Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 19, 2021 5:58 AM

Jul 2017
The final spurt to save Hiyakawa, starts from Keita allevating curses in order for Mikado to catch the young Hiyakawa and get him out of his predicament.

It took a strong of emotions for both Mikado and Hiyakawa to finally rescindle their fate together and bring the latter back to the present time, all in good condition, which felt too simple and that there wasn't any gain from it.

The gathering moment of Yakitori between the entire supernatural cast, and seeing Hiyakawa's growth with Mikado and Hanzawa's progress just feels like a resolution too late that he could actually be saved, just if not ignored during his growing-up days. The one thing that matters: the contract between them is nullified.

A complete adaptation of the manga...but worse in every respect.
Dec 19, 2021 8:09 AM
Jun 2016
I feel like crying when I finished watching the last episode. I'll miss this series for a while
Dec 19, 2021 8:28 AM
Sep 2015
Belong to supernatural/horror genre more than boy love.
Dec 19, 2021 9:39 AM

Dec 2015
so disappointed... this could've been way better
Dec 19, 2021 10:53 AM
Oct 2019
It was okay ig but I was hoping for at least a smooch between the main characters…
Dec 19, 2021 11:07 AM
Oct 2020
I liked it. I never completed the manga so I can't really compare the two but as an anime only person the story was quite enjoyable
Dec 19, 2021 11:46 AM

Nov 2019
A soft finale, tying up lose ends into a decent ending

Mikado and Hiyakawa's relationship has progressed so much, the development though the series was quite interesting to follow

A 6/10 for me, might consider reading the manga at some point
Dec 19, 2021 11:58 AM

Jan 2010
well, as an adaptation, this was pretty mediocre. Cramming 10 volumes into 12 episodes, so manga content got cut. Which delivered a very rushed and incomplete feeling show. And since episodes 11 and 12 adapted volume 10, which hasn't been released in English yet, I couldn't follow a long with the manga to see what the anime cut.

This episode reminded the audience that this is technically a BL story with that "confession" from Mikado. Because of how butchered this adaptation was, Mikado caring so much for Hiyakawa and wanting to be with him yadda yadda...it felt very un-earned? Because earlier in the show, I felt zero romance between them. A critique I've brought up already. I guess they love each other? But I just wasn't feeling it.

I guess you could argue the romance is more subtle. I think a lot of has to do with how lousy of an adaptation this was. The majority of the cut chapters, where these dself-contained one-shot stories with Mikado and Hiyakawa doing exorcism jobs. But it had nothing to do with the main storyline involving Mikado's dad.

Speaking of which, the way everything was wrapped up with Mikado's dad was so anticlimactic? But maybe there was more to it in the manga. Also, shouldn't Erika and Sakaki be sent to prison for the crimes they committed while working for Mikado's dad???? Erkia was an accessory to murder by doing dirty work Mikado's dad. Yet she gets off totally scot-free. In early episodes she accepted that she might have to atone for what she did once she joined the good guys....but whatever.

I still enjoyed this slightly more that Blue Period's piss-poor adaptation. Which isn't saying much. But dang, two mediocre anime adaptations that I've watched this season. Thank god for Ousama Ranking which has been an incredible adaptation so far. I guess there's now DS which has been good too.

But as someone who is always craving for more BL tv anime, Sankaku Mado no Sotogawa wa Yoru was pretty disappointing.

Can only hope Sasaki to Miyano is better, even though it looks like your typical very generic, white-bread high school romance story
Dec 19, 2021 1:54 PM

Mar 2016
I love problems being solved by talking instead of having a big fight scene. But, just talking makes scenes weak, especially when magic is a part of the story. They could have created proper drama with ups-and-downs, using everything that had been built till now. Because this is an animated story, it has a lot of advantage over live-action. So, they also could have used those advantages to heighten our emotional experience, like with metaphorical imagery or unrealistic camera angles or just anything.
Instead, they just talked and ended the whole thing. And, the talk wasn't even that good. It didn't have the honesty and vulnerability required to help someone recover from trauma. It was completely weak, and had no impact.

Hiyakawa never felt right throughout the story. His acting, the way he's drawn, the way his lines are written—everything felt wrong. I could never relate to him at all. It's like the anime creators just didn't know how to write him.

The animation was too stiff and also too cartoony at the same time somehow.
Dec 19, 2021 3:19 PM

Feb 2017
this honestly doesn't even need to be tagged as bl. i've watched shows NOT tagged with bl/yuri that have more bl/yuri elements than this. this is probably the first show tagged bl i've watched that didn't even have the characters kiss. i'm not gonna be pressed about that though, just kinda used to more romance and i was surprised it ended like that

idk i felt lost throughout this show but i still found it enjoyable. i'm glad that both MCs were fleshed out and given backstories - rather than just being stale af like the MCs in mieruko-chan, for instance. was kinda hoping for more of that spooky energy from the first few episodes though

also just wanted to say that i never got used to rihito's voice. his VA and his character design did not go together imo

i have the manga in my ptr so i'll probably get to that at some point. i'd like to think i would understand the story a bit better and hopefully see a more of an actual ending rather than mikado's dad playing dead on the floor and erika just going to chill & have some sushi

placeholder text
Dec 19, 2021 3:56 PM
Jul 2018
The ending came from this show although I didn't really care about the ending it was another ok ending for the characters in this show.
The plot never ceases to be interesting.
Dec 19, 2021 7:08 PM

Jun 2017
Somehow I finished the series, but I can't say I understood much of it. At least it wasn't BL, so that's a plus. Mob Psycho was much better.
Dec 19, 2021 11:46 PM

Jan 2021
amagirinomikoto said:
this honestly doesn't even need to be tagged as bl. i've watched shows NOT tagged with bl/yuri that have more bl/yuri elements than this. this is probably the first show tagged bl i've watched that didn't even have the characters kiss. i'm not gonna be pressed about that though, just kinda used to more romance and i was surprised it ended like that

This is more or less what I thought after seeing the ending...

Even though I haven't read the manga, I think it's a pretty bad adaptation. As an anime only, I felt lost few times and didn't really understand what happened in some episodes, there were also some scenes that make me wonder why it's like that, etc.. but somehow I can still enjoyed it a bit :D

Also, to be honest, Hiyakawa's close-up is good looking.. in my opinion (that's a plus point lol).

Dec 20, 2021 12:54 AM

Jun 2007
disappointing ending with disappointing animation.
you can't "save" anyone, it's everyone's own job.
we didn't even get a hug but somehow it's "bl"
6/10

p.s. it's been few hours and i'm still pissed. the way camera focused on their hands when mikado caught tripping hiyakawa? what the fuck was that. like.. "see? THEIR HANDS ARE TOUCHING. isn't it just smoking hot? it's almost 18+ BL! we are DELIVERING". and then it focused on the shoulder pat "they almost HAD SEX just now! a shoulder pat! kimochiii.... please don't show it to children"
SorvarinDec 20, 2021 2:57 AM
see you, space cowperson . . .
Dec 20, 2021 3:21 AM

Sep 2015
So, I wasn't confused during the story. I actually enjoyed it. The cool 80's/90's colors, patterns and the ending song just wound me up everytime but holy cow this ending. I guess like Rihito, I feel like I have a vacant hole in me.....from this ending. Wtf.

So Erika and her bodyguard just f*ck off I guess, the mom is still down about her unresolved relationship, the kid goes bar hopping, the dad lays on the floor in a dark room and our two "love birds" go clean a house that they will not be cohabitating in because there was really zero progression in their relationship this last episode. It ended with a hand touch and a shoulder touch and one mc being confused about whether the other would even show back up. I don't even know how to describe how I feel.
Dec 20, 2021 8:46 AM

Dec 2020
What even was this show -_-
Dec 20, 2021 9:23 AM

Jul 2009
Aside from the decline in animation, the closing of the plot didn't feel good at all. It seems strange to me because from episode 1 to 9 everything was going very well. I suppose because lack of time and inexperience this proyect end... well, like that.

They devoted a lot of time to secondary stuff and did not dedicated enough time to the relationship between the story important ties: Mikado<-> Dad and Mikato<-> Rihito.

Regarding Mikato-> Rihito, I am not talking about I whant to see BL stuff, I am talking about Rihito's salvation should come from a better bond built with Mikado, and that was not shown or at least it doesn't in the anime. I think it is possible that the end in the manga should feel a lot better.
Dec 20, 2021 4:28 PM

Feb 2017
hanakocheeks said:
amagirinomikoto said:

This is more or less what I thought after seeing the ending...

Even though I haven't read the manga, I think it's a pretty bad adaptation. As an anime only, I felt lost few times and didn't really understand what happened in some episodes, there were also some scenes that make me wonder why it's like that, etc.. but somehow I can still enjoyed it a bit :D

Also, to be honest, Hiyakawa's close-up is good looking.. in my opinion (that's a plus point lol).

honestly omg yes - i felt confused at some points. i had to keep rewinding because i would realize i had no idea what anyone was talking about. at some point i just stopped rewinding and watched this while being thoroughly confused with the plot lol. i agree though that it was still enjoyable for the most part. i really liked the first few episodes with the erika mystery

agree with your second point too - both MCs were nice to look at actually. the only thing i had a problem with was rihito's voice because i just couldn't get used to it. it felt so off to me if that makes sense???

gonna be giving the manga a read at some point so i just hope i'll be less confused and some things will be a bit easier to understand without having to constantly go back haha

placeholder text
Dec 20, 2021 4:38 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Pretty good end to a pretty good show, I really liked that we not only got Mikado saving Hiyakawa, but we got the celebration with the main gang afterward, I’ve come to like them all and to see them having a good time together was a good way to end it. The scene where Mikado went back to his mom was nice too, I’m glad she remembers Mikado’s dad again. I also liked the end credits, showing all those pictures of a young Mikado with his family was nice, also that final shot of him and Hiyakawa cleaning the room lol.

While this wasn’t the best show, I found myself enjoying it quite a bit once it got going. It feels like yesterday I was being very skeptical of dropping it around episode 1 and 2 lol, but I’m glad I stuck it out because overall it’s a pretty good show, I came to really like all the characters and the outcome was pretty good imo, it’s a shame they didn’t do more with Mikado’s dad but I still like how it turned out. Another thing I think could have been better was the horror vibe, early on it was really good, but near the end of the show it wasn’t quite as much there, but the story really picked up so it’s not the worst thing, and the content cuts from the source are a shame as well but once again, didn’t hurt it that much for me. But yeah, I think this one was very unique and interesting, not my favorite show but I’m glad I watched it.
Dec 24, 2021 8:54 AM

Dec 2016
It was really rushed and I didn't feel anything for the scenes that were supposed to be emotional.

Should I just take Mikado for a really emotional and a feeling type person cuz I don't think they had enough convincing character development for him to cry like that.

The whole anime I tried my best to get use to Hiyakawa's voice and I almost did but in this episode specifically, Hiyakawa's voice sounded so funnily off that I choked on my tea in the scene where he tripped and Mikado got hold of him. His voice reminded me of when Gowther's voice sounded so unnaturally full of emotions when he got his heart/emotions back.

The plot of this story is really good and quite unique but the way they delivered it seemed like they were forced to adapt this or something. It looks like many important details were skipped. They should've explained more about that “hate”. It was really confusing. It should've had at least 20 episodes for it to have a proper finish.

Overall 6/10. The plot is worth getting a 7 if proper explanations were made.
Dec 24, 2021 6:08 PM

Jan 2009
I wish they gave less screen time to Erika, and more screen time to Mikado and Hiyakawa's relationship. I just couldn't feel their bond because we didn't see their relationship much. And by "relationship", I mean friendship at this point. After 9ish episodes I didn't expect to see any BL anyway.

*sigh* I'm just disappointed. The plot was so promising but it just didn't work.
Dec 27, 2021 4:21 AM

Jan 2013
In this episode of Yami no Matsuei, Hijiri reaches out to Tsuzuki who is stuck in the darkness of his past and heals him of devil possession by saying 'I like you'.
The joke ends here. This show has even less homoeroticism than Yami no Matsuei (which wasn't a BL anime/manga either), cause at least YnM had a gay villain... In Sankaku Mado there was only fanservice in the first couple of episodes. Disappointing.

And they just left Kousuke's dad there, no fu**s given. So anticlimatic. Erika's dad is dead, but she doesn't seem to be bothered in the slightest. Okay, she was a psychopath in the first place, but inviting her mom to sushi under such circumstances was simply in bad taste.

-Eva- said:
I wish they gave less screen time to Erika, and more screen time to Mikado and Hiyakawa's relationship. I just couldn't feel their bond because we didn't see their relationship much. And by "relationship", I mean friendship at this point. After 9ish episodes I didn't expect to see any BL anyway..

Same. Mikado is the MC of the story, yet it seems he got pushed to the background by other characters as time went by. Was this anime tailored-made for China or something? Even sports shows like Free! were more daring than this --supposedly-- BL anime.
Dec 27, 2021 7:13 AM

Jun 2019
My 175th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 6/10 rating.
Dec 27, 2021 2:15 PM
Mar 2020
Reversed Oedipus? Hhhh
The first four episodes weren't very enjoyable... The pace was weird. But once it reveals some clues of the boss it became more and more enjoyable. I like all the CPs, especially the parents!!!
Jan 4, 2022 4:19 PM

Aug 2015
Sometimes, found family is a girl, her adoptive yakuza dad, her adoptive detective uncle, her two gay friends, and her therapist.

The combination of me initially watching this as a joke and the first few episodes being so ridiculously suggestive has made this journey into a decent supernatural plot + exploration on trauma honestly fantastic. Halfway through this show I was no longer watching for a laugh and fully invested in the story and characters. I wasn't expecting this show to have some of the most lovable characters and intriguing twists this season, but boy am I glad I stuck around past the initial super on-the-nose sex metaphors.

I can see why BL fans would be disappointed in the trajectory of the plot, whereas supernatural mystery fans would be instantly turned off from the first episode alone. But I just so happened to be in the Goldilocks zone where I loved the transition from really hammy BL between the two mains, to focusing on more of the supporting cast, to a supernatural mystery, to exploration on trauma.

I was genuinely cheering for Kousuke's growth from a doormat into a confident young man. Really entertained by how he and Rihito had a bit of a personality swap after the climactic fight.
I really liked how Erika was introduced as a potential villain but as we learned the truth she became more lovable and integral to the group dynamic. I absolutely adored her yakuza bodyguard who just seemed like a jackass at first but turned out to be a sweetheart - the father figure she needed, and her biological father could never be.
And I loved all the supportive moms T.T

Anyway, yakuza dilf best boy. We love a protective tsundere.
whitherJan 20, 2022 1:44 AM
Oct 12, 2023 12:40 AM
May 2022
Plain BL with so so Story Line but it was OK I guess...
Nov 14, 2023 1:54 AM

Nov 2021
how dare they use the family photos during the credits?! 😭

May 20, 3:39 AM

Feb 2014
Well, the final episode left me with a good feeling, so the show has that going for it!

Often times I felt confused during this series about what tf was going on. But otherwise interesting show. I liked the side characters way more than the MCs. 7/10
L had a poster of Norman in his room
May 26, 8:51 AM
Mar 2021
Je dirais que c'est un peu trop fade
Jul 2, 10:25 PM
Jan 2012
I really want to know more about the dad. Like did he redeem himself? Did he and the mom ever met up again? I felt like he originally left the family cos he really wanted to protect them but I guess overtime, he got so lonely and frustrated about not remembering the woman he love and who loved him, he went kinda crazy. But I do believe, initially, he wasn’t a bad person. He was just unlucky that he had the same abilities as Mikado but without anyone to be there for him while Mikado had his mum. I can’t help but kinda have some hopes for the father to come back. Since Mikado can now kinda take care of himself and he has his own “lucky charm” now.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sankaku Mado no Sotogawa wa Yoru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Oct 3, 2021

83 by FrantrelYt »»
May 26, 8:56 AM

Poll: » Sankaku Mado no Sotogawa wa Yoru Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 12, 2021

10 by JeanFranciss »»
May 26, 8:51 AM

Poll: » Sankaku Mado no Sotogawa wa Yoru Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 5, 2021

9 by JeanFranciss »»
May 19, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Sankaku Mado no Sotogawa wa Yoru Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Nov 28, 2021

16 by JeanFranciss »»
May 19, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Sankaku Mado no Sotogawa wa Yoru Episode 8 Discussion

KANLen09 - Nov 21, 2021

10 by JeanFranciss »»
May 19, 9:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.