Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 26, 2017 7:14 AM

Nov 2015
Sunshine is 100% better than school Idol Project and that Nico thing
Hyped as hell *-* can't wait
Excited to see the season 1 OP song in an action!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 26, 2017 7:36 AM

Oct 2010
As much as I like Nico, I agree that Sunshine is better overall. I like the cast and the music more. I also like Dia a bit more than I like Nico too.
Feb 26, 2017 7:44 AM

Mar 2008
That's like, a horrible opinion, and you should feel ruby nicozurabad harasho datenshi nii.
Feb 26, 2017 7:45 AM

Apr 2013
What? Hell no. Stop it.
Feb 26, 2017 7:48 AM

Nov 2008
Nou-Tan said:
Sunshine is 100% better than school Idol Project and that Nico thing
Hyped as hell *-* can't wait
Excited to see the season 1 OP song in an action!

Not really, the performance look better and the music is still good, but Muse has the better characters (there's no substitute for Umi, she's just too perfect), I also don't like Dia that much for example.

Feb 26, 2017 7:54 AM

Jun 2012
I agree, while i really like Hanayo, Honoka, Niko, Rin and Umi, i overall liked new cast better, Saint Snow was awesome too, it was also pretty cool, that Aqours started as u's rip-off, and entire first season showed, that you won't get anything by copying your idol, and you should find your own style.
Feb 26, 2017 7:55 AM
Jul 2018
The original had better direction overall however sunshine had less forced drama and thus, more bearable. Let's see how the 2nd season holds up.
Feb 26, 2017 8:03 AM

Apr 2013
Sunshine is a discount version of the first series at best. Just about anything you can get from Sunshine is something the first series did, far better at that.

You'd be hard pressed to even say the characters are different, as most of them are pretty much blatant rehashes of the original's. If it wasn't for Yohane, you wouldn't have much of anything original in that department.

I just don't understand.
Feb 26, 2017 8:10 AM
Jul 2018
SJ7izm said:
Sunshine is a discount version of the first series at best. Just about anything you can get from Sunshine is something the first series did, far better at that.

You'd be hard pressed to even say the characters are different, as most of them are pretty much blatant rehashes of the original's. If it wasn't for Yohane, you wouldn't have much of anything original in that department.

I just don't understand.

I thought the whole point of Aquours was that it tried too much to emulate Muse's team which backfired badly when they kept wondering why they couldn't become as popular as them in the first place? At least the first season tried to establish how the characters would play out, albeit they really didn't take the time to make focus on a specific premise like the original did. If anything the 2nd season should kick-start Aquours to do their own thing if they ever manage to do so.
Feb 26, 2017 8:11 AM

Nov 2013
Wtf... for real?
Aqours has the most retarded characters, especially Chika. The songs are ok.
u's has Nico and that's all an anime needs to be an utter success, right?
Feb 26, 2017 8:17 AM

Apr 2013
BurningbladeEX said:

I thought the whole point of Aquours was that it tried too much to emulate Muse's team which backfired badly when they kept wondering why they couldn't become as popular as them in the first place? At least the first season tried to establish how the characters would play out, albeit they really didn't take the time to make focus on a specific premise like the original did. If anything the 2nd season should kick-start Aquours to do their own thing if they ever manage to do so.

Hopefully that's exactly what they do. I'm good on the parallels.

Camilo_x3 said:

u's has Nico and that's all an anime needs to be an utter success, right?

Someone that understands.
Feb 26, 2017 8:27 AM

May 2010
I like Sunshine more but Nico doesn't deserve this slander
Feb 26, 2017 8:28 AM

Oct 2013
I like both groups and series' the same. Nico is great, and so are the rest of the characters.
Feb 26, 2017 9:07 AM
Nov 2013
I like both. I'd probably say S1 of Sunshine!! was better than S1 of the original. However, I still think S2 of the original is the gold standard as far as Love Live! goes. We'll see if S2 of Aqours can match up.
Feb 26, 2017 9:18 AM

Jun 2016
Sunshine's cast may be similar to original's, but I think that Aqours are executing their roles better. Has more potential than the original, so far. Really excited for the second season.
Feb 26, 2017 9:19 AM
Mar 2015
It is sad people comparing the two. I mean neither of the two want to be compare to the another. They created aqours so that they can continue what muse' left since its members have now their own career. The sole purpose of the two is to make us happy not to decide which is better.
Feb 26, 2017 10:00 AM

Apr 2016
I haven't watched Sunshine yet, though from what I've seen and heard from my sister about Sunshine, I'd say the original was/is probably better. :P
I could be wrong though, but from what little I've seen thus far I'd say Sunshine isn't that great and that in all points.
The dearer you hold a memory the more painful it becomes.

Feb 26, 2017 10:41 AM

Jul 2015
I agree with you, LLS is much better than LL S1 though that's because I prefer the characters, music, setting, character designs etc from LLS.
Feb 26, 2017 11:16 AM
May 2016
Usagi said:
As much as I like Nico, I agree that Sunshine is better overall. I like the cast and the music more. I also like Dia a bit more than I like Nico too.

Exact same opinion
Feb 26, 2017 11:30 AM

Jun 2011
I have to agree, even though u's holds a special place in my heart I think Sunshine did better in making me like all the characters, even my boyfriend whom I've forced to watch Love Live with, couldn't get into the u's girls as much as he did with the Aquors girls.

As for the songs, while I do think u's has slightly more better songs that I like a lot, Aquors has probably the best Love Live song I have ever heard which was definitely Daydream Warrior. Also, the sub-units are amazing, I have to say I love all of them, especially, Azalea and Guilty Kiss, I even bought the CDs on Mandarake! I never buy CDs!

Rayn3698Feb 26, 2017 11:38 AM
Feb 26, 2017 1:29 PM
Apr 2013
SJ7izm said:

I just don't understand.

I totaly get you man. Whole sunshine feels like horrible fanfiction. And that ending haunts me every night.
Feb 26, 2017 2:17 PM

Jan 2013
If anyone says that Nico fans aren't immature, just link them to this thread.

EDIT: People who says that Aqours music is inferior are simply lying to themselves.
Feb 26, 2017 3:08 PM

Sep 2016
Aquors voice and songs are much, much superior than muse
there isn't really any plague voice like nico, kotori and nozomi
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Feb 26, 2017 3:24 PM

Mar 2016
I agree with a few other people who've already posted: S2 of LL might have been better than S1 of LLS, but S1 of LLS was MUCH better than S1 of LL. So it stands to reason that S2 might end up having LLS surpass the original.
Feb 26, 2017 6:12 PM
Dec 2015
Actually, at first, I thought Sunshine is a crappy series, guess what? I still think of that every now and then I see the series. It feels like a horrible fanfiction straight out of Wattpad, and you wouldn't like that.

Sunshine definitely had some potential to be better than LL, but, dang, they just recycled the same ol' characters with slight differences in their personality.

I'd rather think that LL is more superior than Sunshine, not because of Nico, (even though that's my favorite character, I don't want to bring up that character.) because Sunshine is just like a copycat with little differences.

Still, I'll try watching the 2nd season. Maybe it'll improve.

Oh, and Chika sucks as a main character

(my opinion is somewhat different than the others imo)
Feb 26, 2017 6:50 PM

Dec 2014
Sunshine improved a lot of things that the first LL season 1 made mistakes on. While I can get why people may not prefer LLS, it learned from its predecessor. LLS s1 is better than s2 or the movie in the original LL? No, but I have high hopes for s2.
Feb 27, 2017 8:33 AM
May 2016
The first season of LLS is nothing more than an attempt to capitalize on the original love live success. The majority of the characters in sunshine are recycled versions of u's characters, almost everything in the plot was copied from the original LL, and they kept making u's references during the whole season because they couldn't manage to be a standalone series.
Feb 27, 2017 12:13 PM
May 2011
I'm gonna fight y'all who say aqours is inferior to µ's

I'm a huge fangirl of µ's but aqours music is just miles better. Comparing the first few songs of aqours to the first few songs that aqours put out. Sure, the first season of LLSS wasn't as strong as S2 of LL, but it's definitely stronger than LL S1.

As for the clones, I'd say they didn't figure out their direction until midway into S1 (for LLSS, that is), so I fully expect them to move away from µ's as indicated by Chika taking down the poster of µ's - basically they will no longer be chasing the shadow of µ's and develop into their own.

Also, after hearing about Day 2 of the 1st Live.. Rikako learning piano in three months to play omoi yo hitotsu ni nare like in the anime.. and then having a panic attack on day 2 is just.. say what you will, but µ's never pulled out any instruments. the pressure on the aqours seiyuu must be enormous. comparing the 17k in attendance for LLSS 1st live to LL's first live of 1500...

PS, the singing ability of aqours is just better. You're objectively wrong. Yeah, mimorin and nanjolno are great vocalists, and rippi is a good singer too, but there are just too many many problematic voices in µ's compared to aqours.

PPS, we have literally the best trio ever, Guilty Kiss is godlike. rikyako+ainya+aikyan is legit on par with solge trio, probably even better since ainya's nasal voice isn't as bad as pile's nasally maki voice.

PPPS do not call me an aqours fangirl. I've been following Love Live since 2013, and am the biggest friggin mimorin fangirl, but I will 100% aqours is performing well above expectations.
Feb 27, 2017 12:43 PM

Feb 2014
Dia is a more cancerous version of Kotori's forced drama, but I love me some more yousoro~ Watanabe is way too good, was the only thing that made me enjoy LLS.

yea Nico doesn't deserve all that hate when at least half the cast acted like whiny bitches in LLS, and the blond's forced accent make s my ears bleed. Most of Aquors is weak, generic characters that can't carry the team lol. But I will say while Aquors has better songs overall and better singers, they still can't beat u's better songs (nothing can beat u's movie ed).

imo LLS started out as total shit, and only got better near the end when the whiny bitch stalemate ended (mirai Ticket is so good) while LL S1 started out really good but it got shit near the end with Kotori.

LLS ending was handled really well with that sellout reference lol but a lotta copy pasting and mashing of LL. It'll only get better tho in S2 I'm sure
GenocyberFeb 27, 2017 12:53 PM

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Feb 28, 2017 5:38 AM

Jan 2013
Terrible opinion seeing that the original setup the entire thing and had to go its course for these girls to emulate. You can't compare them at all.
Mar 3, 2017 2:10 AM
Dec 2016
so many butthurt muse purists here, jesus christ.. and before you call me some hippie that's just following aqours because they're the new fad, no, because I've been following muse since 2015, before aqours was even announced

I for one like the aqours music better. It has more variety, with EDM (Daydream Warrior) and I'm pretty sure Thrilling One Way's in a genre muse hasn't explored as well

Frankly chracter design goes to muse but I like aqours' character development better. Every sad scene tugged at my heartstrings even if just a little, but in muse it was pretty much just maki's, nico's and nozomi's back story. I especially like the third years' story. Just like Eli Nozo and Nico, the third years were school idols but they failed to rise to the top so they stopped. In this case, more about their failure was revealed compared to muse, where it was pretty much just nico being all melancholic about how she failed being a good leader

Also contrary to the widely popular opinion, I find Chika a better leader than Honoka. At least she isn't borderline stupid and lazy

Don't get me wrong, I love muse as well, and they still have a better place in ny heart in contrary to aqours, but it sickens me to see people hate on aqours just because theyre not muse
Mar 13, 2017 10:32 PM

Nov 2007
saccharin said:
I'm gonna fight y'all who say aqours is inferior to µ's

I'm a huge fangirl of µ's but aqours music is just miles better. Comparing the first few songs of aqours to the first few songs that aqours put out. Sure, the first season of LLSS wasn't as strong as S2 of LL, but it's definitely stronger than LL S1.

Aqours Season 1 only has higher sales than µ's Season 1, because it retained a portion of the already huge fanbase that supports µ's. It will be another story when we can eventually compare Sunshine 2nd Season with µ's 2nd Season. Right now, when we look at the CD sales of Aqours, they are nowhere near µ's level. However, as a huge Love Live! fan myself, I hope in the future that Aqours can become as big or even surpass µ's, because it is common in Japan for the successors to only be considered a success if they manage to match or surpass their predecessors. Perhaps this may happen when the Sunshine Movie comes out, because I think that's when μ's reached their peak in popularity.

saccharin said:

Also, after hearing about Day 2 of the 1st Live.. Rikako learning piano in three months to play omoi yo hitotsu ni nare like in the anime.. and then having a panic attack on day 2 is just.. say what you will, but µ's never pulled out any instruments. the pressure on the aqours seiyuu must be enormous. comparing the 17k in attendance for LLSS 1st live to LL's first live of 1500...

Aqours already had a lot of pressure right from their debut in 2015 because they are the successors of µ's. Don't forget that µ's started from literally nothing (their 1st single in 2010 only sold 434 copies!, while their highest selling CD is the μ's Best Album Best Live! Collection II in 2015 at 152,964 copies). As I said, Aqours has a huge potential fanbase they can tap into, who already supports μ's. It's only a matter of how many of the naysayers and those sitting on the fence, that they can convince to support them as well, but unfortunately some have already abandoned the ship as they were so disgruntled when μ's disbanded last year.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Mar 13, 2017 10:35 PM
Jul 2018
I don't agree with the Nico opinion, but I do agree Sunshine is better than the original.
Mar 15, 2017 4:59 PM
May 2011
livanoure said:
so many butthurt muse purists here, jesus christ.. and before you call me some hippie that's just following aqours because they're the new fad, no, because I've been following muse since 2015, before aqours was even announced

I for one like the aqours music better. It has more variety, with EDM (Daydream Warrior) and I'm pretty sure Thrilling One Way's in a genre muse hasn't explored as well

Frankly chracter design goes to muse but I like aqours' character development better. Every sad scene tugged at my heartstrings even if just a little, but in muse it was pretty much just maki's, nico's and nozomi's back story. I especially like the third years' story. Just like Eli Nozo and Nico, the third years were school idols but they failed to rise to the top so they stopped. In this case, more about their failure was revealed compared to muse, where it was pretty much just nico being all melancholic about how she failed being a good leader

Also contrary to the widely popular opinion, I find Chika a better leader than Honoka. At least she isn't borderline stupid and lazy

Don't get me wrong, I love muse as well, and they still have a better place in ny heart in contrary to aqours, but it sickens me to see people hate on aqours just because theyre not muse

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how lit Strawberry Trapper is? I went to a live viewing and oh my god "Yohane Shoukan" was probably the most lit thing I've seen in a concert in years.

Just, the variety of music that Aqours puts out is staggering. As an overall, Aqours has better singers too, with the exception of Suwawa who can't really hold a tune (rip)
Mar 23, 2017 12:53 PM

Jun 2016
I loved Nico. She was the reason I watched Love Live, but yes, Sunshine is so much better. Better songs, animation, and characters.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Mar 25, 2017 6:21 AM

Dec 2014
Well, if we wanna compare Project and Sunshine then we gotta compare each factor alone.

Animation : Sunshine's animation was better than Muse's 1st/2nd season (by a small margin) but not the movie, why is that? well, Sunshine was made in 2016, while the 1st/2nd season were made in 2013/2014 so it's expected. The movie's animation far exceeds both Sunshine and 1st/2nd seasons.

Characters : I personally think that 6 out of 9 characters from Sunshine are literally almost copy-paste from Muse. and whoever says otherwise might be watching a totally another series? am I right here? other than originality there were far more characters that pissed me off in Sunshine than in Muse.

Music : I'd say Aqours have like, 5 really really great songs and that's about it (Guilty Night, Guilty Kiss - Guilty Eyes Forever - Daydream Warriors - Sky Journey (the newest song)). While Muse got tons of really great songs, maybe because Muse has more songs in general? I personally don't think so.

Also Guilty Kiss does seem like a BiBi copy-pasta, but I'll have to say their songs are really great so I don't mind that. While the other 2 mini units (CYaRon and Azalea) stand no chance at all against Muse's other mini units (Printemps and Lily White).

Character Development and backstory : Every member of Muse had their own episode talking about their backstory and developed them somehow. Aqours on the other hand, only had episodes about Riko aaaaand.. well the episode about Mari and Kanan, I can't really say that's an episode because it made me cringe so bad.

Overall : First season of Muse was good, but it wasn't anything near 2nd season. which was the reason for muse's popularity I believe. For Sunshine's 1st season, I'd say it's a bit behind Muse's 1st season but I doubt the 2nd season would come anywhere close to Muse's 2nd season.

Last notes : About forced drama xDDD, well.. Muse did have a bit of forced drama here and there, but it never threw me off. As for Sunshine :/, I can't help but say there was so much forced drama it made me cringe.

And everyone has their opinion, so if your opinion is different than mine then I'll be happy that there's 1 less human in earth that's not like me, makes me feel a bit special :) kappa.
Kaori6Mar 25, 2017 6:25 AM
Apr 10, 2017 5:25 PM
Jan 2016
It is miles ahead of the LL SIP S1. You just CAN NOT judge this series if you are still biased to the first one. And I'm going to point everything here.

1) LL SIP had to pack SO MUCH STUFF in its first season, and they had obvious problems with the pacing, since they had to add character background and development, plot development, and it wasn't even enough because three of the nine characters had their episodes in the 2nd season, and one of the nine didn't even got an episode to explain about her, Umi. The drama with Kotori that came out of nowhere and no one knows why. Was there a point on having that? I'll be waiting here and see if anyone knows a reason that is shown in the series.

Sunshine on the other hand, understood the trainwreck that S1 finale was, and actually planned what they were going to do this time. No rush, no forced drama. You want to know what forced drama is? Look at SIP S1 finale. Where the hell did that Kotori scenario came from? In SS on the other hand, Riko's doubts, You's feelings and the third years problems were hinted and foreshadowed from start to finish, and you eventually knew they were going to be addressed. You wouldn't have seen so many people saying "Next episode should be about the backstory of the third years." and such. If you feel "cringe" towards it, then you couldn't be anymore biased. If you watch something with pink colored glasses, then you are gonna love it, if you watch something with hatred, then you are going to hate it, and that is just plain childish.

2) Everyone with a brain can notice and understand that Sunshine S1 is meant to be the series that makes Aqours crash into the wall and understand that they are DIFFERENT to Muse. Yes, you could argue Chika acted a lot like Honoka at the beginning, but guess what, she did because SHE WANTED TO BE LIKE HONOKA, HER IDOL. I could dream of being freaking Lionel Messi, yet I will never be him, sooner or later I will hit a wall that will show me that I'm not Messi and I should do things they way I only can do, thing that both Chika and Aqours as a whole does in episode 12, after hitting the wall in episode 8. You wonder why Chika was so excited when she heard their school would be closing down? Because it was the same scenario that Muse had, and she WANTED to live the same story as Muse, not Aqours' story, which was what made them crash against reality.

THE WHOLE S1 of SS is a season of Aqours taking the baton from Muse and moving on from them after noticing that they cannot be them. And is funny because the salty fans think exactly the opposite. Goes to show you how many people understood this season. This is a SET-UP season.

3) People comparing Muse's discography to Aqours' just make me laugh. Sure, let's compare a discography with 34 tracks to one of +100 tracks that people have fond memories of, sure. Go and check NHK's top 100 AniSong list. Muse has 7 songs in top 50, and 6 of them are from 2nd season and the movie, with the other one being their final single. Do you consider Bokutachi wa Hitotsu no Hikari, your feelings aside, above certain AniSong icons and other songs? Hell no, it clearly isn't. It has an inmense emotional value, no denying that, but is impossible that it beats things like Only my railgun or Cruel Angel Tesis, which are two of the most remembered and well known anime songs out there, but hey, is number 2 on that ranking. Now, are you going to tell me with a straight face that Bokura no LIVE Kimi to no LIFE makes it to the top 100 Anison? Clearly not, but its in position 96, why? Because people feel nostalgia for it being Muse's first single. Most people in the LL comunity dislike early releases like Baby Maybe or Yuujou no Change, etc.

4) The main plot hasn't even started. As I mentioned above, SS S1 is a set-up season, a season to establish characters and their background, where are they coming from, why was Aqours born, what do they want to achieve, all that stuff, and this is what you have to do when you are planning a long run series, or at least a series with more than one season. Look at Pokemon, you remember how it started? With an arc developing Ash's character, his motivations and his bond with Pikachu to later send him off to adventure. Why later? Because we now know who this guy is and we know what he wants and why he wants it, we know have a reason to follow him and feel excited, happy or sad for him. And that is the right way to do it. You CAN succeed without doing it, but is not the way it should be done. Now that S2 is coming for SS, they have room to fully explore and go all out with the plot and more character development because they won't have the pressure of packing a lot of things in just a span of 12-13 episodes-

People like to bash on Sunshine because "Oh, it wasn't going anywhere while SIP had the plot with the school." Well, yeah, because Sunshine's plot wasn't even planned to start in S1, get that fact in your head for all of you who think like that. What was it that SS S1 wanted to do? Character and group background.

5) Characters, oh boy. This is my favourite. "Oh! They are copies!" as if Muse character were the most original thing ever. Second, Aqours are obviously built as mirrors for their Muse counterparts. Why is that you ask? Because Aqours and SS are part of the franchise and project Love Live. Aqours are built to be successors, which is the thing that people can't seem to comprehend since they are so blinded with nostalgia that they see a 5 minute scene and say "Oh no! Get this carbon copies out of here!". Love Live is now a brand, and as a brand, you need brand continuity to ensure your profitability, so having similarities between casts is expected. You do so so people that were fans of Muse can also see some of them in the new cast and just don't forget them all alone, yet people ALWAYS want to see the negative side of it, no matter what. See Digimon, its main character is usually a guy with brown spiky hair and googles on his head who rushes at situations without thinking of consecuences. What does that? Help people identificate your brand.

If we had a completely different cast from Muse, then people would be saying "What the fuck is this? This isn't even Love Live anymore. You just got 9 girls that have nothing to do with Muse and put the name "Love Live" on them!". Then you get a cast that was directly influenced on them as fans just like you and me, and people still complain. Like when a new game from a well known IP is completely different to its predecessor, you see people getting mad and treating it as shit, well, same thing here, just that is bad if you do and bad if you don't.

Be serious with me, if you are a fan of Muse, and were given the opportunity to live a story where you form your idol club, wouldn't you want to do the exact same things Muse did and relive their story? Yeah, you probably will, anyone who liked Muse a lot probably would, and guess what, Chika is as well a fan of Muse.

YES, you will find similarities between Muse and Aqours. Similarities? Yes. Copies? No. Why? Because to be a copy you need it to be the exact same thing, and here goes.

-Honoka wanted to create the idol group to save the school.

-Chika wanted to create the idol group because she wanted to be like her idols.

-Honoka wanted to quit because she felt guilty of having the group being removed from competing in Love Live and not having listened to Kotori, not taking into consideration the rest of her teammates and how it would affect the group.

-Chika wanted to keep going because she felt guilty of the group's failure at Tokyo. Yet, she held her feelings so her group wouldn't have to see her breaking down and taking everyone down with her.

-Honoka is a more carefree leader type because the story allows it, Muse was a powerhouse from the beginning, their only true rival was A-RISE which was considered the Elite group, the top, the ceiling, which means they were paired with the best group of the business, and they ended up beating them at qualifiers in their own soil. Honoka runs to the front and the rest of Muse follow her, she is that kind of leader, the one whose actions make you want to support her and follow her.

-Chika is a more diligent leader because of the type of story that SS has. Notice how is different from SIP? That's because Aqours' aren't pioneers and aren't at the top level. Aqours' introduced rival group, Saint Snow, beat them by a landslide, and they weren't even the best group, that's going to show in scale how Aqours is positioned in the world of the School Idol bussiness after 6 years. If Chika acted just exactly like Honoka, Aqours' probably would have ended by now, especially having individuals like Dia in the group. Chika is that kind of leader, she thinks more in her friends than the destination, is the kind that moves along with her group.

And those are just a couple of points for one character, there are a lot more.

Trying to prove that SS was worse than SIP is just wasting time since SS didn't do everything that SIP did wrong. Granted, SS also has its errors (I think I'm just tired of getting ChikaRiko thrown at my face that I won't stand it anymore in S2), but it was actually better developed and made better than SIP S1. If you don't like it, that's FINE, you have your own opinion, but don't go saying "It's terrible, is a piece of crap." because you didn't like it or didn't understand it. Better orchestration, better writing, and if you want to add it, better animation and visuals. The development team has learned since the days of SIP and have improved, the fact that people don't want to acknowledge that because they are afraid of betraying the past and don't want to give credit to the team for getting better is just sad. Is like giving a gift to someone and then that someone just gives you the middle finger.

All that said, since both SIP S1 and SS S1 are different, you can not compare them on what they did or offered, but you do it on how they were made and handled, and SS takes the win because it just was better handled, its simple. People not liking it because its Aqours and not Muse will continue to exists, but hey, people not liking blue for not being red exists everywhere, doesn't it?
BluetearsXApr 10, 2017 5:37 PM
Apr 14, 2017 1:14 AM

May 2012
I think Love Live SIP is inherently the better told story. Sunshine uses so much of its formula, far beyond characters, dialogue, or music in order for it to feel connected there is no way to pull the two entirely apart. Which is definitely how it should feel for being in the same universe even if there are no returning characters from the original.

Its not entirely fair to compare the two either, with the original having nowhere near the planning or foresight that Sunshine had. Which makes stating that the original is a better piece of work stronger of a statement.

In terms of characters I really dont think one can argue very consistently in an unbiased form that Sunshine genuinely does have worse characters. Lets start off with the fact that every single character is a trope in both the original and Sunshine. This is because the episodes are only 22 minutes, they have 9 characters to develop for, and lets face it anime loves its cliche character archetypes. However, Aqours clearly has more elements of uniqueness with its characters then the girls of Muse.

I think Riko has the most depth of all the Love Live girls. Interestingly, I cant tell if this was on purpose. We have seen every spectrum she can offer as a character from what worry's her when she is alone to her private interests. She has a unique posture and mannerism portrayed throughout the show that adds to her character value in a real way as a person, rather then cheaply as is the case with Yohane dressed in her garb all the time, and You with her uniforms, to Nozomi and her cards and Maki sitting with her arms crossed or twirling her hair looking too bothered to be there because she is the rich tsundere girl archtype. Riko starts at the beginning with no self confidence and very little drive to do anything. She is very unsure. As the season progresses she becomes a member of Aqours and gets on the path of just hanging out to genuinely caring. As she settles into her new town with her new friends, she is finally presented with another chance at the piano competition to face her biggest internal struggle, one clearly built up throughout the season, but she turns it down because Aqours and specifically Chika are what is most important to her. However after Chika opens up and tells her to to the competition she does. She is selfless but she is willing to pursue her own goals. Returning from the competition Riko is invigorated and confident. Glowing. Riko grows as an individual and as a person in Love Live Sunshine. More so then any other girl in the series.

If we look at other characters in Love Live, who rivals Rikos climb? Nico has real development, but in the end she just decides to stop trying to hog the spotlight. Maki while a favorite, has almost none. Umi and Kotori are held back as characters to be Honokas care takers. Honokas personal drama is very uninteresting and not really powerful. Training while sick to botch the performance is not really very intriguing, shes just dumb. Her bounce back is not powerful because she did not fall far enough down, and when she returned it was just back to her previous self identical to before the accident. There is no change that carry's her forward. Chika decides to stop copying Muse, not really a big deal. You gets jealous of Riko, then realizes it was all a misunderstanding? Things return to normal the following episode. The Aqours 3rd year drama went for it, but the overall core of the drama, being that they faked being unable to perform to disband the group for Maris sake was not very compelling when you know they are going to return to the group. The drama also had no lasting impacts, Kanan and Mari had been friends before the drama, remained friends after. Hanamaru decides to leave the library... I could go on... I know that was ranty and disjointed, but you get the idea.

However, there are still redeeming quality's to almost all of these characters and I think Aqours is off to a really strong start for Muse having more then half the content of Sunshine.
Apr 14, 2017 1:38 AM

Mar 2016
Reikuo said:
I think Love Live SIP is inherently the better told story. Sunshine uses so much of its formula, far beyond characters, dialogue, or music in order for it to feel connected there is no way to pull the two entirely apart. Which is definitely how it should feel for being in the same universe even if there are no returning characters from the original.

Its not entirely fair to compare the two either, with the original having nowhere near the planning or foresight that Sunshine had. Which makes stating that the original is a better piece of work stronger of a statement.

In terms of characters I really dont think one can argue very consistently in an unbiased form that Sunshine genuinely does have worse characters. Lets start off with the fact that every single character is a trope in both the original and Sunshine. This is because the episodes are only 22 minutes, they have 9 characters to develop for, and lets face it anime loves its cliche character archetypes. However, Aqours clearly has more elements of uniqueness with its characters then the girls of Muse.

I think Riko has the most depth of all the Love Live girls. Interestingly, I cant tell if this was on purpose. We have seen every spectrum she can offer as a character from what worry's her when she is alone to her private interests. She has a unique posture and mannerism portrayed throughout the show that adds to her character value in a real way as a person, rather then cheaply as is the case with Yohane dressed in her garb all the time, and You with her uniforms, to Nozomi and her cards and Maki sitting with her arms crossed or twirling her hair looking too bothered to be there because she is the rich tsundere girl archtype. Riko starts at the beginning with no self confidence and very little drive to do anything. She is very unsure. As the season progresses she becomes a member of Aqours and gets on the path of just hanging out to genuinely caring. As she settles into her new town with her new friends, she is finally presented with another chance at the piano competition to face her biggest internal struggle, one clearly built up throughout the season, but she turns it down because Aqours and specifically Chika are what is most important to her. However after Chika opens up and tells her to to the competition she does. She is selfless but she is willing to pursue her own goals. Returning from the competition Riko is invigorated and confident. Glowing. Riko grows as an individual and as a person in Love Live Sunshine. More so then any other girl in the series.

If we look at other characters in Love Live, who rivals Rikos climb? Nico has real development, but in the end she just decides to stop trying to hog the spotlight. Maki while a favorite, has almost none. Umi and Kotori are held back as characters to be Honokas care takers. Honokas personal drama is very uninteresting and not really powerful. Training while sick to botch the performance is not really very intriguing, shes just dumb. Her bounce back is not powerful because she did not fall far enough down, and when she returned it was just back to her previous self identical to before the accident. There is no change that carry's her forward. Chika decides to stop copying Muse, not really a big deal. You gets jealous of Riko, then realizes it was all a misunderstanding? Things return to normal the following episode. The Aqours 3rd year drama went for it, but the overall core of the drama, being that they faked being unable to perform to disband the group for Maris sake was not very compelling when you know they are going to return to the group. The drama also had no lasting impacts, Kanan and Mari had been friends before the drama, remained friends after. Hanamaru decides to leave the library... I could go on... I know that was ranty and disjointed, but you get the idea.

However, there are still redeeming quality's to almost all of these characters and I think Aqours is off to a really strong start for Muse having more then half the content of Sunshine.

It's funny you ignored the most cancerous character in LLS , yoshiko who does nothing but spout chuuni stuff in background while contributing nothing after her centric episode. LLS characters aren't as unique as MUSE, and they don't have that great chemistry. Hanamaru falls into the backgrpund spouting mirai, zura, and eating after her centric episode. It's like they give them an episode, and then toss them aside which disrupts the group's chemistry, and Ruby's cutsey side is over-emphasized. Dia was developed as an main antagonist to the girls only to become a side character in the 3rd years' conflict saying "i just agreed with kanan" and she barely had any had in the resolution which made all her character fall flat and seem forced. I honestly like Honoka more than Chika though i still like chika don't get me wrong. I find hard to take this "honoka is her identical self". Honoka is the person who comes to great realizations in her group and is charismatic to the point girls recognize their as the unofficial leader; she's not dumb for doing certain mistakes any human can do and actually acknowledges them at the end. She realizes her flaws. Even when hanayo was hesitant to pursue her dream with idols, Honoka encouraged her telling her we all have our flaws, and that's why we work together . Chika comes to certain realizations, but they were too similar, and the realization of them having to be different came a bit too late (just a bit). She also didn't have it as hard as honoka at first. Riko is indeed a well developed character, and I like her a lot, but her development was so big i wished the other girls had a fraction if it. Also as a Riko fan, you sound quite biased yourself, but you have acknowledged that one can't argue without being biased.
Apr 14, 2017 3:57 AM

May 2012
The original was way better. The characters in original was way better, cute, and funnier. We don't have anything like Niko and Maki in sunshine.

Also, the story sunshine feels too similar to the original. They did not do anything new.

Apr 19, 2017 8:14 AM
Jan 2016
DragonSlayer_19 said:
LLS characters aren't as unique as MUSE, and they don't have that great chemistry.

For uniqueness, they have, for chemistry, they don't.

I feel that the reason of that is the massive focus on ChikaRiko throughout the season. Even though I think SS was made better than SIP, I was constantly rolling my eyes whenever we he had a Chika and Riko scene after the season was halfway done. In my eyes, all these nine characters are capable of soooooooo many things, yet, as you said, were mostly tossed aside, in my opinion, for the sake of more Chika and Riko.

Being a You fan, I was super pissed at episode 11 because it made her look dumb, but especially because Chika suddenly had 180° character change??? You were so worried and caring of Riko last episode, why are you acting like the typical clueless and dense harem protagonist now??? Can't you see the face of helplessness of your supposedly best friend? If You is not that important to Chika, then why keep her character tied from progression? I think You could shine so much more if she wasn't being tossed to the side or being held by the concept of loyal "best friend". I felt as if episode 11 was wrote by an entirely different person with little to no grasp of Chika and even Riko's characters and recent development. And Riko appears on the phone as well basically as a proxy and narrator of a last minute trick to fix it all in one episode. Not only that, a "supposed" Chika and You song, is at the end a Chika and Riko song, since the lyrics of Omoi yo Hitotsu ni Nare talk about being connected even if they are in different places.

If only, it had a bit of build up from Chika's side at least instead of focusing only on You's angst, that last scene before the performance would have been really nice, but she just popped there. You ends up feeling guilty of something that also has fault on Chika, yet this one uses her protagonist powers and escapes with no harm whatsoever, rushing at the last minute to save the damsel in distress. Again, what is the point of having a character that acts as the loyal companion and makes sacrifices for her friend, if she ultimately will get shoved to the side? Untie her or make the three come to a solution, not talking through a phone and saying "Hey, she told me this." but actually talking to one another, clear the misunderstanding or something.

I mean, Chika was definitely a core element throughout episodes 8-10, she was doing so well, and then episode 11 arrives and is like Chika reverted herself to that of the second and third episode, then episode 12 comes, and again, turns back to being the Chika of episode's 8-10. Even You, that half-ass conclusion and in the next episode she's cuddling with Riko on the train, huh? I wasn't really a fan of that and I hope they don't magically start getting along when the second season starts, I want to see actual bonds being forged instead of seeing two individuals being tied by one.

Sunshine spent too much time focusing on the two of them and almost ignored the rest of the cast. Hanamaru and Ruby joined, toss them aside. Yoshiko joined, toss her aside. The third years joined, toss them aside, You was feeling bad, do a quick fix at the end of the episode and go back to ignore her.

Though it kinda makes sense, since you don't usually start to talk with everyone even in the same club if you were recently transfered to a certain school, and you don't casually talk with other year's students if you don't know them very well. You would talk with the first person that offers you a hand, and that is Chika to Riko, but this isn't real life, this is an anime series about nine girls. If it was only a romance anime ala Sakura Trick, then go for it and have as much fun as you want, but this isn't.

I'm hoping S2 really kicks off well and starts to develop these characters now that they have a background to work with and reduces the massive ChikaRiko focus it had. I also want to see Riko interact with Kanan, you know, Sunrise? Or with the Kurosawa siblings, maybe You talk with Kanan about her feelings and getting advice from her to actually solve the issue (Which I REALLY hope they do 'cuz I don't want to accept episode 11 as an actual conclussion to that, but unfortunately it may be).

I still stand on my point, SS S1 was better made than SIP S1. But I just want Aqours to stop being Chika, Riko and 7 more and become an actual fully fledged, 9 people group.
BluetearsXApr 19, 2017 8:34 AM
Apr 21, 2017 9:01 AM

May 2012
BluetearsX said:
DragonSlayer_19 said:
LLS characters aren't as unique as MUSE, and they don't have that great chemistry.

For uniqueness, they have, for chemistry, they don't.

I feel that the reason of that is the massive focus on ChikaRiko throughout the season. Even though I think SS was made better than SIP, I was constantly rolling my eyes whenever we he had a Chika and Riko scene after the season was halfway done. In my eyes, all these nine characters are capable of soooooooo many things, yet, as you said, were mostly tossed aside, in my opinion, for the sake of more Chika and Riko.

Being a You fan, I was super pissed at episode 11 because it made her look dumb, but especially because Chika suddenly had 180° character change??? You were so worried and caring of Riko last episode, why are you acting like the typical clueless and dense harem protagonist now??? Can't you see the face of helplessness of your supposedly best friend? If You is not that important to Chika, then why keep her character tied from progression? I think You could shine so much more if she wasn't being tossed to the side or being held by the concept of loyal "best friend". I felt as if episode 11 was wrote by an entirely different person with little to no grasp of Chika and even Riko's characters and recent development. And Riko appears on the phone as well basically as a proxy and narrator of a last minute trick to fix it all in one episode. Not only that, a "supposed" Chika and You song, is at the end a Chika and Riko song, since the lyrics of Omoi yo Hitotsu ni Nare talk about being connected even if they are in different places.

If only, it had a bit of build up from Chika's side at least instead of focusing only on You's angst, that last scene before the performance would have been really nice, but she just popped there. You ends up feeling guilty of something that also has fault on Chika, yet this one uses her protagonist powers and escapes with no harm whatsoever, rushing at the last minute to save the damsel in distress. Again, what is the point of having a character that acts as the loyal companion and makes sacrifices for her friend, if she ultimately will get shoved to the side? Untie her or make the three come to a solution, not talking through a phone and saying "Hey, she told me this." but actually talking to one another, clear the misunderstanding or something.

I mean, Chika was definitely a core element throughout episodes 8-10, she was doing so well, and then episode 11 arrives and is like Chika reverted herself to that of the second and third episode, then episode 12 comes, and again, turns back to being the Chika of episode's 8-10. Even You, that half-ass conclusion and in the next episode she's cuddling with Riko on the train, huh? I wasn't really a fan of that and I hope they don't magically start getting along when the second season starts, I want to see actual bonds being forged instead of seeing two individuals being tied by one.

Sunshine spent too much time focusing on the two of them and almost ignored the rest of the cast. Hanamaru and Ruby joined, toss them aside. Yoshiko joined, toss her aside. The third years joined, toss them aside, You was feeling bad, do a quick fix at the end of the episode and go back to ignore her.

Though it kinda makes sense, since you don't usually start to talk with everyone even in the same club if you were recently transfered to a certain school, and you don't casually talk with other year's students if you don't know them very well. You would talk with the first person that offers you a hand, and that is Chika to Riko, but this isn't real life, this is an anime series about nine girls. If it was only a romance anime ala Sakura Trick, then go for it and have as much fun as you want, but this isn't.

I'm hoping S2 really kicks off well and starts to develop these characters now that they have a background to work with and reduces the massive ChikaRiko focus it had. I also want to see Riko interact with Kanan, you know, Sunrise? Or with the Kurosawa siblings, maybe You talk with Kanan about her feelings and getting advice from her to actually solve the issue (Which I REALLY hope they do 'cuz I don't want to accept episode 11 as an actual conclussion to that, but unfortunately it may be).

I still stand on my point, SS S1 was better made than SIP S1. But I just want Aqours to stop being Chika, Riko and 7 more and become an actual fully fledged, 9 people group.

I respect this interpretation, its definitely not wrong. I would have to ask if you would feel the same if there was no media outside of the anime though? With 9 characters in a genre that encourages you to pick a "best girl" and run with it someone is always going to feel their favorite was left out. Its got to be insanely hard to build up a group of 9 characters and have character Y have unique and meaningful interactions with the other 8. There is no question Chika and Riko are the ones running the ship but they stand out worse only because their interaction and story is simply the best one. Nobody got excited for the other story arcs.

There is always a chance for the second season to fire things up, and there may even be a 3rd the anime sold insanely well and reception to the actual group has been stellar. That said though, personally im not sold yet on the idea of Chika and Riko taking a backseat. Riko is the most devolved character in the series already with far less content then the original had. I would not be against them putting other stories forward and expanding upon the other girls far more and reducing Chika and Rikos screen time but I think Chika and Riko are just too developed and good to throw away entirely. They still need to be the underlying story of the show.
Apr 23, 2017 9:03 PM
Jan 2016
[quote=Reikuo message=50438033]
BluetearsX said:
DragonSlayer_19 said:

I respect this interpretation, its definitely not wrong. I would have to ask if you would feel the same if there was no media outside of the anime though? With 9 characters in a genre that encourages you to pick a "best girl" and run with it someone is always going to feel their favorite was left out. Its got to be insanely hard to build up a group of 9 characters and have character Y have unique and meaningful interactions with the other 8. There is no question Chika and Riko are the ones running the ship but they stand out worse only because their interaction and story is simply the best one. Nobody got excited for the other story arcs.

There is always a chance for the second season to fire things up, and there may even be a 3rd the anime sold insanely well and reception to the actual group has been stellar. That said though, personally im not sold yet on the idea of Chika and Riko taking a backseat. Riko is the most devolved character in the series already with far less content then the original had. I would not be against them putting other stories forward and expanding upon the other girls far more and reducing Chika and Rikos screen time but I think Chika and Riko are just too developed and good to throw away entirely. They still need to be the underlying story of the show.

I do respect what you think as well, but the thing is that, at least to me, it shouldn't be that way. This is a series about the story of nine girls, so is just not fair to have two of them developing a side story and basically carrying the main story with it. I know this is a set-up season, but they put too much focus onto other things that could perfectly be done in a different way, making it way better in my opinion, and developing all the characters a bit more.

And I don't mean to completely forget about them now that they had almost all the first season, what I mean is that I would really like if they stopped forcing scenes of them to keep pushing a ship that has probably made more people angry than happy by the looks of it. Aqours is supposed to feel as a unit. The third years do feel a lot like a trio since we have seen how much they care for each other, the same thing should happen with the second and the first years, and then, with Aqours as a whole.

Is true that you can't completely build their bonds in just 13 episodes, but at this point, Muse already started to feel like a group, thing that Aqours yet isn't, and seeing the kind of story Aqours wants to develop and how it wants us to look at it, it is important that it shows us that the nine of them are indeed really close to each other, not just have little pairs.

My biggest problem is that, instead of forcing the story onto just the two of them, why couldn't they include You there, for example, as a fellow second year member? There was absolutely nothing keeping them from doing it, but having her developed there, would mean that there wouldn't be ChikaRiko, which they clearly wanted to sell. To me, there were just so many unnecessary interactions between the two of them.

Episode 8 and 10 are the perfect example. You worried so much about Chika and asked her if she was alright, if she wasn't feeling frustrated, if she wanted to quit, she was also seen worrying about her looking at their childhood photo. Chika didn't react to any of that. I get it if she didn't want to answer in the train in front of everyone, but at least a call to her later would have worked. Instead, Riko is the one who takes the role of comforting her, having had You worry about her for the entire episode. In episode 10, Chika takes action all by herself regarding Riko, however, she talked to Riko about You instead of directly talking with her. They push it too much.

If I was Chika, I would totally go and talk with my childhood friend, who probably knows everything about me, instead of relying on the transfer student who came 2-3 months ago.

I wouldn't say nobody got excited with the others in their arcs, just that the impact from episode 10 was far more shocking because of those words that Riko told Chika and because everyone likes to joke and romanticize things. If she hadn't, it would have been the same as the other arcs. There was people crying their eyes out with episode 9 and the third years drama, and people saying Hanamaru and Ruby's arc was really cute, how they pushed each other's backs.

And last, as I said, I'm not saying to completely get rid off them, but at least, add You there. You is someone who could boost the second year group so much that it hurts and pains me how neglected she is being. You could even say I want an OT3, and if that is the term, then be it.

I want something that can show how Riko has grown as a character since the moment she came from Tokyo to Uchiura, but not throwing the other characters to the side. I want to see how Chika feels about her relationship with You, see it, feel it, feel for Chika the same way I felt for You, not having Riko say it from the phone, I also want interactions between them showing that they really are childhood friends. I want You to talk to Chika and even Riko about how she feels, not making her an angsty teenager. Is true that most teens tend to behave the way she did in episode 11, being really scared, and I know is not easy to be in that position, but that isn't an excuse, You should really talk it out, and I really want something of it happening in the next season because that is true, we haven't seen how Chika feels about her childhood friend yet. Yes, she biked about 13KM in the middle of the night, but it was so suddenly with no visible build up that it just felt like an "Eh? How did she get here?". You talking to Riko as well could help Riko understand that she can rely on others too, not only Chika. Having You and Riko talk also opens more doors for them both as characters, and exploring something they can't explore with Chika. Riko finds a charm in Chika's will to shine as a school idol, she can also find a charm in You's will of supporting her friend no matter what happens, sacrificing so many things. The writters are very heavily favoring one side of the trio, but that just makes them feel even more separated and is not healthy for the kind of series this is.

I also want the same with the rest of the members. It would feel weird if suddenly Riko and Mari started talking and getting along out of nowhere, same with Ruby and Kanan, or Dia and Yoshiko that hadn't any kind of interaction besides their duet in OmoHito. I feel these characters have so much future if they are done right, but over focusing on some will overshadow others, and I would say that is not the way to do it, for the story of nine girls, it doesn't feel like it should be that way.

And as a quick side note, there hasn't also been an episode where You finds a true reason to be in Aqours. Until now, she joined because she wanted to be with her best friend and do something together, I don't want You to be the second Rin and just be there to look cute. If there is maybe an episode where You finds a reason to stay, maybe they can make something with the second year trio, which imo, would make me really happy, and would make things really interesting to see how they can make bonds between the three of them.
BluetearsXApr 23, 2017 9:27 PM
Apr 26, 2017 6:28 AM
Jul 2013
Aquors used plot armor one time

Muse used plot armor 99% of the time

LLS > LLSIP

Nuff said
May 9, 2017 5:25 PM
Apr 2017
I agree I like the original but the drama was pretty forced. If Honoka wasn't stupid they would have been better off in the first season. These girls however, damn, they tried their best and nobody voted for them... that sucks. The direction was off but I felt the characters and their realistic obstacles made up for it. Looking forward to this season!
May 9, 2017 6:08 PM

Jun 2010
the new nico is beautiful too
May 9, 2017 6:22 PM

Jun 2016
I don't think it's really fair to compare Sunshine and the original. Even through I didn't watch the original yet, I still can tell that both of them has their strength and their weakness. I like Sunshine, but I agree that the show could has some more original concepts and writing.
May 10, 2017 1:31 AM
Apr 2017
I highly recommend you watch the original, even if it has little correlation with Sunshine.
Aug 14, 2017 8:02 AM
Apr 2012
How to start a flame war in the love live fandom: mention one group is better than the other.
Aug 14, 2017 8:13 AM

May 2015
^ true

OT: I'm honestly Love Live trash, so I love the both of them equally, but I do have to admit that Sunshine's animation and music are better.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 30, 2017

132 by master106 »»
Oct 1, 9:25 AM

» Aquors HELP!!!

Vapor_AU - Jun 7

2 by Serafos »»
Jun 8, 5:31 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

68 by JoJoLaRow »»
Apr 16, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

58 by JoJoLaRow »»
Mar 21, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2017

81 by JoJoLaRow »»
Mar 19, 3:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.