Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 11, 2007 1:09 AM

May 2007
Lots of talking... I mean lots. Not a bad episode. Despite all the talking, the episode didn't have the feel of dragging on.

Love the scene where Tanda says Balsa was already a boy by the time they met.
Jun 11, 2007 8:30 AM

Oct 2006
yeah good episode... but I'm kinda getting tired of all the talking, although they've done the latest episodes well and they never got boring. It's about time we get some action scenes too. However... seems it's not gonna happen in the next episode yet.

Even so, I'm looking foward to it.
Jun 11, 2007 5:25 PM

Jan 2007
An alright episode, i liked the meeting between Tanda and Shugo. Despite not having much action the last few episodes, i find them not boring as well. Next episode looks interesting, looking forward to it.
Jun 11, 2007 6:28 PM

Apr 2007
Maybe it's just me, but I have yet to grow tired or bored from the large amount of talking done these past few episodes. I don't mind dialog heavy shows as long as it's interesting and what they're saying has a purpose that will move the story forward. So far the talking has done a lot to flesh out many of the characters so you can get a very good feel of what their motivations and aims are concerning the upcoming events. It also gives a much better picture of the setting around them.

With that being said, I liked this episode. Shuga looks to be the most level headed individual out of all the star diviners so I'm interested in how great his role and influence will be in future events. The same can be said for Chagum's brother. He may not have the full authority like his father but he's still able to use his position to get his way without getting caught.

From the previews it looks like they're going to try and toughen Chagum up in the next episode and make him more street wise. I wonder how well that will work out.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 11, 2007 10:10 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
So far, this show is making me VERY happy.YAY FOR NO RETARDED CHARACTERS. Each character actually has a reason to do what they're doing, or they have a well enough defined character to back it up. They can talk all they want, I don't mind at all. :)
Jun 14, 2007 11:10 AM

Aug 2006
Xinil said:
So far, this show is making me VERY happy.YAY FOR NO RETARDED CHARACTERS. Each character actually has a reason to do what they're doing, or they have a well enough defined character to back it up. They can talk all they want, I don't mind at all. :)

Exactly!!! I don't mind the talking (although the fight scenes we have seen have been superb!!) when you have characters as great as these. And in this episodes, my 2 favorite characters in this series meet. AWESOME!! MORE!!!
Jan 3, 2009 10:54 PM

May 2007
I am amazed at the fact that the talking does not get to me, it is just such good characters with amazing motives talking to each other, it makes for a great show.
My anime list
Jan 10, 2009 2:06 PM

Jul 2008
The talking does not bother me as well, I can just take in the bulk of it I guess without really feeling bored or unsatisfied. The show is developing pretty nicely. It would be nice to have some fighting and action scenes though since they flow so well in this show.
Apr 6, 2009 11:16 PM

Feb 2009
There is no such thing as coincidence huh?
Jun 13, 2009 10:08 PM

Nov 2007
MaxCrazy7 said:
There is no such thing as coincidence huh?

Very well said, and yeah lots more talking but I guess that's fine as it furthers the story and doesn't just put in pointless fighting scenes.
Jul 26, 2009 9:57 AM

Jun 2008
Good episode. We get to know more about Shuga.
Dec 3, 2009 10:03 PM

Jan 2009
Very nice episode, Shuga is becoming a fabulous character. I didn't think after episode 3 i would be more excited to see how the story turns out rather than just waiting for the fight scenes.
Aug 2, 2010 4:04 AM

Jun 2009
Didn't notice it that I haven't wrote anything about this on a paper, though it wasn't boring
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 22, 2010 12:17 PM

Sep 2008
Chelle said:
Xinil said:

Exactly!!! I don't mind the talking (although the fight scenes we have seen have been superb!!) when you have characters as great as these. And in this episodes, my 2 favorite characters in this series meet. AWESOME!! MORE!!!

I agree with the statement that... well, when you have great characters, listening and watching them talk isn't so tiresome or bothersome at all! Actually I thought it was a nice episode, although now I'm wondering if Chagum really will ever make friends... He seems more interested in nature and the animals rather than the other kids. When he interrupted them, I thought it was because they were destroying the rice field. XD Guess not...

Love watching the interaction between Tanda and Balsa. :) And Tanda and Shuga's encounter was also interesting. Shuga certainly seems to have his wits about him - and so does Sagum! Awesome older brother - just hope he doesn't get caught!
Aug 29, 2010 9:54 PM

May 2010
"I really don't have much of a desire to play with children", oh Chagum!
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Oct 30, 2010 4:59 PM

Oct 2010
I can't say anything more, my thoughts on this anime so far has been summarized by you guys :D I just love it.

I heard someone complaint somewhere that Chagum was just too carefree while in the palace everyone was worried sick of him. But according to my experience that's pretty much the reaction I expected. You can't help it, kids are like that. As long as they think they're already in good hands, new stuff occupies their mind more than anything else.
Jan 2, 2011 3:23 AM

Oct 2009
Exactly what Xinil said.
Great episode!
Feb 11, 2011 4:06 AM

Apr 2009
Xinil said:

Completely agree! I often find myself agonizing over how stupid some characters' actions and motives are in anime. This is what it should look like instead :P
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Mar 6, 2012 8:39 PM

Aug 2010
Xinil said:
Jun 4, 2013 4:52 AM

Jan 2012
Really liking the story development, the action scenes are very good but I can live without them, I watch this to find out more of the interesting plot
Jun 28, 2013 12:54 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Nice seeing Chagum hanging out with the kids, though he still doesn't completely fit in. He really has a kind heart, since he told the others not to interrupt the frogs that are catching flies. He is also very knowledgeable in animals (and plants though we haven't really seen it), which would be nice if he learned about medicine.

The flashback of Chagum and Sagum was cute as well, I can see why Sagum said that watching Chagum play around made him happy. And aah Shuga. Really interesting character. He really isn't afraid to say what he thinks (and not in an abrasive way either). I agree that it's nice to see all these character's motivations. Interesting talk between Shuga and Tanda, like the mantis' eggs and how according to the Yakoo, could determine how much snow there is in the winter.
Nov 13, 2013 7:24 PM

Dec 2012
I've always found Shuga to be an interesting character, glad to see more of his workings and feelings about the entire situation. His conversation with the prince was moving and the meeting with Tanda at the river has led to an interesting development on the court's part. When Chagum went to defend the frogs, I wonder if he thought back to that memory that his brother talked about at that moment.

I might be in the minority, but I'm actually enjoying the break from the action. These episodes are really demonstrating that being the warrior isn't the most important role and adding more depth to the various characters and their parts to play.
Feb 15, 2014 10:08 AM

Nov 2009
Oh man . . . Shuuga was so close to finding out about the prince although I doubt Tanda would EVER mention anything about the prince (or Balsa) even with someone he thought wouldn't know who either were.
Aug 16, 2014 9:51 AM

Sep 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
I've always found Shuga to be an interesting character, glad to see more of his workings and feelings about the entire situation. His conversation with the prince was moving and the meeting with Tanda at the river has led to an interesting development on the court's part. When Chagum went to defend the frogs, I wonder if he thought back to that memory that his brother talked about at that moment.

I might be in the minority, but I'm actually enjoying the break from the action. These episodes are really demonstrating that being the warrior isn't the most important role and adding more depth to the various characters and their parts to play.

for me action is not Number one neither, what i like in anime's is, good story Romance Comedy (School anime's included), then also Ecchi cause all Ecchi anime's are comedy's even if they ton't have Comedy Genre written in MAL or Manga or where ever, Same thing is with Harem, i like Harem for the same reason i like Ecchi, cause it makes me laugh, but the critical factor is story, i have even watched some Mystery anime's, resonantly i watched death note, & not the type of Anime That ends like Romeo x Juliet for example, clannad is another story, it did not ended sadly, the ending just trolled with all who watched, fists showed sad ending & then Bang all was okay again like that sad SH never happened LOL

this anime has a fine story
Sugram22Aug 16, 2014 10:44 AM
Jan 14, 2015 2:02 AM

Jan 2013
Another good episode with great dialogue. Everything comes together
Mar 16, 2015 1:50 AM

Nov 2013
Another slow paced episode.

Chagum's slowly growing on me. It was heartwarming seeing him trying to make friends with those kids.

Nice how we got some more backstory for Chagum and his older brother Sagum.

Now that Shuga knows that a drought may occur, I wonder when the hunters are going to begin looking for Chagum again.

While pretty dialogue-heavy, it was still a good episode.

7/10

Apr 29, 2015 11:19 AM

Nov 2010
Cenedess said:
Xinil said:

Completely agree! I often find myself agonizing over how stupid some characters' actions and motives are in anime. This is what it should look like instead :P

Yes, more of this please and no überkawaii mascots with moe bs all over your face (:
Sep 24, 2015 1:26 AM

Mar 2012
You know a show's good when an episode's mostly full of dialogue yet it feels like it flew by.
May 6, 2017 6:29 AM

Oct 2012
Seeing 2 men bonding.. What a good episode xD

This is a good episode, I'm starting to like Shuga.. He's really a good person
Sagum too
They both are too smart for the Court
"Signature removed"
Nov 20, 2017 4:05 AM

Dec 2015
I quite enjoyed this episode, the investigation part was most interesting.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 25, 2018 9:10 AM

Sep 2011
I really liked this Shuga centered episode, I've been wanting to know more about him. I really like how he became of part of Chagum's life, he was brave enough to stand up to the Emperor no less! And his talk with Tanda was nice too, it would be cool if those two could become friends, they have a similar energy, and they certainly would have a lot to learn with each other; well, one can hope. It's sad that he is envied and bullied by the other diviners, but it was to be expected because he's talented, knowledgeable, and has this position even though he's young, but it's still distasteful.

And it was a bit sad to see Chagum and his brother being awful to that bird, but they didn't know any better, and they helped it later, so it's fine. Especially because just a few scenes later Chagum was defending those frogs, what a precious boy. His brother really cares for him too, so with Shuga and his mom there are at least three people on the court that are on his side.
Aug 21, 2019 10:27 AM

May 2015
Bromance is born!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 20, 2021 1:52 PM

Jul 2017
This show continues to be one of the best exposition-filled shows I've ever seen. I love how episodes never drag on and become boring despite all the talking between various characters since there always seems to be a sense of purpose that's being put into its conversations with some subtle undertones of storytelling of the past and foreshadowing of the future or just conversations where characters are fleshed out in great detail.

Even the very short conversation between Balsa and Tanda gave a hint to how their relationship was in the past as Tanda casually referred Balsa to as a guy and she's completely normal with it while talking about their views on child rearing after taking Chagum in. What Tanda deciphered isn't necessarily the right answer but it's a perspective for sure, can't blame the show's writing for his views on theoretically not wanting to have a female kid to raise.

But the star of this particular episode is Shuga, as we observe of how devoted he is to Prince Chagum and how much he cares about his well-being, trying to atone earlier for his death and after listening to the Queen, trying to do some research on his own, especially considering that the drought sign hadn't diminished with Chagum's seeming death and how there could still be a potential danger in the future. His relationship with Chagum and Sagum are interesting ones for sure, as we observe on how much Sagum cared about his younger brother and how close their relationship was back in the day, even feeling that Chagum is a more suitable leader for the future due to his compassion and empathetic nature overall to care for the country's prosperity in the future.

Furthermore, it is even more interesting seeing a person working in the court in Shuga, talk to a seemingly country bumpkin in Tanda. But once Shuga realized that Tanda was really an intelligent person who knows what he's talking about, they already develop a fascinating bond there. I love how smartly written and natural the characters in this show feel for the most part, and the conversations and characters showcased in this episode only further proves how fantastic this anime is with fleshing out characters and presenting its world building in such an organic yet interesting manner.
Apr 30, 2021 12:52 PM
Jan 2020
interesting episode. love it!! <3
Apr 7, 2022 9:11 PM

Jul 2016
animejas said:
This show continues to be one of the best exposition-filled shows I've ever seen. I love how episodes never drag on and become boring despite all the talking between various characters since there always seems to be a sense of purpose that's being put into its conversations with some subtle undertones of storytelling of the past and foreshadowing of the future or just conversations where characters are fleshed out in great detail.
couldn't have said it any better. each and every conversation has been genuinely interesting, keeping my attention.

the interactions between characters and all of their paths connecting is so fascinating. i can't get enough of this.
chagum is a very earnest boy.
this art style has got to be one of my favorites. the emotions are so human.
Cazqui-09Apr 7, 2022 9:41 PM
Mar 20, 2023 2:28 PM

Jun 2020
Two things bugged me about this episode:
A good harvest, plump fish and moist soil in late summer would bear little no relevance whatsoever to whether the rains will come next year. Shuga is basically attempting to forecast the weather a full year in advance. Given that even with gargantuan networks of interlinked weather stations across the globe, satellite imagery and thousands of scientists running simultaneous data analysis on hundreds of years of meteorological records we can still only predict a drought a couple of months in advance (and even then its hit or miss) I don't know what he thought he could accomplish. I suppose it is possible that he didn't have much confidence either but his demeanour didn't indicate as such.

Secondly, assuming he did have the faith in his methods that his steely expression suggested, why would he totally believe a passing herbologist who he doesn't know from Adam over his years of scientific education. A raised eyebrow maybe, possibly even a "Hmmmm... maybe there is something we don't know about". But complete shock and discarding his whole theory over a single mantis egg and a folk tale? I know it's hardly the plot hole of the century but in an anime that studiously avoids such contrivances it stands out all the more.
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Sep 5, 2023 7:34 PM
Oct 2021
another great episode
Oct 17, 2023 1:49 PM

Oct 2023
OMG 2000th thread :O
Oct 29, 2023 9:34 AM

Apr 2016
Even though this show shines when the focus is on Balsa and Chagum, this was a nice way to show how the palace deals with the aftermath of their decision.
Aug 20, 9:12 AM

Apr 2017
Tanda is always in the mix. He's always running into important people.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Aug 23, 2007

61 by Safrichh »»
Oct 16, 9:08 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 18 Discussion

mild_even - Aug 14, 2007

34 by Safrichh »»
Oct 11, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Aug 9, 2007

51 by Safrichh »»
Oct 5, 8:45 PM

» What do you think of Seirei no Moribito?

medicalmidget - Aug 19, 2011

16 by TransferUser »»
Sep 23, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 16 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 31, 2007

47 by Safrichh »»
Sep 21, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.