Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2022 7:59 AM

Nov 2011
Seems some characters in this show had a rough past and Houkiboshi is one of them, affected by a war.

Even with some of the eerie drama, the episode still had lot of lighthearted and silly moments. Cute girls doing cute things is like a soul of this show now.
Jul 17, 2022 9:24 AM

Feb 2020
This was a really emotional episode.

I'm happy for Houkiboshi. It's nice that she got her voice back.

I can't get enough of Haizakura's cuteness. <3

Lol at that cheek stretch.

SerafosJul 3, 1:19 AM
Jul 18, 2022 7:36 AM

Apr 2010
Houkiboshi got her voice back and without the loss of her memories even if those memories are harsh.
Still it was nice of Haizakura to help her out, she is a bit hyperactive about it tho.

It was also nice of the families to contact Houkiboshi for the memorial so she could sing for them and hopefully soften their loss.
MaysaRizk said:
But it’s not out until Friday?
Reecey91 said:
MaysaRizk said:
But it’s not out until Friday?
is it friday? Animixplay says its sundays
Officially it airs on saturday morning at 0:30 JST on Tokyo MX which is Friday 17:30 CET and 8:30 PST.
However some streaming services air the episode that's supposed to air on saturday morning a week earlier on Sunday.

Also don't ask where to watch this or who those streaming services are since it goes again the forum rules.
AversaJul 18, 2022 7:46 AM
Jul 19, 2022 12:32 AM

Sep 2020
The song and the visuals are so beautiful! And that ending song is so good~
Good to see that she can speak again.
Jul 20, 2022 9:52 AM

Jul 2015
Can someone explain how streaming of this thing works?
We have waited for 1st episode till Friday, yet 2nd episode came out on the same day, but now we are waiting yet again.

Jul 21, 2022 12:53 AM

Feb 2019
Man what an episode. My fave so far. That ending song was so beautiful. Idk, key may have got their rhythm back.
Jul 21, 2022 1:33 AM
Aug 2018
I think it may be a bit soon but this show does not live up to KEY standards. To me, every KEY show must have about 24 episodes or more given you can abroad their issues and introduce more depth of character which i feel is something this show lacks off; specially our MC. I'm not really fond of her. If the show is going to focus more on drama, please do not have her goof off(cooking for example) by coping every nieche comedy/slice of life or that her singing= problem solved.
At least episode 3 showed a bit of the emotional side of KEY that we love but i feel it could be better. Let's wait i suppose.
Jul 21, 2022 5:36 AM
Dec 2020
the song was nice

the song was nice
some people...
Jul 21, 2022 5:37 AM

Mar 2021
Best episode so far Houkiboshi managed to overcome her grief and find her voice again as well as discovering her regiment loved her and cared about her so much
Jul 21, 2022 5:47 AM

Dec 2018
Honestly, the best episode so far. I really loved how they portrayed this episode's character and her song at the end was so heart-breaking. I am really interested in how the story will unfold once we have everyone's backgrounds.
Jul 21, 2022 8:01 AM

Sep 2019
I'm thoroughly enjoying the show. Definitely one of the season's hidden gems.
Jul 21, 2022 9:15 AM

May 2021
Great episode! THIS ISN'T FOLLOWING THE WEB NOVEL AT ALL...(Houkiboshi can talk fine in the WN).
Anyways, we see more of Haizakura's clumsiness xD.
'Myuu!'
She finally does it right due to Houkiboshi's help.
Always nice to see best girl Karasuba.
Houkiboshi can sing again!

Looking forward to the next episode!
Rem4lifexDJul 21, 2022 9:40 AM
AISHITERU...REM!
Jul 21, 2022 1:58 PM

May 2021
You are expecting your friends to return and then only see their ashes return. That must have hurt, especially since she had some hope.

Jul 21, 2022 4:35 PM
May 2020
This has dark issues that I fear they will gloss over. Haizakura so cute and sweet where is her PTSD?
Not to mention all of the autonomous beings, Do they all have souls?
Violet Evergarden was a slow burn of humaness. I fear this will go for the happy ending.
Jul 22, 2022 5:07 AM

Nov 2013
This show deserves more love and attention to be honest.

Kind of cruel to announce the return of a regiment and it turns out to be the ashes and a flag.

Technically they didn't lie, but could've worded things differently. "Remains of heroes finally return home" would've been better. Nothing hurts more than a glimpse of hope tuning to dust.
Jul 22, 2022 5:46 AM

Oct 2015
Houkiboshi getting her voice back should've been done later, for us to get use to her character and her backstory. Nevermind, it wasn't done badly though.

Too bad no one survived from 525th squad, but that letter was emotional and made Houkiboshi sing that beautiful song.🤗
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 22, 2022 9:29 AM

Jul 2017
Piromysl said:
Can someone explain how streaming of this thing works?
We have waited for 1st episode till Friday, yet 2nd episode came out on the same day, but now we are waiting yet again.
Technically, the streaming service ABEMA exclusively airs the episodes way ahead of time on Sundays, but HIDIVE only releases the episodes as per after the TV broadcast, which airs on upcoming Fridays (a gap of 5 days). So think of it as like a Paripi Koumei situation, but in reverse.
KANLen09Jul 22, 2022 9:36 AM
Jul 22, 2022 9:53 AM

Jul 2017
Houkiboshi's situation...doesn't seem like much with the regular maintenance and all with the war being once a capable Lady commander of her 525th Regiment, but for Haizakura, she's definitely still getting the hang of it around the Black Cat Cafe.

The reason why Houkiboshi couldn't mutter a single word, is the fact that like all defective automata, she's broken. The fix however, requires her memories to be wiped away a.k.a reset, and Haizakura being the overly-worried newbie, inquires on her backstory, which seems like the usual person of looking after her crew well. But knowing that sending them to the battlefield to sacrifice their lives for the greater good, it's this that affects her loss of ability to speak or sing, and Haizakura wants to do something about it.

Well, there's hope that comrades of her once-lead 525th Regiment are still alive, but of course, it's a rite of passage to bring back the remains of the dead as a sign of remembrance, and the traumatic memories come back for Houkiboshi. And regardless of the outcome, it's the fear that she has to overcome and give a final speech to her platoon that died honorably.

Definitely an emotional story from Houkiboshi's side.
Jul 22, 2022 10:21 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
About time Hai chan gets some training in cooking. The insight into how she held in such high regard by the men that she served with though was really nice. The goddess of the 525th huh what a apt nickname for her. But the reason as to how she lost her voice really was sad. The return of the bodies of the 525th sure was sad. But in knowing what the men thought of her as they set off for their last battle proved to be the final key that was needed to free her voice from its slumber. Houkiboshi's song for the departed really was emotional and proved to be the excellent way to remember their treasured friends and family members. Its a shame though that not one of the 525th survived their last battle though. But im sure they will be looking down fondly as Houkiboshi regains the part of her that she locked away in grief.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2022 10:24 AM

Apr 2014
This episode was very sad, emotional yet very beautiful. Gladfully, Houkiboshi gained her beautiful voice back in the end.

何それ?意味分かんない
Jul 22, 2022 11:51 AM

Jul 2014
This episode was a marked improvement on episode 2: Houkiboshi's backstory was very well-executed and emotional throughout and served as a solid explanation for why she "lost" her voice and only a memory reset could fix it (cos if she forgot the trauma that caused her to lose her voice, she'd obviously get it back). The return of the 525th Regiment's bodies was definitely the most gut-wrenching moment of the episode and a true reminder of the emotional depths Key can hit.

Sure, it's all still hindered somewhat by the slice-of-life stuff being painfully boring and Haizakura being incredibly annoying in every way (her design, voice and general mannerisms are so artificially and overtly cutesy that it's just annoying and clashes with the rest of the show's tone), but this was a definite return to form and hopefully more of a sign of the overall quality we can expect from this show than last week's episode was.
Jul 22, 2022 6:33 PM

Aug 2020
e v e r y episode tells the unique story of the characters. I am completely amazed by the short message this episode tells. Houkiboshi's voice is way too beautiful, the song left me crying mentally.

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Jul 22, 2022 8:59 PM

Feb 2021
Nice to see that Houkiboshi got her voice back. The slow life of these cute android girls continues...

Need more Gekka moments.
Jul 22, 2022 10:35 PM

Jun 2021
Houkiboshi had a really beautiful voice before. I can guess why she would have lost her voice after witnessing that kind of death and destruction for so many years. And then to learn the 525th got wiped out… damn. That letter from the captain hit me right in the damn feels. I’m glad it kind of helped assuage the guilt Houkiboshi must have felt. I’m glad she managed to get her voice back.

But man, Haizakura is so cute and she’s such a good friend. I like how bubbly and kind of a klutz she is. She’s way too adorable! It was heartwarming watching her help Houkiboshi regain her voice. She’s such a sweetheart.
Jul 23, 2022 4:04 AM

Oct 2007
another emotional episode. Glad Houkiboshi got her voice back.

feels like the writer (or writers) of this are pacifists, they're really grinding down on the tragedy and sadness that war brings.

Jul 23, 2022 2:52 PM

Nov 2009
Another cute yet somewhat sad episode.

(beginning of episode = ;D, awww, Haizakura so cute) (mid and end = T_T, I am not crying, it's just raining out of my eyes)

Cute robo-girls doing cute things while telling the story of wartime incidents... (seems like all the girls at the cafe are involved with their squad dying...)

___ ___ ___

It should be a crime to make cute robo-girls commit war acts and ends up with tragedies.

Who's idea was it to make War-machines look like cute little girls with personalities?...

___ ___ ___

Haizakura is so happy and optimistic...

Too bad the truth isn't what she hoped... "some ppls survived", hyping it up to Houkiboshi... *shows dead ppls arriving* RIP...

At least the capt left some last words...

And turns out the lost voice was a mental issue that she thought she don't deserve due to her entire squad dying. But the last letter gave her some closure and the emotion brought some of her voice back.
amlgJul 23, 2022 2:56 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Jul 23, 2022 6:15 PM

Mar 2012
Boring moe with little substance still, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and continue on..
Jul 24, 2022 1:26 AM

Oct 2014
missing some key cuts.
like the first time Houkiboshi shows her memory to Haizakura. We know they're just transferring data there, but it would be appreciated if they had show the part where Houkiboshi literally transfer data to Haizakura. (like: she's touching her cheeks, so I assume there's a port there? they even said the two linked, so) I assume this part is important in the future, too, so Chekhov's gun apply here.
the reveal of the return of the 525 (the dock scene, I mean) can use more focus on Houkiboshi's change of expression instead of Haizakura being noisy. Also you don't need to say "they're all dead" as the on-screen is already showing the viewers that they are.
the letter scene can also use some moving cuts that show the reaction of the soldiers after they saw Houkiboshi was crying

this kind of pacing in animation is what Tenshou is lacking as a director. like there are some in-animation and the ED slideshow they could be dropping instead in favor of these potential cuts. when you consider that the plot, simple maybe, is still good enough to wrench heart, this lack of delivery really hurt its potential.

ps.: not to say the ED art is bad, ofc. it's very pretty. it just that in the first place it shouldn't exist in the anime. they could just distribute that in another way.
Revvie-chanJul 24, 2022 1:34 AM
Jul 24, 2022 11:17 AM

Feb 2017
might've cried while houkiboshi was reading the captain's letter. and the scene of her singing to the family members of the deceased was really touching

placeholder text
Jul 24, 2022 8:33 PM

Dec 2009
This is turning out to be an incredible show.

I was on the bring of all-out crying multiple times throughout. It's been a long time since i've seen such a moving tale over such a short span.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jul 25, 2022 1:21 AM

May 2019
AkeZZZ said:
This episode was very sad, emotional yet very beautiful. Gladfully, Houkiboshi gained her beautiful voice back in the end.

Agreed with what said, and thanks for the YouTube embedded ED for this episode.

Wish this anime was more popular as it's pretty good, especially as a SoL and CGDCT. The pattern I see is that every girl will have their own episode with their backstory and I'm guessing it will all be tied in at the end.
Jul 27, 2022 10:06 AM

Jan 2017
Houkiboshi's backstory and resolve to her conflict was nice albeit a bit too fast, seems like we're going on a 1-episode per Doll for now. Though I still think Key's stuff works best with 20 or more episodes as it's honestly hard to feel for the characters when we barely get to know them
Jul 29, 2022 6:24 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Definitely an emotional episode for Houkiboshi, of course she has some traumatism from the war that caused her to not be able to speak anymore and be "broken" but that was especially nice how through letters and writing she could find the emotional support from her deceased friend and could be fixed to even sing in front of everyone :o
Jul 30, 2022 5:39 PM

Jun 2021
This anime is a masterpiece and no one is talking about this
Jul 30, 2022 7:59 PM
Jan 2015
This is an interesting concept. Basically humanlike dolls dealing with their war-based PTSD in different ways, so far series goes into 3 different stories.
Aug 14, 2022 2:05 PM
Feb 2021
super odcinek mó klimat
Sep 24, 2022 8:47 AM

Apr 2011
The feels hurt. You await the return home of your formers comrade only to see their now ashes. This makes her the only survivor. Houkiboshi's voice returned
after reading the letter. And made her sing once again for them. Makes me wonder what kind of war are they fighting? And also it makes me curious about Haizakura's past a bit more which
I think will be revealed later in the series.
Oct 24, 2022 9:04 PM

Feb 2014
I saw the feels drawing near but it still hurt.

We don´t know much what happened nor there was much time since we know the characters, but these episodes are still managing to makes me emotionally affected. I guess this is one of those example of situations that 'try hard' is not necessary to make a scene or episode emotionaly effective.
TechOtakuOct 24, 2022 9:08 PM
Oct 31, 2022 11:19 PM

Feb 2021
Her voice are coming back because She can fight her trauma.
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 25, 2023 7:09 PM
Jun 2014
 The cringe factor with this idol singing crap is sky high
Sep 8, 2023 5:59 AM

Nov 2019
Onion ninja got me :'(

More topics from this board

Poll: » Prima Doll Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2022

58 by Sniffer94 »»
Oct 8, 8:56 AM

Poll: » Prima Doll Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2022

31 by wildhood »»
Aug 5, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Prima Doll Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2022

28 by Cabbage_Cat »»
Jul 26, 2:53 AM

Poll: » Prima Doll Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2022

73 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Jun 13, 12:57 AM

» Cringe

Stormen - Mar 26, 2023

11 by RSGX »»
Apr 11, 2023 3:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.