Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side: Sword Oratoria (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 2, 2021 8:22 PM

Mar 2020
how do you think the story holds its own against some other fantasy novels? overall how good bell's growth is thoughtout the story both as a character and fighter? thoughts on side characters as well?
Aug 2, 2021 8:25 PM

Aug 2017
Season 1 meh
Season 2 bad
Season 3 trash
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 2, 2021 8:26 PM
Jul 2018
Season 1 was pretty bad but still entertaining.
Aug 2, 2021 8:29 PM

Jan 2021
I think season one was ok. But I couldn’t get into it.
Season 2 was bad
Season 3 was horrible and trash
Aug 2, 2021 8:30 PM

Jun 2020
season 1 was watchable, season 2 was hard to watch, season 3 i had to drop because it pained me to continue
Aug 2, 2021 8:31 PM

Mar 2020
as i only watched S1
Going by first few replies seems like s2 and s3 sucked balls
hmm so its another generic power fantasy novel? (with an underdog instead of op mc)
Guess having weak mc does not mean every time it will be great either ( again i didnt watch s2 and s3 but still)
Aug 2, 2021 8:34 PM

Sep 2014
This anime is so forgettable. I watched Oratoria because my favourite Seiyuu voiced the MC aside of that, meh.
Aug 2, 2021 8:48 PM

Mar 2021
SAO 2.0 I remember the MC having a personality close to a cardboard
Aug 2, 2021 8:56 PM

Nov 2020
only watched the first season and not planning to watch another season. it wasnt that interesting

Aug 2, 2021 10:43 PM
Jul 2018
I was told by some dude in reddit that Writing Quality is on par with Monogatari,ReZero,Jobless Reincarnation level .............
Aug 2, 2021 10:53 PM

Sep 2018
They were alright, solid 7/10s.... I would classify it as a mindless fun sort of anime. Development is really slow in DanMachi
Aug 3, 2021 2:31 AM

May 2021
It's utterly mediocre in every aspect with season 2 being the trashiest part of the story. All the characters are forgettable as well and Bell stays the same except getting stronger physically. It's still entertaining to a certain extent tho.
Aug 3, 2021 2:40 AM

Aug 2019
I think it’s a pretty chill show, and I’ll be watching season 4 when it airs next year
Aug 3, 2021 2:42 AM

Apr 2020
Just like how every jc staff anime adaption. The more season it’s getting, the more trashier it become. Perfect example is shokugeki no soma.
Aug 3, 2021 3:01 AM

Oct 2018
Danmachi is so average that it's bad, Jesus.
The definition of mediocrity.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Aug 3, 2021 3:42 AM

Apr 2019
Nurguburu said:
Season 1 meh
Season 2 bad
Season 3 trash
Perfect summary. I blame the fact that our all favorite boob loli Hestia gets less and less screen time and ecchi scenes. Boob loli is a thing, it's a character design with the body and face of a classic loli, but a sizable rack plugged on it. The show is as average as it gets, but somehow comfy so I keep watching, in the hope Hestia will return to S1 glory. Albeit I would say S2 = trash and S3 improves it to bad again.

Aug 3, 2021 3:48 AM

Feb 2020
It's one of least favorite series I have watched I don't like any of the main characters and the plot is so basic. I stopped watching after season 2 because the side characters and their story is way more interesting then Bells I want to get stronger for the girl I love king of story. Also I hate Hestia.
Aug 3, 2021 4:01 AM
May 2009
Its fine. Season 1 was decent enough to rewatch.
Season 2 felt rushed too much happening in little time.
Season 3 felt more focused but rushed at the same time.
Movie was........ not really sure what the movie was about.
OVA's are fan service so they serve thier purpose.

Overall its a show that you can watch without paying much attention to.
Aug 3, 2021 4:08 AM

Oct 2019
Dropped season 1, the mc with big boobs was super annoying. Also heard it gets much worse in later seasons.

Aug 3, 2021 5:02 AM

Oct 2020
I watched it just bc it had the romance tag and literally there was no romance at all. I saw all 3 seasons and it was ok. I didn't like any character of the series though but I'll sitll watch S4.

Aug 3, 2021 5:13 AM

Mar 2020
It’s so bad that it’s funny and can be considered a comedy.

Hestia’s tits hold the show together.
Aug 3, 2021 5:18 AM
Oct 2016
Season one instantly became one of my favorite anime. I started to buy the light novels because of that.
Season two was OK and season 3 was OK, but something was missing.
All three seasons are mostly very close to the source material
Aug 3, 2021 5:35 AM

Dec 2013
Loved season 1, people say the story is basic but I like the legend of the argonaut and a ''hero'' at large being explored in the story it has a lot of charm, there is a particular fight where you can hear what seems to be like a hammer hitting metal to temper it like a blacksmith would, which is an absolutely epic touch at least as far as I am concerned.

Season 2 was pretty lackluster in comparison, season 3, however, was interesting because it tried to explore Daedelus and Knossos. And focused more on the mystery of the labyrinth. But it seems like not everyone derived the same kind of enjoyment I did from this.

I'd say if you are interested in mythology at all you'll have something to like about the show even if some plot points are pretty cliche or cheesy.
Aug 3, 2021 5:37 AM
Jul 2020
Season 1 - Average
Season 2 - Bad
Season 3 - Bad
Aug 3, 2021 7:32 AM

Sep 2014
Tendo_GM said:

That's because it's actually a comedy anime.
Aug 3, 2021 7:37 AM

Mar 2020
Hrybami said:
Tendo_GM said:

It is? I thought its action adventure etc mainly
Aug 3, 2021 7:38 AM

Sep 2014
AnimeFA78N said:
Hrybami said:
It is? I thought its action adventure etc mainly
Yes. Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Romance, Fantasy.
Aug 3, 2021 7:41 AM

Jan 2009
its fine i started watching it because of Hestia and i like seasons 3 coexistence plot well at least the execution of it because its not an original plot anyway ye stay woke

still waiting for them to fight dragons though since its Dungeons and Dragons although its foreshadowed in the end of season 2 already
Aug 3, 2021 8:45 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Danmachi as an anime is very mediocre and it basically serves as an advertisement for the LN and to help sell Hestia figurines. Season 1 was not so bad, but Seasons 2 & 3 left a lot to be desired. I wish Danmachi would get the same treatment as Re: Zero or Slime Isekai in a sense that it will get 24 episodes instead of 12 so we can get more out of the story that is subject to cut content like other LN adaptations. The only reason why I watch is because I like how Greek mythology is tied to this story, I still like Hestia, but like another person said she hasn't got a lot of screen time lately. I'm still on the fence about watching Season 4, but I feel its going to be more of the same like previous seasons with a lot of cut content.

If you really like Danmachi, just stick to the LN and don't bother with the anime.   
AddaeAkonoJan 3, 2023 11:09 AM
Aug 3, 2021 9:06 AM

Oct 2020
its good but has its problems, hestia is oversucked and jc staff shows it all the time , plus they removed all the ais scenes so her character looks extremely bland all the time , all because of hestia . s1 was good as a starter, s2 was ass, s3 was like s1 only a bit worse

"Hard work is worthless for those that don’t believe in themselves" - Naruto Uzumaki
Aug 3, 2021 9:07 AM
Jul 2018
I have seen season 1 and a little of 2 I think, but I gave up because I saw the bait and switch coming of oh this character is a nobody rising through the ranks but you quickly find out that he's actually a very important somebody, it just so happens that he doesn't know it, not interested into these self pity struggle starting shows that actually surprise it's a generic self insert wish fulfilment actually, which is what this show is
Aug 3, 2021 9:22 AM

Nov 2016
I haven't finished S3 yet and for the most part it's a pretty harmless and confy show with some fun moments then and there, Hestia is obviously great and the blue girl in S3 is really cute.
Aug 3, 2021 9:38 AM

Sep 2016
even though i dislike all characters, and find them all hella annoying, i'm still gonna continue watching the next few seasons, hoping for the show to get better.
the first season was fine, but the next two really sucked.
Aug 5, 2021 1:34 AM

Oct 2008
It's better then "Konosuba"
Bell - I like the direction in which he is growing.
Hestia - has distanced herself from Bell, compared to s1
Freiya - not as villainous as I thought
Aiz - not enough backstory
Jan 3, 2023 9:56 AM
Sep 2022
wow what a bunch of sourpusses. i thought it was really good. maybe you just have bad taste... that can't be helped. 

i noticed people like to be super critical for no reason. i don't even read reviews before i watch because there are always haters nit picking

just watch what you enjoy. unless it actually is trash like for example "a lull in the sea"

Jan 3, 2023 11:27 AM
Jul 2018
I really enjoyed it, it was a lot of fun
Of course it's not on par with the top fantasy novels because it's an anime and I've never watched an anime that was on par with the top novels
Jan 3, 2023 11:34 AM

Jan 2019
danmidchi
i think overall its kinda boring. i managed s1 and s2 but couldnt be arsed to finish 3. theres just not much excitement to it.
Jan 3, 2023 11:43 AM

Jun 2019
Danmachi started off as a high fantasy harem with Greco/Roman mythology and has gotten darker in last couple of seasons, still with the odd nod to fan service but story is genuinely good imho. S4 was going back to the roots of S1 with dungeon crawling and I'm here for it. CGI monsters a bit weak but I'm just happy to get more Danmachi. Wouldn't mind a bit more Aiz though. 

I like how the show tried to address Hestia's obsession with Bell and described how mortal and non mortal romance never works as the human gets old and dies, however, that doesn't mean they couldn't have a physical relationship as many of the gods do with those in their familia (even Welf and Hesphation iirc), but Hestia would never be satisfied with that alone.

Also the main theme Argonaut is amazing, one of the best core OST themes for a show I've ever heard.

Finally, Danmachi is a pure fantasy, so many people mistake it for an isekai. Just being pure fantasy with the city of Orario puts it above most isekai that have to explain the reincarnation/transfer to another world whereas Danmachi drops you into this fully formed world of gods and monsters.
23feanorJan 3, 2023 11:50 AM
Jan 3, 2023 2:06 PM

Apr 2013
Except for the last season, the adaptation goes from bad to very mediocre at best. Worse being season 2 's adaptation where they dropped the ball heavily.
And the adaptation of Sword Oratoria is even worse than that, it's a massive failure and a huge disappointment.
Last season was well done though. Finally.

The novels are fine though. Not excellent, not going to be the best fantasy novels ever written and far from it, but they're fine. Main characters are decent, battles are entertaining and usually pretty epic, story is pretty well written with lots of foreshadowing and the author had a clear goal in mind from the starts and it shows; some pretty impressive reveals, some great suspense and thrilling moments, some good development for some (not all) of the side cast so far as well. It reads easily, has no plot holes from what I can see, not really any annoying character either (well, Lefiya was a bit annoying in the novels as well but she has had a lot of growth since then so I'm perfectly fine with it).

I don't regret picking them up and I intend to continue buying and reading them. Adding all volumes I've read of Danmachi so far I'm at 31 right now. I'll have 6 more volumes to read soon since there was a 6 volumes in 6 months release (3 of them have yet to be released) so I'll be at 37 after April.
Jan 7, 2023 1:15 AM
Community Mod
Entranced

Mar 2022
Thread has been moved to the correct board.
Oct 1, 2:38 AM

Apr 2011
I'm only halfway through season 1 but most comments in this thread are way harsher than the scores and reviews for this anime would have you believed.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2017

137 by Warchiii »»
Oct 6, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 26, 2017

49 by Abdul_raheem211 »»
Aug 19, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 12, 2017

82 by HikaruKaneko »»
Jul 15, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2017

70 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Feb 27, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2017

54 by Donkunsan »»
Feb 24, 3:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.