Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 12, 12:26 PM
Jul 2024
20th century boys is more well known too why not turn that one into anime......
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 12, 12:36 PM
Apr 2023
Mackyreels said:

cause it is definitely weaker than author other works.
Sep 12, 12:42 PM
May 2021
Cause the ending was shit af
Sep 12, 12:45 PM
Sep 2020
because the ending was extremely disappointing
Sep 12, 12:48 PM

Dec 2019
Netflix behavior, they release all eps at once instead of weekly, which ultimately tanks the popularity and engagement. Pluto is heavy on dialogue and psychological which isn't popular these days unfortunately, I thought Pluto was anime of the year tbf
Sep 12, 12:48 PM
Sep 2022
because netflix didn't promote it better
Sep 12, 2:09 PM
Mar 2020
Idk why people are saying because of the ending. The ending is the most typical Urasawa ending. He’s well known for having anticlimactic/ambiguous endings. Monster, 20th century boys and Billy Bat are all like that in that sense.

Why didn’t it get as popular as Monster or 20th century boys?

It can be many things.

First and foremost and the most obvious thing, people just didn’t like the plot/characters that much compared to the other two.

Bad Marketing and release schedule. A show that airs and finishes in the same day will not be talked as much as a though that ends months after its release.

And finally one of the reason why Monster and 20 century boys are so popular in the first place:

Johan and Friend. Even if you haven’t read Monster or 20th CB it’s very likely that many people have at least heard of those names. It’s no surprise with the glaze these characters get ( avery well earned one though). You can literally see them on every social media (whether they’re pictures, edits or analytic videos of them)

Pluto doesn’t have any character like that. It’s very easy to say that Johan and Friend carry their respective mangas to popularity.

๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด, ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Sep 12, 2:38 PM

Feb 2016
Monster isn't exactly mainstream either.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Sep 12, 3:10 PM
May 2024
Little publicity surely, also in that year "Frieren" was also released and evidently Urasawa's work was quickly forgotten, a shame to be honest.
Sep 12, 3:11 PM
Jun 2024
Lucifrost said:
Monster isn't exactly mainstream either.

Is this a joke? Surely this has to be some form of irony, monster is SUPER popular dude
Sep 12, 5:14 PM
Aug 2020
Because Monster is much longer and didn’t get a Netflix batch drop. That kept it in the public eye much longer. Also, Pluto is fairly popular among certain segments of the anime watching public, so I don’t see a huge disparity among the two in general popularity either. Monster wasn’t exactly a battle shonen being played to wide audiences. It’s popularity has built up over two decades on a reputation of being a mature thriller; Pluto released in an era of a lot more competition for that role.
ClaudGSep 12, 5:20 PM
Sep 12, 5:40 PM
Apr 2022
Leonzanimelist said:
because the ending was extremely disappointing

I think monster become extremely popular because Johan
Sep 12, 6:10 PM
Jan 2021
it's good, but nowhere near as good as monster
Sep 12, 6:23 PM

Sep 2018
- It is a ONA
- It is only 8 episodes
- Not much marketing
- Lack of merchandisable characters
- Tons more new anime airing to compete with it
- Monster is niche by modern standards
Sep 12, 7:28 PM
Aug 2021
Because it’s straight ass.
Sep 12, 7:53 PM

Jul 2019
Unpopular opinion: This wasn't as good as Monster.

Sep 12, 8:24 PM
Feb 2018
Because is really boring.
And an anime without an opening is just wrong.
Sep 12, 9:25 PM
Oct 2022
Because it needs time to be appreciated for what it is, like how Monster is.
Sep 12, 9:32 PM
Mar 2021
Mackyreels said:

Lack of marketing is the main issue blame Netflix for releasing all the episodes at once
Sep 12, 9:32 PM
Oct 2020
LordSozin said:

Says "unpopular opinion", while saying the the opinion majority of people have, great job
Sep 12, 9:37 PM
Oct 2020
Monster is 20 years old, western fans probably didn't even know about it when it came out, it only got popular when stuff got more mainstream since so many people got access to the internet, surely when pluto is that old it will also be regarded as one of the best, especially for his animation
Sep 12, 11:51 PM
Jun 2023
Didn't watch Monster, but this work was way weaker than I expected for such high score.
I love mysteries, but mystery here felt very artificial, which really disappointed me. You learn the truth very early and anime acts like you are too dumb and repeats the same information just in different forms. 4-5 episodes instead of 8 would be enough, it would only make it better.
And all these super advanced robots acting suicidal again and again was so frustrating to watch. For some reason subplot about man trying to avenge his brother's death was much better written than main plot.
Few good moments, retrofuturistic aesthetic and top notch production can't compensate for weak story.
donslockzSep 12, 11:58 PM
Sep 13, 3:47 AM
Jun 2024
That actually has very complex reasoning behind it:

it's worse.

hope that helps!
Sep 13, 4:19 AM
Dec 2018
Because it's another spin off of Astro Boy.
Sep 13, 5:32 AM
Aug 2021
Mackyreels said:

not flashy enough
Sep 13, 5:32 AM
Aug 2021
Apratim said:
Cause the ending was shit af

it was so good(nvm just different opinions ig)
Sep 13, 5:33 AM
Aug 2021
the ending felt good to me,why do people hate it,?
Sep 13, 8:25 AM
Nov 2023
Pluto is in my top 10, Monster is my top 1. I love Urasawa's works but I understand that they don't target a very wide segment of fans. For some people it may be boring or slow, with a lot of dialogue, I guess these days this type of anime is not very popular.
Sep 13, 9:01 AM

Jul 2019
Reply to CrunchyCrobat
LordSozin said:

Says "unpopular opinion", while saying the the opinion majority of people have, great job
@CrunchyCrobat, oops, sorry for not always hanging around this site like you always do. My bad. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Sep 13, 9:09 AM
Oct 2020
LordSozin said:
@CrunchyCrobat, oops, sorry for not always hanging around this site like you always do. My bad. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Well isn't that just weird, cause the way I see it, while your account is only a year older than mine, you have almost 10 times the posts/comments than me, and twice as much completed anime too, your account is older than the amount of time I have been watching anime, and even than not knowing such a common thing makes you look like the idiot
Sep 13, 9:38 AM

Jul 2019
Reply to CrunchyCrobat
LordSozin said:

Well isn't that just weird, cause the way I see it, while your account is only a year older than mine, you have almost 10 times the posts/comments than me, and twice as much completed anime too, your account is older than the amount of time I have been watching anime, and even than not knowing such a common thing makes you look like the idiot
@CrunchyCrobat. No. I simply don't engage in MAL or any other anime/manga communities like you do. My apparent unpopular opinion has nothing to do with when I created my MAL account and my activities on this site. It's not me being an idiot. It's you being too opinionated on this site for a simple statement.

Sep 13, 11:14 AM
Jan 2024
because it's starting was boring and ep are too long but in reality it was one of greatest and underrated anime it's so good that I scored it 10/10
manthan_lodiyaSep 14, 6:19 AM
Sep 13, 12:29 PM
Dec 2020
it's dragging and slowpaced
Sep 13, 12:59 PM

Jan 2022
I liked this show when it released last year. Now I am watching Monster bcuz of it.
Sep 13, 2:17 PM

Jan 2009
its not a weekly release so the hype died fast
Sep 13, 2:26 PM
Jun 2021
Euroqean said:
Netflix behavior, they release all eps at once instead of weekly, which ultimately tanks the popularity and engagement. Pluto is heavy on dialogue and psychological which isn't popular these days unfortunately, I thought Pluto was anime of the year tbf

acting like most people were around when monster was airing weekly, plus urasawas works are usually more appreciated over time, the manga was well loved and astro boy fans appreciate this for what it is, a retelling of an already established story, its basically urasawas go at doing "fan fiction" if youre disatisfied with the ending, go read the arc after it in astro boy
Sep 13, 2:27 PM
Jun 2021
LordSozin said:

thats not an unpopular opinion tbf
Sep 13, 2:34 PM
Dec 2016
It was quite popular , but the effect of binge watching is that it doesn’t stick around long.
Sep 13, 5:37 PM

Dec 2019
Reply to GreatCarerJack
Euroqean said:

acting like most people were around when monster was airing weekly, plus urasawas works are usually more appreciated over time, the manga was well loved and astro boy fans appreciate this for what it is, a retelling of an already established story, its basically urasawas go at doing "fan fiction" if youre disatisfied with the ending, go read the arc after it in astro boy
@GreatCarerJack ok

but i think ur missing the key point lol this isn't like Monster, I highly doubt this Pluto adaptation will be considered an underappreciated gem that'll become more popular by time. Anime fans are well aware of Urasawa's major works. Pluto just suffered from bad marketing and niche genres that're overwhelming to 2024 fans
Sep 13, 11:56 PM

Dec 2021
It will get popular, I found it amazing honestly and has become one of my favs. But i think one of the reasons monster got so popular was johan, yes, his face, style everything just makes you watch the anime. Urasawa himself said that johan worked really well as marketing. Don't think gesicht gives that spark to draw you in
Sep 14, 6:04 AM

Oct 2019
Because:

1. netflix

2. monster has been an all time classic for 2 decades, it has simply had a far longer time to become people's favourites

3. pluto has way better production value, but monster is for sure a better urasawa story than pluto despite both being great.

4. a lot of people think the ending is rushed, and I do kinda agree. it could have really used a longer epilogue.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Animeใ€ŒAMVใ€: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Sep 14, 6:06 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to MadJaeger
it's dragging and slowpaced
@MadJaeger I don't think being slow is even a bad thing, but like. pluto is FOR SURE faster paced than monster by a long shot.

your complaint does not work given what the thread is about.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Animeใ€ŒAMVใ€: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Sep 14, 10:44 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Alamax
Because it's another spin off of Astro Boy.
@Alamax
There's no way anyone would know that without reading or watching Astro Boy. Urasawa's style is nothing like Tezuka's, and the translation further distances them by giving the boy a different name.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Sep 14, 12:11 PM

Oct 2017
20th century boys 36 million+ copies in circulation

Monster 20 million+ copies

Pluto 10 million+ copies
Sep 14, 2:46 PM

Apr 2020
Cause, while beeing from the same author as Monster, it isn't Monster.
Sep 14, 2:47 PM
Apr 2015
I would say it's as popular as Monster. Just know that Monster too 10+ years to get to the notoriety it currently has. personally I think Pluto is INFINITELY better than Monster. I just give Monster the benefit of the doubt since some people like subtle writing.
Sep 14, 9:51 PM

Apr 2022
because it didn't get advertised all that much before release, from what i saw anyway. and then ended up not being as good as monster.
Sep 17, 2:25 PM
Dec 2015
Lol you realise Monster is a cult classic and didn't become an instant hit right? There's no legal way to watch the dub. The DVDs sold poorly back then. The boradcast of the SyFy channel airings are all one gets for the dub.

Pluto will probably get it's recognition years from now when people start redeveloping their attention span and watch something besides JJK
Sep 18, 10:32 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Otaku_4511
Lol you realise Monster is a cult classic and didn't become an instant hit right? There's no legal way to watch the dub. The DVDs sold poorly back then. The boradcast of the SyFy channel airings are all one gets for the dub.

Pluto will probably get it's recognition years from now when people start redeveloping their attention span and watch something besides JJK
@Otaku_4511

Pluto is nowhere as epic as Monster so it's doubtful, the thing is the anime adaptation came late and as a result some of the themes it uses are quite outdated .
JoeChipSep 19, 8:38 AM
Sep 18, 9:56 PM
Dec 2015
JoeChip said:
@Otaku_4511

Plutp is npwhere as peic as Monster so its doubtful the thing is it came late as the some ฤฑof the themes it uses are quite outdated

Plenty of people still like it. Not everyone has seen everything.

Terminator is still a great film even if Westworld exists right?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pluto Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MegamiRem - Oct 26, 2023

137 by GavrocheN7 »»
Oct 19, 1:12 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ryzxgum - Oct 27, 2023

52 by GavrocheN7 »»
Oct 17, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ScarRufus - Oct 26, 2023

86 by GavrocheN7 »»
Oct 16, 6:03 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

King_KK - Oct 26, 2023

66 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 27, 1:35 PM

Poll: » Pluto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

deg - Oct 26, 2023

201 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 27, 9:04 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.