Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2020 2:12 PM

Dec 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episodes 3-6 were streamed on Amazon Prime Video in Japan on January 12

here we go again with another episode raising more questions. this time there's no mission or case going on, just internal company drama, little backstory about Hayashi's and Satoru's relationship and exploring other abilities of the crushers. in particular, this time we find out about human pigeons and company's policy of keeping an eye after its pets

the confusing part that got me thinking was Katsuragi being crushed in the end scene. was the doll part a recollection of his past trauma? i just can't figure out how much do these people know about each other to exploit their mountains or whatever it's called...

there's also something going on between Tsukasa and Hayashi with Tsukasa saying that "he knows him well" and the final scene confirms it

Jan 21, 2020 12:14 PM

Sep 2017
It's getting more interesting. I think I'm slowly gaining an understanding of what sort of an idea of the mind this show has. It seems to be all about the boundary (valley) and the co-constitutive relation (hill) between the self and the others.
Jan 25, 2020 11:56 PM

Sep 2016
This episode is definitely a turning point for me to realize that I may become a huge fan of this show, I've already decided to complete it instead of dropping it after watching ep#2 tho.

We got to see what a jerk Katsuragi is when he's messing up with ppl's mind to an extent that he doesn't mind crushing their best memories. Whereas, his sad past was also revealed in the same episode.

Tsukasa showing more of his true color is super interesting & for sure a big plus for me.
Hayashi is the MVP here showing how skillful he is as a senior 'pet'.
It's amazing to see how the 2 talented parties confront each other by different mind tricks. Honestly I won't even mind if Tsukasa becomes the antagonist at the end of the series.
Tsukasa looking very excited to meet Hayashi is a great cliffhanger!
Jan 27, 2020 7:18 AM

Dec 2014
ok like...this keeps on getting weirder...hmmm
Jan 27, 2020 7:46 AM

Mar 2016
Tsukasa is too calm and intelligent.

Hiroki and Satoru are really cute. I love what Satoru did this episode. He seems like such a good kid, but even he can get rebellious!

We learnt a little more about the organisation. Based on the fact that they are scared of the "crushers", I am guessing they're powerless.

Hayashi is just too brilliant! I really don't want him to go against Tsukasa. I am worried Hayashi might lose.

Katsuragi is awful! He just crushed such a sweet old lady. Despite that, I still feel bad for what happened to him when he was a kid. No one deserves to go through something like that.
Jan 27, 2020 7:49 AM

Nov 2019
They've killed or crushed all of Satoru's close relatives to get him into their custody..

That's fucked up..

uninstallthegame said:
the confusing part that got me thinking was Katsuragi being crushed in the end scene.

I don't think he crushed him.. He didn't exacerbate his valley or turn his peak into a nghtmare..

Hayashi is using him as a 'carrier pigeon'.
this_shit_againJan 27, 2020 7:53 AM
Jan 27, 2020 8:06 AM
Jul 2018
Best episode so far by far lol
Jan 27, 2020 8:08 AM
May 2017
A great episode otherwise but Hiroki is still kind of annoying. I wonder what's Gsukasa's gonna do to Hayashi
Jan 27, 2020 9:37 AM
Jul 2018
So Hiroki and Saturou are 'pets' of Tsukasa and Hayashi respectively. Wonder if Hayashi was the one who shared his peak with Tsukasa. Loved how Tsukasa showed Katsuragi his place. He's an interesting character. His manipulation of Hiroki is suspect.
Jan 27, 2020 9:47 AM

Oct 2017
I think this episode is the least "confusing" of all so far.
I really liked it. Hiroki is such a baby but I totally get why.
Satoru best boy of the show clearly!
Katsuragi continues being Katsuragi. I loved the whole exchange of him and Tsukasa, it was brilliant.
Hayashi is also pretty good and I can't wait to see what happens with him and Tsukasa next episode. From what I got, Hayashi also gave Tsukasa his peak as well as Satoru. We'll see!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2020 10:06 AM

Jun 2009
This anime is so underrated, it's sad, but I guess it's not for everyone. Most people like to watch shows which are easy to understand, less mind boggling than Pet. I just love all the shows Twin Engine produce, can't wait for their next lineup announcement if they will have any.
Jan 27, 2020 11:59 AM
May 2019
This anime is criminally underrated. Another awesome episode.
Tsukasa is a true Puppet Master XD
Jan 27, 2020 2:39 PM

Apr 2012
Huh, so there -is- a reason Hiroki acts the way he does; a "pet" get restless when they're apart from the one who gave them their peak, and also in Hiroki's case his abilities are getting stronger and that's making him even more emotionally unstable. So, if Hayashi is indeed the one who also gave Tsukasa his peak then vanished for a couple years, then it's sorta understandable Tsukasa's two faced behavior (although the feeling I get from him is more that he's a obssesed psycho, but let's wait and see.)
Jan 27, 2020 4:28 PM

Oct 2016
Nothing much to add to all the things you guys said, I really can't see the opening with Tsukasa as a victim when he might be the villain tho xd, funny how Katsuragi isn't on it, maybe he isn't that important of a character, or he is just a really old fashion pet.

I am kind of curious about those chinese talking people, they seem to like Tsukasa a lot too lmao
Jan 27, 2020 11:04 PM

Nov 2019
I wanted Hayashi vs Tsukasa but it looks like it has been long over and Tsukasa already had Hayashi programmed before, not to mention how did Hayashi got into being monitored and probably imprisoned in that hotel too in the first place

Still a great episode regardless tho
Jan 27, 2020 11:19 PM

Apr 2009
Wow, Tsukasa did a quite 180°.

Jan 28, 2020 1:35 AM

Oct 2017
Tsukasa has some relation with Hayashi it seems. Maybe he was the one who shared his peak with Tsukasa.
Jan 28, 2020 2:09 AM

Jul 2016
operationvalkyri said:
So Hiroki and Saturou are 'pets' of Tsukasa and Hayashi respectively. Wonder if Hayashi was the one who shared his peak with Tsukasa. Loved how Tsukasa showed Katsuragi his place. He's an interesting character. His manipulation of Hiroki is suspect.

I am trying to work out what role Tsukasa plays and if we will see any higher ups in the company.
Jan 28, 2020 6:57 AM
Nov 2019
This anime deserves more love, it's a glorious puzzle. I'm so glad I picked it up.^^

Maybe we'll see a Satoru x Tsukasa face-off; after all, it seems Satoru is Hayashi's favourite... pupil? And Tsukasa must definitely feel jealous, judging by how elevated he appeared at his reunion with Hayashi. Also there might be a conflict over Hiroki, as Satoru treats him more honestly and respectfully and I'd like to believe Hiroki will eventually realize that.

I find it really interesting that the master-pupil bond seems so strong and adoring from the pupil's side (for obvious reasons) while allowing mistreatment from the master's side (neglect or downright manipulation or perhaps even abuse without even a hint of remorse).
Jan 28, 2020 8:08 AM

Nov 2019
Okay, that scene where Satoru sneaks in from the back all happy to see Hiroki again..

When he's the last person Hiroki wants to see right now..

.. was delicious drama.

Jan 28, 2020 11:23 AM

Sep 2017
Okay. This is really starting to get interesting now. Please more episodes like this.
Jan 28, 2020 12:11 PM

May 2018
I am so confused, what are they even trying to do right now?!?!?
Jan 28, 2020 2:02 PM
Aug 2018
I wonder if Tsukasa's trigger for his hypnosis is just acting erotic. I also realized that Hayashi realized the crushers were after him and that the new manager was a lookout when they killed the old building manager. During a conversation between the delivery man and the new manager, they mentioned the old manager died in an accident. @YggdraSEED

They spent the first 3 episodes mostly introducing the characters and the concepts. Hopefully they can make up for it with 13 episodes.
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
Jan 28, 2020 4:00 PM

Mar 2009
Really annoying how Amazon has no subtitles up for this episode.
Jan 28, 2020 9:36 PM

May 2017
Mormegil said:

IKR, still no subtitles as of now.
Jan 29, 2020 4:41 AM

May 2014
Honestly I was liking Satoru at first, and I don't hate him yet, his character is very interesting..But I think Satoru is climbing the ranks fast, he's not dense, he's very earnest and even cute! That blush when he was hanging out with Hiroki killed me

This anime has went beyond my expectations, coming here to see the discussions always enlightens me somehow. And damn, the OP/ED combo is killer.

Kinda feeling for Katsuragi too..

Jan 29, 2020 8:55 AM

Jul 2012
Alright I don't really understand the purpose of anything anymore. But I'm enjoying it, that's for sure.
Jan 30, 2020 9:51 AM

Jul 2017
Now that the premise and works of this series is concise, We're ready to set into more of Pet.

Katsuragi is definitely using his powers as a Crusher to hynoptise people of all kinds (and he doesn't give a heck care) with Tsukasa, and within, the young adopted Satoru and Hayashi, the latter being a Pet for years now ever since.

Looks like Katsuragi and his subordinates are after Hayashi, but with all the brainwashing going on, neither party still holds advantage. Same goes with Hiroki vying for Tsukasa's affection as his "pet", and Satoru doing the same for Hayashi, all for internal Company work.

The final scene where Hayashi brought Katsuragi into the "dream world" kinda is a doozy, but it seems to confirm something with the relations between him and Tsukasa. Likewise with the butterfly metaphor.

Will we see a showdown between Hayashi and Tsukasa?
Jan 30, 2020 1:51 PM
Dec 2019
I'm interested I guess, but I'm either too stupid or just not paying enough attention to this to understand everything that's going on and to gather the answers to all the fucking questions this anime presents.
Jan 31, 2020 12:39 AM

Mar 2010
Really amusing so far.

The thoughts that i have is that it seems like the "boss" glasses guy (Katsuragi) gets mind screwed a lot these days.. why do they still keep him in his position..? and why does Satoru have to follow him if Katsuragi gets screwed up by Hayashi and Tsukasa that easily..?

Guess we'll see.

Oh and.. the Doll scene out of context is so fabulously confusing :D Showed it to a friend and got a laugh out of it.
Jan 31, 2020 6:38 AM
Oct 2019
TheAmbassador said:
Best episode so far by far lol
Dont be such a sarcastic, please?
Jan 31, 2020 9:43 PM

Feb 2012
This show is twisted and I'm loving it. Really very creative and original concept. I've never seen a jedi mind tricks anime before.

They're not afraid to push the boundaries here. Nice breath of fresh air.
Feb 1, 2020 9:51 AM

Feb 2019
Once you get used to the show, it's amazing. The low MAL score is indicative of a lot of people just not paying attention while watching it. It's not a show that will spoon-feed you everything. You have to put the pieces together that it gives you. That, and maybe a lot of people aren't with the Yaoi vibes which I can respect, personally not a fan myself but the story and world are good enough to overlook it.
Feb 1, 2020 9:52 AM

Feb 2019
smoledman said:
Mormegil said:

IKR, still no subtitles as of now.

BRO, glad I'm not alone. I went to watch this the other day and they weren't up, luckily I can speak JP so not too much of an issue, but that's mad considering it had been out for 3 days at that point.
Feb 2, 2020 2:25 PM

Nov 2019

Now where did I see that peculiar looking butterfly before..

Satoru couldn't see it, but Hiroki and that little girl could..

I can think of three possible explanations..
  1. Satoru is leaking his peak and he's not aware.
  2. Hayashi is close by and only Hiroki and that girl have the level of sensitivity to pick up his 'signal'.
  3. The girl is reaching out to Hiroki, in which case she may be connected to Hayashi.
Feb 3, 2020 12:57 PM
Aug 2018
this_shit_again said:

Now where did I see that peculiar looking butterfly before..

Came here to say the same thing.

My theory:
That butterfly was seen in Hayashi peak. So it could be Hayashi keeping an eye out for Satoru, considering their close connection. (How the butterfly would actually materialize in the real world I'm not sure)
Hiroki is a prodigy and is more sensitive, so I would also think that's the reason he (also the girl) could see it.
Feb 4, 2020 7:34 AM

Mar 2009
With each episode, I hate Katsuragi more and more.
Feb 15, 2020 7:12 AM
Jul 2018
So Katsuragi was molested as a child... I feel bad for him now(

Also, what's with this girl? Is that a doll or a human being? I'm confused
Feb 17, 2020 7:05 PM

Jan 2015
I'm getting really confused, I guess I will read the manga after
and I hate how women are portrayed in this, I hope they change it as the story goes on
Feb 24, 2020 6:44 PM

Oct 2018
fight between telepaths , that something new for me...
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Feb 27, 2020 4:39 PM

Aug 2017
So, Katsuragi liked dolls and he was raped in his past but I don't feel sorry for him after changing Satoru's grandmother memory.

Pretty weird episode lol.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 5, 2020 10:32 AM
Apr 2020
thought about dropping it but nahhh its getting better now
Apr 25, 2020 8:16 AM

Jul 2015
Still a bit confused on why power users and their "pets" are so attached to each other, like why Hayashi does all those things to get Satoru

Even though Katsuragi is one hell of an asshole, he has one fucked up past there

By the looks of it, Tsukasa is relatd to Hayashi in some way

May 1, 2020 2:30 AM

Aug 2015
Tsukasa reprimanding Katsuragi was brutal. I'm really enjoying Tsukasa's real personality. Seeing him manipulate others is fun.
Oct 2, 2021 3:07 AM

Mar 2018
This episode is annoying as hell

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pet Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ashhk - Mar 30, 2020

87 by SybilJesso »»
Oct 10, 1:17 AM

Poll: » Pet Episode 10 Discussion

Ashhk - Mar 9, 2020

36 by JeanFranciss »»
Feb 18, 9:39 AM

Poll: » Pet Episode 8 Discussion

Ashhk - Feb 24, 2020

37 by JeanFranciss »»
Feb 11, 8:26 AM

Poll: » Pet Episode 6 Discussion

uninstallthegame - Jan 18, 2020

43 by JeanFranciss »»
Feb 4, 9:31 AM

Poll: » Pet Episode 5 Discussion

uninstallthegame - Jan 18, 2020

45 by Roch2001 »»
Nov 25, 2023 4:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.