's doing if he knows the implications? I thought he was doing it to make the Elders who are siding with the Central Nations back out but all it's doing is causing war. Is Merchant just doing as his job as and trying to make a quick buck regardless?

Very interesting episode focusing on political/economic turmoil and how economic control can grab a nation at its feet by surprise. The thread of war linked Hero and Merchant together but they need to meet up and discuss what's been happening or else tensions will rise between the two. Merchant has always been more of a chaotic neutral enigma in this series but he really excercised that role this week.

Kind of surprised at the lack of Maou for the past couple of episodes now... we're almost at the end and you're still renewing your Demon King license
HybridMBLMar 15, 2013 3:12 PM
Mar 15, 2013 11:20 AM

Nov 2008
Dam! This is getting good!

Hopefully these last two episodes will give this story a nice ending for the time begin.

Also the Head Maid and Maou looked a look hotter back then! Maou looked thinner.
ClementIVMar 15, 2013 11:28 AM
Mar 15, 2013 11:56 AM

Nov 2012
Good episode, but it's not the same without Maou. Hopefully she will be back next episode before the world goes up in flames.
Mar 15, 2013 11:57 AM

Aug 2010
OMG maou and head maid younger! and with twintails! I'm sold =)

Also, tension is rising... war is imminent. But it looks like Yuusha has a plan, I hope this ends well.

On a side note, the dragon princess looked cuter in this episode.... I wanna pet her tail <3
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Mar 15, 2013 12:05 PM

Feb 2008
man..the manga is so much better....but this was good too. still i hope they make a second season.
Mar 15, 2013 12:06 PM

Aug 2012
Quite scary how these sudden economic changes can alter the flow of the everyday life, even so to create a war between people.
I think I lost the whole plan somewhere, since I can't see anything good from the plans of Merchant.
Mar 15, 2013 12:18 PM

Oct 2010
only 2 more episodes to go , will they cover remaining chpts of manga in the 2 episodes or we will get to see season 2
Mar 15, 2013 1:18 PM

Jul 2012
Nice episode with some more developments with the story. Looking forward to how this will end.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Mar 15, 2013 1:27 PM

Feb 2012
Younger Maou wanted to bang Yuusha even as a baby..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2013 1:33 PM

Dec 2009
This show becomes better when it focuses on Merchant.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Mar 15, 2013 1:53 PM

Sep 2012
Nice build up episode, really waiting to see Maou..

Itching to know if there is going to be a full scale war or someone who will save the day ^^
Mar 15, 2013 1:57 PM

May 2012
Mar 15, 2013 3:08 PM

Mar 2013
I could sworn Merchant was on Maou's/Yuusha's side, or did I miss something? What IS he up to?
Mar 15, 2013 3:10 PM

Feb 2011
Boring episode ... meh , it will probably get better ... at least that's what I'd like to think .
Mar 15, 2013 3:50 PM

Jul 2009
NNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGHHHHH, DEM TWINTAILS.

... Oh yeah, the story was good too. Lots of buildup this time. I wonder when will Maou return?
Mar 15, 2013 4:27 PM

Nov 2011
They can manipulate the economy quite easily, i hope maou comes back soon, its not the same without her, maid big sister gained some points too.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 15, 2013 4:43 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
eminagnam said:
I was confused at the library scene. Was it a flashback? Maou was talking as if she had not met Yuusha yet.
Yes.

Wordsmith said:
On a side note, the dragon princess looked cuter in this episode.... I wanna pet her tail <3
Might not want to do so without being invited, however - I'm betting that one has a rather nasty bite. ;)
Mar 15, 2013 4:52 PM

Jul 2012
I was so close to dropping this, so close. The only thing that keeps me up is the fact that there's only two episodes left.
Mar 15, 2013 4:55 PM

Feb 2012
Pretty awesome episode, the Merchant was pro in this episode, the flashback was really nice.

Looks like war is about to go down soon.
Mar 15, 2013 5:13 PM

Nov 2012
Dat Twin tailed Maou... and that was 15 years or so prior canon.

Two episodes left. They should cover the war and Maou's return in that two episodes... I really can't wrap my head around that.
Rifaz89Mar 15, 2013 5:17 PM
A city's greatness is determined by the speed of its internet connection.
Mar 15, 2013 5:13 PM
Jun 2008
That young merchant was truly evil ^_^
Many will die in hunger during the coming winter and it will become more worst if the war did not went well if the winter country succeed in postponing the war xD
The young merchant sure knows how to earn during critical time.

It seems like our potato friend are safe from this price inflation because he is a heretic in the central country lol.Maybe people from there will start eat those when they have no choice.
cephilis said:
lol xD
People who live long have the patient to wait .
Mar 15, 2013 5:21 PM

Nov 2007
HiroC's laugh is always amused to listen.

Maid Ane gets more action than Yuusha in planning.

Maid chou in the flashback with Maou,... so young! And Maou is much older than Yuusha!

War begins?
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 15, 2013 5:30 PM

Aug 2011
"What's wrong about that ?"

I'm in love with the appeal of this series
Mar 15, 2013 6:07 PM
Sep 2012
Things moved really fast in this episode. First, a revolution and independence from the central nations. Second, a food panic with people starving in the north. Third, a declaration of war. Oh, there's also that nice flashback of Maou when she first became a demon king. Can't wait for the next episode.
Mar 15, 2013 6:35 PM

May 2012
Pretty good episode, its setting the stage for whats to come next episode. I cant wait to see how the Hero handles the war, and if the Demon King comes back soon.
Mar 15, 2013 6:59 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Lots and lots of stuff happened in this episode. Lots of talking also. The merchant is an interesting character, but for so reason, I also can't figure out if he's on Maou's side or not. I like all this economic focus because I actually understand it. I guess AP Econ came of use for once.
Mar 15, 2013 8:10 PM

Feb 2012
I wonder how the Winter King avoided a rebellion in his kingdom. I imagine his country works on a feudal system and he would have angered all of his nobles by freeing the serfs. I imagine that if a king did that, most of the nobles would ban together and dethrone the king. While I know the Central Kingdom is desperate, I don’t know how they are able to launch an assault in the winter. Even in modern times (WWII), a campaign started in winter is bound to fail.
Mar 15, 2013 9:14 PM

Jul 2009
futures and forwards ^^;
finance101
Mar 15, 2013 9:49 PM
Feb 2013
So a lot of you seem to be wondering what the Merchant is up to, well lets go over what some parts of his plan are:
Hes buying up all Central nations wheat, while also giving out these future transactons which will flush the Central nobles with spare cash. The nobles will then use the cash to quickly fund an army to fight the Southern nations (This part requires timing, since they will have made an army right as Winter begins)

Now all Southern nations have to do is stall them, and have winter do their work for them, and the Central army will have no wheat to use for food for their army (Since Merchant bought them all up) and they'll have no gold to buy more wheat (they spent it all on their army and wheat prices have skyrocketed)

An army, fighting without food AND in a snowy winter climate will be forced to retreat until warmer climates, which will buy Southern nations time until Demon Queen comes back......and ALL of this plan is happening while Merchant is making a ton of cash.
Mar 15, 2013 10:36 PM

Sep 2008
Axxen said:
So a lot of you seem to be wondering what the Merchant is up to, well lets go over what some parts of his plan are:
Hes buying up all Central nations wheat, while also giving out these future transactons which will flush the Central nobles with spare cash. The nobles will then use the cash to quickly fund an army to fight the Southern nations (This part requires timing, since they will have made an army right as Winter begins)

Now all Southern nations have to do is stall them, and have winter do their work for them, and the Central army will have no wheat to use for food for their army (Since Merchant bought them all up) and they'll have no gold to buy more wheat (they spent it all on their army and wheat prices have skyrocketed)

An army, fighting without food AND in a snowy winter climate will be forced to retreat until warmer climates, which will buy Southern nations time until Demon Queen comes back......and ALL of this plan is happening while Merchant is making a ton of cash.

No money and no food? That should buy them some time.
Books are gateways to new worlds...
Mar 15, 2013 11:23 PM

Sep 2008
that young merchant sure knows his stuff, he is manipulating market prices with commodity futures, I assume since this is something new there are no regulations at the moment. I wonder how long he can keep this up before someone wises up.
Mar 15, 2013 11:25 PM

Sep 2008
So how does one break a monopoly in belief? Start a religion. Let the Protestant Reformation begin!
Mar 16, 2013 12:25 AM

Dec 2011
More economic stuff... it can make the watchers feel how it went through during the old times.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 16, 2013 12:49 AM

Jan 2011
This episode was a nice watch and what they're doing is pretty interesting. I didn't give a shit about the flashback though, that part was downright boring. It feels like there's still a long way to go, but according to some this isn't the case. Why didn't they go for a 2-cour? :(
I consider this a buildup episode, hopefully the final two will be really good. And I do want a second season, seriously.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Mar 16, 2013 1:58 AM
Nov 2010
Axxen's explanation sure helped me out. The episode ended and I was still lost at what the merchant was trying to do. x3
Mar 16, 2013 4:16 AM
Dec 2012
MorningGlory said:
cephilis said:
lol xD
People who live long have the patient to wait .

No wonder she was generous to him when they met each other for the first time. Now I wonder if she is ready for his death. He's just human and can't live for thousands of years, unlike Maou. Nevertheless will she marry him?
Mar 16, 2013 6:03 AM

Dec 2010
I really don't like the fact theres only two episodes left. It seems like its going to get rushed. Its either going to end with the end of the war, or its going to end just before the war starts to leave it at a cliffhanger and then season 2 will be announced. I personally am hoping for the latter.

Anyways great episode, merchant sure is good at manipulating the economy and stuff. Those 3 students of Maouu should get some more screen time. Also a bit of a shame that the anime is only 12 episodes long 24 episodes would've been a lot better.
Mar 16, 2013 6:12 AM

Jan 2013
darkwap said:
I really don't like the fact theres only two episodes left. It seems like its going to get rushed. Its either going to end with the end of the war, or its going to end just before the war starts to leave it at a cliffhanger and then season 2 will be announced. I personally am hoping for the latter.

Anyways great episode, merchant sure is good at manipulating the economy and stuff. Those 3 students of Maouu should get some more screen time. Also a bit of a shame that the anime is only 12 episodes long 24 episodes would've been a lot better.

Idk its pretty much where the manga is, then again Idon't know where or when the manga is set to end, hell I've been waiting for the latest issue to finally come out. -_-
Mar 16, 2013 6:36 AM

Sep 2012
darkwap said:
Also a bit of a shame that the anime is only 12 episodes long 24 episodes would've been a lot better.
According to reviews written by Japanese fans who read the novel (the actual source material, not the manga) to really adapt everything in the novel it needs 3-cour at the very least but preferably 4. There is no way a 1-cour series can adapt the whole story in the novel.

RedArmyShogun said:
Idk its pretty much where the manga is, then again Idon't know where or when the manga is set to end, hell I've been waiting for the latest issue to finally come out. -_-
But the manga is just based on the novel, so it is just another (partial) adaptation of the novel like the anime.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 16, 2013 7:32 AM
Jun 2008
eminagnam said:

No wonder she was generous to him when they met each other for the first time. Now I wonder if she is ready for his death. He's just human and can't live for thousands of years, unlike Maou. Nevertheless will she marry him?
She could marry him if she want and she can find another one once the old one is expired xD !! just joking...
The little mermaid is a popular fairy tail I know whereby immortal(long live) gave up their immortality just to marry to mortal men. Maybe Maou will do the same .
Mar 16, 2013 1:55 PM

Jan 2013
Some of it was interesting to me, other parts weren't.
Mar 16, 2013 2:10 PM

Jul 2012
MorningGlory said:

The little mermaid is a popular fairy tail I know whereby immortal(long live) gave up their immortality just to marry to mortal men. Maybe Maou will do the same .

Aah, one of my favourite fairytales, hopefully maou's story will not have such a tragic turn of events. As I recall, things didn't work out quite as the little mermaid had wished them to.

darkwap said:

Totally agree. They should have given the story more time to unravel, give a few more background-stories and information....
I just started reading the manga (they give at least a tiny bit more information), but even that one does not seem to do the ideas and problems that are transported by this story justice.
One can easily realise that a great deal of consideration was given to the original content and neither of the adaptions seem to come up with a narration that matches this.. That's kind of sad...
I would like to be able to read the light novel, there isn't by chance an english version, that can be purchased somewhere?
Mar 16, 2013 4:30 PM

Jan 2013
Nice, hope to see more.
Mar 16, 2013 5:21 PM

Apr 2012
Young Merchant invented Futures Contracts, forced the Central nations into a war, managed to further relations with Gateway city, and all while lining his pockets. What a card.
Watching:
Shinsekai Yori, Robotics;Notes, Psycho-Pass, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, Sasami-san@Gambaranai
Mar 16, 2013 9:47 PM

Apr 2009
The Merchant Alliance is helping to cause unrest in the Central kingdoms by bringing scarcity through hoarding. It brings the specter of revolution closer, but also drives the human kingdoms to war. They're a neutral party on the human camp, after all. Not exactly on Central nor Southern Kingdoms' side but as a faction of their own.

Interesting to see how the war between Humans and Demons have essentially stalled due to internal unrest on both sides. Dragon Princess visits Young Merchant to make a deal with salt for the needs of the Demon World... meaning trade between humans and demons are only a matter of time.

Nice to see a bit of Maou and Head Maid's past animated. I did NOT expect those twintail hairstyles, but they are highly appreciated. The manga (which came from the novels, I know) is still ahead, so I think I can now see where this is going to end (for a while at least; no further sequel would be an injustice).
Mar 16, 2013 11:06 PM

Sep 2012
A lot of talk has been surrounding the Merchant faction, but don't forget just like this episode, in real history the adoption of printing press also aided in the spreading of treatises written by people like Martin Luther and helped the quick spread of the Reformation idea back in the 15th century.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 16, 2013 11:45 PM

Sep 2012
SayakaMagica said:
Nice to see a bit of Maou and Head Maid's past animated.
And apparently it shows Maou is considerably older than Yuusha? When Yuusha is just a baby looking less than one year old, Maou is already a teenager. Assuming Maou ages like human, this means Maou should be around 15 years older than Yuusha. And given the fact that the flashback was 15 years ago, that would make Maou like 30 years old and Yuusha just a teenager...
symbvMar 16, 2013 11:48 PM

Mar 17, 2013 12:26 AM
Apr 2012
One thing bothering me through this whole episode, and ever since i watched this episode...
Did anyone notice in the the flashback when she said that the Hero was ONE of TWO LIVING SINGULARITIES..? So whos the second, and just what exactly are they?

Oh and with everyone talking about the age, remember, she is a demon, she could have lived for hundreds of years by now for all we know. Only thing that revealed is that the hero was around 15 or 16 at the beginning of the series, and it this point im guessing hes around 18 or 19 considering how fast the story is going through the seasons.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2013

219 by mogneto »»
Sep 18, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Do you think that anime season 2nd will be available in future?

SametTakao - Nov 6, 2023

13 by zazo_Zero_2 »»
Aug 17, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

465 by PankesuPlease »»
Jul 13, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2013

111 by Split_Head_77 »»
May 24, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2013

125 by Split_Head_77 »»
May 24, 8:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.