Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 5, 2020 1:39 PM

Aug 2007
Night Head Genesis is the first psychological and supernatural anime I've watched, and needless to say despite the fact that it is underrated, I liked it. This new anime is unexpected, and I got even more hyped after watching the trailer. The futuristic theme, the VA announcement, and BGM reminded me of Psycho-Pass.

The question is.. is this going to be a remake? An entirely new story? Because they don't even look exactly like the characters from the original anime series. Nevertheless, added to PTW. Can't wait to hear more details, and welcome back Kirihaya brothers, I guess. :-)

MonotonousNov 5, 2020 1:44 PM
もろともに
哀れと思へ
山桜

花より外に
知る人もなし.

On a mountain slope,
Solitary, uncompanioned,
Stands a cherry tree.

Except for you, lonely friend,
To others I am unknown.

Nov 5, 2020 1:47 PM

Jan 2013
It's been so long ago since I watched the original, I barely remember anything from it.
Might have to rewatch it with this coming out.
Nov 5, 2020 1:59 PM

Oct 2014
That's surprising to say the least. NHG is one of the few anime I actually bothered writing a review about due to its interesting themes and passive style of storytelling. Really enjoyed how the viewer was forced to piece things together himself using the droplets of information given out, leaving the plot covered up and always one step ahead of you.

Quite excited for this, and the CGI is looking pretty decent too.
Nov 5, 2020 2:29 PM

Jan 2008
I'm excited. Genesis looks dated now so a refresh on it is very much appreciated.

Definitely prefer the old look of the characters much more though.
Nov 5, 2020 3:19 PM
Nov 2017
It's been about a year now since I first watched Night Head Genesis so this is a surprise, the characters look impressing, I'm looking forward to it!
Nov 5, 2020 3:41 PM

Jun 2015
This is probably one of the last anime I expected to get revisited.
Nov 5, 2020 3:43 PM

Jun 2013
I would like to watch the original live action from the 90s. Does anyone know where I can find it (with subtitles)?
Nov 5, 2020 4:00 PM

Mar 2014
Not really a fan of exclusively CGI anime but I think I'll give this a try since I also have the old adaptation on my ptw.
Nov 5, 2020 7:06 PM
Sep 2019
I am very excited for this
Has a cool cyberpunk look to it
Plus Yutaka Yamada is composing the music.
Cant wait
Nov 5, 2020 9:32 PM
Jan 2013
It's looks totally different from the Original Night head.. seems more like a futuristic/action type of thing. I liked the original quite a lot so not sure about how this would turn out. Excited for it nevertheless.
Nov 6, 2020 5:27 AM

Mar 2012
The characters look completely different in the PV even though the brothers have the same name, also I'm not a fan of CGI.
Nov 6, 2020 4:47 PM
Aug 2019
I didn't expect to see that name again I loved this anime. But when I saw the trailer It really dissapointed, the kirihara brothers look so different and lame . 🙁
NinojoeDec 9, 2021 4:16 PM
Nov 7, 2020 4:24 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Effete said:

I know right. I saw the notification and had a moment of "...what the heck?!"

Original is super obscure and underrated. Definitely deserving of a remake! (even though I never finished it, I should do that haha).

A shame it's CGI though. I'm yet to see or recall a decent CGI anime. D:

Dec 6, 2020 12:55 PM
Mar 2020
quercifolia said:
Effete said:

Original is super obscure and underrated. Definitely deserving of a remake! (even though I never finished it, I should do that haha).

It seems you barely watch CGI animes then. Beastars is said to be one of the best-looking CGI animes out there, followed by Houseki no Kuni (both from the same studio).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXsURQxoGe8

Season 2's trailer already got 2+ million views and people loving it despite the CGI.
Jan 5, 2021 8:30 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Ketrod said:
quercifolia said:

It seems you barely watch CGI animes then. Beastars is said to be one of the best-looking CGI animes out there, followed by Houseki no Kuni (both from the same studio).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXsURQxoGe8

Season 2's trailer already got 2+ million views and people loving it despite the CGI.

Ehhhh, to be honest I find these visually atrocious, just in general I find Japanese character CGI to be awful. CGI backgrounds? They can be great if they're rendered nicely. Cars? Usually not so bad. Special effects? can look excellent (eg, tales of vesperia: the first strike). And CGI can be used to rotoscope (rendering a 3d animation, or even using live action footage then essentially tracing over it in 2d to get nice, realistic movements).

A show or movie can look great in full CGI too... But it needs one crucial thing... budget. Compared to American productions, Japanese budget is really low.

Take for example "Stand by me Doraemon"... It is a Japanese movie with pretty decent CGI, on par I guess, with Pixar and the like. It also has the 5th highest budget for a Japanese movie ever made to date, with $35 million USD budget. And it is the second highest budget for an anime. (Princess Kaguya by ghibli being first ... and in fact most of the top budget films for Japan are Ghibli. (Ghibli, who notably don't even use CGI.) Well, except for their newly announced movie, Earwig and the Witch, mixed reactions to that, looks fine I guess.

In comparison, American movies can range in budget from $60M (kubo and the two strings) to 90M (toy story 2, finding nemo) and even higher ~$200M (monsters university)...
sources: 01 02

But really, the average anime has very little chance of having enough budget to get out of the uncanny valley, which that trailer is pretty firmly stuck in, at least for me. The textures are fine and I'm sure the story is great, but visually, the trailer you shared ... to me it looks more like a low-budget jrpg on the ps3. In fact, I've seen j-rpg's with better graphics than that.

notably I did find one CGI anime that looks pretty good. And that's mainly because it's super stylish animation

tl;dr

Without a decent budget Japanese full on cgi is basically like adding salt to your cooking. If it's not balanced right or done with skill and care, your food is going end up inedible. Of course, some people like uber salty food, and that's ok too. but not everyone.

Jan 20, 2021 8:48 PM
May 2016
the CGI looks freakin' amazing! the style is also pretty good, I'll give this a watch
Feb 16, 2021 12:19 PM
Sep 2019
I cant wait for this.

Cgi looks decent alot better then ex arm omg 😅😅😅😅
And intrested in learning more about the story
Mar 30, 2021 1:53 AM

Nov 2017
This is visually appalling. CGI anime is very rarely done correctly so I don’t understand why studios opt for fully CGI anime. I mean, it looks like a fucking video game. If it was, dope, but as a show— you might as well be sitting through a 24 minute cut scene from some shitty indie-dev project. The backgrounds actually look really fucking good, but the character models and special effects clash with it and they look like they belong to two separate anime.

Why can’t our prayers be answered and a s2 of Houseki no Kuni be sent to us instead.
ErmaticaMar 30, 2021 1:57 AM
Apr 21, 2021 2:16 AM

Nov 2007
Mid Media Project which includes web manga, novel, and stage announced
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/425396

Teaser
Main Cast
https://www.ota-suke.jp/news/261902

ED: "Shion (シオン)" by Myuk (provided by Eve)
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/435969
tsubasaloverJul 7, 2021 10:50 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 3, 2021 9:56 AM
Nov 2020
is this a remake? or a sequel thingy?
Jul 13, 2021 8:24 PM

Jan 2018
so is this a remake?
Should I watch the old one first or this is thought to be watched instead of the old one?
Jul 14, 2021 11:36 AM
May 2020
For me personally, it feels like a sequel? So maybe wouldn't make sense to start with it, I would rec just to read the 3 Vols of it honestly.
SeiliasJul 14, 2021 11:42 AM
Jul 14, 2021 11:39 AM
May 2020
Ermatica said:
This is visually appalling. CGI anime is very rarely done correctly so I don’t understand why studios opt for fully CGI anime. I mean, it looks like a fucking video game. If it was, dope, but as a show— you might as well be sitting through a 24 minute cut scene from some shitty indie-dev project. The backgrounds actually look really fucking good, but the character models and special effects clash with it and they look like they belong to two separate anime.

Why can’t our prayers be answered and a s2 of Houseki no Kuni be sent to us instead.

I'm pretty sure CGI is the future of anime (makes more sense with costs, production process, but like I said maybe more in the future). The first look at this ep was really good
Jul 16, 2021 7:42 AM

Sep 2007
I totally didn't realize this was a remake of the 1992 anime until this thread - when I pulled it up, I found that I had dropped it halfway through watching, and gave it a low score. Now I'm curious why I did that because I totally love this genre.

Will have to pull it up and try to watch through it again from beginning to end, though after the first episode of this remake, I'm finding it hard to stay engaged.

I don't mind CGI (as long as it's well done like Ajin, Sidonia, or Inuyashiki), and the artwork so far is pleasing.

But I now it bothers me - was it the story, or characters, or pace I couldn't stand? I guess I'll have to dust off some cobwebs and try again!!
Jul 23, 2021 9:55 AM

Jun 2019
I have the same question. Putting it forward to anyone watching this series who has also seen the 2006 series as I have absolutely no way of knowing to what extent this is a remake or a sequel.

I was looking to possibly add this to the handful of new seasonals I am watching for the summer of 2021 season, but then I stumbled upon very quickly the fact that an earlier series exists.

The only thing I can compare it to recently as a prospective viewer is Higurashi. I don't want to inadvertently wind up in the camp of wronged people who mistakenly watched the newer (2020) season of that first thinking it was a remake/reboot based on some either misinformation or disinformation.

Only those who have seen the original season in its entirety as well as watched the episodes of this new season/series released so far will be in any position to meaningfully say authoritatively.

Hopefully someone clears this up as this series seems to be relatively unpopular with low traffic.

I'm asking again because, while I realize full well this topic thread already has a lot of responses, all but one of them are from before this current season/series even aired.

So is it a new series or another season of a pre-existing one?
WatchTillTandavaJul 23, 2021 9:58 AM
Aug 6, 2021 2:18 PM
Phantom Thief

Jan 2012
WatchTillTandava said:
I have the same question. Putting it forward to anyone watching this series who has also seen the 2006 series as I have absolutely no way of knowing to what extent this is a remake or a sequel.

I was looking to possibly add this to the handful of new seasonals I am watching for the summer of 2021 season, but then I stumbled upon very quickly the fact that an earlier series exists.

The only thing I can compare it to recently as a prospective viewer is Higurashi. I don't want to inadvertently wind up in the camp of wronged people who mistakenly watched the newer (2020) season of that first thinking it was a remake/reboot based on some either misinformation or disinformation.

Only those who have seen the original season in its entirety as well as watched the episodes of this new season/series released so far will be in any position to meaningfully say authoritatively.

Hopefully someone clears this up as this series seems to be relatively unpopular with low traffic.

I'm asking again because, while I realize full well this topic thread already has a lot of responses, all but one of them are from before this current season/series even aired.

So is it a new series or another season of a pre-existing one?

its a new series with elements from the past series.
You can watch either series and get sorta the same story of one set of MCs
They have different plot elements and other characters but the main two brothers are the focus of the old show
There are similiar scenes from the OG in the new series, so if you know what happens you can probably figure it out.
But it isnt the exact same.

Episode 1 persay has a similiar plot line from the OG series's episode 1.
But there are a ton of new elements and slightly different things.

As far as Ive seen (Epi 4) it isnt like higuarashis new title at all. It is not a sequel... just a spiritual remake with modern elements
Nov 4, 2021 3:38 AM

Oct 2008
Gave it one episode and dropped it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Night Head 2041 Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2021

18 by RGreatDanton »»
May 9, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Night Head 2041 Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Sep 29, 2021

23 by littlefrank103 »»
Mar 22, 10:21 PM

Poll: » Night Head 2041 Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Sep 22, 2021

10 by littlefrank103 »»
Mar 22, 9:39 PM

Poll: » Night Head 2041 Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Sep 15, 2021

7 by littlefrank103 »»
Mar 22, 9:15 PM

Poll: » Night Head 2041 Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Sep 8, 2021

14 by littlefrank103 »»
Mar 22, 8:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.