Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 7, 2021 3:17 PM

Oct 2008
so we have lower level Haikyuu but more emo huh...
4/5.

Jan 7, 2021 3:36 PM

Jul 2012
So MC is a Tobio/Kei hybrid lmao

Well, not a bad start!
Jan 7, 2021 3:38 PM

Jan 2014
Looks OK, tbh it doesn't look like it's gonna be be heavily about baseball, it's probably gonna focus more on the drama and on the two main characters and their growth, which is a shame cause i love sports anime because of their focus on the sports.

also, what's up with megane-kun being a copy/paste of kageyama?
i understand they're trying to follow the hq hype train, but that's a bit too similar
Game over. If that's the case, I just have to play again.
Jan 7, 2021 3:48 PM

Nov 2015
Anyone read the light novel? This feels like a BL/yaoi.
I hope it's a BL
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jan 7, 2021 4:14 PM

Feb 2011
Interesting dynamic between Yuni-Chika-Yori. Super curious to see how that goes. Is Yori really just concerned or is the bad boy group he's apart of influencing him? I do think he cares, why else would he look up information about Chika? But that group doesn't look good and Chika clearly hates how they treat Yuni.
眠れないのは君のせい
Jan 7, 2021 4:34 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Well, it was good but.. maybe a bit too fast paced, we already got a time skip lmao
Jan 7, 2021 4:51 PM
Sep 2020
Okay, honestly, I was a bit skeptical about watching this, as I am a big Haikyuu fan, and in general, if this anime didn’t do something completely different from Haikyuu, it wouldn’t get watchers. Seems like there’s going to be more non-volleyball drama.

Also, Chika’s backstory... sheesh. Reminded me of Kageyama’s at first, but much, much darker. I’ll be interested in watching his character development and redemption.

Gave it a six. Not too good, not too bad. I already see some people giving it a 10. Not sure about the manga, but the anime definitely does *not* deserve the title of masterpiece.
frogigirlJan 7, 2021 5:03 PM
Jan 7, 2021 4:57 PM
Jul 2020
the Opening is catchy and you can feel the hype, decent animation from the first seconds of the anime its pretty eye catching, i like the plot its pretty much just like haikyu especially their setter I see kageyama in him but i hope their standards matches haikyu i feel like this anime will be more emotional than your typical Sports anime, looking forward to this also the ending is thrilling
Jan 7, 2021 5:10 PM
Jul 2018
Damn I’m already liking this anime and Chika seems interesting 🤔
Jan 7, 2021 5:23 PM

Apr 2009
This is gay as fuck. That position question lol.

The pacing was... odd, especially the last 3/4 were they just straight up time skip to one month after. But I'll say enjoyed the first episode at least.

Jan 7, 2021 5:43 PM

Jun 2008
Old_School_Akira said:
I hope it's a BL

Someone is translating the novel on tumblr. I can message you a link, you want.

I was pretty intrigued by the first episode but I hope this story doesn't get too melodramatic.
hirahiraJan 7, 2021 8:26 PM
Jan 7, 2021 5:48 PM

Dec 2014
Surprisingly good, I liked it a lot. Sounds like it will have more drama than sports but that's fine too. Production and direction seem good. It's definitely not the next Haikyuu but it looks like it could be very good and I generally like sports anime so I'm looking forward to it.

Liked both the main characters so far, the training sequences and even the small bits of match we got in the beginning was good. I think Yuni should've been more careful than to brush off volleyball as something he would quit, he's clearly been watching up close how much effort Chika is putting into it and teaching their beginner team.

Only thing missing is Yuki Hayashi music. xD
Jan 7, 2021 5:55 PM
Jun 2020
That ending Slaps
Jan 7, 2021 5:57 PM
Jun 2020
Jannes26 said:
where can I watch it?

On Funimation if you're from UK, Canada or USA, if you're from Australia or New Zealand, go watch on Animelab.
Jan 7, 2021 6:15 PM

Nov 2010
Although I don't like sport anime, I tried the 1st episode and it's not bad because of some drama.
---
I wondered what "2.43" meant. According to the Net, the number means standard men's volleyball net height. Now you can sleep well.
Jan 7, 2021 6:20 PM

Dec 2019
It was a decent start I would say, I like some of the drama but I hope it doesn't become exaggerated. Still hype tho.
Jan 7, 2021 6:33 PM

Apr 2009
hirahira said:
Old_School_Akira said:
I hope it's a BL

It's not.

Someone is translating the novel on tumblr.

I was pretty intrigued by the first episode but I hope this story doesn't get too melodramatic.

Isn't this based on a light novel currently not finished? So yeah not BL, but it doesn't necessarily exclude romance or subtext between the main characters like something like Richard.

Jan 7, 2021 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
I don't really see the Haikyuu in this. Off of solely first impressions, compared to Haikyuu; characters don't seem that that likable, animation is a little more stiff, some conflict right away. I mean it's only a one cour season, so I guess you're going to have to expect some melodramatic drama for ◆conflict◆.

Couldn't stop comparing glasses guy to Tsukishima, seems like his dark past was revealed. Pushed a guy so far over the limit that he tried to commit suicide. I wonder how that will affect the 2 boys relationship, will he side with the guys that are using him for money or a somewhat murder of some sorts? Looks like he really cares about what other's think, so he's probably going to choose guitar guy. Sorry I don't remember their names (*^∀゜)

Saw a lot of yoai in the episode thought lol. Is this suppose to be a yoai anime, or they doing that to appeal to female audiences or something? Anyways seems ok so far, 5 or 6/10 episode.
Jan 7, 2021 7:59 PM

Jun 2008
Jin_uzuki said:
hirahira said:

It's not.

Someone is translating the novel on tumblr.

Isn't this based on a light novel currently not finished? So yeah not BL, but it doesn't necessarily exclude romance or subtext between the main characters like something like Richard.

Oh, I’m sure there will be plenty of subtext. Maybe something like Tsurune. But as far as being explicitly canon, I have my doubts. The author has only written het stuff, afaik. Since the novel is ongoing, we probably won’t get any real resolution in the anime. I’m currently trying to find out what I can about the novel but I plan to enjoy this story for what it is and not get overly invested in whether or not a ship is canon.
hirahiraJan 7, 2021 8:19 PM
Jan 7, 2021 8:23 PM
Dec 2020
be4 said:
The op was good, the show kind of feels like a beginner's guide to volleyball and if Tsukki and Tobio became one person it would probably be Haijima, Yuni on the other hand is such a cutie!

Right!! It makes him more dangerous but I love it!
Jan 7, 2021 10:47 PM
Apr 2019
i was very excited for this and this seems promising. loved the op. chika’s character sounds a bit like kageyama but DAMN he got someone to try to kill himself? that’s rough. overall i liked the first episode and excited for what it has to offer
Jan 8, 2021 12:10 AM
Feb 2019
since people are kind of compare this to haikyuu i don't think both are comparable at all, I'd rather think this anime are more to hoshiai no sora, with a very thick drama and dark story but tbh it's kinda little bit rushed
Jan 8, 2021 12:58 AM
Jun 2020
As a sports series , the first episode feels emotionally heavy. The volleyball aspect seems to be heavy too with all explanations to the positions and moves .
After haikyuu this series will end up getting a lot of comparison but on its own the start seems pretty strong.

Nice intro music
Jan 8, 2021 2:13 AM
Apr 2020
Wait up.. I know you guys are so hyped (as well as me) since this is an another volleyball anime right after Haikyuu, but why is the rating too low? I mean, the first ep is great. I have nothing against it. The animation, OST, plot, and the movements are pretty well done. It should be 8.00 and higher..

I guess this is were the comparison starts with the rating.
But for me, both is great. And I already like this anime
Jan 8, 2021 2:50 AM
Jul 2020
its pretty average imo... Idk why maybe cus i liked haikyuu a bit too much for almost everything it did this seemed kinda boring to me... The op and ed are really good i enjoyed them a lot but i expected the animation to be a bit better but i guess it makes sense cus of this covid situation... The story seemed pretty lacking until now a straight up 1 month time skip and nothing noticeable happening except the end which too isnt that surprising ... I guess it has a bit more human aspect for which i do give it credit for... so the gist is im not impressed by it but ill still give it a shot cus it seems alright right now.
Jan 8, 2021 4:15 AM

Oct 2016
That was not bad at all, the pacing is kind of fast though. And from that first episode, I can tell that it's going to be way different from Haikyuu, the only thing that reminded me of Haikyuu would be Chika's extreme setter personality but, that's about it. So, we don't need to unnecessarily compare the two. Overall I kinda liked it, OP and ED were great too.
Jan 8, 2021 4:57 AM

Mar 2017
I love this! Whether it's more about character-drama or the matches, or even both, i'm in! OP and ED are great too.
Jan 8, 2021 6:08 AM

Nov 2016
pint said:
FMmatron said:
Off brand Tsukki takes things a bit too far. Got Kageyama vibes.

Won't expect a second Haikyuu from this, but seems promising and I hope for some engaging drama. Production and opening are nice. Even got a hint of fujo bait, as it should be.
Seems like it'll be volleyball with a lot of drama involved. I don't mind this style though, it's something different.

Yeah, it could very well play out in a similar way to Run with the Wind.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 8, 2021 6:22 AM
Aug 2017
It's kind of funny how sports anime is geared so much towards the female/queer audience.

Everything seems to have that Haikyuu vibe tnat makes you uncomfortable. This isn't even trying to hide it.
Jan 8, 2021 6:27 AM

Apr 2019
FMmatron said:
pint said:
Seems like it'll be volleyball with a lot of drama involved. I don't mind this style though, it's something different.

don't know if it can get to run with the wind level :p

Jan 8, 2021 6:30 AM

Nov 2016
pint said:
FMmatron said:

don't know if it can get to run with the wind level :p

Not that level, that would be too much xD but at least follow a similar structure.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 8, 2021 6:46 AM

Nov 2019
I'm so happy that "Kensho-San" is Chika. I liked the episode and excited for next one.
Jan 8, 2021 6:50 AM

Aug 2019
Solid start, a volleyball anime that is very different from haikyuu since it doesn't have shounen elements. It's more like run with the wind with its overcoming one's personal struggles and maybe a bit of coming of age stuffs. I hope the sports and drama will be balance well and not so melodramatic.

and not so many BL stuffs please
Jan 8, 2021 7:04 AM
Dec 2019
Show gives off hoshiai no sora vibes, this probably has the highest ceiling of the shows this season except maybe aot.
Wataru doesn't care about the genuine thing
Jan 8, 2021 8:52 AM
Sep 2018
when Tsukishima is a setter with Kageyama style background... Now let's hope for how Yuni turns out to be...
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Jan 8, 2021 9:21 AM

Jan 2018
Looks promising. Reminds me of Run With the Wind. Also kept thinking about Haikyuus Kageyama and Tsukishima lol
Jan 8, 2021 9:33 AM

Mar 2016
cool beginning :) looking forward to the development

seems like it'll be a super dramatic show!

Jan 8, 2021 10:37 AM

May 2019
I don't want to compare this with Haikyuu but Chika is so much like Kageyama that it's very hard not to.

Also, this dude is a genius for wearing contact lenses during a match, Tsukki could never.

This looks like it'll focus more on drama and less on hype action, and I'm totally okay with it. It takes it to a different direction. But I hope they don't make things overdramatic like Free! S3.

All in all a nice premiere.

Is it just me or is the animation here really better than Haikyuu To the Top lmao
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Jan 8, 2021 11:39 AM
Oct 2020
ar1sh said:
and not so many BL stuffs please

Cope, it's not even explicit.
Jan 8, 2021 12:25 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
An interesting starts but all can happens!
Jan 8, 2021 12:41 PM

Mar 2017
Well damn, didn't expect so much drama in the first episode! I guess Yori's right to warn Yuni about Chika after what happened to Chika's teammate in Tokyo but there's just something I don't like about Yori already; he seems like he wants to keep Yuni down for some reason, claiming that it's all for his sake.
Jan 8, 2021 1:25 PM

Nov 2010
I'm sorry, but that a kid goes to suicide over criticism in a sports team stretches my suspension of disbelief to the maximum from the start.
What would a kid like that do when there was actual bullying and not just some harsh (but at least somewhat warranted criticism), bomb the school?

I have seen countless anime where characters get pushed into suicidal thoughts, and it is a very delicate thing to touch on, but I have never seen a more bogus reason to reach that matter.

Edit: I know this might only be a part of the reason, and we don't get the full picture, obviously, but this is supposed to be the hook of the show somewhat, and in that it fails completely.
Jan 8, 2021 1:59 PM

Jul 2020
Solid first episode, though the pacing was a bit too fast. The OP and ED are a bop. Just hope that this anime doesn't get too melodramatic...
Jan 8, 2021 3:47 PM
Oct 2019
I'm honestly really glad that this show wasn't a knock-off haikyuu, except for maybe chika who gave off tsukki vibes along with treating his teammates like kageyama. But this show seems a whole lot deeper than haikyuu, so I'll be keeping an open mind to this anime and not compare it to haikyuu at every moment lol.
Jan 8, 2021 4:17 PM
Jul 2018
I really liked the animation, The plot is very good

Mod Edit: Removed unrelated picture. Please use your signature.
Koito91Jan 18, 2021 12:37 PM
Jan 8, 2021 5:04 PM
Jul 2018
didn't expect it to go dark so soon. but I like volleyball and the animation was ok for me... I'll give it a few more chances to get attached to the characters
Jan 8, 2021 5:26 PM

Nov 2019
It was interesting to see Yuni's relationship with Yori and Chaki and what they represent.. The slacker cousin who he hanged out with.. Until the overachiever childhood friend came into the picture.. And at the end of the episode being put in a situation of having to choose a side..
Jan 8, 2021 8:00 PM

Oct 2009
Gotta love how so many people so quickly feel the need to put up the "no BL here, don't worry" disclaimers. So many right at the beginning of whatever they post, but hey, if that's the pattern, I'm starting with that too. It's sad that it's a label that needs to be applied, or quickly removed to have a placeholder instead, that it's something that defines whether one stays away from a story. But it's also sad in itself that yet another story had to shy away from it, perhaps exactly for that reason, who knows - especially while still retaining so many obvious elements trying to establish Chika as such an in-control top, right, because the bait's gotta be there...? Personally, I do wish we had more serious BL, I do wish this one had some serious BL.

Now that that's out the door - the first episode was great. Yeah, some characters look like "watered down" versions of certain others, but it's easy to look beyond that, especially with what's looming over the entire thing and gets confirmed as a sort of twist at the end. And even in the meantime, the situations and thoughts are easy to relate to due to how they're put on display. A solid start from a technical point of view, too, I think: the expressions, the body shapes, the animation were all great, hope it won't go downhill as the season progresses.
yellowheartrenJan 8, 2021 8:03 PM
Jan 8, 2021 8:13 PM
Jun 2020
the ep is good and
the typical smart cold on the outside main character lol
Jan 8, 2021 9:13 PM

Nov 2009
yellowheartren said:
Gotta love how so many people so quickly feel the need to put up the "no BL here, don't worry" disclaimers. So many right at the beginning of whatever they post, but hey, if that's the pattern, I'm starting with that too. It's sad that it's a label that needs to be applied, or quickly removed to have a placeholder instead, that it's something that defines whether one stays away from a story. But it's also sad in itself that yet another story had to shy away from it, perhaps exactly for that reason, who knows - especially while still retaining so many obvious elements trying to establish Chika as such an in-control top, right, because the bait's gotta be there...? Personally, I do wish we had more serious BL, I do wish this one had some serious BL.

Now that that's out the door - the first episode was great. Yeah, some characters look like "watered down" versions of certain others, but it's easy to look beyond that, especially with what's looming over the entire thing and gets confirmed as a sort of twist at the end. And even in the meantime, the situations and thoughts are easy to relate to due to how they're put on display. A solid start from a technical point of view, too, I think: the expressions, the body shapes, the animation were all great, hope it won't go downhill as the season progresses.

Who cares about these people lmao The say it for every anime even They basically go NONONO IT'S NOT GAY DON'T WORRY even when the actual material is gay as fuck (Like that one jewellery anime for some seasons ago)
They are basically reassuring themselves they are not gay for watching homo stuff, they don't even know what the story is about more often than not
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2021

39 by Diamond_Sel »»
Aug 27, 5:09 AM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2021

39 by Diamond_Sel »»
Aug 24, 3:13 AM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jan 14, 2021

87 by HotHamlet »»
May 4, 1:10 PM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2021

64 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 16, 12:15 PM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2021

43 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 16, 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.