3It was OK
41.2%
2Disliked it
11.8%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 3.4
17 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 16, 2009 6:54 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I loved this short! Reminded me a lot of those old Disney cartoons. Only wish they would have shown the cat give the wings back to the butterfly.
Apr 11, 2010 2:10 AM
Nov 2008
Nice piece of animation history, heh.

Aug 14, 2013 7:09 PM

Nov 2010
It was like a Disney cartoon with not that good of art fused with Japanese culture. It was ok, story was nothing special. I would have liked to see the butterfly getting back her wings though.
Feb 21, 2014 11:18 PM

Apr 2013
Really not surprised this is reminiscent of old Disney cartoons, they most likely were inspired by them as well as possibly Felix the Cat (I'm not sure how well the Bosko the Talk Ink Kid cartoons caught on over there). It's a little silly with some nice visual puns (the firefly comes to mind the most), and the mouse is a dick, which is kind of the standard for these cartoons. But the cartoon just... ends. They don't come full circle at the end, it just stops once the mouse drops the key. We don't get a resolution whatsoever, and that hurts it a little.

Pretty sad that the cartoons we have from the same time period are in better condition than this. But it was still interesting to watch a Japanese cartoon from the Golden Age.
Feb 20, 2015 1:30 PM

Nov 2010
That jerk deserved to die!
Jun 19, 2015 7:51 PM

Apr 2014
I reminds me of the old stuff I watched at my grandparents growing up:P Mouse was a dick..
---------My Profile------------
Jun 2, 2016 12:39 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Finally the cat wins and not the mouse!

That mouse was so mean. =(

This seriously needs a higher rating..
Jul 30, 2016 1:27 AM

Aug 2012
Well, this is most likely the oldest thing I've ever seen fully. Unfortunately, due to my low exposure to animation back then, I'm kinda left incapable of fairly assessing it's value. There's some obvious loop animation and consistency issues (the cat plants it face first and then is immediately running again) but how common-place were these?I'm definitely letting the looping slide, that's a product of it's time but the latter I might take a bit more issue with. Regardless, the VA was terrible and outside of mic quality, I don't really think that should be forgiven because of age.

But outside of those qualities, I can freely criticize the story. Everyone's already brought this up but it deserves repeating, not showing the butterfly get the wings back was a big mistake. Not only does it leave the ending abrupt but it denies us the satisfaction promised us in these type of story. Yes, we want to see the bad guy get his upcomings but the moment of satisfaction comes when we see the protagonist success. Not that she had to be the one to get it back, having the cat do it was fine, but we witness her work hard and strive to get back what is rightfully her's, without seeing her actually get the wings back, it kinda invalidates the journey. I'm left feeling incomplete, like there was another minute or two of story left just untold for some bizarre reason. The Unlucky Butterfly gets a 4/10.
Dec 10, 2018 7:36 PM

Jan 2017
I thought it was ok overall, but the beginning and ending were rushed. I hope whoever made this got proper criticism and learned that what the audience wanted was not just punishment for the mouse, but a satisfying conclusion for the butterfly.
May 4, 2019 4:12 PM

Feb 2017

That mouse was a total piece of shit, he deserved worse tbh.

7/10
May 4, 2019 5:24 PM

Oct 2015
Hated what that douche of a rat did to my cute butterfly, extorting her like that. Glad those birds poked him good.

6/10. enjoyed it.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 14, 2020 4:51 AM
Oct 2008
Top 10 anime villains

#1: This damn mouse
May 22, 2023 4:16 PM
Oct 2017
def see the Disney-like appearance people are mentioning, and prob is def related/inspired. Ahh the start of animation is so interesting.
Dec 28, 2023 1:04 AM

Dec 2021
Anyone else notice how mice are usually bad guys, I'm assuming its cause of Mickey with the Americans.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.