Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 20, 9:28 AM

Nov 2011
Ye, they definitely needed someone with editing skills for the project to work. This was also a team effort to produce results.

Kiwi seems to be the talent they were seeking and tbh, she also has a ton of energy and charisma for her character. Still a lot of potential for this group imo and they are an interesting track for their futures. Social media still has a huge part in their society.
Apr 20, 9:32 AM

Feb 2020
The girls are slowly starting to make some progress.

I love Kiwi's personality. She's a great addition to the show. I really liked her backstory.

SerafosApr 20, 10:30 AM
Apr 20, 9:50 AM

Apr 2016
Hey look, she was playing that financial failure of a game made by capcom, lmao.

I guess not surprising that the clown is the most depressed person under the tent, they played her part with quite a bit of comedy, but the point was still made, sometimes you can try your best but simply never really made it, that is life i geuss.

But anyway, fortunately the vtuber girl has a much better taste in the media groups that she has in games she plays, so all ends good in the end ... quite touching episode i would say.
Apr 20, 10:03 AM
Jul 2023
Using insert song the Ed is a great decision and Muse Asia once again doing god’s work by providing the english subtitle.
Apr 20, 10:07 AM

Jul 2017
Still don't love the characters that much and the chemistry there, but I can at least empathize some degree with being an outcast like Kiwi, but in a different way of course. Led me to hate going to school at one point in my life and having to experience an atmosphere I could not feel safe and comfortable in whatsoever, and leading me to close myself off there and focus more on distracting myself with things outside school life as a result. In terms of story, hers was definitely a lot better than the previous episode but still didn't quite care for the corny solution with Mahiru's dance being streamed to be honest. I get the messages and support, I just don't feel too much for the chemistry the characters have had so far. Looks good visually again but this is no Bocchi the Rock miracle for me from the looks of things, since that truly was a standout show when I normally disliked series like that a lot. I'm not quite feeling this one so far, but at least the main characters are here so hopefully a more interesting direction can occur with the story. Characters are also very loud in this series and quite annoying with their interactions like in the episode early on with the three girls besides Kiwi so that didn't help me one bit.
Apr 20, 10:09 AM

Feb 2021
15:30 In Japanese they were talking about a girl using 俺 (ore) - "I; me​", which is a masculine first-person pronoun. Kiui uses it.

Didn't expect such an emotional backstory for Kiui. Her being so positive and confident when other kids laughed at her name when she was small is really cool ngl. Love her already.
Omg I love how they used the video as the ED.
EmbientApr 20, 10:25 AM
Apr 20, 10:14 AM

Mar 2021
Really like Kiwi she is a real cutie and such a great addition.
Apr 20, 10:29 AM

Jan 2016
Really good backstory for Kiwi. Usually I'm not a fan of these coincidences used for plot convinience but linking Amaterasu who shut herself in the cave with Kiwi was pretty clever.
That was such a funny dance by Mahiru lol

That punchline of Mahiru saying 頭ピンク (or how it was translated as Pink hair) to Kiwi made me completely lose gdi
For explanation it also has a more vulgar meaning of "Someone who is constantly thinking in perverted things". But because there were mosaic in the hair for some reason, they for sure made it so everyone thinks on this meaning...
The term was even trending in Japanese twitter lol
RyushindaiApr 20, 10:41 AM
Apr 20, 10:33 AM

Aug 2022
I like Kiwi a lot, She's probably my favourite character so far, She's such a vibe and relatable
Apr 20, 10:51 AM

Jun 2021
I really like Mahiru's interaction with other characters even if other characters are just ok at best. The episode as expected was cute nothing too special but still somewhat enjoyable.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

Apr 20, 11:31 AM
Feb 2021
Why this show has to be this special -- Every single episode is goddamn unique and pretty sick so far, Good job!
Apr 20, 11:56 AM

Apr 2012
I like that they didn't just stick with the Kana and Mahiru dynamic, doesn't showing the other two girls as just supporting pseudo-main characters. It's even interesting how the relationships between the main four will develop now, considering that their internal relationships are not as stereotypically limited as in most all-female shows with "important emotional bonds" between the characters. Well, only if in the future they don’t tie the pink-haired one to Mahiru, and Mei to Kano.

By the way, is it just me, or do we essentially have three M + K pairs based on character names? Potentially four if the pianist and VTuber also build a bond.
RobertBobertApr 20, 12:00 PM
Apr 20, 12:09 PM

Sep 2021
damn every single episode is actually so so good, the animation, the vibe and everything, every characters had their own backstories and they encourage each other everytime, it's just so damn peak.

9/10 for me, hoping we got every banger till the end
Goodnight, Punpun 
Apr 20, 12:40 PM

Apr 2022
Kiui has a nothing phone, and I'm wondering if they were sponsored

Apr 20, 12:53 PM

Nov 2020
Where are yall watching this
Apr 20, 1:07 PM

Sep 2021
More or less expected Kiwi/Kiui's story. Now i wonder if she will go back to school again and if so, how will she do it?

With all the characters in the group now, excited to see what's next...
Apr 20, 1:58 PM
Mar 2023
Cheggeronis said:

because it’s good
Apr 20, 2:00 PM
Aug 2023
Apr 20, 2:19 PM

Jan 2020
Reply to pluginpanda
Cheggeronis said:

because it’s good
@pluginpanda reading comprehension devil got you lil bro
Apr 20, 2:21 PM
Mar 2023
KatoWorks said:
@pluginpanda reading comprehension devil got you lil bro

ah shit i’m so used to people hating 😂
Apr 20, 2:31 PM

Oct 2023
Damn, Kiwi's past story hit me a lil bit.

Today's ED sounds good!
Apr 20, 2:38 PM
ザクシャ イン ラブ

Aug 2016
Kiui episode today. As the final member of Jelee's group of four to be formally introduced, we've already received some insight into her character through Mahiru's perspective. For Mahiru, Kiui was her "superhero", someone who was not afraid to stand up for herself and show who she is. Yet society could be cruel, as we see Kiui gradually lose confidence in her own identity after entering high school, due to their rejection of that identity. Kiui found herself unable to fit in and relate to anyone, losing her place within school, which would ultimately cause her to stop attending. The moment that hits the hardest this episode was the scene where Kiui realizes that by shutting herself away from Mahiru, she has lost the final place where she belonged. Luckily, Mahiru and Kiui's friendship is not that weak, and we see Mahiru bring Kiui out of her "cave". Now with the four members of Jelee together, I am looking forward for what is next in the story.

Apr 20, 2:46 PM

Nov 2013
Damn, Kiui story was painful to watch. Glad the pain seems to be ending.
Apr 20, 3:57 PM

Mar 2020
Holy fuck this show is so cute AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Apr 20, 4:08 PM
Apr 2023
Reply to felixsifuri
Kiui has a nothing phone, and I'm wondering if they were sponsored

@felixsifuri remember kids, Nothing phone screen easily breaks
Apr 20, 4:11 PM
Apr 2023
All I remember in this episode are legs

Jk, again another great episode. Still at the top of my weekly anime list
Apr 20, 4:16 PM

Mar 2008
This is Doga Kobo's Wonder Egg Priority.
No only they chose the cheap path of showing us character "dramas" first and foremost instead of trying the hard parth of developing the characters while they interact with each other, they also showed the characters being... not "nice" actually, definitively not "right", and wants us to agree and root for them because of those reasons.
I'm sorry, but no, this Kiui is completely delusional, she has nothing to prove against the world because the world has nothing against her.
PaninaManinaApr 20, 4:19 PM
Apr 20, 4:34 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode! By summing four wrongs, results in one right.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 20, 4:44 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to PaninaManina
This is Doga Kobo's Wonder Egg Priority.
No only they chose the cheap path of showing us character "dramas" first and foremost instead of trying the hard parth of developing the characters while they interact with each other, they also showed the characters being... not "nice" actually, definitively not "right", and wants us to agree and root for them because of those reasons.
I'm sorry, but no, this Kiui is completely delusional, she has nothing to prove against the world because the world has nothing against her.
@PaninaManina I still don't understand why first fans and then critics try to compare this to WEP. The Egg was a fairly straightforward story about having to accept someone else's death that got messed up too much by unnecessary complication, while Jellyfish is a typical teen drama about finding yourself. Perhaps both shows use a dorama-like exploration of youth social issues, but that's a pretty broad comparison I think.
Apr 20, 4:58 PM

May 2023
Kiwi best girl so far Miyu Tomita carries her voice, also Kiwi's backstory is really sad like all the JELEE members, the ED song is good tho.

Now all of JELEE's members are complete, I'm curious about how this story will continue.
Apr 20, 5:02 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
ARE THERE TWO BEST GIRLS NAMED KIWI THIS YEAR????
Apr 20, 5:29 PM

Nov 2021
These damn backstories making me tear up
Apr 20, 6:05 PM

Apr 2022
another okay episode. the bit with mahiru's goofy dance carried.
Apr 20, 6:27 PM

Jan 2024
Kiui's good but Mahiru's dance stole the show.

It's okay if you forget me.

Apr 20, 7:57 PM
Jan 2023
Goofy dance and music video sweet!

Also, got some back story on Kiwi too, kinda sad really.

Was a good episode indeed, went very quickly too! Next week's episode seems like it'll be a bit of a mystery, but should be fun, can't wait!
Apr 20, 8:07 PM

May 2021
I really enjoyed this week's episode. Starting to settle in with the characters and getting to know Kiwi was great. At the current trajectory she may end up being my favorite character from this series.

Really interesting take with the ED being the music video they made for JELEE. I'm pretty excited to see what other stuff they come up with + seeing the girls get to know each other a bit better.
Apr 20, 8:14 PM

Jun 2019
She's a Discord mod irl, damn. That's got to be the worst version of yourself.
Apr 20, 8:29 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to RobertBobert
@PaninaManina I still don't understand why first fans and then critics try to compare this to WEP. The Egg was a fairly straightforward story about having to accept someone else's death that got messed up too much by unnecessary complication, while Jellyfish is a typical teen drama about finding yourself. Perhaps both shows use a dorama-like exploration of youth social issues, but that's a pretty broad comparison I think.
@RobertBobert IMHO the point in common is incoherence and a bit of lack in self awareness.
Apr 20, 8:44 PM
Mar 2015
kiui enters to make their music video debut
Apr 20, 9:01 PM

May 2019
I'm hoping that with Kiui joining the girls, and being found out by Mahiru, that her life going forward will improve.

Also, I liked how Kiui's video became this episode's ED.
Apr 20, 9:23 PM

May 2015
It was very imaginative of them to use the well-known scene from the mythology of Amaterasu as an allegory for drawing out a hikikomori from her "cave".
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
Apr 20, 10:49 PM
best $30 i spent

Oct 2023
i love jellyfihs so much

Apr 20, 11:13 PM

Oct 2016
I've always been passionate about, well... passion. My passion, other peoples passion, it's awesome, so seeing what happened to Kiui was depressing and her backstory made me tear up. She definitely went to the wrong school, given her personality, there was no way she was ever going to fit in there. Though Kiui lying about her school experiences to her best friend was definitely bad, but I am glad Mahiru is such a great friend, it's only up from here.

Speaking of Mahiru, that dance was hilarious lmao. When they were talking what the play was about, I immediately though, damn, this is exactly what Kiui is going through right now.

We got a whole MV too as an ED, we're so eating with Jellyfish and Girls Band Cry weekends.
Apr 21, 12:10 AM

May 2020
I mean we could guess it too from the bits we saw in earlier episodes, but yeah Kiui being a shut-in sort of and everything about student council and stuff being lies didn't surprise me. Though we can give it to her that she tried, tried a lot to fit in, and when she couldn't she stopped. Liked though how it didn't escalate into something super depressing super deep uncalled drama segment.

Mahiru's a good friend in that regard. Now that we're done with character introductions, I'm looking forward to how they're planning to take this series forward.
Apr 21, 1:38 AM

Feb 2019
Mei was so real for folding when Kano said she loved her 😭 I’d have done the same
Apr 21, 2:13 AM

Apr 2018
Reply to RobertBobert
@RobertBobert I've seen it being compared to yorimoi and WEP about the same amount and I sorta get both comparisons to an extent.
Narratively it seems to be more similar to yorimoi, at least so far, but it vibes more like WEP. Unfortunately 'vibe' is a nothing of a word, so that's not very helpful.
It might literally just be what you said, the dorama approach, as opposed to what we usually get with cgdct shows. At the end of the day there isn't that many shows trying to straddle that particular line - cute girls doing trauma things - and WEG was the last really big one, it sorta makes sense that's what people would think of first. Although I don't foresee this one getting quite as dark as WEG did. And hopefully not as messy either lmao

@PaninaManina ngl mate, if you think that what has so far been an extremely simple and straightforward story is somehow incoherent, that just might be a you problem
Apr 21, 3:09 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to elany
@RobertBobert I've seen it being compared to yorimoi and WEP about the same amount and I sorta get both comparisons to an extent.
Narratively it seems to be more similar to yorimoi, at least so far, but it vibes more like WEP. Unfortunately 'vibe' is a nothing of a word, so that's not very helpful.
It might literally just be what you said, the dorama approach, as opposed to what we usually get with cgdct shows. At the end of the day there isn't that many shows trying to straddle that particular line - cute girls doing trauma things - and WEG was the last really big one, it sorta makes sense that's what people would think of first. Although I don't foresee this one getting quite as dark as WEG did. And hopefully not as messy either lmao

@PaninaManina ngl mate, if you think that what has so far been an extremely simple and straightforward story is somehow incoherent, that just might be a you problem
@elany So you think the main comparison to WEP is due to the seeming conflation of the CGDCT formula with the characters' traumatic backgrounds? To be honest, I never thought of either show as CGDCT at all. More like a dramatic all-female show.
Apr 21, 3:13 AM

Sep 2020
I've never related to a character as well as Kiwi. 3 banger episodes back to back, this is my favorite of this spring season so far. Super underrated.
Beat & Motion's strongest warrior

Apr 21, 5:19 AM

Apr 2018
Reply to RobertBobert
@elany So you think the main comparison to WEP is due to the seeming conflation of the CGDCT formula with the characters' traumatic backgrounds? To be honest, I never thought of either show as CGDCT at all. More like a dramatic all-female show.
@RobertBobert I think they have the cgdct aesthetic without necessarily following the formula. And they both rely on that presentation to an extent in things like character designs, marketing and so on. I'd even say both use that presentation for the same reason - to get you attached to the characters quickly, except one uses that attachment for moe and the other for drama.
So I yeah, I agree that neither are actually cgdct shows, but I can see why people would jump to that conclusion based on their aesthetic alone and not expect the more serious tone. In that sense they are similar, even if they have little else in common.
Apr 21, 5:26 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to elany
@RobertBobert I think they have the cgdct aesthetic without necessarily following the formula. And they both rely on that presentation to an extent in things like character designs, marketing and so on. I'd even say both use that presentation for the same reason - to get you attached to the characters quickly, except one uses that attachment for moe and the other for drama.
So I yeah, I agree that neither are actually cgdct shows, but I can see why people would jump to that conclusion based on their aesthetic alone and not expect the more serious tone. In that sense they are similar, even if they have little else in common.
@elany I think a lot of people just don't realize that the concept of bishoujo is applicable to big part of attractive anime characters than just CGDCT. For example, harem and gatcha games are called bishoujo anime and bishoujo games. So when people see female characters like this, especially with elements of the CGDCT formula like four female leads, they immediately jump to the conclusion that this is SoL with cute girls. Although when I pointed out these trends in G-WItch back in the day, fans got angry at me, since admitting such an appeal would actually lead to them admitting that Sunrise was trying to appeal to fans of bishoujo content.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 11

131 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 27, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 13

135 by BabyBlouie »»
Sep 9, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 22

192 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 8, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15

112 by Ashhk »»
Aug 24, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8

134 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 11:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.