Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Smile Down the Runway
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 14, 2020 9:49 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh boy, Chiyuki is running into some money problems about her trip to Paris.

Looks like competition is on as Tsumura faces the judges. Honestly, I think he has a lot of potential. That being said, it's very hard to make it into the fashion business so he has to be more prepared.
Stark700Feb 14, 2020 11:06 PM
Feb 14, 2020 11:40 AM

Feb 2019
WTF is the point of joining an agency and signing on exclusively to them if the models are responsible for finding their own jobs and paying for their own promotional material.
Feb 14, 2020 11:53 AM

Mar 2016
HOOfan_1 said:
WTF is the point of joining an agency and signing on exclusively to them if the models are responsible for finding their own jobs and paying for their own promotional material.

Yeah, that was surprising to me too. Could be a Japanese industry specific thing(?), because you may as well be a freelancer at that point.
Feb 14, 2020 12:16 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Beautiful episode again, I love Ikuto but I personally find that his pajamas design was ugly xD
Feb 14, 2020 12:30 PM

Mar 2015
So Ikuto could have done better if he wasn't cutting his budget short, and to be fair his circumstances are completely understandable, though I also agreed with Ayano when he said that his personal reasons shouldn't affect his client.

Whew finally my most awaited encounter! Chiyuki finally gets to meet Kokoro!! Somehow feel like they're going to get along very well.
Feb 14, 2020 1:40 PM

Dec 2014
hmmm everyone is trying so hard...hmm
Feb 14, 2020 2:43 PM
Jan 2012
Why this people don't like smol girls? Chiyuki is so perfect sized, fashion world, wake the fuck up! I wouldn't even blink if someone asked me to rate here - she's 10/10.

I hope Ikuto will get more manly, get some chad haircut and pump some muscles. You good boy, but get more masculine!

Pajamas made by Ikuto could be more lewd in my opinion, that model is cute, she should show little skin, I mean it's pajamas, it's for seducing your husbando at night, right?
As an disgusting thing deemed by moderation team, I am now purged from this place.
Feb 14, 2020 2:44 PM
Jul 2018
Bob get your hair cut already I understand that U have money problems but spending 15 bucks should be fine right. That’s my only complaint
Feb 14, 2020 3:03 PM

Sep 2011
Chiyuki's talk about Ikuto with her classmates was kind of awkward. I mean, I know they asked, but did she need to say all that? lol It felt out of place, like her answer was aimed at the audience, but I liked what she had to say. And also how she went from "we aren't friends" to "my friend made it for me" in the same episode. I also love how Ikuto decided to fight with a pajamas design, and how he was able to have trust in his design because of what Chiyuki told him. It was also "nice" to see more of Chiyuki's battle this time. A pity she couldn't meet Niinuma, but fate was on her side and they might still meet. And hopefully they will help each other to grow. I don't like what Ayano said to Ikuto though. It's true he could have lost for using "cheap fabric", but the high and mighty way he judged him for it was annoying to say the least. I bet, that despite whatever he might have been through with his grandmother, that he never had to worry about money in his life. Ever. What does he know of it? The worst is that it was pretty much a ploy to make Ikuto work for/with him, and it worked since he needs the money. I don't know though, Yanagida was awful at first, but I have a bad feeling about Ayano as well.
Feb 14, 2020 5:56 PM

Nov 2011
Chiyuki is starting to grow on me. I like her hard work and determination.

However in regards to a romance with Ikuto...nah Kokoro is #1. I think they have more of a connection then Ikuto x Chiyuki.

Like Chiyuki said they have more of a professional/business relationship.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Fall 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Feb 14, 2020 6:01 PM

Nov 2016
Already thought it wasn't a good idea to cut on his budget. Ikuto may have had his reasons and yet it doesn't change the fact that it wasn't a professional way to handle the task. I might be harsh on him, but being sloppy like that is something you can't afford yourself if you're serious about something.

Chiyuki on the other hand showed that he got what it takes, at least when it comes to her attitude. You gotta have a thick skin and be persistent to make it. And against all odds, she prevailed.

Really love watching this show. Wish it would be double cour.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 14, 2020 6:39 PM
Mar 2015
Our boy is able to get to the finals but he is going to have to sell his soul to make enough money for the finals
Chihyki gets a chance thanks to the girl who saw at the fashion show She will meet one of our boys fellow designers
Feb 14, 2020 7:00 PM
Mar 2017
This episode was intense, the hardest part to be heard in a competition, the review of the judges, but the worst part was that Toh, Ryu and Kaoru were the ones that evaluated Ikuto and they were quite direct in their evaluations.

If I am honest, the idea of ​​the pajamas was not bad, but I feel that Ikuto could have done something better, but I must emphasize that Ikuto has a good eye and a good ability to analyze the model, that detail Shoko said convinced me.
I am quite upset at the way in which many underestimated Ikuto for still being a schoolboy, especially Ryu who was very rude, Kaoru too, but she said it in a more sneaky but equally derogatory way, but when she saw that Toh would also be a judge her cool attitude collapsed, I loved her face, it was as if she said "I am doomed"
The evaluation of Ikuto was very discouraging, Toh was direct and without any tact, but this did not let Ikuto give up and also thanks to Chiyuki's words, in the end Ikuto passed to the next round and also won third place, but still So Toh could see through Ikuto and why his design had flaws and finally Toh offers work to Ikuto in his new clothing brand that he will launch.

Chiyuki by her side also went through difficult times, but I loved the photo session she had, as always she dazzled with her natural beauty and that last photo with the dress that Ikuto made to her was perfect.
As always, Chiyuki must endure criticism for her size, without the agent noticing the rest of her, her body, her legs, arms and her face, but this does not take away courage from Chiyuki and she throws her entire arsenal , but the interview is interrupted by the manager of Kokoro. Every time I see Kokoro's manager disgusts me, she is a dry woman without empathy, it was horrible how she looked at Chiyuki in the interview.
Too bad that Chiyuki knew Kokoro in this way, I'm sure the manager's witch will treat Chiyuki very badly in the next episode, I would love for Truck-kun to take that bitter lady.
I agree 100% with Chiyuki, Kokoro is beautiful, but I felt like she was another woman, I prefer the designer Kokoro, she is sweet and adorable.
salbery755Feb 14, 2020 7:04 PM
Feb 14, 2020 7:12 PM

Aug 2018
I understood the goal of making a pajamas, it totally made sense actually. But the design itself was... ugly. I mean, you only wear a pajama to sleep and nowadays you're not being recorded or taking selfies while sleeping, so no need to wear something fancy. Can't deny its originality though !
Feb 14, 2020 7:31 PM

Dec 2014
FMmatron said:
Already thought it wasn't a good idea to cut on his budget. Ikuto may have had his reasons and yet it doesn't change the fact that it wasn't a professional way to handle the task. I might be harsh on him, but being sloppy like that is something you can't afford yourself if you're serious about something.

Chiyuki on the other hand showed that he got what it takes, at least when it comes to her attitude. You gotta have a thick skin and be persistent to make it. And against all odds, she prevailed.

Really love watching this show. Wish it would be double cour.

Sums up my thoughts as well, though I can understand Ikuto's reasoning for not wanting to spend all the money, I think anyone would've thought twice about spending everything there if they were already struggling but I suppose when you want something, you have to go after it no matter the price. I hope we get more focus on Chiyuki like we did in the latter half of this episode, loving her determination. :)
Feb 14, 2020 7:40 PM

Jul 2017
so best girl meets main girl. ngl thought Kokoro was the one who dropped out but I guess not

and my boy Ikuto getting his own harem at this rate. Feel so bad for him, what a truly pay to win system this designer biz is lolol

Otorez said:
I understood the goal of making a pajamas, it totally made sense actually. But the design itself was... ugly. I mean, you only wear a pajama to sleep and nowadays you're not being recorded or taking selfies while sleeping, so no need to wear something fancy. Can't deny its originality though !

yea that design looked weird lol, even the first design kinda looked funky, but hey, modelling business amirite. Kaoru's designed looked really good though
Feb 14, 2020 10:17 PM
Apr 2018
HOOfan_1 said:

As far as I know, the models are responsible for getting a gig. As for the expenses, agencies are the one should be shouldering it. I don't know why in this show it's different. Maybe it's a Japan thing
Feb 14, 2020 10:22 PM
Apr 2018
shirakawa_megumi said:
Why this people don't like smol girls? Chiyuki is so perfect sized, fashion world, wake the fuck up! I wouldn't even blink if someone asked me to rate here - she's 10/10

IKR! they are so harsh to her. Fashion industry should consider more smol women!
Feb 14, 2020 10:53 PM

Mar 2016
The tall guy is a harsh mentor, I guess. I like him!

I loved Ikuto's idea, but his design looked kind of ugly. Actually, I don't understand fashion design. The designs are certainly creative, but they look quite weird.

The short-haired woman made a nice looking outfit.

What did Ikuto mean when he said he lost? Didn't he win?

Chiyuki's kouhai has a weird voice and sounds very unnatural. I can't feel any emotion coming out of the actress.
Feb 14, 2020 11:58 PM

Jun 2012
Seriously, that Pajamas doesn't look any better than the patchwork last episode. And I'm glad to know the answer behind it was Ikuto's consideration to his sister's money.
Feb 15, 2020 2:11 AM

Oct 2017
Chiyuki is doing her best to get selected and even if it's as a replacement again I'm glad she got one. Also that rude manager showed up again, god she pisses me of so much.
Feb 15, 2020 3:46 AM

Jul 2017
I see Kaoru has some unique personality right there.

about the pajamas hmm. I see nothing wrong.. 'cause I don't understand the fashion design world. it's just a unique pajama to wear at night XD
Feb 15, 2020 10:39 AM

May 2018
HOOfan_1 said:

Well,in reality, most models don't get paid unless their agency gets a gig for them, so in certain cases models do have to find other jobs in order to support themselves.

https://listverse.com/2018/03/28/10-facts-about-the-ugly-side-of-the-modeling-industry/
Feb 15, 2020 10:55 AM

May 2018
Man that Kaoru pisses me off how dare she belittles the headmaster of Geika fashion School , Youko Takaoka, for not being that qualified to judge.....

Chiyuki has a lotta praises for Ikuto, but for her to consider Ikuto as her Rival was a stabbed on the back, when it has he who made her that popular in social media...

well it looks like Ikuto made it as one of the top 3, but wtf 1st Tou belittles him and then he wants him to join his start up fashion venture?????

Feb 15, 2020 4:08 PM

Apr 2012
Yo, Ikuto selling his soul to the devil. Watch him never escape.
Feb 15, 2020 4:54 PM

Feb 2019
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
HOOfan_1 said:

Well,in reality, most models don't get paid unless their agency gets a gig for them, so in certain cases models do have to find other jobs in order to support themselves.

https://listverse.com/2018/03/28/10-facts-about-the-ugly-side-of-the-modeling-industry/

This show was indicating the agency doesn't get gigs for them though....
Feb 15, 2020 8:23 PM
Jan 2017
Smile Down the Runway reaches the halfway mark with yet another fine episode! I'm really liking the way the main characters evolve in this episode, with Chiyuki even commenting on how different her way of doing things is from Ikuto's, yet at the same time, they can relate to each other. Chiyuki pulls out all the stops in order to find work, while Ikuto gets a tough lesson on needing to stop holding himself back if he has a dream to pursue. Ikuto's reaction is actually quite understandable, he comes from a poor family, and as the first-born son, he feels that he should provide to his family. I'm sure a lot of people will relate to that kind of struggle.

This episode also sets up a way to converge the stories of multiple characters. While we miss out on a meeting between Chiyuki and Niinuma due to an unexpected development, the meeting between Chiyuki and Kokoro will likely cause tension between them, and it's likely that their connection with Ikuto will factor in that tension. All in all, this was a great episode and I'm looking forward to see what happens next.
Feb 15, 2020 11:07 PM

Mar 2019
Ahh Yes, here comes the love triangle or is it a square by the look of that sasuke lookin dude
Feb 16, 2020 6:59 AM
ギャンブルビイ

Sep 2018
the idea of designing a pyjama, because "a girl wants to look stylish everywhere" is cool for sure, but that doesn't change the fact that that was a really fucking ugly pyjama that should not have made top 3 lmao

one of the things that bothers me the most about this anime is the fact Ikuto is supposed to be a "talented designer" but all his clothes look like they were designed by a 6-year-old
Feb 16, 2020 1:39 PM

Dec 2016
Otorez said:

I follow a few actress on instagram like Chloe Bennet and Brie Larson and they sometimes posing in their pyjamas and One-Piece Pajamas.
but they should update his creation and make One-Piece Pajamas because these are now more popular.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.106/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.185/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.104/? - weekly) | Machi and Oboro (Ch.13/? - biweekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.76/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Feb 16, 2020 1:50 PM

Dec 2016
I want to see Chiyuki in more outfits like they showed in the photoshoot please.

What's the difference?
Feb 16, 2020 2:54 PM

Jan 2016
Oh no this is bad, I ship Chiyuki and Ikuto way too much!
Feb 16, 2020 3:26 PM

Nov 2013
on one side, ofc Ikuto wants to save the money if possible, but on the other side, the other guy was right to say "your personal problems can't affect the client", even if it is ok on this case since it's just a "contest", it shouldn't happen when working for real lol

"we wanted to see if you kept believing in your design, despite the harsh critiques we did" ... shit, this is why i never know what to believe LOL

also, damn, as always, a lot of effort is needed when trying to find a job, good that Chiyuki keeps trying without ever giving up, she already knows how to impress people with her words and pictures

anyway, a nice little interaction between the 2 mains at the start, and as usual, whatever Chiyuki says, ends up helping Ikuto (it was the reason he kept believing the design) ... are they the best "couple" of this season?

for some reason i can't seem to think that Kokoro is as pretty as everyone says... sure she looks nice but...being the top star of the show, and leaving everyone in awe? i don't know, probably just me, but that last shot looked pretty meh lol

JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Man that Kaoru pisses me off how dare she belittles the headmaster of Geika fashion School , Youko Takaoka, for not being that qualified to judge.....

i thought she was talking about the other students, as some of the judges were random students, including Ikuto, who is probably younger and less experienced than her
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Feb 16, 2020 3:31 PM

Jul 2017
Ikuto faces the 1st Round of the design challenge, and the challenge couldn't be farther from the truth: evaluating other's works to the harshest degree. And I'd agree that the idea of using pajamas wasn't the most fitting clothing, but even at personal reasons to limit budget, it's not the most optimistic against the reasons of fashion models who want to look the best for their time on the runway. On the other side of the coin, Ikuto, more than putting his family finances first, needs help with maintaining his potential, and the son of the design school, Toh, gives him an opportunity to draw more out of him.

For Chiyuki, the dream to be on Paris Fashion Week is still aways to go. But with the proper steps within her dad's company, she's earning more credibility...that is until the journalist Niinuma caught onto her, but when others follow up, it's the same criticism unless she convinces hard, and it's always last-minute luck that got her. And to pair with the model that Ikuto saw potential in, time's surely running fast with anticipation.

Good episode, and an entertaining one at that. Failure is the mother of success, and both characters excel at that in style and critique.
KANLen09Feb 16, 2020 3:36 PM
Feb 17, 2020 12:20 PM

Feb 2008
Did Ikuto sign a pact with the devil? Not that Chiyuki is in a more favourable position, though.
Feb 17, 2020 2:55 PM

Nov 2015
bruuuh, Chiyuki is a million times cuter and hotter than all those other models, yet they treat her like some dirt, fucking bitches
Feb 17, 2020 7:29 PM

Jul 2016
Not gonna lie, Ikuto's design looks... quite ugly but since the other ones looked mostly the same in terms of style and color palette, I can say his theme was at least original and somewhat refreshing too.

Nice episode overall. A lot of things happened for both Ikuto and Chiyuki but I'm glad things seem to go well for them. At first glance, at least.
Ikuto managed to be in the Top 3 with his risky design and it also seems he will start working with Toh, which might help him a lot economically speaking. Some part of me still thinks he has sold his soul to the devil tho.

And as for Toh, he was indeed kinda harsh with Ikuto about not using all the budget and he had a point to some extent but honestly, I couldn't take his words seriously when they come from someone who clearly isn't raising three younger sisters by himself. Sometimes you can't really give everything when you're not the only one who would suffer the backlash if things don't work out.
Feb 20, 2020 7:46 PM

Dec 2016
OMG! poor of those classmates who went to the other room to change their designs base on the judges' comments.

Personally, I didn't like Ikuto's pajamas design, but maybe if I get to see it at a real scale, I could change my mind about it… ㄟ( ▔, ▔ )ㄏ

And although I understand that your personal life shouldn't affect your work and therefore, the client. I still feel that Too was quite harsh with Ikuto…
Feb 21, 2020 4:27 PM

Feb 2018
Sad Ikuto just 3rd place xD.
Feb 23, 2020 1:23 PM
Aug 2017
They just pulled a chunin exams on us. Wow, kinda disappointed tbh
Feb 28, 2020 2:16 PM

May 2015
AWWWW!!!!!! The look on her face when she said it was made by a friend was THE BEST!!!! God she totally likes him. The same with Ikuto. I really wanna see these get together. They're so good for eachother.

Looks like that manager is gonna be the big bitch of this arc.

I reallly hope we get less shitting on the main characters for drama. I hope we get a turn around kind of like Shield Hero where we see their hard work getting rewarded. Ikuto is building allies so hopefully towards the end of the series we'll see less people trying to kick them down.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 28, 2020 4:03 PM

Nov 2008
They seriously overhyped the suspence for his design reveal, and wasn't very special.

Overall this episode just felt like they where knocking everyone back down to earth. Hope they make up for it.
Mar 7, 2020 7:56 PM

Feb 2019
Finally, some focus on Chiyuki! Been waiting for it.
Mar 10, 2020 6:58 PM

Jun 2014
Ikuto got a rude awakening when Ayano told him that he couldn't skimp on the budget when designing, even if Ikuto had one of the best reasons in the world for doing so.

Apr 8, 2020 5:38 PM

Aug 2017
Seiya said:
Ikuto got a rude awakening when Ayano told him that he couldn't skimp on the budget when designing, even if Ikuto had one of the best reasons in the world for doing so.

Ayano was right. Ikuto half assing it.

Chiyuki is too short. Runway model is hopeless goal.
Apr 8, 2020 5:57 PM

Jun 2014
TrumpMD said:
Seiya said:

Ayano was right. Ikuto half assing it.

Chiyuki is too short. Runway model is hopeless goal.

You're way too pessimistic.

The impossible can be made possible. You simply have to work harder to change the status quo.

Apr 14, 2020 3:57 PM

Apr 2016
A fashion contest! Lol Ikuto's submission.. pajamas. I'd say it's pretty impressive that he took third with how unorthodox his design was.

Poor Chiyuki is still being looked down on cause of her height. I guess that's to be expected considering her line of work.
Apr 26, 2020 7:49 AM

Mar 2013
God, those pajamas were lame. Not cute, not elegant, not interesting, just lame. The idea of doing pajamas in the first place was the only interesting aspect there, the actual design was just... beh.
90s J-rock was our aesthetic peak.
Jun 13, 2020 6:27 AM

May 2013
I liked the pajamas concept. Iku needs to be able to sell his design better. He could've described the appeal of it being stylish with the use of bright colorblock. Confidence is key.

When you're applying to modeling gigs, you submit a "pitch" to the client to try to convince them on why they should hire you. Petite models like me and Chiyuki get rejected half the time, but it's not all bad esp if your look is desirable. Her pitch are all things I lay out to convince my potential clients as well. She's right about the disadvantage of modeling in groups, however there are exceptions when brands are looking for diversity and are wanting to appeal to all body types bc the general audience they're trying to sell to won't have model proportions and brands know this.

When I model with tall models, they typically have one of us sitting while the other is standing that way the height gap won't be evident and make the image awkward (:

Comp cards are basically business cards for models. It's a mini portfolio on-the-go used to advertise yourself and it also has v important info on it, like name, business email, contact number, sizes, look description, etc.

Omg so true about the shoot fits lmfaoooo. Aspiring models need to be aware that they will be BROKE buying outfits, makeup, accessories, and props. But! I have to say, one of my specialties is styling and it's one of the fun parts of modeling where I get to have fun with my control of fashion ^-^
Jun 28, 2020 2:46 AM

Jul 2015
Ayano was a bit harsh there, probably in his plan to recruit Ikuto. But I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with those pajamas, expected something cool like the design of Kaoru.
Damn I feel bad for Chiyuki being treated like a tool by Akasaka and that manager just because she is short

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

65 by phantom346 »»
Feb 13, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

93 by degenerate-2002 »»
Sep 16, 2023 2:48 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

46 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 6, 2023 8:06 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2020

45 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 6, 2023 6:38 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2020

42 by 1Konochi »»
May 30, 2023 3:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.