Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 10:12 AM

Jul 2021
Pied Piper of Hamelin
The most satisfying moment of this episode was Maria kicking away that filthy teacher.

Overall it was a nice quick watch
I just wish they connected all of them in a way and the stories were longer

For me it goes as
Cinderella > The Elves and the shoemaker > Hansel & Gretel > Pied Piper of Hamelin > Little Red Riding hood > The Town musicians of Bremen
Apr 17, 10:50 AM
Oct 2020
Reply to Cestlavie_
Pied Piper of Hamelin
The most satisfying moment of this episode was Maria kicking away that filthy teacher.

Overall it was a nice quick watch
I just wish they connected all of them in a way and the stories were longer

For me it goes as
Cinderella > The Elves and the shoemaker > Hansel & Gretel > Pied Piper of Hamelin > Little Red Riding hood > The Town musicians of Bremen
This episode seems to have way higher video bitrate (around 4k) than all the other ones (around 1k), wonder why.

Anyway, I have so many questions about this episode. Like, I thought the teacher told the redhead to get out of his house, but then she's suddenly underground. Was it because the traveler played the music off-screen (not shown in the anime)? Also, he fell into underground and the trapdoor seemed to be locked, which is why he couldn't get out. But then, he suddenly got outside a few moments later.

I guess her fiance got NTR'd, huh? Also felt bad for her parents, they aren't the bad guys but lost their daughter.
RealNathApr 17, 10:58 AM
Apr 17, 10:59 AM

Jul 2021
RealNath said:
This episode seems to have way higher video bitrate (around 4k) than all the other ones (around 1k), wonder why.

Anyway, I have so many questions about this episode. Like, I thought the teacher told the redhead to get out of his house, but then she's suddenly underground. Was it because the traveler played the music off-screen (not shown in the anime)? Also, he fell into underground and the trapdoor seemed to be locked, which is why he couldn't get out. But then, he suddenly got outside a few moments later.

I guess her fiance got NTR'd, huh? Also felt bad for her parents, they aren't the bad guys but lost their daughter.

I assumed he went back and beat the Piper cause he was enamored with the painting.
Apr 17, 11:19 AM
Oct 2020
Forgot to ask about the Grimm siblings, how/why did her painting suddenly move in the post-credit? And is it just me or are her what-if questions (what if Cinderella wasn't a good girl, etc) in this episode's post-credit seem misplaced? I thought it would be better if it's at the beginning of the first story (Cinderella) and then show the audiences the answers to her what-ifs.
Apr 17, 4:45 PM

Nov 2012
This retelling wasn't as cohesive to me. There are too many holes. For me the main one being did they find out she went to bed with the teacher? If not what was the adults discussing while she was in her room? Don't even get me started about the end.
Apr 17, 7:07 PM

Apr 2022
well they saved the worst for last. most boring one by far but i guess it also has to do with the fact that this is the only story i didn't know.
cinderella > little red riding hood > the town musicians of bremen >>>> hansel & gretel > the elves and the shoemaker > pied piper of hamelin. it's like a 7 or 6.5/10 for me because that bottom 3 really bored me, the start was strong at least.
Apr 17, 8:08 PM

Oct 2019
Damn, what a drug filled moment in the end with the piper.
I had several issues with these. I think animation for all were pretty damn good. Imo, i felt the cinderella one was not really impressive. Whole ep was to show how fucking mental kiyoko was. Like it stated at the end, what if cinderella was bad as well as red riding hood. However, I just wasnt really feeling them that much. It was not something new which is fine. I would have liked some sort of cohesiveness with the stories. I felt this framing of these grim tales could have been better setup.
I was kinda dissapointed by some parts despite the equivalent of 2 eps for each story. I thought some parts didnt make sense or didnt do enough.
If i had to rank them: Elves and the shoemaker>hansel & gretel > Pied piper of hamelin> town musicians of bremen>cinderella>little red riding hood
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Apr 18, 5:17 AM

Sep 2008
Despite a unbearable thing or two (like the teacher's overzealous obsession for Maria (which ends up becoming his way of declaring his (perhaps unhealty) love for her) and the fact that it lacked a bit of cohesiveness

...it's still an enjoyable varation: nothing more, nothing less
LAboy456Apr 18, 9:42 AM
Apr 18, 8:19 AM
Nov 2010
This was kinda of a disappointing series for me. Not one episode was anything special or made me feel like I would recommend to someone. The twists of each were not as dark or thought provoking as the original tales. I was hoping for some payoff or bigger tie with the two brothers and their sister to at least makeup for these shortcomings but even that felt just thrown in to have a reason to tell us these stories.
Apr 19, 1:02 PM
Sep 2015
I feel like they should use Magic Flute music in this episode, but they already use in episode 1.
Apr 19, 4:27 PM
Jan 2017
i didn't understand the ending, like did the traveler take over the girl? did they merge into one being? and as others said it didn't really make sense and felt disjointed. that seems to be the issue with a lot of these episodes tho, like the shoemaker one completely lost me and i have no clue what happened and all the other ones have it to some degree, maby im just to stupid to get what they where trying to show.
Apr 19, 4:37 PM
Jan 2017
Reply to THE-DOG-CATCHER
This was kinda of a disappointing series for me. Not one episode was anything special or made me feel like I would recommend to someone. The twists of each were not as dark or thought provoking as the original tales. I was hoping for some payoff or bigger tie with the two brothers and their sister to at least makeup for these shortcomings but even that felt just thrown in to have a reason to tell us these stories.
@THE-DOG-CATCHER yeah from the trailer you expect them to be darker and all the protagonists to be the villians of there stories like how cinderella was the bad guy in hers but that could have been darker, the rest of them the MC's from the original didn't really seem like they where the villains. the whole time i was expecting something to happen with the siblings even or the last episode to focus more on them or to just be about them but they where kinda just there. i think some of the Grimes original story was darker then these. and they at least made kinda sense some of these like the shoemaker episode i have no clue what happened at all it was so confusing.
Apr 19, 7:07 PM
Nov 2010
Reply to PrincessJAM
@THE-DOG-CATCHER yeah from the trailer you expect them to be darker and all the protagonists to be the villians of there stories like how cinderella was the bad guy in hers but that could have been darker, the rest of them the MC's from the original didn't really seem like they where the villains. the whole time i was expecting something to happen with the siblings even or the last episode to focus more on them or to just be about them but they where kinda just there. i think some of the Grimes original story was darker then these. and they at least made kinda sense some of these like the shoemaker episode i have no clue what happened at all it was so confusing.
@PrincessJAM The shoemaker episode was the only one that I didn't follow all the way. I understood the message and the idea but the final few minutes kinda felt like it was out of left field. I don't understand at what point he had passed or if it was foreshadowed somewhere in the episode and was not interested enough to re-watch to figure out. I even looked up the tales it was adapting for that and couldn't place that plot point. I am ok with an episodic show but the last scene feels like it was implying that there was some greater overarching story that just wasn't there with the siblings.
Apr 21, 2:17 PM
Dec 2018
I have never seen anything so lewd. Scandalous! It was good overall, i like some more, some less. Little Red Riding Hood and The Town Musicians of Bremen are the weakest ones. I'm not saying they are bad.

7/10
My Candies:

Apr 22, 12:44 PM

Dec 2018
why'd they have to end on the worst episode of the bunch, laugh... Literally winded up skipping some of the incel teacher's monologue.
Apr 24, 9:10 PM
May 2020
There once was a series called FaerieTale Theatre produced by Shelley Duvall before she left the Hollywood scene.
This series is an example of something she would have done if she were still in the game.
Let's revisit all the folktales and all the endings!
Apr 25, 7:18 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
alternative version of Pied Piper of Hamelin to closed the season!!!

It was cool, Maria a girl closed in a mountain towns without daily beauty changed the day that arrived a traveller!!!

The teacher, horrible human!
Gran Code, the worst!!

harshness and misfortune!!

7/10 for this "fairy tail" and
7/10 for all the season, I enjoyed!!!
kekeke
Apr 25, 8:10 AM

Nov 2012
why was everyone in this ep such a dick? made them pretty hard to relate to and root for, none of them at all endearing.

overall this is a mixed bag I guess, wish I could rate the eps individually. 3 & 4 by far the best of the bunch, would be 8 and 9 respectively, 4 was easily my favourite and the best ep imo.

the rest were just average, so maybe a 7/10 in total the more average eps bringing the overall score down for me! Still worth the watch tho! I'm tempted to tell anyone I recommend this to start at eps 3 & 4 since they're all self contained.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Apr 25, 8:51 AM
Aug 2020
maybe not my favourite episode

the dude was crazy in love...

at he end, i probably enojoyed 4/6 episodes

7/10
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Apr 26, 11:08 PM

Aug 2015
Lmaoo, who would've thought we'd see Nasujima from Durarara twin in another anime. Not only they work as teacher, they have similar design and personalities too.

renzosparkApr 26, 11:18 PM
Apr 28, 12:22 AM

Sep 2021
this was like re-watching The Village (2004)
May 3, 12:57 PM

Mar 2013
Yep, Cinderella was the peak of this serie, but all the story are interesting especialy 4# and 6#
May 4, 4:06 PM
Jul 2008
overall decent but charlotte and her brothers don't even do anything to the story, might just cut them from the story.

I was expecting horror because of the horror tag but only met with gore, should have been gore not horror tag.

the pied piper story is quite weird, they are really exited because of the picture but the next thing is they are already in bed naked? why get excited over a photo of a man and woman embracing themselves if you can do it yourself lol.
May 6, 12:32 AM

May 2014
Uh... honestly not sure what's going on with this one. It started off interesting with the whole secluded village far from civilization, but there's like barely any point of this story at all. Good start, pointless ending. It's rather similar to the Hansel and Gretel in EP3, but slightly worse.
Also not a fan of the whole psychedelic / "experimental art" section at the end.

Last two episodes has been a disappointment for me. But overall, still quite enjoyable watch.
May 8, 8:01 PM

Dec 2015
A huge waste, some episodes were fine while the majority were mediocre.
May 10, 2:56 AM

May 2015
This episode was definitely the most dystopian in my opinion. Yet it had the least amount of science fiction elements! Maria is a smart cookie and I was rooting for her to get away from this awful town that locks joys away from its citizens. Yet I also realize at the end that the town made her weird too.

This show was definitely great. I love reading fairy tales and thinking about the lessons that can be gleamed from them, so an anime dedicated to them was a dream in my book. 8/10
May 17, 8:38 AM

Jun 2021
Least intense out of all the 6, wouldn't say bad tho

ıllıllı 𝘚𝘦𝘵 𝘣𝘺 : Cozii ıllıllı | ᑕᗩᖇᗪ ᑕOᒪᒪEᑕTIOᑎ | • • ᗪEᒪIᐯEᖇY • •
May 20, 12:29 AM

Feb 2010
I didn’t think anything could top Hansel and Gretel but I think this one might be my favorite or a tie. I was glued to the screen. Very fun episode. I loved Maria. I don’t really think it has much to do with the actual fairy tale but i loved it as its own story.
Really hope they make more of these plus I absolutely love the art and character designs, especially Charlotte. She’s super pretty.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
May 22, 12:35 PM
Sep 2009
This was actually my favorite episode. The dialogue was really good. And the animation was stellar.
May 25, 9:27 AM
Jul 2017
Can somebody explain to me where's the traveler? And why does Maria's hair turn red? Wtf is going on?
Jun 16, 3:11 PM
Jun 2017
Reply to salamander750
Can somebody explain to me where's the traveler? And why does Maria's hair turn red? Wtf is going on?
@salamander750

Theory:

I’ve got this theory after finishing the series, but I don’t see a lot of other people talking about it (and it’s definitely got some plot holes for now) but here goes:

What if every episode features the “same” red haired character?

Each of the episodes have a red haired character with green eyes that are essential to the story. And at the end we see the traveller “becoming” or “merging” with Maria. Maria then has red hair and green eyes, in a seemingly completely different world and setting.

My theory is that each of these red haired characters are all the “traveller”, as the traveller merges with different people and jumps to different ages and settings. I also think Charlotte is one of these, and that the red hair at the end hints towards the truth behind her identity and character. It usually looking pink is definitely a deliberate choice, likely to make the connection less obvious until the end of the series.

Why:

When the traveller asks Maria if she wants to leave, they tell her that the outside world will both be filled with joyful and terrible things. Maria says that they will all be beautiful.

Throughout the six episodes the settings and mood are wildly different, featuring things that are thrilling and wondrous in their own ways. So it kinda made me think that the different “reincarnations” or “mergings” of the traveller were seeking beautiful experiences in their own ways. The traveller might also have the power to move through time or to different worlds.

I’ll list the red haired character below:

Episode 1 - Cinderella:

Kiyoko’s doll. Kiyoko’s doll is a red haired and green eyed doll that closely resembles Charlotte, the younger sister of the Grimm brothers. This is especially accurate in her hairstyle.

It’s a bit vague, but I think it’s possible to interpret the doll as a different side to Kiyoko (but it is also not impossible to think of them as two separate entities). Kiyoko and her doll seem to chase the joy and thrill of playing with people (beauty in the theatre that results of her manipulation).

Episode 2 - Little Red Riding Hood:

“Mama”, the old woman who organises the hunt between Grey and Scarlet. She has red hair and green eyes, and her purple robe is held together with a green pin similar to Charlotte’s dress.

All of the things in Mama’s room are “real” and her business is a particular taste. Additionally at the end of the episodes she says to the bird in the cage that “I’ve seen many people depart. Little Red Riding Hoods, wolves, and other creatures…” This last part, about other creatures, could potentially point towards the traveller having experiences a lot of other worlds and have seen many people and creatures die in them. I don’t think it’s a far fetch to assume that she finds beauty in life and death.

Episode 3 - Hansel and Gretel:

Hansel and Gretel. I’ve seen a lot of people be unhappy with the reveal that Gretel isn’t real, but I feel like this makes more sense if Hansel is the traveller. If this is right it would make sense for them to try and find a reason for the two characters to actually be one, if the traveller really merges/reincarnates with people.

Unlike previous travellers, Hansel is a lot less morbid and more pure hearted. He chases the truth and is very intrigued by the things around himself. There’s not much that is straightforward something that Hansel finds “beautiful”. His bond with his sister might have been the closest thing.

Episode 4 - The Elves and the Shoemaker:

The elf, or little girl with pink overalls, has red hair and green eyes. She only shows up when Mr. N is drunk and in despair during the beginning and end of the episode. The elf seems very intrigued by his writing but is also ruthless with her critique; at the end of the episode she says that she was very intrigued by the story he was supposed to write (“From the Shores of Stupor”).

The elf has great knowledge about writing despite her age, and also makes a very morbid joke that’s surprising for her age. It’s difficult to think of her as regular a human child. The elf seems to find beauty in passion and hard work.

Episode 5 - The Town Musicians of Bremen

Rooster, the young girl taken in by the Wade brothers, has red hair and green eyes. She has maybe less of a presence than the previous red haired characters, but she is nonetheless the character that has the most internal conflict in the episode. She is constantly shown and mentioned, making us focus on her role to play in the story.

Rooster is looking for her place in the world, and besides her backstory and the scene where she attempts to kill the eldest Wade brother, comes across as a very calm and kind person. She seems to find beauty in family and belonging.

Episode 6 - Pied Piper of Hamelin:

The traveller has red hair and green eyes. They are a mysterious character from the beginning, bringing “forbidden and alien knowledge” to the villagers of Hamelin. Maria, upon talking to the traveller, notes that beautiful and wonderful things set people free. The traveller lusts for adventure and new experiences, and Maria lusts for beauty and freedom. Maria also says that beautiful things “change us”.

When Maria wants to leave the village, the traveller warns her that “You might also see things even uglier and more dreadful.” Which Maria responds to with “That is wonderful too.” The scene ends with the traveller transforming into a shapeless entity resembling the universe, and Maria is enveloped.

When Maria awakes she has red hair and green eyes, and only the cloak remains of the traveller. Maria has changed into the traveller. Her personality still resembles herself though. A time skip happens and Maria is talking to a young girl in the park; time seems to have moved but she does not seem to have aged. Potentially the world has changed instead.

Charlotte:

Charlotte is the younger sister of the Grimm brothers. In the beginning of every episode she is featured as either listening or questioning the stories that her brother tell her. The episodes (variations) of Grimm’a stories can also be interpreted as Charlotte’s spin on the fairytales.

She is usually featured as having green eyes and pink hair, but in the after credits of the sixth episode her portrait has bright red hair. Charlotte always seem pure and innocent to her brothers, but to us the viewers she has an air of mystery and cruel intrigue.

A couple other things can be noted from the scenes we see Charlotte in; she is seen playing with dolls (like Kiyoko), doesn’t like to eat meat (similar to Grey not wanting to eat meat unless it is “real”), and believes that the children taken by the Piper must surely be living happily ever after (like Maria). The habits she has seem to be shown deliberately to give us an insight into her character (and all of her comments on the stories give a bit of foreshadowing into each episode as well).

Finally we have the things that Charlotte says during the after credits of episode six, that features her moving portrait. “What if a fairy tale wasn’t a fairy tale?” I feel like this hints to that Charlotte knows the truth and origins behind the stories that her brothers have collected.

Then again, Charlotte overall seem to be asking a lot of “What if” questions, and her brothers are featured in the last three episodes as background characters. I’ve seen people suggest that this actually points to Charlotte self inserting herself into the stories and adding a spin to them. So my whole theory might very well be off lol

And if you’ve read this far, I am so sorry for this long theory and explanation ahah :,)
HeadShadowJun 16, 3:27 PM
Jun 19, 3:50 PM

Jun 2019
My 273rd completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 6/10 rating.

Jun 28, 9:34 PM

Feb 2011
God, this must've been the single most annoying and boring anime episode that i've watched in a long time. Left a sour taste in my mouth.

Shame, because some of these were quite interesting, but overall series felt meaningless and ultimately it fell flat for me.
Aug 16, 1:29 PM

Jun 2019
They cooked. SO UNDERRATED !
Aug 25, 2:13 PM

Oct 2012
anticlimactic and pretentious.
Sep 2, 4:07 AM

Jan 2010
This was by far the worst episode of the bunch. I will admit the animation was pretty good, but there are too many holes and plot conveniences.
@HeadShadow nice theory. I surely wouldn't have thought of any of this.
Proud Administrator of the D Gray Man FC and OnePunch-Man FC

Sep 5, 10:44 AM
Feb 2015
The first was foreboding of red flag, it so hard to watch that i keep pausing every single time it turn to sus sitation. I know it will happen yet relieve that Maria is more than that kind of girl, serve you right. Creep

More topics from this board

Poll: » Grimm Kumikyoku Episode 3 Discussion

Cestlavie_ - Apr 17

39 by Gabilima57 »»
Oct 3, 4:25 AM

Poll: » Grimm Kumikyoku Episode 1 Discussion

RealNath - Apr 17

42 by Gabilima57 »»
Oct 3, 4:22 AM

Poll: » Grimm Kumikyoku Episode 4 Discussion

Cestlavie_ - Apr 17

46 by Tanaka-kun_vibes »»
Sep 6, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Grimm Kumikyoku Episode 5 Discussion

Cestlavie_ - Apr 17

22 by jumbosan »»
Sep 3, 9:27 AM

Poll: » Grimm Kumikyoku Episode 2 Discussion

Cestlavie_ - Apr 17

33 by jumbosan »»
Aug 5, 4:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.