Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 4, 2019 5:53 PM
Jul 2018
Flip Flappers is so damn creative and interesting and with each wacky episodic idea they were to pull it together into a satisfying whole. The Ending animation is insanely good, and I can’t really come up with any negatives for Flip Flappers. Why do you guys think the score is below 8, I think it deserves much better.

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
LoveLikeBloodApr 5, 2019 4:59 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 4, 2019 5:57 PM

Jan 2018
I usually don't take the score very seriously, and especially if the anime has less than 100,000 overall completions. From the 53,000 completions of the series you mentioned, 60% of people consider it to be an 8 or higher, which is still pretty damn good. Even all the top reviews praise it. I haven't seen the series, but this is all just based off the stats.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Apr 4, 2019 6:02 PM
Jul 2018
is the same amount of weighting for the overall score given to drops or people that put the show on hold? I still think the rating is pretty dam low, since most things on Mal have a 7 rating, and if it’s below that you’d think it’s most likely trash.
Apr 4, 2019 6:13 PM

Jan 2018
scottpilgrim10 said:
is the same amount of weighting for the overall score given to drops or people that put the show on hold? I still think the rating is pretty dam low, since most things on Mal have a 7 rating, and if it’s below that you’d think it’s most likely trash.

Yup, every rating out there factors in to the score.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges

Apr 4, 2019 6:16 PM
Jul 2018
Equally tho? It seems unfair if they didn’t at least finish it.
Apr 4, 2019 6:16 PM
May 2016
flip flappers does have a pretty dedicated cult following, but it's not widely popular i suppose. it's better than some anime that everyone's just completely forgotten about though
you shouldn't worry too much about the overall score
Apr 4, 2019 6:19 PM
Feb 2017
scottpilgrim10 said:

If you haven't seen at least 1/5th of a show it drops your rating.
Apr 4, 2019 6:20 PM

Jun 2015
Holy shit, has it really been almost 3 years since Flip Flappers was released? Time sure flies right by.

But anyhow, it had a much higher scoring when it was released. It was around something like 8.05 at the ending. I have no idea why it decreased so drastically.
Apr 4, 2019 6:34 PM
Jul 2018
Shiroanon said:
flip flappers does have a pretty dedicated cult following, but it's not widely popular i suppose. it's better than some anime that everyone's just completely forgotten about though
you shouldn't worry too much about the overall score

Yeah, it’s not completely slept on, but it’s so god damn cool ugh.
Apr 4, 2019 6:35 PM
Jul 2018
BlakexEkalb said:
scottpilgrim10 said:

Seems like an arbitrary line to draw, but thanks for informing me on it!
Apr 4, 2019 6:37 PM

Jan 2018
BlakexEkalb said:
scottpilgrim10 said:

I haven't heard of this before. Do you have a source for this information? (no I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious how you know that)

"
― Jorge Luis Borges

Apr 4, 2019 6:41 PM
Greyleaf said:
BlakexEkalb said:

I haven't heard of this before. Do you have a source for this information? (no I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious how you know that)

https://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=topanime
Apr 4, 2019 6:45 PM
Jul 2018
The show gives me the feel of Kyousou Giga which I liked so I'll probably watch this.
Apr 4, 2019 6:46 PM

Dec 2013
I personally didn't think it wrapped up as well as it could have. Some of the characters also weren't as developed much at all. On the upside I thought the visuals were super cool and the ending song is definitely one of my favorites. I rated it a 7, but I still consider myself a fan.

This is coming from someone who watched it subbed weekly and then bought the domestic bluray and rewatched it with the dub. I felt the same way about it after both watches. It was a fun ride, but definitely not as great as it could of been.
Apr 4, 2019 6:49 PM
Jan 2012
It's a magical girl show, which is a genre that doesn't exactly have a huge fanbase outside of Japan. Even in Japan, it's a genre whose main demographic are children and otaku, with some exceptions
Apr 4, 2019 6:58 PM
Jul 2018
HungryForQuality said:
The show gives me the feel of Kyousou Giga which I liked so I'll probably watch this.

Kyousou Giga is incredible too. The visuals, music, and character dynamics are 👌
Apr 4, 2019 7:01 PM
Jul 2018
LordAura said:
I personally didn't think it wrapped up as well as it could have. Some of the characters also weren't as developed much at all. On the upside I thought the visuals were super cool and the ending song is definitely one of my favorites. I rated it a 7, but I still consider myself a fan.

This is coming from someone who watched it subbed weekly and then bought the domestic bluray and rewatched it with the dub. I felt the same way about it after both watches. It was a fun ride, but definitely not as great as it could of been.

I’d disagree, but I’d don’t care enough to argue it. Did you get the standard license from Sentai or the deluxe version (if you’re from the US). I got the premium edition and the packaging and art book is dope
Apr 4, 2019 7:02 PM
Jul 2018
scottpilgrim10 said:
HungryForQuality said:

Kyousou Giga is incredible too. The visuals, music, and character dynamics are 👌

Yeah it was really good, a 7/10 for me. I wonder how this one would compare.
Apr 4, 2019 7:05 PM

Jan 2018
Mythologically said:
Greyleaf said:

https://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=topanime

Ahh, very interesting! Thank you for that information :)

"
― Jorge Luis Borges

Apr 4, 2019 7:07 PM

Dec 2013
scottpilgrim10 said:
LordAura said:

I’d disagree, but I’d don’t care enough to argue it. Did you get the standard license from Sentai or the deluxe version (if you’re from the US). I got the premium edition and the packaging and art book is dope
I got the deluxe and it is really nice. All of the Sentai Premium stuff I own is really nice. I agree on the argument side of things since we both liked the show. No real point.
Apr 4, 2019 7:13 PM
Jul 2018
Asaid1045 said:
It has a decent rating lol, whats the problem

Because most things on MAL have a 7 average, and Flip Flappers is better than a lot of them (in my opinion, it’s relative but still Flip Flappers deserves better).
Apr 4, 2019 7:14 PM
Jul 2018
HungryForQuality said:
scottpilgrim10 said:

Yeah it was really good, a 7/10 for me. I wonder how this one would compare.

I think they’re on a similar level.
Apr 4, 2019 7:16 PM
Jul 2018
LordAura said:
scottpilgrim10 said:

I got the deluxe and it is really nice. All of the Sentai Premium stuff I own is really nice. I agree on the argument side of things since we both liked the show. No real point.

Rad, I agree with you and am continuing this sentence to hit the character count.
Apr 4, 2019 7:47 PM

Dec 2008
I don't usually give a flying fuck about ratings-I'll just try an episode or 2 of a series to see if I'll like it or not.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Apr 4, 2019 8:12 PM

Oct 2010
Because it looks like a lolicon yuri bait and it isn't that edgy like madoka. It's a nice show and very entertaining, the final boss and the past flashbacks were cool.
Apr 4, 2019 8:40 PM

Jun 2015
It's a very good show, don't get me wrong, but there's much that could've been improved. The whole "pure illusion" thing is never really explained, same with the secret organization and the twins. Its all left vague. But the worst part are the characters: most lack a backstory, clear motivations and development throughout (Hidaka, Sayuri, the twins, Nyunyu).

There's also, in my opinion, too much of a clash of styles. Sometimes the show's laid back and artsy, with the girls enjoying their adventure and cooperating with the other kids, while other times they're fighting to the death like some sort of battle royale. I think it'd have been better to just stick to the cute adventure style from episode one (or from the ED, which is awesome) all the way through.

It's an 8/10 for me, btw.
AnotherGuyApr 4, 2019 8:43 PM
Apr 5, 2019 1:49 AM
Jul 2018
Creators admitted that they used most of their creativity in animation in the first half. Second half was not as frantic and they had to recycle stuff.
Also the little girl in the end dressing like that would be off putting to many.
I liked the series overall, having seen both dub and sub, but I too think it should have writing like Madoka to be as good. Also the third Madoka movie had even more amazing transformation scenes

scottpilgrim10 said:

Deluxe version with artbook is also available in Europe. It is the Sentai verdion but distributor is from UK ( love anime or something).
Apr 5, 2019 3:31 AM

Sep 2017
Personally I like Flip Flippers because I'm kind of a sakuga-person. But I understand why it's unpopular. Because if you want a good story and FLFL just can't give you one.
Apr 5, 2019 4:58 AM

Jul 2014
Thread moved from Anime Discussion and Locked

If you want to discuss whether or not you feel certain shows are underrated, this is the thread to do it in.
Take care of yourself

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2016

191 by Touka »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2016

213 by Puncheon »»
Sep 11, 2:44 AM

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

3 by Bastodon »»
May 21, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

142 by Touka »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.